3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias — #28 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/315934-steel-magnolias-%97-28-a.html)

Jean 09-08-2018 09:11 AM

Steel Magnolias — #28

Good Morning! The sun is shining again this morning but it is cold and breezy in my neighborhood, 52 degrees at 5am. :brr: We were up bright (?) and early for coffee before Bob’s leaving on a tractor ride. Ian’s game was a blowout last night. The score was 50-0 at half time and that ended the game! Their record is 3-0 now and this Grandma was a happy camper to head home early for once. :lol: I have sheets in the washer and several things waiting to be done today; cleaning the bathrooms, vacuuming, and clearing off the kitchen counter leads the list! Hope you enjoy a special sunny and nice Saturday! :wave:

gma22 09-09-2018 09:06 AM

Good morning! We had big thunderstorm last night but it moved through. Haven’t even peeked out to see what it’s like outside this morning. We went to fresh market to get produce and a couple meat things. I bought two lbs of their large precooked shrimp then we came home and put stuff away and vacuum packed the meat and divided the shrimp into a 1 lb bag then into two 1/2 lb bags and vacuum sealed those. I want the big one to make stir fry and the small ones for lunches as I love cold shrimp. We then watched baseball all afternoon and evening as they had a doubleheader and lost them both.

This morning I came down, turned on the fans and grabbed my current book. I read the “in death” series by J D Robb and her new one just came out. I have to say she doesn’t get boring. She’s written 47 books in the series and has never gotten repetitive, etc. It’s the one thing I see happen in series books. They start getting boring because they start reusing stuff. The books are great. I took out time to test my blood sugar then got some breakfast and came back to the book. I told myself I’d read until 8 then get up and get cleaned up to go commissary shopping at 9:30 but since I am posting, I’ll give myself a few extra minutes to read. :lol:

Jean: Congrats to Ian. His team must be great. Holy cow 52? Had to have been a chilly tractor ride. How far did they go? I guess it is mid September. It has been so hot here I don’t think about it being fall. It’s a cool 67 here right now. I wish Jack would eat soup more. He says it’s not filing enough so I rarely make chili or stew. I like a good pot of chili when it gets cold. I am sure you are a far better cook than you say you are. I have a friend that makes the worst pot roast. She puts everything on one of those old style oven pans. You know, the dark blue ones with the speckles on them. She puts no liquid in it at all. Her family loves hers and dislikes mine. Hers is crunchy and mine is soft and juicy. So there’s a taste for everyone, I guess.

Have a good Sunday!

gma22 09-10-2018 01:50 PM

Good afternoon. It is overcast and had a bit of rain early this morning. It is cooler here this week too. I can tell we are moving into fall.

I did a load of laundry and unloaded dishwasher but haven't done anything else today. I was going to go and get my nails done, but didn't want to go out into the rain today so will wait until Wednesday. I have a doctor appt tomorrow and hair appt on Friday then Jack and I are going to a medical seminar on Saturday. Such an exciting life I lead.

I finished my JD Robb book and it was really good. I am waiting for my yarn so I can get started on the sweaters or I won't get them done in time. I have several months but I tend to lay it down for awhile then go back to it so I need to get the yarn and get started. Both of them shouldn't be too hard. The pullover is harder than the little cardigan but both of them are knitted in one piece. I have yarn for a vest for me, but since I decided to hold off on it so I can get these birthday presents made, I doubt I make it this fall. I bought a couple shirts to wear with them that I doubt I wear until I make the vest thing.

I forgot to get anything out of the freezer for dinner so guess we'll have smoked sausage as that can be cooked fairly quickly even in a frozen state. Getting older seems to make me more forgetful.

Jean: The grandkids sure are growing. Ian is getting really tall.

Have a good week this week.

