Old 04-25-2019, 02:52 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias — #40

Good Afternoon! We got up to rain this morning but the sun is now shining. This was my once a month coffee date this morning so all I have accomplished is a load of laundry and lunch for Bob. Actually, he warmed up his own leftovers himself. I had a bagel at coffee and not a bit hungry.

I need to get clothes in the dryer and start another load. Enjoy the rest of your terrific Thursday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #2  

Ceejay, we posted just a few minutes apart. Our cable bill just went up again and every time I call about reducing the number of channels (Mexican and music for starters) they tell me we already are on just the basic lineup. Right now we pay $160 for cable, internet, and phone. A couple of the agents Bob works with have some attachment they bought that allows them to run their tv channels through their computer for a lot less money. They don’t have landline phones and we aren’t giving that up as long as Bob is still working. I am not that smart! Your tuna salad sounds good and so does the chicken and rice casserole. I am hungry for potato salad too! Bob is going with a tractor friend to Wisconsin tomorrow to pick up a restored tractor; they are leaving at 5:30 am so I will be home alone all day. The dryer is buzzing so need to get the jeans out, hope they are dry! Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 04-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #3  

Good morning ladies. It rained here all day yesterday, but supposed to be nice all weekend. We’re going to get both cars washed since it’s going to be nice and I told Jack last night he can go to uhaul and buy a bunch of boxes to get started on the clean up upstairs. It will take a long time, but it has to be done.

I had $70 in rewards cash from Penneys that was expiring so of course I bought handbags. I got some cute ones on clearance. I have been trying to get crossbody bags that are smaller because of having to use a cane.

Tonight is pot roast, carrots and potatoes in the crockpot. Already got that set up. Jack and I are both trying to lose weight as he wants to lose about 30-40 lbs before the cruise. I have no number in mind, just want them to go down.

I have had breakfast, (an orange and hardboiled egg) and am going to try and tackle the kitchen this morning. I have been having an awful time with my knees lately which cause my back to hurt so we’ll see how it goes. I should go out and respray the weeds again since it rained yesterday.

CeeJay: Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Never heard of using flour tortillas as dumplings, interesting. My goal is much more vegetables. It’s not that I don’t like them, but just fixing them for every meal is a pain sometimes. I have been eating salads with meals mostly and adding raw veg to them. I make my own salad dressing and though cal and such about the same because of the oil and ketchup, I used Stevia instead of sugar. I like the oil style french dressing and I bought two small cruet sort of containers that hold a cup each. One bath makes two cups so just right for the containers.

Jean: I think bleeding the brakes has to do with releasing accumulated air in the brakes. Air in brakes makes them kind of “spongy” when you press the brake pad. Not a successful shopping trip. I have a pair of dress shoes coming I don’t know if I’ll be able to wear because they have a heel. My knee may not allow me to walk in them, but I hope so. Did I miss why you need a white dress? I am going to wait until the first of the year to get dress clothes for the cruise. I think we sent about 10 prs of shoes back when I was buying them for my friend. It was a back and forth, but we finally have her all set now. I even packed them in her suitcase with all her clothes so we could weigh the suitcase to make sure she was under the 50 lb limit.

Well I better get the day going. Have a nice weekend.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! We had sunshine this morning but the clouds moved in after lunch. Northern Iowa is in a winter storm watch tonight. I have been up since 4:30 this morning. Bob wanted to get up that early to have coffee and toast before leaving on his travel adventure. The tractor is in Wisconsin “somewhere” and he figured a fifteen hour ride coming and going. I dusted and vacuumed the main level, picked up the gift shop money and took it to the bank on my way to the grocery store. We were out of fresh fruit, bread, and milk; I try to avoid the grocery store on the weekend if possible. We were supposed to go to Zowie’s soccer game yesterday but she has shin splints from running in track so couldn’t play. I was surprised that track and soccer are going on at the same time.

