Old 02-12-2004, 08:50 AM   #46  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi Gosia, welcome to the group! Congratulations on your new baby. So how did you come to live in Berlin? Are you following any sort of specific diet plan? We are full of questions here but we love to laugh and chat. Look forward to getting to know you better.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:32 PM   #47  

I moved to Berlin because of my hubby who is German :-) I think it's the most common reason of mocing to another country I have ever heard of.

I amnot following any diet plan religiously, I use somehow modified South Beach. For me it means no bad fats, no carbs with high Glycemic Index and eating less in general. It works for me, mainly because I think I am addicted to refined carbs and not cutting them has always led to disaster. This way I have had a couple of very bad days at the beggining but afterwards I get used to the new way of eating and do not have any cravings any more. I do not follow the South Beach plan exactly, because I am breastfeeding my baby and Phase 1 would be too extreme. Alizée should gain weight and not lose it LOL and she is very upset if she's not getting enough. But hey, allowed is what works well, so my modified version is more than OK actually. I try not to eat too much, but I eat dinner normally, I even indulge myself in potatoes or pasta or noodles sometimes. But I think it's working so well because of breastfeeding as well. So I am going to feed Ali as long as possible to keep the calories burning. It's still a long way to go...

My biggest problem was eating to release stress at my job. Now when I'm at home I can control my cravings better. So it's autamatically easier to lose weight. Hopefully I will achieve my goal before going back to work next January and will find a way to control my stress eating in some way then. I would hate to fall back in the old behaviour path and gain 50 pounds in only 3 years!

Hugs
Gosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:34 PM   #48  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

What Havoc?? All I meant was the site was going to close due to flooding!! (as someone else said) You all have to admit there were a lot of them at one time!!!

Shad I wonder if you will ever have a trip that just goes according to plan! I hate to keep laughing but I really think you should be keeping a written diary and make it into a book. I remember reading one MANY years ago about a family that moved to australia and something about a Kangaroo!! I guess there aren't any pics of puddles and streams and lakes forthcoming?? In NJ they have a fit if there is more than 1 inch. They think it's a bloody monsoon and head to the stores for supplies!! I hope you get some nice weather soon! Maybe that area should think of growing rice as their main crop!!! LOLOL

Shaker~ You will make a lovely attendant and I too hope you don't get up to Happy's wedding day tricks!! I once laughed in church with my little brother. We were rolling on the pew and I thought the minister was going to come out of the pulpit and kill us both. The looks he gave us were fuel to the laughter though!! I never forgot that day! OH BTW~ You keep laughing at me and I'll send some of those geriatric men over to you across the pond!! Then your Copper can handle them for me!

Happy~ As a result of my taking THURSDAY OFF TWICE, one of the women is barely talking to me!! She asked if I was coming back, I said my usual yes and left. Needless to say I never got dressed and went back! But that is part of theiR nonacceptance of the "retirement" thingy! Your wedding story cracked me up!! I used to hate when that happened cause I couldn't breathe!! Since then I try to stop it before it begins! Your chocolate craving was in tune with mine!! I was eating ch. pudding at the time!! Sugar free of course but choco just the same! LD

Gosia~ Welcome and me too with the same questions as Happy. Congratulations on the baby and not gaining so much weight!! Good show!!

Well Girls I better try and be productive today. Get something done before it's time to get undressed and go back to bed! have a good THURSDAY AGAIN!!! ~ Mel

Last edited by MELODY525; 02-12-2004 at 02:38 PM.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:39 PM   #49  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Welcome Gosia and congratulations on your wee baby girl. We like to have pictures to look at on this thread so when you can, post a picture of the baby and or you and DH.
Rain has stopped for a while although forecast is for further deluges - another 300ml fell last night down in Innisfail and Tully - they will have all sold out of snorkels and aqualungs by now Wouldn't you know it - blue sky this morning and I'm on a flight out of here at 4.00pm.
MEL, I can't write a book on the doings of this company - there is such things as libel and slander and I also signed a confidentiality clause which I constantly break by telling the world about it on this site. However since I have to put up with the constant frustrations and deviants you lot are going to do the same.
I guess after all this time we have lost Kim (but gained Gosia) and it is now time for the English contingent to come out of hiding and post - HEY TEEL you will have 5 pages to read if you don't watch out!
Gotta go and do battle - forget the blue sky, it has turned to grey again - but at this moment dry therefore it is time for me to reduce someone else to tears (Anyone else want my job???)
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:38 PM   #50  

