Old 05-31-2018, 02:51 PM   #181  

Afternoon all.

Susie – Genny’s so lucky to have a great friend like you. == I’ll have to look up that book – always up for a good read! == Commuter bike is just a regular bike, but it’s just a 3-speed, lower end on the price/quality. I put a basket on it to carry my cable, purse, etc. Good enough to get me 6 blocks to the train station/home and other short trips. I don’t worry about anyone really wanting to steal it. My real bike is a bit nicer and has more gears/speeds. Lighter weight. == I think I need a buddy to go shopping with. I just don’t like it and I'm not good at it. Having someone else there would probably help me find & consider things I might never even look at on my own. Haven’t done shopping with friends since probably HS/college, when it was still fun, LOL. Now it's just a chore...

Annie - Sorry you have a cold! AND you have to work and do those !@##$% compliance sessions. After you’ve done them once, they are soooo boring – ethics, insider trading, etc. Hope you slog through your day and can get some good rest tonight. You need to catch up on your sleep!

Happy – How did the pool workout go today? == Hope you don’t have any hail damage!! == How awful about the turtles. Drivers who intentionally aim for them are despicable.

Hellos to Ceejay, Shad and Dee!

==

I did the rower last night at the fitness center and then did some abs and stretching on the mat. I need to sign up for the equipment orientation session and get back to strength training. Or just alternate my rowing workouts with BE workouts at home.

I rode my bike to the train station today! And I might ride it to the fitness center tonight!

Lunch was with an out of town friend (we met on the old BE forum years and years ago) whom I’d never met face to face! It was great meeting him. He flew in last night and is taking Amtrak out to Portland. I’m excited for him. Just hope Amtrak doesn’t have any issues. I hear they have a lot of delays…

Well, I’m not really looking forward to this networking thing I have later today, but I suppose it’ll be educational and good to practice on people internally. Who knows, it could lead to good contacts and possible opportunities.

Okay, back to work. Have a good rest of the day everyone.

Last edited by Laura705; 06-01-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:00 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Default Afternoon

For some reason I'm a bit depressed. Back tomorrow when I'm home.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:06 AM   #183  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Afternoon all,
Got a few minutes to spare before I need to do something else so figured I should be here. I'm getting a bit like Happy and aching in a few places. The local pharmacist gave me a blister pack of Diclofenac to help and it does. We've had some cold weather lately. Now if I tell you what is cold over here then you will know that I am a whiney kiwi. Cold is relative and we woke up to 9C today and it has managed to get to 23C. Lovely if you can get out in the sun. Cool if you can't. 9C = 46F and 23C = 74F or there about. So you can see it is pleasant in the day time and bloody freezing overnight.

The tomatoes have gone berserk over the last couple of weeks and I am picking about 12 ripe ones per day. This year I planted a variety called Tommy Toes. They are not a grape or cherry tomato but not a full size one either. They taste just great. I'm also picking rocket and today I notice that the potatoes are up and some of the beetroot are ready. Not huge but taste good.

I had an arborist out early this week and had some branches taken out of the trees, particularly the ones that hung over the fence, footpath and the road. I could guess what would happen if one of the branches broke and hit a pedestrian or a car. Law suits abound. The lovely man was up that tree and lopped off branches and then took down the two self sown palms that were in the wrong place. Makes a lot more light in that corner of the garden. Bit of a mess to clean up tho' even if they did take most of the leaves and branches down and mulch them Silly me, I should have asked them to do some stump grinding on the trunks of the hedge I cut down last year so I can get a fencer to come in and sort out some pretty dilapidated old fence. Nothing lasts for ever.

My neighbour has sold her house and will be moving on 2nd August. She is now having sellers remorse but the contract has gone unconditional so she can't back out now. Last time I saw her which was Wednesday, she was quite depressed again. But there you go. Her son is up here at the moment so he will have to deal with it for the time being and especially since it was him that thought she should sell up and go to one of these over 50's places in the first place.

I'm off to NZ on 22nd June for 7 days. Passport came back so I am legal again. I'm going to celebrate Chris (from Japan) 70th birthday and then my sisters birthday will be on the 29th. I'd love to stay for that as well, but if you travel on weekends they bung on the cost of a ticket so I will be back on the 28th. We will just have to celebrate that early. I need to ring the cattery to get Romeo booked in and probably get him to the vet for injections and certificates otherwise he won't be able to go there. No doubt I will find other stuff to spend money on before I go as well - and of course there will be parking fees. Since I get back late at night I will park the car in the long term car park because I don't want to get the train out or a taxi which will cost more than the parking fee. DS2 will probably tell me to get a Uber but I'm not convinced about them and there was some problems a while back.

