Old 03-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #20

Good wet morning everyone. It has been raining all night steady and won't let up until at least mid morning. I ended up not going yesterday because it was raining so hard so will just tough it out until Monday because I can't go tomorrow and never go on the weekends because they are too busy.

I can't wait to get my hair cut tomorrow as it is driving me nuts and I have a lot of gray roots too. My hair is so fine that when the color grows out I look half bald.

Jack left at 7 to go to the ortho doctor. He checked to see how many sick days he has so if the doctor wants to go ahead and do the procedure soon he has enough time off. His last surgery is behind him enough he can do the FMLA again. There has to be 12 months between time off like that I guess. Rigamole paperwork, but it is what it is.

Sandy: I am hoping your surgery comes off without a hitch and then your rehab goes very well for you. We had takeout Olive Garden last night. I usually have chicken alfredo but decided to get regular spag and sauce. I ask for extra spaghetti sauce and said I was willing to pay for the extra. Well, they sent two tbl of extra sauce in a container like you get salad dressing! They don't put enough sauce on it and part of the pasta is bone dry. They also didn't put in any bread sticks and it is too far to go back to the restaurant to get them. I don't care other then they are part of the meal and Jack eats them. Our river flood stage is 34 and by Friday it is going to be 38! Hopefully, that won't mean Jack works those awful hours and it will go down quickly.

Jean: What irks me is all the pharmaceutical commercials. It is a hypocondriacs dream! If you have an issue you, talk to the doctor not watch it on tv and demand he give you that particular med. If they didn't spend millions on their dumb advertising they could lower the cost of the meds!!! The afghan has border of 8 rows each end in white than there are 14 different pinks, grays and purples. I am on color 10 right now. It is called seraphim I think. It is this pale dusky pinkish purple. Don't know the color name connection. I have blush, cotton candy, rouge, coral in pinks. I have dove, cobblestone, asphalt and silver in the grays. Mulberry, seraphim, lady slipper, eggplant, freesia, fairy tale in purples. I took every gray, pink and purple color they had to choose from. The asphalt looks black but is supposed to be a dark gray. I needed it anyway to balance colors since I have 6 purples.

You gals have a nice day today. We ducks are staying in the house.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining again today which is nice. All of my lab work numbers were either up or down a few points, in the good direction, plus I was down four pounds from last time. I was kind of dreading it because of being gone and I didn’t really watch what I ate nor drank very carefully. I told the doctor maybe his machine was “off” and he just laughed. I suppose that could be possible. I ran a few errands and came home to some more laundry. I think all of the vacation clothes are finally washed.

“Gma,” what is Jack having done to his knee? I remember he had surgery before but forget what for. The afghan colors sound very pretty! Be sure and post a picture when it is finished. We learned the hard way to check drive through orders before heading home. There were a few times we had missing items and once we had someone else’s whole order. I could just eat OG’s salad and breadsticks. I usually always order lasagna.

I have a haircut in an hour so guess I will vacuum the dust bunnies before I go. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Last edited by Jean; 03-01-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #3  

Afternoon. It is cool but nice and sunny today. We are just sitting arond waiting for Direct tv to get here and move our dishes to the garage roof. It’s nearly 2:30 and nothing yet. They’re supposed to be here by 4. They can’t be too late or it will be dark.

Got my hair done yesterday and she did a great job. She is the owner and if you ever watched that show “Tabatha Takes Over” on Bravo network, she went to beauty school with the owner of my salon and they’re friends I guess. She knows how to cut har that’s foor sure. She’s a sweet lady.

I did some housecleaning and a load of laundry this morning. Tomorrow we want to get the car cleaned if the weather is good.

Jean: Jack said she went over the food in the bags at Olive Garden and still she left out the breadsticks. It’s not his knees, it’s his other hand. The doctor put him in a brace and scheduled rehab appts. He said the damage is not as bad as his other hand yet. His knees are shot too, but he said he needs a lot of time to be off to get his knees done. I am halfway through my 11th color so am getting there. Hope your haircut came out ok.

