Old 02-15-2018, 02:04 AM   #16  

Good Evening and Happy Valentines Day a little late! A humid day and very windy again this afternoon. We did get close to some whales today and got our favorite “high” seats in the back of the boat. Also got a salt water shower on the way home because the captain hasn’t figured out how to maneuver in the wind. We visited some shops and spent too much money afterwards. Today is Bob’s birthday so we three couples went out for supper. I ordered a Caesar salad with a grilled chicken breast which I shouldn’t have done. My stomach doesn’t much like that salad dressing. The third gal in the group made a birthday cake for Bob so invited us to their condo, and now we are watching the Olympics.

“Gma,” I’m sorry about your blanket; been there and done that one a few times. Your friend will be beyond excited with her surprise party! You won’t get to be there though, right? You are a thoughtful friend for sure! I use an extension cord on my iPad cable. Most everything I do will let me rotate the cord to the top or side closest to the outlet.

Sandy, the return date on the speaker was 1/31 so for $20, and the hassle, Beth is going to get her one in Sioux City. All the reviews on it were good, we just got the lemon. Our son and dil’s food rule has always been to at least try a food and if they don’t like it that’s ok. On the other hand Beth’s hubby will only eat carrots or corn and wouldn’t touch fruit no matter what. Naturally it didn’t take Kolby long to figure that out. For a long time it was hot dogs, chicken nuggets, or pb&j for him. I must admit he is getting better but not too interested in anything new. Maddy will try anything and she is such a skinny minnie who eats all the time. I’ve never seen fried cactus, must be a Mexican treat. I have a load of laundry in the dryer too.

I am thinking bed is sounding pretty inviting. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #17  

Good Evening! We got up to strong winds and pouring rain! The morning whale watch trips were cancelled; I was glad because we have been wet too often and I don’t like the idea of new captains in the wind. We rescheduled for Saturday since I left it open just in case. We went for a later than usual breakfast and then, believe it or not, went to WM! So did everyone else! They try and sell you a recyclable WM bag but I remembered to take a plastic bag because we stopped there on our very first trip here, and ended up carrying miscellaneous items out in our hands. Beth wanted a hand/body cream she got over here two years ago, and she got it at WM. I looked in every shop we were in every day, and finally went to WM as a last resort. Found it although not in the tube like she showed me but in a jar. Then we drove around in the residential areas and saw some pretty fancy homes, some fixer uppers, and some real dumps. Went back to the condo for a couple hours then voted on pizza for supper. We had been to this place a couple years ago and this year the hostess seated us near her so we visited with her until she got busy. The Diners and Dives dude, from the food network, had been there earlier this year; said it was the best pizza he’d ever eaten.

We are playing cards so I’m off! Enjoy your evening!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #18  

Good morning. I have not fallen off the end of the world, just been working on that blanket so much and having Jack home I never got in here. Jack had a backache on Friday so took a vacation day and he has today off so I’ve gotten nothing done all weekend. Today we are going to WM to return something then to the mall and get Jack a new battery in his watch then we are going to eat at Cheesecake Factory there in the mall. They have a huge menu and I end up ordering the same thing, fish and chips and their fried mac n cheese balls to share with Jack.

I finally found envelopes for the gift cards. The note cards I ordered are the size of about half a post it note. They are teeny weeny. So I found colored little coin envelopes in a pale pink. I ordered some sticker/seals that have a heart with flowers and personalized it with SURPRISE!

Sandy: We have used the griddle a couple times now and I really like it. My mother in law had Club Aluminum pans so I know what they all. I have a set of cast iron and a set of Calphalon cookware. I hate not being able to put them in the dishwasher, but I really like the cookware. My husband grew up in southern New Mexico and I have never seen cactus on a menu at any restaurant there.

Jean: We usually end up at a WM when on vacation for something or other. I told Jack someone could make a whole lifetime of vacas going to WM’s. :lol You’re coming home the end of the week??? My kids and grandson’s eat about anything. I know Kelly used to not like ham but don’t know if she’s still like that.

Well, back to knitting. My week goes back to normal routine tomorrow so maybe I’ll be better about posting.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #19  

Good morning. We are having some sweet weather here. It was 78 yesterday afternoon and going to be 74 today. We had fans on last night in the bedroom. and I have the ceiling fan on in the living room right now. I am in for the day toaday though. I have to get some housecleaning done.

