Old 05-01-2019, 11:35 PM   #16  

Happy May Day! Another cold and gloomy day in my neighborhood today. We had our church pictures taken this afternoon. I didn’t like any of them so picked out the best of the bad for the church directory. I didn’t feel the photographer paid any extra attention to detail as far as wrinkles in clothes or unattractive poses. Later we had a going away get together for one of our bell members. Two others had had their pictures taken this afternoon and felt it was a big rip off. Our other books all had pictures of Sunday School classes, the bell choir, choir, etc., but this one is strictly people and teeny tiny pictures in a teeny tiny book. We get a “free” 8 x 10 and I asked if we could change it to a 5 x7. “Not possible” but we could order a 5 x 7 if we wanted one. We didn’t and I said we would file the big one with the rest in a basement box because we don’t have room for that size of a picture. A total waste as far as we were concerned.

”Gma,” wow, 11#s gone, that’s great! Are you following a specific plan? I’ve been having good luck with pears lately but not so much with grapes. It seems like they get soft after a couple days. Bob isn’t a big grape fan (would like them peeled ) so I try to buy just a few at a time. I wore a summer top for pictures . . . and my winter coat! Came home and put my sweatshirt back on and turned up the furnace! I was cold; even turned my bun warmers on in the car

Ceejay, glad you are feeling better in spite of the spammer hassle. It’s good you closed your accounts and had your computer cleaned just in case. Bob had the gal at the office look at my laptop and she found my windows in no time. I feel so stupid when it comes to computer innards! I’m glad you weren’t home alone during the storm. It was nice of your nephew to invite you to stay at his house. The church accounting goes pretty smoothly as long as I get the right money in the right account.

Not much else is newsy from Iowa tonight.Tomorrow is Zowie’s first soccer game so hoping for warmer weather. Have a terrific Thursday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #17  

Good morning all. We are supposed to get rain today I think through Saturday then a short break then more rain. Temps are creeping into 80’s for highs.

Must be the week for computer stuff. I left at 9:00 yesterday to go and get my nails done, came home, sat down to eat lunch, grabbed my Ipad and no internet. I went and unplugged our router and plugged it back in, nothing. I tried to get in through the pc and same deal. We didn’t come back online until around 10 pm. It sure was a hassle. I was glad I paid bills yesterday early morning because almost everything is paid online.

Jean: You’d think if they want you to buy stuff they’d make some effort. I am kind of combining plans, using the WW point system (old not newest one) with emphasis on staying within my allowable carbs, cutting them down, etc. I had to laugh at Jack. He said his parents wouldn’t believe it if they saw him eating fruit. He’s been having fresh strawberries and blueberries over a scoop of ice cream. I said that he could now shock them even more and eat more veg and he said, “Don’t count on it!” Have you guys had much flooding like some parts of the state?

CeeJay: Oh, I’m glad things are getting straightened out. I get so much stuff it’s unbelievable. I have an app on my Iphone that catches spammers, threats, etc and they don’t even ring, but they keep working around stuff like that. We tend to not answer stuff we don’t recognize and figure if it’s important they’ll leave a message. I get calls for swimming pool stuff all the time and we live in a condo and no pool! My atkins stuff came yesterday so we’ll see over time how I like them.

Everyone have a good day today!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #18  

Good Morning! We had 30 seconds of sunshine this morning and now the clouds have taken over again. Yesterday was sunshine most all day and beautiful. We headed to Zowie’s game by way of Sioux City because the way we usually go (over hill ‘n dale) has a road washed out from the flooding. We got to the field and didn’t see any yellow team shirts showing up. Bob called Jason to be sure we were in the right place which is different from last year. Zowie went home sick from school the day before and still sick. “No one thought to call and tell us. Sorry!” Bob rolls with whatever but I was more than irritated. DIL Amanda is usually pretty good about texting game place or time changes but she is soooooooo busy at work right now. Anyhow, they treated us to supper at a pizza/chicken buffet place then we headed home. My car charging phone cord broke so that is first on my agenda today. Bob is off plowing a field for a farmer who heard he had a plow, which not many farmers do any more I guess. Hope the rain holds off. I am going to get some Johnny Jump Up flowers from a friend to put in a bare garden spot; last night would have been perfect had we not been on a road trip. She works so hope to do it tonight; she has four dogs and I sure don’t want to upset them without her there.