Have a good weekend.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! No sunshine today, windy, and colder after such a beautiful warm day yesterday. I’ve done a couple loads of laundry, read the Sunday newspaper, and picked up the never ending clutter piles around the house. Yesterday we left home about 7:30 and headed to Sioux Falls to help with the moving project. Bob carried some lighter things down the steps in one house and up the steps in the new house, then helped the kids take apart and put back together several book shelves. I was in charge of washing all the glass items in the hutch. There were also serving dishes that had been packed away because of cupboard space so washed those too. They had lots of help lined up so just had odds ‘n ends left to move when we left around 5. We stopped by Beth’s to pick up Girl Scout cookies and headed home. Long day!

“Gma,” hope your tv is up and running. It’s a challenge to wait for service people to come. I do remember Jack having surgery on his hand! You are coming right along on your afghan! I imagine changing colors keeps it interesting.

I need to put away the clothes I have folded and get my recyclables ready to put out tomorrow before I leave for church to count money. I have a meeting tomorrow night so hope the weather doesn’t dump snow on us. Enjoy the rest of the day and have a good week!
Old 03-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all. It is raining this morning and that's not good. Saturday the tv guys never showed up. I got online to chat and found out they canceled the appointment because they got backed up. I reamed the customer service gal, the appointment tech guy and then again let loose when they gave the survey at the end. I said that I understood when calls didn't go as planned, but at least they could have called and let us know and that they better show up for today's appointment. I hate cable here and dish is a rip off imo so unless we want to do that one connected to ATT I am stuck. We have been customers 15 years and I told them this was no way to treat a long time customer. So now with it raining I don't know what is going to happen.

I was going to go and take something back to Catherines and get my nails done today, but since I now have to wait for the service people that is out the window. At least tomorrow the weather will be better.

I am on my12th color now so am getting the thing done. I have to say I am tired of it.

Please say a prayer for my niece, Casey. She broke her foot again. This is the 4th time I think and she has nothing holding it together much. She is a school teacher so it is going to be tough to be in a cast again. She already has a pin in it so don't know what they will do. Her husband is an air force officer and what he does he is gone a lot. She has two boys, 12 and 10, who are dolls, but in a ton of sports too. Thank goodness she has a sister in law who helps out a lot for her. She lives in CA and so her siblings or mom can't help because most live in AZ and one lives in CO and one in TX.

Jean: I did laundry Saturday and sheets yesterday so am caught up for a day or so. I don't know how two people go through so much stuff. I hope they love their new home. It's funny but I am ok with the pinks and purples, but drag doing the grays. Luckily, I only have pink and purple to finish it and then the white border. Right now I am doing something called Fairy Tale and it is an orchid color.

Well, I better get chores done and some more work on my afghan. Keep your fingers crossed they show up and move the equipment today!
Old 03-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #6  

Good Morning! Winter has returned beginning with rain, freezing rain, then snow starting yesterday around noon and continuing though the night. No school today and things are either closed or late in starting today. We didn’t get much snow but the wind is strong and blowing it into piles. I need to make a grocery run but maybe after lunch. We won’t starve if I don’t go until tomorrow. Plan to work on my shoe pile today, think my feet are changing because some of my shoes aren’t as comfortable any more, and need a new home.

“Gma,” I will trade your rain for my ice and snow! I think being teased with some spring like weather is harder than just putting up with winter a few weeks longer. Spring will be here sooner or later. Hope your dish guys came and you are set to go again. They should have called you when they weren’t coming. I hope your niece has better luck with her broken foot healing this time. That sounds painful since a foot is something you have to use. I wonder if OPI and yarn companies compare to have such interesting names.

What are the rest of you up to today? Hope you all enjoy a warm sunshiny day in your corner of the world!
Old 03-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #7  

Good afternoon. Well we have a nice mess now. Those idiots showed up here with the wrong work order, refused to do the work and left. I had to make a third appointment soonest is Thur and the roofing guys showed up yesterday about two minutes after the dish guys left. I yelled at tech support but got the “I understand.” The roofers are Mexicans who barely understand english. They are on the roof of the one next door. He said he’d get to ours Thurs. Should be interesting. (Jack just talked to manager and he said they’ll work it out.)