Jean 09-10-2018 05:51 PM

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and it’s warmed up some this afternoon. I had a frustrating morning at church! I was almost finished with my part and I get the message “error has occurred” with the options of repeating my last attempt (which didn’t work), reboot the computer (which means I lose all of my entries), and I forget the third thing because I didn’t know how to do it anyway. The secretary’s computer has to be on in order for my program to work. She announces she has no internet! So we wait a few minutes and nothing happens. I suggest calling the internet provider which she does. She goes through the panel buttons on the wall with the tech which eventually shuts her computer down, and in turn mine. :mad: So I redo everything; during the process I “save” what I have done thinking I am really smart. Then at the very end, I either print, save, or post. I always print the reports then post to the different accounts. This time I hit post first instead of print. :mad: again! I have the box of “yes print or no print” so I hit no print and everything disappears again! I don’t know where to find it, neither does the secretary, and the computer whiz doesn’t work on Mondays. The secretary calls for tech help, leaves a message, and tells me they always call right back. Well they don’t today! So I redid everything again and third time was the charm. :D By now it is almost noon and I still have to pick up the gift shop money on my way home. Counted that after lunch, wrote checks, made the deposit, then dropped checks off at the hospital. Have laundry in the washer and the dishwasher is almost ready to run. I am glad Monday is almost over!

“Gma,” I didn’t realize J.D. Robb had written so many books. Our library has a few but not nearly that many. I do like them. The tractor ride was 43 miles; Bob didn’t count but one of the guys said there were over 30 tractors. My mom would brown her roast on top of the stove, then turn the heat down, add an onion and a little water, then let it cook adding potatoes and carrots an hour or so before she wanted to eat. Her gravy was so good. Mine is ick! The meat wasn’t crunchy but wasn’t soft either. I’ve never perfected her touch; nothing I make comes out the same way twice. :( What is the medical seminar about? I thought the new knitting projects were for you. Someone will be happy!

I think we are going to the fair tomorrow. I have lab work at 7:30 then see my favorite doctor at 8:30. Hope you have had a nice day! :wave:

Jean 09-11-2018 08:18 PM

Good Evening! Another nice sunny day but a little on the breezy side. My lab numbers were good and the couple concerns I had from the insurance physical turned out to be nothing unless I have had symptoms, which I have not. Being cold is the result of old age. *sigh* We left for the fair as soon as I was back home and changed clothes. It was senior citizen day and LOTS of wheelchairs, walkers, and scooters with rude drivers stopping in the middle of an aisle so people couldn’t get around them. We parked in the free parking lot and they had volunteers driving golf carts to take us through the gate, then back to our cars afterwards. That was so nice and saved lots of walking! We could have made a meal just from samples provided by the vendors. We did buy a couple soup mixes, muffin, and cobbler dessert mixes. We’ll see if they taste as good as the samples. I also bought a fancy hummingbird feeder. I had six of them flying in and out early this morning. I hope they like the new one; it is supposed to be ant and bee proof. It’s hard to believe it has been 17 years since 9/11 happened. I was sitting in a classroom and for some reason the tv was on and we saw the planes hit. Some of the kids thought it was a movie. A scary sad day!

I have laundry to fold and put away, some church cards to address for tomorrow’s mail, and need to get organized for the weekend. Tomorrow is lunch bunch and Zowie has started soccer so we will go to Ian’s football game Friday night, stay overnight, and go to the soccer game Saturday morning. Couples’ card club starts Sunday night, I have to present a short program at P.E.O. on Monday, and my gals card club starts Monday night. *yawn* Hope you enjoy a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow! :wave:

gma22 09-15-2018 02:57 PM

Good afternoon. Hot and sunny here today. We came home from the seminar, which was very interesting and had some lunch. Jack is watching college football until the baseball game comes on and I’m just sitting like a lump. I think my new bp med makes me tired as it slows my heart rate.

I am going tomorrow afternoon to get my nails done then come home and fix dinner I guess. Something keeps coming up that I don’t get to the nail salon and now am in “crisis.” :lol: One nail popped off so will have to have them put a new one on.

