3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   2020 - The Worldlie Chicks Begin A Fresh Year (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/318403-2020-worldlie-chicks-begin-fresh-year.html)

happy2bme 01-01-2020 02:18 AM

2020 - The Worldlie Chicks Begin A Fresh Year

:newyear: Happy New Year to the Chicks and our followers

2019 was not the best year for many, always good to take a breath and start anew. May 2020 see us realizing some of our hopes and dreams and be filled with smiles, good health and fun challenges to help us grow and be our best selves.

Going to do some housekeeping - Here's a link to the last thread in case you need to peek back

happy2bme 01-01-2020 11:39 AM

Good morning chickie friends,

Happy New Year to you all as we are now in 2020 all around the world. I started my morning with a defective Keurig cup which made me think the coffee maker broke (oh horrors) but then we figured it out. Brewed my cup and got the creamer out of the refrigerator and gave it a good hearty shake only to realize that the cap snapped off the other day as I watched a spray of very sticky coffee creamer go all over me, the floor, the walls and cabinets, thus coaxing the first F-bomb of the year out of me. :o Guess the kitchen will be getting a good wash today, never a bad thing. Last night was the first in memory that I did not mark the turning of the clock to midnight. DH was whiny about his illness so I just let him sleep because quiet was preferred. Thought about making myself a drink but thoughts never got further than my brain. No one to kiss at midnight - even the cats curled up and went to sleep. So I washed the dishes and looked around the cabinets and tossed out some things I didn't really need. I think this year's mantra is going to be "why am I SAVING this?" I always think I'm going to use it and I procrastinate so long that it either spoils or I was never really going to use it in the first place. Unless of course, I make quick work of using it.

I am not making resolutions but I have a thing like electronic post it notes on my computer desktop that I use for reminders and my events calendar and things I want to remember. One of them is a list of things I want to incorporate into my regular routine like drinking more water, exercising, hot compresses for the eyes, etc. I have decided that I'm going to start by looking at that list first thing and reinforcing doing a few and hopefully all of that small list of things.

It's going to be a quite day at home. As soon as I finish this I am going to take a shower to wash off all the sticky coffee creamer in my hair. I am going to clean the cat box downstairs and get on the NuStep afterwards. I have to get ready for bingo on Saturday so will send reminders to the helpers, make some accounting sheets and make up some packets of small bills change as bingo is $1 a card and people give us $20 dollar bills all the time. I have 2 hot spot piles I am going to clean up and some laundry to do. And before I know it, the day will pass. We have bits of sun peeking through but it's cold out there and I think the clouds are moving in. I'm glad the holidays are over to be honest.

I thought this was a crummy year for me but I am quite surprised at the number of people who have felt the same about 2019. It's not all been bad - I took some art classes and hope to renew an interest in watercolor painting, we adopted the kittens who are both delightful one minute and maddening the next - you should have seen me last night trying to check all the ping pong sized bingo balls with 3 cats who love playing with ping pong balls. I found the courage to say no and walk away from situations that weren't doing me any good and I have found some of my joy again. I am crazy laughing like I haven't in far too long. At the same time I am sad because I realize some people only kept in contact when I was doing things to help them. I hit a super low point mentally and tried out a psychologist who didn't do anything for me after I had to wait 2 months to get an appointment in the first place. I realized as I have all my life that it's pretty much up to me to fix things. I derailed that train track I was on and I hope the new year brings a sunnier path. I need to take better care of myself - I am tired of being compromised with my knees and such and I can still make a difference although it won't be easy. But the start is the hardest part. I am still alive and while I can't kick far, I can still kick. I am going to try and be kinder and less judgmental this year - part of that comes from being broken and past circumstances and influences that negatively affected me. Going to try and be more mindful of how I spend money too. ;) Anyway wishing you all some inner reflection and a strong conviction to make this the best year you can for you.

Susie - I do hope you reach your goal of ONEderland this year. You have the drive and initiative to do so. I am really glad to see that you decided that while you are a loyal and dedicated employee, that you do not have to give 1000% to the job and that you were shortchanging the most important person - YOU. You have achieved balance - keep it that way and don't let other things deter you from your goals.

Annie - I hope you find something more satisfying and challenging to you on the job front. Work is tough enough - even harder when you are bored. I wish you and C good health and financial stability as well as the love of your family.

Shad - I saw the fires on the news programs and hope that Mother Nature prevails and sends some rain your way. The devastation is horrific for both humans and animals. Could not believe how Little Miss has grown so much. Soon she will be asking to borrow the car :rofl: Wishing you continued good health and look forward to another year of friendship and witty comments.

Ceejay - I hope your nephew finds the strength to chuck his old ways as it is totally up to him to change. Don't enable him. Go and live your own good life and do the things that make you most happy.

Laura - with your surgery behind you, here's wishing you can get back to an unencumbered life again which makes you feel better and more normal. Hope you can settle on choices for the home renovation projects and that work is full of more challenging projects that allow you to shine again.

And now I really need to head into the shower - I keep touching this crusty hair of mine and it's making me crazy. Milk baths are not all they are chalked up to be! :rofl: Have a good day today ladies. :wave:

Laura705 01-01-2020 08:02 PM

Evening all. Wishing all of you a fresh start in the new year/first year of the 20's. (Not sure it's really a new decade...is 2020 the last year of the decade or is it the first?)

I'm sad to say that the past two weeks have been really bad for my family. On Christmas Eve the younger of my two nephews had a seizure, lost consciousness, and was revived once by the EMTs, but lost consciousness a second time and could not be revived. It was related to a brain injury he suffered due to an accident at work. So horrible - he was only 35! He should have had a full life ahead of him. I feel so awful for his mother/my SIL who has now lost her husband and a son. And for my mom who has lost her husband, both her sons and now a grandson. He and his brother live in TX and there will be a wake on Friday and there will be a memorial here in IL at a future date.

My mother could not go to dinner on Christmas Day at my sister's because she was sick - really bad cough with a lot of chest congestion. Then she fell on Saturday morning and couldn't get up (she was able to get to her phone to answer it on my sister's third try) and we called 911. Thankfully she was unhurt. We need to get her to use her darn cane and wear her emergency button thingy around her neck. I arrived while the EMT's were there. The state of her unit made it clear she hadn't been keeping up with housekeeping. but I'm not sure for how long - it might have been the past week when she started getting sick? Her place is cluttered with too much stuff so it's never all that tidy, but there was a sink full of dishes and garbage that needed to be taken to the chute. Whether this is just due to being sick or not, I don't know.

She didn't seem to be getting better after a week. so my sister took her to the ER yesterday. No pneumonia thankfully, but she does have bronchitis. I hadn't seen her for several weeks due to my surgery, but having seen her on Saturday, she seems to have mentally deteriorated since I last took her shopping. I'm hoping she improves once she's feeling better, but I'm not overly optimistic. Her memory had been gradually worsening, and her hearing is really bad now. My sister and I visited with the "lifestyle options " office at her community and we hope to get my mom to accept homecare people to make visits to help her with things such as light housekeeping, meal prep, medication reminders, errands, etc. We'll need to push her firmly to get this to happen. In the meantime, both my sister and I will have to get over there regularly to bring groceries and do whatever needs to be done.

Nothing much else to report on my end. I'm getting around without the knee scooter now, and even without crutches the past few days. I ventured down the basement stairs today to do some laundry. Tomorrow I'm definitely going to test my foot on the gas pedals to see if I can drive. I'm not sure about the logistics of driving - I will not be able to drive with this giant boot, so I'll need to wear something else on my foot while I drive (like the postoperative shoe I wore right after I got the stress fracture nearly 3 years ago). But I do think I should wear the big boot when I'm out and about, so that means I'd have to swap the shoe for the boot in the car before I get out?? Bleh, I dunno.

My NYE was very low key. Bf had a friend over to hang out with. I watched tv and read and together we toasted in the new year at midnight with some prosecco. The distance between bf and I keeps growing and it's hard to deal with him. Dissatisfaction with his life has turned him bitter and he can be very disagreeable and critical at times and I'm reaching the end of my rope with him. I'm very unhappy and have been for a while and something has to change. I know I can't change him and I honestly don't see him wanting to work on himself...So I have to change what I can, and this year has to be the year. I procrastinated on my foot surgery, and I've procrastinated on taking action with this relationship and I really don't want to squander any more precious time.

Happy - I'm so sorry to hear about your DH's infection! Absolutely agree that we have to pay attention to our bodies for any anomalies and listen to what it's saying! I hope he's on the mend and that you both survive the patient/caregiver period! I hope your mom's scan went smoothly yesterday and that it's something easily treated. I think you made a lot of good changes last year and I wish you the best in moving forward with doing what's good for your health and what makes you happy!! I understand your disappointment with people/relationships and hope we can both work through it/get past it.

Annie - Christmas tacos sound wonderful. I'm kind of over ham for the holiday dinners cuz we've done it so much the past several holidays.

Ceejay - Glad your Christmas Day was quiet. How was your Saturday Christmas celebration? I hope you had some quality kid time. Keeping your BIL in my thoughts.

Susie - Sounds like you've been having a wonderful time during your vacation/holiday time. How did you like the movie Knives Out?? Another trip to look forward to - awesome! On to ONEderland in 2020!!!

