Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #31  

Default Short weekend

Back to work today. One day weekends are simply too short.

I didn't get any exercising in this morning but I did do some stretching exercises for about 15 minutes.

When I got home from work today I rode my stationary bike for 30 minutes, then I did 2 miles of the WATP tape.

Brenda passed away on Saturday, and so did Rita's father. Rita is the woman who is going to start exercising with me. I hadn't been able to get ahold of her and found out today it was because she was out of town at her parents house.
Brenda's visitation is tomorrow and the funeral is Wednesday.

I have to get up at 3:30 AM tomorrow to be to work by 5 AM, then I have to go to the visitation for Brenda at 5 PM, then my little 5-year old grandson is in a program called "winter sing" at 7 PM, so tomorrow is going to be a long day for me. I may not get a chance to post tomorrow.
I think I'll get my breakfast and lunch for Wednesday ready tonight so all I'll have to do when I get home tomorrow night is shower and go to bed.
I'm suppose to work overtime all week again, but, we'll see how I feel.

I need to go get ready for bed. Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:30 PM   #32  

Willow...I'm so sorry about your friend, Brenda. I thought about your post of her looking around at her visitors, then crying at the good-bye kiss. She must have known she was saying good-bye. I'm sure she care a lot for you, also. You are in my prayers, my friend. If you need to talk privately....pm, or email. I love you, as if I've met you in person...want to help you any way I can.

Katey...glad you enjoyed the pics. I know in a way it wasn't my fault about the trunk. But, I feel I should have kept it with me. The apt we had to move to after the fire was only two rooms & a bath, & one small closet, though. So, we put everything of value in the public storage....thinking it would be safe. My dad's things were also in there...lots of sentimental things. What I think about, though...when Scottie was killed, Gina wouldn't have anything to do with me. She would push me away...at the viewing...the funeral....weeks afterwards. She was even cruel to me...the way she would lash out. I didn't understand. She was young & hurting...figured she just had to take it out on someone. It wasn't until 2 or 3 yrs ago that I finally asked her why. Her dad worked out of town a lot in those years, & I had to say what they could & couldn't do. The twins had just started dating pretty regular....& I had to be the one to say yes or no to everything. DH would come home & get loving & be loving, then leave again. I loved Scottie & was fairly free with their dating...but, still, firm. The night he was killed, there was a hay-ride at church. That's where he was headed. Instead, I showed up to tell her he was dead. She said it was as if I was saying....you can't date him anymore! She said she didn't know why she felt that way....& apologized. I didn't need the apology...just wanted to understand. Of course, she was young & didn't know how to handle her feelings. But, it makes me nervous to tell her about the trunk. She trusted me with it...now, it's gone forever. I don't know if she'll blame me...I do. I can't help it. If I blame myself, then, why shouldn't she blame me. I just can't stand the thought of her turning against me. I know she's older now & more mature. A very beautiful & responsible young woman, with a good head on her shoulders. But, she still has deep feelings on this subject. Just need prayers. I'm going to spend a day with her soon...& tell her.

Hi Sheila....thanks for the compliments. DH was having a great time. He doesn't pose very well for pictures! I've been working on that with him, lately. I think he tightens up, or something. I've just gotten used to it, I guess. Only thing, I seem to look the same in every pic....just different clothes. Thanks also, for the encouragement. Maybe it'll work out.
Sorry about your daughter's sadness. If she gets to come home to talk with mom, it will help her a lot.

Hi Fatpuss, SunnyD, Bluet, Jacquie, Loodie...hope I didn't miss anyone.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:29 AM   #33  

Dear me! Dialogue box on page 2 but not on this, page 3. Kate, I had to log on all over again too. Anyway, just glad we are all back again. Have to get ready for work but will call back tonight.
Have a nice day, everyone.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:14 PM   #34  

Oh, Willow, I'm so sorry about your friend Brenda. I had thought maybe she would get better since she responded to her visitors. You will have a bittersweet evening having to go to calling hours and then to see your grandson. I used to work in an elementary school and got such a kick out of the little ones. It's such a cute age. It sounds like you'll have a very busy and emotional week. Don't let yourself get rundown. And remember we're here for you to share if you need to.

