Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 10:14 AM   #91  
Student of the Hoof

Hi Howdy Hey Hows it going today ladies??

Hippy - I'm so glad the weather was good for you, too! Fishing... I love to fish, and I love to eat fish. I don't really like killing them, though. I'm such a dweeb. Congrats on your first catch! That is so cool. Gary is diabetic? I didn't know that... has he been controlling it with diet? Or is he on meds? It certainly isn't anything to play around with, you're right. And it sure does seem like you're getting some rather pointed suggestions to start eating healthy, doesn't it?? I know I started on this journey because of my daughter, really. She's the one who got me started when I overheard her in front of the mirror telling herself how FAT she was, how terribly FAT and UGLY. It broke my heart, and I realized I'd been a large part of that mentality. That's when I said enough was enough. It hasn't been an overnight process, that's for darn sure. But it is happening over time. I hope Gary pays attention this time.

Happy - I'm sorry you had such a rotten experience with riding. It can be dangerous, there's no doubt about it. I think the love of it has to override common sense sometimes. Ok, the next time you even THINK of eating something like McDonald's, remember what that tummy felt like and pop into the store for a salad from the deli or something like that instead!! Honestly, I can't stand fast food hamburgers, they really make me ill. Once in a while I can do the chicken sandwiches. You've mentioned foot issues before, right Happy? Isn't that one of the reasons the treadmill was kind of pushed to the side?

Today was pretty good. I'm still only "running" a half mile at a time regularly. But, my walking interval speed has increased a lot, and I run/walk intervals of a tenth of a mile for the rest of the 2 miles, and my run speed during those intervals is pushing 5mph now. So I made good time this morning and did my 2 miles in 28:30. That's 27 seconds faster than my best time. I'm going to wait till I can do 2 miles in 25 minutes, then I think add a half mile. I was going to add a mile, but I think that's overambitious right now, and I really (really!) don't want to injure myself this time. Amazing.

I am going to need to pick up some protein powder, it looks like. I just don't have time in the morning (or the desire, really) to eat eggs before I leave the house. But I can't cook eggs at work and frankly I detest boiled eggs, so... I eat oatmeal. Which is not a bad thing. But I need to get up to at least 35% protein, and I'm not getting there. Even eating decent sized portions of lean meat at lunch and dinner doesn't balance it all out, sooo... I think scoop of protein powder in the mornings mixed into my oatmeal would do just fine. I'll pick up some next payday and start that.

I hope the weather isn't too bad tonight... of course it started raining again today and the temperature is dropping. Machine and I are supposed to have our lesson tonight.. *sigh* If it's not raining, we'll go. I'm tired of putting them off.

Hope everyone's day is going well!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:51 AM   #92  
Student of the Hoof

ack ack ack.. crossposting!

Hi Lucky!!

Hippy - I think my kids keep me young.. plus you know.. I'm happier now than I ever was in my 20s or 30s. Maybe I'm just a late bloomer, but I LIKE being in my 40s. Now if I could just STAY in my 40s for oh.. another 30 years or so. Go You on getting in the exercise and water!!

Ok, really I have to do some work now. Really.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:04 PM   #93  

Just popping in for a minute. I feel good today!! The sun has come out, I have been OP all day, my meal planning went well!! I just feel good, I feel motivated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raven, you made an excellent point for me! First off, my heart goes out to your daughter. Bless her heart, I hope she becomes happy with the way she looks. I had not really thought about programming Jordan to be a junk food junkie. The thought had entered my mind about him possibly getting diabetes but I guess I just didn't connect the two...DUH!!!!! Believe it or not I worry about the crap he eats at school. When I was a kid there was 1 lunch line and it had the veggies and so on. There are about 5 lines at Jordan's school...loaded with pizza, cheese sticks, burgers. They also offer fruit and salad but what normal kid is going to choose healty food? I can control 2 of his meals a day plus snacks so that is what I will do.

Kathy, missed your post this morning. Are you fired up girl??? Ready to get into that new dress, smaller jeans, sexy nighties, how about that pierced belly button Look at all of these wonderful things you have to look forward to!!!!

