Old 04-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias — #22

Good Afternoon! It’s another sunny and nice 66 degrees day in my neighborhood this afternoon! It feels like spring might actually be here! We balanced on the first try at church this morning which was nice after not counting last week. This afternoon I went to the gift shop and worked on checking in the greeting cards and filling the card rack. Wednesday will be my day to work there; seems like I just did that. Not much is newsy from here today. I have a load of towels to fold and a load to get in the dryer so best keep moving. Hope you’ve all had a good day and enjoy your evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:21 AM   #2  

Good morning. Once again I have been remiss getting in here. Yesterday was busy as it was the day they installed the scooter lift. It is all done and works fine except it takes awhile getting the scooter undone from the holding straps, etc. It is only a problem at the house though. We decided when we take the scooter, we will pull up parallel to the garage, I will unload it and go park it then Jack will just back up or go down and turn around and then put the car in the garage. We have some jackass that is parking his huge truck across in front of his garage and it makes getting into ours tough. We have to go to the end of the drive, turn around and then come back and pull in from the other direction. They aren’t supposed to park outside the garages for that very reason, but they continue to do it. I have no problem for a couple minutes but using it as a parking lot, no. You don’t want to start something with them though as you never know how they’ll react. It’s a pain.

We saved the labor charges on the hitch install as the guy got called away for an emergency and was late getting back for our appointment and we received the $200 cover for the scooter free because the thing wasn’t counted in their inventory so they couldn’t charge us. At least that’s what the service manager said. I think he was just being nice because it cost $2200 to get the thing. It took them 4 hours but it’s all done now and we can have our trunk space back. The only bad thing is it blocks our back up sensors so when you put the car in reserve it whines at you until you put it in drive, but we’ll get used to that and just have to be careful. One good thing though, I can drive the scooter into the area where the containers were instead of leaving it covered out on the deck. The garage roof doesn’t leak, just on the ground so it will stay dry.

I slipped in the bathroom a couple days ago and did a semi split. I caught the sink so didn’t fall, but my groin and hip muscles still hurt and it messed with my knee of couse. It is better this morning but sure has been tough to get around the last couple days. It is always something.

Jean: We are finally moving into regular temps now. We are getting a lot of rain though. We put a bunch of stuff out for trash pick up today from cleaning the garage and they are going to hate us. We put our old fake Christmas tree out and the box got wet and is falling apart. They aren’t gonna be happy having to pick the pieces up instead of the whole box. Hopefully the snow is at an end for you finally. I saw the coolist thing on FB this morning. It is how to make that cake fondant using melted marshmallow. She made flowers and such and it was pretty neat. Don’t know if Beth or Amanda are into cake decorating for their family, but an easy way to do it.

Well, I need to balance my checkbook and get my chores done. Have a good day everyone.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #3  

Good Morning! The sun is shining, a breeze is blowing, and we are supposed to hit 70 this afternoon. Once the sun moves around I can open the sliding doors! There is laundry in the washer and vacuuming is next on my agenda. I need to run a couple errands after lunch. Yesterday I worked in the gift shop and will again tomorrow for a friend whose husband is going through chemo treatments. Reminds me every day to be thankful for our good health.

“Gma,” I’m glad you were able to get your garage organized and the scooter lift installed. Does it get in your way when you have things to put in the trunk? I can never reach in far enough without touching the bumper which always seems to have a layer of dirt on it. I wish car washes, or car designers, would figure out something so that the back ends of SUVs would be squeaky clean after a wash. The guy across the street has fishing buddies who come and park right at the end of our driveway or else in front of our mailbox. Same guy who lets his two labs run the neighborhood. Our regular mailman is good and will get out to put mail in the mailbox or Bob will take it from him if he happens to see him coming. It seems like everyone who visits over there drives a big pickup. The weekenders next door to them all drive pickups, SUVs, and vans. It gets a little crowded sometimes. I saw the FB video making the roses. I wonder how they taste, or if they are edible after sitting.

The washer should be done so time for the next load and to rev up the vacuum. Hope you are enjoying a terrific Thursday!
Old 04-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #4  

Good afternoon! I worked on housecleaning today and that was it. Hubby has been running a fever and says his knees and ankles ache which usually means a virus coming on but shows no cold or stomach flu symptoms. I made chicken noodle soup for him and tomato for me for dinner because he didn’t want anything heavy.

If he feels well tomorrow I need to pick up stuff at WM. He said he wants to get his hair cut early tomorrow.

I feel very tired today. My allergies sure haven’t let up and our pollen count and trees are very high. I get tired of the headache more than anything.

