Old 02-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias — #35

Good Morning! It is 45 degrees as I am typing! The wind is blowing now but we got up to thick fog. Our snow is gone again. Yesterday was a very long day for me, and I was more than ready for bed last night. Bob wanted to leave early for the tractor club meeting so I was up early too. The first funeral was at 11; while I was getting ready Bob called wanting me to check the tractor club website calendar. The small town is a big antique collector’s favorite, I guess; it’s little over two hours south of us. Anyhow, the meeting is March 2nd, not February 2nd, so he headed back home. Guess what, I had it written on the “main” March calendar along with the email paperclipped to the page. : D Then our church called asking if he could usher at the 3:00 funeral, which I was planning to attend. Glad I had ironed his white shirt for church today! After the first funeral lunch we headed to our church. I reconnected with an old friend from bowling days who had moved away. I gave her daughter rides to preschool with Jason. Our previous pastor came back to perform the service; we miss him so much and it was fun to carch up with him and his wife. By the time we had cake and coffee afterwards, Bob finished putting the sanctuary back together and helped the funeral guy carry flowers out. We only had a short time until the 5:30 church service so stayed for that. It was nice to sleep later this morning, a rarity for me!

Ceejay, I hope you found your missing papers. I am famous for making a list and losing it along the way. I’m glad you are going to the doctor. I know the cough hangs on for a long time.

Susan, long time no see. You are so dedicated to your exercise regimen. The Alzheimers research study sounds interesting. I’m sorry about your arthritis getting worse. Can new cartilage be grown in a lab and injected where needed? That would be wonderful!

I have laundry going and am going to try and vacuum up some of the bathroom construction grit in the hall. I just have a feeling everything in the bedroom is dusty and I can’t get in there because of tools, sink, vanity, and cupboard.

I need to get busy and accomplish a few things today! Hope you enjoy a relaxing Sunday!

Last edited by Jean; 02-03-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I made it to church this morning but didn't feel like it. I am honestly feeling better now than I have in the two weeks.
Went home with sis after church. She had fixed a roast with all the trimmings. I ate to much. Finally got the medical directives done so now I need to have it notarized and take back to doctor.
There is not any thing on t.v. And I'm not one for football.
The baby shower yesterday was great Our baby got's lots of stuff.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #3  

Good afternoon! I need to set an alarm that goes off in the morning so I get in here and post. Everytime I think about it the phone rings or the mail comes or something else draws me away and then next thing I know I haven’t posted for days.

I have nothing on the agenda this week so I am going to buckle down and clean house. We went this weekend and got the cars washed and I cleaned my car all on the inside so now it’s all “purty” again. I hate Jack using mycar as he always leaves junk in it. I had mail, towels, jacket, hat, drink can, etc, etc.

Susan: Glad you’re ok, but I am sorry you’re having trouble with pain. I can understand. Sometimes my hands hurt so bad I want to scream and my doctor doesn’t want me taking nsaids. I try and do hand exercises to keep them from stiffening up. Sure would be nice if they could crack through Alzheimer causes. It affects so many people.

CeeJay: Glad you’re on the mend. Like I said, this strain this year kicks you in the heiny.

Jean: Sounds like dates got mixed up. If I don’t put stuff on my calendar I will definitely forget. I have alarms for my afternoon meds and a once a week for my Trulicity so I don’t forget. Looks like the north warmed up a bit, but not for long. It is pretty warm here most of the week, which is ok by me.

Everyone have a good evening.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! We have had sunshine all day, and strong cold winds all day. Right now it is 8 degrees with a wind chill of -14. Not a nice day to stand around outside for sure. Church counting went fine this morning but my computer part took a long time because of several memorials and a fund raiser dinner for the youth. Each amount has to be individually entered with a name. I made the gift shop deposit and was going to drop a check off at the hospital but there were three cars in the valet parking line. I didn’t want to walk from the parking lot so came home. We had our PEO meeting at the care center, short and sweet which is what I like. They had a fire alarm alert but we were told we didn’t have to leave the building. We were glad about that! I stopped by the hospital on my way home to drop off the check and put out some new greeting cards. They are $3.00 a piece so it will be interesting to see if they sell. We have some $.99 ones that don’t sell as well as some $2.00 cards which do sell. They weren’t my idea if they don’t sell.