Talk to you wonderful people later!!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:28 AM   #94  

Hey! Where is everyone? Yesterday was very successful for me. I am now in the process of trying to find new recipes so I can be a little more creative in cooking. Right now I just throw something together, slap it on the table and say it's ready! I don't like new recipes because we usually don't like it or when I read the ingredients I don't have any idea what some of them are Oh well, we gotta do what we gotta do, right?

Gary has been a diabetic for about 10 years. He has been on a diet rollercoaster ever since we found out. I have made several attempts to feed him in a good way but for him it's very stressful. When I hand him a half cup of this and that sometimes it doesn't go over very well A half cup of pudding for dessert is a joke to him! He gets discouraged, I get upset and when I find candy wrappers in his lunch bucket I woder why I'm trying so hard when he's cheating. I am trying the SB plan for him this time instead of the diabetic plan. I'm relying on the protein to help fill him up. He has been a little grumpy but I'm sure it will get better with time. Sunday his sugar was 371, yesterday it was 217. Still a long way to go to get it to 120 but we are making progress. I hope he starts to feel so much better that he will stick to it this time.

It's another sunny day. Temp is a little cool but it will be in the 60's this weekend. I can't wait. I'm going to fire up the grill and try some grilled squash. I hear it's good but I have no idea how to season it or anything so I will have to check into that.

Better get that walk in. Talk to you later
Old 02-25-2004, 10:07 AM   #95  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good Morning Ladies!
The sun is shining and the temps are slowly creeping upwards. Most of the snow is gone and it's supposed to get to 50 on Saturday. Whoo hoo, Spring's a comin'. Last night I was just talking with the hubby about can't wait until grilling time comes around.

Hippy, to marinate and season veggies for grilling you can take the easy route and just pour some bottled Italian Dressing into a zip lock bag, add the veggies cut into thick chunks and let it sit in the refrigerator for about an hour. Or... 1/3 cup olive or cooking oil, 1 tsp dried basil, 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/8 tsp dry mustard, 1/8 tsp paprika and 1 clove minced garlic. Throw it all in a zip lock bag with the sliced veggies, give a few shakes and let it sit for 1/2 hour. As you're grilling, brush the veggies with the mixture. Because of the oil, the vegetables will have a tendency to flare at times so be careful - I love grilled veggies. I love summer cooking - so much tastier and easier to put together a dinner.

Sounds like you're helping with Gary's sugar. It really is hard getting used to smaller portions and for some reason, I too find that I'm a little hungrier with the SBD. Yesterday I tried the South Beach Surprise Mashed Potatoes - cook cauliflower until soft, mix in food processor (I used my blender) with a dash of salt and pepper, some LF margarine, a dash of FF half and half. It wasn't bad but it did stink like cauliflower. I was actually surprised at the results. Kind of like thin mashed potatoes. I had my husband try them and I thought he was going to rip his tongue out - guess if you really hate cauliflower you can taste it more than I could. He thought I had blended mashed potatoes and brocolli together. One head of cauliflower makes about 2 cups of this stuff. I guess it's ok if you are just dying for potatoes but it does make you quite gassy

Well today starts Lent. I always give up something for the duration. Was thinking about Coca Cola or chocolate - the obvious choices. But I gave those up last year and now they are just occasional treats (and binge triggers). I wanted something a bit more challenging. So I have decided that I am going to cut down to only 1/2 a pack of cigs for the next 6 weeks. That will be difficult as I use smoking as an excuse for a mini break or to think. But I'm looking at it as a prelude to quiting altogether. I believe I am far more addicted to the habit than to the nicotine itself. And because I'm doing this for Lent, there will be a stronger than usual incentive to "be good". Going to do a WATP tape at lunch and a Pilates session before dinner tonight. Yes Raven, I did have to give up the treadmill for a time last year when the plantar faciatis (sp?) kicked in after my summer vacation. But with the orthotics and the stretching exercises I must do now, that's helped it settle down. I stopped using the treadmill last fall after the renovated our basement. Dust is the treadmill's worst enemy and all that fine dust from sanding drywall didn't allow me to use it. There's a part of the ceiling the contractors didn't finish because it was more remodeling for us than the original work so my husband has been working slowly to finish it which means continuous dust. He hasn't done anything more since the beginning of the year so I'm thinking I just do one last cleanup and get rolling. I miss the treadmill. Might even go for a short lunchtime walk today too.