I did get my hair done yesterday but forgot to ship back the shoes. I really like them but will need a wide. Should have gone with my gut and got the wide in the first place. I wanted them for colder months.

Jean: You are always so busy. Several years back I went to some craft fair and bought “mixes” from vendors who had yummy samples. Mine sure didn’t taste like theirs did. I think they added stuff to the samples to get you to buy. I bought this dip mix that was ghastly but theirs was delicious. Irks me no end when people do that. I excuse myself and apologize a million times when I use my scooter. My bil used to run people down on purpose!!! He was so rude.

Well, I think a nap is in my future. Talk to you later.

Jean 09-16-2018 05:22 PM

Good Afternoon! Another sunny, breezy, hot and humid day in my neighborhood today. We went to church this morning because I had to pick up money; a 35 minute sermon and so cold in the sanctuary, I was glad when we finally finished! I’ve spent the afternoon working on my program for P.E.O. tomorrow. We went to Ian and Zowie’s homecoming parade on Friday. Ian marched in the band, then had to hand off his saxophone and rush to the end of the parade to ride on the football float. Zowie marched in the middle school band. Every class marches in the parade and does some sort of cheer as they go by. They won the football game, 40-15. Saturday morning was Zowie’s soccer game and it was miserably hot! They lost; Jason was mad because they don’t have practices and age ranges from 4th through 7th graders on the team. We were there long enough that my watch and sandal strap tan lines are back. It was late afternoon when we got home and both of us were tired.

“Gma,” Hope you feel perkier today. :D Bob made the comment that he wonders if the fair samples tasted better than when we make the mixes at home. I just read the muffin directions and it is for mini muffins. I’m going to try to make regular size and see if it will work. I gave my mini pan to Beth and am not going to buy another one! This sure isn’t soup weather and we are supposed to be hot again tomorrow. I won’t complain because I know what weather is right around the corner. I’m just so thankful we aren’t on the east coast! I am due for a pedicure but hope to at least get my nails done this week. I go first thing so usually am first in the door. I’m not very good at waiting!

I need to put my report papers together and change clothes for card club later. Have a nice rest of your day! :wave:

gma22 09-18-2018 06:53 AM

Good morning! Gonna be pretty hot here again today. Went again to the doctor yesterday and finally got all the meds straightened out, I think. Now if I could get the Medicare/Tricare thing straightened out. I called yesterday and their system is down. Good grief!!!! I told her I knew she was just an agent but I am fed up not getting any help. She made me mad when she said “they” were frustrated and upset too. Really? I just told her goodbye and hung up. I talked to Jack and blew off steam about it.

I am going to go out and get my nails done today and take a package to the post office but that’s about it. My house is dreadful but I’ve been runing all over town trying to get this insurance thing fixed. I need to get another load of laundry done this morning or at least started before I head out today.

Jean: I don’t know how you keep up with the kids activities. You remind me of a ping pong ball. :lol: I take it the weather was chilly but they didn’t want to start the furnaces at church? Guess it’d keep the devil away at least. Did you see all the ridiculous media reports on the hurricane? They are making a laughingstock out of people’s misery. Unfortunately, the rash of hurricanes the last couple years are making people ignore the fact people involved are in trouble. Sad.

Well everyone have a good day.

Jean 09-18-2018 06:11 PM

Good Afternoon! The sun is peeking out after a day of clouds, wind, and sporadic pouring rain. I went to get my nails done first thing this morning then braved WM. When I went in it was just cloudy but when I was ready to leave the first downpour had started. Several of us stood in the entrance waiting for it to slow down. I was lucky and parked close then was smart enough to wear my raincoat. I went to church after lunch to count money. We never balance when this gal counts with me so three hours later I took the deposit to the bank. Our figures didn’t agree with the bank either. I just tell the teller to change the figures and go on my merry way.