Height: 1.73

Right Shad thanks for straigtening that one out bout the locations.. Wlg isn't so bad I think they make Akl better as it is colder there than here. Have been a bit peeved with the whole weather thing really, it is due to rain all w/end and summer is going going gone.. that's about as close as I can get to a tanty!! anyway it was cold this morning so guess Shad Oz does look good after all. DH won't move that would be my only problem!!

Welcome Gosia, your baby sounds lovely, I have got two kids aged 6 and 7, a boy and girl who are joy germs (most of the time!!)... I put on plenty of weight during the pregnancies and after getting my together managed to lose most of it and just seem to be stuck with a feew kg to come off. I go to WW but I follow the low carb, in fact more like no carb routine. I avoid them mostly all together and chuck in a few walks a week and seems to work well. I haven't read the SBD but guess it is about what I do anyway. I had the cravings for the first few days as well but it gets really easy now to say no to them.. as long you have something to replace them with!! I make the ww jellie's and 1/2 a punnet of strawberries and a pottle of ww (or similar) yoghurt is a great way to fill that gap in the evening when the choccy munchies come kocking at your door!!!!

I am working tomorrow so I will post then more than likely.. DH is going on a youth aid trip but was suppose to be yacht's on the water so that won't be to much fun in the so he might finish that early. We have a party to go to at the BIL's house although in the that will be not much fun either especially when you have bored rugrats!!! We don't celebrate valentines day, mainly just a big waste of money, although when I was younger and being courted like Mel (reliving her youth) is, the choccy's didn't go amiss!!! Am sure DH can come slap a ticket on some of those spritely old folk for ya!!!

Have a great day all, is after lunch so off to do some work again.. what is it with having 2 jobs, never any time for personal stuff.. ..
shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 04:55 AM   #51  

I'm home!!!!!! It's nice to be here and shortly I will have to go unpack the case and put the laundry in the machine and maybe even turn it on!! although that may wake up the DS. It's hot and sticky and thundery down here but blessedly dry!!!.
Dog greeted me with a bit kiss and a sniff or two (where you been? Oh nowhere exciting hey).
Uneventful plane trip only the kid next to me had his headset on full bore. Didn't need a set myself as I could hear every word regardless of whether I wanted to or not. Aaaah well he'll be deafer than me by the time he gets to my age!!!
The house looks relatively tidy for DS having been in it for 2 weeks on his own. Maybe he has had Wendy around.... or Leonie.....or Belinda.
Oh and guess what - I have Monday off. Yaahoo and hallelujah. Now what can I do with a day to myself........ Oh I'm sure I will think of something.
There is a big gecko on the wall staring at me. Time to go try to get him to go outside. I like wildlife, I just don't like sharing the house with it.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:13 AM   #52  

OMG! OMG! I've got a hundred posts to read in the next 20 minutes!!! Hiy'all! Glad to make your aquaintance Gosia Congrats on the birth of your new-born babe...when can you let us see a photo of the happy family? I have to go out now but I will be back! See you later.
teel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:22 AM   #53  
Choose your hard

Shad, here in the states a gecko is a "spokesman" for a popular insurance company. As you are scooting him out the house, don't let him sell you any insurance Geez and I thought it was creepy to run across the occasional bee or spider in the house! Enjoy your warm DRY sunny weekend at home.

Teel, it's great to see you pop in again, if only for a minute.

Gosia, I looked at your profile and saw your website with your pictures on it. Your baby is precious and so are your cat pictures and quilting projects. So what kind of cat breeding do you do?