Jean: Jack says he has no trouble getting into the trunk. One thing is it sets off the backup alarm so Jack disabled it. I don’t know why people are so darn rude. I can’t imagine your whole street is lined with cars that there is no where to park.

Everyone have a nice night and good day tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:46 PM   #5  

Good Evening! The sun was shining all day and it’s been a beautiful day in my neighborhood at 68 degrees. I worked in the gift shop this morning and spent most of the time visiting with the volunteer in the coffee shop. It was pretty quiet all over the hospital. I did the weekly paperwork and brought the money home to count. It was a slow week so didn’t take long to count and I took it to the bank. It was too late to start any projects so cleared off the counter and called it good.

“Gma,” I hope Jack feels better tomorrow! The stomach flu is making the rounds again here, must be the crazy weather we’ve been having. We never park in the street but it gets a little tricky backing out when it’s bumper to bumper on both sides of the street. Since we are in the back of the house, at least we don’t have to look at the menagerie. It’s not every day which is good.

Hope you all enjoy a nice evening and have a great weekend!
Old 05-01-2018, 07:42 AM   #6  

Good morning. Crazy last few days trying to get things done and with a sick husband. He felt ok on Saturday. He got his haircut, came home and we went shopping at WM. Never again on Saturday early afternoon. It was totally nuts there. Well, we got home, got the groceries unloaded as well as the scooter, got some lunch and put everything away. He went and picked up his Father’s Day present from me at Sears (it was on sale for $200 off so figured he’d just get it early.) It’s a big rolling tool box. The thing is huge and he struggled getting it in the house, unloaded and getting the wheels on. Afterwards I noticed Jack didn’t look too great and ask him if he was ok. He wasn’t feeling well so I took his temp and it was 102! I gave him some Advil and told him to try and nap, which he did. The temp came back down and he went to bed early. The temp has been popping up and down and he said Sunday he thought it might be his tooth. It’s his front tooth and when he was a kid, he knocked out both front teeth. His mom just shoved them both back up into his mouth as they cam out root and all. Anyway, I found Jack a dentist and he went yesterday. I guess the tooth’s nerve has thinned or narrowed or shortened or something along with some kind of calcification. He said he couldn’t do the work as he didn’t have what is needed to do it so Jack has to go to and endodontist. He put him on antibiotics and gave him pain meds. So we’ll get the infection cleared up and he’ll go and get the tooth fixed. I imagine this will cost a lot but it has to be done.

I got my grandson’s graduation announcement. Can’t believe he’s graduating though. Seems like just yesterday he was a baby. He’s a great kid. We are very proud of him.

I have laundry today and need to clean up the upstairs bathrooms. We are going on a trip for a few days a week from tomorrow and am trying to get everything done and pull clothes to pack, etc. Jack says he thinks everything will go in the trunk now that we have the scooter on a lift instead of in the trunk.

I guess we’ll have to deal with the guy parking in front of his garage. He saw Jack was having trouble getting the toolchest on the handcart thing and helped him. If it didn’t make it difficult to get out of the garage I could care less, but these are not regular width streets. Just one vehicle can crowd the street. From what I understand, garages were not part of the original comples. By building them, it narrowed the street somewhat.

Boy, the website is acting goofy today.

Jean: Sorry I haven’t gotten in here and posted. I guess I need to do it first thing when I come downstairs in the morning. I imagine your weather has warmed up quite a bit.

Everyone have a good day. Off to get the day started.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #7  

Good morning to everybody! Gonna be hot here today. It’s nice for the temps to finally be up. I have bathrooms to clean today and I need to decide on clothes for the trip. We have warm areas traveling then cool when we get there. I may have to do half summer half fall stuff.

Jack is doing ok. He has no pain and his off and on fever should stop soon as he is on his second day of antibiotics.

Everyone have a great day today.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #8  
Short & Sassy

Morning ladies! Thought I better be checking in here so you gals wouldn't forget me!

Knee is coming along fine. I've graduated from the walker to a cane which gives me a lot more freedom. Therapy is rough though. I dread going each time but I always feel so good when I leave. I haven't been very faithful about doing exercises at home which is my own stupid fault! Hoping to get back to church this Sunday for the first time since the procedure.

GMA: So glad your fall in the bathroom wasn't serious! Is your grandson planning to go to college? Glad Jack's doing better.

Jean: I saw where Bob had some surgery...is he doing okay? Is all your snow gone? You really got hit with it!

Nothing exciting going on around here. Therapy this afternoon and then a haircut. My hairdresser's having shoulder surgery in June and is going to be off 6 to 8 weeks. I'll be quite shaggy by the time she returns!

