Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 04:55 PM   #196  

What a treat to hear from Wood Nymph! And so glad son is doing better. Would much rather have short posties than NO posties.

And, Cerise, loopy is good in my book. I can go positively bananas over a crocus or a pink hyacinth. And spring is a loopy season, at least for me. And I'm pretty much a non journaller - if things get too complicated I know I'll just chuck it all (I have experience there to back up that opinion). I can try to exercise more, drink water and stay to somewhat reasonable portions, etc. but told myself this would be about more healthier eating and that's what it's been.

Actually, ended up I didn't even see the plumber, dh dealt with him. He sounded young enough to be my grandson though.....Only get attention from old guys these days and usually it's more my car than moi they're interested in. But any attempt at coiffure and makeup is better than the way I look at the computer first thing in the a.m.

Have had a premonition or two in my life and hope Kaylets' is for something good. Was supposed to go on vacation years ago, to meet up with friends. For two days before we were to go (and I had been gung ho up till then), I had "that" feeling. Finally told dh we just could not go. Needless to say, he was irritated esp. since I couldn't give a reason. The day after we'd have gone my grandmother passed away. We'd have just arrived and had to turn and come back. I know friends thought I was loopy but they stopped by on their way home and we were at Gramma's funeral. DH has been a true believer in my intuitions and premonitions ever since. Even though I've also had many that meant nothing I could ever figure out.

On that gloomy note, I think I'll go back to loopy...................A lot of welcome action here this afternoon.

Last edited by anagram; 03-11-2004 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:01 PM   #197  
deleted2

Kaylets, the feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop is excruciating, hope it's past. I agree with the others who've said it's most likely a leftover from the unsatisfying WW meeting.

Hello, Arabella! It's so great to 'see' you. I knew you were lurking! Please don't stay away--you're one of the founding goddesses here!

Cerise, many thanks for your kind words. I'm feeling better today--ready to throw myself out there. What's the worst thing that could happen? Here's one of my many deep dark secrets: It always floors me to learn that someone likes me. Why should that be? I know it doesn't make any logical sense. ****, I even think that I'm pretty cool most of the time. I think that I'm overthinking the friendship thing at this point. I'm totally open to it--I'm just afraid of coming on to strong [the stalker!] or overcompensating and being too aloof [the ice queen!]. My "problem" is I don't want someone I just exchange recipes with, I want to really know someone and that could probably look kinda scary to some folks!
Oh yeah the weight loss thing---Cerise, my love---please stop agonizing over the journaling. As a matter of fact, I forbid you to journal! You can live vicariously thru my journal!
One more thing--I want you to know that the 'be kind' quote has made it onto the revered dry-erase board on our refrigerator. We love it--it really is a life changer!

Anagram, Your next visit to the Special Place will be better, I'm sure. [I love that name!] Yes, please--tell us more about the plumber!

Ooooh, have I mentioned? We're going to Virginia Beach next week! next Thursday and Friday night.

Old 03-11-2004, 05:12 PM   #198  
Empress/Queen

Default Yo!

Yowza!!! Wood Nymph be back amongst us and sounding great!!! I'm so glad!!! WN, I love thy idea of popping in regularly with small posties rather than waiting until thou canst do a big 'un!!!! Small or big, we need to hear from thee!!!!! And there's a towel boy waiting with thy name on him!!!! Yowza!

THAT GOES FOR ALL THE ROYALS!!!! This be a message from those pesky towel boys. Anagramatic, I don't think I can hold them in check forever!!!!

Cerise, I love hearing about Seattle (I used to live there and it is wonderful) ... I'm also enjoying nature a lot as this is the best time of year here ... except everyone has allergies and I have another sinus infection, but c'est la whatever ...

Thanks for thy kind words and yes (shiver) I remember the V!!!!

Re friendship, I don't have any troubles expressing beliefs that seem negative or self-pitying to others (or for that matter expressing anything, which, unfortunately is one of my problems in life, but I digress) ... such as that I don't believe it is possible for anyone to really like me after getting to know me. Even my family doesn't like me ... one brother's kind of an exception but I stay out of his hair. I can't even imagine having 6 close friends that I believed would never stop being a friend ... that would be amazing. I have a lot of journalist pals, though ... but that can be tricky as we're all so competitive!

I think it's important to not go into a shell though, so I seek activity with people as much as possible. Also tricky!

My personal training day was today instead of tomorrow so I'm going to do the whole two hours of one of the gym instructor's back-to-back aerobics, yoga and tai chi tomorrow. I told her I'd do it just so's I won't wimp out on being in a class that long ... not sure why I'm mentioning this at this spot in the postie, but there it is: I digress again!