Becoming a countdown with afghan now. I have about 6 rows of color 13 done. I imagine I should have it done no later than next week.

I was going to go out and get my nails done but decided to wait until Friday to make sure this whole roof thing is wrapped up. Jack says not to stress about it, but I just want it done.

Jean: My friend in ND said most of their state is in only emergency vehicles on the road. She works front office at a car repair place and they have no work today except cars that didn’t get finished. She says the snow and ice on the road is really bad. Hope you aren’t getting that. My niece said she broke her ankle in high school multiple times and there’s no support. I feel sorry for her. It’s always fun to see the OPI names. We’re fairly warm here. At least it will be sunny on Thursday so they best get it done. We’re first on the list.

Everyone had a good day.

Last edited by gma22; 03-06-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #8  

Good morning. Another chilly morning here. We have both roofers and the guy from direct tv coming this morning so who knows how this is going to work. The tv guy should be here any minute as I got a call that they would be here in no more than half an hour. I hope they can get them off the roof so the roofing guys can do their thing today too. We are the last condo in the building to be done.

Jack took the day off as he has a hand rehab appointment at 9 this morning so he is already gone. Hopefully he won't be in a lot of pain when it is done. That is usually what happens.

I am going to try and get my nails done tomorrow as they are starting to catch on things from having grown out now. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

I am a new great aunt as of yesterday. My youngest sister's youngest daughter had a baby boy yesterday. I will be a great great aunt in about 3 months as my great niece is having another baby. I will then be a great great aunt to three babies, her sister has a little girl that was born in October not long after her grandmother died and she has a little girl that is a yr old. Babies everywhere but with us I guess.

Hope you all have a nice day and nice weekend. This is shopping weekend for us.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining but it’s not a bit warm at 23 degrees. There is no wind blowing and no snow melting today. I went to have my nails done this morning and then stopped by the card shop to take advantage of a beer bread sale. It is a small Iowa company that is now nationwide under the name Molly & Me. I bought some dip and cheese ball mixes (not made with beer) for card club. Then I took a toy truck with farm animals to Bob’s office for another agent’s little one year old boy. I originally bought it for Ian, then Kolby played with it too. Bob offered to buy lunch and now I am home. There are lots of things I could do but am feeling lazy. Maybe I will put in a load of laundry and call it good. The pregnant cat, Scruffy, is sitting on the deck watching birds. I think she is too fat to even get close to a bird.

“Gma, I hope the roofing guys and tv guys all speak the same language. Most of the roofers around here speak Spanish and the guy in charge speaks very limited English. I will say the ones who have been in our neighborhood are very neat about picking up when they are finished. Does Jack have exercises he is supposed to do? My dad had a little pair of Chinese (?) balls that he was supposed to roll around in his hand, with his fingers. Somebody he golfed with told him that would strengthen his grip. They make a tinkling sound when they move and when Jason was little he liked to play with them. Are you making hats, booties, or blankets for all the new babies? That would be a lot of knitting!

Not much is newsy from my neighborhood today. Hope you all enjoy the rest of a terrific Thursday!
Old 03-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #10  
Short & Sassy

Hi ladies! Did you miss me? Can't believe it's been so long since I was last here. I wasn't near the computer all week. It's been a stressful time here in the White household. I'm hobbling around with a cane until I get my new knee. Then Bill comes down with gout in his left foot earlier this week and is on crutches. We placed a grocery order using Kroger "click list." Picking up the order was no big deal of course, but once we got it home...well, let's just say it wasn't fun. We have a cart that we use to bring stuff in the house. We loaded it up with the groceries & I pulled it as far as a could. Then Bill managed to pull it up the 3 steps onto the porch, then into the house. We were exhausted after all that! His foot is feeling some better. He's down to one crutch now. We make quite the pair!

GMA: So sorry about Casey's foot! How old is she? So, did you get your dish moved? What a fiasco!

Jean: I'm sure you're growing tired of the ice & snow. I know I would be! What did Bob find out about his knee?