Angel: You'll know when it's the right time to tell Gina about the trunk and the right words will be there for you to comfort her. Since she hasn't brought it up to you maybe she suspects and isn't ready to talk about it just yet. It's so hard to know what people are thinking. You're her mother and I don't think she'll turn against you. It's something that was out of your control and as hard as the loss might be for her I'm sure she'll see that. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Puss: How was work today? I didn't have any trouble getting into the forum tonight so hopefully you won't either. We're in a deep freeze here and it's supposed to just keep getting worse over the next few days. What's the weather like there? If temps are anything over 10 degrees send them our way please!!!

Hi to everyone! Talk to you tomorrow. I want to hop in the shower before Frasier comes on.

Take care,
Kate
Old 01-13-2004, 08:27 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hello to everyone! Just a short one for me.

A balmy 50 or so here in Western Washington. Only about an hour and a half before we leave for the airport to pick up our daughter. What does she want to do first? Go out to dinner, of course!
Old 01-13-2004, 11:30 PM   #36  

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all doing well. I have had a sinus infection for over a week now. The antibiotic I am taking makes me sick to my stomach. There must be a clique here somewhere about the medicine that is to heal you makes you sick, but it eludes me. My brain is not functioning well this week.

Last week was the week from ****. As you are aware from my whinning before Christmas we had that famous lay off at work, and I was feeling over-whelmed trying to keep current with the extra work and keep on top of my own work too. Well the big printer did some sort of pretending to die stint. It took three days and two trips for the printer guy to get the thing functioning normally again. The the main frame computer failed to organize the files in a logical way and several important programs were a mess. It took me until today working with the programer to get things back to normal. What a costly project, especially now when the company is low on funds. All this and everything smells wickedly awful and tastes just about the same. Plus Mr. Magic my friend at work is constantly nagging about one thing or another.

We are suppose to get 3 to 5 inches of snow this evening, with a little more to follow. Then the temperature is suppose to dip quite a bit, I think it is 22 degrees right now. Last week it was down right frigid. some people in our group love winter, they will go un-named, but try as I might I just cannot bring myself to embrace frosty wonderland.

Sheila, so glad for you that DD got to come home for a visit. I hope the weather stays nice for her time at home. Your Dad is a hoot. Thank goodness you don't live here, imagine how long your Dad would last on the porch step in our frigid temps.

Charlotte, lovely pictures, you are staying really slim too. Hurrah for you, or as the saying goes "May the force be with you." One day I hope we will be able to hear you sing, perhaps you will cut a cd just for us.

Willow have you seen that doctor yet? Anxious to hear how you are doing. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I finally got all the Christmas decorations boxed up and stacked in the upstairs hallway. Mabe you could drive over and help me organize my storage room. I need a good organizer right about now. I also need someone to keep me motivated and you are a good motivator.

Puss have you met any more victums on the curb lately? You are so funny. Have you started thinking about spring and your garden yet? What month can you actually get outside and start your spring yard work and your garden? When Sheila gets over to England let her take some pictures of you and your family to share with us and of the landscape around home. I know I will never get to England so some pictures would really be nice. Thanks for the tips on some new authors. I just finished a novel set in 1700 Scotland. It was metioned several time what those boys wear under those kilt's. I never thought it would be nothing, in fact wearing clothes back then did not seem to be a priority. For whatever reason, I am not sure, this knowledge disappoints me.

SunnyD you are a very pretty person, no wonder Joe wants to spend all his time with you. Love your home, I can see who has all the talent on this forum. I suspect you will be getting this snow and cold weather when we are done with it, probably Katey will too.

