3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias — #45 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/317814-steel-magnolias-%97-45-a.html)

Jean 07-31-2019 04:47 PM

Good Afternoon! I was sure I posted yesterday but must have been with invisible letters since I don’t see it now. It has been a cloudy cool day and now it is raining. It’s chilly enough I’m thinking of digging out a sweater! I got up at 5:30 and it was pitch night time dark! :( I’m not ready for that yet! It has been a lazy day for me. I’ve done a load of laundry and made a trip to pick up some more sweet corn from a local farmer who sells from his pickup, then went to the grocery store. It was out of a couple things so will need to either visit the other store later, or go back tomorrow when their truck delivers and they restock shelves.

“Gma,” I had my nails done and a pedicure yesterday. I asked to have the old nail stuff removed and new goop put on since they were thicker than I like. I’ve had the “new” young man several times and he was surprised I didn’t have acrylic nails. I had a different gal do my toes and both did a nice job; I was pleased and for $60 plus a tip I should be! :lol: I feel for Jack! Imo any swelling is not good! I have, or so I’ve been told by Amanda and a friend, what they call a trigger finger. It is my thumb and sometimes will lock tight to the point where I have to use my other hand to open it. Some nights it aches from unlocking and bending it. Looking online, surgery is an option but I haven’t been to the doctor. It’s a 9 hour drive to fish; they drive up Saturday, fish Sunday and Monday, drive home Tuesday. They cross into Canada but loop back down to the resort which is in Minnesota. Luckily Ian’s first tournament game is Friday at noon so Bob can go. Again they are playing a better team so anything can happen. If they win, next game is Saturday and I will either go alone or see if I can ride with Amanda’s parents. The new outfit sounds cute and the shoes perfect to go with it. I always over pack even though we have a washer and dryer in the condo, I hate doing laundry while we are gone. It’s nice to come with clean clothes though.
What is Steakum? Hope your shoulder feels better by now.

Ceejay, I feel so sorry for what your bil is going through. It is hard not to give up when he feels so lousy. That is good news about the tumor shrinking! :cheer: Let’s hope that news will help his spirits to keep fighting! Is your sister’s employer understanding when she has to be gone with him? I hope so! Do your nephews live close enough so they can help too? I’ve never done the prepackaged food. I would consider myself on the picky eater side, and if it doesn’t look good to me I won’t eat it. On our first trip to Maui we went to a fancy and expensive luau. They served mostly Hawaiian food buffet style but also had some American food. Some of the Hawaiian food wasn’t looking good to me so I passed it up. Others said it was really good but I was happy with my choices.

It is a good afternoon to read a book so think I will find some socks and my sweater, then do just that. Hope you are enjoying a nice day. :wave: in the :rain:

ceejay52 08-01-2019 12:41 PM

Caffeine has never bothered me before but today I'm feeling the affects from lack of sleep due to drinking a coke before bedtime. It was 2.30 before I really closed my eyes. and awake at 7.15 this morning.
Went to weigh in this morning and thankfully haven't gained any weight from last weigh in. I'm still losing inches, 2 inches over all this week, which makes a total of 26 inches lost all together. I can tell I'm losing inches due to the fact my clothes are getting loose.
They were going to hook up bil to nutrients last night so hopefully this will make him even better. He hates the ng tube.
My niece is coming in for vacation on Saturday. I'm to pick her up from the airport.

gma22
I haven't heard of Hugh Pentecost. I will look to see if I can get them on Kindle. I've been watching Father Brown mysteries on Netflix lately. May look to see if Netflix has a version of it for viewing.

Jean
Enjoy Ian's ballgame on Friday. Ouch on you DH's hand problem.

gma22 08-01-2019 02:32 PM

Cloudy today but really warm. I was supposed to go across the street and get my second shingles shot but I just don’t feel like it. I’ll get over there tomorrow and get it done. I didn’t know you had to have more than one.

I bought Jack a surprise. A few months ago I got this sample of fudge from a lady in Washington. It was butterscotch and he loved it so I ordered him a couple different kinds. I tasted it and it was spectacular. Hopefully it won’t be melted when it gets here.

Jack ordered me one of those walkers with a seat. It will be used in the house and help me in the kitchen cooking and cleaning up. It is really great because it sits up fairly high so I can use the stove sitting down. Standing for any length of time makes my back hurt because of the way I stand with my bum knee. Maybe I’ll get to enjoy cooking again.

Everyone have a nice afternoon.