Our clocks spring forward this weekend & I hate it! Wish they'd just leave the time alone. Need to get busy around here. Have a terrific weekend.
Midget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! So much for the weatherman’s forecast! The tv showed rain turning to snow first thing this morning, that never happened and now the sun is shining brightly. We left early this morning to attend Maddy’s swing choir competition in a small town south of Sioux City. We traveled over country roads along the Loess Hills. I knew the hills were there but didn’t realize just how many and how hilly they are. Many homes along the way have been neglected and then abandoned over the years. There were middle and high school choirs performing; the event lasting from early morning until around 10:00 tonight. As soon as one school performed the parents, etc., would leave the auditorium and the next school audience would come in. I was surprised at all the schools involved, some from Nebraska which is just across the river. Anyhow, we headed home after we got to visit with Maddy for a few minutes. Now need to get busy on some laundry and think about a card club menu.

Sandy, I did miss you! I thought maybe you had your new knee and busy with therapy. I know you gave us the date but it went in and out the old brain. I know gout can be very painful! I feel sorry for both of you! My dad had gout and was told to eat cherries, not the sweet dessert kind but the other kind. Another remedy, which was long after his, was to drink apple cider vinegar in water. That one gives me the shivers! I hope you both are on the mend soon! Bob has his knee appt. the 15th. He asked his doctor about an MRI but has to wait and see what the orthopedic doctor wants. He tries to get by without any otc med during the day but switches between Tylenol and ibuprofen at night. I can tell if he sits too long the first couple steps are gimpy. Our snow is melting this afternoon but where we were this morning had very little, mostly where it was piled in the parking lot. I hate being teased with a nice spring day then slammed back into winter, especially this time of year. After seeing the snow videos from back east I shouldn’t complain because we’ve had nothing like that.

I need to get busy and accomplish something today. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 03-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #12  

Good afternoon. We finally have a new roof, our dish was moved, the roofers cleaned up and even removed the old dishes. There was actually 2 old dishes up there we didn’t know about. The direct tv took them off the roof and the roofers were nice enough to haul them off for us

Been crazy here with roofing all over the place. We couldn’t get out our back door Saturday because old shingles and such blocked it. Jack had to walk around the building to get the mail and get the car out. Sunday we had grocery shopping.

Jean: No, they get baby stuff for first baby that’s all. I imagine I would if they asked but I only do it for first time. How’d card club go?? Did you enjoy the bread and cheese? Did you get that ugly storm that’s on the east coast? It looks like a real whopper. Jack gets rubber balls to squeeze for his hand. The tv guy was here at 8 on the back roof and the roofers started
about 9 on the front roof.

Sandy: My niece turned 43 today. Her boys are 10 and 12. Jack hates the whole time thing too. We use the “grandma” cart too. It’s great. Ours folds up and is pretty big. Hope you and hubby’s troubles get better.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, not a cloud in sight, and a beautiful spring like day in my neighborhood. Snow is melting like mad and the lake is open out in the middle. There are still some ice fishing houses closer to shore and some guys are out fishing in the open. No way would you catch me out there this close to warmer weather and open water. I made a trip to WM this morning and came out $141 poorer in the checkbook. I haven’t been there for awhile, maybe not since we’ve been home. This afternoon I did another load of laundry, vacuumed, and dusted.

“Gma,” glad to hear you have a new roof and your dish moved. It was nice of the guys to haul off the old ones. I notice, in our travels, several junky farm places will have dishes piled in a corner somewhere. I remember the first ones were huge. Sunday on our way to Jason’s, as usual I always look at farm animals. This time of year is new lambs and they are so cute. Anyhow, this one farm has a camel and a zebra standing by the barn! I said to Bob, “I just saw a camel and a zebra!” He looked at me and said, “are you ok?” Lucky for me it was still light coming home and the camel and zebra were both still by the barn! I’m wondering if maybe they have a children’s petting zoo or maybe take the animals to some kind of show. Anyhow, I’m not crazy because Bob saw them too! I have the gals’ card club Monday night and the couples group sometime in April. We just got some freezing fog first then 4” of snow. There was some river flooding in a town just before we cross into SD, and before the interstate, but it wasn’t close to the road. The road has been under water in years gone by, then we have to either go through Sioux City or travel north through small towns. The interstate was closed from the SD border through ND according to the weather reports. They have entrance and exit gates they close to make sure the dummies don’t try to disregard the warnings. The ditches were still pretty full Sunday but the flat areas had melted.