We went and took back the stuff to WM. They were crazy busy and no handicap spots so Jack let me off in front. We had to stand forever in line at customer service then I had to explain that I ordered 3 packages of 72 each but they shipped 72 total, 3 packages of 24. After a bit of going around, I got her to understand and she refunded us. We then went to the mall, got a bite to eat, way over priced and the appetizer was burnt. Our waitress was a ding a ling and the manager a jerk. We then took Jack’s watch to get a battery and had to wait an hour for it!

Today I am going to work on my afghan and get the bathrooms cleaned upstairs. Everybody have a good day today.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #20  

Good morning ladies. Warm here but raining and we are expecting it to keep up for several days. My hometown area has massive flooding. They posted a photo of a Target in Merrillville and the whole parking lot is under water. Jack says there’s a big winter storm coming from the west for the north too.

A little nervous. I ordered checks and they were supposed to be delivered yesterday and weren’t. Now it’s showing an alert at USPS that there is no new delivery update. Hopefully it will be delivered today.

I think we’re going to have hash and biscuits for dinner. I need to get more housework done and this will be easy.

Our power went out yesterday and now Jack’s new pc and laptop won’t boot up. He’s afraid windows got corrupted and if it did it will cost $400 to get two copies of Windows 10. He’s going to call Dell today. Always something.

Stay dry ladies!
Old 02-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #21  

Good Morning! Packed, pretty much, need to print boarding passes in the office when it opens, grab a quick breakfast, then heading to the airport. Should see Iowa tomorrow afternoon. *sigh* Need to read and catch up, hopefully on the plane, maybe.

Enjoy your day!
Old 02-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #22  

Good morning to you all. Well it looks like we may be headed for another round of Jack working 12 hour shifts. The river is expected to flood here, which probably means it will come up the canal towards the plant so they have to have people 24/7 making sure the pumps stay pumping. We are expecting days more rain, which could be the factor. It is just a wait and see at this point. Flood level is 34 feet and we are at 24 as of last night, but it is going to rain for the next three days pretty much all the time. UGH!

Looks like the power outage a couple days ago, trashed Jack's new pc in his office. His warranty expires next month so we are hoping they will fix it. They may not and we would have to cover the cost of fixing it. I will be really mad if it is too expensive to fix as it is only a year old, I think. I ordered surge protectors for all the computers, which will be here tomorrow. He was able to recover his new laptop, thank goodness. He has gotten smart and puts almost everything on flash drives so the only thing he will have lost on his pc is the baseball statistics game he had. He will be back to square one.

I am going to try and do some cleaning and get the laundry done this morning. I am almost halfway with the afghan. It is going pretty well, actually. I have 5 colors done and I have 11 to go and the white border. I figured it out if I knit just 8 rows a day, I can be done by the end of March. Plenty of time to block it, wrap it and give it.

Jean: Safe travel home today. Hope you had a good time all round.

Everyone stay safe. We are having a lot of detrimental weather all over the country.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #23  
Short & Sassy

Morning ladies! Another rainy day here & only supposed to reach 45. Far cry from the 79 we had on Monday!

GMA: Sounds like you're getting all the rain we're getting here. The Ohio River is way up & restaurants that are on the river are having to close for several days. Fortunately, we don't live near the river so don't have to worry about flooding. I feel bad for those folks that have to pack up & move to higher ground. Of course, a lot of them have lived near the river for years & are use to it. Your afghan's going to be lovely!

Jean: Have a safe trip home from paradise!

Paid a visit to the orthopedic doc yesterday. My knee replacement is scheduled for Mar 26. I don't dread the surgery as much as I do them starting the IV! I'm a hard stick & sometimes it takes them a few tries.

Guess that's it for me. Everyone have a lovely day!
Midget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:43 AM   #24  

Good very early morning. I have been up for awhile not feeling well. Ikep waking up every couple hours since 10 pm, at 3 woke up covered in sweat, had a nightmare and just felt ill so came downstairs so Jack could sleep. Hope I haven’t caught something. Don’t see how as I don’t leave the house that much.

Jack called Dell last night and yahoo the lady fixed his pc. Basically he has a new computer because she wiped the whole thing and he has to reinstall programs and such. The surge protectors come today so hopefully it never happens again. His warranty is up March 20th.

We had chinese last night as Jack wanted to get upstairs asap. I bought a large eggdrop soup to have for lunch today so I’ll have some of it in a little while and maybe I’ll feel better. As good as chicken soup for what ails ya.