Time to get rolling. Everyone have a SUPER day!
Old 02-25-2004, 03:21 PM   #96  
Student of the Hoof

Blearg. I have felt out of sorts all day today - I think it's because this morning I had to take Nick out to the stables to work, and that takes me about 40 minutes, then it's an hour and a half drive from there to work. Not much time for anything else at all, including working out. So I didn't run this morning and my body is so used to it in the mornings now that I feel .. bleh. Weird. Or maybe I'm coming down with something.

They're calling for snow again tonight and tomorrow. Maybe I'll get off work? EVERYTHING shuts down here if they see a flake or two. I can hope.

Hippy - Isn't it frustrating when you're confronted with something like a loved one who won't address a serious issue like that? It makes me realize a little more that MY issues with weight might be just as important to those who love me. And maybe I should take it seriously. Thank you for sharing the stuff about Gary... I think it made me realize that. I already know I don't want to do so much damage to my body because of this weight that when I'm seriously older, I can't get around. I feel sometimes like this is my last chance at really stopping the damage, maybe even reversing a lot of it. I got really angry with my daughter today. Now, mind you, she's not a small girl. She's about 5'6" - 5'7", and she was up to 226 on the scale several months ago. She's VERY .. uhm .. voluptuous (?) if you will, for someone who is only 14 years old. She does NOT look 14, she looks about 17 or 18. And a well developed 17 or 18 at that. But if you really look at her, she still has all this baby pudge all over her, so .. it's really kind of mind twisting. And her muscle mass is major, as is her bone structure. She will never be a "little" girl, no matter how much she weighs. I've been trying to teach her to be proud of her body and it's potential. But you know.. she knows she needs to lose weight. Even if she has a healthy idea of what that weight might be (she has no desire to be "skinny"), she has started to not eat to lose weight. I've been watching her so carefully, because I was so afraid this was coming. I told her this morning to pack a lunch for her day out at the stables. Do you know what she put in that bag? A bottle of calorie free flavored water and an APPLE! *shriek* ONE APPLE!!! *beats head against desk* I admit I kind of lost my temper just a little bit, but it was out of pure frustration and love for this kid, you know? So I went in there while she was taking her shower and tried so hard to get her to understand that she can NOT starve herself, and I just kept saying the same things I've been saying. And then I fixed her a healthy choice ham sandwich on whole wheat bread with lettuce and 1 oz. of chips and a thingie of yogurt. Along with that lonely little apple. As intelligent as she is, she's still doing what I did so many times. I guess all I can do is just keep trying to be a positive role model and eating my healthy food and still lose weight and hope it sinks in with her.

Sorry to vent like that... it is scary to me, though. I love my girl so much, and being a teenager is so hard. *sigh* She's dropped a lot of weight, and I have to admit I'm worried about her.

Happy - I hope you can get the treadmill out and enjoy some time on it without the dust gumming it up! I can't imagine breathing that stuff would be too good for you either. Those grilled veggies sound fantastic.. I think I'm going to try those out here in the next couple weeks. I may have to use the broiler for now, but that sounds really yummy.

Back to work. Hope everyone is having a good day!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:45 PM   #97  
Choose your hard

Two things I have learned on this journey are:
1) I never thought I was a creature of habit - I'd classify myself as more of a "drifter" dealing with things as I encountered them. But I have found that when it comes to weight loss, I HAVE to be disciplined and I need to follow a routine. Any deviance and I'm off track. So I can really relate today to what you said Raven about feeling out of sorts because you weren't able to get your morning workout in. Kinda like me eating oatmeal in the morning. When I have oatmeal for some reason it keeps me in a good mindset and I'm far more likely to eat correctly for the rest of the day. Also, as much as I detest getting up in the morning, I was doing better when I got up at 6. My husband has been having problems sleeping lately so he's been sleeping until 7 and waking me then. I have just enough time to come out of the coma and get ready for work - no time for exercise which also throws me off. So... is Wednesday the only day Nickie has to be to the stables early? If so, maybe that can be your "off day". Or while you are sitting in the car, do some isometric exercises at the wheel - WHILE you are waiting for the stop light to change. There's a reverse sit up where you sit straight and tall and try to pull your navel in to touch your backbone and hold it in. Sounds goofy but it actually helps. Same with tightening your arms and doing bicep curls. Can you sneak in a fast 15 minute walk around the parking lot at lunchtime? Or a few sets of stairs? I know you prefer the formal workout routine where you push yourself but if you're feeling out of sorts because you didn't get your body moving, maybe you can at least get a tiny sense of doing SOMETHING as an alternative.