Not much else is newsy from here today. Hope you are enjoying a terrific Tuesday!
Old 03-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #14  

Good morning. Brother I have a roaring sinus headache this morning. I think it’s this crazy weather. It was cold for the last couple days now it’s going to be near 70 today. I was supposed to go to the dry cleaners and get a skirt hemmed but wth this headache I am staying put.

Jack just left to go to his hand therapy. He has two more sessions than a dr appointment. It’s not doing much good but they have to try the simple stuff first. His right hand is not nearly as bad as the left one was.

I ordered 3 pasta attachments for my Kitchenaid and we may fool around with it this weekend. There’s a dough roller, spaghetti one and a fettucine one. You can make noodles with the fettucine one and there’s even a recipe to make Kluski (polish) noodles which I grew up eating as a kid. My home area have a lot of Polish and Hungarian people as well as a large Amish community 30 miles or so away. Noodles are a big thing. lol I like making noodles, but my knee makes it difficult standing to do all the prep, cutting, putting out to dry, etc.

Jean: I laughed out loud with the camel and zebra thing. Especially Bob thinking you had gone round the bend. Looks like temps are climbing and going to be 75 on Saturday but going to rain. I am watching this show about Asian food travel called “Chings Amazing Asia.” Some of the stuff they eat. Yuk! This one restaurant makes “stinky” tofu. Ugh! It’s some kind of fried tofu that’s been marinated in spice liquid and bacteria of some kind. She says it tastes like strong blue cheese. This was in Hong Kong I think. I’ll pass. Some of the dishes I’d eat as I like asian food but some stuff, no way. Jack’s been to Singapore, Tokyo, Hong Kong and and Kyoto. As picky as he is I’m surprised he didn’t starve when he visited. lol I know some housekeeper in a Hong Kong hotel is wearing my pearl earrings! He left them in the hotel! This was gosh nearly 40 yrs ago though.

Have a good day today.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #15  

Happy Friday! It is a cloudy windy morning in my neighborhood. We are on the edge of the winter weather advisory so I made my list first thing this morning and headed to WM and then the grocery store. WM wasn’t busy yet but the grocery store was. I’m having card club Monday night and picked up snack items at WM. I knew where the same things were at the grocery store so compared prices. Today WM was a few cents cheaper on everything I could compare but know from previous times that isn’t always true. WM has rearranged their grocery aisles again. Now I know why I never can find something when I’m in a hurry. I picked up the gift shop money yesterday because of the predicted weather and the possibility it might be closed today, so I have that to count and checks to write. Either this afternoon or tomorrow will be washing glassware in the curio cabinet, and scrubbing the kitchen floor. The grout is looking grubby! Bob had an MRI on his knee this morning, looking for either arthritis or a torn meniscus. He doesn’t see the doctor until next Friday to get the results.

“Gma,” I hope your headache is long gone, they are not fun! I have never heard of Polish noodles; in my limited cooking knowledge a noodle is a noodle. About the only thing I grew up with that I found out as an adult, was different is goulash. My mom and grandma both made it with hamburger, onion, kidney beans, potatoes, and tomato soup. Bob’s mom and it seems everyone in western Iowa makes it with no beans nor potatoes, but use hamburger, onion, macaroni, cheese sometimes, and chunks of tomatoes squished. Bob thought I was trying to kill him off when I made it. I would probably starve on an Asian diet! I am a visual eater as well as texture, and if I don’t like the looks of it I won’t even try it. I probably would be a lot smaller if I didn’t buy and cook the food.

Sandy, hope you and hubby are having a good day!

I have laundry in the washer and dryer. The dryer is buzzing so I need to keep moving. Hope you have a fantastic Friday!