Old 11-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias — #66

Good Morning! The sun is shining and the ice is supposed to be melting but I don't see any drips yet. It's 28 right now but feels like 20 with the wind. I'd like to know how they figure the "feels like," cold is cold imo! We have several broken smaller branches on the huge maple tree. The oak tree has two bigger branches, with leaves on yet, hanging way down. I hope they don't break but Bob doesn't think they will pop back up. Yesterday was a mix of rain, sleet, and rain that looked like snow with enough to cover the ground. I had a haircut and then physical therapy in the afternoon; Bob had gone to the office but gave me a ride to each. Our not-too-smart gurus made it quite a distance from the parking lot to the main hospital entrance. That wouldn't be quite so bad except stupidity made it a considerable incline which is tricky on ice and snow. Several employees fell last year and a couple of them needed surgery. I have a load of laundry washing and need to do my foot exercises. My next pt is Monday so hope the therapist notices improvement. One, which I have done occasionally, is to drop one foot below the step and I can feel the pull in my calf.

Ceejay, I was so sorry to learn about your nephew’s wife! Some people have such mild symptoms while others suffer more. It’s nice you can get groceries for them and help that way. If your mail or delivery people are anything like here, not very dependable time wise. UPS and Fed Ex have quit ringing the doorbell and we have had packages sit outside overnight because we didn’t see them pulling into the garage. I hope you have yours by now.

”Gma,” poor Jack and poor you! I hope he can get some help from his allergist or somewhere! When Jason had the hives so bad the doctor warned us about watching if there was any swelling in his throat. His was more his knees and ankles and he kept saying they hurt. Your stripes will turn out perfect and no one will be the wiser! Do you always use dark chicken meat?

I need to get busy and dust then vacuum. Lunch will be leftovers from yesterday so that's easy. Have a terrific Tuesday and enjoy.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:09 AM   #2  

Good Morning! It's a gloomy day but no wind so far. I need to run a couple errands for Ian's birthday wish list mostly. He may have to wait until Thanksgiving to unwrap but I will send his card in time if the mail service cooperates. Also need to make a stop for bread and milk so better get going or lunch will be late. Bob has an appointment right after lunch today. Hope you have a terrific Thursday. November is marching right along.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Default on phone

Back from the dentist. I now have a bridge of 3 new teeth. still sensitive. little bit by little bit im getting used to it. this is supposed to be permanent.
I'll be spending the night in Branson tonight, maybe tomorrow night
Jean
I didn't go back and read the post but did they find out what the problem was. is this why you are doing pt?
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #4  

Ceejay, the doctor said I have tight muscles between my heel, ankle, and calf. The pain is around the outside edge not in the middle of my heel. The therapist gave me a couple exercises to do. The harder one is using my toes to “walk” a bath towel in into wrinkles/folds using my toes. The easy one is standing on a step and dropping one heel at a time over the edge. I can really feel the pull on that one. Glad your dental visit went ok for you. My jaws always get tired if I have to sit there for a long time.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:01 AM   #5  

Good morning ladies! Cool here this morning but no rain so far. We are staying in 60’s during later part of the day pretty much. Jack has not had another attack so far. His tongue stayed sore a lot longer after swelling disappeared than usually it does. It is so weird. He’s still snoozing upstairs as he watched football game until late last night. I imagine he’ll be up soon though.

I had to order my Finish jet dry through Amazon. Jack went to three stores and none of them had any. This is so ridiculous. Stores here you can’t get anything you clean with delivered. You have to go into the store and then they don’t have it. We did a grocery pick up a couple days ago and there were 10 items they didn’t have. Jack said he’d go out and get the rest at another store, but why should we have to run all over town to get stuff? It’s ridiculous.

CeeJay: I sure hope the coughing from the virus doesn’t bring on labor for your niece, besides the fact they’s quarantine her if she did and then quarantine the baby once it was born and she’d not get to hold it or anything. What a terrible situation for them. You are great to get groceries for them. Hope your bridge settles in and quits making your mouth uncomfortable. I am making spaghetti for dinner tonight.

Jean: I too missed what you said about your foot. Sure hope the pt helps it get back to normal. During the day, they have guards at the ER entrance and they make you go into a tent first before entering. At least it’s not on a hill with snow and ice. Since Amanda’s dad passed are you and Bob going to start going to Hawaii alone now? We have no idea what’s going to happen with the cruise. They say at the moment they will be doing “fake” cruising a few times with volunteers and employees on board. Then when they have real passengers it will only be about 40% for awhile. That dope they elected wants to close them down again and if they do, that will drive them all into bankruptcy, we’ll lose our money, and no cruise. It will destroy the industry. Nothing we can do but wait, but I want to book my bff’s flight asap, which will probably be available next month. We’d lose that money if they cancel the cruise because the tickets are non refundable. All we can do is wait.

