Old 12-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #241  

Morning all. Another mild day here. Enjoying it because I know some really cold temps are coming our way for the weekend.

Ceejay – Nice of you to help out your niece with rides, but I’m sure you’ll be glad when you’re done with that. == Sounds like a busy but enjoyable weekend. Never a lack of things to do in Branson, if you choose to keep busy with them. == I’m a big fan of the library, such a great source of entertainment. Even if you’re not a reader, you can get all kinds of dvds - tv series, movies, documentaries, exercise videos, etc.

Annie – We keep our tree up through at least New Year’s, so it’s not too late for us. I like having the tree up through both holidays. Plenty of time left for winter dreariness after that… Nice you get extra holidays. I’ve already printed out my company’s 2018 holidays and noted there was one added to our usual holidays – we get Christmas Eve in addition to Christmas Day because t’s on Monday, so we get both Monday and Tuesday. I’m taking this Friday off, so I guess today is my Wednesday too. I’m also taking next Friday the 29th. Still debating about taking the 26th off… As it stands, I’m carrying over 3.5 days of vacation. == The last time the tub was caulked, bf did it and he didn’t do a great job. I did it the time before that and it was only so-so. I know bf hates doing that, so I think I’ll do it this time around, which needs doing NOW. (How about sending C. up here to do it??) And next time… hopefully it’ll be a long way off because I want to start thinking about completely renovating our bathroom. == I’m glad the meds are having a good effect on C so far.

Happy – Oh dear, more snow (a LOT more) coming your way… hope you’re stocked up on food. Gonna be a white Christmas for you. == Wow, that’s a hefty insurance premium! I’d be looking forward to Medicare coverage for sure. Though, as your mom experienced, you have to find doctors that accept Medicare. It is funny though that she sees the doctor when it isn’t really necessary, just to bask in the praise. == Your HF meal sounded tasty! But so much for ordering a premium meal and having leftovers for lunch, LOL. == I’m glad the washer is working again. You don’t need another thing to shell out money for. == Yes, I think the spicy green bean recipe shouldn’t be too hard to figure out. I usually steam whole green beans, but roasting would definitely be tasty. I don’t think it would hurt if the spice or sauce was on them while they roasted, as long as it wasn’t anything sugary. You think??

Hellos to Susie & Shad.

=
I did a BE workout last night and not much else. Phone Mom to confirm an early meal on Christmas Eve. She asked if I had any extra Christmas cards I didn't want. Sorted through mine and have a stack for her. I won't be surprised if bf and I get one back from her with a check in it, since that's what she needs them for, LOL. BF will drop them off with her today.

Asked bf to take the tree out of the attic today for me in case he’s not around when I get home from work tonight. Also asked him to take a photo of the tree out back. The tree people came to trim it last week (no advance call) just as bf was walking out the door and he told them to go ahead. When he finally remembered to tell me they’d been there, I looked up at the tree and saw at least one obvious spot where there was a lot of sucker growth growing straight up off of a very large limb of the tree that certainly should have been trimmed off. Those people are not getting paid a dime until they come back and do a proper job of it.

Today was the tenant’s breakfast in our building and so I skipped my usual cereal breakfast at home. Ate more than I should have so I’m delaying my lunch for a bit.

Okay, getting this posted. Have a good day everyone!
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #242  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies! The past two days I have spent in Cincinnati having lunch with coworkers/friends and yesterday brunch with a good friend while we talked for 2 hours and also did our Christmas exchange...then time in the mall, and other stores getting last minute things.

Today, I am excited to stay home. I do need to take Layna to Sabina this morning at 9:30 so she can continue to work on her dress project. She will be there today and tomorrow from 9:30 to 4:30. I am wrapping presents all day today.

I will take a break later and do personal. Time to get breakfast and then a shower.
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #243  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good morning all,

It's 14 degrees outside. Cold and icy. I would rather stay home but I committed to a skin care / beauty thing that was rescheduled from a while back. I should have just said I was busy today...

I think we are still going to Duluth tomorrow - they are talking snow but just up that way and it's supposed to be snowing tonight so I hope they will have the roads all clear by the morning.

Susie - sounds like you are busy but enjoying your vacation time off. Hope you get all the wrapping done and can relax over the holiday.