Annie, I hope you are feeling better today. It's not nice to go through a rotten winter with colds, flu's and bad lungs only to get another dose when the weather warms up. Glad to hear the tooth is working well. Gee those g/babes of yours are getting big. My little granddaughter will be 6 next month - how time flies.

Laura - sorry to hear that the foot is not improving with that machine you got to encourage bone growth. It's good that the B/F has finally done the brakes on the bike. Isn't it interesting meeting people face to face after only being on the 'net with them. Don't always get the correct picture until you meet them.

Ceejay - sorry to hear that you are feeling somewhat depressed. Hope that lifts soon. Play with the kitty, always helps to have a cuddle once in a while. Hope the niece is now co-operating with her classes and the goodwill of her family. Too bad she doesn't seem to appreciate the help she is getting.

Susie - I hope Genny is now getting better and can continue with the treatment for her cancer. It's very hard when someone is allergic to something. I'm thinking of you both.

Happy - hope you can stay home for the weekend. Not good going out in rain and storms and stupid driving. I don't mind the aches and pain of getting old, the thing that really p*sses me off is the lowering of standards and the dumbing down of society. It's all in the name of progress and personally I don't think a lot of it is progress. I can't think of anything stupider than running over a poor defenceless turtle on the road. There is no excuse for that. I can only hope the turtle didn't suffer too much. I'm glad your are working on the pool walking. So many people I know do it because of bad knees and ankles.

And I think that is about it for the time being. I'm working on what I have to do to go on this trip to the States and Canada in September/ October. I guess I am going to have to write a letter to Carla49 since she is not answering the email address that I had. Presumably she has changed it. If you are lurking Carol, then send me an email. Snail mail is not one of my favourite things. I have to think about how long I can be out of the country before it starts affecting my pension. I need to make an itinerary and then contact some friends in Arizona, New Mexico and California - work out whether I want to drive or not. It's difficult to adjust to driving on the opposite side of the road and needs practice on basically empty roads. Sometimes it seems all too hard.

Gotta go. See you later, be good or be careful.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #184  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good morning everyone,

After suffering in the blazing heat of the 80's (F) we have cooled back down to more normal temps - it's 50 degrees right now and I'm back to being chilled. Debating about turning the furnace on for a quick run to take the chill out of the house. And wondering if it's too soon to plant the garden. I'm glad I didn't pick up my planted flower pots from the nursery last week. They would have gotten pulverized in the hail storm a few days ago. Our deck looks horrid from the damage. It almost looks like the whole thing needs to be resanded and refinished and he only did it last October!!!!

I worked out in the pool for 90 minutes yesterday. Towards the end I was getting really chilled even though I was "running" and moving at a good pace. I hope I don't seem to antisocial but most of the ladies go slowly and chat and move at a very leisurely pace. Because of my low thyroid I over heat and over chill really easily so I needed to move to keep warm and I'm there to move, not to turtle paddle. Thing is, they pair off to talk and keep moving into "my" little area of the pool that is the perfect height for me - not over my head but enough of my body covered in water so I can easily work my arms and legs. It is however a nice group of ladies who are all around my age, all struggle with weight loss in our old age and makes for a nice support group. I think I was able to recruit 2 of them to join a TOPS group. We might have enough for our own chapter now. Weight Watchers downstairs on bingo night seems to be attracting more new people. I know this because they come in on the main entrance looking for the meeting which is tucked away downstairs.

We got a wonderful donation of puzzles from a couple who had about 90 of them and were cleaning house. I am off to the senior center in a few minutes to work with one of the ladies where we will separate them out - a few for each facility, some in storage and the recycled ones they will give me for the thrift shop where they are big sellers - so a win for everyone. Again I was NOT planning on working anywhere but home for the weekend and AGAIN my plans change on a dime. Of course I could have said no but that was benefitting both of my community things so...

Shad if you think you are bloody cold now... well it's going to be colder than that (both day and night) if you come up here to visit in October. Sorry to hear that your neighbor is having sellers regret. I hope that she will grow to like the over 50 community although at least out here those tend to be more pricey than a regular free standing home because of the "amenities" they offer. A big happy birthday to Chris. How is her health? Have a good time on your visit. Here it is cheaper to fly on Saturday but more pricey to fly on Sunday simply because many business travellers are travelling on Sunday to be where ever they need to be on Monday. I do agree with you about one of the more aggrivating things of aging is noticing the downfall of society. I think morals change with each generation but it seems this one is worse than those in the past.