Ceejay, I’m not a football fan but the Super Bowl was on here last night. Not understanding the game, I made the comment it didn’t look very exciting. Bob agreed but didn’t change the channel. I hope you continue to feel better each day. A roast beef dinner sounds good, better if I didn’t have to fix it.

”Gma,” I finally vacuumed the dust and chunks in the hall and entry. I will be glad when the bathroom is done! It seems like it is taking forever. Bob washed my car and his truck, then it snowed the next day. It melted right away so streets were sloppy and vehicles are both super dirty again. I use the alarm on my phone a lot. It is a dog barking, also for text messages. If I happen to be in a store people look around for the dog. I just say it is the closest I will ever be to owning a dog. I try to write everything on a desk calendar and also have one in my purse. I know I could do it on my phone but don’t trust that as much.

I have a load of laundry that should be ready for the dryer. Hope you have a nice evening!
Old 02-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #5  

I went to the doctor this morning thinking I had an appointment but evidently I didn't hit the right thing and it didn't shot much else is going ow in the appointments. The nurse practitioner saw me this morning and gave me antibiotics for 10 days plus predisone. I'm going to start listening to my body more and not let my sis influence me.
Going tomorrow to get my taxes done.
Cleaned out the fireplace this afternoon.

Gma
I may need to start setting alarms for reminders.

Jean
Stay warm. That type of weather would be to much for me.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #6  

Good morning! Super rainy here for the next three days, but temps are in the 70’s every day until Friday, then they drop to around 40. Idid put a daily alarm on so I’d be better about remembering to post.

Have a bunch of stuff coming today it looks like. Two pair of slip on tennis shoes, a new top, ink for Jack’s printer, and a book on learning to use his new camera. Jack is in love with his new camera. I told him to take photography classes if he really likes it.

I have started on the house but no mopping with it raining. I have a load of clothes I have to fold and need to unload the dishwasher too.

CeeJay: You should be feeling better soon. Our taxes are done, filed, and our refund will be in our bank tommorrow. It’s going to pay off the rest of our cruise balance and buy a couple baseball tickets. We’re going to go see the Cubs play at Busch stadium in St Louis for my birthday in Sept. That is if we can get tickets. They sell out because it’s a big rivalry.

Jean: My alarm is more like a harp type thing. Hopefully when the good Lord calls me home I don’t think it’s my alarm and try and shut it off. I am not taking my car out of the garage until the rain stops. They said 3 days of rain until we have sunnier weather but then cold again. We didn’t watch the football game. We quit watching the NFL years ago when they started trying to hurt each other. Guess you’ll see about the cards. Do you mostly get people who only buy one card, like for a new baby or sick person they’re going to visit or people thinking your prices are better so they come in and buy several??

Sloppy joes and mac n cheese are the agenda for tonight. Mac n cheese for Jack. Not a big fan of the boxed stuuf, which he loves.

Everyone have a nice day. Back to work for me.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon! It’s another cold gloomy day, was 1 degree when I checked early this morning. Our outside thermometer connected to the inside clock has died. I’d hate to say how many times I have looked to see if it is warming up outside. Bob is tired of monkeying with it so I ordered a new one. This morning I visited WM and what a disaster that place is! I went after shoe polish and salon hair spray for Bob. Walking in the main door is fabric and sewing/craft items. Just what a man would be looking for. I ventured to the grocery end of the store, no rhyme nor reason there. They have the new signs up for what is supposed to be in the aisles. They used to have coffee, creamer, and tea in the same location. Not any more; tea is now located in the back with energy drinks. I never did see the coffee creamers. Coffee is now in the same aisle with the bread. They are out of so many things I can’t help but wonder how they will know how much shelf room to save or fill in. I asked a clerk when their remodeling project is supposed to be finished; she said the grand opening is the end of March. I hope I won’t need anything I can’t get somewhere else in the meantime.