Anagramatic, I wish thou hadst not mentioned the cream of crab soup ... I LOVE crab but have never heard of that ... oh my goodness that soundeth good when I don't feeleth well (as now because of the sinus thingie, which I'm getting extremely tired of)! I shall possibly have a crabcake for dinner. Will be posting my menu as usual on the Demon Food Thread!

Cerise, IMO (unsolicited) I don't see why thou needst worry that thou hast to journal if thou doeth not want to. Many folk do not like to do this and still lose weight just fine. If WW made thee feel like you HAD to journal, that is very dogmatic of them. The main thing is just to eat less and move more ... you dinna need to engage in detailed bookkeeping, Lass! I personally do because it works for me and I actually enjoy it (hate to do financial type bookkeeping but love crunching numbers when it comes to the human body, don't know why). It's easy to just eat a nutritious, balanced diet, keep an eye on your portion sizes and pull away from second helpings and stay away from junk food (my downfall) ... then try to get lots of healthy exercise during the whole day (not just in the gym). It sounds to me as though you already do all these things, so no one should make you feel you are not doing it right. We all have our methods!!!!! Dogma and punitive regimes never work out for long! Keep a'goin' ...

Kaylets, SENDING A BOOSTER OF POSITIVITY THY WAY!! That's one of my favorite words ... positivity ... it just gives off such good vibes. Maybe thy uneasiness is just spring fever and opportunity knocking somewhere off in the distance for thee ...

QOD: I'd much rather have a great personality than looks ... I remember reading about (I think) Dame Margaret Rutherford, a British actress in the 1930s. Some writer mentioned her beautiful 'ugliness' if that's the word ... dunno. Anyhow, her brilliance, talent and unique character were what made her beautiful and her unconventional sort of exaggerated dowdiness was actually the icing on the cake. I'd much rather be Margaret Rutherford than say ... well, I don't want to insult any actress but I can think of lots who are thought of as "beautiful" but seem uninteresting. However, this is a fallacy, too, as many of these ladies are, I am sure, quite interesting in their own right but society doesn't give them credit for that because of their exaggerated "beauty." So I guess I'm saying that looks DO matter, but there's no reason to think that anyone should look any certain way ... if that makes sense? Probably not.

I'd better eat as my blood sugar is dropping out of my brain!
Old 03-11-2004, 05:12 PM   #199  
Spreadin' the luv.

OK, I have to ask - who ARE the founding queens and when/where/why did this thread of sisterly royals begin?
Old 03-11-2004, 05:16 PM   #200  
Empress/Queen

Eydie, thou snuckest in whilst I were posting ... congratulations on thy Virginia Beach plan! I will see thee later on the food thread!!! Yowza!!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 08:54 PM   #201  

Hello all!

How goes it? I feel more cheerful... even have tomorrow's lunch cooking on the stove right this minute and both dishwasher and washing machine running as we speak... Don't know why I was so antsy ... but thanks for the positivity.. I really did feel my spirits lift about 2 pm my time....

Arabella-- I have been wondering and am so glad to see you have a chance to stop by ... I agree with the Empress about short posts more often than long ones less frequently... glad to hear DS is on the mend.
How is the new job coming along?

and perhaps you and the Empress can share how this thread began?? I know I found both of you about the time you were both doing "21 day New habit Challenges"... and somehow, some of us were talking about treating ourselves as we would treat company .... ( setting a nice table, spending the time making a nice meal) and we then we all became queens... or higher nobility...
Which is why I still call the Empress, the Empress.... I prefer it and its easier for me to spell... and our Punkin made herself the Queen of Friday and rides her tractor in full royal regalia including her tiara....
But honestly, I don't know much about before I stumbled in one day....
and then made myself a pot of tea after I stoked up the fire ... and I think I'm the one who redid the slipcovers last spring too.... In fact, I remember now! I had just begun a new job and was very homesick for my other job...
hmmmmm.....Which means come this spring, I've been a queen for nearly 2 yrs...hmmmmm....

----
I hate journaling too ...

But... have been suprised two or three times the past few days at how quickly the numbers add up....
BUT....Cerise.. whatever works.....I don't know other plans so I have no other ideas for you...In fact, I guess the real truth is ... I'm learning how to eat as an average size person eats... I honestly have only been without constant sugar craving, sugar bingeing, sugar hangovers for about 4 mos... and in looking back, believe that most of my appetite problems even as a kid are related to this sensitivity of mine....

Look how long I am tonight!
Must see if the washer has stopped and hang the clothes up to dry...
and see if the Apprentice is on again tonight...

Take care all!
Old 03-11-2004, 10:53 PM   #202  
Empress/Queen

Yo, I feel better after a nap as well, Kaylets, plus I broke down and got the prescription filled for the sinus infection, though I be dead set against overmedicating this.

NOTICE: I posted this a few minutes ago on the food thread and am posting it here as well:

... I have a question for everyone who's posting here and on the exercise thread ... since there aren't a lot of us, would it be a good idea to revisit this idea and post a combination food/exercise journal? We're almost to the vernal equinox, which was the impetus for the exercise thread and both threads are getting long. I really like posting the menus/exercise we do (I do know that 3FC has a journal section but I don't really want to do that ... I just like us all posting our menus together so we can keep in touch with our goals as a group ... and it's fun seeing what we are all eating and doing for exercise). Anyway, please advise. ...

If no one objects, I'll combine the two threads tomorrow sometime even though it's not exactly the vernal equinox ... but speak out if thou hast other ideas ... I HATE to be pushy, but less threads would be better, dinna ye think so, queens!

Kaylets, I'm not sure I remember how we all got to be royalty. For a long time I've used fantasy to motivate myself in all areas of life and likely started blathering on about it at some point but it may have been somebody else who started it, dunno ... but I think (though am not sure) that I first encountered Wood Nymph aka Arabella on the old Christmas Lite thread on the support forum and then there were some threads about the psychological side of weight issues and some other stuff. Some of the Lites still post on 3FC in various places ... they revived it briefly but I haven't seen it lately. There were some really interesting posters on those threads and if they're around I wish they'd show up at the palace and grab a towel boy or something ...

Later ...
Old 03-12-2004, 06:33 AM   #203  

Hello all!

Empress, I have been having a hard time making it to the other threads so whatever you think is best .... Might be easier for me if both are combined...

Today's thought is :
"If it weren't for electricity, we'd be all watching television by candlelight"
-- George Goebel

Question of the day :

"When you are dissatisfied with service in a restaurant, do you complain to management or just leave a small tip?"
-- Table Topics from the Pampered Chef

Anagram-- Thought of you when I saw that question!

Routine off this am as DH needed to pack an order quickly for someone who
"must" have it by Monday... Dh will go to the Post Office at noon providing payment comes electronically... Its an order for 6 "retro" style bowling bags..
I wound up w/ kitchen detail and threw together my first scrambler... am wondering if I can freeze them.... Think I'll try it with a tablespoon or so from my breakfast...

KETTLE IS ON!
Old 03-12-2004, 07:35 AM   #204  
deleted2

Am, I think combining the food/exercise threads is a fine idea!

I was thinking about our history last night. I don't remember all the details, how I insinuated myself into the group ---I know that it constantly amazes me how we all gravitated to each other, how we seem to have similar interests and philosophies. I first remember the 21-day challenges, and I remember when Arabella was Babette. Hey, anybody remember when my name was "Goddess"?! Maybe just a touch over the top?

Kaylets, what are scramblers?

I was checking out the Va. Beach sites last night and it turns out that while we're there, they're having the Shamrock Sportsfest, a big fitness expo and marathon--so that should be interesting and keep us on track.

Must go---I have a dentist's appointment thses morning!

Old 03-12-2004, 08:21 AM   #205  
Momma Frog

Hello lovies!!

Don't know how we all came together, and don't know how I butted right in and sat right down, but I'm glad we did.

I'm in an unusally chipper mood for a friday, (usually my friday's here at work are bad) but, it's my last friday at the demon job, and for that I am truely thankful. I have an interview with a temp agency next friday morn because I enquired about a job they had posted. I'm excited, especially if they have the benefits they claim to have. If I don't qualify for that job, maybe they can find me something else for about 6 months until the baby is born. Right now, my healthcare coverage will go until the end of the month, then neither I or my DH are covered by anything. So here's hoping to a good job opportunity. I also applied to a government job, which closes today, so maybe I'll get a call. DH is thinking about going back into the electrical trade so that we'll have good insurance. I DO NOT want him to. It's coming upon summer and you guys remember his blackouts last year whilst working for the electrical people. I cannot go through that again. And he really likes what he's doing now. That's why I'm trying so hard to find something good. But I'm afraid. I think they can take one look at me now and tell I'm expecting. I have a little belly. I'm just scared that I won't find something.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:16 AM   #206  

Good hearing from you, Frogger. Maybe those awful blackouts had nothing to do with working in the electrical field but a lot to do with the stress of that particular situation. Hope you find insurance soon as lack of that can lead to stress as well. Hang in and hope you are relaxing by this time next week.