Shad - I'm glad your trip to Adelaide went well. LOL re the parenting "fun" ahead for S's parents. I hope you're feeling better now after your body complained about the change in the food/eating routine.

That's about it for me. I hope we can all make 2020 a year filled with health and happiness! :)

ceejay52 01-01-2020 09:18 PM

Nephew is no longer living with me. He came home drunk and I called his mom and she came and got him. I hope 2020 is better for him. Bil has had 12 of his 15 radiation treatments. He still is in a lot of pain. So I pray for comfort and peace for him.
Our Christmas celebration on Saturday was great. Bil's daughters were here so he enjoyed them as we all did.
Last night was very low key for me. I was sick most of the early morning from midnight on the 23rd, throwing up. But I survived. I stayed up for the new year/new decade to begin.
Today I was able to eat lunch at Applebee's with the family. Nothing traditional. And got my baby therapy.
My niece is here for a short visit. It was great to see her.
No new years resolutions for me again this year. I always break them on the second day, so what's the use.

Laura
Wow, didn't realize the drama going on in your life. May 2020 bring you the best life ever. Hope your mom will accept the help. I would if any one ever offered.

Happy
I've learned the hard way that I can only do a couple of cleaning chores per day plus a load of laundry. I started making a just for today list last year and sometimes I can get through it sometimes I can't. I just tell myself you are retired don't do them all at once. I've found that journaling my thoughts play a big role in my mental health. Sometimes I feel the need for a punching bag. :lol:

Annie, Susie and Shad :wave

MyChoice2bfit 01-03-2020 02:55 PM

Hello Everyone,

It is good to read the posts and have everyone back her "talking". I like that we are connected on FB but I don't feel like FB is a place to really "talk" and I'm glad we keep doing the thread.

I went back to work yesterday, Jan 2 and am at work today. Very quiet in the office; I like it that way as I needed to get through email and I'm doing a little bit of organizing myself to hit the ground running faster next week.

I had a 1.8 lb loss at TOPS last night; I was happy to start the year off on the right foot. I haven't gotten back to my exercise; I had a uti or a IC flare up--hard for me to tell which is which, and my doctor has me treat it like a uti and use the same things for an IC flare that I would use for a UTI to be comfortable, for at least 7 to 10 days. If I have issues after that, he wants to see me. I am feeling a little better. I plan to do a gentle treadmill workout on Sunday.

Shad: is it normal to have these extreme tempatures? I know it get hot but this seems very dangerous. I do remember it being very hot for you last summer. Here's to hoping you are having a break in the heat.

Happy: It is a good idea to make list, you should have a plan, if not then you plan to fail. BUT, remember you are retired and some things can wait until tomorrow. You manage your time, don't let time manage you.

What a ordeal your DH had. I hope he is feeling better now. I would offer advice that he should get in to a urologists now to establish himself as a patience. Once that prostrate starts acting up in older men, it seems you deal with it a lot more and I'm sure it was a part of the UTI.

Your new kittes look cute; enjoy them! :)

Laura: Wow you have a lot going on. I am very sad to hear the new about our nephew. That is just horrible and I'm sure you all are in shock and just feel at a loss. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Sorry to hear that your mom is dealing with sickness as well. Hopefully she is feeling better. As for having to look at options for more care has to feel stressful for you. I am glad you have your sister to hash things over with; it is hard to make the choices by yourself.

How long has you and your BF been together? Men as they age, tend to get grouchy and hard to get along with. I think it bothers them to age.

I am sorry you aren't happy; I would say that he isn't happy with himself eithier or he wouldn't be going on like he does. I hope you can find the path you want to take and that you can come to your best conclusion.

Here's to making 2020 full or health and happiness for each of us!

Anne: I am looking forward to our time at KI together this year! I am praying for the best job to become availalble for you.

Shad 01-03-2020 06:23 PM

Morning all,
Here it is the 4th of January already. DS2's birthday and he is 44 years old. How the heck did that happen? So today we are off to the Glen Hotel for lunch which is why I need to get this finished very soon.
It's still hot - 32C today (around 94F) which isn't so bad really and a darn sight better than 40C (110F give or take a few degrees). Mostly the fires around our State are under control or out. We've come out of it better than the other States, however it will still take years to recover from this, and we still badly need rain. According to the Bureau of Meteorology there isn't any on the horizon for this month. According to the man with the onion, Onion Forecasting we should get some reasonable rain within 3 weeks. Still we need 5 days of solid rain to make a dent in any of these fires.

Happy - thanks for setting up the new thread. It's taken me a while to catch up with it because I no longer get notifications to go see who has written posts.
Always good to throw some bits and pieces out if they are not being used. I allow them to sit for 6 months. If there is no known use for them at that point out they go. Well diamonds and other precious stuff aside. The kids always get moving when I am cleaning. One was heard to say to friends ' better move or my Mum with think you are some useless ornament and chuck you out'. Still even using that mantra, there is stuff in my life that has no further use or interest and will eventually get found and thrown.
Sorry to hear that DH is not well. Always incredible how close they are to death when dealt a virus or cold. Hope he recovers soon and becomes his jolly ? self again.
Some good goals in your list of things you want to do and achieve this year. 2019 wasn't really a good year at all. I can't think of anyone who has had some nice things to say about it.
Kittens are a great pleasure in life as are all the precious wildlife on this blue rock we live on. Although got to admit, there aren't nearly as many over here now. Mans greed and stupidity has managed to decimate them.
Thank you for the wishes for the new year and I will try to find some witty comments for you throughout the year.

Laura - 2019 hasn't been a good year for you at all. Sorry to hear of the emotional woes with b/f. I agree, you need to take a long hard look at yourself and your relationship. It's no easy task.
And the problems with your Mum. Sounds like she needs more help than she is getting and it can be dangerous with memory and hearing loss as so many things can happen when you forget to turn off burners or can't hear the phone, door or worse fire alarms.

Ceejay - sorry to hear that the nephew is not doing things the right way. He needs to go back to rehab. Alcoholism is not an easy thing to beat and I feel sorry for him. He should never have another drink. At least he is not at your place and upsetting you. Seems there has been some sort of gastric bug going around. Three of us in my street have had it and you seem to have similar symptoms. Get over it quickly I hope.

Susie - Racing around at the office again I see. And congratulations on the weightloss. Heading back in the right direction now.
Yes temperatures up to around 35C (100F) are common in the summer here and there are places out west that regularly used hit the 40 mark. However now it just seems to be escalating and some of the desert out west is reaching up to 50C and we are regularly getting to 37-38C. Add to that we normally have high humidity in the summer and plenty of bugs (don't tell Happy that) and so far this year, a month into summer, we are well down on the humidity, lacking the heat storms and certainly lacking the rain which use to be a regular downpour around 3.pm every afternoon. It's dry, searing heat here now. And although there are some around, there are far fewer flying nasties than what there used to be.

Annie - hope you are all okay at your place.

Okay, that's about it now. I'd better get away and do something else. Dog and I have already walked (5.00am this morning when it is cool) and I have pulled weeds out but it looks like another basket of washing is in the wings again. Where does it all come from???
Oh yes and I had a card from Carla49 yesterday. I had one about 2 years ago and wrote back (then promptly lost her address) and never heard any more. Thought that maybe that friendship might be over but she is still alive and kicking in Ottawa so I will get back to her shortly. I haven't even given thought to the Christmas letter yet, maybe this week???? Gotta go. Stay safe - kia kaha.

happy2bme 01-04-2020 12:14 PM

Good morning and a happy new year to all the chicks,

I agree - so nice to see some regular posts again. I fell off the desk so to say for a while there - I get distracted easily or someone else decides to make plans for me and I did get away from regular posting. Will try to be better again this year. I am also going to try and let this be the year I again send out birthday cards which I haven't for years! And again I stare at my Christmas postage stamps sitting on the table that never got matched up with cards to mail out. :o Sigh. Although honestly, I was just not into the holidays this year at all. And now they are over and I can rejoice that I have no clean up! :rofl:

I do apologize to all that when I set up a new thread I am in a hurry and often miss the tiny details like checking the box that sends out update notifications to you all. I just tend to check online and since there is barely any activity on this segment of the website, check from posts there. I will try and remember to click that box next time - no way to fix it once you've set up the thread.

Shad - all last week every day they had on the news stories of the fires down under. Pictures of kangaroos running and people watering the poor koalas. The blood red of the skies really struck me. I can't believe Sydney did the fireworks although the city there is concrete over the bridge and you are one of the first to greet the New Year. I hope that a good soaking rain comes your way soon. I think we are at a tipping point on totally messing up this big blue marble we sit on. Hoping our orange clown in the White House does not set off a firestorm of terrorist retaliations with his latest plunderings. Anything to take attention away from his foolishness - no need to listen to those long in place to advise on policy and protocol - he knows it all and most of his cabinet is made of incompetents just like him. God save our souls. So nice to hear that Carla is still around. As I remember she would hang in the shadows and occasionally come out for a peek and poke at things. One good thing about our snow here - you can't see the weeds :rofl: Happy plucking!

So Susie - are you liking your "new" job as you've been there a while. Is it less stressful and more satisfying than the last position? I do hope they are treating you better.