Jean 08-01-2019 06:25 PM

Good Afternoon! It’s been a lovely day in my neighborhood! I have putzed the day away and no one would be able to tell what I’ve accomplished. I rearranged some dust by putting some nick-nack things in the SOS box. I know Dear Abby says it is ok to get rid of things that others have given as gifts but that bothers me. I put those away until I can ask the kids the dreaded question, “do you want this?” I know what they will say. Other than that not much is happening here. Bob has spent the afternoon packing what he can and I add things as I think of them if he hasn’t. Ian’s game tomorrow is at noon which works great for it not being late to come home. If they win, I’m not sure if I will go alone or not, depends on how late it is. I really don’t want to drive alone if it’s late.

Ceejay, some evenings I would kill for a Coke but know I will pay for it at bedtime. I don’t know if it was caffeine related but my grandma had a neighbor who baked cookies when she couldn’t sleep. :lol: :congrat: on losing inches! Way to go! Will your niece be staying with you? It’s nice of you to pick her up at the airport. It’s my thumb that hurts and “Gma’s” husband, Jack, who has had the hand surgery.

”Gma,” did you get the very first shingles shot several years ago? I wonder why there are two now, more ingredients? It is bad stuff whatever. Amanda’s dad got them on one side of his head and lost part of his vision. A nurse got them in her ear canal and it took a long time to diagnose because of her symptoms. I hope Jack’s fudge arrives ok. Maybe it will be in a cooler pack. My fudge shop/antique store is closing the end of August because the owner has cancer. :( She was planning to retire at the end of the year but ended up closing during the winter months while she had treatments. I love it because I could buy a couple pieces for Bob. She had all different kinds and it was all delicious. I suggested she make a cookbook with her recipes. Enjoy your new walker! :D

We are going to the park for a taco supper. Every week, during the summer, a different organization prepares food and it supports their cause. Tonight is the art gallery here in town. Enjoy your evening! :wave:

gma22 08-02-2019 07:10 PM

Good evening. Hot and humid today of course. I didn’t go across the street but called them. They acted like they could have cared less.

We bought a new remote for our Direct tv but the stupid thing works except volume and turning tv off. So, I went on chat yesterday yada, yada, yada, she sent me an “advanced” she said would fix the problem. It’s the exact same remote even has the same model number on it. So we now have two. Jack is trying to get it working right now. The old one’s buttons 2, 9, off, were not working. We’ll see how long before he gets royally irked at it. :lol:

I put some new dark clothes in washer, filled with cold water, put a whole thing of vinegar to set the colors and the stupid thing drained right out. My old washer held the water as long as the lid was up and it was off. Hopefully, they are soaked enough they held vinegar water. I’ll wash them in an hour or so.

My cute new deck shoes came and were so narrow I couldn’t get them on. They don’t have wide in that style so have to send them back and order different color and style. I ordered a size larger and a wide so we shall see. I wanted them for the cruise to wear in port. Grasshopper has easy returns though, which is nice.

CeeJay: Somehow I missed both yours and Jean’s last post. So, congrats on inches lost. The ng tube is awful. Makes it hard to talk and you swallow and it’s irritating. If you have nausea, having a foreign tube down your throat makes it worse. They started giving me stuff when they saw what was going on. Hope the nutrients makes him feel better. Have a good time with your niece. You can get Hugh Pentecost on Kindle. I have several of them. Look for his Hotel Beaumont/Pierre Chambrun books.

Jean: I only had my first shot a couple months ago. It must have a booster now or something. My sister in law, retired from nursing and decided to get a food truck. She has no experience, just decided to do it. Her Hubby was against it, but she went down to FL I think (they live in TX,) and it wasn’t drivable so somehow got it home. She has spent hundreds on repairs so far and she posted it broke down and had to be pushed home last night. She runs it with her daughter and your taco comment made me think of it. I imagine her husband is, “I told you so” all over the place. Nuts to go into something food related without a good business plan and back up money to keep you going. She even did a gofundme for a repair awhile back. She needed $1600 and got $300, $200 of which we gave her. I don’t know where she got the rest or any money since then and it’s broken down at least 4 times. I think the guy who sold it saw her coming. She hasn’t even been able to afford to paint it with her chosen name. It’s a real mess. Don’t get too lonely while he’s gone.

Have a good weekend.