“Gma,” Will and Kolby are terrible when it comes to fruits and veggies. I’m sure Kolby is because he watched and listened to Will when he was little. Will will eat raw carrots if there is dip to go with them and Kolby will eat apples if Beth peels them. Maddy, Ian, and Zowie eat, or at least taste, most everything. Our lake level is up and some farm streams were visibly out of their banks. There is a section of interstate south of Sioux City that is washed out from the Missouri River. We can’t get to Omaha on our usual route so may have to go on detours yet next winter. Davenport made national news when their levee broke flooding downtown businesses. That is in the opposite corner of the state from us and they contend with the Mississippi River. Beth’s office if in Dakota Dunes, north of Sioux City, and she said there was talk of bringing in port-a-potties if they had to shut off their water. I have been getting camping ad emails and we have never camped! When I try to unsubscribe it says “unavailable.” Really?! I should say I’m interested in buying.

I need to get dressed and get moving. Hope you all have a great day and enjoy!
Old 05-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I picked up my computer from Geek Squad this morning. They even cleaned the keys and outside of it. Looks brand new.
I was supposed to go out to my sissy's for a birthday dinner for my nephew tonight but It's been rescheduled for tomorrow night.
Mowed the yard yesterday. The yard looks a lot better. My hips are sore this morning but not sure why. I mowed mainly with the rider.
Yesterday morning at weigh in I had lost 1.5 pounds. I have lost a total of 6 pounds so far. I realize that should be a lot more but I've been procrastinating.
I'm ready for some sunshine but think we are in for another round of rain. Sissy's garage sale may not do well if it is raining on Saturday.

Jean
I would like to have some Johnny Jump ups and some Sweet Williams. I saw some wild Sweet Williams coming back from picking up the computer. Sorry that you grand daughter got sick at school and that no one called to tell you that she would not be at the game.

GMA
I hope I haven't jinxed the computers.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:51 PM   #20  

Good evening. We are just hanging out downstairs until bedtime. Jack is playing freecell on the pc and I have been reading. It started raining today and will keep it up tomorrow so had to push grocery shopping to Sunday and Monday. I refuse to back out to the commissary with cashiering problems and blank shelve spaces, discount or no discount. It is a good 25 miles out there and I’m not going to waste the gas. I did put in a small order at Krogers to get me to Sunday. I’m out of fruit except a few blueberries, my cheese sticks, eggs, and I ordered some wheat thins, some sugar free ice cream and a few other things. Tomorrow is hamburgers day.

Jack got his new reading glasses. They came from China and took a month. He seems to like them as he got one pair tinted to wear out in the sun at the plant. He loses the darn things all the time. I have several cheapo pair. I keep one upstairs, one at my chair, one at the pc, a pair in the kitchen, and a pair in my purse.

CeeJay: Six lbs is great! My current doctor that is leaving next month gives me high fives if I lose even 1 lb. My knees have been hurting so much lately I shake standing on the scales and it gives me an error. Guess we’ll have to see Friday when I go in. Glad your computer is all scrubbed and cleaned in and out.

Jean: I know what Sweet Williams are but what the heck are Johnny Jump Ups? Have too look that one up. I sure hope the government help those folks who’ve lost homes, farm stuff, etc. We are back up over flood level and Memphis in May starts tonight. Gonna be soggy Beale Street Music Festival goers. It seems to rain every year for the music festival, which is down at the park next to the river. We get life insurance ads in the mail from Mutual of Omaha. It started out with one to Jack, then one to him and one to me. It then went to him, me, him with a different spelling of last name. Now we get 4 because they’ve added our son to the mix and he’s not lived at home for 20 some years!

Have a nice weekend everybody.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #21  

Good afternoon. Here all day. Supposed to dry out tonight though. We ate dinner while watching the ballgame and have cleaned it up so just relaxing this evening. Anything with arthritis is aching this evening, probably from the rain.