Well, I am starting to fall asleep while I am typing, guess I had better head to bed, lay my head down and dream of all those Scottish Lords and their drafty castles coming to rescue me on their gallant steeds. "No the cold medication isn't affecting me one bit." Ha!

Take care Katey, Jackie and Loodie....Stay Warm

Bluet
Old 01-14-2004, 02:48 AM   #37  

Morning, everyone. Sorry I didn't get back last night here but I have been drained after work. I have just finished a two day computer-based IT course on Outlook 2000. We had to get 80% to pass and my colleague next to me and myself got 90 and 91% at the end. What kept flummaxing me was the dates set in calendar - yes, it was a USA thing and you do your dates funny - we, of course, do our dates properly like 31/11/02 etc! Of course each time I changed it to 'proper' the computer hacked a point or two off my score with an 'error' message. Could not get my head around that. Today I am hoping to knock off the 'Word' course for windows. It's not an option in work, it must be done even though we all use computers every day and even though I will never need to set a double time zone in successive recurring appointments in my calendar for the UK and Israel or Taipai or Perth...arghhh! Handy if you are a PA to a high flying executive though, I suppose.
Bluet, it is so good to see you here. Our weather is awful right now, three days of storms and freezing. I wouldn't have survived in Scotland centuries ago with the cold, living on the east coast in Aberdeen (N East coast with North Sea blowing in) was bad enough for a year in the 80s.
Kate - I know what you mean about having 'clean plates'. I still can't bear to leave anything, black babies starving in Africa my father always said and I think it's ingrained in me now. Good job I don't live in the States with the portions in Huston. I too have to force myself to aerobics - didn't go last week but have to tonight. I loathe exercise as the girls here will testify. Waste of good reading time to me. Don't get too down when you fall off the wagon, tomorrow is always another day.
Willow - I am so sorry about your friend and sad about your exercise buddy's dad too. HHave you heard back from the Mayo yet about your hip? You put me to shame with your exercise, I have nothing wrong with me yet you don't let it stop you.
Sheila - yay, DD back home!! Hope you have a great girlie time. How's the walking pin cushion? Not too painful,I hope. Glad to hear your dad is still well, bless him.
Angel - the window washer sounds good. I mentioned it to DH. Your photos are lovely, you are a handsome couple, all right.DD got a digital camera from her boyfriend at Xmas and we had a lot of fun with it and they said I could send a photo from it onto here but I didn't like any of me on it - my hair looked reddish on it and it's not.
I am getting a cold sore coming up on my lip this morning - great! That's all I need. Dh said that I was burning up in bed last night but although I have been sneezing for weeks, I don't usually get a cold in the normal sense but I know cold sores are from a herpes virus so maybe I am run down a bit. Do I smell an excuse not to go to aerobics tonight.....trouble is, if you don't go you still have to pay half fees for the missed week.
I had to tell my mother last night on the phone that she was dragging me down. 40 minutes every night of non-stop moaning. I gently told her that I was begining to dread the nightly call to her because she just goes on about her (small) ailments and it's a constant one-way call. I said I didn't mean to be unkind but could she not repeat the same things I have been hearing every night for 2 years and lighten the subject matter a bit. She seemed to take it ok. She uses me as a Samaritan crisis line caller would, and I did that voluntarily for 8 years so I know. DH gets a little steamed up too, after work and dinner I always have to make the call each night and it can sometimes go on for an hour - always the same stuff - and the night's almost over. I know we can't predict what we will be like when we are old but I love my kids too much to put that on them. Also, she is only 70 and in reasonable health - certainly hasn't some of the health problems you girls have here - and the doctors are right, it's lonliness since my dad died, she has no one to boss around anymore, I liken her as a General without any troops. Shame, really, unless you happen to be one of her troops, ha ha!!
Hi to SunnyD and Jacqui and anyone else I may have left out. xx
Old 01-14-2004, 07:33 PM   #38  

They're calling for below zero temps tonight and only a high tomorrow of about 2 or 3. The wind is picking up so wind chill is well below zero Everyone at work today was hoping for a "snow" day tomorrow. I doubt that we'll get it, but you never know. We do have walkers in our district. The city has already closed their schools for tomorrow.

