Old 06-04-2004, 11:41 AM   #31  
Student of the Hoof

Good morning... Thank GOD it's FREAKING FRIDAY!! *tears out hair* For a short week, it sure has been a hellish one. At least workwise. *breathe*

Elaine - Congrats on the two day mark!! And the two pounds, too!! Two days leads to three, leads to four, a week, two weeks, a month, the rest of your life. It is all about the little steps. Sometimes I count my successes by the minute. Whatever it takes. Isn't it funny how sometimes people behave so poorly when it comes to someone losing weight? Jealousy, resentment, discomfort, insecurity.. Significant others, children, co-workers, relatives, "friends" - I've had all of them at one point or another pull something that just kind of left me staring open mouthed at them in disbelief at what they'd said. Fortunately, as I've continued on my plan and even when I've fallen off, I managed to get going again - even if it takes me a while sometimes - they've pretty much all come around and started to be really supportive. I think, too, sometimes people want their "partner" to fail because that gives them permission to fail, as well. What we need to remember is that this isn't about failure. It's about changing your life. Some days are going to go well, some aren't, but you don't just stop trying. One bad meal, one bad day, one bad week or month is not enough to justify that you just quit. You just keep trying. And if you want it badly enough, because you do have to WANT to do this, then you will achieve your goals.

Jolly - How are your ankles doing? Well, one dog sleeps with my daughter, the other with my son. The foster dog doesn't count since I'm hoping and PRAYING we find a home for her soon. I don't get a doggy to sleep with. Ohwell.

Chach - What do you use for snacks now? I'm not up on points... but some of the things I use are fruit (thats a big one), yogurt, half a piece of bread with a tablespoon of peanut butter.... I'm not a big snacker, sorry. *lol* I used to be, isn't that funny? My big deal is the dessert thing.

Alright. I know I have trouble with my schedule. The part that is aggravating me the absolute most is missing the running. The other stuff I can kind of work in as I can, but the running is a big deal. Part of the philosophy behind the horse training method I've adopted is "ride where you can, not where you can't." In other words, don't set yourself up for failure by trying over and over to do something you know isn't going to work. So.. if I apply that to running.. and say "run when you can, not when you can't" when would that be? I can run on Saturday. Monday mornings I think would be good, too because I can get to bed on time Sunday. That takes care of two of the running days.. now, can I manage to get to bed at least ONE day a week so that the next morning I can get up early enough to run and still not be late to work? I think I can do ONE day. I'm going to leave that day as a floater of Wed or Thur. Part of the reason running is such an issue is because I sweat like a PIG when I run. So no matter when I do it, I have got to take a shower right afterwards. If I try to do that in the evenings when I come home, then it just eats up that whole bunch of extra time. BUT, I can do weights and pilates pretty much catch as catch can, because I don't work up that huge sweat. I can even do Pilates later in the day on Saturday, and weights on Sunday. I will figure this out. I just have to be creative. Think outside the box. Or alarm clock. Or something.

I've lost one of the pounds I gained last month. I hate re-losing weight. Yay. It doesn't feel much like a success, it feels like a kick in the tail. And I'm 4 days into the month already. Yeah, well .. to lose the weight I gained, plus lose the weight I was supposed to have lost last month PLUS lose the weight for this month... uhm. *cough* I'd have to lose a half a pound a day. I don't really THINK that is going to happen. *nose wrinkle* So realistically - I didn't shoot myself in the foot completely with this last month. I nicked my toe. If I can lose 6 pounds a month from now till the end of the year, I can still reach goal. And yes. I WANT that!! Argh!. Now, do I want it badly enough to stay OP and stop farting around for the next 7 months? *whine* I guess there's only one way to find out, eh? So. Six pounds a month for the next 7 months. I can do that. Right? One pound in, five more to go for June. Go me!
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:43 AM   #32  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hello Ladies!

This may be my last post until Monday, as hubby returns early tomorrow! Yay! I'm so happy to have him coming back. It's been a long 7 weeks! I hope he brings me something neat from Thailand, even though I told him not to. True hubby test...did he do something nice without being asked to?? We shall see.

Elaine: That is the big thing about this group. They lift everyone up and re-enforce good habits and give big hugs when things go wrong. I have a friend that is a sabotager also. I am having dinner with her tonight. I picked the place and am going to have a nice big greek salad and only one slice of pizza if she orders it. It's funny, well not really, but the more weight I lose, the more she gains. Don't know why that is, but it really is showing now. Kind of a motivator for me!

Jolly: My poopers are also my back up alarm. If I don't have them out the door to tinkle by 6:00 am, I'm in trouble! They have that beagle "howl" that can wake the dead! I've really been trying to get them out for our 2 mile evening walk. They are tired little guys by the time I get them home, but they sure do sleep better!

Alright, to everyone else, have a great weekend and I will see you all here on Monday!

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:38 PM   #33  

Hey all. Congrats on the loss, Elaine. I think the sabotage element is gone from here, because we are all so far away from each other. We don't have people comparing one person's loss to the others. WE all just want to be healthy. Keep up the good work. Chachee - beagles. . . I had a beagle mix for 16 years. Actually, she had me. I taped her howling once and played it back - she ran and hid. Raven - glad you are coming up with a plan. There is always some way around the obstacles we put up. You can do it.
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:16 PM   #34  

RAVEN!!! Get with the program! You are the exercise motivator around here, for me anyway, don't let me start thinking it's okay to not workout

Chach, if the hubby does good without being told to do so pleez post some hints on how you got him trained

Elaine, good job of being on OP.

Jolly, I take it you haven't let the couch become your best friend again? You're good! Sometimes my couch calls my name and begs me to sit and be comfy, then I hear the laundry calling so I always try to avoid the couch for as long as I can.

Hi Ya's to Happy and Red

Catch you girls later!
hippychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:16 AM   #35  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi everyone, sorry I've been MIA. Sometimes (well ALOT) there's too way too much to keep on top of. Yesterday I spent the evening catching up on some emails, cards and correspondence that really was over due to get done. It's embarassing when you get a get well card for a good friend and she gets well and the card's still sitting on your counter... well you know the routine I'm sure . So that was yesterday. Today after work we went to the garden center as the outside of the house is in PAINFUL need of some sprucing up. We picked up several plants, bushes and flowers and tomorrow will be a get up early (NO, NO, argh let me sleep go AWAY, leave me ALONE, oh all RIGHT already ) kind of morning and a day filled with lots and lots of clean up, digging, toting, yanking, filling in and planting. At least it's still in the mid 60s in the morning and not hot yet so it's the best time to get this done. Sunday will be catch up laundry, groceries, cooking and cleaning. But I have done a little each night so overall cleaning will not take that long.

As for you fine ladies...

Jolly, I loved the story of playing back your barking dog which sent her packing. How funny and I also liked the idea of "this is NOT my friend". However I met up with a quart of Edy's Grand Lite Dreamsicle which was NOT my friend and bullied it's way down my throat. Several times in fact. AND, I'm not even much of an ice cream eater. But thanks for the great motivational line. Hat's off to you for doing a spin class. Do you think having strong legs from riding and kickboxing is helping you with spin class? That looks so INTENSE.

Chachee, hope you have a WONDERFUL weekend enjoying it with the hubby. Hope you got something nice too and that he notices right off the bat all your hard work while he's been gone.

Red, if you have time, I too am curious how you wound up on Tokyo. Wow, that sure is a LONG way to ride to get out to see your horse. Is that because open land is such a premium out there?

Elaine, good going on the weight loss this week. The slow running club sounds like a great group of people and a really interesting concept.

Raven, no more farting around - you hear? I hope you get some kind of schedule set for your exercise. Perhaps you could run around the ring while Machine gets his lesson. Just kiddin' of course. Yes it is really hard being every thing to everyone and nothing to yourself at times.

Hey there Hippy, hopefully you will get some sunny weather and won't be tempted to log any couch time this weekend.

Last thing - snacks. Lowfat mozzerella stick, smidge of peanut butter on fresh apple slices, 2 spoons FF vanilla yogurt with sliced berries, FF jello w/sliced fruit, sliced veggies with lite/FF ranch dressing, walnuts, cottage cheese w/fresh fruit, chilled pears sprinkled with a dash of cinnamon, dash of tuna salad on 3 small wheat thins. I find that anything with protein really helps me avoid the munchies. If I'm really craving chocolate, I have one of those Krave bars that Kellogg's makes. Not exactly low cal but better nutrition than a Snickers and I maybe only have one of those once a month.

It's off to bed for me now, got a busy weekend ahead. Enjoy everyone. That hot bright ball in the blue sky means go out and play for a while
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 09:44 AM   #36  

Good morning

Gary and Jordan are off and gone today. This is the first time I have been home alone in don't know how long. Now I don't know what to do with myself. Did some cleaning last night so I didn't have to do it today but I'm sure I have laundry. It's sunny and pretty today and will be 80. It's been in the 70's all week. I'd like to get out and go for a swim but the pool has cooled off a whole lot. It's tolerable after the initial

Happy, what a busy day you will have. I love plants and flowers and take alot time each year planting. I have some things that come back every year but I love petunias and so on for potting and setting on the patio.

Jolly, I guess I missed something somewhere. I didn't know you kickbox. I bet that burns some major calories. I couldn't do it, I do good to do what I do but keep telling myself if I get some of this weight off I will be able to do other forms of exercise that I might actually enjoy. Right now exercise to me is a chore. I get tired and winded and it's painful That is why I choose to walk until I can do something better.

Raven, Red, Elaine, hope you are well.

Guess I better run. I need to write out some bills, there is always someone waiting to take my money. I wonder what in the heck they are thinking
hippychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:17 PM   #37  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Good morning all! Or is it already noon? It better not be because I must get meself to the racetrack today and write two stories.

Ah, sweet sleep-in. It's 8:30 in the morning and since I keep the same hours as Raven and earlier these days, earlier on getting up end and later on the dropping into unconsciouness end, this is later than late.

I am enjoying the sweet luxury of a bit of a breather after all that work. The last few weeks especially the last two were hellish. It all came to an end on Friday night, when I wrapped up the final draft of my ambassador interview and put the final touches on the page which was to print yesterday. THEN, seeing some guys getting in the elevator I knew they were off to the pub and met up with them later for TOO MANY beers. Oh well, I wanted to celebrate and I did manage to get the last train home though I passed the taxi stand and had to stagger 40 mins. home because I got off the train too early not knowing if I would miss the transfer at that hour. Oh well, what an undignified end to a lot of great work. Even won high compliments from the ambass on the story!

Saturday I was taking off from work mainly to go riding (another present to myself, though at the expense of no pay) but due to my drinking the night before there was no way I was going to make the early hour ride but I was able to change to an afternoon time slot and got out to see my mare. Except for the ill-fitting saddle causing me considerable pain, it was a nice time. It's always nice to connect with her. I even managed to stay on when she did a mad dash across the ring when a loud noise scared her.

Ok, you can see I've gotten too much sleep here to be going into all this detail. But I haven't had a sleep-in for weeks and I really, really needed it. As for the eating, the "fresh water" just hasn't been. I'm in desperate need of a tank change!

Well, today, I'll be at the racetrack. There's an international race, 1 horse from the States is here, 1 from Hong Kong. I've been doing training reports for Hong Kong and if their horse makes it in to the top 3 I have to write a wrapup in addition to a story for the paper I work for here. Gotta leave in a couple hours now. But first, haven't even had breakfast.

Ok, ok, enough of me. Hope I haven't lost any of you . . .

Looking back over the posts, and boy, you people sure are prolific!!

Elaine, how's it going. Sounds like you have really set yourself on the right path. Your slow running group sounds like a great idea and a great motivator. Congrats on staying on your plan. Don't worry if you have some not so great days either. Just keep getting chips for your good days and that pile will grow!

You know, you were talking about sabotage and I really can't comprehend why people do that. I was thinking everyone here seems very tolerant to be saying they have 'friends' who sabotage their efforts. I can understand spouses or family and there's not much you can do there but if I had friends who did that, well, they wouldn't be my friends much longer. But then, I was thinking, it's not just about trying to lose weight. I notice people trying to sabotage my work all the time, by making it difficult for me because they feel jealous. It's very sad but it forces me to be very closed about what I do. It seems like anything I tell some people will be used against me. Jealousy is a sickness with a lot of people. Instead of congratulating others and seeing their gain as their own, as an inspiration and a motivator, they seek to pull the rug out from under you. Though we may not be quite that high up, the phrase, "it's lonely at the top." applies. When you're making progress, changing, improving, there seem to always be people wanting, waiting to see you slip up. What a bummer!

Jolly, how'd I end up in Tokyo? Korean Air Lines, over 20 years ago. What can I say? I was always the restless type, wanting to see what was beyond. Took off for Germany when I was in college and then stayed on for 4 years, then, when the urge to find yet something different got stronger, I went to India. I was back in the States to get a visa to stay on in India. When I didn't get that because I didn't have a ticket out of India and the embassy told me to buy one and reapply I got annoyed and just said forget it. Since I already had a ticket via Tokyo as far as Bangkok I decided to just go to Japan and look around for a couple weeks. Those couple weeks turned into years, now decades. I was never one to make hard and fast plans so I just took the opportunities I saw and they've led to years of newspaper work, and then, with my growing ability in Japanese, to a lot of language related work, writing, translating, interpereting, etc. etc. Anyhow, there's no reason for me to be here. I just am and I really don't know why. I often say it was just because there was no strong pull to get me away from here from anywhere else.

You made me laugh with your dogs giving you the glare treatment and it would be great if they would growl when you went to the fridge! One of my four cats will pounce on me until I get up in the morning. This is great when I have to get up but when I can for a change sleep in it gets very annoying. She leaps from above me and it's quite a shock!

Chachee, I missed what you were mad about? the weigh-in? Well, don't let it get to you. You have certainly lost weight. It's just not showing up on the scale. Just keep at it. You can do this. Your walking and weight-lifting is very admirable. I don't know about snacks per se too much but I've been on a popcorn kick lately. It's new to me because I found some imported lowfat stuff in a store here and bought a whole case of it! Only 250 calories in a whole bag and the crunch crunch of it is a great stress reliever.

Well, this is getting WAY too long. I will write again later. Hello to those of you I didn't address individually. I will return!!

Thanks for listening!!

Last edited by redballoon; 06-05-2004 at 08:24 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:52 AM   #38  

OK. Despite the fact that food and exercise have been good all weekend, NOW I want to eat. Computer problems - can't access email, posts disappearing - and worrying about money. I want food!

I am otherwise having a great weekend. Really enjoying the weather. I hope everyone else is too.

I am going to leave it at that for now. Will post more later - if IT lets me.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:32 PM   #39  

Hey all. Just another quick post. Still can't access email but I haven't turned to food. If it isn't working by tomorrow, I will call at&t.

On the positive side, though. I did my yoga tape today I do feel better. I really should figure out a second time I can do the tape each week. Hmmm. Also, had a very nice ride, even cantered outside. Hurray :

Red, you have to schedule time to see your horse??? Or is that a lesson time? That would stink if you can't go see your horse whenever. I did like your story on how you got to Tokyo. Very interesting.

Happy, yes the riding and kickboxing probably help with the strong legs, though I haven't done kickboxing in awhile. Plus, I used to ride my bike quite a bit when I was younger and I guess all those muscles haven't disappeared.