Ceejay, glad you got some meds to help make you feel better. I’ve been on short term prednisone a couple of times with no problem. Do you have an outside door to clean out your fireplace? Someone in our neighborhood has been burning some good smelling wood. I miss that with a gas fireplace. Good luck with your taxes.

”Gma,” it seems like everyone around the country is having weird weather lately. We had rain while we were eating lunch. It didn’t last long which is good for as cold as it is. I finally just got shoes I ordered a week ago from Clarks. I usually order from Zappos and they are fast! Clarks was cheaper and no shipping this time. Hope you get your things delivered today. Our main card customers are employees and people there for therapy, visiting patients, or waiting for same day procedure patients. Our largest local clientele doesn’t shop in the gift shop if you get my drift. We sell birthday and sympathy cards the most, sometimes one at a time, sometimes more. I do try to have a wedding, anniversary, and baby card appropriate for the occasion. I order six in a package and one lady bought all six of three different cards! Luckily I had more of each to put out.

I have a lunch pan and a couple leftover bowls soaking in the sink so need to wash them and put them away. Have a terrific Tuesday and enjoy!
Old 02-06-2019, 08:06 AM   #8  

Good morning! No sleeping in for me today. I was sound asleep and Jack jumped up and took off for the bathroom. He shut off his alarm yesterday morning because he got up early and forgot to turn it back on. He got up 15 minutes late so since he woke me up I just came downstairs. All kinds of noises coming from the fireplace. We are having thunderstorms today and the clouds are really moving fast. I hope that’s it anyway and not critters. It was 68 when we got up this morning. We had the fans on all night.

They still haven’t done anything about the garbage pile a couple doors done. I am calling the manager if they don’t do something soon. We’ll have rats!

Yay, made the last payment on our cruise for next year so it is officially paid for. Now we have to tackle the rest like my friend’s passport, her airline tickets, hotels, etc, but that’s oof in the distance a bit.

We are going to take a weekend trip just to get away. Jack wants to take his new camera and practice. Going to be chilly, but not cold in Nashville. The outlet mall has several new stores I am anxious to see and we got a fabulous hotel rate. I booked a brand new Hilton Suites hotel and got a 2 room suite for $104 a night! It has a shower only too so that’s great for me. The mall has a new Bavarian Bierhaus and I can’t wait to eat there. My grandfather was german and I grew up eating German food. I really miss it.

Jean: I have a FB friend who lives in ND. Her temps are going to be -30 to -40 and below all next week. She hates living there but her husband won’t move. I have to get valentine cards for the boys so I can send them their valentine money. I hate paying for stuff they toss in the trash. We changed WM stores because of that very thing. The one where I get my nails done is totally screwed up again. The one we go to now is much newer so they haven’t messed with it. We have 6 Walmarts in Memphis. Three are fairly close within 6 miles or so.

Everyone have a good day.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #9  

GMA
A week end trip to get away sounds like fun. Think I missed the part on your cruise. Where will you be going? Id like to go to Alaska.

Jean
No the doors to the fireplace open into the living room but it's okay The mess wasn't to bad. May have another fire tonight

------------
We had rain with thunder and lightening last night. We may have more today but that's okay I'm staying inside for the most part. Need to get some groceries.
Tonight the temperatures are going back down to 12 degrees.
Cleaned my bathroom yesterday and cleaning the kitchen this morning.
Did get a refund from taxes yesterday.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #10  

Good Morning! It’s another gloomy cold day in my neighborhood although a couple degrees warmer than yesterday. There have been lazy snowflakes floating around all morning but it looks like they are getting more serious. We are in a winter storm watch until 6:00 tomorrow night. Whoopee! I baked a batch of frozen cookie dough cookies and put in a load of laundry this morning. The guy is here working on the shower and Ernie is hiding somewhere.

“Gma,” you talking about your neighbor’s garbage, I told Bob I was going to start writing down addresses and send the list to the mayor and chief of police. They are not enforcing any ordinances, (no parking on lawns, garbage bags piled high, excess junk and litter, etc.) they passed a year or more ago. There are also “rules” about our new garbage cans that are being ignored. There are two WMs in Sioux City and one just across the river in South Sioux, NE. Beth goes to the one in So. Sioux because it is much cleaner and the clerks are friendly. We went into a SC one when Bob’s mom lived there, and it made our grungy one look good. Do your WMs have fast food restaurants in them? We had a McDs but they closed it and now it is storage for online shopping. A weekend away sounds like fun!