DH texted me at bingo last night. He was driving around and saw a turtle crossing the road near to our house. So he pulled off to the side of the road, lifted the turtle and carried him across the road and set him back in the direction he was headed (from a little pond to a river I suppose). BUT as he lifted the turtle - it peed all over him. No good deed goes unpunished Turtle doesn't know how lucky it was.

Ceejay - there's been a lot going on in your life lately. Hope you get over your blues soon.

Laura - how nice to meet up with someone face to face! Glad you had a good visit. And good going on the exercise. Is BE more cardio than strength training? I hope your networking event went well. I HATED THOSE with a passion. Hard to believe from someone who is a professional talker like me, but I just wither in those situations... At least it's over.

Hello to the rest, time to get some casual clothes on and head out the door. Good thing I don't have to get fancied up for this task. Have a good weekend everyone.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #185  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Just checking in....got a noon meeting then I am heading outta here.

Boo on the turtle squash. People these days are just so rude and self-centered.

Have a wonderful weekend all...not much going on for me cept a couple of baseball games.

Hugs
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #186  

Default from my phone

Getting to go home in about an hour or so. will be getting the oil changed this afternoon.
Think my tooth pain is subsiding. Guess I should have gone to the dentist and still may if it's not complete stopped by next week.
----
Laura
How nice that you got to meet s friend from BE. How is the
"conference " thing going?

Annie
Sorry that you have a cold. feel better soon and I give you permission to sleep all weekend.

Happy
I'm glad that you dont mind helping people that seem to appreciate it. You seem a lot more relaxed.

Shad
That is perfect weather for me. Yum on the Tommy toe tomatoes. those are my favorite.

Susie
you are a really good friend to be helping your friend.

This is about it for me.

Last edited by ceejay52; 06-01-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #187  

Afternoon all (by the time I post this, I’m sure).

Hi Shad!! I hope the med helps you with the aches. == Oh, that actually sounds like nice weather to me. A nice cool night temp for good sleeping. It’s all what you’re accustomed to, of course… == Berserk, great word. Enjoy the tomatoes!! Never heard of the Tommy Toe variety. == I’m glad someone else trimmed the trees for you. Did you make sure they had proper insurance for their employee and their liability, like if the tree limb damaged something/somebody as he was cutting it down?? == Tough transition for your neighbor going from her own house to an over-50 community. I can relate – my mom’s still going through it. == Nice you’ll have the NZ trip to look forward to. As for your trip to the US – you’ll certainly have to pack a lot of clothing layers as you’ll be going the gamut of temps – from Arizona to the north woods of WI!

Happy – Sorry the deck took such a beating from the hail! == Fingers you can get a TOPS meeting/chapter going!! I know the support will be helpful. My BE friend and I have agreed to start up our workout check-ins with each other once again, we used to do that way back when. I’m gonna start logging the number/type of workouts somewhere so it’s easy to tally up. BTW, BE is all strength training, so it’s a good match with my rowing. == Oh, there’s goes your weekend of personal time…you know what Mellie would do>>> == LOL re the turtle pee. Maybe that was just his way of showing his thanks, haha.

Annie – Have a great weekend. Someone on FB posted vids of funny little folks doing the t-ball/baseball stuff. The bits with the kids batting the ball and hitting the dads in the junk got old, but the rest was sooo funny… enjoy the games this weekend.

Ceejay – I hope you’re feeling a bit better now that you’re back on your “me time”. Enjoy your weekend.

==

The networking thing was nice. Just a room full of women chatting - or shall I say NETWORKING - over drinks and apps. Nothing formal, just some opening comments by the highest level female in the company.

I rode my bike to the fitness center and then did 20 minutes of rowing and some abs, then rode home. I was beat. The heat didn’t help. Today is very nice and refreshingly cool here by the lake. Heading out for lunch right after I post this to enjoy some of this nice weather.

Everyone have a great weekend!
Old 06-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #188  

Height: 5'7"

Hi Ladies. Good news to report for Genny. She was off the ventilator on Friday. I talked to her on Saturday, it was so good to hear her voice. I was overcome and quit emotional and could not stop crying and laughing.

She got to a regular room today. She is very physically week and needs to take some physical therapy before coming home.

I spent time with her this afternoon.

Thank you for all your prayers!

I am happy to report a 1.8 lbs.loss at TOPS Thursday.

