Old 01-27-2004, 12:09 AM   #1  

Height: 5'1"

Default Water and other tips....

Why we should be drinking water. I read this on the MSN news and thought I would share it in case some of us haven't seen it.

http://www.gerd.msn.com/GERDUp2004-2Water.asp

Somewhere in the article it tells you how much water you need for your weight.

Always good to have some healthy information!

Last edited by M.N.J.; 02-17-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:28 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

Thanks for the link, Marti!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:06 PM   #3  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Yes, thanks Marti. I have seen this before but it is always good to refresh ones memory. I printed it out so I could have it handy to hopefully help me to drink more water.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:39 PM   #4  

I saw this and thought I should add it to the tips. If only I felt good about walking in the RAIN!!
Marti

Walking may be the easiest way to exercise: It improves circulation, mobility and balance, helps you lose weight, and even works to prevent osteoporosis - and all you have to do is put one foot in front of the other. You don't even need any complicated gear.

But once winter rolls around, you're more likely to hang up your walking shoes and reach for the hot chocolate and a seat on the couch, right? That's a nice, cozy solution but not a very healthy one. And just because it's not sunny and warm outside doesn't mean you should hibernate inside all winter - or even restrict your exercise to the gym.

"Walking outdoors in winter is extremely invigorating, almost meditative," says Suzanne Nottingham, a recent IDEA Health and Fitness Source Fitness Instructor of the Year, who walks outside in the Lake Tahoe area whenever she can - even in the colder months. "It's like you're part of nature, walking in the midst of howling winds, blowing snow and a bright sun. And it's quiet, not many people are out."

But there's even more reason to venture out in wintertime: In colder temperatures, you actually burn more calories per hour. "Your body works harder to keep you warm," explains Tim Culwell, American Council of Exercise spokesperson.

Walking Tips
So, ready to get outside? Here's some advice that will help you stay safe and warm when you're walking in winter:

Ease into it. "Cold muscles tend to spasm," says Nottingham, "so start off slow."
Walk at a moderate or slow pace. Winter roads and paths can be icy. "The bigger your strides, the more you risk falling," he warns.
Bring water. Don't assume you only need water in summertime. Dry winter air is dehydrating, too, and you do sweat away water in winter - you just don't always realize it.
Walk with the wind, not against it - at least when you're starting out.
Stay safe. In low-visibility and bad-road conditions, you don't want to walk where there's traffic. Instead, head to parks, bike paths, high school tracks, or residential streets that draw very few cars. If it gets really cold, try walking at the mall.
Three layers of clothing are advisable. "It's better to have and not need," says Nottingham. Your first layer should stick to skin, like long johns, so cold can't creep in.
Avoid cotton. "Try clothes made out of material that will keep moisture away from your skin, so you won't get cold. Nike's Dri-Fit clothes are a good bet," advises Nottingham.
Gloves (ski gloves if it's snowing), a hat, and a neck gator (a muff for your neck that's popular with skiers) help you keep warm. If your ears, hands or head get cold, you should head inside.
Sunglasses or, if it's snowing, goggles with a light-colored lens, protect your eyes from snow glare.
Studded outdoor walking shoes give you extra traction on slippery surfaces. "Lightweight hiking boots are a good option, too," says Culwell, "but stay away from heavy boots that are geared for climbing."
Don't layer your socks - you can get blisters. Instead try Thorlo socks, thin socks that really keep feet warm.
Reflective gear is always a good idea, especially on heavily trafficked roads.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:35 PM   #5  

Cool! Thanks!
Kayecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:56 PM   #6  
self portrait

Good idea Marti, we should meet up and have a long cold walk. I have always enjoyed going for a walk when it is a little cooler out, because it doesn't seem like I am working as hard and I don't get as out of breath or smelly with the sweat.
SqueakMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:58 PM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Great tips Marti! Funny how when it is cold out I do what they say not to do. I do layer socks, because my feet always get cold. I don't think to take water. I do however layer my clothes, but I wear cotton! Never dreamed cotton would be bad for walking in the winter time.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 04:11 PM   #8  
GmaTo8

I had a couple of questions about this advice, too.

How can you walk with the wind (as he advises) both coming AND going?? Ya gotta come back sooner or later.

Why not wear cotton?? Cotton at least absorbs sweat - polyester leaves it sticking to your body! I think the article means wear Dri-Fit stuff if you have it. But in the winter, with a coat on, I've never had a problem getting cold.

Also, I layer my sox when walking a lot - like all four trips to Disney - to AVOID blisters. This lets the sox rub against each other instead of me, and I never get a blister when layering.