Empress, I vote for combining. I try to read all three but someties, it's just this one.

Good question, Kaylets. I guess I answered it earlier this week. But I'd say it's situational. Quick story - some years back dh and I were staying at the Waldorf Astoria of great fame. He was in a mood to treat me to a marvelous breakfast there - harp music, etc. Well, the service was atrocious - late and very look-down-the-nosish (word?). Food, when it came was good. Anyway, dh decided it was so bad he would leave NO TIP AT ALL. OK - later, I check out our bill on the TV screen and see a somewhat generous tip is included. DH immediately calls management, who definitely removed it and said they'd check into it. We get a call later that the server "thought you'd forgot" and added it himself! Of course, dh described in detail the rude treatment we'd had and used some choice accounting terms to describe what he thought of the "addition". I've read somewhere since that it's best to put some amount, however modest so there can be no misdetermination of "forgetfulness".

Again, dh is not one to quibble a lot if the server is "first day", anywhere upwards of my age (Ok we made that rule a long time ago so it's more likely to be anywhere north of 50). someone with an obvious problem who's trying to do best, etc. He is, however, more easily ired than I am and tip will then be in lower part of "acceptable" range unless above condition applies.

Another story - on trip south we stopped in a Waffle House for lunch, obviously not a pricy meal. Dh was still in Christmas spirit and server looked like she could not have held most jobs and was having a really tough time with this one (I won't bore you with details of service, etc.). So he decides to give her a $5 or $10 tip (I don't remember which but it was like a $2 tip check). She did not even seem to realize it was a good tip. But I figure at the end of the day, the few bucks might help. So not a hard and fast answer. We do complain some times to management.

Not much on tap today - groceries, laundry, just plain catchup. DS and DDIL might be coming in tonight for the party tomorrow.

Oh, Eydie, speaking of them - they've run several times in the race for that Shamrock weekend. Well, DDIL has, DS has done the fun run. Enjoy.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:21 AM   #207  

Re the Royal Court -

I happened along for a Halloween Challenge in 2002 when all were being gentle folk in the shire. It seemed so much more fun than a do-or-die challenge that I was immediately smitten.

I noted our Empress (then disguised as a Hag), our Wood Nymph, our Goddess, our Queen of Friday and became a Crone. Somewhere along the way (mayhap in the Christmas challenge), I morphed to a Dowager for a while and I think it was around that time that Empress noted we were all of queenly stature in how we dealt with the challenges of life and healthy weight loss and we became a royal court for sure. At least that's my version - may all have been a royal court long before the shire days.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:03 PM   #208  
Spreadin' the luv.

Default Logic 101

Hah! I'll bet you never thought you'd see that in a message title from Cerise. But, indeed, to complete my "Liberal Arts Education", I had to take one logic class. It was nearly my undoing. One thing I learned stuck with me beautifully, though...false dichotomy. A false dichotomy is when (if memory serves) you split a situation into only two solutions, i.e. "You're either for us or against us". That's potentially a false dichotomy. One I grew up with is: "You either follow Jesus our way or go to ****". So, here's the one I believe I've been entertaining too much lately: my belief that I can either journal my eating and succeed at weight loss, or I can not journal and must subsequently stay at 210 or whatever. It can't be that cut and dried. There must be another way. Considering full-on veganism as a very real option. That means (in my mind) a switch from french-fry, ice-cream-eating vegetarianism to more of a simple, healthy, whole-food-y way of eating. We'll see, we'll see, we'll see.

The nice thing is that we're all tweaking things on our journey towards better health and we all understand when one of us makes decisions and then changes them quickly after. It has been of great comfort to me to watch many of you do this - change habits, philosophies, mindsets, methods - without apology. Therefore, so will I.

The two sparkling days are over - today it's dark clouds as far as the eye can see. Never mind - IT'S FRIDAY!!!

Punkin, I'm sorry, didn't mean to usurp your declareth-ing authority. Would you kindly come by and proclaim it to be Friday?

QOD: we've really never had such terrible service that we've had to take action of any kind. If we feel like we got attitude from a server (sometimes it happens when I make too many inquiries about ingredients), we usually round down instead of up when we're calculating the 20%. Other than that, I feel so deeply for servers, the vast majority of whom wish to see you pleased and well-cared-for, that most transgressions are either kindly mentioned or ignored. Two things: I won't settle for bad service - I get whatever's wrong fixed, respectfully, and I won't tolerate rudeness to any server. My father and FIL both know that if they're rude or dimissive to a server they're going to get it from me later. **where's the whip-cracking smilie? Oh, yeah... ** Good enough.