Everyone have a great day!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #6  

Good Evening! We had sunshine and wind today, even made it to 39 and supposed to be warmer tonight. Our yard is full of leaves again, some from the neighbors. It has been a frustrating day and my temper has about had it with robo calls from all over. I don't answer them but do get up to check the caller ID. I take the phone with me after the first couple of calls. Yesterday I was going to run a couple errands and my garage door opener wouldn't open. Bob can get the door up but I cannot. The fix-it guy is from Sioux City but happened to be working in the area so stopped by and the verdict is the opener has died. He will be back with a new one plus new door seals for both doors next week. Today I was going to make a couple email copies and my laptop wouldn't hook up to WiFi. We had the electrical glitch a couple nights ago and Bob spent a long time with a tech getting our iPads and iPhones hooked up again. Well, since the laptop isn't an Apple, I headed to my favorite computer shop. He did his magic and said it was working again. I get home and it wouldn't connect so back I go. He removed things I don't use, said it was working, and I came home. Nope, still wouldn't connect. Bob spent over an hour with tech support again, and finally told her we would take it back to where we bought it. They no longer service personal computers but Bob is going to take it in. I don't like the guy, he acts like I am stupid which I am when it comes to technology. So I picked up the gift shop money and have spent the afternoon trying to match paperwork that I don't have copies for because my boss has been gone with her husband who has cancer. Our church, as well as others, will be closed after Sunday. Other stores are also closing. Our alma mater postponed their football game for tomorrow. I assume Ian's game is still on since we haven't heard otherwise. Positive numbers are rising fast around here.

“Gma,” I hope Jack continues to feel better and not have any more swelling anywhere. That it can happen without warning is scary! I noticed the grocery store shelves were pretty bare in some areas. I guess I am a little paranoid about tp after the shortage at the beginning. Crazy times for sure. I did see the cruise news and thought of you. Bob has said we can go back to Maui by ourselves but it just wouldn’t be the same. We have such good memories from our other trips but yet, it is my happy place. We won’t be going any place next year.

I need to dream up something for supper, nothing sounds good because I'm not hungry. Enjoy your evening and have a nice weekend!
Old 11-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #7  

Default Sunday morning

Just finished church online. According to the announcements at church another cousin, his wife and daughter have covid. I hate this disease.
Good news is that nephews pregnant wife felt better yesterday
Nothing going on with me. Still getting used to the new bridge in my mouth. Spent a couple of days in Branson. Nephew with alcohol problem is doing better. Going to nightly meetings etc. The lady roommate told me he had been clean for 15 days. Think she is working with him. I really like her.

We were under a tornado watch last night. Luckily we had strong winds with some lightening and thunder and heavy rain.

I will do personals later. Tablet is running low on battery
Old 11-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #8  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and we are in a wind advisory for the day. It feels like 24 when the thermometer says 39. Crazy! We've been to church and had no electricity when we got there. The stop lights were out on our way so I wasn't surprised. The lights flickered off and on a few minutes into the service and finally stayed on. Another great sermon; we really like our pastor. Unfortunately, today was the last in person service since we are back in COVID red. Bob and I were just discussing what the Christmas Eve services might be like, if we even have them. The pastor mentioned how hard it is for him to be in a new church and not be able to recognize people because of the masks. He knows Bob and me because we are in and out of the office without a mask. Ian's team won the championship game last night! Jason put a newspaper link on FB and there are three pictures of Ian during plays. He had a super game again. The team was welcomed home with fireworks; that gave me goosebumps to watch even though we weren't there.

Ceejay, good news about your nephew’s wife feeling better. I’m glad your other nephew seems to be doing better. It’s nice he has the meetings and friend for support. I hate tornado warnings! We have been lucky this summer.

Bob just mentioned food so guess he is hungry. Hope you are enjoying a special Sunday!
Old 11-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #9  

Good afternoon. Jack’s shaving and showering then going to the store. We’re going to have burgers and we didn’t have an onion. He also has to mail a check to a school friend who shipped me three bottles of laundry sanitizer since I can’t get it here at all.

Jack had a swelling incident. Just the top of his middle finger. This stuff is so weird. It started around 8 AM and was gone by evening.

I am coming along with the back of the vest, but have had to buy different brands and even at the same gauge they feel different. I wanted colors similar to the pink and gray on the back. I think it will look fine, it’s just how it feels knitting it.

CeeJay: Glad you niece is feeling better. Hopefully your nephew’s friend continues to be a positive influence. We had rain last night and wind this morning, but a lot of this part of the country had heavy winds, I saw.