“Gma,” it has cooled off quite a bit and the furnace just came on. Crazy weather continues! I have a wild, multi colored summer purse but it is too big since I downsized because of my shoulder. I really like my Baggallini purse but it’s black and not very summery. I am on a search! Bob just called and they were getting gas; they had crossed the Mississippi River by Dubuque (opposite side of the state from us) and guessing they should be home around ten. He’s driven the whole way! The guy who bought the tractor is the same age but just had his shoulder replaced so didn’t think he could drive that far and asked Bob to go with him. I couldn’t find where I said I needed a white dress. I try to go back and read what I wrote but often the iPad puts in words that make no sense or not what I intended. I don’t need a dress! I was looking for something for church pictures next week but think I’ll wear a top I have. Not looking forward to that at all. I had a perm a couple weeks ago and it is still too tight. The hairdresser offered to “do it” the day of the pictures and I thought to myself “not on your life lady!”

Think I will have popcorn for supper and call it good. Hope you have enjoyed a nice day!
Old 04-27-2019, 09:37 AM   #5  

Good morning ladies. Gonna be a cloudy but nice day today here. Jack is up showering then he is heading out to the grocery store and getting the cars washed. There is a couple guys that wash cars on the weekend in one of the shopping areas so Jack is gonna see if they are there and have them wash the mks. He’ll take the mariner to the regular car wash. He wants to cook steaks out tonight so he can have at it! He can have baked potato and I’ll make myself a nice salad.

I have been having a lot of headaches because pollen is so high here right now. I guess I should start taking a regimen of Zyrtek. I take so many meds/supplements I hate to add another, but my nose runs constantly, sneezing and the headaches so I need to do something.

Jean: It’s tiny but I posted a picture of one of the handbags. It’s really spring colored. I too had to get something smaller because of my shoulder and needing crossbody so my right hand is free. I assume Bob is riding the tractor or is he just driving with a trailer for it? Wish I could eat popcorn, but it and my gut don’t agree most of the time. It has been protesting lately because I have upped my fiber, fruits and veg quite a bit and changed to whole wheat products. I hope it settles down soon. I got a good laugh about your hair stylist. Maybe you’ll have a miracle and it will relax before pictures. I hope Zowie is ok. Shin splints aren’t dangerous but sure can be painful. Jackson called me a few days ago to thank me for his Easter money and I ask him if he was close to buying the game console he wanted. He said he still needed about a $100 dollars. I told him he had a birthday coming up and would probably reach his goal then. We talked for a few minutes. He will be 12 in June. Thomas turns 19 in June. Where did the years go?

You all have a good Saturday!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 030359F1-4875-4D93-A3FC-E714FFA466C3.jpeg (18.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-27-2019, 09:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

GMA
I love the purse. I need something smaller. I don't carry a lot of things anymore, mainly my credit card holder and my phone. The pollen has been bad this year. My car was covered in it last week when I finally washed it. I need to clean off the deck furniture too.

Jean
Did your DH have to drive the tractor back or did they haul it? Hope they hauled it.

I've had a busy couple of days but can't remember much of what I did but work in the yard. I did trim the burning bushes and that was a job. They grew 6 inches since BIL cut them back last fall. Now I need to get the grass and weeds out of that bed.
This morning I went to my nephews son's soccer games. It was cool but I wore long sleeves. Both had a game about an hour apart. After the games my sis, BIL and I went to eat pizza. Yes, I know it wasn't on the list of things to eat. This afternoon I decided to work in the yard. I cleaned out grass and weeds from around two trees in the backyard. I reset the border around both tree's. Think I will fill that up with some more dirt or mulch.
I'm to play at opening in the morning. Our regular pianist isn't going to be there.
Going to take my shower and practice the piano one more time before I go to bed. Hope I don't freak out like I do at times.

Last edited by ceejay52; 04-27-2019 at 09:35 PM.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:08 PM   #7  

Good Evening! It’s been another rainy, cold, and a very windy day . . . with a little snow thrown in. It was still visible along the side of our barn this afternoon. Definitely a crappy day! I washed the sheets on the bed, finished making the potato salad I started last night, and make sloppy joes for lunch. The afternoon I spent dozing in the chair while Bob snoozed on the couch. Even Ernie slept most of the day. I think our getting up at 4:30 yesterday caught up with us today! Neither one of us was motivated to do much.