Ceejay - Nephew needs to grow up as you have said - seems he's falling back more than making progress. He's going to have to decide for himself to stop giving himself excuses. Sadly some people never do. Hope the BIL is doing better - he's had a rough year. I agree with you that it's more satisfying to at least accomplish a few things than to get overwhelmed looking at a big list of things that only partially get done.

Laura - seems you and I are travelling a very similar orbit these days. My poor sister was sitting at home about to enjoy some avocado toast when she got a phone call from my Mom who she just dropped back at home 2 days ago after the big "Christmas Lump" / CT Scan ordeal. Seems Mom said she had a bad night, had trouble breathing and her blood pressure was "sky high through the roof". Sis dropped her toast, and rushed into the city to pick up Mom and rush her back to the hospital near her. The hospital in Mom's neighborhood in the city is awful - would not take a dog in there. So 2 hours of travel and 4 hours in the Emergency Room. All the while my Mom is laughing and smiling and joking because she is once again, the center of attention as all the doctors and nurses are fussing over the sweet 93 year old lady and my oh my don't you look so wonderful for your age. My sister Facetimed us at the hospital and for someone who hours earlier was so concerned, she looked as if she was the honored guest at the Kennedy Center Awards this year. ;) "Oh I'm not THAT BAD" she said. Turned out she had some fluid on her lungs and edema in the legs. Not from Christmas indulgence of foods but it is the congestive heart failure starting to take it's toll. Sis wanted them to keep her overnight but thanks to those in our lovely government that want to cut back unnecessary programs that maintain the well being of our citizens, Medicare (our insurance program) is making huge cuts in 2020. So patch them up and send them on their way and if they collapse in the street before they get home, we'll just patch them again. So they sent Mom home with Sis. I hope they both got some sleep. Doctor did say that this situation is controllable with medications although they won't be able to contact the cardiologist to adjust her meds until Monday at the least which is why my sister is nervous right now. Like your Mom she refuses to use her walker although she is very wobbly and an immediate fall threat. Would not wear the emergency alert button my SIL got for her, is not eating properly and we are not sure she is taking her medications regularly. Sis and I both feel this is the year we have to make a decision because she can't live alone much longer. So you have all my empathy with your Mom's situation also. If either of us figure out how to get them to listen and be more proactive, we will share that info, ok? I am so sorry to hear of your nephew's passing. How very sad at 35. My condolences to your family.

As for the BF, my heart goes out to you. I can actually see that from both sides. Having been what I felt was disrespected and undermined from a number of people in several aspects of volunteering, I too became incredibly negative, crabby and a constant complainer. I had been hit up so many times that I became hypersensitive and it began to color my whole life - I misread cues and anticipated negatively from places it was never intended. My personality changed and I started to see myself as I anticipated others might see me when I encountered super negative people. Is THIS how I wanted to be percieved? :no: :nono: And it was affecting my relationships with those I loved and was close to also. Something had to change. I was also angry because I felt I was justified in my anger and disappointment yet no one backed me up. No one ever said - yes you should not be treated this way. They all simply said " just walk away from this". Worst of all was DH who I felt never really supported me. He gave me "practical guy advice" which is how guys look at things and not how we as women treat people or wanted to be treated. I really started to resent him. So I can understand from your perspective just how difficult it can be to be around someone who has no joy in their life and looks at everything with dark, clouded glasses. But HE will have to change his perception and if he can't - you have to decide what you are willing to be with. The other side of the picture is me dealing with an aging DH who on his last birthday, decided he's going to start walking down that road headed to the old people's club. He has become increasingly stubborn, can't hear, is fighting the hearing aids, stops listening to me mid sentence because he falls into the thoughts and conversations within his own head and blocks me out. It's not malicious and I have to remember that but it feels like I am unimportant as he is clear as a bell with things that are important to him. It's difficult to talk about this with him because he gets defensive and instead of listening to what I'm saying and understand how it makes me feel, he is instead wrapped up in his perception which I guess is a human trait. Still it makes it no easier for me dealing with him. And I am TERRIFIED he is going to pick up on the things that most frustrate me about my mother - can I be around that 7 x 24??? My mother today is NOT the person she was 30 years ago. Her personality has changed a lot. My BIL who comes up with these occasional zingers that are dead on, said about his 82 year old father "old people get to the point where it's all about them. How does this affect ME? They stop looking at logic or how it affects or is perceived by someone else. It's all about what this will mean for me". I can totally see that happening now. And it frightens me. This recent bout with the UTI, he was blowing things out of proportion, you'd think he was diagnosed with stage 4 cancers all over his body and he was just having a horrible time with everything going wrong and I didn't sign up for this and you may tolerate it but I cannot. So what does that mean??? OMG. When I went to see the psychiatrist and tried to tell her about my concerns, she said that he is having a problem with getting old and his body breaking down and that I NEED TO BE MORE UNDERSTANDING. I said what about how this makes me feel? Does he not have to be more aware of what he is bringing to this relationship also with his behaviors? She said it's up to me to be the one to deal with it - no he did not have to change. So, in my current depressed state of the world is against me and I'M SO WRONG, that just made me feel worse and I said I didn't need this kind of "help" so goodbye lady. :lol: Anyhow, I guess the point of my long story is that I can see a whole lot of what you are talking about in my own relationship. Some things I have come to terms with that I have to accept, others like today we have a conversation where I keep bringing up - you do this and it makes me feel this way - hoping that we both can be more sensitive to each other's feelings. Some days I think it's working, other days quite frankly I go into a pit of despair and wonder what it is I want from life and the future. There are some dark days - more than I ever remember in my life prior to this. Perhaps it is part of the aging process. But despite that I am still hopeful that I can dust myself off and make some changes. So I wish you well as you muddle through your feelings. If you ever want to talk, I am here. :hug:

Hello to Annie :wave:

And now I have to get a few things done before I get ready for bingo again late this afternoon. I hope it goes well and doesn't irritate me! Have a good weekend friends.

ceejay52 01-04-2020 07:15 PM

Susie
Congrats on the 1.8 pound weight loss. That's great.

Shad
I hope you are not near those horrible fires.

Happy
From what you have mentioned in your post is yet another set of reasons for me never to have been married. It' s hard enough for me to deal with my problems and those of my sister's. I can see where this could make any one depressed.
------------

Not much going on today. I've worked on another small list of things this morning. And finally am doing the load of clothes.
I thought my stomach was feeling better this afternoon so I had a ham and cheese roll up and 3 small sweet pickles. Now my stomach is churning once again. I think it's going to need pampering for a few days till it heals. It feels raw inside.
I'm very disappointed with the garbage pick up services in regards to recycle. I decided to recycle so I've added that onto my bill and they've brought out the container but not once have they emptied it. I'm talking to my brother in law who has been paying the bill to see if I can start paying it. I think having two addresses is confusing them.
Speaking of bil, he has 2 more radiation treatments next week and the following Monday will be back to chemo. I've told myself that I don't want this kind of treatment.

happy2bme 01-05-2020 06:15 PM

Good afternoon ladies,

Well I survived bingo last night. I was super nervous about things. My sister wished me good luck before I left and I told her I was thinking it was not a good idea to eat an egg salad sandwich for lunch - was it nerves or gassy eggs :rofl: Possibly a bit of both. We had a good turn out, filled the room. DH was a big help to me. He is feeling better and more like his old self so I'm glad I won't have to leave him in the snow ;) I guess he is worried about bad things happening to him like prostate and diabetes and such and was always one to tell me that he never wanted to deal with some sort of terrible illness. He said if he lost a limb, he would not want to live. Back when he rode his Harley and especially after his horrible motorcycle accident, I told him that he'd better NOT be talking like that. Go and ride a motorcycle and then tell me you don't want to live after an accident. Go take a look at a biker crowd and tell me how many crippled up people you see - it's the nature of the sport so to say. Anyway, I guess he was really hit hard by this infection and it messed with his head. I am glad to see he is doing better.

I had a new crew helping me at bingo. One was fantastic, the other pair were enthusiastic but they never did this before so we had a few bumps but everyone had a good time and we all got through it together. We made over $300 which was nice. People were especially generous about donating extra cash which was very touching.

I wanted to go out today but now that I am home more, and probably because it's cold and icy out, I just don't want to leave the house. Not even for groceries or out to dinner. I kind of whiled away the day today. Some laundry, took care of cats, did a lot of paperwork and counted money - bingo will take about 10 hours of my time each week. Looked at the week ahead to make plans. Tuesday we are going to go take a test drive of the new 2020 redesigned Toyota Highlander. We think it is what we want in our next car but they completely redesigned it and would never make up our minds without seeing it. They were delayed in launching it - I think they have an overstock of 2019's and probably should not have announced way back last April they were redesigning the car because the 2020 has features far superior to the 2019. At least for us. DH is totally frustrated with his Ford. At first he was wavering about getting a Ford SUV much to my shock and awe but luckily came to his senses. We realized the service which is important to us as well as the overall quality of the car mattered a lot and we just would not get it even if we went to a dealer farther away. So he wants to rid himself of the truck as soon as possible. It was another bad spur of the moment purchase. The trucks do not retain their value at all - we lost half on a 3 year old truck - another reason to stick with Toyotas.

Time to go stick my head in the refrigerator and figure out something for supper. Nothing sounds interesting... just figured I'd stop in for a minute and say hello to you all. :wave:

ceejay52 01-06-2020 01:08 PM

Hello Worldlies
Not much going on in my little corner of the world. Things are quiet with out nephew here and I like that.

annie175 01-08-2020 09:31 AM

Hey ladies...