Jean 08-02-2019 11:41 PM

Good Evening! We had a weird weather day again. We were leaving at 10 for Ian’s game at noon and I was having trouble deciding what to wear. I have a team t-shirt and opted for jeans in case of rain. I took two nylon jackets, one with a fuzzy lining. It was cloudy and breezy at the game so I was glad for the jeans and nylon jacket! We happened to see Ian as we walked past the dugout so stopped for a quick “good luck” with him. I asked if they had beaten the other team earlier in the season; he kind of laughed and said that game was their 11-1 loss. He didn’t sound very hopeful. As it turned out the pitching mound was higher than what the pitchers have been using and it took a couple innings for them to adjust. Our out field had some great plays and it seems like more players running the bases were dodging basemen between stealing bases, rolling on the ground, and even doing some somersaults. Ian’s team won 9-6 and he had several plays that put players out as well as making 2 of the winning points. Tomorrow’s game is at 5:30 and I am going to ride over with Amanda’s sister and dad. Her mom is with Ian and Zowie at their house while Jason and Amanda are motorcycle riding in Sturgis. I won’t even go there. Another team dad was standing next to Bob and asked where Jason was. When Bob told him, he sent Jason a ripping text telling him he should be ashamed among the rest of his rant.

“Gma,” I can’t put water in my washer to soak clothes, and that’s the one thing I don’t like about it. When it washes I think it looks like just enough water to get the clothes wet, but they come clean so that’s what matters. I asked the pharmacist about Bob having his second shot since he will be having cataract surgery. She said to check with the surgeon, but he has six months after the first one to get it. We have lots of food trucks around the area. Some seem to always have people eating while other do not. We also have a few ethnic grocery stores. Do you have your internet service with your Direct tv? Our cable bill just went up again. :mad: Good luck with the remotes! I didn’t pick up the gift shop money today so will have that to do Monday. Wednesday is a PEO meeting with a state rep. She goes over our books to make sure everything is in order; we meet with her in the morning at the president’s home, have lunch there then go to another home for our regular meeting. I am filling in for the treasurer again so it will be a long day I think. I have lots of sorting I can do as well as read and color. ;)

Since I didn’t get much done around here today I need to get busy tomorrow before we leave for the game at 3. Bob is leaving at 5 and I know I won’t go back to bed. Hope you enjoy a nice weekend! :wave:

Jean 08-04-2019 11:10 AM

Good Morning! It is a beautiful, peaceful morning in my neighborhood with sunshine and lower humidity. I was looking for a church service on tv but couldn’t find one so went on the internet only to find all kinds of them. I watched parts of three different services but still didn’t really find what I wanted. I need to watch the whole service from beginning to end. Just a very few were listed as being a traditional service. On a different note, our local church provided 461 free :rolleyes: backpacks filled with school supplies yesterday. The child had to be with an adult to qualify.

Bob and Beth arrived in Canada safely and she sent a couple pictures. The owners provide a loaf of fresh homemade bread upon arrival and Beth said it was still warm from the oven. :T Today they fish!

Ian’s team lost their game yesterday, 6-3. :( They fought hard but without their best pitcher I think they felt defeated going into the game. Again Ian played well hitting grounders each time and bringing runners in. They play again this afternoon to determine 3rd or 4th place. I am not going but will watch the livestream. We went out to eat after the game and he told me he isn't going to play basketball this year. I am really disappointed but kind of knew it was coming since he started playing later than his friends and many have dropped out in favor of other sports. He mentioned the coach is a real stickler on open gym time over the weekends, no matter if the kids had family plans or involved in other activities. So it is on to football, :hyper: first game is August 30 so hopefully the weather will be good!

I need to get dressed. I think I dropped an earring in the dishwasher, :eek: I left them on the counter and now am missing one. The counter is speckled/dark and things blend in so hard to see sometimes. I think I ran the dishwasher afterwards but don’t remember any grinding noises. :crossed: I need to check under the stove. Hope you all enjoy a relaxing Sunday! :wave:

ceejay52 08-04-2019 11:20 PM

Hello
Don't think I posted yesterday but I'm here tonight.
Picked up niece at the airport yesterday then went to visit with BIl. He was in very good spirits and the nutrition that is in his IV"s are doing wonders. More news on the tumor. His oncologists thinks that the tumor has shrunk enough to do surgery but will find out what his surgeon will say on Monday.
Went to church this morning. Went by the hospital to check on sis and bil. Sis was having gut problems and opted not to go out to eat with us. She went home and I told the kids that I can't pay for every ones lunches and I felt the tension there. The girls picked a very expensive place to eat. They always do if mom is going to buy their lunch. I don't have the money sis has and I want them to know that. And they are all working.
Niece is spending the night with her oldest brother. Not the one who stayed with me for awhile.
Will be going for my cataract evaluation in the morning. I'm getting a friend from church to take me. I can't depend on my niece. She did call and tell me that if I could come and pick her up in the morning at her brothers that she would take me. That doesn't work for me for some reason.
The house will be locked until I come back home. I've given both the nephew and her a key last year and it has not been returned so I don't have another one to be given. She is at my mercy. Brother in law had to give me his key to have to use until I have some more made.