I bought myself 2 new pair of reading glasses and they’re great. I couldn’t get my old ones cleaned no matter what I did. These are cute. They’re round, plastic, and pastel colors. They’re glasses all have names and these were, “the knitter.” How appropriate.

Sandy: Like you, IV’s are extremely hard for me too. One surgery, it took 8 tries and then the anesthesiologist put it in my finger and said they’d shift it in the operating room. I woke up in recovery with it still in my finger! Guess they decided to leave it since it worked. One surgery, it went bad while I recovered and they had such a hard time they ended up putting a central line in my neck until I went home. They say to drink a lot of water and stay well hydrated and it is much easier, but all that did was make me go pee all the time. You’ll feel a lot better after you get a new knee. I started taking Osteobyflex about 12 days ago and figured I’d take it until I ran out of it and if I felt no change I wouldn’t buy more. I have to say don’t know if it’s warmer temps or the pills, but I am less achy, especially going from sitting to standing. My hands don’t hurt like they did either. The knee is damaged and a pill won’t help that but any less pain, I am all for.

Everyone have a nice weekend. We have commissary and WM shopping this weekend.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #25  

Good Afternoon! Just noticed the date and realized this would have been my dad’s 101st birthday. It is spitting snow off and on, weatherman said we have freezing fog which is new to me. The trees are pretty! I have laundry in both the washer and dryer so will be done with that chore. After lunch I will finish putting things away. I need to iron a church shirt for Bob since he is singing tomorrow.

“Gma,” I hope the rain has let up and Jack won’t have to work the long shifts. Good luck with the computer fix, hope it lasts as it should. I don’t remember being so tired after getting home before, must be age. We left Maui earlier in the day, up earlier to start the day, and neither one of us slept on the planes so I’m sure that’s part of it. Now trying to get things put away and get back into my usual routine.

Sandy, I grew up near a small river that flooded quite often. Our home wasn’t close but we had a relative who did and sometimes would have to move in with another relative. When the Missouri River flooded a few years ago, in the Sioux City area, some pretty fancy golf course homes were damaged as well as businesses. I’ve never had any desire to live close to a river. I will be thinking of you when you have your surgery! I don’t do IVs well either. I encourage them to use the vein where I give blood rather than my hand and they usually will. Thankfully the times are few and far between. Bob has had some knee pain starting before we left for Maui. He did a few rounds of therapy and now has an appointment with an orthopedic (?) doctor in a couple weeks. He didn’t fall nor did anything specific, it just hurts and not all the time.

Bob went to the office to work on taxes and should be home soon. I guess it is time to think about something for lunch. Leftover sloppy joes from yesterday or leftover casserole from the freezer. Decisions, decisions! Hope you all enjoy a nice day!

Last edited by Jean; 02-24-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #26  

Good evening! Been busy yesterday and today and never got much time to get in here. It was a lovely day here today warming up to near 70. Looks like we’re going to keep spring temps.

Jack is across the walk out front at the annual meeting. I don’t go because I’d blow my top. They never have a quorum to vote on anything and it’s a huge waste of time and excuses.

Our mail is being delivered late now, after 6 pm every day. We must be the end of the route now. I am waiting for basbell tickets and Jack’s new credit card. The same card got hacked that was hacked 2 weeks ago. We think it was Cheesecake Factory as that was the only charge on it since the last time it was hacked. This time they charged over $300. Brother! It wasn’t local though so they just stole the info and sold it I guess. I caught it as soon as it posted.

I cleaned house and worked on my blanket today. I am over halfway now so it is moving right along. Wednesday I am going to get my nails done then Friday is my hair appt. Jack is taking off Thursday as he has that ortho appt. I think he is going to go the short route this time and just have gel inserted between the joints instead of the full operation.

Well better go see if the mail ever came. Have a good evening.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:47 AM   #27  

Good morning. It is cool here this morning and haven't checked to see if we are going to get rain today. I sat and paid bills this morning, scheduled an appointment to move our satellite dishes from the roof to the garage roof as they are now going to disallow them on the roof since they are going to be putting new roofs on. I also paid the bill for the tree removal to the tune of $675! I think they should pay for it but nothing I can do. He did agree to reimburse us for the azaleas they tore out. I am going to get some kind of flowers that will grow in pots. Any suggestions to you gardeners??? I have no idea about growing anything, but I want some color on the deck and it has to be in pots that don't have to be replanted. We are eventually going to tear off the deck in the back and not replace it.

I still don't know what happened across the street with the condo that had the fire department there on Sunday. There was no smoke coming out, but the firemen went in there with axes. I wonder if it was an attic thing. Seems where most problems happen here.