2) The second thing I learned is that I regret that we were taught all sorts of things about food except the most important thing - It's fuel for your body. We brush our teeth not because we like toothpaste but to keep them clean and our breath fresh. We wash our face so we don't get a shiny, oily, pimply face. There's a single purpose to everything except when it comes to eating. And it's so hard to teach yourself new habits. I'm trying to remember what it was like when I was Nickie's age. The drive to lose weight and do silly things far overrode what I put in my mouth. And too, at her age you don't exactly have alot of experience in food planning. And I think they are far more likely to just say - hey, I'm not hungry. But good for you for trying to teach her a better way. It's just unfortunate that it takes so long for us kids to realize what moms and the adults were trying to tell us all along. And I can't exactly remember when it was that I started to realize what they were telling us was the truth. Probably about the time I found myself telling other younger people the same things

Was watching the news tonight - they were interviewing people at the movies about the Passion movie. In Atlanta they were talking about the crowds being down because sleet was forecast. Hope you don't get one of your famous ice storms.

Well I have had a jumbly day myself. I have a lot of things to do and I keep looking at them all at once and flitting from thing to thing without completing anything. And that's bad. So I'm posting early, I wil do the Fly Lady 15 minutes on a timer task, take care of as much as I can and in bed by 11:30 so I can get up earlier and have a good start to the day, including my food plan for tomorrow which I will write out tonight.

It's Thursday, my favorite day of the week. Have a good one!

Last edited by happy2bme; 02-25-2004 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:08 PM   #98  
Choose your hard

So where is everyone today? Hope it's because you are busy and active and not because we are all in a slump. I am trying VERY hard to get myself back on track again. So far so good today. Would be nicer if this stuff were all automatic thinking with no distractions or temptations. But life is not like that. **sigh **
Old 02-26-2004, 03:16 PM   #99  

Just a quick post!

Happy, I'm not in a slump, that's why I don't have alot of time to post right now, busy, busy, busy. Don't give up on yourself. I too have to have discipline on eating and exercising. Today I am refusing to sit on my butt. I'm cleaning, deep cleaning and so on. Anything to be up and about.

Raven, hope you are feeling better today.

Catch up with you in the morning!
Old 02-26-2004, 03:46 PM   #100  
Student of the Hoof

I had a snow day! I woke up at 4 in the morning to snow all over the place and still falling. Called my boss at 6:30, he said it was worse over there. By that time I'd cleaned the grill, done the dishes, scrubbed out the microwave, had coffee and breakfast, and was still freezing. I checked my e-mail, then went and took a nap. Woke up and was feeling sorry for myself because it was freezing and I was bored and yada yada. Posted in my journal, several chickies kicked my butt, and I hit the treadmill for an hour. Four miles. I feel much better!

My pony got something in his eye yesterday. It's red and swollen. I put ointment in it last night, I need to call Rosa today and make sure he's doing better. He has this habit of rolling, and the nastier the mess he can find to roll in, the happier he is. And with all the rain we've been getting, the area up by the gate (of course where most of the manure is, too) is turning into a muck pit about 4 inches deep. Even if Jeff runs the spreader over it when it dries out enough, it's still a mess. I figure he rolled in that (he was mega filthy) and probably got some manure/muck in his eye.

I'm still OP with food, though today was hard. I felt this huge desire to snuggle under a blanket on the couch with warm comfort food. But I didn't. I need to get more water going, but I have time, and I am getting there. The scale is being evil and mean to me. The pound and a half I dropped over the last week were back today. *sigh* Trying to not be discouraged, I know all the rhetoric. I just need to keep going.