Laura - yay for getting more paid days off! I said a long time ago that the best gift a company can give you is time off - always fun to take a mental health break or a vacation away from the usual grind of work. To your question on roasting the green beans - I agree. Toss them with a bit of olive oil so that they don't stick to the pan and add dry spices to roast. Then if you wanted to add a sweet heat element, you can toss them again after they roasted so that they are seasoned but not burned or over carmelized. Did you get your tree up?

Annie - put me on the list for C to work on the bathroom. I have a couple of other projects he can help DH with too

Enjoy your mild weather today folks - our friends in Canada are sending some chilly air on the Polar Express. We are looking at a high - yes a HIGH of minus 6 (F) on Christmas Day. Brrrrr - glad we aren't going out. The fireplace will be running for sure.

Time to get ready - later chicks.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #244  

Morning all. We’re in the 30’s today, so a bit chillier than the past few days. Have to get used to this…

Susie – You’re keeping busy on your vacation. Nothing like getting together with friends!! == I’m curious to see how your niece’s sewing project turns out!

Happy – Brrr! Good luck getting to the doctor tomorrow. Safe travels!! == Yes, definitely nice having more time off. Not that I always use it in exciting ways, LOL. == Yes, I did get the tree up. It has three sections and is pre-lit. The lights plug into the “trunk” and the electricity runs through the trunk to a single cord that plugs into an outlet. Unfortunately, one part of the lights in the middle section are not working. Grrr. BF and I are both ticked off because this is only the third year for this tree. Oh well, I’ll suck it up and add a string of lights to the dark section and get on with decorating it tonight.