I have the kitchen to finish up this morning then I am done housecleaning for a bit. I am going to go and get my nails done tomorrow if nothing comes up.

Jack said the meeting went ok but there are 83 condos and only 50 of us are paying our fees on time. I told Jack I thought they should raise the fees to $250 a month. If that will get repairs, painting and such done, I am all for paying more. The problem I have is people who don't pay getting the services. Phooey on them. Repair the garages and paint the condos that pay. I guess they are finally foreclosing on those who are severely in arrears but then what? No one wants to buy them. Jack said there was a guy there that was $22,000 behind in his fees!!! He is 10 years behind in payments!!! That doesn't even count the late fees he owes. If they could collect all the money owed we could get things done around here.

I guess I better get my day started. Steak for us tonight so Jack cooks. Have a good one.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #28  

Good Afternoon! It’s another sunny day, warmer, and the snow is melting. The streets are a sloppy mess with puddles everywhere because they only plowed the main streets leading to the hospital. This morning was my once a month coffee date. My friend has been diagnosed with Crohn’s disease which is very unusual for an older person. She will have surgery in March to remove an intestinal section that is the size of a pencil lead, hopefully preventing another blockage. After lunch I tried to find a mistake in our checkbook so I would balance with the bank. I finally gave up and will go back to it tomorrow sometime.

“Gma,” I think we paid about the same to have our big maple tree removed by the time we paid another guy to remove the stump. Everything is so expensive! We do have a small flower garden but a retired teacher and his master gardener wife put it in for us. Bob weeds it and waters if we have a dry spell in the summer. Otherwise it is lots of flowers in pots front of the house and on the deck. Come fall and cold weather they all get tossed. I am very surprised that the condo management company would let people get so far behind on their payments. It is really too bad for those of you who pay on time wanting things to look nice with repairs kept up to date. Steak sounds good, Bob mentioned the same thing at lunch today.

I have carrots and celery to clean, then will unload the dishwasher. Sometimes I wish I had a maid. Enjoy the rest of a terrific Tuesday!
Old 02-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #29  

Good morning all. Looks like I’m going out in a rainy day today. I am going to get my nails done. They need to be cut down as I can’t do anything with them.

I ordered a couple pair of swim shoes that I hope will work better than the rubber ones I have. I just happen to see an adver on FB. They might even work wearing them around the house like slippers and keep me from slipping. Besides the knee, I am flat footed so I tend to slip a lot.

The afghan is coming right along. I will finish up color 9 today and start color 10. Hopefully, I can finished no later than the end of the month then get it blocked.

Jean: Our steak was pretty good for Walmart. I quit buying commissary steak as they are awful. Cheap or not if you throw most of it away you gain nothing. I guess I’ll go out and talk to the plant people at Lowes about potted flowers. Crohn’s is an awful disease. I can relate to her problem for sure. The colon is something people don’t think about but it can cause all kinds of problems, especially as you age. They say starting at around 40, diverticulitis increases % by 10% every decade, ie 50 you’re 50% likely to have it, 60/60% etc. Praying everything comes out ok for her. You have these problems and the commercials are true. Everywhere you go you have to plan where there are restrooms. We are having smoked sausage and mac n cheese tonight. Jack loves the cheapo Kraft powdered stuff. Hope your vaca clothes putting away is coming along or done. Worst part of a vacation imo.

Everyone have a great day today
Old 02-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #30  
Short & Sassy

Morning ladies! We've had some beautiful weather here the last couple of days but rain's moving in today. The Ohio River got up to 60.5 feet! That's the highest it's been since 1997. Flood stage is 52 ft I believe. I feel bad for those people who had to move to higher ground & now face the mess to clean up.

GMA: I know nothing about flowers. I'm glad the assoc is paying to replace them. Like Jean, I can't believe the assoc has let people go so long without paying their fees! 10 yrs behind??? Unbelievable. Sounds like you're making progress on your afghan. She'll love it!

Jean: Back to your routine? Glad you had a good trip. Sorry about Bob's knee pain. I've held off on having surgery as long as I can & now I can't wait to get it over with. This doc has you do physical therapy before & after the surgery. My first visit is tomorrow. My family doc said knee surgery is not easy to recover from. I've heard that from many people. Not looking forward to this at all.

Need to jump in the shower & get dressed so I can meet a friend for lunch. Going to Olive Garden! Have a great day all.
Midget2 is offline   Reply With Quote