Happy - You're so right. Habit and routine are so essential for me to do this. I didn't really realize that until yesterday. I mean.. I guess I did, but not to what extent. The thing with me is that no one ever did teach me anything about food. Other than EAT! My mom was an excellent cook - but ... holy cow, the calories. Of course, when I was under about 10 years old, we were all running around so much (the whole family) that we never gained weight. Then we moved into a larger town, and became largely sedentary, but still ate like we had when we lived out in the sticks. I really think none of us ever even connected the two things.. weight gain and eating like we used to when we were actually exercising so much. At least I can try to bring actual knowledge into my daughter's relationship with food, with her body, with society as a whole. I loved my mother dearly, don't get me wrong, but she was raised in a time and in a place (on a farm) where the pure physical labor of living burned everything they could possibly eat, and she knew no other way of eating or cooking. Now we have to create that physical labor. That's one of the reasons I love dumping my daughter off at the stables. At least one or two days out of the week, that girl has to WORK. It's good for her, physically, mentally, emotionally. It builds character.

Hippy - Good girl for moving! Move, move, move!! Come clean my house when your done!?

Ok, I need to haul my stinky sweaty body off to the shower. Lets stay OP, chickies!
Old 02-27-2004, 06:22 AM   #101  
Student of the Hoof

Ok... but today I'm down that pound and a half PLUS another half pound. I'm now officially one half pound BELOW my 5 pound goal for February. Let's see if it stays that way! *yawn* Off to get my coffee and do my workout. Good Morning everyone!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:30 AM   #102  

What a beautiful sunny day!! I do have to have I'm looking forward to Spring.

Raven, so glad to hear that you are feeling better and resisted the warm blanket and warm comfort food. I would have hated for you to see the real me if you got in a slump and I had to get on your butt I was so glad to hear that you fixed your daughter a healthy lunch. I could not eat just an apple and not be starving. I'm sure you are a perfect role model and she will learn from what she sees. I had forgot to answer all of what you asked about Gary. He takes meds for his diabetes. 2 different kinds of pills but he has never helped them work. The doc said if he would eat right and lose some weight he probably could go off the meds. I get frustrated at him for not taking care of himself but I can't fuss to much because I haven't taken care of myself either. I do have to say I am very proud of him. He is eating alot better and his sugar is dropping. Now the big challenge will be to keep him going. I'm thinking when he gets to the point that he just has to have something I will let him have it and move on from there. Gary is not one to be deprived and is alot like me and will eat more of a bad thing if he is told he can't have it. It's a viscious cycle!

Happy, stupid question time What kind of veggies do you grill? I can only think of squash. I'm going to grill some this weekend and am so hopeing we like it. I don't like it fried but I am sure it tastes totally different grilled. I am anxious to try some new things so that maybe this time we can do this without going through the "I'm so burnt out on eating the same old thing syndrome"!

I stayed busy all day yesterday. I was rather impressed with myself! It is so easy to sit and watch tv or sit and scrapbook or sit and talk on the phone! I have got to stop sitting and start moving!! I ate well and kept moving until 7 last night so I feel like I actually accomplished something!

Off to the bank and grocery today. Must go buy some wonderfully fresh veggies!! MMMMMMMM.... Surely I can make myself like something green!

Talk to you girls later!
Old 02-27-2004, 10:16 AM   #103  
Choose your hard

Hellllooooo ladies!
We had a hard frost this morning but tomorrow and Sunday it's supposed to be 50. can't wait! The rain that was forecast on Sunday got pushed to Monday so that will make for a gorgeous weekend. I really NEED that shot of fresh warm spring air to feel energized.

Big congrats Raven for meeting and breaking your stealth goal for the month!!!! I lost 1 pound this week and finished out the month 1 pound over what I had hoped for a stealth goal. But it shows that you get out of it what you put into it.

Congrats to you too Hippy for tackling that house cleaning. Sometimes it's hard to get motivated to do the big jobs but when it's done things look sooooo good when everything's neat and tidy.