Everyone have a great day!
Midget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:23 PM   #9  

Good Morning! I have been to WM this morning, only because Amanda asked for a mini whisk for her birthday and the Hallmark store didn’t have one. We give the “big” kids money but I like to wrap a little something too. She will get a bottle of wine for her new wine rack too. The dishwasher and washer did their jobs while I was gone so need to unload them.

“Gma,” just thinking about Jack’s two teeth being knocked out and his mother shoving them back in, gives me the heebie jeebies! I hope he is on the mend and can get the tooth fixed asap. Poor guy! I’m sure Thomas is anxious to move on to the next chapter in his life. It is hard to believe he is graduating. Our weather has been warmer but very windy which brings out the leaf buds on the trees. With the last two snow storms blowing from the east, off the lake, my windows were filthy. Bob washed them and it promptly rained the next evening. We have a crazy few days coming up. Tomorrow Maddy has a soccer game at 5, then she is in a play at 7; we plan to go to the game, skip the play, then head to the make up program which is the Glenn Miller orchestra and chorus. Friday we are invited to a wine tasting/vendor/craft show in Sioux Falls. We are staying overnight to try out our new bed. Saturday morning we will go to band contest for both Ian and Zowie, then head for Maddy’s Saturday night play performance. We are counting church money on Sunday afternoon because I have a May breakfast first thing Monday morning. We double up on some games the next week but will decide which to go to when the time comes. I am betting there will be some rain outs. I now you are looking forward to a few days away, hope the weather is good.

Sandy, it’s good to see you today! I have heard others say the same thing about therapy but admit the exercises are so important. Hang in there! Bob came through his surgery fine, no pain but is stiff after sitting for very long. The surgeon told him it just takes time to heal. His mom always used to say getting old isn’t for sissies. We laughed at the time but not any more!

I need to put my WM purchases away and think of something for lunch — leftovers I think! Hope you enjoy a nice day!
Old 05-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #10  

Good morning ladies. Going to be another hot one today. I think it got up to 87 yesterday. Can’t complain as I am just glad the cold is gone.

Igot the checkbook balanced, noticed I have a pr of shoes, a duster jacket and a tank top coming today so had to unlock the gate. Ever since they fixed our garage door opener, when it gets very hot or cold the darn thing doesn’t want to open. Jack says it’s already started that nonsense. Eventually I want one we can connect to our cellphones that have cameras. It’s just irritating to have to mess with trying to get it up.

Jack is feeling much better. He said he’ll make a dentist appt as soon as we get back and get the tooth fixed. I often wonder why they don’t have dental insurance comparitive to health insurance and frankly why eyes and ears, glasses and hearing aids aren’t part of it too. Dentists want you to come in twice a year but yet a lot of people just cannot afford it. You need a hearing aid, it comes out of pocket as does glasses.

Sandy: Good to hear from you. Oh yes, Thomas is quite an intelligent young man. I am not sure where he is going to college. We don’t get to see him. My only contact is through mailing him greeting cards. At one time he want to go to Georgia Tech, then University of Chicago and who knows. He has the grades to go anywhere he wishes so don’t know what he will do.

Jean: You have one crazy week and weekend. You two are always on the go. I bought a set of whisks a few weeks back that I love. One of them is the little one and it is great for scrambling eggs and such. I told Jack we are going to have to hand wash the car now with the lift on back. Ick! I may just take it to one of these guys that set up in parking lots and wash your car. I need to get power wash stuff and do our windows. I don’t know if there is a spigot out front, but I doubt it.

Everyone have a good day. I have a waxing appt today and yea my hair appt tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #11  

Good Morning! It’s a beautiful day in my neighborhood with a bright blue sky and sunshine! I ran an errand this morning and have been doing some laundry. Need to get clothes together for the weekend. Ernie will think he is an orphan again.

“Gma,” I hope Jack gets along ok with his tooth. Bob went to the dentist yesterday and has two old cracked fillings that need to be replaced. One on each side of his mouth so two trips because the dentist doesn’t want to numb his whole face. For some reason he has to have more than usual, of whatever they use to numb the tooth. Bob has a new spring for his garage door. It broke twice and the guy cobbled it together because he didn’t have one on hand. Third time is the charm.

Bob is home for lunch so need to get moving. Not much else is newsy from here. Hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday and a nice weekend!

Last edited by Jean; 05-04-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #12  

Good moring. Dreary here today. Supposed to rain today off and on but tomorrow will be sunny. We are leaving a WM run until tomorrow when the weather is nice.