I typed up my grocery lists so they’re ready to go.

I have Kindle Unlimited and read a freebie and liked it and found her whole series are free so get to read them all. I think CeeJay ask me about my knitting projects. For right now I’m just knitting an all white summer sweater for my girlfriend to take on the cruise next year. I have to think of my next project.

Just wanted to pop in. Have a good evening.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:59 PM   #22  

Good Evening! We had bright sunshine this morning, then the clouds moved in and it looked like rain. Around noon the sun came back out for the rest of the day. It was warm enough for a lightweight sweater, I did some scrambling this morning for something to wear to the birthday party. My stepmom turns 93 next week and her great grandson turned one today. Some extended family and a couple who are friends of my stepsister, and we know, were there too. It was lunch, gifts, cake, and visiting. For some reason I am tired tonight even though we were home mid afternoon. I counted the gift shop money and did a couple loads of laundry. I had my first shingles shot yesterday so both arms are sore; one because of the irritated rotator cuff and the other from the shot. I am putting off asking for another cortisone shot. I don’t know if there is a limit on how many one can have or not. My last one was 18 months ago. My knees are complaining tonight too! Maybe the weather is going to change.

Ceejay, on another loss! Think of six pounds of butter gone forever! The Johnny leaves remind me of Iris leaves and the flowers (which there were none) remind me of little purple, yellow, and white pansies. I don’t know if they will bloom this year after being transplanted or not. Glad you have a clean computer again!

”Gma,” a lot of the Nebraska farms lost livestock and that makes me sad for the panic the animals must have gone through. I think the government reps have been there to estimate the damages. Where would one even begin a clean up that massive when their neighbors are all in the same situation. We get coupons for both Beth and Jason. I just opened a Bath & Body one not realizing it was Beth’s. I was glad I noticed the name so I could give it to her at a game. I see ads for books on recipe emails I get from Taste of Home. I check our library but usually they don’t even have the author. We do have exchange agreements with other libraries but I have never done that. Enjoy your new find!

I am heading to bed! I have been sneezing and blowing more tonight for some reason, makes me tired! Have a relaxing Sunday and enjoy!
Old 05-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #23  

Good afternoon. We went shopping at WM and were lucky to get a new open cashier because they were busy. We went to Penneys but they don’t open until noon on Sundays, duh! So we came home and will go back out after they open. We’ll do Fresh Market tomorrow after he gets home from work. Jack had a bowl of chicken soup and I had a slice of rye bread and a cheese stick for lunch. Kind of a weird lunch, but I like fresh rye.

I am trying a new recipe for chicken. I messed with it to make it for “diet” friendly. It’s called smothered chicken. I can cut calories by air frying the chicken, cutting out the oil and butter, use 2% instead of whole milk. Jack gets mashed potatoes and a veg and I get salad. I used my walker to weigh myself and if even close have lost quite a bit. It can’t be that far off as the scales at the doctor’s office is a platform style with hand holds.

Jean: I have got to call around and see about the new shingles shot and get a tetanus. I just haven’t done it. Hope you had a nice time at the party. Don’t know where your cortisone shot goes, but Jack’s ortho doctor says because the needle is thick, it puts holes in the area of the shot and weakens it and it becomes like swiss cheese so he is leery about giving them very often. Jack says they hurt too much and don’t last long enough to get them so he just suffers. The series I am currently reading is a rich lady lawyer murder mystery. Just fun read not rocket science.

You all have a nice Sunday.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #24  

Morning
I've ha d a busy week end attending birthday parties. My sis had my nephew's birthday event on Saturday night. We went out to eat and back to her house for birthday cake. Yesterday afternoon we went to my sister's granddaughters birthday party which was an inside pool party. The chlorine was so strong I couldn't stay in the pool area so I waited out in the waiting room. I may have gained the 1.5 pounds lost last week. But that will come off soon enough.
Church was yesterday morning and luckily the regular pianist was there. I was ready but not mentally.
We had a beautiful day yesterday but woke up to rain this morning. No thunderstorms.
Can't work outside today so I'm going to the gym to get my 30 minutes of exercise. Will also be cleaning house today.