Puss: Great score in your class! Since we have a big university near us we have families from other countries who come to register their children. Some do dates like you do and it always takes me a minute to figure out what they're doing. It must have been a hard conversation to have with your mother. I hope I don't get like that when I'm older. My DH's mother was that way...always complained about something. I have a feeling that it goes along with old age for most people. From Bluet's post I'm guessing that you're a gardener. Me too!! I've already begun looking at the spring catalogs. We started a new perennial bed late last summer and I can't wait to see how it looks and add to it.

Bluet: Sorry to hear that you have a sinus infection. Those things can be nasty. I only had one once and it was very painful. Rough week at work for you. Technology is great when it's working correctly, but oh the problems when it malfunctions. Still I can't see how we ever made it with the mimeograph machines and carbon paper. Wouldn't want to have to go back to that. Our office is moving to another building in February. That will be a huge undertaking since we house many district records and are responsible for IT in the district.

Sheila: 50 degrees...sounds heavenly...can I come visit you??? It must be so nice to have your daughter home. Where did she want to go to dinner? Our older son lives in Colorado and when he comes home the first place we have to head is to a local "dive" to get a garbage plate.

Guess that's it for tonight. Hot shower time and jammies for me. Hi to Willow, Angel, and Sunny!

Take care,
Kate
Old 01-14-2004, 09:35 PM   #39  

Default Tired !!

I was up at 3:30 again this morning, as I will be all week.
Have to be to work at 5 AM.
We won't be working Saturday this week, so I'll have to go in early all week in order to get some extra cash. I wanted to get some ahead because I have to go to Mayo next week, and I know it's going to end up being more than one day.

My little grandsons "winter sing" was so cute! I got there early and got a few seats down in the front, but after I got there, his other grandparents came and saved seats about 7 rows back from me. So, when my son and daughter-in-law got there, they asked me to come back by her parents and grandparents, but I wanted to stay where I was, so my son sat by me. I told him he didn't have to, but he wanted to. Actually, I think it was because it was a better seat.
Anyway, when the kids came out the side door and went onto the stage, we could see Anthony was looking for his Mom and Dad, and he spotted his Dad first and said "Hi Dad!" like he hadn't just seen him a few minutes before. Then he saw me and got a great big grin and hollered "Hi Grandma!!" What a lovey!! Then while he was on stage, every once in a while he would look out at us and give us the thumbs-up sign.
It was a really nice program and all the kids did a superb job. I really enjoyed it. They are so blasted cute!

My foods have been good this week. I haven't exercised like I would prefer to, but this getting up at 3:30 AM makes me pretty tired by the time I get home from work. By the time I make supper, do dishes, get my things ready for work tomorrow and for my breakfast in the morning, it's time to go to bed.

Tomorrow morning is weigh day for me. I peeked this morning, and I hope it says the same thing tomorrow morning as it did today. But, I ate some salty meat and crackers so with my luck I'll hold all the fluids and be up instead of down. Well, ... I'm not going to borrow trouble.

I stopped and got some fresh fruit after work today and I got some bananas, pears, peaches, grapes and a new thing called a pummelo. I haven't tried it yet, but the picture of it in the ad looked like a big green outer layer and then on the inside it looked like pink grapefruit. I DO NOT like grapefruit, but the ad said it tastes different than grapefruit. We'll see. These things are about 5 inches across!

Charlotte, I would think that your daughter would understand. I know how you feel though.
You look lovely in the pics. You're a bag of bones!
What I wouldn't give to be as thin as you are!