Ceejay, I am trying to promote a cruise to Alaska too. We are heading back to Maui next February so the cruise is on my wish list. Glad your tax refund arrived! Because Bob is considered self employed, if we happen to overpay, it is applied to the next year. He makes quarterly estimates that he and his accountant figure out together. I’m glad I don’t have to figure all that out.

I need to get busy and vacuum the kitchen, tv area, and living room. No point in going any further until the shower is finished. Hope you enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 02-07-2019, 06:21 AM   #11  

Good morning everyone. I woke up hot so I came downstairs. It is 69 right now. It is supposed to be 71 today and the high tomorrow is 35! Quite a change. We have had quite a bit of rain and more today then it will move out for a few days.

I am packing my stuff today as I don’t want to rush around in the morning. Jack wants to get a haircut before we leave and we need to get our baseball tickets. It is a big Cub rivalry so the tickets sell out fast. They don’t go on sale until 10 AM tomorrow. It’s basically a 4 hour drive so plenty of time.

I got my deliveries yesterday and I love the shoes. I have a pair of this brandcalled Fitflop. They are slip on style. Well HSN had a sneaker style and I bought two pair. The uppers are all stretchy but they look like tie tennis shoes. You slip them on not tie them. They are so comfortable.

CeeJay: Here’s the cruise story so bear with me. I have had this best friend since 7th grade. She lives up where I grew up so I don’t get to see her much. Her husband died 2 yrs ago from cancer and he had always wanted to go on a cruise. She was having a tough time with his death so around January of 2018 I ask Jack what he thought of us doing a surprise and taking her on a cruise. He was all in. Her birthday is in May so we planned a surprise birthday party with her kids and grandkids at the Olive Garden up there. Jack came up with a great idea to give her the present, “Let’s Make a Deal.” Anyway, we had her whole family and us at this huge table (20 of us) Her daughter said they were taking her out to lunch for her birthday and she thought it was just them. She walked back and got a surprise seeing everyone, but she didn’t see me at the far end of the table. We hadn’t seen each other in about 4 years or so. Well, she finally saw me she started crying. Jack “hosted” the game and each “prize was about the cruise. She got to pick a gift then he did the whole, “or would you like to take...” It was fun and she was flabbergasted. Anyway, we are paying for everything, airline tickets, clothes, luggage, passport, etc so we had to book way out to pay for it. The cruise alone was $9000. We were able to get a 2 bedroom suite with two baths. As to where we are going, San Juan, Labadee Haiti, and St Maartin. That wasn’t the original plan, but about middle of last year we got an email saying the ship we booked was going to go in for overhaul so we had to change ships. When we did they gave us $550 of onboard credit and reduced the price a bit. We also changed ports from Fort Lauderdale to Miami. We leave April of next year. I do a weekly text to her of how many weeks to keep her excited.

Jean: Just thinking about having to do your taxes gives me a headache. We now have the next door neighbor with three mattresses in the walkway. Trash won’t pick them up. I am fed up with the garbage and such. They need to be fined!!! The WM we go to is pretty nice but it’s not very old so I give it a few years. The one in my hometown is pretty clean or at least it was. Dis you get much bad weather??

Everyone have a nice day and weekend.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #12  

Had quiet the ride during the weather last night. They issued a tornado warning for my area and sirens were going off for about 30 minutes. Luckily we didn't get the ice that some did nor damage.
I need to get out later and have the oil changed in the Rav4. It is cold.

GMA
How nice that you are doing this for your friend.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #13  

Good ! It’s another day in paradise . . . NOT! It’s a no school day with the wind blowing 30mph and whipping 2-3+” of new snow around. It’s 3 degrees but wind chill is -30! I had a dentist appointment this morning and followed a snow plow into town. $136 later for cleaning and x-rays I am home for the rest of the day. I’ve been sorting through tax stuff, written Valentines, and ate lunch with Bob. I haven’t seen the shower guy but Bob said he could tell he was here. The best part of the day is that we have our Maui reservation set for next February! I hope to be better organized by then!