GMA
I have Kindle and may have to look up those books you are reading. I like detective mystery type books.

Jean
I've been on the waiting list for awhile at Walgreens to get the Shingles shot but haven't heard anything. I was #154 on the list. She saidi they got in around 10 vials each order. It may be a while for mine.

Last edited by ceejay52; 05-06-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:26 AM   #25  

Good Evening! Just a quick check in to let you know I am still alive! We counted money at church Sunday afternoon so my Monday started with a trip to the bank to deposit the money. I don’t like to do that because often times the bank doesn’t agree with our figures. I make sure to tell the teller I’m not the one who balances the figures. Then I took the receipts back to church and made a trip to another bank with the gift shop money. By then it was time to head to the P.E.O. Breakfast meeting. The hostess is a lady who likes to entertain with fancy dishes, napkins, serving dishes, fresh flowers, etc. The committee served a ham/asparagus/egg casserole, rhubarb muffins, whipped cream filled strawberries, an interesting cracker with bacon and what looked like it was baked with a brown sugar and butter glaze, it had a spice of some sort - delicious, and ending with a dessert of granola, yogurt that didn’t taste like yogurt, and topped with fresh raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. The meeting was longer than usual and I didn’t get home until after noon. I changed clothes and we headed off to SD for a band concert for 5th-12th grades. The last piece included all the bands and three directors keeping them all together. It was fun! Today I went for a much needed pedicure and nail fill. They have raised their prices so $58, including tip, I was out the door. Stopped by the library and came home to do a load of laundry. After lunch I took checks to the hospital and we headed to Sioux City. Maddy had a game at 4:30 but was leaving early to go to her choir concert practice at the college before the actual concert at 7. Since she didn’t have any supper we stopped by DQ after the concert. Several other choir members were there so she got to visit with several upperclassmen to make a great end of the day for her.

“Gma,” We made a quick trip to SAMs Club this afternoon and picked up three things: Kleenex, raisin bread, and tiny lemon tea cakes. There was one cashier open and the line was seven people deep with baskets full of groceries. I was so mad, by the time I got to the cashier I just said this self checkout is making it real easy for me NOT to come back! She looked at me kind of stupid like she had no clue what I was talking about. You can get both shots at Walgreens or WM if you prefer. I had a big red circle the size of a tennis ball from the shingles shot and today is the first day, since Friday, that it wasn’t tender to the touch. My cortisone shot goes in my shoulder and lasted well over a year. I don’t baby it much so it probably would last longer if I did.

Ceejay, birthday get together are always fun. I don’t like the smell of chlorine either so I’d have been sitting with you. I was on a waiting list for the shingles shot and think the local pharmacies finally gave up on the lists. I would just ask from time to time if WG had the shots. One time they did but I wasn’t in the mood. This time I had on a sweatshirt but the pharmacist is a young lady and we were in a separate room so I just pulled my arm out of the sleeve. I get the second one in July.

Tomorrow is lunch bunch and more laundry! I am heading to bed! Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!
Old 05-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #26  

Good morning. Had my breakfast, started laundry and watching reruns of, “The Closer.” I am debating cleaning bathrooms upstairs or waiting until weekend. Hmmmm

You know after dealing with SS and Medicare people I now know why this government is so screwed up. Everyone tells you a different story about the same question and you come back full circling still not knowing what’s what. They screwed up my medicare last year and never set it up for two weeks after it was supposed to start so my medical appt still hasn’t been straightened out. On top of that, the convoluted way they go about setting up your SS when you file on yours and your spouse is ridiculous. We are 8 days into the month my SS is supposed to start and they still don’t have it finished. I called them yesterday because they sent a benefit verification letter which showed my benefit only half what it should be. Come to find out they do them separately, but don’t tell you that in the letter. They’re still working on the spousal part.

I have a dr appt on Friday and I’ll give my dr his going away hat. Hopefully it won’t take long. It’s basically for new meds, bp check, blood tests that sort of thing.

CeeJay: Glad you had a nice time at the parties. We are expecting another round of rain for several days.

Jean: I got a laugh over your FB post about procrastinating, especially since you are always super busy. I get furious at stores, but like I tell Jack they could care less whether they lose a customer or not.