Frogger, I'm so happy that this is your last Friday in a toxic environment!! Your little tadpole feels your joy, I'm sure. Sending you every best wish in my arsenal for your job prospects. I really respect your husband for being willing to shoulder a tough job for your little family, but you're right, there are quality of life issues at stake for you, too, if he goes back to that kind of stress. I mean, if he's so stressed out that he's tense and blacking out, he's not going to be much help to you or Frogger Jr. I believe that things are going to sort themselves out for all three of you, dearest.

Eydie, I'm so glad that you and DH are going to have a nice getaway next weekend. You deserve it so much. My love, I think most good people are astonished to their cores when they find out that others think their company is worthwhile and enjoyable. I still get stopped in my tracks even when Ramon, of whose love I've never had the slightest doubt, expresses enjoyment in being with me. Aren't we funny? It's the people who take the adoration of their friends as a matter of course and as something they duly deserve who kind of disturb me...

As for how to come across to people when seeking sincere friendship, I'm facing the same dilemma. I'm starting to think that frankness (as always, with as much tact as I can muster) and patience and willingness to see how things turn out will serve me best. Let's keep tabs on each other, OK?

Amarantha, I stand by my opinion that you're more than worth knowing. Though I'm too much of a pleaser to always say what's on my mind no matter what, I've always treasured honesty above any other trait in humans I meet, no matter how much it can rankle. As long as the honesty is accompanied by humor, a good sense of give-and-take, and respect for my opinions as well. All these things I've found in you in abundant quantities.

Kaylets, does anyone like to journal? (OK, besides you, Amarantha) I feel like the fact that journalling appalls me so much is a failing of mine - that I simply don't have the discipline to buckle down and write the stuff down. You can imagine how I felt about keeping a control journal for FlyLady. Still, though, laziness aside, there's still something that deeply jars me about requlating my eating that much. I reserve the right to change my mind at any time, of course...

I'm glad the jitters have backed off, my dear, and I got a vicarious feeling of satisfaction for the household jobs you got done, too. Thanks for sharing those bits of your domestic life. You "older sisters" can't imagine how much inspiration I derive from hearing about how you order your lives. I can use all the help I can get.

Arabella, I not only agree with your philosophy of "checking in" even if you're not planning on writing a novella, but I'm determined to implement the plan myself when I have a minute or two during the day. Again, it's so lovely to read your name on the board again! I hope your feeling of well-being is continuing on today...

All right, lots to do today, but I feel so good for having stopped by and communed with you. However we gathered, I'm glad I found you. Meeting you and moving to Seattle are literally the best things that have happened to me this year (well, come to think of it, they're both the best things that have happened to me in...5 years or so!!).

There you have it.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:24 PM   #209  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Am working but stopped for a second to read this ... yea, I do remember now when Wood Nymph/Arabella was Babette and starting the 21-day challenges and Eydie was the Goddess but then she decided she was a goddess-in-training named Eydie and I do remember that Anagram was a Dowager, etc.

I think on 3FC I've been Artmuse, Crone and Amarantha (the empress of absolutely everything)!!!!!!

Thanks for the understanding input about combining the journal threads (Cerise, sorry to use that word, you could just hop on the threads now and then and let us know generally what you ate and how thy exercise situation's going. ... methinks you should NOT worry thyself about journaling ... it's NOT a failing if you don't want to journal ... it's more in line with me not wanting to do yardwork although some folks love it (inexplicably), likewise I would HATE to be a dentist but that profession is some people's passion ... in fact, I read some dietician's advice the other day that people should NOT journal everything they eat and it's just wrong to do so because ... well, I'm not sure what the reason was ... and actually that's the opposite end of the spectrum ... I've often been criticized because I believe for myself in being a CRE ... Chronic Restrained Eater ... some medical types think this is an eating disorder ... others think it's the only way some people can manage their weight ... I'm in the latter camp but that's just me ... anyhow, what I'm trying to say is I hope you don't stress over this journaling thing ... you don't need to do it to get where you want to be, you have to do this your way! Just blow those journaling worries away like your little bubble man is blowing away the bubbles! Om shanti!!

Yikes, I'm giving advice too much and digressing and I need to do the paying writing in order to stay current!

Peace!
Old 03-12-2004, 06:33 PM   #210  

Silly me - got so wrapped up in my post this a.m. that I forgot the most important thing. I weighed in today and was down about a pound and a half from last week. Probably just water from getting back on track but however......206.2!

Walked a half hour today.
Closed Thread