I am laundering, dewrinkling clothes to start packing. I have my usual bazillion lists. Since we have to come back early so we can be at Thomas’s graduation, we will probably go back. No big deal as Jack is ok on vacation.

I was sitting next to a young gal waiting for my waxing lady and she was going on and on to her two friends about she just couldn’t take school and the rules and everything and she just up and quit. She was probably 15. Just another idiot kid who thinks she’ll have someone provide for her I guess. Then yesterday listening to the owner of the hair studio as she was doing my hair talk about her sweet baby grandson who is only 4 months old. He had some birth trauma and so has some disabilities that may or may not right itself. It irked me one kid had a chance she blew and another with the possibilty of a hard time down the road.

Jean: I see your governor got up guts and passed a strong abortion bill. Will see how much stink that causes. We had to have our spring replaced a few years ago. Our garages have no inner or outer handles so it can be a bugger to get them up manually. Have a good time with the kids!

Everyone have a good weekend. I am off to clean up breakfast dishes and then when Jack gets back from Krogers, I want to clean the inside of the car for the trip.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #13  

Good Evening! It has been a “catch up” day around here. It was a beautiful, gorgeous day with no wind, sunshine, and warm enough to have windows and doors open. We got home tired from the whirlwind of activities; wine and walk was a bust because Amanda’s parents decided to come and were late so by the time we got done eating the walk was about over. Zowie’s team was out played big time and they lost their game Saturday morning. Her solo judge was very kind and positive giving her good points to improve her tone on her saxophone. But on the way back to the car the tears began to flow, I felt bad for her and tried to convince her that we had all been through the contest routine so knew how she was feeling. She was supposed to play first thing in the morning but changed her time so she could play in the soccer game. Just thinking about it all day, and being at the end would be nerve racking too. We headed to Sioux City in pouring rain and met Beth and Will for supper. Kolby had been to a birthday party so didn’t want to come and Maddy had to be at school early for pictures. Her play only lasted an hour and was a musical so that was fun. Some of the lead singers really have amazing talent for as young as they are. She went to a cast party afterwards and we headed home. I counted the gift shop money, started laundry, then went to count money at church this afternoon. I am tired tonight! Tomorrow morning is a P.E.O. breakfast at 9:30 to start the week, soccer games, and lunch bunch. Ian is supposed to get his baseball schedule sometime this week. I am looking forward to his games since we are beginning to know other parents and grandparents.

“Gma,” unfortunately, a lot of kids in today’s world don’t like rules and/or think the rules apply to them. Once again poor parenting skills imo. Bob cleaned, vacuumed, and washed both our vehicles today. We come home from seeing the kids and the cars are plastered with bugs. Many nights he will head to the car wash as soon as we get home. The rain just smears them around if we have to turn on the wipers. I hope you have a great time and safe trip! When is graduation?

I need to round up clothes for tomorrow. I am filling in for part of a practice initiation so have to wear black slacks and a white top. Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday!
Old 05-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #14  

Good Morning! It’s going to be another nice weather day in my neighborhood. The sun is shining and it’s already 70 degrees. I am skipping my much anticipated May breakfast this morning. We ordered chicken late yesterday afternoon from a local restaurant. I spent most of the night in and out of the bathroom; I’m thinking food poisoning because I’ve never had my stomach hurt like it did. Bob is fine so may have been a touch of flu but sure don’t feel like eating in a group this morning. I’m bummed because the hostess lives on the lake and has several beautiful china sets that she entertains with, always a treat to go to her house. So far my tea and crackers have settled in so I’m hopeful the worst is over. Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday today!
Old 05-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #15  

Good morning! Going to be hot today and nice and sunny. You never know about weather anymore.

Been struggling badly with arm and shoulder issues and since it’s my dominent arm, it makes it worse. When we get back I have to make a doctor’s appt and talk to him about what’s going on. It was so bad on Sunday I had a heating pad on my shoulder and one wrapped around my arm. I had even taken one of Jack’s pain pills but it didn’t help. By one AM I came downstairs, took 3 Advil and put heating pads on and finally slept in the recliner. I went and got my nails done yesterday but by 1 PM my arm was hurting and the bones were “popping” so I definitely have something going on there. The muscle in the front of my arm if you pressed on it was knotted and bruised feeling. Tough to get old.

Going to have to give the house a good cleaning when we get back. It’s a mess right now.

Jean: Hope you’re feeling better by now. Sounds like you had a rough night. Thomas graduates next Monday night. Poor Zoe. It’s hard to do competition stuff unless you have a will of iron. I always messed up my piano recital because I got so nervous.

Have a good day. I’ll try and get in here if I remember but wil be really busy for the next week.