Puss, good job on the training grades! You have a much sharper mind than I, I'm afraid.
Nobody had to tell me to clean my plate more than once, I'm afraid! I was just happy to have something on my plate!
Thanks for the condolences on my loss of a friend.
I am sorry now that I went to the funeral home. I had wanted to remember her as she was the last time I saw her, but, I thought people would think I was insensitive if I didn't go.
When I die, I want a closed casket. I think all dead people look like mannequins. I don't care how good a "job" the funeral home does on make up etc, they still look dead. But, it is over and done with now, and life is for the living, and so we will go on.
No, I never heard back from Mayo, but I have an appt. next Monday for my yearly, you know, that time when the Doc says, "put your heels in the stirrups and slide down, ........"
Anyway, I'll ask that one to do something about it. I DO NOT want to be like this for the rest of my life.
I'd like to see those pics of you taken at Christmas time. Of course, I refuse to post any of myself because of my size. I think the most recent one I have was taken 2 or 3 years ago, and I won't be posting any until or unless I can get down to the weight I want to be.

Kate, we had a little dusting of snow here today and very high winds, but temp wise it wasn't too bad.
I used to do a lot of work with flowers etc, and I really enjoy them in the spring and early summer, but then I get tired of the weeding etc.

Sheila, you probably won't even think of reading this for a while, but, I bet you're having a wonderful reunion with your daughter. Enjoy your visit.

Bonnie, sorry to hear of your sinus infection. That is a most painful condition.
I'm wondering who it is that loves winter, .....
Hope things ease up at work for you. There is nothing worse than a stressful work situation.

Hello to Sunny and Jacquie and anyone else reading!

Well, gotta go get things organized for tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:38 PM   #40  

Hi Everyone,

It is cold and blustery today and it snowed most of the day. The streets and roads are very slippery, was glad when I finally got home. I had to stop at Fleet Farm though and pick up a couple extra industrial rugs to collect the snow that everyone is dragging in at work. Got two bags of salt for the sidewalk too I know they are going to be icy tomorrow. The coffe maker was going steadily at work today. I don't know who was drinking all that coffee. I used to be a big decaf coffee drinker until I gave all that stuff up last May. Now I have one cup in the morning and drink only water all day.

Work was a little better today, but I still have a long way to go before I can say I am caught up with all my work. Sinus thing is getting better too. Can't get rid of this weird smell in my nose though. Wonder if I will have to live with it for the rest of my life?

I have several perennial beds in my yard. I am looking forward to SPRING. Easter is my favorite holiday, I am pretty weird aren't I?

Well it is time for bed, I get a pretty good indication when my eyelids start slamming shut. Talk to you all tomorrow.

Bluet
Old 01-15-2004, 09:21 AM   #41  

We are off today!!! Got the call at 6:00 this morning so rolled over and went back to sleep for a few minutes...blissful! When I woke up, I read some of my new Good Housekeeping magazine before getting out of bed. I think I could easily become a lady of leisure

Bluet: Glad to hear that your sinus problem is getting better. I don't think the smell will last. I seem to recall that also. My favorite seasons are spring and fall. Summer can get too humid and winter....brrr! What flowers do you have in your perennial beds? I have one sunny bed and one that gets partial shade. My sunny bed is loaded with fairly big plants so I don't have to do much weeding. The other one we just started late in the summer so I'll have to add lots more things this year. Right now it has Russian Sage, delphineums, dianthus and a few tulip and daffodil bulbs. I also do lots of annuals along my sidewalk.

Willow: What a nice treat to see your grandson's program. I miss the little kindergarteners that I used to work with when I was a teacher's aide. They can really make you smile. Good luck with your weigh-in. The one thing about working so much and being so tired is it probably doesn't give you much time to think about food. I try to buy lots of fruits too, but at this time of year they're so expensive. I'd rather spend the money on that though than "bad" snacks. Pummelo's a new one to me. You'll have to tell us what it's like.