Jean: I know you are proud as anything. I saw the video of them returning home with the fireworks. The one photo of Ian he looked near to tears, but being a senior reality about it can be tough sometimes. About how often do the episcopal churches change pastors or do they just leave because they want to? We haven’t tightened up anything here again but I’ve seen places that have. People have to understand it’s flu season and viruses always explode during flu season. It’ll quiet back down.

Have a good afternoon everyone!
Old 11-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #10  

Morning
I have internet again and cable. I really am glad. Told sis that it was hard working from my phone or tablet. I will be living in Battlefield until the next move in the spring to Branson. The contractor was supposed to start renovations in December but now he has COVID.
There is sunshine this morning but the wind is cold. The temperature high is supposed to be 65.

gma
Poor Jack, this swelling has got to be a concern for him and you too.

Jean
Our new pastor is supposed to start this week end I think. I haven't been in awhile. Things are not the same with out bil there and with COVID. And I just want a male pastor. I haven't gotten used to the fact of female pastors and our new pastor is female. It's even more hard for sis. We will find a new church in Branson. We may wait till the COVID settles down too.

Old 11-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and the wind continues to blow. Supposedly it is 50 degrees outside but it feels colder with the wind. We had over a $10,000 church deposit this morning; it was the banks automatic monthly giving plus a couple of hefty checks that are timed quarterly somehow. Our pledge Sunday was to be the last Sunday in November so we have no idea what to expect with COVID in the mix and being closed again. Bob took my laptop to the place where we bought it and left it. I described the guy I don't like and who said they no longer work on personal computers asking if that is who Bob talked to. He wasn't and I wonder if his attitude got him fired. The garage door man didn't come today either. I went for pt this afternoon and she worked on stretching muscles. She does both feet but my sore heel is a little more tender right now. Progress I hope!

“Gma,” poor Jack! I feel so bad for both of you but think the tongue swelling would be the most scary! You have such patience with your knitting. The vest will be beautiful I know. Ian did have tears on his cheeks in the one photo. Four years playing varsity, two state championships, and a second place state trophy is quite the deal for the seniors. They are a close knit group of kids, and people from the community really support their sports. I think that is truly small town loyalty. Zowie will be playing in the band at games but doubt if we go; maybe to a nice weather token game. Ian has had several positive comments from teachers and coaches, over the years, which means more to me/us than his football career. He is just a nice all around young man. I’m not sure about Episcopal pastors but each year the Methodist pastors are required to tell the conference bigwigs they are willing to remain, wish to move on, or either way is fine. The last dud was here three years too long, and the one before him was here six years. I’m so afraid we won’t keep this one very long because his wife has three small area church she is pastoring. That is a lot, even though they are small. Our pastor mentioned again how hard this move has been because he can’t recognize faces with masks on. He knows both of us because I don’t wear a mask in the office and Bob has met with him one on one for various committees. The Catholic Church here just told members 65 and older that they don’t have to come to church for the rest of the year. They have several services so I was surprised.

Ceejay, we had a female pastor several years ago. She was good in that she would stand in front and preach without notes. However, she was not a people person and you didn’t get warm fuzzy feelings from her. After she left here she was involved in the gay/lesbian movement in a larger city even though that wasn’t where her church was located. That caused some talk here for sure. There is a new female pastor in Bob’s little hometown church and our friends there think she is wonderful. She’s very community oriented and a people person. It takes all kinds to make the world go around I guess.

I have clothes in the washer and dryer so the dryer should be done by now. Enjoy the rest of a marvelous day!
Old 11-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #12  

Good evening! Chilly last night, but warmed into the 60’s today. It has cooled off again this evening because my feet got cold. I hope these milder temps continue. I like the low utility bills. Today is Kelly’s 44th birthday. I hope it was nice for her.

I wish people would just stop with the whole election and covid business. Behave yourself, do what you’re supposed to and take precautions. They expect a vaccine by spring so hopefully that and spring temps will help. I’m just sick of all the grousing about everything. I got off FB again because I just get mad at all the postings.

I tried to post pic of the back of the sweater, but it won’t let me. It’s coming along though. It kind of reminds me of shaker sweaters.

CeeJay: Our denomination doesn’t have female pastors. It’s not such a bad idea to change. It has to be hard being reminded every Sunday of your bil not up there preaching. I use my tablet constantly, but I hate having to use my phone. We have two pcs, one downstairs and one in Jack’s office. I only use the pc pretty much to pay bills or if I am ordering something and can’t scroll down far enough to add it. We have Internet explorer and they’ve done away with it so most online stuff won’t allow me to do anything. I either have to log in to firefox or google chrome or use my ipad. Drives me nuts.

