Old 10-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias — #29

Good Morning! Another day of rain. I finally put on my rain coat to go to the bank and WM. The WM parking lot was mostly empty except for six semi trucks which apparently parked there overnight. We see them there quite often. Maddy has a choir concert tonight. Since there will be no farming again today we will go early and make a stop at SAM’s.

I have a load of laundry that should be ready for the dryer so need to go check. Hope you have a sunny Tuesday!

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #2  

Hi ceejay! I must ask if your initials are C J? I don’t think I would be smart enough to run a Fitbit. I am technology challenged big time! Many years ago our church choir fell apart; it was mostly elderly people and some had no business climbing the steps up to the altar. They didn’t sound the best either. The education director tried to recruit younger singers like Bob, but they didn’t want to commit to practice every week and singing every Sunday. It ended up being a men’s quartet that sang once a month. A few years later some women joined them and now it is a double quintet if everyone is present. They practice twice a month and sing the first service once a month. When Bob was in high school he sang with a mixed group that traveled around the area for contests, fairs, etc. Jason, our son, was in choir and swing choir in high school. Beth, our daughter, also sang in the choir because I wouldn’t let her quit. Both of our granddaughters are in choir and three of the four grandchildren play saxophones. Kolby also plays the viola along with his sax. He’s also the only golfer in the bunch. Too much information!
Old 10-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #3  

Good afternoon. I got the downstairs vacuumed and the floors mopped except the entranceway. I have to charge the battery before I can mop it.

A small load of laundry is done. I took my bydureon injection so guess I’m caught up today.

Hopefully I can get out tomorrow and get my nails done and get Halloween cards for the boys. Oh and pick up cash for their cards. I will probably continue doing this for Thomas until he gets married and has his own family. Jackson has a ways to go.

Cooler temps are supposed to move in on Thursday and be downright chilly by Monday, but then up into they 70’s even though overnight temps will be cool. Looks like we have 90% chance of rain tomorrow.

Jean: Jack cannot lift or bend over for 2 weeks after surgery plus has eye appts on each end of that. The city does not have modified duty so he can’t go back to work so he did FMLA and has to take it all as sick time. He then has to do it all over again for the other eye. He has bad astigmatism so he is going to see if he can wear toric contact lenses after his eyes are all healed rather than glasses. I sure hope your rain stops soon, but the hurricane may keep you wet a bit longer depending on how it moves I guess.

CeeJay: Gym is out of the question for me. I have a knee with a torn acl and can’t even walk for exercise like I used to. I may try water aerobics again though. It’s in high 80’s here today.

Hope you have a nice Tuesday!!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #4  

Good Morning! No rain so far this morning just a mist early, the sun peeked out for 30 seconds but has disappeared again. I have lunch bunch and bell practice later this afternoon. A load of laundry is in the washer.

“Gma,” I have had the Halloween cards for a couple weeks and even know where they are. I put $2 bills in them but understand they are no longer being made. I used one at McDs for coffee and the gal looked at me as if I were trying to pull a trick on her because she had never seen one. She even asked her supervisor. It is interesting to learn how procedures are done in different parts of the country. Nothing was said about bending over or lifting when I had my eyes done. I wasn’t working so maybe that’s why. The surgeon was adamant about keeping on the eye drop schedule.

I need to finish getting ready and check on the washer. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!

Last edited by Jean; 10-10-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Jean
C J are my initials and in school my sibling shortened every noun , verb, etc. It stands for Carol Jeanette. I'm usually called Jeanette. The church where I attend now used to have bells but they don't anymore. The person who conducted has had to much to do. I tried choir here but I have trouble getting up to the choir loft. It makes me nervous too to be in front of people. I do play piano occasionally. The 52 was hold old I was when I joined this sight. I'm 68 now.

gma
I keep plugging away with the walking on a treadmill but I don't push myself. I have arthritis in my lower back with degeneration of the L4 and L5. Trying to keep my bones a strong as I can for now. Right hip has been bothering me this week due to the rain.

-------
Going with friends to potluck tonight at church. I'm making a meatloaf and broccoli salad. Hope they turn out okay.