Well, I think I'll play a few computer games then do a little picking up around here. I'm going to venture out to the mall this afternoon to return something and then go to Curves.

Have a great day everyone! Hi all!

Take care,
Kate
Old 01-15-2004, 10:40 AM   #42  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Angry Morning Ladies...

Good Morning Ladies,

WoW! Has it been that long since I have been here??? So sorry ladies! I subscribed to the thread, but wasn't getting the e-mail notices. Now I will...

What a crazy weather morning we are having here! It's 18* and we woke up to 7" of snow and it's still snowing hard out there. I was going to go to my Curves this morning, but decided to stay home with the weather and all. Besides, I have some very fatigued muscles this morning - so a day in between Curves won't hurt. When I go tomorrow it will be my 3x this week and my goal Today is payday, so I will be home paying bill's this morning sound like fun? Not!

Thank you all so much for the very sweet compliments... it is so very nice to hear. I wasn't feeling too well about myself for quite a few weeks after the holidays - felt so sluggish and plump! Now that I am watching my diet again and back into my Curves I am feeling so much better. I so want to get this 50#'s off of me this year. In February I will be 47 and wouldn't mind making this year the year I reach my goal. I don't want to go through another holiday (like this past one) feeling bloated and plump - hating to go places and looking for clothing that fits comfortably. No one else knows I feel this way when I am there (keep on smiling and no one will know), but it's in my mind the whole time instead of just enjoying the company I'm with. I remember when I loved going places and so enjoyed my time with the company I'm with - I so want that again. Yes, SunnyD does have bad days too I just try not to impose it on others too much.

Today I am feeling pretty good, just tired. I am going to enjoy being home and catch up on my laundry, house needs to be vacuumed & bill' need to be paid (& not necessarily in that order).

I am going to TRY to catch up now beginning with the last post first, okay:

Hello BLUET, You stated how you are looking forward to Spring - so here's a picture for you to cheer you up Isn't it pretty! I am so sorry you have been ill with sinus pain - but am glad to hear that you are doing better. It is so common this time of year with all the dry air and with the heat being on so much... do take care of yourself. My hubby has been fighting a head cold and sinus infection now for about 9 or 10 days. He is pretty much over it, but you can still hear it in his voice when he talks. Hope it won't be too much longer before you feel caught up at work - if you don't mind repeating yourself, "What do you do for work, Bluet?" I spent days getting upgrades and such for this cp and feel so much better now that its done. What a relief that is. Now I am hoping to be well-protected from computer the bugs out there. And I also got all my filing done. Now I have to clean this house!

Hi WILLOW, Sounds like you will have such a very tiring week ahead of you with getting up so early! I thought that getting up at 5 was early! I sure do not envy you there. Sounds like you had such a nice time at your grandson's sing last night - aren't they so cute to watch! I use to go to see the nieces and nephews when they were small. I am so sorry to hear of your friend's passing... I didn't know - so hard trying to catch up with all the reading. Forgive me. Hope you are doing okay coping with it. Joe & I both agree with you about a closed casket! Neither one of us wants to have an open casket... just closed with pictures of the good days we had while living! It is a terrible picture that stays with you when you have an open casket. Italians are so funny in that they say the darndest things at funerals - like I hear (allot!) - "don't they look good" or "didn't they do a good job making him or her look so good" --- they are dead! There's no life there and there is a difference... I agree - closed for me too. Feel better

So good to hear that you are still watching your diet and doing so well... So far I am on day 4 of watch closely and am just now beginning to feel good again. I didn't begin at the New Year... I still had too many good foods in the house I hated to just get rid of. But on Monday I threw away anything that was left and began detoxing - those first three days are tough! I hope you have some good news on your weigh-in today!!!! "Luck"

Hi SHEILA, I am so happy for you that you have your DD home... I hope you have a wonderful time catching up with one another and give each other allot of (((Hugs)))! So glad to hear that all is going well with your father - no more scares at the moment. Have fun catching up with DD!!!!