“Gma,” Zyrtec is what the allergist told me to take. It does help the sneezing, for me at least, I haven’t had the sinus pressure headache lately either. Bob took turns driving the pickup pulling the trailer to haul the tractor. It would have taken days for him to drive the tractor home, not to mention it would probably need new tires after that long ride. The other guy has had a hip, both knees, and now a shoulder replaced. He didn’t think he could drive that far in one day. His wife doesn’t like pulling the empty trailer because it is a bouncy ride. Zowie’s game today was cancelled because they got more snow than we did. She was happy because she really wanted to play. She is hoping to be able to run track and play soccer next week. Hard to believe Jackson is going to be 12. Time flies! I like your purse! Did you order it online or find it in a store?

Ceejay, yes Bob and his friend hauled the tractor. They left here at 5:30 am and didn’t get back home until 10:15 pm, stopping long enough to put gas in the truck. Your yard is keeping you busy but it will look so nice when you get it all done. I bet your yard exercise will offset the pizza you ate. Going to soccer games and eating pizza with your family sounds like fun. Good luck at church tomorrow, you will do fine!

I am off to put clean sheets on the bed; I like to let the bed air when I wash sheets but then it’ll be almost bed time when it gets made again. Hope you enjoy a nice Sunday!
Old 04-28-2019, 04:40 PM   #8  

Afternoon everybody! We are sitting watching the Cubs game. We had early dinner. I made taco salad for early dinner. I bought these stone taco bowls at Pampered Chef and make my own taco salad shells. They are smaller, little bigger than a cereal bowl and fit a regular size flour tortilla perfectly. I’d eat the spinach ones but Jack won’t and waste of money because they’d spoil before I ate them all.

I cleaned the downstairs, Jack vacuumed and I mopped so that’s done. I am getting my nails done tomorrow and in the afternoon I have a waxing appointment. WednesdayI need to call and make a dr appointment as it’s time for another one. I get tired of it sometimes.

CeeJay: I am sure your yard will be lovely when you get done. A treat once in awhile won’t deep six you unless you keep it up. Hope your piano playing went off with a hitch.

Jean: I bought the handbag at Penneys online. I got two flowered ones and a blue and white striped. This next weekend is sheet changing day again. A lot of places got snow again. It’s fairly warm here. We turned on the AC today when I had the oven on as it really heats up the house. Glad Bob got back ok.

Everyone have a good afternoon.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:38 PM   #9  

Good Evening! It has been a ho-hum kind of day around here. No rain but windy and cold, too cold to do anything outside. We skipped church; easy to do since we aren’t crazy about the pastor. Wish he would move on but like Bob says, we could get someone worse.

”Gma,” there is nothing on tv but I did find an old Undercover Boss episode we hadn’t seen before. Usually we find college softball or baseball but not tonight; golf, hockey, or football talk were the choices besides “blood and guts.” Taco salad sounds good! Even though we have many Mexican restaurants I miss our Taco Johns that closed over a year ago. I’m hoping to go early to Maddy’s game and see if Penney’s has any purses for me. I like an outside pocket for my keys or phone. I have a bad habit of putting the fob in my jacket pocket then on into the house. If I change jackets and Bob is going to drive, it’s a mad search! My furnace is running!

The dishwasher is done so will unload that and take a pile of magazines out for recycling tomorrow. Enjoy the rest of the evening!
Old 04-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #10  

Good afternoon. It’s warm here today, 81 right now. I have the ceiling fan and our two big fans going. It’s ok so far. I did my daily chores and got the dusting done. I was going out today, but woke up really shaky so cancelled my waxing appt and booked for tomorrow. I’ll go in the morning and get my nails done. I need a new set and want to get my toes painted now that we’ve moved into sandal weather.