Last edited by ceejay52; 10-10-2018 at 01:16 PM.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #6  

Good Morning! A cloudy cold, 33 degrees, morning in my neighborhood but at least it isn’t raining. I bought a new-to-me cake mix, a 6” cake with frosting. I made the cake this morning and will frost it when it is cool. I hope it tastes good because it is just the right size for us! I’d skip the frosting and just eat it warm but Bob likes the frosting. I’ve done a couple loads of laundry and cleaned out the bathroom cupboard under the sink. That might be my effort for the day!

ceejay, you are just a youngster! I will soon be 73, and some days I feel like 80! I’ve never had trouble with my knees but with all the rain they have been achey sore. I know I have some arthritis. I have a treadmill but it is buried back in a basement corner. I call it the dreadmill. I used to walk outside but got out of the habit and just never got started again. I am a nice weather person when it comes to being outside. Your potluck contributions sound good. I’m hungry for meatloaf, but mine never comes out the same way twice.

Bob is home for lunch so guess I will get out left over roast beef. I hope you all are enjoying some sunshine! The weatherman said we’ll see it this afternoon. I hope so!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:31 AM   #7  

Good morning. A chilly 48 this morning at our house. Looks like lots of rain for us over the weekend. We have to be at the eye clinic at 9 AM on Monday so that’s no too bad.

I have started knitting in the sleeves for the cardigan so it is coming along. I should get the yarn for my sister’s blanket today. It is big needles and double yarn so should be interesting. I hope she likes it. I’m making it in a camel and royal blue stripe that matches her living room colors.

Jack left for work just a few minutes ago. I put his drops in his eyes so he is ready to go this morning. It’s his last day of work for a couple of weeks then short lull and they’ll do the other one. You don’t realize how much someone does for you until you have to do it. The trash is the ugh for me I think. It can get pretty heavy.

CJ: I can tell when rain is moving in because my shoulders, knees and such ache like the devil. My hands are hurting this morning so don’t know if I’ll be able to knit. I was in choir all through high school and sang in my church choir and did specials. I quit when the woman who bullied her way into being director started telling me what I could sing. She convinced the pastor to quit using the hymnals and use songs she chose that she ran off. I got fed up and quit singing altogether. I just turned 65 the end of Sept.

Jean: I saw that you do have possible snow heading your way soon. There’s a big band of stuff moving east. Sure am sorry the summer months are ending. Produce starts being ick for one thing. We sat and watched a kid’s movie yesterday afternoon. It was pretty cute. I want to get some things done this weekend that Jack won’t be able to do like change the sheets. The bed is big and high and with the split I can’t put the fitted sheet on all the way. I told him we have to get the sheets changed because I can’t do it by myself. I had the same restrictions Jack is going to have, no bending over and no picking anything up over 10 lbs. Jack is very sensitive to the one series of drops he has to do three times a day. He says they sting. I never had the trouble. I am not a big cake eater. Jack loves frosting, the heavier the better.

Well, better get started on my chores. Have a nice weekend.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #8  

Good Evening! It’s another day in paradise - rain, rain, and more rain! It held off until mid afternoon and then began in earnest. Bob hauled a few more semi loads this morning but the rain put a stop to their progress. I picked up the gift shop money after lunch. There was a sale on Wednesday so have a $600+ deposit ready to go. We hadn’t planned to go to Ian’s game tonight; Amanda sent a text and said it was snowing up there. Zowie has a soccer game tomorrow but the field is close to a river. It was flooded earlier so don’t know about tomorrow’s game.

“Gma,” your cardigan will be so attractive when you get it all done! What kind of a stitch will you do on the blanket? Those colors sound pretty too. I don’t remember having any trouble with the eye drops except the lubricating one made my sight blurry for a bit. My optometrist suggested a brand she prefers and I liked it much better. I do think my prescription has changed some and have my yearly appointment next week. I must say the little cake turned out good, moist, and even the frosting was better than the usual canned taste. Must have been the added butter. It is Duncan Hines brand and I got it at WM. The grocery store didn’t have it when I looked there.

Not much newsy going on here. I play bells in church Sunday and it is supposed to rain some more. Hope you all have a nice dry weekend!
Old 10-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #9  

Jean! I hope you have a wonderful one. I sent you a surprise, but haven’t heard if it’s shipped to you.

Chilly this morning and we are expecting rain this weekend and doubtful my car is going to get washed. It needs debugging in the front. Guess it will have to wait. Jack is going to go to Kroger this morning and pick up an order I placed yesterday.

I am going to try and get my nails done tomorrow. They really need it but I just haven’t gotten out there. I don’t like going on the weekends but would like them to look nice before we go to the surgery center on Monday.

I am going to clean upstairs bathrooms today and put together a hall tree I bought for Jack to hang his uniforms on when he comes home. He’s been throwing them on the loveseat. Other than that, not much going on.