“Gma,” glad you were able to visit with your doctor and straighten out your meds. Good luck with the rest! Sometimes I feel like a ping pong ball! I don’t like it when several things are scheduled in a row but sometimes that is just the way the calendar falls. I just found out that a young gal (43-44?) in our bell choir has cancer. Several years ago they thought she had appendicitis and it turned out to be colon cancer. Now it has returned and in her stomach. She was a year or two behind Jason in school, married a local guy who is taking over the family bank, and has three young sons. She is a fitness trainer, runner, very healthy life style, etc. I feel so bad for her and her family. Our church heating and cooling system hasn’t worked right for years! :mad: Sunday was actually a nice morning and we could have had the church windows open. When we remodeled “they” fixed our stained glass windows so they no longer open, and installed a layer of safety glass on the outside of the windows. The four windows depict scenes from the Bible and are irreplaceable. They are huge and were taken apart piece by piece then laid out like a puzzle, marking pieces to be sure they were put back together correctly. Anyhow, the church is divided into areas with temperatures controlled by “smart” computers - NOT. I always take a sweater or jacket with me. Our church had a special collection for Florence last Sunday. I can’t imagine all the destruction.

I have WM purchases to put away and then need to think about something for supper. I’m thinking it should be Bob’s night to cook! ;) Hope you enjoy a nice evening! :wave:

Jean 09-19-2018 02:46 PM

Good Afternoon! More rain, wind, and sunshine today with lots of thunder and lightning early this morning. I’ve accomplished quite a bit this morning and next will put together a casserole for the new mom in Bob’s office. She is bringing the babies tomorrow to meet everyone but I may miss them because of a brunch I committed to a month ago. The twins were born on 9/11 and will have their first professional pictures taken tomorrow. “Mom” is braver than I would be! Otherwise our hectic schedule continues. Hope all is well with you and you enjoy a wonderful Wednesday! :wave:

gma22 09-21-2018 08:53 AM

Good morning. One more hot day then it’s going to cool off for the next 2 weeks at least. It was 96 here yesterday!! I went out to the base and picked up the rest of my meds. It was terribly hot. I have to say their pharmacy system is top notch. It is very, very big and I have to say it’s very efficient. It was really busy. You have to go into the Navy Exchange building and I walked past a gorgeous handbag. {{{sigh}}} I kept my hands off of it though. :lol:

Jack faxed my information to DEERS yesterday about being on Medicare so I hope I get a call soon that it’s all taken care of. If the ID office would have done it right in the first place it wouldn’t now be a huge issue. We are saving a lot of money getting meds through the base pharmacy and the only down side is going out there to pick stuff up. Luckily, it’s 90 days so don’t have to go too often.

Jean: I am always amazed at your stamina with everything you do volunteer wise and then with the family. That poor young woman in your church. It is so sad when you think you’ve beat it and it comes back. Makes me ashamed when I gripe about my aches and pains. God has been very good to us. So what gastronomical delight did Bob come up with for dinner? Jack went and got Olive Garden last night.

Everyone have a good weekend.

Jean 09-21-2018 03:49 PM

Good Afternoon! It was 50 degrees this morning and VERY windy. We have uprooted trees and large broken tree branches down all over town. The sun has come out but the wind is still cold. I am so thankful the football game will be inside tonight! We are having lots of area flooding so hoping we won’t have any detours on our way to the game. This morning was my once a month coffee date; I just got home from doing the end of the week gift shop paperwork and bringing the money home to count. We will be leaving in an hour or so, no point in starting any new projects now. I didn’t sleep very well last night, kept waking up for no apparent reason. A short nap is sounding pretty good.

“Gma,” the humidity came back a few days ago but today was a shock for sure. Can you pick up meds when you do your grocery shopping? That would be nice to save a trip. :yes: I appreciate the 90 days refills; it seems like before we were going every week for the two of us. We ended up going to a local restaurant for nachos. As it turned out they were really busy with a booth being cleaned for a couple sitting at the bar. She was a teacher with me and Bob knows her husband so they invited us to share the booth with them. We had a nice time catching up and by the time we left we were the last ones in the place. I try not to complain because we have SO much to be thankful for!