Could use some prayers for Curtis.

He had a massive heart attack this past Sunday. Almost lost him. Was dying in ER. Two stents in the widow maker artery which you normally do not survive and a stent in the artery that goes across the front of your heart that feeds the bottom of your heart. Touch and go for a couple of days. He was too far gone to for bypass.

No personals right now.

happy2bme 01-08-2020 09:35 AM

OMG Annie - hearts and prayers to you :hug: You just can't seem to catch a break. :cry: The fact that he made it through what normally takes people out says a lot. Hang in there sister.

MyChoice2bfit 01-08-2020 12:36 PM

I will do personals later, but just read Anne's message about Curtis!

Anne, praise the Lord he survived it and I am praying for his healing.

Much love to all of you!!

Laura705 01-08-2020 03:27 PM

Afternoon everyone.

Annie –Prayers for Curtis and hugs for you!

Ceejay – Glad things are quiet for you. I hope your nephew finds his way back to sobriety. Lists are a good thing – I need to use them more! I hope you get the recycling pick-up straightened out. Re the medical treatment – you can certainly decide how far you want to go with it – and make sure you have a document done if you can no longer make the decision when one is needed. I do wonder how much money and effort is spent on cancer “treatment” research vs. cancer “cure” research.

Happy – Glad you survived bingo and that the outcome was good. Happy to hear your DH is feeling better. Wondering if you should take a chance on the first year of a car’s redesign… Yes, I think we are in the same orbit concerning our moms. My mother makes everything into a joke – it’s very frustrating. Along with her diversion tactics... As for family relationships and those with our guys…people do change and there’s actual *work* that has to happen to really understand what the issues are and learn how to change yourself - or your response to it. Or learn strategies for coping. The question is - do we want to do the work? Do *they* want to do the work? How very frustrating about the advice you received – you need to be more understanding. We all know that’s not the *only* thing, but what if your DH or my bf don’t want to be a part of the solution?? Sigh.

Shad – Happy belated b-day to your son. Praying that the fires can be controlled, so very sad about the damage to the wildlife. Shocked about the size of those fire areas. Yes, I do worry about what can happen related to mom’s hearing issues! Nice you heard from Carla49.

Susie – Congrats on the weight loss!! I hope you’re back in a groove with your exercise. I do agree men age and start to have regrets and other issues. But don’t we all??? I do know that not being assertive about the behaviors I don’t like hasn’t helped…the squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that… So is your friend who returned to Mexico cooking for you once again? Sounds great.

Thanks to you all for the condolences re my nephew’s passing.

Happy Hump day or Happy Thursday. Working from home again, but I’ll likely go to the office starting tomorrow. My doctor appointment went well yesterday and I have been given the go-ahead to do as much walking as I need to so long as it’s without pain, and take it slow. I can wear sneakers around the house and wear them while driving, but walking outdoors I need to wear the boot. I can also use my stationery bike if it doesn’t bother my foot. Next appointment is in a month.

I have a disability parking placard good through next month. I phoned our village about handicap parking spots closest to the train station. I just have to hope they are available to me on my schedule…or I might have to change my schedule. And maybe get bf to drop me off and pick me up.

I scored a victory with the short-term disability company. Last week a survey was done by the ST disability company and I gave them bad reviews. Supposedly they would have someone phone me…No call came. But today I finally remembered to phone the boss of the claim guy and left a message with her. And of course the claim guy phoned me within an hour or so of my message. He told me what was specifically needed from my doctor to extend my disability beyond the one week they approved. I pointed out that the dr’s progress note they already had stated “She has been nonweightbearing in a splint.” I told him that and he said, “yes, but it didn’t say you would *continue* to be nonweightbearing.” (which I was for at least another couple weeks after that dr visit - GRRRRR). So I was prepared to have to phone the doc to request that info. But then 5 minutes later the claim guy calls me back and says he’s spoken with his boss and that they’d approve disability to extend up to when I returned to work on December 2[/size], [size=3]and I need not request additional info from the doctor. So yay for that. I was so ticked off about the whole situation and was even expecting that I might have to forfeit some vacation days to cover the unapproved time I wasn’t working. So that’s over.

Okay, long ramble, but now I’ll get this posted. Take care everyone!

ceejay52 01-08-2020 04:13 PM

Annie
Hug and payers for both you and Curtis.

Shad 01-09-2020 03:35 AM

Annie - wish Curtis all the best from me. I really hope he gets better soon.

annie175 01-09-2020 12:28 PM

Thank you ladies for all the well wishes, prayers and good mojo. Curtis seems to be getting better each day. He did a very short walk yesterday. Sam took him as I am at work. He plans another walk today for a greater distance. Sam has been such a blessing through all of this. Meanwhile we are being audited for 2017 taxes which all info was due today. Sam copied all receipts etc to be sent in. That took her two days as it was when C was in business for himself and had gas and food receipts out the ying yang. Yes let's attack the little guy just trying to get by. Thankfully we were truthful on our taxes and have receipts etc. Just hope they see it all our way. Yeeeee. Too add to the pain, I broke my toe. My ring toe (ring finger). Clubbed it on the bed frame. Shoes are painful.

Bright sides:..we have met our deductible for 2020 and just have to make payments on it. Only 8K. So might as well get all medical issues taken care of this year. Thank God I got home in time to get to C, pop him a nitroglycerin which help save him before ambulance got there. The grand boys were not at home when it all happened. and so much more. Many friends and family to pray and pray and pray. God is good and listens.

LAURA...sorry about your nephew. I missed that one.

SHADDIE...praying for all in Australia. Happy bd son!

SUSIE...congrats on getting back to you and weightloss.

CEEG...glad the nephew is staying away so you can have peace.

HAPPY..hope everyone is feeling better at your house. I bet the kitties are such a joy to watch. and so funny.

Today is a blessing, thank your HP (higher power). and make the best of it.

annie175 01-09-2020 12:29 PM

Oh and LAURA>..glad you are healing and winning battles with insurance.

happy2bme 01-09-2020 12:45 PM

Good morning ladies,

Going to try and post more regularly, even if it's a short post.

Saw your post on Facebook - glad C is home Annie and resting. Quite the scare for you. Some might see the irony that he adjusted his lifestyle and then has a heart attack BUT this may contribute to why he is still around too. I hope things can quiet down and he can recover nicely. I guess you have some work ahead of you. Life tends to throw curveballs. I hope his daughters stepped up also to be by his side. :hug: to you

Laura - regarding your comment about cancer, I was watching the news the other night and they said because of drugs mostly they have saved over 3,000,000 people in the last 10 years from cancers that would have otherwise been terminal. One of the doctors said it's ironic that they have screenings for the 2 most common cancers - breast and colorectal yet people don't take advantage of the screenings so they could be more treatable if caught early enough. I looked over at the Cologard box I have been avoiding dealing with and felt a bit ashamed. But it's still good that they are able to treat things more than they could. Diversion tactics with Moms - :rofl: I call it her putting on her dancing shoes. She is just amazing when it comes to ignoring and deflection. Sigh. :shrug. Glad you are getting along with your foot and you stuck with the short term disability folks. Good thing you don't have snow and ice to worry about as you are out and about. Having a sturdy boot to protect your foot will help.

Not much going on here at home. Spent the day with a friend yesterday. We watched the movie Crazy Rich Asians - thought it was a comedy but was very different from what we thought it would be. L just wanted to gawk at Henry Golding so it didn't matter. I liked him in Last Christmas much better. Kittens are growing. Tarzan climbs over everything in search of food. Shiloh likes to play fetch with her toy mouse. I throw it and she brings it back in her mouth and drops it at my feet. Cute.

Hope everyone's day is going well.

ceejay52 01-10-2020 08:07 PM

Evening
We just had a very bad thunderstorm. very close lightning, move through. We are still under a flash flood watch and tornado watch tonight. It's been 60 degree's today. My grass is looking green. The temperatures are supposed to drop tonight and early tomorrow and will end up with snow. They are calling for 1-3 inches. I have what I need for the next couple of day so there is no need in me getting out in it.
Cleaned my bathroom today and that's about it. Still haven't made my soup but will in the morning.
My right ear has been giving me fits this week. Should have gone to the minute clinic to see whether or not it's an ear infection. If it's not better I will on Monday. You can't get an appointment with the doctor as they are usually booked for two to three weeks in advanced.
I have an appointment Monday with some one to talk about Medicare options. Don't really want to do this but guess it's better than doing it over the phone.

Anni
Ouch on the broken toe. That hurts. Healing thoughts coming your way and for Curtis.

MyChoice2bfit 01-13-2020 05:55 AM

Time escape me last week.
I have not been feeling well st since December 29.

I thought my bladder disease was flared up, so I was doing all the things I do to help it calm down.

I would feel a little better for a day or so and the next day, extreme pain; an IC flare feels like a uti but when they test your urine, there isnt one.

I had enough of it last Wednesday and called my urologist, they told me to come in give them a sample.

I did and low and behold, I had a uti. I have cipro on hand in case I fell like I might have a uti, but it is so hard to tell some times. I did start the cipro but I kept feeling worse each day.