Jean 08-05-2019 06:52 PM

Good Afternoon/Evening! We were supposed to have heavy rain and wind this afternoon but so far nothing has happened. The sun has disappeared and it’s very humid but the clouds are poofy white ones. We balanced at church this morning on the first try. A teacher, (who was not a very good teacher, may she Rest In Peace) died not long ago. She had no children and her husband drowned, a few years ago, after he fell off the dredge barge into the lake. She left the church $250,000! She was one to come in on December 30th and give $100 for her yearly giving. She was Beth’s kindergarten teacher and she didn’t want any room mother (me!) to help with anything, unlike every other teacher. She eventually was asked to resign which I’m sure was traumatic for her. There wasn’t much to count from the gift shop since the big sale a week ago. I just got a text from Beth; fishing was good again today and they saw four bears including a mom and two cubs swimming. The bears would be more fun for me than the fishing! :) I’ve done some laundry and vacuumed the fur bunnies. I really need to do some serious dusting. :woohoo:

Ceejay, I’m glad your bil is feeling better. I hope he gets a good report from the surgeon today! I certainly don’t blame you for being up front about paying for everyone’s lunch. :) Do you think your sister’s stress/emotions affect her stomach? I know some people react that way or have headaches, etc. I hope she is feeling better. How did your cataract appointment go? Good, I hope! Good luck with the key dance.

Hope all have had a good day and enjoy your evening! :wave:

gma22 08-05-2019 09:35 PM

Good evening. Boy was it hot here today. The ac thermostat couldn’t get below 84 until the sun went down. We face east/west so get the sun all day, front then back. It’s finally cooled off.

Jack took off half day to go to dr. Dr says he has what is called, “trigger finger.” There is a tendon that runs the length of the palm and it has like a casing around it. When that casing gets enflamed and swells, the middle finger curls up and sticks in place. He’s been in pain for weeks and like I said before he has to go see his ortho dr. He goes there on Thurs. He’ll have to take a vacation day. He doesn’t want to lose his bonus day by taking sick time. Besides they can only do two things, cortizone shot or surgery. He’ll need to save his sick time if they have to do surgery.

We’re sitting here watching the ballgame but I imagine Jack will go to bed soon.

CeeJay: That’s great to hear about your bil. Sure hope they can do surgery and get it removed. Pretty cheeky to expect someone else to pay for your meal just because your mother always does. They aren’t kids but grownups. They should be paying for yours! Best thing I ever did was get cataract surgery. It’s great not having to wear anything but readers. Wishing the best for your appt.

Jean: I know you kind of hate Ian playing football. Just have to pray God will protect him. Sounds like they’re having a good time. I’m like you, I’d enjoy watching the bears. Jack doesn’t do any fishing, hunting, etc. I am definitely not a camper even a cabin. We did that when I was a kid, but just not my thing. Wow, nice gift for your church.

You all have a good evening!

ceejay52 08-05-2019 09:51 PM

Evening folks
Bil's surgeon thinks the tumor should reduce some more. That means more chemo. Sigh. I had such high hopes for him yesterday. He got sick again yesterday. He told me he stopped having bowel movements so they did an upper GI today but no results back yet. The surgeon will more than likely do some type of surgery to keep that bowel open. I'm trying to hang onto that little ray of hope. At least he has had a couple of good days.
The ophthalmologist told me today that my cataracts are ready to come off. I'm scheduled to have my left eye done on the 22nd. I'm ready to have this done and out of the way.

Jean
Glad you got to go to Ian's game.

ceejay52 08-08-2019 11:15 AM

My niece has been in town this week so I've been doing some things with her. Yesterday she and my great niece was here.
It's raining this morning. but I think I will get out and go to the gym. I've been letting myself go and I feel horrible. I've gained 2 pounds.
My trip tot the ophthalmologist was a bit exhausting. I had a lot of simple test but my cataracts are ready to come off. My left eye will be first on August 22. I will get a friend from church to take me.

Bil didn't get good new from his surgeon. But he did put a stent in his upper intestine to let his food go down. He has resumed his chemo today.