You all have a good day. Garnet we miss hearing from you!
Old 05-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #27  

I trimmed some on the bushes in front but didn't get very far. I'm going to borrow my sis's electric trimmers.
Went down to my phone service place to verify that my phone had not been hacked. Been getting a group message from people I've never heard of. While there I purchased the new S10. phone. I'm liking it so far.
There is not a lot going on.

Have a good day.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:24 AM   #28  

Good Evening! It has rained almost all day today. Today was my lunch bunch and I had planned to stop by the grocery store on my way home. It was raining so hard and the parking lot was pretty full so came on home. Guess I will do that first thing in the morning.

“Gma,” I tried to go online and fill out a survey for WM; the checker gave me a paper along with my receipt asking me to do the survey. It froze half way through, after I had typed in why I wouldn’t recommend WM to my friends. Gee, I wonder why. Driving through the parking lot it was mostly out of county license plates. I am surprised the government can do anything right. Last night I asked if Maddy had gotten her driver’s permit replaced. Someone stole her coat with her school ID and driver’s permit, plus money, in a lanyard. Beth said between certain years the state issued the wrong size birth certificates and she was waiting to get them back from the state. She had to send the originals to get the replacements. Scary! There is an older lady who greets people at SAMs Club or else she checks your receipt when you leave the store. I assume she has had chemo treatments because she just has a little fuzz for hair. She always has some sort of animal hat or head gear on. I always comment on it and she says the kids get a big kick out of it. She always has a smile and makes sure to end with a “thank you for shopping at SAMs Club, come back soon!” Such a nice lady!

Ceejay, an electric trimmer would make your trimming bushes chore easier. We don’t have bushes any more because the garter snakes like to crawl and hang in them. Is your new phone an Apple? I got a new iPad the other day and asked if they had a “how to do it” book yet. I had to explain what it was. “No book, you have to look for information online.”

Not much is newsy from here tonight. Hope you enjoy a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Old 05-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #29  

Can't seem to get into a routine. Think it's because of all the rain we have been having.
I went to a music store to see about purchasing a bigger piano keyboard. The one I wanted was not in stock so they ordered it for me. It should be here today according to the text.
I'm going to call Toyota because I got a phone call about my Rav4 being at risk. I don't trust phone calls anymore.

Jean
I don't really want the bushes I have but not sure if sis will let me get rid of them. I'm going to cut them down lower to the ground and not to be so bushy. I'd like to have a flower bed in this spot. I don't like snakes.

GMA
Hello. Hope you doctor's appointment goes ok Friday
Old 05-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #30  

Good Afternoon! The sun has been shining ALL day and NO wind! The sun makes such a difference making everyone happier! I had a training meeting at the gift shop this morning. Starting Monday we will use a computer and ID badge scanner for employee deductions. I won’t have to double check the weekly deduction totals against what is written on the daily sheets. It makes me a little nervous because over the years I have caught a few mistakes coming from the accounting department. However, they assured me that won’t happen with the computer scanning. Afterwards I had coffee there with the two volunteers “working.” It wasn’t busy in either place which is sometimes “normal” for a Friday. I’ve done some laundry this afternoon and counted the gift shop money which didn’t take long since there wasn’t very much. A sale is on the schedule for one day next week. We were supposed to go to an “oldies” music program at the high school tonight but it has been postponed until the 30th.

Ceejay, I know I am a creature of habit but don’t always have a routine per se. Does your new piano keyboard have the 88 keys like a regular piano? Every once in awhile I wish I still had my piano but where it had to sit was not the best location. It was on a wall next to the garage, on cement/laminate floor, and close to the outside door; it was cold in the winter and so-so in the summer. The living room has no wall big enough for it plus hauling it up a few steps. We put flower pots with geraniums in front of the house where the bushes used to be. Bob put rocks all around the house because snakes supposedly don’t like them. I’m with you and do not like snakes, worms too!

Bob offered supper out somewhere so we’re off, not sure where but sounds good to me! Enjoy your evening!

Last edited by Jean; 05-10-2019 at 08:14 PM.