My doctor said it wasnt working and changed the antibiotics and in 3 days I was a new woman. I am still on the antibiotics for a few more days to finish the script out.

I didnt miss any work but one day I did work from home,

From now on, if I think it is a flare, I am going to the doctor and giving them a sample.

I was down at TOPS last Thursday with a 1.2 lb loss.

Workout on bike is finished, time to get a shower and get ready for work. Busy week this week.

Will come back for personals when I get home tonight.

MyChoice2bfit 01-14-2020 05:49 AM

Please excuse any typos, I am on the exercise bike.

Anne, Thank goodness you had nitroglycerin on hand and that you acted quickly.

How awful that C was being audited at this same time. But thank goodness Sam was able to get all the documentation together. Is the audit finished our are they looking the documents over now?

You mentioned C went for a walk. That sounds promising.

Ceejay: did you get to the clinic about your ear or did the snow keep you homebound?

Laura: It sounds like the foot is healing correctly but I know it will take time and work to get back to normal. Are you going into the office now or still working from home?

I am not sure what to say about the BF situation and the moods it seems he has. It seems to me that as men age they get worse in that area. I have gone through some of that with my DH off and on.....and it can drive a girl batty for sure.

Happy: I love hearing about the kittens. I can tell they bring you joy.

Shad: how is the weather? There is a lot in our news about the fires and how it is affecting the wildlife.

I beleive the tennis matches are still on to be played as usual?

Thanks ladies for the 30 min visit while I finished my bike ride. I went 5.511 miles in 30 min. It went really fast visiting with you all!

happy2bme 01-14-2020 10:33 AM

Good morning ladies,

Yikes the days fly by quickly. This is going to be a short post, I have to get ready in a few minutes - back to the oral surgeon for the CT scan to start part 2 of the teeth in motion. Then to the dentist - this partial denture does not fit well at all and it is driving me crazy. It's warped feeling so using denture adhesive does nothing. I am not keen on 5 or 6 more months of this. Not much going on. Bingo on Saturdays is a small crowd but we are making some money so all is good. DH is enjoying himself working. I have to make a complicated website fix for the Humane Society I keep forgetting about. Won't happen today or tomorrow either - after the dentist we might stop and get something to eat, tonight I am going with a friend to see the movie Little Women. IF I don't fall asleep - yesterday we went grocery shopping - first time since the holidays and I bought a ton of produce. When I buy alot like this I like to write it down on a list so I don't waste it and it's a reminder when I can't think of what I want. I put away the cold stuff immediately but had the other things to go through after dinner. Then I watched the news and then my sister called and we chatted for a very long time. It was pretty late when I started on the groceries. Then I washed the dishes, fed the cats, put away some other stuff and cleaned the counters. Next thing I know it's 2:30am and I had to get up early today. I will take a Valium before this dental appointment so that and lack of sleep will probably make me woozy / dozy. Might skip the movie tonight although I do want to see it. Supposed to go see 1917 with them tomorrow night - not crazy about that movie but it's got a lot of Oscar buzz. My Mom seems to be stable now - that's good.

Susie - hope you are feeling better now. I see how DH suffered with his UTI and my heart goes out to you. Congrats on chipping away at the extra pounds!

Ceejay - isn't it too late to change your Medicare options? Hope you didn't get too much snow and if you did, enjoy it being pretty.

Laura - are you back in the office now? How's the commute going?

Hope you are feeling better too Annie with the ouchie toe. No time to be limping around.

Hello Shad :wave:

Gotta get into the shower now. Have a good one ladies.

Shad 01-14-2020 06:21 PM

Morning all,
The days get away from me. It's not that I am all that busy but I start fluffing about and cleaning or clearing this or that and before I know it the day has gone and not a lot has been achieved.
This morning it is raining. There has been a shift in the weather patterns over the past couple of weeks and we seem to be back into monsoon system in the north and that means some rain down here. I may have to mow the lawns soon - first time in months. Looking at the meteorological radar map it is almost over already and none of it will have penetrated the inland where the fires still rage. It will take months to put those out.

Happy - yes we did the fireworks and you aren't the only one surprised. However, when you think about it, these are organised paid for, and arranged many, many months in advance. So with fewer crowds and hot smoky weather, they went ahead in the major cities.
As for the mothers (both yours and Laura's) I can well remember my mother treading the same path and how we had to force her into care (which she never forgave me for). We put her into a care home for the aged for a week to be assessed. Then I had to go over and tell her that she could no longer live alone and needed full time care. The choice there was to sell her house and use the money to extend my sisters house so mum could live with her or leave her in the care home. No choice really since my sister works full time and couldn't be with her all the time. And she was apt to wander. So we left her there amid the howls and shouts and tantrums. She did have some of her furniture with her but it really was the beginning of 5 years of **** with her. As for the ex - well it was always about him and is not getting any better. My son tells me he has to cut things short when talking to his father because he gets tired of the moaning and groaning and the 'everyone except me is wrong' syndrome. Still reading your next post, it could have been the medication that was affecting him. Certain meds seem to muck with my head.

Ceejay - no I am nowhere near the fires. The closest is probably 500km away and the worst is now down in South Australia about 2500km away. There is a lot of fund raising going on to help the firefighters and the wildlife. There are also the mainstream charities to donate to if you wish. Most of us are not donating to these because of the high costs of their overheads coming out of the donated money and the CEO's are on big salaries - not my idea of a charity. Still we are grateful that the world in general has come to our aid and we are especially grateful to the firefighters from NZ, Canada and the US who gave up their Christmas' and holidays to help out our worn out volunteers. Meantime our lousy government sits back and tells us what they are going to do. The poor old farmers out west of here have been in drought for nearly 7 years, lost most of their livestock and are more likely to commit suicide that the rest of the population and who were promised help long before all the fires started and still haven't got it. Probably dirtbag no1 is waiting for these millions to pour in from overseas and then will say that nobody needs the governments money. Bah humbug. Sorry rant over.
I hope BIL is responding to the chemo and radiation having been through that myself. I can understand your reluctance to take it on should the worst happen, but until you are faced with a life and death situation, you never know how you will react.

Annie: Hope C is feeling better about life now. He is home from the hospital early. I would have thought he would be there a little longer for observation. It's good that he is going for gentle walks and keeping a bit active. He needs exercise to help heal the heart and arteries. Thank heaven for Sam eh!

Laura: Great that you had a victory with your ST Disability people. Lordy how I hate insurance companies. They are on a par with politicians in my book

Susie - hope the UTI has cleared up now and you are back on track. Well done on the loss of weight. You are on the downward trend again. Good riding on the bike.

Well as most of you know I had some sort of bug over Christmas and New Year. I finally took it off to the Doctor who determined I had a bug called Gardia which is spread by food and water. I'm not contagious at least that's something. So I am on the last days of antibiotics which I don't think are actually doing the job too well. But at least I am not gassy as previously. I was so pleased I lived alone in the early stages. It was not a pretty sight (or smell). So since the antibiotics normal reaction in my body is to delete anything and everything, I now have the great job of putting back the good bacteria in the gut and generally getting fitter (instead of fatter) although I have lost about 2kg since it began. Good start to the yearly weight loss goals.
I have the 2 grand nieces coming over for Monday and Tuesday next week. We will be making ice cream and doing some gardening and maybe some art work if I can find some cheap enough. The ice cream will be made traditional NZ style (eggs, milk, cream) so won't be low on the calorie scale. I thought we might have their Nana and grandpop over plus a few other people to look at the finished product on the 2nd day and see who has made the best ice cream. That should keep them busy for a while.
Okay, going out shortly for coffee with a friend so better head off to the shower and get some of the mud off me. Oh yes I forgot to mention that dog and I went for a walk this morning and it has been raining so the ground being as hard and dry as it was wasn't soaking in the water very quickly. The dog jumped in all the puddles and I slipped over in the mud and got plastered with the stuff all down the left leg and arm. Dog of course being his usual protective self came over to see why I was lying on the ground and proceeded to lick me better. That made it harder to get up and I slid around in the mud trying to avoid him somewhat. So pleased there wasn't anyone else around to see the mud and mayhem. Gotta go. Have a good one - and ask yourself - 'Do I really need to put that in my mouth'.

MyChoice2bfit 01-15-2020 06:04 AM

Happy: how did the appointments go?

What did you think of the Little Women movie?

Shad: I could just picture you and the dog in the mud puddle! Lol

I am glad you are feeling better and that they had you on meds to get there. What sort of things are you take and eating to get good bacteria in your body?

Hello to Laura,Ceejay and Anne.

My work is busy and daily I am still learning things. It makes my brain tired when I get home.