What veggies can you grill? You need the more "solid" ones. Yellow squash, carrots, onion slices, eggplant, zucchini, peppers - red, green, yellow, orange, purple. Portebello mushrooms are easier to handle (turn) than the regular ones. You can also grill asparagus and thick tomato slices. You can cut them into chunks and put them on a skewer like kabobs which makes them easier to turn while you're cooking them. Or you can get one of those "basket" gizmos. I like them right on the grill grates so they get those brown grill lines on them. For asparagus, chose the thicker stalks as the thin ones cook too quick and have a tendency to burn. I cut the peppers into at least 1 inch wide strips. Squash, zuchinni and eggplant into 3/4 inch slices (lengthwise). Carrots also lengthwise but I do those about 1/4 inch slices because they are the firmest and take the longest to soften up. Tomatoes are kind of tough because you need a large, really firm tomato because the heat makes them sort of mushy. For everything but tomatoes, I use the olive oil and spices "marinade". Tomatoes I cut into 1 inch thick slices or just cut a smaller tomato in half - brush with olive oil, put on a hot grill to get the grill marks and then sprinkle some basil, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper if desired on them once you remove them from the grill. I did try cherry tomatoes on the kabobs but found no matter how firm they are, they come out mushy. I will warn you - it takes a couple of tries to figure out a method of cooking - some veggies cook faster than others depending on the thickness and water content. Asparagus takes about 2 minutes on each side, the others take about 5 minutes or so depending on the heat of the grill. Count on losing some of them through the grill grates as you learn how to grab and turn them Don't give up, experiment and after a couple of shots you'll be an expert. And they are soooo yummy! I often make way too much for a single serving - my husband will only eat the peppers - so I store the rest in the refrigerator and nuke them for later meals. Enjoy!

I'm feeling pumped again - lots planned as far as housework and homework but I also intend to get out and enjoy some of this early spring weather this weekend. Happy Friday!!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 11:20 AM   #104  
Student of the Hoof

Hey chickies

I made it into work today.. still snow over here, but none on the roads. I have to say that day off yesterday was reallllly nice. I had my down moments - boredom and comfort eating were calling me in a huge way. I'm not used to just .. not doing anything. I couldn't leave the house, which is what I usually do on days off. I could have done housework, but that just was SO uninviting. So I'm really proud of myself for staying OP and working out. And of course, as I posted, I saw my reward today. I'd been getting discouraged with the scale, as I posted earlier. I know I shouldn't but it's bloody hard not to. I tried putting the scale away, but without that constant reminder, I tend to lose accountability and wander off plan. But really, I think I'm doing ok keeping a handle on the logic, and not letting the emotional bumps of scale numbers affect me too badly.

Meeting this goal has put me right where I was when I fell off the wagon so badly last year. I think there was a part of me that believed I'd never get back to this point again. But I did. And I really am beginning to believe in myself, and feel like I have the honest power to keep going. I know I'm not perfect by any means, and I will forgive myself for any slips along the way, but I pray that I can continue this journey and just stay on that 5 pounds a month. If I can, by the time I hit my birthday in October, I could be into the 140s. Not by much, granted, but I might actually be able to pull that off. How incredible would THAT be!??

Ok, well .. one day at a time, I need not get ahead of myself. I still have a few days left in this month, we'll see what happens. Monday's weigh in constitutes the official start of my next month's attempt at another 5 pounds, and the start of a new thread for us all. Lets make this weekend count, chickies!!

Happy - Way to GO on getting that motivation back!! And for losing the pound! Each one counts!

Hippy - Excellent going, girl. Get more veggies in your diet, they fill you up without using up a lot of calories or points or whatever you might be counting.

Spring is coming, I can feel the energy oozing out of my monitor from you guys. March promises to be a great month for us!!!
Old 02-28-2004, 02:01 AM   #105  
Choose your hard

Quick post for now. It's supposed to be a wonderfully warm weekend - near 50 which believe me is warm. We should get rid of the last of the snow which primes us for our usual freak March blizzard - tho sounds like you got it instead Raven. But I can't wait to get outside and get a nice walk in the fresh air. Was thinking of going to the zoo but there will be billions of people there - the whole city will be out tomorrow. You can tell us zombie cabin fever snow bunnies!

Next Friday is my wedding anniversary - #27. We are planning on going to our favorite seafood restaurant for a nice meal including a glass or two of wine and splitting a dessert. So I want you to nag me every day - Happy are you being good? I want to be especially strict so I can really enjoy the evening guilt free.

Off to bed now, want to get an early start on the day. Hope you all have a fabulous weekend!
Closed Thread