Jean: Small schools are like that. I had 62 in my graduating class and knew every one of them because we started 1st grade together. Our schools were together, front was elementary and jr high and then a long corridor to the high school building. When I was young the two buildings were separate. Now the front building was torn down in the 80’s and the jr high and high school kids were sent to the next town over and bused. The high school is now the elementary. I have a lot of school friends on my FB along with a couple of guys I babysat for. Ok, I had a brain freeze. I thought you were episcopal. Jack said his pt guy kept making each week longer and harder. By the time he was finished the sessions were 2.5 hours long and they started at 60 minutes. He said it was torture treatment. Of course, beneficial since he is walking, getting down on his knees, climbing stairs, etc no problem. Secretly I am ready for him to go back to work, but only because my routine is shot to heck. He goes to bed late then takes naps, etc. I get nothing done. I started two days ago going back to bed at 9 like we do when he works. I got up at 6:30 and no nap and got some housecleaning and such done. I warned him when he retires we stick to a routine even though he no longer will get up at 5 AM. No staying up until midnight except occasionally.

Everyone have a good evening!
Old 11-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #13  

gma
I still stay up late at night. Usually in bed before midnight but just barely. I've always been a night owl. Can I ask what denomination/church you attend? Just curious. I agree with the election ordeal. It was a close race and Trump had a lot of loyal supporters, but he lost. It's what I keep telling bff but she still holds firm that he won and there was election fraud. Guess we will find out for sure December 14th when the electoral college votes..
Hi Jean

---------------------------
I've been sleeping in till 7.30. I went to the gym again this afternoon and did cardio for 30 minutes. even though my fitbit says 25. I walked for 15 minutes and then rode the bike for 15 minutes.
After this I drove out to Ash Grove to get the mail which was mainly catalogues. Sis had a small package. I think she ordered some more mask.
I text with a friend for a little bit
I put some pork chops in the crockpot for supper this afternoon. They were good and tender. My bridge still doesn't like to have food on it so I'm trying to eat on the left side.
I put a small load of white clothes in the washer and when they are done I'm going to do the sheets.
This is it for me. More later

Old 11-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! Another very windy day and now the sun has disappeared. The good thing is that most of our leaves are off the trees! Bob took branches to the land fill and said he'll mow the leaves and bag them later this afternoon. I think it is supposed to rain later this evening. The verdict on my laptop is that it forgot it has a wireless connection to the house WiFi and it is ten years old. Time for a new one! The computer store is closed from 1-2 for lunch so will head that direction later. Hope I can get the new one by Monday. The garage door guy still hasn't come back. I am lucky he put an inside handle on the door and I can lift the door to get my car out. I went to get my nails done this morning then stopped at an athletic store looking for a Nike sweatshirt for Ian. Maddy and Kolby want Champion brand sweatshirts. *sigh* The store didn't have either one. The frame shop gave me a $200 estimate for framing three pictures for Maddy and that's not going to happen. Guess we will make a road trip to Sioux City and do some power shopping. My foot hurts to even think about that! But I would like to have my shopping mostly done earlier this year. COVID has put a glitch in everything!

“Gma,” Are you still wearing sandals? I wear socks to bed if my feet feel are cold then don’t remember taking them off sometime during the night. Do you have Sirius on your iPad? I think I have Explorer on my laptop, maybe that’s my problem. Bob thinks his manager is going to give him the boot since it is well past the timeline he asked Bob to help manage the accounts. Bob isn’t selling and thinks the higher ups are putting the pressure on his manager. He doesn’t mind the service work and it gives him someplace to go every day. I keep telling him he can’t hang around the house all day, he cramps my routine! I have been waking up around 5 and roll out a few minutes later. I’m good at afternoon cat naps!

Ceejay, I’ve always been a morning person but remember some very late college nights. Living in the dorm was distracting with friends in and out all the time. I still keep in touch with a couple and reminiscing is fun. Congrats on going to the gym! If the news can be truthful, late, lost, and/or thrown away uncounted votes are still being found. I don’t like the mail in option! Either show up in person for an absentee ballot or vote in person on Election Day, period! Makes one wonder if there are many honest vote workers! We used to have machines that used levers and you could only vote for one person in each slot. That was a long time ago and I don’t know how they tallied the votes. Bob heard on a news broadcast, all the computers send their results to Spain to be combined. That doesn’t make any sense to me!

I need to clean up the kitchen and run another errand before visiting the computer store. Hope you are having a good day and enjoy yourself!
Old 11-18-2020, 08:35 PM   #15  

Jean
My sis is a morning person.

Not much going on here. My knee bothered e today so I didn't go to the gym.
I got tired of looking at the dirty refrigerator so I tackled it today.
I will go back tomorrow to check the mail in Ash Grove and go to the gym. It's supposed to be windy tomorrow also.
Not sure what this spoiler is. I can't get it off.
Spoiler