Hellos to the rest of you. Hope you’re all keeping out of trouble.
~~~~~
Nothing much to report. Aside from the light issue with the tree (see my comment to Happy about that), a couple pieces of branch have come loose. We didn't buy this thing in the bargain basement, but it appears this is not the most high quality product we've ever purchased. Anyway, I did most of the fluffing. That’s not my favorite thing to do, but it’s necessary after the tree sections have been stuffed in a storage bag and crammed through the attic opening and sitting in the attic all year long. Maybe we should throw a sheet over the tree and store it completely upright and decorated... Otherwise, that's about it for last night.

Tomorrow is going to go by quickly at work because the department is going out to lunch, and then the boss’s boss is having his annual gathering for his 3 groups starting at 3 pm. I have one more important thing I want to get done today so I don’t have to worry about it tomorrow. It’s not really due until the 31st, but I want to get it done this week.

After that, I’m off work Friday through Monday. I’ve decided to work the 26th through the 28th next week. Turns out everyone else in the department will be out most of next week (I think boss is in one day), so it’ll be nice and quiet, no interruptions - love that. I have my quarter-end stuff to do, and then I can focus on other tasks – goals, clearing out the cube, etc.

That’s about it for me, so I’ll get this posted.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #245  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy
We are going to be getting that polar express air this coming Friday. Low's in the teen's all next week. Possibility of s now Christmas eve. Have you tried any of the Hello Fresh meals yet? I may check that out. You are more brave than me in getting out in the cold. Be careful.

Laura
I've stayed longer this week than I planned but I don't mind helping out sis and niece. My niece is trying to turn her life around and I'm glad to be involved in this.

Susie and Shad hello

-----------
As I mentioned before I wasn't planning on staying this week but I want to help out any way I can and this week it's getting my niece to and from her appointments to get her drivers license back. And going with my sis to take my niece to work which is about 20 minutes down the road. She get to work around 6 and off at 11. I didn't want sis to drive by herself and I don't like to drive at night. This is her last week to train here and then she will be working in Branson. I'm going home tomorrow to get groceries and keep the pipes from busting this next week.
Sis and Niece got into it last night and that really gets on my nerves but as sis told me they are both babies of the family and need and want to be heard. They can make up just as quick but in the mean time I'm a nervous wreck.
Sis and I have gone to the Rec Place and walked twice this week. I needed that. She walks 2 miles and I can barely get n 1 mile but I will take it. One guy who was jogging, passed me and would give me encouragement. Sis thought he was flirting with me. lol
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #246  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Hey everybody! Today is my Friday, oh yeah! Grateful for that.

Hope you all bought your Mega Millions and Power Ball tickets last night. Major jackpots. Oh wait, I bought mine so you all are covered. Don't fret. WE WILL WIN!!

It was just me and C for dinner last night so I bought Wendy's. C had a baconator and I had chili. Yeah I know all the stories about their chili, don't remind me. But it is so good. We watched an oldie movie of Burt Reynolds. It also had Jerry Reid in it. Let me think of the name. "Gator" Well that took the internet to remember. OMGosh could not remember from last night. CRS for sure. Not a bad "old" movie.

Today is my last doc appt this year. haha. I can say that as we only have about a week left. It is just my 6 month check up with my primary care doc. Really a waste of time but as you know, a free one due to deductibles met. Soon to start on next year's deductible. Bleh.

CEEG...hope Sis and niece don't stress you out too much with their arguing. Stay strong and in your own court. Getting a new BF at the Rec center? Go for it.

LAURA...I agree, when everyone is out it is a good time to be in the office. Quiet and can get a lot of work done. Even personal stuff. lol. Warm today and tomorrow here then going into the 20's and 30's. Just a bit too chilly for me. Seems prelit trees tend to have a section of lights go out from time to time. bah on that.

SUSIE...sounds like you are enjoying your time off. Good for you. Glad Layna is enjoying her sewing lessons. What a great present to her. What are you doing today?

HAPPY...C would love to come do some work for you. Anything to get out of his delivery route. haha. Hope your doc appointment for your foot goes great and they figure something out. Is this the foot on the same leg as the bad knee?

Hello to all...

MERRY CHRISTMAS, hugs, love and prayers.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #247  

Afternoon all. Today’s my Friday! And an easy one at that. Lunch out with the department was nice, next is the party at 3 pm. Didn’t get this posted in the morning - better move it out so I get it done before leaving for the party.

Ceejay – Rec center – good place to meet people, huh? == I hope your niece turns her life around. It’s great that she’s back home and has family to help support her in that.

Annie – Thanks for covering us with the lottery tix. == I like watching old movies. Dunno about “Gator” though, lol. == Hope the six month checkup goes well. Not a waste of time if you can bask in the doctor’s praise over your weight loss and how you're taking good care of yourself, right? Just like Happy’s mom. == Re the prelit trees – the one we had previous to this one never had a problem with the lights and we had it a long time. It was a really good tree, just too large for our living room. The next tree, hopefully many years from now when downsizing to a smaller place, might be one of those half trees that fits flat against a wall…

Hellos to the rest of you.

~~
Last year I used almost all of our old strings of Christmas lights to make a wreath that now hangs outdoors (I wrapped the lights all around a wire wreath form). All I had left was a single string of lights in which half of the string didn’t light up. I’m pretty sure I changed out those tiny fuses last year to try and get them working, but I did it once again last night, but nope - still half unlit. But that was just enough to use to fill in the spot on the tree that didn’t light up. Bf came home and told me he was amazed that the colors of the lights matched up with what was already on the tree. Just lucky I guess.

I also put a few decorations on the tree and will finish up tonight or tomorrow.

Looking forward to another long weekend!

That’s really about it for me, so I’ll get this posted. TTFN.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #248  
Choose your hard

Hi ladies,