I am headed to bed. Will post more tomorow....and do peesonnels.
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:55 AM   #189  
Choose your hard

Annie - why are you on Facebook at 1am today? I hope you are not having insomnia again. I know, I should be asleep myself. But called Momma at 9pm, yakked until I excused myself at 10:30. Folded a load of clothes from the dryer and popped the next one in. Went into the hot tub for a bit to rest my sore back. Folded second load of laundry. And I don't know why I was on the computer at 12:45 myself. Good night all!
Old 06-04-2018, 01:57 AM   #190  
Choose your hard

Susie - for Genny's good news AND your weight loss. I joined a Facebook group for TOPS - hoping to have enough people to form our own chapter this week. Got some great ideas from the FB group and I was motivated to go get on the NuStep tonight. Swimming/water jogging tomorrow. I can see why you like TOPS.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #191  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Good Morning...

HAPPY...yes, couldn't sleep and depressed. Kind of two opposites, but there you go. Today is a bit better. You must just be a night person. Up all hours of the night. What do you find to talk about for so long on the phone? Not me, I just cannot stay on the phone for long.

SUSIE...good news for Genny. Hope things keep healing along this path. Yeah on the loss at TOPS. You certainly need that boost!

LAURA...Got a lot of bike riding in on these humid days. Maybe the pounds will just melt off. Wouldn't that be nice? I just don't like crowds or people enough to do the networking thing. Good for you to do that.

SHADDIE...have you pinpointed your dates for the states and being at HAPPYs? Kind of have a couple of things going on in September. Vacation the week of 15 thru 22. Then 40 year class reunion on the 29th.

CEEG...sounds like you are getting more and more time away from Sis's and back to your own roost. Good for you! Is niece doing what she is supposed to be doing?

HELLO DEE!!

Bout all, will come back later maybe.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #192  

Morning all.

Susie – Great news for Genny. == Good job with the weight loss!

Happy – You must get your night owl tendencies from your mom. My mom doesn’t like to get phone calls after about 7 pm…

Annie – Hang in there, I know it’s a tough time for you.

Hellos to the rest of you!

==
Weekend was fine. Didn’t do anything interesting Saturday. Laundry. Picked up an online order at JCP. Two tops, both of which I’m keeping. Glad they worked out. Sunday morning I rode my bike to the fitness center and did 30 min. of rowing and some abs. Went to a couple home improvement stores later on for a few things – light bulbs and other exciting stuff.

That’s it for me. Back later to see what everyone’s up to. TTFN.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #193  

Oh, meant to add onto Annie's comment re Shad's visit. My timing is similar to Annie's - I've got my grade school reunion on 9/22 (Sat.). Also the office move date is Friday, 10/5. I have that day off...creating a 3-day weekend.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #194  

I've tried to get on with the tablet but all the site wouldn't load. Downloaded the chrome so maybe this will work better than M------E----.
My niece found out this afternoon that she has completed the 20 hours for her classes and has 8 hours of group to do. And a couple of more sessions with her one on one.
I did have about week off last week due to the sis's vacation. I'm ready for this ordeal to be done with.
I brought the cat with me today. I tried to put her in her carrier but she was not happy with that. So I let her stay in the floor board in the back. I think she slept most of the way. I called her and she came to the front and laid down in the passenger seat. She's escaped once while I've been at the condo. She ran upstairs but laid down so I could pick her up and take her back to our condo.
Getting excited out my 50th reunion the last of June. Just need to reserve the hotel room.
Not much going on right now.

more later
Old 06-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #195  
Choose your hard

Hello, hello

Weighing in on the dates - DH is going out west for a photography class September 25 and won't be back until after October 3. So then with other's plans it looks like Sept 15 through October 6 not good. Far more enjoyable to do things here early September. By October 7 winds have turned cold - might have a colorful autumn but temps will be close to freezing at night and by mid October we might even have snow. There won't be any water / boat activities much after mid September. Most of the kidlettes have gone back to school by Labor Day (first Monday in September) that's the last hurrah of the season, things get more blessedly quiet here after that. I wouldn't even think of entertaining anyone while DH is away - he is the "caretaker" of the place - many things I can't do without him and he is also the Uber driver. Sorry Shad but I'm not driving to Minneapolis to pick you up by myself! Even DH does not like driving in Minneapolis - they are psychotic drivers!!!

