3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias #30 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/316214-steel-magnolias-30-a.html)

gma22 10-28-2018 08:27 AM

Steel Magnolias #30

Good morning. I lost two posts on the other thread somehow. Have no idea what happened. It is going to be warm here for a few days, upper 70’s!

I started on the second sweater, but I hate the yarn. It is too expensive not to use, but at this point they won’t take it back. I hope it turns out ok. I am waiting for needles that will be here tomorrow to start the blanket. The pattern I picked out called for 11’s, which I had purchased. I started the blanket and hated the pattern, so tore it out, searched for another pattern and needed smaller needles. I am replacing my circular needles as I need them. I have screw on type, but they come apart where the needle attaches to the plastic. I have had them many years so I don’t feel it’s a waste to dump them. The ones I am buying now have the size etched into the needle, which is great. I also bought little canvas bags, ( just a bit bigger than those old style loose tobacco bags they used to have. I use a felt marker and write the size and length on the outside and store each pair in that. I don’t use straight needles at all. I only use circular needles to knit. They hold the length and weight much better than straight needles.

Today I finish downstairs cleaning and start upstairs. Tomorrow I am going to get my nails done. I keep putting it off, but they need to be done. Jack has his last follow up for his eye on Wednesday and they’ll set the date for the right eye. He’ll go back to work on Thursday if they release him until they strart the process for the other eye. I have a dr appt on Friday.

CeeJay: They have those car shows here fairly frequently. There are some real beauties people have restored. I grew up where the Studebaker factory was. In fact, my grandmother worked as a seamstress there until they closed. We lived close to them growing up and my mom worked so Grandpa would take us with him to go pick her up. I remember employees just streaming out of the building and here would come grandma with her lunchpail.

Jean: I signed up with DHL for updates, but it hasn’t shown movement at all. Like I said, I hate DHL. Everytime something is shipped by them and then delivered through the post office, I get a notice that they are sorry but it has been delayed. Your gift is supposed to be there tomorrow, but who knows? It hasn’t shown any movement. We got rained on going out on Friday. We put the scooter on the lift and no cover because it wasn’t raining, but sure enough when we got out towards the base it started raining lightly. By the time we got over to the Fresh Market, the wind had dried it completely. :lol:

Well gals, I need to get breakfast going. Have a nice Sunday.

Jean 10-28-2018 02:59 PM

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and it is windy! The back yard is raining leaves and the deck looked like it was carpeted in yellow this morning. Bob grilled steaks for lunch then left for the farm. I’ve got some sorting to do and another load of laundry is waiting. The fuzz balls visited the neighbor behind us this morning when Bob swept the deck. So far they haven’t come back but I bet they will when they get hungry! Zowie had her last soccer game yesterday. I always send the kids a “good luck” text before a game. They lost again but she said after the game the referee asked her her name and said he was going to nominate her for an all star team. She is so excited; I hope it happens for her because she has played hard this year and improved a lot from practicing with the high school team. I felt bad when she ended up on a hodge podge city team this fall.

Ceejay, The car show you went to with your nephew sounds like fun. I have several pictures of my parents beside cars when they were dating. We have a local car show for the 4th of July. They have a parade around town then park down by the lake so people can walk around the cars and visit with the owners. Our next door neighbor has several, all restored and spit shined. His convertibles are always in the high school, college, and 4th parades for the “royalty and dignitaries.” Bob and I were just talking how we could tell the different cars apart when we were kids. I remember Fords always had big tail lights; my boyfriend drove a red and white Ford and I could always find him on the loop. :lol: Now there are so many different kinds of cars, trucks, and SUVs it’s hard to tell unless you can see the name.