“Gma,” Many years ago Bob used to do our taxes. But when he started in the insurance business and being self employed, a lot of things can work to his tax advantage so he started using an accountant on the advice of an older wiser agent. So far he thinks it has worked well. I just sign on the line when he brings the papers home. Believe me, I know how frustrating non compliant people can be. Our neighbor is moving at the end of the month and we are so afraid of what might move in. We’ve looked at houses around our end of town but it always comes back to Bob likes his big yard and the space between houses, the lake, etc., etc., etc. I really don’t want to move twice if Bob’s farmer friend retires in a few years, and we decide to leave town.

Ceejay, do you think the tornado siren was a warning for the ice rather than a tornado? I’m glad you didn’t have any damage. We had one sound in the middle of the night last summer. The next day the chief of police said it wasn’t for the people in their houses but for people outside to take shelter. Really? I was curious as to how many people were out and about in the middle of the night. We do have a campground but the only solid shelter is the shower building and it’s not big enough to hold everyone.

I need to get back to my part of the tax stuff so Bob can take it all to the accountant. Bob uses a computer program that divides his business and non business expenses into categories. I still use pen and paper! Enjoy the rest of a terrific Thursday!

Last edited by Jean; 02-07-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:16 AM   #14  

Good morning! I woke up at 2 sweating so just came downstairs. It’s cold down here. I am going to try and go back to sleep when I finish posting. It is only 22 here right now and not going to get above 36 today. It rained heavy yesterday so I hope it isn’t icy outside or bad driving.

I ordered new panties and they came yesterday soaking wet. The whole side of the shipping bag was ripped and the bag with the panties was wet as was every pair. Not a big deal because I put them in the washer anyway, but just the carelessness makes me mad. All deliveries get paid decent money and do a shabby job. In fact, Jack bought a new camera bag for his camera and they got into our garage and threw it on my MKS instead of bringing it to the house. They don’t even knock anymore, they just toss it wherever they feel like and leave.

We have to try and get the baseball tickets this morning so we’ll see how that goes. I hope it’s not a hassle as we get handicapped seats because I use my scooter. Lots of walking otherwise. The nice thing is our hotel is across the street from the ballpark with lots of eating places so we don’t have to even leave the area.

CeeJay: We definitely have had weird weather this season. I hope you are feeling better now that you’ve taken the meds for a bit.

Jean: With Jack being in the Navy and moving around so much, we always rented. We never did to our homes what these people do and people wonder why they’re thought bad of. This person down a couple places has garbage piled up halfway up the garage wall including a couch, etc. They just took the filth out of the garage and stuck it outside and trash people won’t pick it up. I am going to make Jack call the HOA manager and demand he do something. I do not want rats again. Stay warm and be careful out there. sounds like you have some ugly weather.

Everyone have a great weekend.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #15  

Good Morning! The sun is shining brightly and it has warmed up to -7 from -11 early this morning. I didn’t even check the wind chill factor. The fuzz balls all came out of “motel 6” this morning. They ate breakfast and took off for parts unknown when Bob started the snow blower. We are heading to Sioux City whenever Bob gets home from the office. Last night I made brownies to take to the Tea family after the game later this afternoon. I frosted them this morning which I don’t usually do. I have a load of clothes in the washer and have cleaned up the kitchen.

“Gma,” I am surprised at how cold your temperatures have been. I always think of the south as being warm, if not hot. I think I have shared this but when UPS delivers our packages they are so filthy I hate to touch them. If Bob happens to be home he takes them to the garage and opens them out there. If the mailman delivers the UPS packages they are squeaky clean. They both travel gravel roads so that is no excuse! At least your wet undies were an easy fix. We always treated rentals as if they were our own too. Good luck getting your baseball tickets! Weather has been a challenge lately but we haven’t had it as bad as some areas.

The washer should be done so I need to keep moving. Hope you enjoy a super duper day!