I was watching a show on the Smithsonian channel about Salem, but it got boring and I turned it off. You pay big bucks for tv, have 260 channels and nothing to watch. I usually read, knit, or play app games.

Jean: We go to a place called Albuelos for mexican food. It is a small chain, but they have good food. I do, but Jack doesn’t like the mom and pop ones here. You said the character is Eve in your book. Is she a police lieutenant in NYC from the future? If it is what I think, I’ve read that whole series and like them a lot. I just finished the latest one. I just finished 7 books in a series written late 1800’s early 1900’s about a young woman who is a timepiece magician. It is set in London and it is pretty good. It involves the guilds back then and is basically a murder mystery series. I have one coming out soon where the main character is a midwife and her husband a retired NY police officer from Teddy Roosevelt’s time. They are a good series too. I like series books more than just a single. I have nearly 500 books on my ipad and I have kindle unlimited and have about 50 I’ve read on it. I have always been a big reader, even when I was a kid.

Everyone have a good day!
Old 04-29-2019, 07:36 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! We have had wind and sunshine all day. We were supposed to get rain, hard to plan on the weather! Counting went super fast this morning but we couldn’t get into our respective programs on the computer so my co-counter took the money to the bank and I came home. The computer tech walked in as I was leaving but no one called me to come back so assume it didn’t get fixed. They had trouble off and on last week too. I ran a couple errands after lunch and did some laundry.

“Gma,” my furnace is still running! You are right about nothing on tv! I used to watch the Food Network even though I don’t like to cook. There were several different chefs who had half hour shows but now it seems like it’s more marathon Chopped, Beat Bobby Flay, or the goofus who wears his sunglasses backwards. I did see Emeril on the schedule, haven’t seen him in forever. That is the right Eve; the name of this book is Connections in Death. Once I start one of “those” books I have a hard time putting it down. I can put off doing chores very easily.

Bob is at a manor board meeting but should be home soon. Sometimes they get a light meal and other times cheese, meat, crackers, and fruit so I never plan a meal. I bought pears and honey crisp apples so think I will have cheese, crackers, and fruit too! Enjoy your evening and have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!
Old 04-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #12  

Default Dealing with scammers

Good morning
I had a very bad day yesterday dealing with what I thought was Microsoft. I had downloaded one of there online office programs and it was due to expire soon. They called to inform me that if I didn't pay for it or unintstall it that they would charge my account 300 dollars per month until I did so. I text them back and told them that I Had uninstalled the program. The they text back and told me to be at the compute for them to finish uninstalling. ne Come to find out they wanted in my computer to scam me. They wanted to refund me a certain amount but wanted me to type in their box the amount of refund. well when I did they typed in another zero. I was furious. They proceeded to tell me to go to the bank and withdraw that amount and deposit it in another of their accounts. It all was becoming very clear to me what was going on. After 2 hours of this, I relented and went to the bank and asked for the money to be refunded to them. The teller looked at their account and said you are being scammed. I had the scammer on the phone and he was telling me that he would freeze my account. The teller heard him And the teller told him that he could not do that. The teller told me I needed to close out my account and start a new one. The scammers also told me that they would freeze my social security account. While I was at the bank I text my nephew who works for social security to check and see if any one had froze my account. He text back and said nope no one can do that. They had their bluff in on me good time. I was yelling and crying all at the same time. They were pretending to be in my bank account. The teller at the bank told me that no money had been transferred to my account. What a relief to hear that!
They did lock up my laptop which I'm exrtremely mad about but this will be the last they hear from me. I will not answer any phone calls unless I know their number.
We have a big bunch of rain on the radar that is almost here. I'd like to get out and run some errands but I'm afraid I will be caught in the heaviest down pours.
I'm doing this on my tablet.

Ladies I hope you have a v ery good day and thank yoou for letting me rant.