“Gma,” thanks for starting the new thread. :D I have some wooden (?) knitting needles that were my Grandma’s. I haven’t been able to part with them but know also I will never use them. I found some old sheet music that was my mom’s, old Bibles, and a couple old text books from my parents’ high school days. We have a museum and I think I am going to call and see if they will take them. Is the yarn you don’t like the same that you pictured on FB with the knot in it? Ordering something without seeing and feeling it, is always my fear that I won’t like it. My grandpa had a lunch pail and I thought it was so neat to be able to take your lunch with you. Little did I know I would be doing the same in later life! What does DHL stand for?

I need to get busy and accomplish something before Bob gets home later. Hope you all enjoy a nice fall day! :wave:

Jean 10-29-2018 12:40 PM

Good Morning! It’s a beautiful sunny morning in my neighborhood so far. Leaves are continuing to rain down in the gentle breeze. We have one tree that hasn’t begun to turn colors yet. Church counting was good since we balanced the first time! I dropped off the gift shop deposit at the bank on my way home and now need to fold a load of towels when they finish drying. Zowie has a concert tonight so will change clothes and be ready to leave when Bob gets home. His farmer friend fell off a ladder the night we went to Ian’s game; he finally agreed to go to the doctor today after his wife and daughters have nagged at him. He has had both shoulders and a hip replaced so admitted he hurt. Men!

My dryer is buzzing so I’m off to fold towels. Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday! :wave:

ceejay52 10-29-2018 09:17 PM

Sunday was church then back home and took a nap. The cat slept on the bed with me Saturday night and wanted to play and was on the counter top in the bathroom knocking things off during the night. I didn't sleep well so I took a nap after church.
Today I decided to mow the leaves in the back yard. The ash tree has lost all its leaves. Don't think it ever turned colors as they were brown. It was a nice sunny 70 degree day to be outside working.
The screen on my lap top is acting crazy. It's jumping all over the place and changing the font size. I hate that.
--------
Jean
How awful that the man fell off the ladder. I'm glad that his wife and daughter managed to persuade him to go be checked out.

gma
I would like to learn to knit or crochet. My mom could crochet but I didn't have the patience for it. I might be able to crochet a single row. When I was cleaning out my closets I found some cross stitch that I'm going to do later.

gma22 10-30-2018 12:08 PM

Good morning. It is a nice day here but I think the kids are gonna be crushed tomorrow as it is supposed to rain and thunderstorm all day and evening tomorrow. We have so few kids I don’t mess with giving out candy and I have no intention giving to people trucked in.

I am starting on afghan for my sister’s birthday today. Her birthday is in April and my best friend’s in May so have a lot of knitting to look forward to.

I think I’m going to make spaghetti for dinner tonight. We haven’t had that in awhile. Jack likes Prego sauace and I hate it so I make the Kraft spicy spaghetti that comes in the box. I like it a lot.

CeeJay: I used to cross stitch a lot until it became too difficult with the arthritis in my hands. I wish I’d been given the stuff I made for my mom when she died, but my step dad’s family kept it. I really enjoy knitting and can crochet a bit too, but really haven’t pursued it much.

Jean: It is a German based delivery company. It’s Deutsche something or other. As I said before everytime some place I order uses it, everything is delayed and sure enough yours is. It’s ridiculous. Hopefully it won’t be long and they’ll deliver it to you. I sure hope your granddaughter is considered for that team. Always tough to be good on a lousy team.

Everybody have a good day

Jean 10-30-2018 05:01 PM

Good Afternoon! The sun has disappeared, it’s breezy, and getting colder in my neighborhood. My day started with an auxiliary board meeting where the hospital foundation director presented a request for a donation to fund breathing lung machines. We give money every year for different equipment requested by different departments. Last year we gave $10,000 towards a maternity security system and this year voted to give $15,000. I needed a few things from the grocery store and then went back to the gift shop after lunch. My greeting card order arrived so I checked them in and put them out on the card rack. I have been trying to find a new card company with no luck. One I use has gone out of “small” businesses like we are and the other one I really like has a bigger selection of cards that are too large for our card rack. I have bell practice at 6 today instead of tomorrow because of Halloween. We have a drama queen who is always late or just doesn’t come. She is the speech and drama professor at the college and everything is a big production with her around. Makes me nuts! :crazy: I’m just glad we are at opposite ends of the table so I don’t stand anywhere close to her!