Jean: We have friends going on a cruise this weekend and we were worried they’d have problems like we did, but thankfully they got to FL with no issues. Looks like there’s another on building in the gulf again. The blanket is called a waffle stitch and it uses two threads instead of one so it will be nice and warm. I don’t know how much use she’ll get out of it as they live in Phoenix, but it gets chilly in the desert at night. Jack has really deep eye sockets and tends to have sensitive eye tissue anyway so doesn’t surprise me any. It’s the steroid drops that sting for him. I know the darn things cost a bundle for those tiny bottles.

Everyone have a great Saturday!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #10  

Good Evening! We did see the sun shine for part of the day today! We went to SD, mainly to take some sort of shovel to Jason. On the way, we saw the zebra and the camel in the farm yard! Jason is rearranging rocks on one side of his house to keep water rerouted away from the house. It involved moving his lawn and garden building first. We got to watch Ian’s game on YouTube last night. They won! Today we went to Zowie’s soccer game; they lost again but she played very well. Her team is made up of a hodge podge of girls. There are three 7th graders, five 6th graders, and three 5th graders. The coach is not very knowledgeable and it shows in how the girls play. She can also practice with her school district varsity and junior varsity teams but that’s not the best situation either. I feel bad for her. I woke up at 2:30 this morning and couldn’t get back to sleep so came downstairs to the recliner. Still couldn’t sleep so it’s been a long day; being gone most of the day means I got nothing done at home.

“Gma,” thank you for the birthday wishes. Bob sprays the bugs on my car with something before he goes to the car wash. He swears the SD bugs are worse than the Iowa bugs. I remember running out of one of the eye drops and calling the surgeon to get a refill. The nurse told me not to worry about it because she could tell I had used them as I should. I only had a couple days left on it. They gave me a chart with the days and kinds of drops to use when. I really appreciated that! Good luck to Jack on Monday!

I play bells at church tomorrow then will have to accomplish what I should have done today. Hope you all have a super Sunday!
Old 10-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #11  

Good Morning! We have been to church and out for breakfast. It has started snowing here and staying on the ground! It was 30 degrees when I came downstairs early this morning but has warmed up to 32. Whoopy! I have to clean house and pick up the clutter this afternoon.

I need to change clothes and get busy! Hope you enjoy a nice day!
Old 10-14-2018, 09:54 PM   #12  

Jean
I had wondered if it were snowing where you live. I saw a band of snow on the radar. Maybe the inches will not pile up to bad.
------------------
I've spent Friday night and Saturday night at my sissy's in Ash Grove, MO getting ready for the big event, my nephew's wedding. It went very good. She cooked for 40 people. I did make a huge broccoli salad, set the tables and quartered 15 pounds of potatoes to roast. My brother in law smoked 4 Boston butts. My nephew kept adding guest and this was a rehearsal dinner!!! Saturday afternoon came the wedding. The church sanctuary was elegantly decorated but simple in black and pink. It was beautiful.. I've never seen these colors before. Then off to the reception in Springfield. This was very different than what I'm used too with a live band. My nephew played and sang also and then sang a song with his daughter. Give his daughter an inch and she will try to take a mile. He was trying to tell her to leave him alone so I politely got up and took her by the hand and made her sit down. She can be a handful. All in all it was a good night. I did get out on the dance floor and probably made a fool of myself. but my nephew's daughters friend wanted me to dance with her.
Church this morning. We had rain no snow. Then book club this afternoon.
It is supposed to be in the thirties's in the morning.
I ordered another fit bit. The one I have bit the dust. I've never had one to do this. It cycled through all the programs in which I thought it was updating and then just stopped. I'm sending it back.

Last edited by ceejay52; 10-14-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #13  

Good morning. Seems we got the ongoing rain Jean had. It has been raining here since Saturday and it is pouring right now. We will be heading out to the surgery center in about 45 minutes or so. I hope the rain slows down as it is a long walk to the buliding and I can’t go very fast. I will have my handbag, my cane, and knitting bag so have to trust Jack can keep me dry with the umbrella. Since she sold her practice and only does Monday surgeries at this one, I hope they don’t get too behind.

I have the sweater almost all done. I am knitting the collar right now then just need to weave in ends and sew the sleeves. This sweater was knit in only three pieces, the body and each sleeve. Then instead of sewing in the sleeves, they are knitting onto the cardigan as raglan sleeves. I had no issues with it at all. I am waiting on the buttons, which are backordered.

I accomplished nothing except laundry this weekend. That and putting drops in Jack’s eyes. I can’t believe how sensitive his eyes are. They got all puffy and red from the drops. Weird as mine didn’t do that. He’s all ready though. He’s been asking me questions, but I don’t remember a lot of the little details.