Shaker, sounds like you have a rather short summer out your way. The thing I like about the South Beach Diet is that it teaches you the GOOD carbs, fats and foods to eat. It's not all just carb intensive like Atkins. I did have a bad sugar binge this week and it lasted for a few days. Evil, just evil. Now I have to detox again.

And how is the Mel-i-day going for you my dear? It's Friday now so it's ok for you to actually be off and entertaining yourself

Gotta run now and get busy, will be back later...
Old 02-13-2004, 10:26 AM   #54  

I forgot. I have a confession.
I got weighed today.
76kg. 12st.
I am SO SO RUBBISH at this losing weight thing.
FAILED. Failed. Failed again.

Old 02-13-2004, 10:39 AM   #55  
Choose your hard

Teel

The scale may be fickle and indeed it is. What healthy things did you do this week? Did you drink your water? Did you make tasty but nutricious meals? Did you fill your lungs with air and move about a bit? And how will you greet the new upcoming week?

C'mon. Give us the scoop.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:22 PM   #56  

Height: 1.73

Hi Ladies, well I have been at work since 6:30am, been awake listeneing to the torrential rain since 5:30am, guess the party tonight will be a bit of a washout. I have a video to watch (yeah I know what about working!!).. nah can do that another day, if they provide the tv I am obliged to use it!!

DH's youth aid trip got postponed so he is sleeping in and so will the kids.. ahh bliss for them.. my turn tomorrow!!! So will hang out here for a while, might see if I can go do the groceries and return later. Teel it is always a bit of a struggle to lose weight or we wouldn't be in here complaining.. you will get it going, I think you have to have the focus as well as the diet plan on track, how easily we can slip back into old habits..

Shad welcome home, nice to hear the family and a few extras were still plodding along, you will enjoy having a day off after all that shamozzle!!! Mel what's the haps at your place today???

I have not actually ever read the Atkins diet Happy, because of the high fat, and to me that just can't be right and although I know people that have followed the plan and lost plenty of weight surely the fat must be bad for your heart??... I am surprised that new fads keep coming in all the time really, we know the output must be more than the input but yet we still keep getting that equation wrong??... best we head back to school then, setup a classroom for us all to hang out in.. whatever happened to that mansion we used to have, perhaps we could use one of those rooms??..

Oh and before I go.. HAPPY VALENTINES ALL DH and I don't celebrate here, guess it helps to be at home not at work.. .. Hey Mel watch out for all your admiriers today, could be fun!!!
shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 04:24 PM   #57  

I don't dare think what MEL will get up to today!!!! Might be a good thing that we are on this side of the pond Shaker. Sad that you are working but hey someone has to do it and as it is raining is there much point in being home and wasting a precious day off? I personally don't celebrate Valentines day, but most of the young guys were busy ordering red roses for the ladylove yesterday. Thing that amazes me about it is that last week I could get long stemmed red roses by the 1/2 dozen for about $10. Young Michael at work yesterday was pleased that he could get a dozen for $120 plus delivery fee of about $19. Highway robbery I call that. The other young guy Brad wouldn't understand Valentine if he fell over him in a pub. And then he would worry about him being gay!!!
I've not actually read all the Atkins thing either, but I'm with Shaker about the fat content. I'll stick to my portion control and not overdo anything I think!! Not I might add that it seems to be working at the moment, since I weighed myself this morning and although the shape seems to be more or less the same, I appear to have gained weight again. This is getting ridiculous. I guess it could be the weights doing it, but that should also be burning off the odd calorie or two. I think it was Raventoy and/or Rochemist who said that the weight loss stalled with weights.
Maybe I'll give it another month or so and then switch to cardio instead of weights and cardio if nothing happens. With the exercise I am doing, surely I should be losing something!!!!
I know that if the shape is okay, then maybe the weight doesn't matter, but try telling that to the Doctor and the Insurance companies when you go looking for health programs - hey doc, forget that I weigh 76kg, look at the muscles in the arms and legs!!!! doesn't work too well.
Whinge over, and those scales can find anything different than 76kg anyway so I'll go away and get on with the day.
Has MEL been abducted by a senior cit by any chance??? Oh and I had best go see Gosia's webpage instead of pushing her into putting pics up here.