Ceejay, our ash tree was the first to lose leaves. We have the ash borer invading the state so Bob had our tree checked this spring. The expert said there has to be other ash trees close by for them to share the bug. There are no other ash trees around so we should be ok. It is a huge tree and we would miss the shade if we lose it. The fuzz balls have been chasing leaves all around the deck, they are fun to watch. I haven’t heard how the farmer came out after his doctor visit. I assume they are harvesting because Bob hasn’t come home.

”Gma,” it is supposed to be much colder here tomorrow night. With the three empty houses and those who don’t turn their lights on, I don’t expect many tomorrow night. Spaghetti sounds good! I never know what time Bob will get home so meals are hit and mostly missed during harvest. We went to Zowie’s choir concert last night. Afterwards she said, “I hate choir, it’s not fun!” I must admit she looked like she wasn’t enjoying it at all. It was grades 7-12 and you could tell the older kids were really into their singing. I guess she is going to stick with band!

I need to clear off the counter and unload the dishwasher in case Bob gets home from the farm before I do. Enjoy the rest of a terrific Tuesday! :wave:

ceejay52 10-30-2018 09:21 PM

I'm glad to hear that others are not going to participate in trick or treat. I'm not going to the door. They start before it gets dark here. I usually am at my sisters this time of year but have decided to stay home.
I'm tired from yesterday's mowing. I did make it to the grocery store.
Think my microwave it going out because it's making a weird noise.
I ordered some things from the Metabolic Research center's website today. I really liked that program so I'm going to try it again. I still have a couple of diet sheets to follow but it's basically a very low carb diet. They have an office in Springfield so if I continue to do this I can go to the center. It will take me 20 minutes to get there but that is okay. I drove an hour before when I lived in Arkansas.

gma
I have arthritis in my hands too but I'm going to try to see if I can do the cross stitch. It will give me something to do later.

Jean
I'll have my nephew who is an arborist take a look my tree to see what condition it's in. He did mention that it was one his least favorite tree's because they got diseased more than other tree's.

Jean 10-31-2018 01:40 PM

Happy Halloween! The sun is shining, the fuzz balls are sleeping in a pile in their kitty house, and Bob said they will finish harvesting today! First thing this morning I went to have my nails filled and then decided to get a pedicure too. I stopped by the jewelry store to pick up a Mary Kay order but the owner wasn’t there yet so will go back later. I was parked in front of the dress shop; “buy one, get one at half price” gets me every time! I found a sweater, a pretty red jacket for Christmas, another top, and black jeans to come home with me. Our merchants treated kids on Saturday and the dress shop lady said they gave out over 900 treats in the two hour period, one treat per child. I can’t help but wonder if some came by two or more times. :dunno:

Ceejay, I have never heard of the Metabolic Research program but it sounds interesting. If it works for you, definitely do it! Did you move from Arkansas to be closer to family? We feel so lucky to live as close as we do to our kids and grandkids. Bob has a brother in Arizona, and another one in Montana but since the family cabin has been sold we most likely won’t see them unless we do the traveling. I have three cousins who live in Iowa, but the only time we see each other is at funerals. :(

I need to get busy and work on my chore list. Hope you all have a wonderful Halloween Wednesday! :haphal:

gma22 11-01-2018 08:43 AM

Good morning gals. Raining here this morning, but I need to get my nails done and take back a top that doesn't fit to Catherines. Hopefully it will have moved through by 9 AM.

Jack was released from eye doctor yesterday so he is back to work until December 5, which is when they will do the other eye. I am telling you the drops are ridiculously expensive. He has to do three of them and they cost $109 with our insurance. I am doubtful the insurance even covers the dang things. The bottles are itty bitty too. I just hope they last as we have put out about $225 for drops.