Morning ANGEL, I hope that all is going well for you this week! I see you had some emotional stuff to deal with... hope it all went well for you!!! I sure did enjoy your pictures!!! You are so pretty and looked so nice all dressed up for Christmas! I hope to reach my goal this year and look as good as you do! You have a very handsome hubby too!!! You both make a very nice looking couple!

I have a couple question's for you? How did you hear about that program "Window Washer"? I found the site for it, but am not sure about it. I just finished spending days doing UPGRADES and such and now I am all set and all is going well... but wouldn't mind faster! Anything you could tell me would be helpful. Also, How did you get more then one picture posted in the thumbnail? I cannot get more then one at a time. Thanks!!!

Hi KATE, Sounds like you are getting some chilling weather too!!! Crazy, huh... it started out so mild - so we shudda known it was just going to get worse! We never get through a whole winter without one good storm! We are in the midst of one now... 7" and climbing.

Are you still having problems with logging onto the forum? It took me several tries to get the e-mails on my subscribed threads to go through. But now it seems to be working. I got an e-mail this morning for Willow's post. Finally, everything seems to be flowing again. Do you work, Katey? If so, what do you do - if you don't mind me asking? I don't work - just at home right now and loving it.

And then there's PUSS, So good hearing from you again. Hope that you didn't become too ill! I know so many with head colds and sinus infections with these cold dry temps. My hubby is one trying to get over his.

And as far as the computer classes... I must say that I do like the way we post our dates with Month - Day - Year verses Day - Month - Year as you all do. I think it is just what you get accustomed to... not that one way is better then the other. Good for you on doing so well with your grade - I would love to learn more about computers - I really enjoy them! I admire you very much in doing so well!!!!!! What a wonderful grade. My DSIL took a course and enjoyed it allot and learned so much. Me, I just play and hope I get it right (or figure it out) or do it till I do.

About portions of food... we here in the U.S. are offered wayyy to much food at Fast-food places, Restaurants, etc! Our portions sizes are HUGE! I was just watching a program yesterday taking about how we have lost sight of the 'proper portion' of food! In the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's you would rarely see overweight people... the portions were so much smaller, but we have become a gluten society today abusing the over abundance of foods we have offered us. It's really sad, but so true. All we need to do is get our "balance" back again, but once that pendulum swings so far - it's not easy to get it to slow up and centered again. Well, that's what I am trying to do - watch my portions and only having what I should eat to survive and live a healthy life. Instead of looking at all that's out there offered to us and thinking - it's not fair that I cannot have that & others can. Just a matter of changing the way I think about it all.

I think you handled your mother very well, mine is beginning to repeat herself allot. But my mother lives in Maine and I don't see her or speak to her often - so I just cope. But I have noticed she speaks more about all their ailments and repeats allot more. She & Dad just doesn't do as much as she use to and so there's not much else for her to talk about I guess. It is so hard watching them get older (it's hard watching 'ME' getting older ).

Hello's to JACQUIE & LOODIE!!

I sure do hope I haven't left anyone out...
Make it a better day today ~
Luv's SunnyD

Last edited by SunnyD57; 01-15-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:45 AM   #43  

Smile Yeah!!!

Hi KATEY, I was writing when you posted this morning, so I didn't see yours come in till I finished.

Yeah!!! you get a day off today! So happy for you!!! Enjoy it!!!
Old 01-15-2004, 02:23 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hi, all!

I'm guilty of being a lurker most of this week, but decided I'd better post, too.

Brrrr to all you people in the midwest and east, especially Kate. My dad heard that somewhere in New England it was -100 degrees. My DH checked out the weather online and learned it was at the top of Mt. Washington. But, hey, that still means it's darn cold on the "flatlands." I sure hope all the homeless people got shelter and that the elderly, who like to save money on heating fuel, were okay. Also, when I worked at an animal shelter, it was incredible the number of people who believed that a dog or cat could survive those kinds of temps outside just because they have fur.