DH told me that last night I sat up in bed, eyes wide open and plainly said, "Dont come any closer, stay right there, you are good at that distance "

I dont remember dreaming or thinking about anything when I went to sleep. It is crazy how our minds work.

happy2bme 01-15-2020 11:36 AM

Good morning to you ladies,

The pile of things to do is getting bigger and bigger. Wish I had a pause button so I could stop things for a few days and catch up. Did see the movie Little Women last night. It was ok. It was one of those movies that jumped back and forth between past and present and future and since (horrors) I had never read the book, I was not sure what was going on and often I was behind for a few moments trying to figure out the story line. Meryl Streep plays Aunt March and dang - that wonderful makeup team made her look like my 93 year old Mum!!! :lol: Despite the implication in the trailers - she actually has a very small role in the movie. She is a great actress but I don't think she fit in this one. Aunt March would have better been played by Dame Maggie Smith IMHO. So that sort of blew away my evening. Tonight we are meeting the same friends for dinner and going to see the movie 1917 - another half day lost. Blew the first half of yesterday at the oral surgeon and dentist. I knew I should have popped a valium for the CT scan but forgot about it until we pulled up to the office. I am claustrophobic. The CT scanner is in a small cubbyhole / closet area. It's kind of dark in there. And they strap you into this chair and you have to keep still so they literally strap your head to a board. They didn't have me fitted into the chair properly - upright but the seat too high and I had to stretch on tip toes to stay in the seat - very uncomfortable. Then they shove - SHOVE this bar across your chest - it's very tight and had a chin cup on a stick that also presses uncomfortably into your face. All meant to not allow any movement whatsoever. You have a very heavy lead cover over you to protect your thyroid and organs from the radiation. And there is a tray you put in your mouth with goo in it that glows when they take the scan to simulate the placement of the missing teeth, it's loose so you have to clamp down on it. They put a giant row of cotton batting under your entire tongue to sop up any saliva - I guess wetness is bad. And they take an equally big line of cotton and put it under your upper lip - like Marlon Brando in the Godfather. Finally they put this large wooden stick in your mouth and tell you to chomp down to hold the tray in place and then belt you into the machine. It is NOT a pleasant experience. At first I was sorely regretting not taking the Valium as the inability to move just sent the claustrophobia into overdrive and I was fighting the panic. Then when they started the machine I was terrified that this thing was going to entirely cover my face which is the worst of all nightmares. I panicked and jiggled and they had to take me out and most annoyingly had to re calibrate the machine and I had to revisit this ordeal all over again. This time I fought the panic because I knew what was coming and just fervently prayed to distract my mind from going down the rabbit hole. Then it was on to the dentist office. I said this partial was wobbly and was irritating my mouth and I was afraid it was going to break the 3 crowns the wires were hitting on. Dentist was kind, said they will re-line the partial. When they make it initially they allow for some post surgical swelling and as you heal, the swelling shrinks - very common to loosen as it did. Trouble is the dental lab is a 2 hour drive. I had to choice of driving to the dentist (one hour from home), dropping the partial there to be picked up by the lab. Go home (another hour ride). Be toothless (which doesn't bother me if I'm at home) all day and drive another hour back the next afternoon to pick up and refit the partial. OR we could drive to the dentist, stop and take a new impression then drive to the lab (another hour south) and spend the day in Eau Claire while the dental lab did their thing. Then pick up the partial and drive back to the dentist where I'd get it tweaked and refit as needed and another hour's drive back home. DH said he didn't care which option and we went back and forth. So I did some looking around when I got home and saw there is a place an hour's drive from the dental lab on the Mississippi River where eagles spend the winter. Since he is always up for a photo opportunity, I thought he might like that. No matter what, there is a lot of driving going on. Especially because we have to go the day before 2 hours north in the other direction to go get him his pain shot in the neck.

So I didn't get to the laundry, clear the counter clutter or change the bedding that I wanted to do - that rolls over to today. I also wanted to make some soup to use up groceries I got the other day. I did buy a package of those plant based burgers only to find when I got home and read the label (which I should have done in the store but was in a hurry) that the burgers are soy based protein and I avoid soy as much as possible. Sigh. I also have this website fix to do and I'm sure the people at the Shelter are chomping at the bit to get it done. Also today when I turned on my computer it said Windows 7 is no longer supported and my computer will be vulnerable because it will not longer get updates. That means I HAVE to get all my stuff transferred to my new laptop that has been sitting on the counter for 4 months now waiting for that to happen. It's such a mess to change computers and passwords and all those bits that make your current computer so comfy and easy to use and the new one such a hassle.

Talked to my Mom last night. She asked about the fires in Australia Shad and asked if it affected you. She said she was looking through some piles of things at home and came across the birthday cards you guys sent to her on her 90th birthday. She read them all to me and said they always make her smile. She said she had about 175 cards over the years and managed to cull it down to about 60. Yours made the cut so thank you for that.

Gee Shad, you sure had an ordeal with the viral thing and the antibiotics. Glad you are feeling better now but what a way to knock off a few pounds! I think the viruses are getting more potent. Last January I had a lung thing that knocked the stuffing out of me - made me so weak. DH said the same thing with his recent UTI - was surprised at how weak he was. Super bugs that come on suddenly.

Annie - hope Curtis is doing better and your toe is healing. They certainly don't keep them in the hospital long. My sister was hoping that they would keep my Mum overnight when she took her in last week but they said the flu season is really bad and they don't want to keep people in there any longer than necessary as exposure presents it's own dangers. I still think it has much to do with insurance companies not paying also. Bolster them up and push them out!

Hello to the rest of you. I'm going to get at least 3 things in a row done without distraction before the day is done and I need to get ready for the movie. Stay warm and be good!

Laura705 01-15-2020 02:25 PM

Afternoon everyone.

Happy – I hope you enjoy the movie 1917 tonight. I might have heard that it’s another one in which the story is told in an unusual way… As for Little Women, I’m interested in eventually seeing that because of reading the book when I was young. I should think Meryl Streep would have been good as Aunt March since she was good and scary in The Devil Wears Prada, LOL. I like Maggie Smith a lot too, and Brits play Americans all the time these days, so she would have certainly been good in that role. Speaking of Maggie Smith…I got the Downton Abbey movie dvd from the library last weekend and finally saw it. Meh. It was like an extra-long episode of the series, but all the story lines had to be wrapped up in one go, so that was sort of unsatisfying. But I enjoyed seeing the characters again, and of course it was beautifully done as to sets, costumes, etc. Wow, that CT scan sounds like pure torture!! You poor thing. What a day to forget the valium!! My orthopedic doctor says that they can’t tell much from my foot x-rays as to the healing progress (due to positioning of the plate, etc., but he can see if something doesn’t look right with the plate/screws. He said he could do a CT to get a better image, but it’s a lot of radiation, and he can tell how it’s going on a clinical basis, i.e., seeing/talking with me. I am back in the office now. I’m driving to the train station and have gotten handicap parking spots and am thankful I obtained a temporary disability placard as it puts me directly adjacent to the train tracks/platform. I take a taxi from the downtown station to the office, and I will now use Uber to get from the office back to the station as I can’t rely on a taxi to be available. Learned that Monday. Also learned I can schedule an Uber in advance so I don’t have to order it on an immediate basis and wait around who knows how long for it to arrive. Not a fan of doing much walking in the boot, so I’m sticking with the taxi/uber for the time being.

Susie – Yes, odd how our brains work when we’re asleep!! You must wonder what all that meant!! I hope you feel completely better after recovering from the UTI. Great job on another TOPS loss!! Yes, I’m going to the office now (see above about that). I know it’ll take a while to be completely back to normal, but it’s already so much better just walking around without the knee scooter or the crutches. Going to see if my foot feels okay doing the stationary bike. I really want to get moving again!

Shad – At least your area is getting rain, but too bad the inland areas are not. What a sight it must have been to come across you struggling in the mud puddle and doggie “helping” you, LOLOL!! Good you at least had a sibling to help deal with the decisions concerning your mother, and I’m glad Happy and I do too. Yay, the holiday bug you had has been eradicated, but I too am interested in what you’re taking to get the good bacteria back in your gut – yogurt, probiotics…??

Ceejay – I heard about the tornado in Fairway, MO. Did you end up with snow? We’ve had minor amounts from that system. Have you gotten your ear checked for infection? I hope you’re feeling better.

Annie – I’m glad C it getting better each day. Thank goodness you gave him that nitroglycerin right away. And I’m glad the boys weren’t home to see all that happen. Wonderful to have Sam looking after C during this period. Ugh, the audit, and at the worst of times! I hope the outcome is good. Will your 2019 taxes be easier now that C sold his route? How is your toe? Yeh, definitely take advantage of meeting the med insurance deductible.

I don’t have much to report, and my lunch hour is over, so I’ll just get this posted. TTFN!

Shad 01-15-2020 04:48 PM

Morning all from a clear and sunny Logan City
We've been up since 5.00am dog and I, and been for a walk (not slipping in puddles this morning although dog got nice and wet in creeks and puddles) and since it is breakfast time I though I would start the day with a post. Two days in a row - almost a miracle

You asked about how I go putting the good bacteria back into the gut after antibiotics. Well it isn't much different from my normal menu really. You are right Laura about the prebiotics and yoghurt. I make my own yoghurt, admittedly from a packet and it is always the plain Greek style stuff. I can put flavours into it if I want with fruit and juices. Then I only eat fresh vegetables, mostly raw or only lightly cooked. Bread, if eaten, must be the wholegrain stuff and I have found a loaf called Ancient Grains packed with all the seeds that stick between your teeth plus oats etc. It's nice to eat but I only eat bread once a day and no more than 2 slices. Then I eat large quantities of fresh fruit and veges. Forget the supermarket for these and head for a good greengrocer or a farmers market. The so called 'Fresh Food People' over here are anything but fresh. I also tend to eat very little meat - again sourced from a good butcher or farmers market, eggs must be free range and fresh, and I don't eat anything sugary or very sweet and no artificial sweeteners either. Baked goods are out and desserts are either fruit or cheese and nuts. Lots of protein and lots of fibre food, lots of calcium rich stuff, nothing processed, nothing take-away and nothing out of a packet or tin. Frozen is okay if you can't get fresh. Drinks are water (lots of it) Pear Juice and Apple juice. I limit tea and coffee. I also take Magnesium and Calcium tables - Blackmores make a combined one so only one tablet per day required. So in a few words, whole foods, natural unprocessed food and plenty of fluids and portion control. So with all that inside me and clean fresh air outside I don't take long to make a full recovery and feel good. Speaking of feeling good about things, I had a bone density test in December and the results came back excellent. No osteoporosis, some osteoarthritis in the L2 and L3 of the vertebrae and that's it. So that goes to prove that all those cramps, nerve pulses etc in my left side are just that, nerve damage possibly from chemo. All is well.