Last edited by Shad; 02-13-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:30 PM   #58  

Good morning Shad...how's the weather in Aussie-land this morning??Your egg is illuminated so I know you are there! I see we have a new smilie to play with!!
I have had an interesting day Started off with an appointment with the pain clinic consultant who saw me in hospital before Christmas. He didn't seem too bothered what is causing the chest pain, more bothered about upping the pills to deal with the pain. He also aggreed to increase the pain killers I take for my back, even though I am on the highest dose the Docs are licensed to use over here, apparently they can ignore that!!! So he will write to my G.P. about all of the above.
And then I saw my G.P. Told him all the info he will get in due course and told him my back is totally abysmal and I am struggling with my mood. He increased the pills they are using as sleeping pills as I have lost the whole night sleep I was getting on them. I hoped I was not getting addicted to them but found out one night recently that I do still need them. I thought I had taken it but woke up 03:20hrs and did not get back to sleep. I found the pill in the morning hiding on a kitchen worktop!!! That'll teach me to keep a clean & tidy kitchen
And then I cried. Sat there with tears silently streaming down my cheeks. Good job I don't wear make-up!
Do you remember a few weeks ago I found out that my Benefits Welfare Rights Officer had failed to request a Statement Of Reasons from the tribunal? As to why I only got a 3 year award and low rate personal care. Well he drafted out a letter for me to use requesting a statement. I got the reply recently. Apparently if you request this within one month of the tribunal there is no problem. After three months you haven't got a you-know-what chance. Between 1 and 3 months the chairman has the right to decide whether or not to grant the request. In this case "the request has been refused". Great. Not. The B.W.R.O. was SO apologetic and he wants me to write and request a "superseeded appeal". This is so the whole case can be re-opened and we go to tribunal all over again. I don't know if I can face this again.

Happy thank you for your positive thoughts . YES I did drink litres of water and had a few good OP meals. I really didn't think I had put on again this week. Seems like my scales are related to Shad's ....we seem to be the same weight!!
Shad the price of those Valentines Day roses is daylight robbery!My goodnight!!! I read some interesting news on Dr. Atkins the other day in a newspaper. I thought I had posted here about it but must have been on the U.K. thread. Apparently Dr. Atkins weighed 18stone at time of death. He had cardiomyopathy caused by congestive heart failure, had suffered two heart attacks in his life and a couple of strokes. It seems that his dietary advice was not as it all seemed after all. So I am led to think very carefully about this "miracle diet". The sceptics may have been right after all. So girls, please think carefully. The SBD does seem rather gentler on the system. I saw on one programme that the SBD is America's diet for this year! "Atkins diet is last years diet" someone said!!!!!
Shaker....has it stopped raining yet? Thanks for the memory of our mansion! Made me giggle.
What no Melody today? Must be enjoying her Meliday too much
No doubt we shall hear what she has been up to tomorrow!!!

Night night chicks. Be good and if you are not so good make sure you tell all, he he he!!
Old 02-14-2004, 01:50 AM   #59  
Choose your hard