Willow, what fun to go to your grandson's school program. He sounds so cute yelling, "Hi, Grandma" and giving you guys the thumbs up sign. That really took me back to when my kids were younger. I used to get all choked up at school programs. It was totally embarassing--I got to I'd have to sit at the back and not be around anyone I knew. I'm so sorry about your friend. That just seemed so fast. I, too, wouldn't want an open casket, and have specified cremation with my ashes comingled with my DH's ashes and then scattered on Mt. Hood in Oregon. We also put in our will that if our kids wanted to put ashes in a cemetary so they could come visit, they could do that as long as they didn't put us anywhere in Idaho. Can you see that I really hated living there?? I'm hoping your weigh-in went as well as you were hoping.

Bluet, you'll have to post a photo of your perennial garden when it's in bloom. I love spring, too, especially when all the daffodils and tulips make their appearance. Last year we went to the Tulip Festival in Mt. Vernon (which grows more tulips than Holland!), and it was incredible. If I hadn't put all my photos on a CD that I can't find now, I'd post a picture of the tulip fields. I still get a weird smell in my nostrils when I'm kind of congested and my sinuses are achy. It's gross, but it does go away so I'm betting yours will, too.

Puss, you need to go back to your strategy of calling right before her favorite television shows come on. That seemed to work last time. I'm glad you were able to say something to her, although, frankly, I bet it won't help. You know, my Dad repeats himself all the time. I mean ALL THE TIME! We've heard the same stories a million times. We've also learned what sets him off so we try to avoid triggering those memories. Sometimes he comes up with new stories, which is nice, and it's interesting that he's now into changing the old stories to add new things or different things, which I'm pretty sure didn't happen. He's so darn funny sometimes--like when he says he was lucky because he could walk to work if it snowed. Say what? We live miles from where he worked--up and down lots of hills. I mentioned that once, but he got rather huffy so we just smile and nod, smile and nod. And I wrote on my List of Things Not To Do When I Get Old that I shouldn't repeat stories. I think it's pretty inevitable, though, so I should start conditioning my kids now that they need to learn the smile and nod technique.

SunnyD, it's nice to have a day where you can just kind of relax and putter around getting housework done. I hope you don't have to go out in the 7" of snow. I love the flower photo! I can't wait until spring either. Down the street, some people had beautiful winter flowering rhododendrons blooming, but when it turned 18 degrees, which is highly unusual here, all the flowers turned brown. So now we're waiting for those first crocuses, which should be in a month, maybe less if the weather stays in the 50 degree range like it is now.

My DD has to work at the recruiter's office today, answering phones and filing. I guess the 15 days of vacation were predicated on her doing work here. She was there yesterday, too. She spends a lot (a LOT!) of time talking on her cell phone to her boyfriend back in Chicago. She went with me to the gym on Wednesday, but slept in this morning. She's been doing a lot of sleeping, snacking, and watching movies, which is pretty normal. This weekend, she and my DH are going to Oregon to visit her sister (my step-daughter) and go to the coast. I'm staying home to "dadsit." I'll get my time alone with her next week when we go to Boise.

Stay warm!
Old 01-15-2004, 03:29 PM   #45  

Angry Here you go Sheila

Good Afternoon SHEILA, I thought you might enjoy this picture... don't know what your favorite color is - so here is a variety for you

Good to hear from you. Well... we had 7" this morning and it's been snowing all day... so I'll bet we have a good 10 inches out there now. I think the storm clouds got stuck over NE Ohio! We are now at 15* & dropping still!!!! Nope, I didn't have to go out in it... still in my PJ's

Boy-O-boy if this picture won't take you away, huh.
Blessing's,
SunnyD
Closed Thread