Good advice about the water and reflective gear, though.

Thanks for starting this thread, Marti!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:30 AM   #9  

Smile Exercise!!

Excuse-Proof Your Exercise Plan
5 surefire ways to stick with the program
by Michele Stanten

We all do it: We blow off working out. We don't have time. We don't like doing it. We're intimidated. Or it just doesn't seem worth all the effort.

Well, here are tricks for getting past those common excuses. Exercise can be simpler (and feel easier) than you ever imagined.

Excuse: It doesn't feel good.
Solution: Do a cool-down. Finishing your workout with 5 minutes of easy activity can make it more enjoyable, according to a study by Britton W. Brewer, PhD, of Springfield College in Massachusetts. "People's last impression of exercise is the one that lingers," he says. "With a cool-down, you leave feeling the exercise was easier, so you're more likely to do it again."

Excuse: I'll look silly.
Solution: Forget perfection. Exercise is not a Broadway performance. "Women put such pressure on themselves," says Carol Gallagher, PhD, author of Going to the Top (Penguin, 2001). "Learning to feel okay with and laugh at little mistakes is good for you." Walk, dance, enjoy yourself—without worrying about how you look. Bonus: You burn more calories when you're not very good at something!

Excuse: I don't have time.
Solution: Count the small stuff. "Life is never all or nothing, especially in exercise," says Dr. Gallagher. A 10-minute walk is always better than nothing.

After I had my baby last year, I had to tell myself this over and over again. Now my workouts are more casual. Forget changing into exercise clothes; I just slip on my sneakers for a quick walk around the block with 1-year-old Jacob on my shoulders. And lifting him overhead 10 to 12 times when he's cranky is a great arm workout—and it always gets him smiling!
Old 04-11-2004, 02:45 AM   #10  

Smile Here is another....

Something I read about woman named Lisa...so I thought I would share......now....to share my "success" story......(gotta make it happen)
Marti

Lisa doesn't have the time or the patience for old-fashioned diets — and that's exactly why Weight Watchers worked for her. When this feisty, independent New Yorker first started working at WeightWatchers.com, she was desperately trying to lose weight. Her diet shakes, pills and get-thin-quick schemes just weren't doing the trick. But she was skeptical of trying the plan. "I had this preconception of it being an old, outdated brand," she remembers. "Was I going to have to rush home from work every night to make dinner?"

Now 38 pounds lighter*, she shares her insider secrets of how she lost the weight and is keeping it off.

A Plan for the 21st Century Woman
As it turns out, the plan wasn't exactly the for-cooks-only one she had imagined. Like many working women, Lisa didn't have a lot of extra time, but she did have daily access to a computer. In fact, her independent nature was the very thing that made the plan right for her: "It was way cooler than I thought. The technology, the hip articles — it lets you be independent, and that's empowering."

Doing It All, Online
Suddenly, the former skeptic was tracking the foods she ate online - it took just a few minutes, so she could easily manage it despite her busy schedule. And since Lisa ranks the invention of the microwave right up there with that of the lightbulb, she was relieved to learn she wouldn't have to take a crash course in cooking 101. In fact, calculating values for frozen entrees and pre-packaged snacks was easy - and she was surprised by how many foods she could still enjoy.

Shopping as Exercise?
But smart eating was only the beginning. Lisa lost 20 pounds*, then hit a plateau — and knew it was time to get her body moving. She began by learning about all the little things you can do, even in the workplace, that count as exercise. The gist is simple, she says: "Get up from your desk! Instead of instant-messaging colleagues, walk over to them." Window-shopping at lunch, taking the stairs — mundane things like these took on a new meaning when she realized they counted as exercise.

Stepping Away the Stress
Then she got serious. She dusted off her old gym membership card and started taking kickboxing and high-impact aerobics classes on the weekends (the boxing is perfect for her competitive nature). And during the week, she makes sure to hit the machines at least two evenings after work. Her secret? "I have to bring my gym bag to work. If I stop at home to pick it up, forget it — I'll feed the cat, plop down on the couch and spend the rest of the night with the TV." Besides getting that scale unstuck, exercise turned out to have a valuable side effect. "It's fabulous for work-related stress! When I climb on the stair machine in the evening, I can just feel myself stepping it all away."