Susie - yes it was pretty funny in the mud puddle. Today I wore gumboots to keep from slipping in the mud again, but that particular patch had all soaked through the soil today. Strange the dreams we have. Have you been having a problem with anyone invading your personal space to make you feel uncomfortable?

Happy - Oh the saga of these teeth. One day it will all be over and you will have dazzling white teeth. Such an ordeal. Yes I agree that these bugs come out of nowhere and that the treatment given sometimes causes more harm than good. I know that some of the stuff prescribed for me has not gone down well in this body. The out of body experience with one lot will sit in the back of my mind for the rest of my days.
How nice of your Mum to think about me over here. You can tell her next time you speak that I really appreciate her concern. No the fires were not near me. The nearest was about 50km away (about 40 miles) but the smoke was thick and gritty. It wasn't pleasant. Nice to know my birthday card to her made the cut. She sounds like she was fairly lucid on that call.

Laura - Good to know you are back at work and getting along. Hope the foot comes completely right asap. I can understand the 'wanting to get moving again feeling'

Hello to Annie and Ceejay. Hope all is well with you.

I'm off to clean and clear the kitchen, dining room and lounge (which are more or less one big room) and wash the floors. I might love the rain but I am not that excited about the paw prints which are now decorating the wooden surface due to the protector dog doing the rounds to see what needs protecting. Have a good one.

annie175 01-16-2020 02:32 PM

Good Aternoon/morning....

Well another trip to the ER with C. He was having severe abdominal pain which I thought was appendix. Not it was diverticulitis. Infection of the pockets in the lower intestine. OMGosh, Got to hospital at 4 am, didn't get home till about noon. Sent him home with scripts for augmenten-antibitoc, norco-pain and Zofran-nausea. So add that to the list of pills he now takes. Diabetic numbers stayed within reason as did his BP. He thought he was going to die. Even told me where money was hidden in the house.

All the documents were sent in for the audit. Just waiting on IRS for their decision of what is going on. Bleh.

LAURA...yes, 2019 taxes will be much easier since C sold his route. W2s and that is it. Hope you are doing better with the foot. Are you back in the office full time?

SHADDIE...our news is making it like your rain has solved the problems with all the fires. I don't believe them. Glad to hear you are feeling better and I believe you really like it when the dog is there. wink wink.

HAPPY..my SIL, Cindy saw LIttle Women. She didn't like it. Too much jumping around. We all saw 1917 and loved it. It is not really a movie I would normally go see but did anyway. It was good.

CEEG...we tend to get the same weather you get or the same weather LAURA gets. You both can keep all the snow. Thank you very much.

SUSIE...glad to hear you are getting over the UTI. I seem to get more and more of them the older I get. Praise the Lord I only had 2 last year. Very painful.

That is about it for me. I am lacking in sleep due to all of Cs stuff with his health. Out of energy most of the time. Taking C to his recheck at the cardiologist tomorrow. He has a recheck at the Gastroenterologist on the 29th. THen with the diabetic doctor in Feb or March.

Make it a great day!

Shad 01-17-2020 04:30 PM

Morning all,
Good rains overnight, still not enough to break the drought or to put out the fires - like Annie said 'don't believe them'. We're copping more of it on the coastal fringes than inland although I did see the Mayor of some small town out west doing a dance of happiness in the rain and some of the farmers too. I'm so happy for them. The grass here is going from brown to green at a fast rate and the weeds are flourishing before my very eyes and joy of joys the temperature is back in reasonable temps. It's even cool first thing in the morning - long may it last.

Annie - Hope C is doing okay now. What a nightmare for you. You probably just want to put your head under the pillow and ignore the world for a while. :lol: on the telling you where the money is ;) Have you spent it yet??
Hope your audit goes okay. How rude of these politicians to pick the remnants of the little people and line their own pockets.
Oh and you are right, I do miss the big boy when he is not here.

Hello to the rest of you. I'm about to finish my coffee, get dressed and go down to the hardware store. I am going to put plantation shutters in the windows here instead of blinds or curtains. I've found the local hardware heaven has DIY shutters and I want to see what they look like. Naturally enough, they have the brochure at my local but no samples and I am not buying sight unseen. Then I will find a few showrooms for the expensive variety and see whether it will be worth doing myself (or with DS2's help) and I want to spend some of my birthday money on a new offset saw to be able to finish the floors. Then I may feel that I have achieved something.
Other than that there isn't a lot to report. I still have the garden to tend to as far as digging it over, repositioning some of the beds and generally tidying up the area. I have my two grandnieces coming on Monday and Tuesday and we might make ice cream. Then we will have to invite the family for an ice cream party to see who has made the best.
Have a good day.

ceejay52 01-18-2020 10:34 AM

Morning
Not much is going on except for the weather. We had freezing rain and sleet yesterday. Luckily our area didn't get as much as northern Missouri did. I'm thankful. The tree's were beautiful with the ice.
The ladies that came the other day were selling all kinds of insurance policies. I didn't fall for that. And yes Happy there is a window of time to get your insurance for us seniors. That's what threw up a red flag.

No personals this morning but back later.

happy2bme 01-21-2020 08:35 AM

Good morning ladies,

Don't have much time to post. This is going to be a doctor / dentist week. Yesterday I had DH make an appointment with the new urologist in town as he is still having some residual issues. The new doctor is nice, took some tests and more to come. Today we are going north to get him his pain shot for the neck and afterwards a stop in at the cabinet place to review a design for the laundry room. Wednesday he goes for CT scan on the kidneys, bladder, etc. Thursday we have to get my dental partial relined. Friday he goes back to the urologist and depending on Wednesday's CT scan, he might have to have more invasive types of tests. Hoping all is well and this is just a stubborn UTI. I think he is a bit less worried than he was last week.

Yikes on the ice Ceejay - would rather deal with 12 inches of snow than any ice. Be careful getting about.

Shad - saw on the news yesterday the crazy weather and fires are wreaking havoc on the tennis matches. Unbelievable the devastation from the fires. Hoping you get some normal much needed rain and not torrents and hail storms. The plantation shutters sound quite nice. Have fun with the grandkids and hope the ice cream turns out. That was a funny story with the dog walk :lol:

Annie - hope C has stabilized. What a shock for him, you must be exhausted mentally and physically. :hug: That is funny about him telling you about hidden money. I think we can all relate to at least one incident where we thought we were near the end. Makes for a good story LATER but frightful at the moment.

Laura - hope you are getting around well. Meant to tell you your card was another that my Mom kept and read to me.

Hi Susie :wave:

Sorry to be quick but it's super cold outside and I want to get in a fast shower before we go and need enough time to properly dry off before I head outside.

Have a good day everyone.

annie175 01-21-2020 02:34 PM

Hey all....

Uneventful 3 day weekend. i.e. No hospitals. My bro came over from St. Louis on Friday. Just beat the yucky weather. He stayed until Monday. It was nice having him but he is a lot of work. lol. My SIL Cindy has an upper respiratory infection but got it taken care of before it could get any worse. Good news on her health she does NOT have to have the hiatal hernia surgery. The specialist said only having pneumonia one time does not warrant surgery. When she had the endoscopy (down the throat) to check that a couple of weeks ago they also stretched her throat and that should help. Fingers crossed she is in the clear. Me on the other hand had a MRI of my head, yeah yeah, there is nothing in there. I have been having what I think is nerve pain around my ear and side of face. Also in my side into my breast. No lumps. Also my left eye has a gel like substance that I have to keep blinking when it goes over my pupil as I cannot see. Then there is a bursts that follow. IWon't know the results of that for a few days. I truly believe this is all nerve related somehow.

HAPPY....good luck with all your appts this week and DH too! OH and thank you for the very nice card. It brightened my day for a minute. :)

SHADDIE...the way our news is reporting the rain over there, the fire is almost out. haha.

CEEG...we got the same yuk weather that you did.

Hello to all ya'll.

Laura705 01-21-2020 05:34 PM

Afternoon all.

I had a pretty dull 4-day weekend, but it was better than being at the office. Did some laundry. Sold a pair of table lamps we bought at a garage sale last summer. They were Mission style with beautiful shades made of amber-colored mica. Unfortunately, the length of the shade didn’t cover the bulbs enough and they were visible from a seated position on the sofa. And the color cast by the shade was very warm and inviting, but not really sufficient to read by! So on Saturday I listed them on craigslist and on my fb garage sale groups and had them sold and out of the house Sunday morning. The previous lamps were brought up from the basement for the time being. Having a hard time finding new lamps that I’m excited about, so I’ll keep shopping online.