I have a doctor appointment tomorrow and am going to have to talk to him about my headache. I have had a headache for over a week solid. I think it is sinuses so we shall see what he thinks and hopefully he can give me something better than what I have to get rid of it. It is kind of weird as it does come and go and when I got up this morning no headache, but it is back since I have sat here paying bills and posting. It is miserable as you don't want to do anything.

The afghan is coming along. I do have a mistake though so am going to tear out a row and see where it is. The pattern jumps around every other row so you can't put stitch markers for patterns. Frustrating. I think I missed a yarn over, but I will just go back and figure it out.

CeeJay: I only have one sister living and she lives in AZ. My brother and older sister past away last year. With Jack being in the Navy we moved around a lot so were never close to family. When he retired we lived in my hometown for awhile but jobs were poor there so when he got offered the job here in Memphis, we moved down here and have been here for 18 years. Can't say I am fond of the city, but it is where the work is. I imagine Jack will retire in 5 years or so. I told him he can retire whenever he wants to. I hope you don't have a large yard to mow. Living in a condo, we don't have that to deal with.

Jean: Too bad about your greeting card issues. Our hospitals always have stupid cards. Zowie should just quit if she doesn't enjoy it. I think extra curriculars should be a time to have fun and if it isn't fun you shouldn't do it. Hope Bob can finish up harvest so you get back to routine. I told Jack that is what drove me nuts having him home was my routine was all screwed up. I don't know what I'll do when he permanently retires. I told him I would get a list together when he retired to keep him busy. He just gave me a look. I don't see him retiring anytime soon. I know he wants to get to 24 years if he can and that is 7 more years so we shall see.

I guess I better get hopping if I am going to get out of here at 9 AM. Have a good day all.

ceejay52 11-01-2018 05:19 PM

We have had rain last night and today but it's not heavy. I didn't hear any one out trick or treating last night. The high today is supposed to be 47. It's sweater weather for sure.
I've been to the gym and completed my cardio and did some weight machines. I've increased the weight on the machines by 5 pounds and I can tell a difference.
FedEx delivered my Metabolic Research order at lunch so I've started with that. It's mainly some protein packets. I got some cream of chicken soup with added protein and chocolate pudding mixes with added protein. I also bought some all day supplements that is supposed to curb your appetite. It did before. My self control has gone out the window. Hopefully this will help me get it back.

gma
I understand about living in the condo with no major responsibilities. I've always rented for that reason. I've always enjoyed working outside so that didn't bother me. It's the major things like heating and air repair, roof repair, broken water lines etc that I don't like to deal with.

Jean
I need to go shopping for a few things

Jean 11-03-2018 02:02 PM

Good Morning! It is a rainy morning in my neighborhood with no wind and 40 cool degrees. We needed bread and milk so I braved the grocery store which was really busy. I hardly ever go on Saturday and now I remember why! Ian’s team won last night 28-0 so we go to the championship game in the university dome Thursday night. While at the game Zowie found out she will be playing on the allstar soccer team tomorrow. That game will also be inside at a field house in Sioux Falls. I am a happy camper! :D

”Gma,” I am surprised Medicare and Tricare doesn’t cover more of Jack’s eye drops. I Know one of mine was more expensive than the other two. I hope your headache is gone by now. The guys finished harvest, except for a small wet patch of corn and cleaning up the machines, Halloween night. The corn may still be there next spring.

Ceejay, we had more little trick or treaters than usual because it was so nice. The kids didn’t have to wear coats over their costumes, which is really unusual. I have no self control when it comes to some food! I am better off to not eat the first bite and sometimes that will work. I feel like I go to the store more than I should but buy fresh fruit and vegetables in smaller quantities thinking “fresh.”

Bob is home again so guess I should see how many leftovers I can get out for lunch. Hope you all enjoy a nice weekend. :wave:

ceejay52 11-03-2018 07:08 PM

Hello again
It's a ho hum day.
Met my sis, bil and nephew for lunch today. It was only Subway but it was good and good fellowship. Don't get to see my sister as much as I did.
Niece came and spent last night with me. She needed to get away.It was good to have her here. She will be moving to Florida after our vacation and I will miss her.
Jean
Good for Zowie to be chosen to play for the soccer team.