Last edited by ceejay52; 04-30-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #13  

Good Morning! We are back to a gloomy day with a few raindrops randomly falling. I went back to church and did my posting that I couldn’t do yesterday. But I am !!!!! The program is called Church Windows and EVERY time they do an update, it screws up how I do my part! This time they have “made” more work for me. For people who use their assigned envelopes there is a number on them and if I type in that number, their name automatically enters. Otherwise I have to type in the name. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry who ever signed the registration book is on my list, no matter if they are a member or not nor if they give money or not. Now some of the numbers work as they should while others do not, so I have to double check names and correct them if the number isn’t matching the correct person. Also some use nicknames, like Bob instead of Robert, to add to the challenge. Most of those I do know. Anyhow it is what it is.

Ceejay, oh boy, do I feel for you and your mess! I’m glad your bank and your nephew were able to help you! Did you end up having to close your account and open a new one? Hope your day is going better today! I had Microsoft 10 (?) on my laptop and it disappeared. I don’t use it very often but sometimes do a report or letter so do use it. The icon disappeared and/or I am too dumb to find it. Bob couldn’t find it either so was kind enough to take it to the computer guru on his way to the office. He just bought a laptop, for his personal business, from them so hope they can fix mine. I hate when my laptop has a mind of it’s own and I try so hard not to do anything to change the settings.

Maddy has a soccer game this afternoon so am kind of hoping it might be rained out. Sitting outside in this weather won’t be fun, definitely wearing my winter coat and taking a blanket! Hope you enjoy the rest of a terrific Tuesday!
Old 04-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #14  

Good afternoon. Just got back from my waxing appt and Jack should be home in about an hour. I’ll go to get my nails tomorrow. It’s a cloudy day, but pretty warm. Looks almost all of the weeds are totally dead. I need to spritz a couple that didn’t get weed killer.

Jack lost 5 lbs and I lost 11, but that’s what I always do lose a lot in the beginning. I called and made a dr appt for next week so we shall see what I weigh then. It will be my last appointment with my doctor. He finishes his residency and moves to Dallas in June. Gonna miss him because I really liked him.

CeeJay: You poor thing. You may need to take your laptop to a computer place and get it cleaned up. These jerks do this all the time. My suggestion is not to buy or get stuff online. You never know who’s running a scam. Buy hard copy of programs like at Best Buy, etc. I am so sorry this happened to you. Hope things get better soon. I bought a few boxes of different Atkins bars, snacks and such so I could have a treat now and then. They are supposed to be low in carbs so we shall see.

Jean: I bought some fancy whole wheat crackers I thought were thin and they were almost like cookies. When we go to shop this weekend, I’m going to see if they have something better. I like fruit, cheese sticks and a few crackers for lunch sometimes. I bought some bartlett pears two weeks ago that haven’t ever ripened. I have never had it not work to put them in a brown paper back and close it up. Usually only takes a couple days. You’re wearing a winter coat and I drove around today with the windows and the sunroof open.

Everyone have a nice afternoon.

Last edited by gma22; 04-30-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:42 PM   #15  

Default Feeling better

I'm feeling better about my ordeal with the scammers. And yes I did have to close out the bank accounts and get new ones. I was very appreciative to the girls at the bank that I bought them pizza today. They were appreciative but not as much as I was.
I took my laptop to the Geek squad and they are wiping it clean and we are starting over. I haven't answered one phone call today with a long distance number unless I know it.
We had severe thunderstorms last night and some tornadoes in the area. I didn't suffer any property damage. My nephew called and said he was coming to get me to let me stay with his family last night. The storms got rough. I didn't sleep well last night because of the storms and I was in a different bed and house. I really do love his little boys. One just turned 5 and the other will turn 7 in June.
Sis and bil came and got some things out of the garage to put in her garage sale Saturday. I rearranged my things and got rid of some other things that have been in there since I've moved here.

GMA
I'd rather have the Atkins shakes and bars than the ones on the progam I'm using.
Wow, a 10 pound weight loss is good. Congratulations. Have you started a new knitting project?

Jean
I'm glad that they hauled the tractor back home. That would have been an slow drive home. That method of accounting doesn't sound to easy. I'm glad you understand the process.

Snowell
Hello

Last edited by ceejay52; 05-01-2019 at 09:43 PM.