Jean 08-08-2019 05:50 PM

Good Afternoon! It has been a hazy kind of day with sunshine but not bright sunshine. The humidity is down again so have the sliding doors and windows open. The birds are happy chippers too. Yesterday was a long day and I was ready for bed early. I started the day at the dentist; an appointment I had on the calendar but had spaced it off worrying about the PEO meeting. We had an officer’s meeting with a state representative in the morning, and I was substituting for the treasurer. She was so worried that she had all the necessary member paperwork and financial records in order. Basically the purpose of the meeting was if the officers had any questions about their office, etc. The rep didn’t even look at my books, just asked how I did the job when I filled in. We had a salad lunch then moved to another house with a beautiful view of the lake for our regular meeting. Here the rep critiqued a faked initiation ceremony which we passed with flying colors. Today I have just made myself do some laundry and pick up the clutter. I had ordered something for Maddy and never received it but, of course, it was charged to my credit card. I spent some time jumping through the hoops to dispute that and have it charged back to the company. They never answered my emails and there was no tracking number on the “it has been shipped!” No body I talked to spoke English very well so I was frustrated by the time I got done.

“Gma,” I feel for Jack with his finger! Sometimes my thumb is so tight I have to use my other hand to unbend it. I need to visit my favorite doc but have just been putting it off. We watched Little League tournaments the other night and some of the pitchers could pitch so fast! They were fun to watch. My idea of camping is the Holiday Inn! The fishing resort cabins are nice but they are out in the “sticks,” no shopping centers. They get mail three times a week but UPS and Fedex deliver every day. They both brought home their limit in fish and Beth is ready to plan next years trip. :lol:

Ceejay, I am sorry about your bil getting sick again. I think that and the bowel problems go along with the chemo. I’m glad they could do something to help him. I know my mom had a blocked bowel a couple times and ended up in the hospital. Radiation has it’s negative side effects too. :( Bob’s cataract evaluation is the 20th, will think of you on the 22nd. You will do fine!

I have ave laundry in the dryer that should be done so better get it out and folded. They are Bob’s yard working and fishing clothes. Hope you enjoy the rest of the day! :wave:

Jean 08-09-2019 10:50 AM

Happy Friday! It’s sunny and cool, a lovely quiet morning in my neighborhood. I am dressed, makeup on, breakfast dishes cleared, and washed/dried a load of clothes. We have no tv this morning so Bob left for the office early rather than check local news. The robo calls have already started this morning with three right in a row. I can block 250 calls but the locations just come up with new numbers. :( The election is a year from now, right? I wish FB would ban all political ads and opinions!!

“Gma,” you asked when the kids go back to school and I don’t remember if I answered. Our local students, Maddy and Kolby go back on Friday the 23rd. Ian and Zowie start the new year on Wednesday the 21st. Teachers always preferred starting on Wednesdays but the calendar didn’t always work in their favor.

Not much newsy this early in the morning from Iowa. The tree stump removal guy is supposed to come this morning; there goes my “quiet.” :lol: Enjoy your day whatever you decide to do. :wave:

gma22 08-09-2019 03:16 PM

Good afternoon girls! We have had rain off and on today but it’s moving out I think. We have grocery shopping this weekend and hopefully get the car washed.

I found the cutest little black dress with a sheer piece right at the bottom and a matching jacket to the sheer piece. I had a $30 rewards certificate I needed to spend or lose it and so with it, a buy one get half off offer, a coupon for $30 off $50 spent, my perks card of 10% off and free shipping, I got a $170 dress/jacket for about 65% off. I found a cute pair of black dress shoes at Nordstroms to go with it.

Jack’s hand appt came out fine. The doctor knew what he was doing so it wasn’t as painful as other cortisone shots he’s had. Dr said it should last about 4 months then he’ll have to have surgery on it. We waited forever for him. He was at another clinic across town and they lost power. He had patients so had to wait for power to come back on. That meant he was an hour behind plus had to drive all the way across town. Our 1 pm appt ended up being 3 o’clock. Jack took a vacation day so he just waited.

CeeJay: I sure hope they can get his intestinal issue straightened out. It can cause so many things to happen when it doesn’t work right. He sure has been through a lot already. You’ll be so happy when you can see better. One thing that improved for me was night driving. We are not out at night much, but I had a real hard time seeing at night before the surgery.

Jean: Don’t wait too long. His doctor told him waiting can eventually cause figure problems to become permanent and then nothing helps. I agree with you. Roughing it for me would be Red Roof Inn over Embassy Suites! :lol: I get all the political crap through email. You’re right about them just changing and calling again. I don’t get as many as Jack but I have a call block app on my phone from ATT. :lol: The phone just rang and came up “spam risk.” Guess they’re reading my post.

Everyone have a good weekend!