Hippee, I do aerobic kickboxing. I used to do it at the martial arts studio I belonged to. I like that class better, as it was more kickbox than aerobic. but they only had classes at night, and there were some other issues, so I quit, and just stayed with the gym. The gym offers aerobic kickboxing, too, but it is more of an aerobics class than a kickbox class. Good workout, but not quite as much fun. Ah well.

Well, hope weigh in goes well tomorrow, and that everyone is enjoying the weather.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:16 PM   #40  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

It looks like we haven't had much action over the weekend here. I didn't want to fill the thread with my goings-on but it looks like if I want to write I'm going to have to.

Jolly, it sounds like you're having a tough time of it. Remember, there's nothing wrong with eating. We HAVE to eat. I suppose you're talking about eat eating, not just normal eating! Yes, yes, I hear you, the frustrations of life. I'm feeling them too now big time. I have a good cry, write in my diary, whine and rant and cry some more.

If you haven't turned to food then good for you! It means you're making great progress, the kind of progress you want to make.

Well, I just came in because I saw your message. I hope you get your computer problems worked out and that money will come you way too.

As for riding, yes, I have to schedule when to ride, even on my own and if the club is not open I can't see the horse but that's not a problem because I can only get out there sometimes anyhow. Still, there are days when it's closed and I could go out but can't. Don't remind me of the limitations. That is something about life in Japan that you can't think about. You have to learn to work within the confines or do without totally. There is always a tradeoff. I recognize that my situation is far, far from what I want it to be but, still, I can make progress in other areas, such as learning to ride better.

Well, must go. Good luck, everyone. I'm in a real slump, always happens after busy times. Need to reconnect with myself and my goals, which have all been put on the back burner, no actually, taken off the stove!, for a long time.

Later. . .
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:38 AM   #41  
Student of the Hoof

Good morning..

I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. I journaled it all out here journal entry - pms inspired mental meanderings if you care to read it.

The weekend had its high points and not so high points. I find that I'm spending so much time helping my kids and their horses that I have virtually no time left for my own riding or training. I can feel the resentment starting to creep in. This week the weather is *supposed* to be crap. If it is, I can tell that my mood will deteriorate even more. I figure this is hormonal, and will pass.

As far as food and exercise, the echoing shout in my brain right now is an extremely frustrated "leave me alone!!"

Red - I'm not as limited as you are, but as I board my horses, I too have confines within which I must work. I have to work around Rosa's lesson schedule, and sometimes that means I ride either very late at night, or not at all. And since my drive is long (not as long as yours) it's not like I can take the kids out there, then when they've worked their horses and are ready to go, I can just drop them off home and run back. So too often I end up in a hurry - rushing through my time with my horse because the kids are doing the huffing and asking of when we're going to leave etc. I guess until we all win the lottery and buy our own land on which to keep our horses and ride, we take what we can get.

Jolly - I think I'd really enjoy kickboxing. I took taekwondo for several years, and really liked it, well, for the most part. I think kickboxing would be a great way to do something like that without the intense comittment to learning forms, etc. And if they ever find a way to squish another couple hours into our days, I may very well give it a try. Let me know when your e-mail is accessible again.

Hippy - I hope you had a good day with time to yourself. I know that's something I don't get much of at all, either.

Happy - That part about the get well card? I can't even count how many cards I have for birthdays, christmas, you name it - all over the place bought with the best of intentions, and never mailed. I'm horrible. Social niceties like that, or thank you cards, or doing something "nice" for someone just seem beyond me. I would love to be the kind of person who could remember or think of things but .. I fail miserably in that department. Add it to the list, I guess.

Well chicks.. hope everyone had a great weekend. Happy Monday. Woo. *waves a noisemaker listlessly*

Last edited by RavenToy; 06-07-2004 at 08:43 AM.
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:00 AM   #42  
Not Giving Up

Height: 5'9"

Good Morning everyone

Just popping in to say hi to all, and to let everyone know that I am still here.