Oh and did I tell you last week at night I was looking out the front door and a very large black bear was nosing around for the scraps on the ground. There wasn't much there because the deer are off in the woods dropping fawns and the turkeys are also out in the woods building nests and laying eggs so it's kind of quiet around here. We just feed the birds right now. This was a pretty big bear. He got one of the hummingbird feeders DH had in the tree - pulverized it to smithereens! So DH takes the bird and hummingbird feeders down each night and puts them away.

I went pool walking this morning. There was another lady in the pool when I got there doing laps so I just started walking halfway across the pool and back - we usually walk side to side instead of laps from shallow to deep end. Several more ladies showed up right after me and I think they sort of interferred with her swimming (they are not respectful I noticed) so the lady went to the deepest end and just started swimming side to side. One of the ladies is a big yammer mouth. Lordy she talks and talks and talks and while she asks you questions it's more so she can talk more and I swear she thinks she's an expert on EVERYTHING. Anyway the pool was chilly today and with my hypo thyroid I get chilled easy AND I am there to do a work out so I water jog and take long strides and work my arms and legs and try to push myself but I am constantly moving for an hour. Mrs Blah Blah stood in the middle of our walking area and just stood and talked with one of the other ladies who comes in the pool (and is kind of crippled up) but clearly she is more interested in visiting and sitting in the hot tub than she is in actual exercise. Which is ok but GO TO THE FAR END OF THE POOL TO DO THIS!!! They are both taller. The talker is supposed to be exercising to lose 50 pounds to have knee surgery but I was thinking, you ain't going to lose it if you just stand there doing nothing. Do what you choose just please don't mess up my routine. Afterwards I took a shower but it was so humid in the pool and shower area that I could not dry off - even trying to use the blow dryer on my body. Could not get my bra on - it kept rolling up I was going to go braless but I just couldn't - too jiggly. Since I was in town I had plans to pick up a few groceries and stop at the farmers market for eggs. I didn't want to go home, dry off and then go all the way back into town again so instead I went into the ladies room over by the conference rooms where it's dryer and after about 10 minutes of struggling I got my bra on! Didn't bother with hair and makeup - looked like a vagabond but I went and got my shopping done. I must have really worked hard in the pool because I was exhausted. Had about 10 bags of groceries to lug into the house - the man who bags at the store is a kindly guy and only packs a few items in a bag so they don't rip - hence all the bags. DH was showering after working in the yard so I had to lug all the groceries in. Whew! I am suspending my Hello Fresh shipments for the next several weeks - contemplating dropping it altogether. It started good but I think the quality went downhill. The chicken has a texture of cheap chicken - DH said it has an unpleasant texture like an eraser. I have a stock of recipe cards - will remake some of the better dinners with my own ingredients.

I am going to the senior center this week for a few days but I am making them half days and minimizing my time. I have a bunch of stuff coming up, need to reschedule my dental appointment and fit that in there somehow too.

Annie - I'm sorry you are bummed out and not sleeping. Always available to talk if you need it - and if you need a momma or grandma hug, I am always around plenty of seniors to give you some beefy love When it comes to the phone I am a natural babbler. My sister and I "visit" on the phone and we have been known to talk for 3 hours. Sometimes that's longer than I want to talk but it's ok. As for Mom, like a balloon full of air, once you call her she just carries on and on and on until she's done. Since she doesn't get out much and her world is limited, very often she talks about the same things over and over and over or tells me about people that I don't know (and admittedly don't care about). Sometimes if I'm tired or busy it gets to me but I try to be patient and remember she is homebound and needs the socializing. She's be better up here if I could get her out and about. She said it gets kind of tiring just talking to the 4 walls. Her neighbor visits but not as much as she used to and she sees the guy who brings her Holy Communion once a week but other than my sister and me - her world is pretty narrow. Mom doesn't mind phone calls at 9pm - she's up till midnight anyway only because she can't sleep well. I myself don't like phone calls after 8pm, but mostly because I get scared when the phone rings at 9 thinking something bad happened to Momma. You get up so early I can see you being an early to sleep kind of person. I must tell you that I am trying "near keto" and it's not that bad!!! Not giving up watermelon and grapes tho

Laura - glad you found some clothing you liked. Sounds like you jumped on the exercise train and are doing some really rigorous workouts. Good for you!! How did the networking event go?

Argh - just looked at the time. DH will be wanting supper. I told him I picked up ribs for bbqing but did not start that in time. He will be disappointed. I do have some nice pork chops for a Hello Fresh pork and corn salsa dish. He will just have to be happy with that...

Later ladies...

Tags
chicks, worldlie, worldly