3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   The Race to 199! Join Us! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/39335-race-199-join-us.html)

Girlie 04-13-2004 12:16 PM

The Race to 199! Join Us!

Hello, I took MotivatedQueen's idea (hope you don't mind, I'm a little overly excited here!) and started a new thread. Welcome! This thread is for anyone who has a goal of getting below 200 pounds.

Let's introduce ourselves and say a little something about ourselves, especially those who have been losing already, and let us know what you've been doing to get closer to that 199 mark. We are all in this together, with the same ultimate goal to lose weight and become healthier, happier people, so don't be shy!

Looking forward to hearing from all of you!!!

Girlie

Satine 04-13-2004 12:27 PM

Hey Girlie - I have been working my butt off literally trying so hard to get under 200.. as you can see I am very, very close...but I had a bad Easter weekend food wise and may be up a couple today, who knows...

I have been doing WW since Jan 6th of this year and have had great results, I love the program... :) I am bad about exercise so I do it like 2 times a week if that...I really need to work on that part, especially for firming and toning...

I cannot wait until I can see and say that I am in the 100's ( Onederland ) ...
I have not seen any 100 figures since I was like 25 ( am 30 now, married, no kids ) ... I CANNOT WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer: :goodscale :sunny: :encore:

Girlie 04-13-2004 12:37 PM

I guess I'll go!

Carri, welcome! You have gotten a great start! What a great motivation to see how well you are doing! You can do it for sure...and when you do, I hope you stick around and help motivate the rest of us. I was to about your weight a couple of years ago and I just gave up...and blah...look at me now! But I'm getting back on the wagon!

I am Girlie and I'm a 25 y/o newlywed. I am 5'4 but have a good deal of muscle. I was in the best shape in high school, around 150-160 pounds, on the track team, running daily and throwing shotput and discus. I want to get back to that size!

I had lost about 25 pounds a few months before my November 2003 wedding but I gained it back and more before the wedding! I decided not to stress myself out about it. I still looked great in my dress and it was still be greatest day of my life. Now that I am married, I don't want to start gaining weight again. I have PCOS which has symptoms of weight gain in certain areas, high testosterone and insulin problems, but it just might be a little harder to lose weight...but I can do it...I've done it before!

I'm not prescribing to any particular weight loss plan but I do exercise almost every day and try to eat moderate portions. I really started both exercise and watching what I eat last week. I've been alternating going to the gym and an 8 mile bike trail course that my husband and I have been doing for fun. Last night I went to the gym. I walked and stretched for a few minutes, 15 mins on the bike, 35 minutes on the elliptical machine and then 10 minutes of crunches and stretching. I want to get back to doing 60 minutes on the elliptical machine. It's a great exercise if any of you are looking for something that really burns calories. It's not boring like the treadmill is to me, kind of a mix between a treadmill and Stairmaster.

Anyway, that's about it for me! I plan to post daily throughout the work week and sometimes at home on the weekends. I look forward to meeting you!

miss_elisha 04-13-2004 05:37 PM

Me next! Me next!

I'm 23 years old, living with my parents until I find a real job and can pay my own bills (which hopefully will be soon soon soon!). I've always been overweight, and never been any good at losing it. I tried Atkins for a few weeks a while back, and managed to lose about 10 pounds, but that was right before I moved into a dorm, and it's not exactly easy to follow a strict diet living off of dorm food (unless your on the All-Cereal-All-The-Time diet). At least I haven't gained it back. The main problem with Atkins, though, is that it's just too hard to stick to. They say "lose weight and still eat your favorite foods!," but that's not very accurate if your favorite foods are pasta and potatoes!
Anyway, this time I'm just trying to cut back on everything, but not cut anything out. I've been trying to analyze how my body responds to different foods, how long it takes me to get hungry after eating X, things like that, and as it turns out my body works best if it has some carbs, but too many makes me tired. I'm basically making my own diet. I'm going to check out that glycemicindex.com site MQ was talking about... there may be something to that.
As far as exercise goes, I'm trying to walk my butt off. Literally. :D
I've been going 2 miles on the treadmill, and since I've reached my goal of 2 miles in 30 minutes, I'm going to start increasing my time until I get to 3 miles in 45 minutes. I've also started incorporating strength training, because once I shed all of this fat I want to have nice toned muscles. Skinny people with flabby muscles bother me. Besides that, muscle burns more calories than fat does, and it looks better, and it's more compact. Oh, and I try to do yoga/pilates/stretching once or twice a week, just because it feels good.

Let's see... my parents are overweight too, and my dad at least has high cholesterol. I'm trying to get them to eat healthy and exercise too, but it's not working very well. It's driving me crazy. They say, "oh, it's good you're losing weight," but they don't do anything to help, and by that I mean that when I ask Mom to bring home some healthy foods she brings me a bag of grapes and a box of Lean Pockets along with her chips and dips and Twinkies and Snickers. :dizzy:

Whew... that was a long one! Anything else you want to know or discuss, just ask. I'm online 2 or 3 times daily, at least, so I'll be around to comment.
Hope everyone is doing well!

~Miss Elisha

LadyBug00 04-13-2004 10:24 PM

My Turn!

Here's my story:

I am 23 years old, mommy to Allison :bb: and wife to Scott.

Umm...where should I start?? I guess I will start with July 2000, the year I got married. I was skinny I weighed 140lbs, but I thought I was fat simply because I had curves! Fast Forward 4 years, 1 baby, and 60 lbs later! That's right I said 60lbs in 4 years. I look at my Wedding pictures now and I look anorexic compared to now!

I have never really kept track of my weight,and I don't know why!?
When I first became pregnant I weighed 199lbs, my ending weight was 226lbs. At my 6 week post partum check up (wich was 4 months ago) I weighed 206lbs. So I am thinking I still weigh around 200lbs.

I have never dieted either, so I could use all the suggestions I can get. I dont' have the best eating habits, I am working on fixing those. I never exercise, but now that the weather is warmer I am starting to walk outside. So, that is my start, I am not going to start on a diet right now, I am going to see what I can do by changing my eating habits. I would like to weigh anywhere between 130lbs-140lbs.
If you want to know anything else, ask away!
I can not wait to start losing these pounds! COME ON LETS GO GIRLS! :cheer:

Girlie 04-14-2004 01:01 AM

Hi Miss Elisha and Rebecca!

I'm glad that you've decided to post and I hope you continue to.

Elisha, I think it's great what you've done so far and your routine! It's hard living with people who don't exactly eat healthy foods. My husband eats bread like it's going out of style, and he loves chips and crackers and Oreos (a bit YUMMY weakness of mine!). Keep up the good work, Elisha...you can definitely attain your goals! Welcome!

Hello again, Rebecca...walking is a great start! Many people lose weight just by starting a walking routine and not changing anything else! Then, as you go along, you can start changing little things and see more results. It's great that you posted here...keep us updated on your walking!

I've been hitting the gym around 9pm and by the time I do my hour of cardio and stretches and take my leisurely shower and put on my PJs, it's 11pm...I think I'll start to go earlier because it's hard for me to sleep when I get home.

Time for bed now...I'm going to have a busy day at work tomorrow! Hope to hear from all of you soon.

Girlie

erricah 04-14-2004 04:28 AM

I have been with 3fatchicks since 2000 and have been up and down on the weight roller coaster since that time. I am ready to lose the weight permanently. A month ago, I was hospitalized with a bad case of pneumonia and was in the hospital for 9 days. I am still recuperating but one of the issues my pulmonologist stressed to me is that the weight has to come off. I also has asthma (in which has flared up since I was an small child). I have not been under 199 since 1992 (twelve years)!!!!! I am not getting any younger.

My goal is to lose weight and try not to stress out over it. ;)

Girlie 04-14-2004 10:27 AM

Erricah...

Welcome!

I'm glad you posted. Sometimes, it's things like medical conditions that have to be our wakeup calls!

You can do it, Erricah...the main thing is that you are here. You have probably been lurking for a long time...just join us! Even if it's just the two of us posting, we can help each other. Just do something small today to change things...switch from regular soda to diet, or take the stairs, etc.

One of the main things that motivated me this time is being out of breath. I was never out of breath like that before and itís getting so much better after just a weekÖbut in the past several months, Iíve been interviewing for jobs and things and once, in order to get to the meeting room, I had to walk up a flight of stairs. I was kind of out of breath and talking in the interview was more stressful because I was trying not to breathe hardÖand I was already nervous. It was embarassing! So now Iím back into my cardio and I feel much better, so that never happens ever again. Pretty terrible, but a wake-up call nevertheless!

So anyway, welcome and I hope more join us. Tell me what you decide to do today to get to your goal of losing weight.

Girlie

Satine 04-14-2004 10:40 AM

Hey Girls - I thought I was going to hit under 200 sometime this week but I totally blew it over the Easter weekend and I think I am up like 2-3 pounds so I am a little discouraged over that...it amazes me that you can gain that much weight over just two days of over eating , and not like crazy over eating either...but I also am going to get my TOM this week so that might be part of it...I am so close to that 199 number and it just keeps laughing at me
:lol: :lol: :lol:

lgroh 04-14-2004 03:37 PM

I feel out of place due to my age

undefinedundefinedundefinedHi, I am new but feel out of place. I am a 60 yr old Grandmother who weighs in at 204, I need to lose not only for health reasons but for my own self esteem.

I hope there is someone out there close to my age that I can relate to as I need to do this weight loss and a buddy sure would help. I am 5'2 and like I said 204#. I am going to do WW or low fat as I have tried Adkins and I am metabodically risistant to it for some reason and I had a lot of luck years ago doing low fat, I lost 50 in 3mths and was walking 2 miles a day which for me is good as I have a really bad back, another reason to lose, to take some pressure off my back.

Well, I hope there are some buddies out there for me, thanks, Linda( I live iin Florida)

Girlie 04-14-2004 03:41 PM

Hi, Linda!

Hi there, Linda. Not sure how many of us in this specific post are closer to your age, but you are welcome to stay and hang out with us!

If you are specifically looking for someone closer to your age, you can post a new thread in the Buddy Up forum stating that. I'm sure you will get replies!

Girlie

miss_elisha 04-14-2004 03:49 PM

Satine,
I'm not so sure we can gain that much in just a day or two. I know it seems like that sometimes, but if you really think about it, a pound is 3500 calories, so 2 would be 7000 calories, and 3 would be 10500 calories, and that has to be MORE than our regular on-plan daily intake of 1500 calories or so--that is A LOT of food! I don't think we can really eat that much without being horribly uncomfortable the entire time. You're right--ToM can make your weight fluctuate by a couple of pounds--the good news is that it goes down a couple of pounds at the end (mine always does anyway). I'm guessing most of it is water weight.

I'm doing good. Exercise has been on-plan for a few days, and I'm almost back to where I was before my... ahem... exercise sabatical last week with my treadmill time. 2 miles in 30 minutes and 16 seconds yesterday, whereas I was consistently doing it in almost exactly 30 minutes. But if I get within 10 seconds, I consider it meeting my goal... a few steps can make that variance.
Today is yoga and/or pilates, I haven't decided which yet.
Food is always the hard part for me. Today is going well, yesterday went terribly. I suppose it could have been worse though. I just had the munchies ALL DAY! I hate it when that happens... stupid PMS! I really need to get back on the pill, it helps in more ways than one.
At least if I exercise enough it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, as long as I don't go overboard. If I stay on track with my treadmill and strength training, my weight keeps going down, and that's good, because exercise is the easy part--I only have to make that decision once a day, whereas the eating decision is every single moment. I was thinking about checking out an Overeaters Anonymous meeting, but it's hard to do that since I don't have a regular schedule. Has anyone else tried it, or know anything about OA?
But that regular schedule thing may be on the way. I got a reply from the HR director of the company offering the job I REALLY REALLY REALLY want today, and he says I haven't gotten a reply yet because the VP is on vacation until 4/23, but he'll see my resume as soon as he gets back. I'm so excited! Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Ok, enough ramblings for one post. Hope everyone else is having a Super Healthy day!
~M_E

jenicra 04-14-2004 04:19 PM

I just reached the glory of ONEderland two weeks ago. That is one of the most motivating goals, I swear. I lost 18 lbs. in 5 weeks to get down to 199 and now I'm at 193! So you go girls! I'm so happy for you! You won't believe how amazing seeing 199 is, really!

Girlie 04-14-2004 05:50 PM

Hey guys!

Hi there girls! Great to hear from you!

Miss Elisha, sounds like you've got a great plan going there. Are you walking on the treadmill, running, or both? I was never a fan of treadmills...I would only run on the ground but right now I wouldn't last running around the block. I love the elliptical machine...but I wish it had a way to check how many miles you've gone instead of just revs and calories. I'm glad you've found something that you like. I'm like you...as long as I don't go overboard with eating, I tend to be able to eat what I want and still lose as long as I exercise. Great job!

Jenicra - what a great, inspirational post! It will be awesome when I get there. I feel like I'm so far away but you were in my shoes once, and look at you now! Thanks for visiting us! We all need the inspiration! You'll be beautiful on your wedding day!

I had veggies and chicken breast for lunch...I ate several hershey's kisses too LOL! I'm sure I'm still fine, as long as I get my workout in tonite. I am starting to really look forward to going to the gym because it's "ME" time!

Girlie

Satine 04-15-2004 10:56 AM

Hi Everyone!!!

Miss Elisha - Thanks for the information on the calorie and pounds thing, well I guess it must make sense that I am holding weight gain as usual from my TOM, I guess I will just wait and weigh myself after the whole TOM thing is over, I guess I also could have had alot of salt over the weekend too....

Jenicra - Congrats on getting to 193!!! I know it must feel so great !!!!!!
I cannot wait !! With me being so close it is driving me absolutely crazy!!!
I dont know why a number can make such a difference but it does...I dont ever want to see the 200's again....

Girlie - Hey how are ya? good lunch with the chicken and veggies ( and the hersheys kisses, ha ) ... hope we can all have a great OP day today!!!

Talk to ya all later :)

miss_elisha 04-16-2004 09:13 AM

Ack!

Well, I thought I was doing good, but my weigh-in today showed a gain. But, I have been eating like a madwoman all week, so I should have expected it. And yesterday was my dad's birthday, so there was lots of yummy food around the house, and then there's the whole ToM thing, and I have been slacking for a while.
But I can't rationalize it like that. I can't make it seem not so bad. It is bad. I was doing so well, and then I just quit. Why do I do that? Even though I'm exercising again, I know there's more to it than that. I know what works. I just have to do it. Time to refocus my efforts. Time for a good swift kick in the butt. :rollpin:

Anyway, enough whining. Do you guys want to have a weigh-in day when we all report? My weigh-in day is obviously Friday, but I'm willing to change that if the rest of the group so desires.

Ok, off to a day of healthy eating. Hope everyone has a great day!
~Miss E

Girlie 04-16-2004 10:20 AM

Weigh In

I think an optional weigh-in sounds good. Maybe Fridays? I take Saturdays off of exercise LOL! Any day is fine though. Or even Mondays...that will make me accountable for the weekend! I don't have a scale at home so I weigh at the gym...Fridays I have softball games so I don't go to the gym and Saturdays I take off, so maybe Sunday/Monday would be good for the beginning of the week.

I haven't had an "official" weigh in, but I peeked and am down one pound. I have been doing great with exercise this week and I'm so proud of myself. I've been eating lots of protein too. Last night I went out to dinner spontaneously with a girlfriend and I had two mozzarella sticks, a salad and veggie lasagna..I could only eat a couple of bites of the lasagna. I think I did quite well for the situation. And I threw in 15 mins of extra time at the gym...30 mins on the bicycle (7 miles) and 30 minutes on the elliptical machine (over 4050 rotations).

I left for the gym the moment they announced who was fired on the Apprentice LOL!

Happy Friday to everyone! Wish me luck in our first softball game of the season tonite!

sunflowermama 04-16-2004 03:36 PM

Hey, I too am "eyeing" that 199 mark. I started last August, 2003 at 319. My main motivation was my daughter's wedding in August 2004, which it still is one of my motivations but also I love the feeling of being thinner. I love not having heartburn, clothes fitting, people noticing me for my weight loss....etc. My daughter will be home on May 13, last time she seen me I was 250, so my goal is when I go to pick her up at the airport is to weigh 199. thats 4 weeks and I weigh this morning 209. So I'm really keeping track of every little thing that goes into my mouth. Some things I do to keep on keeping on....I cut back on portions, I'm not necessarily following any set diet, I eat what my family eats, just smaller portions. I exercise...I try to get in 4 miles of walking a day, I also do weights every other day, I go on the treadmill....the elliptical, I have done some pilates and I got my bike out the other day and have started riding it once again. I WILL GET THAT 199 mark. I drink water and water and water. This is possible....but only I have that power. Thanks for this post. As I can taste that mark....

Girlie 04-17-2004 04:41 AM

Sunflower

That is just amazing!!! What a great inspiration you are! That is so neat! Your daughter will be so happy to see you! WOW!!! Thank you for posting here...you can definitely make it as we all can. You have come a long way!

I had my first bad day today. Things got a bit out of hand and I didn't plan very well. First of all, I had McDonalds for lunch. I haven't been there for so long but of course, I was in a rush. Then, My husband wanted to see a movie tonite and I just can't resist the popcorn. I didn't eat nearly as much as I usually do...and I got water with it and brought my own little healthy snacks, but I still had a lot of calories today. I'm going to be extra active tomorrow. It will be a beautiful day and I'm going to try to do my 8 mile bike trek as well as go to the gym.

I am going to do very well tomorrow and Sunday and weigh in on Sunday night. I get too dependent on the scale though and get upset when I don't lose or if I gain. I am doing a lot of cardio and I'm sure I'm building more muscle and I definitely FEEL different...it's just hard because everyone wants to see the numbers on the scale go down.

Well, I'm going to try to weigh in only on Sundays and stay away from the scale. I need to realize that I've been doing a lot of exercise and I have made dramatic changes in the past couple of weeks and I should be proud of myself for that...and that this is going to take time...old habits are hard to break!

So anyway, I'll probably be lurking around and I'll post on Sunday with the results of my weigh in.

PS - I just love Caesar salad but we all know how terrible that is. I've really been in the salad mood lately...for Romaine lettuce...anyway, I found the best Caesar dressing that is just fabulous. I've probably been using it for months. It's Kraft Free Caesar Italian. I will often order a Caesar salad if I'm out, for example, I ordered one at Wendy's today for dinner, and I brought my own dressing. The Caesar side salad there is pretty filling (although I could easily eat two) and comes with bacon bits and a little parmesean, and I opt for no croutons. A light and filling summer meal. The dressing is also good if you put a little on a grilled chicken breast sandwich with lettuce...a chicken Caesar salad sandwich.

Just thought I'd share that. It took me a long time to find a fat free dressing that I really, really liked and haven't gotten tired of.

Girlie

Girlie 04-18-2004 09:40 PM

Weigh In

Anyone want to weigh n? I had a decent one today. I made a small step...out of the 230's! It's hard for me not to make mini-goals, but I just want to take my time and work hard and see where it takes me instead of saying I want to weight a certain amount by a certain date. It makes me feel too pressured.

All I know is one-derland is on the way...29 more to go!

Girlie

miss_elisha 04-18-2004 11:27 PM

Can't say that my weigh-in was as good: 228. But, as I previously pointed out, ToM makes your weight fluctuate a bit, and it will go down in a few days, so I shouldn't really worry about it. But I am. Because I know I'm slacking. I have been for a few weeks now. And if I want to lose the weight, I've got to get with it and stick with it. I did better on eating today. I'm back to counting calories. That's much easier for me than trying to eat only certain foods. I used the calculator on this site and figured that if I weighed 150 I would need 2027 calories to maintain, so as long as I come in under that I should lose weight until I get down to 150. Today I had around 1700, and that included a trip to Taco Bell (courtesy of my brother, who always makes me get fast food when he picks me up from work, no matter how much I protest). I didn't feel hungry at all today, at least not until I was supposed to, and I think that's the calorie range I'm going to shoot for. I'm going to just count calories to jump start my weight loss again, then once I get going I may switch to some sort of program that includes healthy eating rather than just eating less. That may have to wait until I move out though, or at least until I get a better job and can afford to buy my own food all the time. I didn't exercise today. I had planned to, but then my brother picked me up from work, we went to his girlfriend's place for a bit, we went to eat, and then 2 of the 3 shows I watch per week were on (Sopranos and Deadwood), and now it's after 11pm and too late to get on the treadmill. I'm so tired. I wish I had more time to sleep. And then there's ToM problems... headaches, pissy mood, moodswings, generally feeling pretty crappy, not to mention exhausted. I need some beef, get my iron levels up.
I will exercise tomorrow, and I will keep my calories down.
*deep breath*
I will exercise tomorrow, and I will keep my calories down.

I hope everyone else is doing well.
~Miss E

Girlie 04-19-2004 05:33 AM

Miss E:

There will be many times that I will gain as well. We don't need to make excuses for it...we usually know what we've done wrong and know what to do to change it. Just stick here and keep posting no matter what. Look at how far you have come! You definitely can do it.

Maybe now is the time to kick up your exercise, or spice it up. With me, I know that I don't want to count calories or deprive myself of anything. Right now, I want to eat whatever I want to in moderation and still lose...and the only way I can do that is to do a lot of exercise. That's the only way I can feel "normal", and not like I'm on a "diet".

When I look at thin women who are not dieting, they do not restrict themselves. My thinner friends seem to eat what they want, just in small amounts, and still enjoy food. That's how I want to be. I don't like to have to count anything before I eat something. Sometimes I'll think about what I really want and if there is going to be an alternative that is healthier and that will satisfy me...or I will think whether I really NEED to eat something or not, and sometimes I change my mind. But anyway, I don't want to fill my house with low fat foods, fat free foods, sugar free foods, etc. Of course I'll always drink diet sodas or use Splenda...but I want to eat normal stuff. If I want Taco bell, I'll get a seven layer burrito or a taco and feel fine with it (instead of what I used to get...Nachos BellGrande and two taco supremes...and who knows what else LOL!

Anyway, sorry, just some thoughts that came through my head. All I know is, without the exercise, I'd not be able to lose anything. I know that the machines aren't correct, but for example, my 45 minute elliptical workout said that I burned 655 calories for my weight. I just think of that when I eat...how long on the elliptical it would take for me to burn off what I want to eat. I also did 30 mins on the bike which said I burned 170. No matter how exact the machines are, I just think, would eating a double cheeseburger be worth it?

And sometimes, it is...and I eat the burger...and exercise a little harder that day.

Some day I'm going to hit a plateau though and have to cut down what I eat. But for now, I'm going to eat a little of what I want and exercise hard.

Keep with it along with me, Miss E!

Girlie

Myrtle 04-19-2004 01:07 PM

Hey there! May I join you?

Hello everyone. I have been browsing here today and decided to join you if it is alright!
:)

I have struggled with my weight for a very long time. I am an emotional eater and it is really hard for me to keep on track. It is the only way I deal with stress - but I am learning. I had an awesome week last week and am really motivated for this one. :strong:

I weigh in for myself on Monday mornings. This morning I was pleasantly surprised when I had lost 3 pounds! I am currently at 213! My goal for right now is 210. I would love to be 199 by June 4th...That is my major goal for right now! I will keep at it if you all can help me along.

You all are doing great on your exercise. Have any of you tried the Walking Away the Pounds Program? Or the Beach Body exercise program? :shrug:
I have them both - still in plastic, of course. Will be breaking them out this week.

Hope everyone is doing well and will be back soon to check in!

Myrtle

Satine 04-19-2004 02:36 PM

Hi everyone, sorry I have been MIA for a few days...how is everyone doing?
I am still at 201 and counting :lol: I just got off of my TOM yesterday so I have every hope that I can be under 200 in the next week and a half :crossed:

Myrtle - I do the WATP dvd at home. I do the one mile and the two mile. I really like them and they go by so fast. I know you will like it, tear of the plastic and get at it :)

Oh and on the weigh in thing, I dont know what day you guys decided on but I usually weigh myself every Friday...but Monday would work for me as well.

Later.... :bubbles:

Girlie 04-19-2004 03:26 PM

Arrgh Monday!

Carri - welcome back! You can definitely do it in the next week! I see success in your future for a week from today!

Myrtle - welcome, of course you are welcome here. Congratulations on your loss this week! You are really getting close to ONEderland! I can't wait to get closer! This should be a great summer for all of us!

I went to the Dr. today and weighed there and it sucks to see they have me down as 235...well, that's what happens when you weigh in with shoes and jeans on! I know that's not correct, but it just sounds so bad when I last weighed myself at 229...and I don't wear anything when I do.

Here's to a great week! :cheers:

LynneA 04-20-2004 08:06 AM

Hi All,

I'm a 30 year old housewife (by choice) living in Tennessee. I joined 3fatchicks in March. I've been trying to change my diet and lifestyle to incorporate more healthy low fat food and exercise. It hasn't been easy. I've tried Atkins and although that worked for me (I lost 16 pounds), I hated the way of eating so came off it and put all the weight back on.

I was steadily losing weight at 1lb per week until the past couple of weeks where I have gained weight. This has been my own fault though, seeing myself lose weight I thought I could have a can of coke here, a slice of pizza there, turns out I can't if I really want to lose weight.

I walk every weekday and on the weekend I am usually doing something with the husband or gardening. I walk 3.9 miles and it takes me 1h 20 mins to do this. I am trying to make it 3.9 miles in 1 hour.

I've got very low self esteem at the moment due to being unhappy with the way I am and also because I moved to the US from the UK 2 years ago and still haven't made any friends. I also can't drive yet (but am studying to pass test) which limits where I can go etc.

I'm not going to blame my woes on anyone but myself. My diet for the past couple of years has been terrible and I have had little or no exercise.

I'm currently 206lbs and would like to get down to 150, but would probably be happy at 170.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all.

Satine 04-20-2004 09:48 AM

I Did It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OKAY , the scale said "199" this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay so I could wake up and be at 200 tomorrow since weight fluctuates from day to day, but I saw that number on the scale this morning, I am so excited...I knew after my TOM was over that I should probably be under two
but ya never know, now I gotta work hard to keep it there and going down even more --- HAD TO SHARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :strong: :cp: :cheer:

Okay, now I am off to eat, JK :lol:

LynneA 04-20-2004 10:53 AM

That's awesome Satine, wtg! :high:

Girlie 04-20-2004 11:43 AM

Lynne,

Welcome! I'm so glad that you are here! I think you're doing a GREAT job. We all have setbacks but you know, the main thing is that you are here and getting back on the wagon. Please keep posting and let us know of your future success!

Carri - AWESOME!!!! See, everything comes with time! This should have you motivated to keep going...and going and going! Keep posting here to keep us all inspired because we ALL are trying to get where you are now!

Girlie 04-20-2004 12:27 PM

Congrats To Carri!!!!

Three cheers for Carrie for making it to 199!!!

Hip Hip......HOORAY!!!!! :cheer:

Hip Hip......HOORAY! :cheer:

Hip Hip......HOORAY!!!!!!!!
:cheer:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Satine 04-20-2004 02:29 PM

Thanks so much Lynne and Girlie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so excited but it is also so close to the 200... I guess I will really celebrate when I see 195... ha ha

Satine 04-21-2004 02:53 PM

AFternoon All :sunny: Hope you are all doing well...I am good, been staying OP, just need to get the exercise thing down...I have been doing the Walk Away the Pounds dvd about once a week but have slacked off some and my body is paying the price :lol:

So what day did we decide on the weigh in day? Or was that posted here and I didnt read it....

Okay well just checking in, have a good day...

Plan B 04-21-2004 06:21 PM

Hi All - Mind if I join you? I can bring an upbeat attitude and a quick wit! :cool: Enough tooting of my own horn... I'm 42 pounds away from 199... HELP! I know ya'll can help me get there!

A little about me: I'm 23 and live with my puppy and kitty on a houseboat in Maryland. I have a 2 hour commute (yuck) and I go to school... so I don't have a lot of "down" time. I'm eating pretty much all Lean Cuisine meals, which I know, I know, a lot of people don't agree with, but I've had some success... and lord knows I'm not going to COOK! :p

I weigh in on Fridays... and this week I RE-committed myself to exercise (I do Tae-Bo and Yoga). I look forward to getting to know everyone! - Biz

Girlie 04-22-2004 09:33 AM

Hello and Welcom

Hey there, Biz - welcome! We'd love for you to hang out! Wow, a houseboat?! That sounds neat! I watched a movie not too long ago that incorporated people living on a houseboat in New England! And that is a LONG commute! You know, there is an exercise program called Oxycise that some folks do...it involved breathing in certain patterns and strengths to build muscle, something like that, and I know many people have success with it! There is an Oxycise thread in the Exercise forum, I believe. The reason I'm mentioning it is because there is a commuter tape that I read about that people do this on the commute. Anyway, just a thought! Welcome!

Well hello Carri and everyone! I don't think I posted yesterday -- it was pretty busy. Tuesday night I didn't make it to do my WATP tape, mainly because I figured I'd just gone to the gym that morning. I don't need to overdo it and get burned out. Once a day is just fine...even once every other day would be fine. I just sort of get into a routine and it seems weird if I don't go. Last night I went to the gym and warmed up with 15 mins on the bicycle and I did a whopping 50 minutes on the elliptical. I've been able to do 45 and I felt okay at 45 that I decided to do the 5 minute cooldown at the end this time...I was so proud of myself! i couldn't decide what I wanted to eat for dinner last night so I didn't eat anything...I took a nap and then got up to go to the gym...and i had a headache after my elliptical glory. That's not good! So I had some pretzels and a Lean Pocket before bed.

I think part of doing the cardio for me is all in the music. If I didn't have my CD player with me, I don't think I could do it. It keeps my pace going.

It's worth it though, because I am wearing a shirt that I haven't worn in a while today...I finally feel like it looks good enough to wear. Silly, I know, but we all have our moments LOL!

Where are you all...come on and let us know how you are doing!

Girlie

jilly65 04-22-2004 11:01 AM

hi i'm new here!!

Hi there ,

I have been dieting and exercising since jan.24/04...was at my all time heaviest at 240( I am 38,married with 2 boys..14 & 18)as we are all the same I have had a habit of putting myself last for a long time...well...I decided to get healthy and lose the weight by my 40th birthday!!! ;)
I have lost 30 lbs by watching my carb intake..swimming every am and adding walking 5-7km 3-4 days a week! :dizzy:
It hasn't been easy but my husband has been my biggest cheerleader and walks with me when he can eats what I eat and has lost weight himself!
I would like to be under 200lbs by the end of May...I don't know if that is possible...I seem to have plateued for the last few weeks..any ideas to jump start me into losing again???Any help would be great, this website has been so great and having other people to talk to with the same weight issues I think will motivate me further...Have a great day!!!! I would love to buddy-up with someone with the same goals!!

jilly65

Satine 04-22-2004 11:56 AM

Well I am more than a little discouraged right now, I made such a big deal about seeing 199 on the scale on Tuesday and now have went back up to 201 and it is sticking there, I havent changed anything I have been doing, still staying OP, and still nothing...maybe I am going through a plateau after losing the first 34.5 pounds, I dont know, I could just be holding water for some reason, but I will press on and see what happens...
Hope you all have a good day...didnt mean to come on and just bellyache :lol:

jodileaman 04-22-2004 12:00 PM

Grandma also

[QUOTE=lgroh]undefinedundefinedundefinedHi, I am new but feel out of place. I am a 60 yr old Grandmother who weighs in at 204, I need to lose not only for health reasons but for my own self esteem.

I am a grandma of 5 and I am 50 years old. I am going to overeaters anonymous and having a really hard time not overeating or not eating candy etc. when tempted. I have not started walking yet, but I need to desperately. Most of the people at OA are younger than I am. I think I may need a more defined plan in addition to Overeaters. One thing I have started to realize is when I am cramming food all day or sometimes when I really have the urge to eat, what has happened to cause the craving. Usually stress from an emotion. I.E. Each time I recognized it was my son not coming home at night-he is on probation and has a 9pm curfew. I am trying to let him suffer natural consequences, but that is not working very well. If they don't show up to spot check on him then nothing happens. Anyway good luck. The idea of the 199 group trying to reach that number sounds good to me. Jodi

LynneA 04-22-2004 01:56 PM

We could pick Monday as a weigh in day. I used to visit an Atkins community and they had weigh in threads, one started each week. Those threads were really good motivators and gave a lot of support.

I think having a weigh in day is a great idea!

miss_elisha 04-22-2004 03:42 PM

Welcome to everyone new! :wave:
We're glad to have you on board. We're all going to make it through this, one day at a time.

Satine, congrats on the 199, even if it is only one day a week! (That's one more day than I'm there!) :bravo:
You're only supposed to weigh yourself once a week for that very reason. But, who am I to talk, I weigh myself many times a day! But I only count one per week as "official." Right now it's Friday mornings, but that is subject to change without notice.
Everyone remember that your weight can vary by something like 6-8 pounds in a 24-hour period. Weigh-in at the same time of day, and at the same point in your routine. Hint: your lowest weight is first thing in the morning, after your trip to the bathroom and before your shower or cup of coffee.

Speaking of coffee.... I'm on about my third cup today. :coffee:
Don't worry, it's decaf. I started putting in my creamer and syrup and then I looked at the calorie content--it's ridiculous! I mean, I knew it's mostly sugar, but geez! So this cup is black.
Oh, and I discovered cheddar cheese mini rice cakes. 9 of them only have 70 calories. They were on sale so I grabbed some, figuring they would be ok but nothing really to shout about, but man! was I wrong! When did rice cakes start being tasty? They taste like cheesy popcorn. I love it when I find low-calorie stuff that tastes yummy!

So here's my poll for the day: what's your favorite low-cal/low-fat/low-carb (according to which diet you're on) treat? I'd love to hear as many suggestions as you've got.

Some other favorites of mine: low-fat string cheese, as many cucumbers as I can eat, popsicles (especially the 100% fruit variety), FF or SF fudgesicles... mmmm, low-fat pudding or yogurt, SF jello, roasted soybeans (I really like the wasabi ones, but the plain ones are good too), a few nuts (not too many though, because they're high in fat--but it's the Good fat!), raw cauliflower, snap peas, sushi (depending on what kind), bananas, dried cranberries and/or raisins, popcorn, a slice of lunchmeat, hard-boiled eggs, 2 or 3 Hershey Kisses (when only chocolate will do), English muffins.... the list goes on and on, doesn't it? What can I say? I like food!

Oh, and I figured out something else last night... how long it's going to take me to get to my goal. Right now I'm aiming for less than 1800 calories a day, plus burning 200 calories in exercise 5 days per week. I'm usually coming in under that on the calorie count. I know 1800 sounds like a lot, but the 3FC calculator says that if I want to weigh 150 I need 2027 per day, so anything less than that is good enough for me. My caloric needs at my current weight are 2462 per day, so knocking it down to 1800 would save 662 calories daily, times 7 = 4634 calories saved per week. Add 1000 for exercise = 5634. Divide by 3500 calories per pound = 1.6 pounds lost per week. If I want to lose 75 pounds, divide 75 by 1.6 and that's 46.9 weeks to my goal. I figured it out at different calorie intake levels, the lowest being 1500 cals/day giving me about 34 weeks. Cutting that additional 300 calories a day would get me to my goal 3 months earlier. I could be there by the end of the year.
I know that formula doesn't incorporate how my body uses calories differently as I lose weight, or as I gain muscles, so I'll have to recalculate occasionally. But the point is that it seems a lot closer when I can break it down into weeks like that. 47 weeks seems a lot shorter than a whole year, you know? Weeks are easy, I handle weeks all the time, weeks are short. Years, however, seem to take.... well, years, getting here. But just one more week I can do. I like to break it down into little tiny things because I know I can do little tiny things. I can meet my goals this week. That's all I have to do, just manage this week. I'll do it again next week, but I'm not going to worry about it until then. Right now is the only moment that matters, the choices I make right now.

Okay, sorry for that really long ramble. I'm taking a break from a project and my brain needed something to think about besides being grammatically correct (I'm a tech writer, btw. Or at least I'm hoping to be a tech writer as soon as I get a real job. Right now I'm just freelancing, i.e. working retail), so I give it a break and then it won't shut up. Okay, back to editing. Whee. :blah:

~Miss E

Eager2Lose 04-22-2004 04:24 PM

Here we go again...

Hello all,

I'm Lisa. I'm 24 years old. I have two little girls and am about to be married on July 4th 2004. :D I started gaining weight when I was in the first grade and I guess I never stopped. I always wanted to be normal and healthy like everyone else but just couldn't seem to get there. After having my second daughter in 2000 my weight ballooned to 289.5 lbs. and I was miserable. I started to try to lose weight in 2001 and was more determined than ever before. A year later I had made it to 199 lbs.! I was SO happy. In the process of losing the weight I met my fiance and I got off track big time! I slipped right into my old ways and gained almost all of it back. Now, at 257 lbs., I find myself once again faced with the weight battle and am slowly starting the process of getting back on track. Strangly my upcoming wedding is not the main focus for my weight loss but rather to just lose the weight and be happy with myself. Wish me luck! :) \

**Lisa**