Raven, Happy, Hippy, Jolly, Red, Elaine have a great day all. And Chachee, hope that you had a great reunion with your hubby.
luckycharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:03 AM   #43  

Hey good morning all. Well, I can wave my noisemaker with a little more enthusiasm .. . or, I would, if I could find the right smilie. I did do my yoga workout yesterday. Finally. Felt really good. And, I had a 3 pound loss for the week. I am almost able to move the bar down one. I can't wait. Still have so far to go, but one day at a time, right??? Still battling the healthy food vs affordable food deal, but it is getting better.

Off to do payroll. have a good one, all.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:47 PM   #44  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Good morning, Ladies!

Hubby is home! Wahoo! I’m so happy to have another adult in the house to help me take care of everything! We got our property lines staked out and are trying to figure out exactly what kind of fence we are going to put up!

He brought me back a beautiful purple and black silk robe. He also brought back an incredible black and gold silk tablecloth. It’s amazing. He did good! So, I guess I have him trained well! Don’t know how I did it, but he learned along the way!

I was up 2 pounds on my home weigh in yesterday, but I know I can get that off by next Sunday! My goal is to be down at least my 1.4 I gained at last week’s WW weigh in. I’d love to have more, but will settle for that. I want to be at my 30 pound WW mark by the end of the month. I know I can do that.

Red: I was mad because I gained weight. I’m so silly about that. I lose for almost three months in a row, have a 1.4 pound gain and think all is lost! How funny is that? I’m over it now, and have a better perspective on things.

Jolly: Great job on the loss. Sorry your computer is not cooperating with you! Smack upside the floppy and it will listen to you soon!

Hippy: Did you have a nice day? Sounds like it was.

Happy: Hello! How are things going with the job search?

Elaine: Great job on the loss and staying OP. It gets a little easier once things become a habit.

Raven: Girl, you do need some “you” time to focus on your stuff. I know how excited you are for your kids and their horsies, but don’t forget you have yourself to take care of also! I know it’s a struggle and I don’t know how you keep up with your schedule!

Alright, ladies, I’m revved up for my next goal! Hubby was totally impressed with my loss and asked if I told my mom yet. I haven’t and don’t plan on it until she sees me the end of next month. For my mom, actions speak louder than words. She is heavier than ever and doesn’t understand a little change goes a long way. All I have done is cut back on portion size, cut back on the sweets, and add three exercise increments a day—15-20 minutes at a time now, but only 10 minutes earlier. You don’t have to be DRASTIC to lose weight, just modify your day-to-day lifestyle and it’s amazing the results you get. As of right now, I’m down about 40 pounds since she saw me at Christmas. By the time she gets here, I hope to be down around 60 pounds since Christmas, 40 on WW. I know I can do it, and I want to do it for her to see it can be done. It’s a weird situation, but one that I think will speak volumes to her and hopefully inspire her!

Have a great Monday!

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 02:00 PM   #45  
Washington, DC

Default Check In!

HI all!

So sorry to be missing in action. I haven't had time to read everyones posts.. but it looks like from "speed reading" that everyone is doing well.. I'll read more and write more later.

I am pleased with my weekend. My Sat AM run got rained out, so I went to the gym on my own and ran and worked out. I dressed myself up and took myself out to a concert on Saturday night and really enjoyed myself. I went alone, but struck up conversations with people sitting next to me and really enjoyed the music. Yesterday just ran errands and ran into an old friend at the Vitamin Shoppe.. so we walked together to run errands.

I actually got up this morning and organized my food, my vitamins, my lists, my affirmations for the day... a BIG change for me. I am one of those people who NEVER had food in the house and always ate out.

BTW, where is everyone geographically? I am in Washington, DC. Have any of you met anyone else on the list?

More later,
Hugs,
Elaine
ElaineR is offline   Reply With Quote