Breaking the Food-Emotions Connection
Lisa calls her old self "the original emotional eater." With the help of Weight Watchers, she's managed to break the connection between food and emotions. She can now eat out with her friends and enjoy her favorites, Mexican and Chinese, without worry because she realized that loving food is one thing, but focusing on it to the point of stuffing yourself to death is another. "I saw all these women who have careers, who go to the theater and museums, who have a life beyond 'what did I eat today?' That's the life I wanted to live." And now, she does.

Lisa's Lessons

I keep a small cup at my desk for water, so I'm forced to get up continually to refill it. Any movement counts!
During holidays I sometimes let myself slip, but I get back on track as soon as I can. It's easier to lose five pounds right away than 20 in a few months.
I plan on going to the gym five times a week, so if I miss a session, I'm still fine. I call it "building padding"!
TV time can be a big culprit (there are so many food ads!), so I always have a big glass of water in my hand.
Eat food in tiny units, like Teddy Grahams instead of graham crackers — you feel like you're getting more.

Lisa's Tips for Quick and Easy Eating

"I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!" Spray, for popcorn, toast or pancakes.
Dannon "Light 'n Fit" yogurts.
94% fat-free popcorn — try flavoring it with chili sauce.
Frozen meals for lunch or dinner (they're convenient, cheap, and there's plenty of variety).
"Swiss Miss" Low-fat Chocolate Pudding with 2 tablespoons fat-free Cool Whip.
My salad splurge is sunflower seeds — I like food that makes noise!
Instead of swearing off mac and cheese, now I just buy a Smart Ones, and that satisfies my craving.

*Results not typical.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:16 PM   #11  
GmaTo8

Thank you Marti for posting this inspirational article.

Some foods that help me stay OP are:

Kraft Light Done Right salad dressings.

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray

Sara Lee Delightful Wheat 9 carb bread - (2 slices for 1 point!)

Bagged salad

Grape tomatoes

Blue Bunny Fat Free Frozen Yogurt - Brownie Fudge Fantasy

I'll add more later when I think of them...
Old 04-19-2004, 12:52 AM   #12  

Default Found some more tips....

Here is another article that I found....some of these are great! I really liked the ones about getting rid of the "big" clothes and looking your best NOW!

Need some great suggestions on how to lose weight and keep it off for good? Few people know the road to weight-loss better than those who've already traveled it. We spoke to more than a dozen women, all of whom have lost between 26 and 94 pounds*, and asked them for their best tips on how to slim down.

If you've gotta splurge, splurge on veggies instead of chocolate. - Deena (lost 73 lbs.)

I don't save too-big clothes anymore. If it's not a 10 or smaller, it goes to Goodwill! - Susan (lost 26 lbs.)

A portion primer: Have half of what other people consider a "regular" serving. - Hilda (lost 45 lbs.)

Weight management starts in the grocery store. Don't bring it home if you can't control it. - Stephanie (lost 35 lbs.)

I love regular soda and hated the diet stuff until I started adding a lemon slice — instant taste! - Michelle (lost 65 lbs.)

Try 94% fat-free microwave popcorn. If I'm in the mood for spice, I add Cajun seasoning. If I want sweet, I'll sprinkle one packet of sugar on it. - Helene (lost 94 lbs.)

Rather than pouring dressing all over your salad, dip your fork into the dressing (which you order on the side) before spearing the lettuce. You'll be using 1/3 the dressing but getting a satisfying taste. - Diane (lost 50 lbs.)

It's not about eating as little as possible but eating what your body needs. Eating too little may slow down your metabolism. - Amy (lost 35 lbs.)

When you're at a party, split one portion in two. Then you can go back for seconds. - Karen (lost 91 lbs.)

Look your best during the losing process. Don't wait to buy new clothes until you've reached your goal weight. Buy pants that fit you now. - Stephanie (lost 35 lbs.)

I do a lot of self-talk. I keep telling myself, "I don't need this chocolate bar. I don't need this chocolate bar." - Caroline (lost 37 lbs.)

Substitute a small spoon for the bigger one. That way you can enjoy the cereal, soup, whatever for a longer period of time. And keep a one-cup bowl handy so that you don't have to measure all the time. - Ricardo (lost 61 lbs.)

Frozen dinners are a quick and easy way to watch your calorie intake and portion size — especially if you're working late and might otherwise order take-out! - Sandra (lost 44 lbs.)

Don't give up your favorite high-fat recipes, just tweak them and make smart substitutions. - Michelle (lost 81 lbs.)

My friends and I love to eat out socially — a lot. Still, I've found that if I bring a snack or eat before I join them, I set myself up for success. - Nicole (lost 56 lbs.)