CeeJay: I watch those wedding shows on tv and can’t believe how involved they’ve become. The amount of money spent is astronomical. When we got married it was punch, coffee, and cake. Now it’s cocktail hour, sit down dinner, band or dj, etc, etc. Gowns are expensive too. My grandmother made mine. Glad everyone had a good time. How old is your great niece?

Jean: I am waiting to hear from company about your gift and when I do, I’ll let you know when to expect it. Ugh, snow already? Ahh well, I guess it is October. We have some kind of spray stuff for the bugs too. Hope Jason got his house situation all fixed up.

Well, I better get dressed and get things gathered up. Have a good week this week.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining! It was 29 degrees when I left for church this morning. It definitely feels like winter is on the way. I wonder what happened to fall? The constant rain has made some leaves fall without changing colors. Our trees are the last to let go so sometimes there will be snow cover before Bob can get them mowed and bagged. He left to help Rich, his farmer friend, move equipment to a nearby town that happens to have drier fields than here. They will spend the better part of two days there if all goes well. We had a guest organist at church yesterday; he has a doctorate in organ performance and can really make the organ do things our regular organist has no clue about. There were several people attending first service that normally go to the second service. Counting didn’t take long this morning so we balanced the first try. I dropped our rings off at the jewelry store to have the settings checked, then stopped at a dress shop to look for a winter coat, no luck. They all seem to have collars that bunch up with the hood. I need a longer neck! The shoe store is next door so thought I would look for tennis shoes. The gal measured my foot and said I had gone up a size. I wish the same size would be the same in everything! I ended up with the same size I’ve worn for a few years.

ceejay, we did get enough snow to cover the ground yesterday. A lot had melted/soaked in before it got dark. It was the wet and heavy kind. I did notice some in shaded areas on my way to church this morning. Your sister is a brave woman to cook for 40 people let alone for a wedding rehearsal dinner! It was nice of you to help her! I would have been a wreck! The wedding sounds very nice! We were from the cake, punch, and coffee era also. I enjoy watching people dance, especially when you can tell they know what they’re doing. Are you reading a church book or something else? Our pastor has a group and the book is called God’s Messy Family. I didn’t know it was a book the first few times I saw the checks.

“Gma,” hope Jack is comfortable after his surgery and all went well. I hope his eyes being puffy wasn’t a problem. Poor guy! Jason had to move his lawn and garden building which he and Ian were able to do using jacks and logs. He had a couple guys there moving rocks when we got there and they were coming back on Sunday to finish. They got 4” of snow so I don’t know if they did. He/they offered to host Christmas again and I am excited about that. They have more room than we do plus it is about the same distance for Beth to drive there as here. She and Will have less space than we do for eating together. They got a new dog named George. He is part German Shepherd and part lab, not a lap dog but he thinks he is. He came from a guy she works with whose wife didn’t like him nipping at the kids. He’s still a pup so I don’t know if it was him or the kids. So far he hasn’t nipped anybody but the cat hates him.

I need to go pick up our rings and fold a load of towels. I have card club tonight so hope I get decent cards. I hate passing all the time! Enjoy the rest of your marvelous Monday!

Last edited by Jean; 10-15-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #15  

I went to the pharmacy to pick up the rx's for the next 3 months. They were busy. I also made it to the gym this afternoon and did 30 minutes of cardio, 15 minutes treadmill and 15 on the recumbent bike. I always feel better after I exercise. I've also made good head way on the closet that I started cleaning this morning. I've discarded 1 garbage bag of sweat shirts that are too big and meant to take them to the drop off place by PF but forgot them. I also got my flu shot today.
Miley, the cat I'm fostering for my niece, scratched me last night on a vein on top of my hand. It bled more than her usual scratches. It's sore and a bit swollen. Her claws need to be trimmed but since I'm not keeping her I'm going to let my niece deal with that later.
I was fishing between the cushions of my chair trying to dig out an ink pen that fell in there and low and behold I found my fit bit.

-------------
gma
My great niece is 8 but she has never been taught how to respect other people. It's all about her. They had a taco bar with booze, but you could also have tea or water. I chose tea. I don't care for the booze, never have. Hope that your DH has done well with his surgery.

Jean
I would have loved to have heard the organist. I'm teaching myself how to play the organ. It's the foot pedals that get me. I'm not used to moving both the hands and feet.
Need to practice the organ more often. Glad the snow didn't stick around to long. That's the way I like to have snow.

Last edited by ceejay52; 10-15-2018 at 06:23 PM.