The dishwasher is finished so guess I will unload it before I take a cat nap. Hope you have a nice day! :wave:

Jean 09-22-2018 05:34 PM

Happy Saturday! The sun is shining but it is cool outside. I have a load of laundry in the washer and another in the dryer. Right now I am taking a break from creating my annual report for the hospital auxiliary meeting on Thursday. Not that anyone else would notice but I always worry that my figures will be way off. Since our register isn’t a smart computer we can’t adjust for sales, etc. We are donating $10,000 to the auxiliary for their projects so it has been a good year for the gift shop. Ian’s team won their game last night, 46-0, and remain undefeated. Sitting inside was the best imo! The soccer game for today was cancelled because the fields are underwater. We were both glad! :cp: Maddy’s homecoming was last night and a wonderful time was had by all according to Beth. Bob sings at church tomorrow so need to iron his usual white dress shirt and whatever I decide to wear. Hope you are enjoying a nice day and doing something fun! :wave:

gma22 09-24-2018 01:32 PM

Good afternoon. It is cooler this week but still lower 80’s. Raining all day today on and off but doesn’t seem to be heavy at all. Jack says he wants to get the oil changed in Mariner on Sat and get his haircut on Sunday. They don’t open until nonn on Sundays.

We did shopping this weekend and came home and vacuum sealed veg and meats. Took awhile, but now everything will last without freezer burn. Other than grocery shopping not much else went on with us.

I need to get upstairs and clean bathrooms before Jack gets home. I also have a load of laundry to fold when dryer turns off. I bought three bottles of nail polish that are holographic so hope I like them as they weren’t cheap. They should be here today so I’ll go tomorrow and get my nails and toes done I guess. I bought Jack a digital tire pressure guage that should be here today too.

Jean: The pharmacy isn’t open on the weekends when we grocery shop so we have to make a special trip out there to pick them up. We’ll try and get as many as possible to cut down on the number of trips we have to make. Maddy and Ian sure have grown up. Ian has really gotten tall. How long was the trip to SD for the football game?

I guess I better get going with the bathrooms as they sure don’t clean themselves. Have a good week.

Jean 09-24-2018 05:01 PM

Good Afternoon! It’s a beautiful day in my neighborhood, sunny and warm enough to have a sliding door open this afternoon. Church counting went 100% better and faster than last week! I was done and gone before the secretary got there to open the office at 9. I stopped by the bank to deposit the gift shop money then for a much needed pedicure. I figure sandal days are very limited so didn’t take time for polish. I stopped at Walgreens to put my name on the shingles shot list. They only get so many and they go fast. I have laundry in the washer and dryer so will need to fold towels shortly.

“Gma,” we are supposed to get some rain later today and again tomorrow. Farmers won’t be happy; Bob made two semi trips to the elevator yesterday. Fields are still too wet but farmers are working on the end rows which are ready first and always beans. Grocery shopping has become my least favorite chore, maybe because neither grocery store carries everything, (brand, size, etc.) that I usually buy. I don’t think I’ve seen holographic nail polish, will have to do a search. Hope you like them. Time wise the game was about an hour and a half away, just north of Sioux City. It was closer because we could drive most of the way on four lane highway or interstate. We didn’t go the way we usually would go (more 80mph interstate) :rolleyes: because of flooding detours. It is hard to believe how fast the grandkids have grown up. Makes me sad to think their games and concerts will be over in five/six years.

I need to unpack another box of old dishes to see what is in them. I am giving my mother’s set of sterling silverware, a set of stem water glasses and matching dessert plates to the bed and breakfast lady. It makes me feel good to know they will be used and loved. Enjoy the rest of your marvelous Monday! :wave: