Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 08:53 AM   #406  

Empress, thanks for the headsup on the google thing. I was surprised to see that my email addy was out there for everyone (we've been so careful here on the thread giving it out in pms, etc.) Editted my profile for sure. Will do more editting as time permits.

The nut roll wouldn't end up as a fudgy or candy thing (or I'd be making it!). A more likely way to go with that would be the recipe for my Gran's pb easter eggs (start w/mashed potato). The nut roll is a pastry type dough rolled up with a nut filling jellyroll style. The base of the filling is a meringue. dh rolled his own this time (he's done both before), put in too much meringue filling, so it spilled out and looks like a meringue on top of the dough. It's still a sweet and still has some of the flavor so it's a memory type pleasure, I'd guess. I thought he wouldn't want to make them any more or have them around as he loved them so much and I thought it would be so tempting. He has such will power, I'm ashamed to be so weak. It is life and death with him but then again, it sort of is with all of us.

This type of nut roll is part of his ethnic background (gibonica though many call it povatica - in his background povatica is only poppy seed roll). I do not use his mother's recipe (though I have it as long as I can read my 40 yr old shorthand) but one I found many years ago in an ethnic newspaper. I think it's a bit more Austrian but Croatia was once a part of the Austrian Empire so I think it's valid. Valid or not dh and ds were wild for it. I do honor his mom's recipe by adding a slug of Canadian Club to the filling and have made another tweak or two that makes it work better for me.

I've had no headaches since Monday and actually have been feeling better than I have for weeks. Weird, am I. Sun out today so that helps.

Feel not bad, Eydie. My first answer was the beautiful spring flowers until I heard the princesses' gasp in unison and then I thought of the faces of my loved ones. dh's is engraved on my mind - really, the younger dh so I still "see" him that way. Same pretty much w/my kids. I see them as young adults and probably always will, along w/flashes of their babyhood. But I'd miss seeing the girls' faces yet as they grow and change.

Have much more to say, too much as usual, but also stuff I've just got to get going on so "HI" to all queens and lurkers and missing in action and hope you have a good day.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:52 AM   #407  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Cool

Mornin'! Have arrived! Have perused posts quickly...QOD! Blind! I'd miss all the colour!

Have had a rough week...see details on bunny trail, but am pulling out of the abyss...that looks funny. Writer people what is the spelling...my brain is dead.

Anyway, will post back...hope you are feeling better wsw. Where is Frogger? Glad to see Miz Friday appear...I was getting worried there....Wildfire...has your snow melted yet?

to all else!

Ceara
Old 04-09-2004, 11:03 AM   #408  
Is it Friday yet?

Hello dahlings and Happy Friday to you! Happy Good Friday too!

Evil 1am phone call person called back again yesterday afternoon at 4pm (thank God for caller ID) and I *almost* went off on her, but decided against it and just politely told her she DID have the wrong number. I'm hoping she feels a little contrite now knowing she called a wrong number at 1am... but I doubt it.

Surrogate Granny has the digital camera but the mums needs it back so I shall take a pic of dahling Goddess asap.

Eydie, tractor's a' comin'!!!!!! Vrrooooooooom!!!!!
It is funny watching kids now isn't it? I was watching Bo-Beana's almost 13 year old daughter and I totally "get" her. Trying SO hard to be cool, failing miserably sometimes, succeeding others. Life revolving around friends and activities... It totally brought me back years, seeing some of myself in her actions. Yeah, perspective.

Anagram, yes you DO need a new hobby! Wow... poor thing, all those appointments! Hopefully it's all something fixable though.

Amarantha, isn't it scary when you google your name?? Shockingly enough, nothing came up with mine, but my mom's came up with directions to her house! Sometimes it's a wonder we're all safe n' sound!

Kaylets, I absolutely think you've got a point there! I think we're more aware of our bodies when we are active and more likely to pay more attention to what we're putting in our mouths. I know when I'm exercising regularly (something lacking right now) that I see eating "junk" food as being a waste of my exercise time - so I don't eat it. Hmmmm.... I really think there's something to that idea! Exercise does more than just make ya' sweat!

Ceara, yes, abyss. This week has been rough - we were all discussing it a couple pages back what an odd/icky week it's been. It's almost over dahling, hang tight and call the spa for reservations!!!!

Q o' the day ~ What would I miss most if I were blind? I don't know. I used to think if I were to loose my hearing I'd be miserable without music, but then 3 little girls moved across the street from me when I lived in CA. All 3 were hearing impaired and we used to hear them crank up the music and see them dancing in the house to the beat. That's the only time loud music that I could hear outside someone's house didn't make me mad. So anyway, my point I guess is that even what I think I'd miss if I were blind, I wouldn't really. There's always a way to do what people say you can't. Those girls taught me that.

Ooookay.... enough "deep thinking" for this Friday! I'm off to get some work done and talk the bosses into a 1/2 day for Good Friday (hey, everyone else seems to be working 1/2 day, I wanna too!!!!!). Muahahahahahaaha....

Happy Friday one and all, and a good weekend and Easter too!

Terri
Punkin o' Friday delcareth it Friday... so boogy ooogy ooogy!!!!
Old 04-09-2004, 01:01 PM   #409  
Spreadin' the luv.

Talking

Good morning, darlings.

I'm feeling better every day. The cough is almost gone and I've almost regained my full sense of smell. I'm still amazed at how energetic and expressive I am when I'm healty. Illness for me is an opportunity to discover anew what a sparkly person I can be when I'm well.

QOD: that's an easy one. I know it's NOT COOL, what I'm about to say, but I would truly miss seeing Ramon's face most of all. After that, can I put All of Nature as one thing?

Anagram, still praying for your head and cervical thingy. I'm glad you think self-mothering is a good thing. I've had trouble with the deep-seated feeling that I'm just too easy on myself. And I've heard all my life from everyone that I'm much too hard on myself. Growing up makes it a little easier, doesn't it? I feel like I see myself more truly, acknowledge my failings more readily, and feel such compassion for myself, just as I would for any other struggling person on the planet. In turn I feel more compassion for others when they'd have driven me up the wall in the past. I'm so glad I'm getting a little older...

I still am young enough to want to spend whole paragraphs talking about myself, though!!

Seriously, Anagram, you've been in my thoughts and will remain, my dear. And I'd love the recipe to the nut loaf if you feel like sharing...

Punkin, your caller reminds me of these calls I kept getting when I first activated my cell phone. I'd already gotten 3 or 4 calls (with no message left) from this number when I finally decided to pick up. The guy kept asking for Charlotte. When I said I wasn't Charlotte he kept saying that this used to be her cell number I replied, "Well, this is MY cell number now."

"Oh. Yes, well I'm sorry to have bothered you." He said, then, brightly, "Hey. Where are YOU at? Wanna talk?"

"I'm at the WRONG NUMBER. Please stop calling my phone!!"

I was a little sharp with him, I admit, but I have little patience for someone who's so obviously on the prowl. Hang on. Was someone just talking about compassion?

Ceara, I haven't been to the bunny trail, but I'm sure sorry you're having a rough time. Here's a hug from me, dearest, and I hope the celebrations this weekend leave you feeling refreshed. I know nothing does my heart better than watching an Easter Egg Hunt.

Speaking of hunts, Eydie, what IS it with kids who hold back? I know how they feel, some people just freeze up when there's competing to be done and don't I know it. It's why I'd never get anywhere in opera. Was that your way, too, as a child? I just remember feeling that if I had to be the fastest or the cleverest kid to get an egg that I didn't even want to try, since the more aggressive kids made me so mad. I think even back then I held back from things because I didn't want to awaken my rather volatile temper. Crazy, now you've got ME thinking...

Kaylets, the more I think about it, the more that cooled-off coworker sounds...not well. You described it perfectly, how she interrupted you in the meeting like she couldn't bear to hear you speak. I can just picture it, and it makes me think that she's very agitated about something and tightly-wound over all. I mean, think about it. You, Kaylets, would have to be pretty damned offensive and irritating for a normal person to react to you in that way, and I'm convinced that you're neither offensive nor irritating even on a bad day. Chin up, darling. It ain't you. I have spoken.

That Bob Greene book sounds interesting. Is he a fitness guru or something?

Hey, Amarantha. Phew, you sound like you've had a rough week too. Take a deeeep breath and repeat after me. "I am a very cool person. I have an entire thread of people that adore me and miss me when I'm gone. Cerise thinks I'm neato." Feel better?

Arabella, is icky work over yet? What'cha doin' for REAL Friday night? Hmmm?

Frogger, wsw, Zadie, Esq., love you all. Please be good to yourselves this weekend.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:21 PM   #410  

Hello all!

Finally finished my review-- only took about 5 hrs w/ 1 hr break (total)

Definitely have to keep adding as I go this coming year as this really took too much time

Cerise- glad you are finally coming out of it... and thanks for the kind words, but I know I must annoy some folks at least once in awhile...( it can't be that so many of them annoy me!) but professionalism in the workplace has saved many a life... its one thing if its a family gathering!!
But you really have a very valid point....overstressed... wound too tight...

In fact, I think I have been where she is more than once ....

Where I think I MUST do it all, no one can do it as well as I, no one understands how hard I am working, this proves how important I am, I am tired, tired, tired, ....... yes, been in that place and remember someone trying to tell me how I was only going to burn out and I got very upset with them...
questioning my importance, etc, etc.....

I am just looking forward to when it will be past....I know not all friendships last ... and I am very disappointed that this is happening to this friendship but what can you do? If I 'm annoying than what else can I do???

There are folks I don't enjoy and that's the truth...

must run to the bank...]

I'll be back
Old 04-09-2004, 05:29 PM   #411  

Fyby to drop off the good news. MRI showed no mass, no bleeding, no sign of stroke in brain - just some "non specific white matter changes" which "happen as you get older". Had cervical spine MRI done.

So I still don't know cause but haven't had a headache since Monday so that's a help.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:36 PM   #412  
Spreadin' the luv.

Ah, lovely, Anagram. What a load off. Thanks so much for letting us know!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:11 PM   #413  
Empress/Queen

Yo, sorry again but this is a flyby too ... just finished work for the week ... most of my details these days are on the food/exercise thread and bunny trail ... SPEAKING OF WHICH I JUST POSTED A CONGRATS TO CEARA FOR A FANTASTIC LOSS, but I'm sorry you've had a bad week ... sounds like the fog be lifting!!!

Punkin, I can't imagine what I'd do if I found directions to my house on google ... I've been really interested in your posts about your art and group recently and apologize that I'm always too tired to write much but I've been reading ...

In fact I always read and enjoy everyone's posts so much and apologies to everyone ... I'm just kind of written out ... been working on the story I just sent for days and days ...

I actually did have a bad week but it's nothing to what next week's looking like ... anyway ...

Cerise, I get lots of strange calls on the cell also ... cellphones seem much worse than land lines in this regard, methinks. I used to call 'em back and tell 'em they had the wrong number but now I just totally ignore 'em!

Anagram, I'm so glad you're ok (except I don't like the sound of that white matter that we get as we age! ) ... sent you another pm re the "fudge" and am quite stoked about it!!!! TOMORROW! Yowza!

Kaylets, glad you got your review done ... I know what you mean about being glad but disappointed that a friendship ended ...

C'est la vie or something.

I need to lie down and increase my blood sugar now!
Old 04-09-2004, 08:27 PM   #414  

Anagram! SO GLAD THEY DIDNT FIND ANYTHING! was worried about you!
Maybe it was just a passing thing??

Empress-- I'm sad it appears to be over, but am not glad its over. very disappointed it turned out this way. But sometimes its better to be social than to work together. Perhaps one of those situations where got too close.

Hmmm, Punkin, I just assumed your google search just offered one of those pop ups that say" Would you like directions?" ...I didnt realize the directions were already listed... hmmmmmmmmmmm

Ceara- I will go and look for the loss news... VERY KEWL!

I'm crashing too... and don't know if it is glycemic related or not... I have had the bottomless pit feeling all day... this often happens when I have lost... like my body is on RED ALERT, RED ALERT get those calories back in ...

So, let me go see Ceara's post and then, let me go to sleep and hope I wake up less starved feeling tomorrow.

Till then!
Old 04-10-2004, 01:26 AM   #415  
Spreadin' the luv.

Yay! The women's circle in Seattle finally replied and invited me to their last circle before the summer (during which they don't meet, apparently). I'm excited. Maybe I'll finally get some friends in this city.

Dammit, Kaylets. I hate to hear that you're sad. I know we walk our own paths and must suffer our own ups and downs, but I still feel like this is wrong, like you didn't deserve to be treated this way, and I can't do anything about it.

I have a huge messiah complex sometimes.

Amarantha, the same goes for you. I hope you get a reprieve soon from frenzied writing. Did you say that this coming week's going to be brutal? Thinking of you...
Old 04-10-2004, 10:25 AM   #416  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Kaylets, I think thou really doth need to get some calories in the body ... maybe some sugar be in order here?

Cerise, excited for you about the women's circle ... I need to find one here as I REALLY need some friends ...

Sorry this be brief. I just realized I need to devote this day to a project ... it's career related but not related to my present job, so it shouldn't stress me out too much on my day off!

Later, Pals Club!
Old 04-10-2004, 11:24 AM   #417  

Hoping it was a passing thing, Kaylets. My sister, who's an RN in a nursing home, told me almost every MRI report she sees inludes "white matter changes". Smarty.

Good start on the friends, Cerise. I don't think we can ever have enough. But finding the right ones can be tough. And we have to have some false starts, Kaylets. But painful sometimes. I could use a new group as well but feel I've found a lot of what I've been looking for on this thread.

Well off to play with the princesses today and raid their Easter baskets tomorrow. I have so far successfully avoided any Easter candy - not even a Jelly bean. But I hope DD has some in their baskets. I NEED a couple of black ones.

Another NSV today. I pulled out a springy raincoat (since our weather for tomorrow is to be so un-sunny) and tried it. Last spring it was too snug, didn't look right at all. This year it's way large and I look JUST STUNNING in it (modesty rules). So with the purple suit, that's two things more I can get into despite my lack of real weight loss progress this past year.

So have a goody weekend.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:14 PM   #418  

Hello all!

Slept in some this am and when I got up, DH handed me coffee and breakfast and a list of where we were headed....

I seem to be very nostalgic this holiday....
For times past, for family far away, etc, etc...
I'm trying to stay busy now that I realize that I am emotional but wonder if that's part of yesterday's "so hungry" all day feeling....

Otherwise, weather has been very nice...sun, not to chilly... am doing some laundry now to hang out and take advantage before the weather changes tomorrow.

Thought of the day :
"We all need second chances. Give somebody one."
--from Life's Little Instruction Book

Question of the day :
"If you could go back in time, for just one day, where would you go and what would you do?"

Anagram- Of course you look stunning... absolutely MARRRVVVEEELOOUSSSS!!
That's a great idea... wonder if I have anything in the closet that I think is too small....

Cerise-Thanks for the kind words... what can you do? I know I've got folks who do like me and maybe things will work out in the future...
I did ask some other coworkers for feedback as part of my review and was very pleasantly suprised .... A very good example of not realizing how much folks do think of you....
Isnt it the way of the world?? We don't appreciate what we have but lust after what we can't have??
hmmmmmmm

Empress-- oh puleezzeee... you are so funny! You forget you are taking to the Sugar Binge Queen... and I know you only meant good things for me but demon sugar has been pointing to you post and saying to me " See, Empress of Everything says its ok... LETS HAVE SOME" and I say.. "But then it won't stop till September" and Demon Sugar just grins and nods .......

Good news.. cannot report the nutrition but can report the Apple Walnut salad at the Golden Arches is very tasty. The Walnuts appear to be "sugar coated' but you don't get more than maybe 3 oz and only maybe an 1/8 cup of yogurt "dressing".

Just finished watching the NBC documentary called "Saving Bella"...puts lots of things in perspective...
If you've not seen it, its about a 2yr old little girl who needs both liver and kidney transplants.

Think I could use some tea.
Anyone else?
Old 04-10-2004, 09:12 PM   #419  
deleted2

Anagram, I'm so glad all is well! Hope this means many days/weeks/months of blissful doctor-free days!

Kaylets, the time travel question blew my mind. They always do! I've been thinking about my past a bit lately, and though there are some things in my past that ick me out mightily, they've made me the person I am today. I don't think that I'd go back really---just joyously forward!

Cerise, can't wait to hear more about the women's circle. Let us know, okay?

Garry tilled our garden area today, so it's all ready to plant as soon as the danger of frost is past. I should plan some lettuces and peas now though. Hope our garden is more productive this year. Last year was bad for everyone.

Had a marshmallow 'peep' today. You know, they're really not that good!

Old 04-11-2004, 07:53 AM   #420  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Hoppy Easter Bunny Day, s!!! I can't sleep as was awoken by Old Dog who thought someone was breaking in (not an unusual happening here) but it was only the wind!!!!

Am declaring my freedom from BFL eating today and going back to just counting calories ... but aiming to eat right and divide everything into seven meals a day ... will report weight on the bunny thread and hope everyone comes on there next week (if you posted a goal) and posts a report ... I'm sure I'm up so everyone will be doing better than me, er, better than I am doing or ...

Edited because I'm going to go ahead and post a May Day thread so it'll be up next week for s who wanna do it!!! I would like to keep the bunny thread open for reports and weight goal discussion this week and also post a three-week "sprint" for May Day NOW?

Yea, K, the Sugar be dogging me heels ... hence, I'm not going to say again that I won't have treats during the week ... just didn't work out ... did better having a bit here and there ...

I also need to reduce the amount of protein I'm eating ...

The argument I had with the store clerk yesterday proved to me that I'm veeery cranky, as I'm arguing with strangers all over the place ... I need the in my life a bit longer ... the argument was ongoing ... she's the manager of a certain health food store near me and every single time I've gone in there, she's presented me with some kind of negative "the customer is always wrong" type attitude and argued with me over a certain savings card that certain health food chain used to issue that I purchased and then they cancelled that program and kept trying to replace that card with their other savings program, which was of lesser value, and she kept trying to tell me it was all to my advantage and she'd give the new card to me FREE if I'd give up the old card, but then when I caved in and said ok, she said that oh, come to think of it she COULDN'T give me the card free, I'd have to buy it and she was always snippy, aggressive and in-my-face about it so yesterday I told her I didn't need all this negative attitude when I was shopping and (old person's lament) whatever happened to the concept of customer service and the customer always being right and then I went out and ate everything in sight ... my last sight of this nasty, attitudinous woman was of her smoking furiously on the sidewalk (she's always doing this when I go to the store) and talking in her cellphone. I can't understand why I thought that was the ONLY health food store chain in town (it's a very well-known one) and why I shopped there for so long when obviously my patronage was not appreciated.

I'm venting ... need to go back to beed.

Re marshamallow Peeps ... ummm, aren't they made of cardboard?

Last edited by Amarantha2; 04-11-2004 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Taking out the sprint question and starting a May Day sprint today!!!
Closed Thread