*Results not typical
Old 06-12-2004, 11:43 AM   #13  

Here is some other tips I read and thought I would share!

The Top 5 Diet Blunders

By Paula Kennedy for WeightWatchers.com

You're eating less and exercising more. Why won't that scale budge? Even when you feel like you're doing everything right, there are certain behaviors that can still get in the way. Are you guilty of any of these habits?

1. Skipping Breakfast
Running late for work again? Before you bolt out the door on nothing but a cup of coffee, be aware that skipping breakfast can be bad news for weight loss. Chances are, you're going to feel hungry later, and that may be when you have less access to healthy food and are more likely to reach for a doughtnut.

Antidote: Keep something on hand that you can eat on the run, such as fruit, yogurt or fat-free cereal bars.

2. Feasting on Family Favorites
When your kids or spouse have a favorite family meal, it's hard to ban it from your menu list. Family favorites, such as lasagna, are often high in fat and calories.

Antidote: Treat yourself to a smaller serving of the main meal and a large serving of vegetables or salad. It's also a good idea to try to find a lower-fat version of the family favorite.

3. Social Overeating
Eating whatever you wanted at a restaurant was okay in the days when people ate out only a few times a year. But these days we eat out every week, if not every day." As this is the case, you need to have some strategies for coping with eating out. Adopt them religiously so they become habits.

Antidote: Search the menu for meals cooked using low-fat methods, such as grilling or stir-frying, and ask for sauces and dressings on the side. That way you can control how much you have.

4. Not Counting Nibbles
A few potato chips while you clean the house. Just a sliver of cake while you cook dinner. When we snack, we tend to be standing up or have our attention focused on another task. This can lead to thinking the calories "don't count." Unfortunately, they do.

Antidote: Set ground rules, such as "I don't eat in the car or while I'm watching television." And always, always keep track of everything you eat during the day. Knowing you'll have to write it down will make you think twice about having that one bite.

5. Expecting Too Much Too Soon
After several months of dedication you're down in the dumps — you feel the scale has barely moved. Expecting too much weight loss too soon is an extremely common diet blunder. A healthy rate of weight loss is up to two pounds a week. But many people aim for more than that, then feel like failures and give up when they don't reach that unrealistically high goal.

Antidote: Make "slow and steady" your diet mantra. If you really don't believe that one to two pounds amounts to much weight loss, lift two pounds of butter the next time you're at the supermarket. You'll realize how well you're doing.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:02 PM   #14  
GmaTo8

Smile

Marti,

Thanks for sharing this article. I don't know how it happened, but I didn't notice when you posted the next to last article! They both give really good advice. I'm always looking for tips for the long haul.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:59 PM   #15  

Talking To get those sexy legs we all want!

Saw this and thought I would share....now....if only I did all these...then I would have those so called "Beach Legs!"

Squat
What it does: Works the large thigh muscles on the front of your upper legs.
Start standing with your legs a little wider than hip width apart — abdominals in, chest lifted. Lower your hips toward the floor as if you were trying to sit on a bench behind you. You can bring your arms up parallel to the floor for balance and lean forward slightly. You can also hold on to a table or door frame for support. "Sit" down until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Hold the squat for a second before squeezing your glutes and slowly pressing yourself back up to a standing position. Rest five seconds before repeating. You can place a chair behind you for added safety and to limit the dip of your squat to the proper level.

Inner thigh squat
What it does: Targets the inner thighs.
Start with your legs as wide apart as comfortable with your feet slightly turned out. Again, imagine a bench behind you and lower your hips back and toward the floor while squeezing your inner thighs and buttocks. As with the traditional squat, hold this for a second before coming back up. This time, concentrate on tightening your inner thighs as you stand up.

Calf raises
What it does: Strengthens and tones the calf muscles on the back of your legs.
You can do this while standing on the floor or, for an added challenge, standing with your heels hanging off a stair or curb. Slowly roll your weight into the toes and the balls of the feet while lifting your heels. Make sure the movement is slow and controlled; don't bounce. Hold the lift for one second before shifting the weight back into your heels as you lower back to the floor.

Standing leg presses
What it does: Tones the outer thigh and hip.
Feet should be no more than hip-width apart. Shift your weight onto the right leg and lift the left leg slightly off the floor. (Place your hand on the wall if you feel unsteady.) Lift your left leg out to the side to the count of four until you feel your hip contract. Hold the leg up for a second and then slowly lower the leg, resisting gravity the whole time. If you want added resistance, hold your hand against the outside of your leg and press against the lift as you raise your leg. Repeat the sequence with the opposite leg.