Went by Mom’s on Sunday since she didn’t answer her phone. She was fine. TV was blaring – she had a basketball game on, of all things. While I was there I got a grocery list from her. I shopped and dropped them off yesterday. Otherwise yesterday was quiet. I oiled the wood handles of our knives and made headway on a long novel I’m reading. Oh, and more laundry. Yep, I was living it up.

Back to work today. Bleh. I’m taking this Friday off work, so I have a 3-day workweek. I could get used to that!

Shad – I need to just stop trying to find flavored yogurts that don’t have too much sugar in them (there aren’t any!) and buy the plain kind and flavor it myself. Your Ancient Grains bread sounds similar to a bread that my mother likes called “Seed-tastic”, LOL. You’re definitely treating your body like a temple. You mean you haven’t installed flooring with a paw-print design to camouflage what doggie tracks into the house?! LOL. How was the ice cream session with the grandnieces? What flavor won?? Read part of an article yesterday about how the aboriginal peoples in the northern part of your country practice controlled burns (don’t recall what they called them – “controlled burns” is what they call them in the US) to remove brush and reduce more serious damage from wildfires. Interesting.

Annie – I’m glad you had an uneventful long weekend! You probably needed one of those with all the C. events and stress going on in your life! So has C changed all his money-hiding spots now that he’s home and on the mend? I’m glad you liked the movie 1917. There are movies I’ve avoided seeing because they just might be too sad or something I have no interest in, but every once in a while I’ll watch them anyway and am often pleasantly surprised. Hope Cindy is in the clear and won’t need the surgery.

Ceejay – We had slushy snow on the ground on Saturday morning with a limited time to shovel it before the temps dropped and froze it. Of course, bf missed the window. He did manage to shovel a path in front of the house and also from the garage to the house/stoop, but only half of the driveway got cleared. The rest is now rutted and icy. Hopefully some of it melted in the sun today…

Hi Susie!

Happy – Hope all the medical appointments go well this week and all the traveling doesn’t run you ragged.

Okay, gonna get this posted and get ready to get out of here. Debating walking to the train, but the wind chill is in the upper teens, so I think not. Everyone have a good rest of your day!

ceejay52 01-21-2020 07:54 PM

I woke up to the chirping of the smoke detector this morning. I finally figured out how to change the battery but was afraid of those wires so I asked my nephew to do that for me. He came and did that. And has gone to their house to visit with the boys and hold the baby. He seemed to be doing really well.
I joined WW online this week and started out with the purple plan but I've already switched to the green plan which gives me more points. I want to go weigh in this week but the on coming weather may not let me. More freezing rain, sleet and show is on the way.

Susie
Hope you are feeling better.

Happy
Wow, you will be busy with those dr appointments between the two of you.

Annie
Glad that C is doing better and your SIL is too. Hope the MRI show something that can be treated. That doesn't sound to fun to deal with.

Laura
Glad your mom is doing better. Has it been long enough for you to go back to work? Time gets away from me lately.

annie175 01-22-2020 10:32 AM

Holy Mother of God....I spoke too soon. Cindy is back in the hospital with double pneumonia. That is the text I woke up to. Please send all your good mojo, thoughts and prayers her way.

I have decided to go to an acupuncturist to get some stress relief. A gal here at work referred me to the doc she goes to and swears by her. I am still getting chair massages from Katie but think I need to take it a step further.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy.

ceejay52 01-22-2020 12:14 PM

Annie
Sending good vibes to your SIL.

We have had some sleet this morning but it looks to be melting quickly so I'm going to they gym and grocery store in a few minutes. The traffic on FF looks to be doing okay.
I had nephew stop by and help me change the battery in the smoke detector. He looks and sounds great Hope he stays this way.

annie175 01-24-2020 10:51 AM

More good news...not. My MRI came back with nothing on the pain by the ear and jaw. HOWEVER I have chronic small vessel ischemic disease. I guess this is like hardening of the arteries only in the small vessels of the brain. I am now on a statin drug which I refused to take previously because it raises my liver enzymes, but now it is necessary to treat/help with the CSVID. Great. Shoot me like a horse. No pain from it really just if is gets really bad, which I have a mild case at the moment, could lead to dementia, stroke and other not nice things. Doc is referring me to an ENT for the pain in face. Not sure that is correct but oh well.

Thanks CEEG on the good mojo!

Make it a great weekend.

ceejay52 01-24-2020 09:33 PM

Wok up to a dusting of snow this morning and snowing little bitty flakes. The streets were fine. Not sure of the over passes but I didn't get out till noon. Slept till 10 o'clock this a.m.

Annie
OMG, What else! Sending you good vibes also. How is C doing?

Shad 01-25-2020 06:22 PM

Morning all,
Welcome to another hot and sticky Sunday down here in the great south east. But at least we are getting some rain even if the humidity has climbed to off the scale proportions. 3 showers and 3 changes of clothes per day. Ugh.

Annie - I don't know what to say about your family. It really has been a horrible couple of years for you and yours healthwise and probably financially as well. Our Queen called her bad year an Annus Horribilus) Lets hope for a better outcome in the future. Meantime you need to take time out for yourself, all the running around for C, the kids and the grandies and the brothers and SIL will not help your stress levels even though you are a very strong lovely lady inside. Probably going to work is the tonic you need to decrease those levels even if you find it boring.

Ceejay - between your weather and mine we really are on opposing sides of the world. Here it is smoke, fire, heat, storms, humidity and wind, and yes they even had some snow in Victoria a couple of weeks ago. Didn't have enough to put out their fires though. Good luck with the WW.

Happy - hope all is going okay with your week of medical and dental appointments. The havoc at the tennis was down south and yes there was smoke in the air but the main grievance was the itty bitty spoilt brat players complaining about the air quality - duh we are in the middle of the worst fire storm in history, shut up and get on with it. The rest of us have to live with it. Interestingly enough it was the men complaining and not the women. The big names never said a word about the air quality which hacked off the minnows and the tennis goes on.
The icecream turned out fine. The girls had a lot of fun and one made a death by chocolate complete with a chocolate fudge sauce and the other made a raspberry swirl ice cream with a raspberry sauce on top. Both were yummy but I got them round to the parents asap so I wouldn't have to eat them.

Laura - yes read above for the icecream. Generally speaking, the chocolate won because mum and nana are chocoholics and the mums partners two boys are also chocoholics. Grandad and I and the mums partner went for the raspberry and it was delicious.
Glad to know that you are shopping for your mum. At least you can keep the supplies in order in the house. My mum bought whatever she fancied and we found tins of stuff (all the same) that she wouldn't have eaten if she wasn't gaga.
Don't need to install flooring with a doggy footprint ingrained. I get a new and different design each time he comes in with muddy feet. It washes off easily enough and I have to mop the floor fairly regularly anyway since I am a bit of a test kitchen cook and the floor looks like a rubbish dump when I have finished chopping and slicing and dicing and throwing out the rubbish stuff.
Generally I find the Greek yoghurts have the least sugar added and some don't have any added at all. I don't know if you get Bornhoffen (sp) over there but it is really sharp tasting and has no added sugars at all only what is containing naturally (lactose) in the milk. If I am going to add a flavour I sometimes use essences (vanilla extract, almond, orange etc.) but I don't find it all that thrilling. I prefer to add a swirl of stewed or frozen crushed fruit with maybe a teaspoon or so of honey. Sometime I put maple syrup in there as well. It's sugar but sometimes only sugar will do. :lol:
I don't know what article you read, but there is a part aboriginal man who works for the RFS (Rural fire service) doing training and education. He had an article on facebook a while back about how the aboriginal people back burnt (controlled burning). It was only ever done on a rotating basis and was done in a circle formation - ie. pick a tree, build your fire around the tree and let it burn outwards to a certain point (presumably the point was already marked, cleared or burned. This way avoided the tree top fires (most dangerous and what we are now enduring) and allowed wildlife to move out and escape. Apparently, most Australian bush fires (mostly eucalypts) start with the forest floor fire. When this fire reaches a certain temperature, the oil (eucalyptus oil is highly flammable) which oozes from the canopy leaves will spontaneously combust when the floor fire sends up sparks and embers (and sometimes burns inside the trunk of the tree) and sets light to the oils. The result of this is that the fires now leap from tree top to tree top and are notoriously difficult to put out. The result of not actively back burning the forest floor is the disaster we have now. Well done forest activists and stupid politicians.
Hope you survived the above lecture.

Okay, I'm off to do some more in the house. One of the shutters is now installed in bedroom 3. If DS2 doesn't get called out on a job today, I may get the bathroom window done as well. Next pension day I will get two more shutters and he can put them up - meantime I better get to and sand and paint the window frames. Been slacking a bit lately. With the rain, the weeds are knee high and everything in the yard needs pulling, trimming or digging out. I have capsicums (bell peppers) coming on at a great rate (self sown so free food) and I have just picked 4 corn cobs (also self sown) the lemons are finally ripening and the herb bed is motoring along. Meantime I also have floors to lay, doors to paint and hang and some cleaning and clearing out to get on with. Can't think why I wasn't born rich instead of beautiful.

Have a good one and get on with the eating plans, this is the year we need to lose this weight.