The Atkins Diet has been around for about 30 years. I remember when it came out in the 70's. It was touted as a "man" diet because of all the meat and fats allowed on it. I also saw the recent article that Teel is referring to. I think Atkins became popular again because somehow the concept of insulin resistance popped up which is really fueling the Atkins, SBD and Sugar Busters movements. I had discussed Atkins with my endocrinologist last year under the topic of insulin resistance. He said they don't understand exactly why but that type of diet and the foods on it react opposite of what you'd think - it actually lowers cholesterol levels in people. I think it has something to do with changing the blood chemistry. I bought the book but decided it was not a plan I could deal with. After so many years of low fat, the idea of eating mayo and butter and cream just doesn't click with me. And I can't do without fruit either. Or the sugar free substitutes the plan requires. Since I had my gall bladder out 10 years ago, fatty foods give me acid reflux too. Actually, it's interesting. Once you do away with something - be it sugar or fats and then you have some of it, you really notice how your body says don't like this in me. I guess we just build up a tolerance after a while that we don't notice. I've been paying alot of attention to how I feel after I eat different things and that's really helped me with a plan. The thing I like about SBD is that no food group is eliminated. At worst some foods are on the "eat them rarely, avoid mostly" list. And the things you do eat, fresh fruit and veggies (albeit more fiberous ones), whole grains, fish and poultry are the more natural things I feel are more healthy choices anyway. And you are right Shaker, it all comes down to what goes in has to be less than what is expended. I'm just starting to realize after all these years that some people react to food differently. Low carb seems to work better for me than LF on WW. Ok, 'nuff said about that.

Wasn't the mansion Annie's? Or was that one of our new threads? I seem to remember lots of windows (Annie's) and Shaker in charge of the smoothie cart by the pool. Teel I liked your closing line (about being good) so much I may ask if I can use that for my next signature.

Shad, you might want to up your food a bit - add in an extra protein snack. I think I heard some of the ladies who started weight lifting taking about how the weight stalled when they were working out. Turned out they needed a bit more calories to send the scale back downward again. I usually have a morning snack, especially because I've been eating breakfast with DH at 6am - around 10am I'm getting hungry. But I often forget the afternoon snack as I am so engrossed in my work I know that's not good as you are supposed to keep a regular stream of food to keep the blood sugars and metabolism constant. Gee whiz, now I get the breakfast in and forget the snacks. Can I ever stay on plan?

Yes, it's ridiculous how they jack the price of flowers up for Valentine's Day. DH sent me a beautiful purple bouquet today. However the flowers are old. The pink roses are brown at the edges and curling and the other flowers are wilting. They also did not send the kissing teddy bears he paid for (DH gets sentimental on Valentine's day and our wedding anniversary). He was steaming when he got home and saw it. Fired off a nasty gram to the flower place. He ordered them online - we've used this place before. They contract with local florists and we've always heard compliments from the people we've sent flowers to. I told him to call the local florist where this came from to complain but he decided to go to the big guys. We'll see what happens.

Teel, I think your BRWO should file the appeal on your behalf, appear in tribunal on your behalf and wear a sign that says I messed up. This is not cutting off your benefits, correct? Only that you are now forced to accept less than what you were entitled to? Where's my big club and stomping boots? Grrrr....

Will be a busy, but enjoyable weekend. Have to go buy my books at school tomorrow - new class starts on Monday. I also need to get the oil changed in the car and have the squeeky brakes checked. We are going to dinner Saturday night, possibly some friends may join us. And Sunday will be a catch up housework day. Hope you all have a lovely weekend.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:59 AM   #60  

Quote:
Originally Posted by teel
Be good and if you are not so good make sure you tell all, he he he!!
Help yourself, m'dear!! Glad it caused a smile! It is a really horrible damp grey day here for St. Valentine's Day. Not a day for romancing one's beloved, at all! I am fair worn out today. Feel very tired after another rubbish nights sleep. However, our church is having a "Valentine Activity Day"...well 2 hours actually! and I have volunteered to help on one of the craft tables. I thought I could manage the Icing Of The Valentine's biscuits. Should be fun, and very messy!!! Don't quite know why I had a shower and washed my hair before the event, he he he!! I had a OP breakfast this morning. Rice Crispies and semi-skimmed milk. Probably more that 1 oz, though. I plan for lunch to have scrambled egg and un-marged toast and I am not sure what for dinner yet. If I am organised I will defrost a chicken breast and stir fry it with peppers, mushrooms and noodles. That'll be day 1 over and done with. Back on plan. One day at a time. PLod plod
baby crawl.