Jean 11-04-2018 08:49 AM

Good Morning! It’s another wet, windy, gloomy morning in my neighborhood. I have a load of laundry in the washer and dryer with another one to fold that I forgot last night. I woke up at my usual time this morning; guess I needed the extra hour of sleep.

Ceejay, yesterday was ho hum for me too. It’s always nice to have someone else fix lunch and then enjoy eating with family. How many sisters and brothers do you have? Florida is a nice place to visit when your niece gets moved. ;)

I need to get dressed and ready to leave for the soccer game. We have couples card club tonight, Ernie will think he is an orphan. He will do what he does best and that is eat and sleep. Have a super Sunday and enjoy! :wave:

gma22 11-04-2018 04:08 PM

Good afternoon. It has rained here pretty much all day and been a bit chilly. We had grocery shopping today so got that finished and put away and went and got some lunch. We just got back and I put clothes in the dryer and need to go out and debone a rotisserie chicken I bought to use in salads or such this next week.

Yesterday we didn’t do much and Friday I went and got my nails done finally. I got the guy who zooms through and I needed a new set so I hope they don’t pop off. Last time he put a new set on then started coming off within a couple days.

We have voting on Tuesday, I have a waxing appt on Wed and hair cut and color on Friday. This next weekend Jack has three days off so he promised he’d help me clean out the fridge and defrost the chest freezer. He’s taking off Wed so he can stay up and watch election results. Then a week from Tuesday it’s back to the doctor. I have something going on and wr are trying to figure out what. My bp has skyrocketed and so we’re trying to find a medication combo that works. We aren’t sure why it just balloned up. My heart is fine, no pneumonia, lungs are clear too. I changed my allergy med to see if that helped with my allergies. So, hopefully we can get it straightened out. My doctor is around 25-28 or so and he cracks me up. He always comes into the exam room and tells me I smell good. :lol: He’s a real sweetheart and I’m going to miss him when he leaves in June. I think I’ll make him a stocking cap as a good bye present.

CeeJay: How far away does your sister live from you? I miss my only living sibling. She and I used to work together and would go out to lunch every day and ride to and from work together. She lives in Phoenix and I rarely get to see her now. All her kids live far too so I rarely see them. My older sister’s daughter lives in Indy but I don’t get to see her much either. My sister’s one son, passed away just a few months ago and the other son has no contact with the family. I have no contact with my brother’s kids since he passed away last year.

Jean: :crossed: that your gift will be there on Tuesday. It’s at least as far as IL now. That’s terrific that Zowie was picked for the better team. Hope She and Ian both win. I saw today all the cotton has been picked, baled and is gone off the fields. Wonder what they’ll plant there next year. Cotton really strips the soil. How old is Ernie now?

Well I better get in the kitchen and get the chicken boned. Have a good start to your week.

ceejay52 11-05-2018 12:10 PM

gma
One of my sister lives about 40 minutes from me.which a lot better than 5 hours from Arkansas. I also have an older sister that lives in Deluth, Georgia. I'm the middle child.

Jean
Hi

-------
Yesterday was church but no book club. There was to be a grave side service for a members daughter in law. at 2. It was a cold, wet, windy afternoon. I chose not to attend.
I'm taking the cat that I'm fostering for my niece back home this week end to let her get used to the other animal, a dog.
I woke up to a thunderstorm this morning. There was heavy rain with it.
I'm not liking this time change. I've been waking up to early in the morning.
I'm getting excited about our family vacation. We are leaving on the 24th for the Dominican Republic. First time out of the U.S.A. We will actually spend the night in St Louis as our plane leaves at 7.30. Glad my bil called that one. Sis wanted to drive all night to get their for the flight.