They didn't get as much snow up north as they were predicting but the roads were very slippery this morning so glad that I rescheduled my consult appointment any way. Bingo tonight - not sure how many people will show up with Christmas and all even though the jackpot is just short of $900 and ready to go any day now. No Annie - I did not buy my lottery tickets - I don't really follow the lottery and have no luck but if I'm at the gas station and see the pot is up there, I will buy a ticket or two. Glad you will share if you win I'll pay you back for the ticket

C can come up and go fishing - there is no time when you can't fish depending on how crazy you are. Right now it's ice fishing time although there have been several reports of crazies dropping through the ice when the take their vehicles on unsafe lakes. But duh I checked at the shore and the ice was a foot thick and then in the middle of the lake muh truck crashed through cuz it was only 3 inches thick in dah middle - duh, who'd a thought? :rollyeyes: but after this weekend's deep freeze I think the lakes will be in better condition. I'm not sitting in an ice shack on a frozen lake when the high temps are minus 9 degrees with a stiff wind.

Thank you to all who have sent cards. I guess I am not sending mine out this year. One of my resolutions for the new year is to get back on track again and into a routine. I also am so tired of the drama involved with volunteering and I am going to cut back and take back some of my life that I came up to enjoy in retirement. Sometimes you try and give back to the community and the crazy people just slap away your efforts.

Yes Ceejay to your question I have tried several of the Hello Fresh meals and they have all been tasty. My criticisms are that the couscous was too dry but I now know how to fix that. The chicken breast can also be dry but I fixed that by cutting into chunks rather than cooking the breast whole. The only cheese they seem to send you is mozzarella which is not the right kind of cheese for tacos. So I have substituted an ingredient or two of my own choosing and we have enjoyed every meal so far. The other thing is that I guess for speed of cooking, it seems most everything is fried in a pan - not deep fried in oil but I guess I could find a way to braise the meat in a more healthy way. We had really good chicken and pineapple quesadillas last night. Steak and potatoes with a roasted pear salad for tomorrow. Mediterranean chicken with couscous & zucchini and a greek yogurt sauce. Moo Shu Asian pork "tacos" with a delicious hoisin sauce. We also had chicken with roasted green beans & potatoes topped with a tasty dill sauce. The other night we had pizza burgers with a salad of arugula and cherry tomatoes and I made oven baked "fries" on my own that DH loved. Next week we get a Tuscan chicken sausage and pasta dish, "figgy" roast pork, a chicken and orzo dish and another pasta dish for me - it has mushrooms that DH won't eat so he can eat the Tuscan pasta twice and I will do the same with my mushroom pasta. Sorry if I am making you guys hungry. I have not gone to the grocery store since last week when I needed party appetizer ingredients. I will go on Saturday to pick up stuff for Christmas dinner.

Annie - I had to laugh when you said you looked up the movie name. I was at a presentation on skin care yesterday. We were talking about sun damage and I could not for the life of me remember George Hamilton - the king of crispy faces. I had to look that up too. Luckily Google knows who I am talking about when I ask who is the most tanned man in America?? Google is going to be half our brains going forward. I am getting somewhat forgetful and so is everyone around me. Welcome to the club - we have lots of members ! Yes, it's my right foot that is giving me all the grief - the same leg that I got my new knee. In fact, because it's now affecting the knee is why I am pursuing the doctor - although intense pain factors in also. I don't want to wreck my new knee prematurely. I am preparing myself that they aren't going to be able to do much to help me. Have a Merry Christmas yourself and enjoy your time home with the family.

Ceejay - yikes on the drama with Sis and her daughter. You are smart to just avoid it at all possible. How nice that you were able to do some walking. When you get back home you might want to check out some local places. I know 2 of the churches here in town open their buildings during the day over the winter to allow people to walk indoors safely and warmly. Safe travels getting home and dig out your warm layers for the weekend! I'm sure with the frigid nights ahead the night sky will be incredibly clear and sparkling. Peek outside for a minute!

Laura - bummer on the tree lights going out. That was my big concern about having a pre lit tree. And some of them we looked at are such that finding and pulling out the dark set would not be easy at all. You are probably smart to work next week - the trains and office and even the sidewalks will be blessedly quiet. If you have nothing pressing at home, it's almost a waste to take off during this quiet time. And it helps you get a leg up on the new year at work too. Or just cleaning up things for the old year and getting ready for the office move which may come up when you are busy with other stuff.

Susie - I hope you are enjoying your time off and that Layna will enjoy her sewing project gift.

Hello Shad - the only one who will be warm this Christmas
Old 12-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #249  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,

Sorry. I keep apologising for being missing in action, but there is so much to do at the moment. I'm trying to finish the laundry painting, and I have some of the cabinets in place. I only need to do the trims in there now, and I think I may have to sand and repaint one wall since a certain doggie went through there while the paint was still wet and there appears to be a hairy patch where he shook himself and a few bugs have decided to attach themselves to the paint as well.

Been darned hot here. We are hanging out for some rain, so if you see some looking for a place to go, send it on down. Yesterday was 36C (around 100F) and there was a high humidity count as well. Yukky. And the mosquitos are hungry as well. Never used to bother me much, but they do now.

Off to Adelaide on Sunday afternoon and stay there with the DS1 and family for 3 days. Then I'm going to Melbourne to see a friend for a couple of days and back home on the 30th. Mr Romeo the black cat goes to the cattery tomorrow (Saturday) I doubt that he will be happy about that. DS1's cat will be there for a couple of days as well seeing as they are taking the dog and camping out on Stradbroke Island after Christmas. I may or may not be on line during that time. So given that I have a lot to do between now and Sunday, I would like to wish you all a very Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year. Thanks to Annie for her lovely card - sorry but I'm not sending any out this year. I have a Christmas letter half written and no doubt, those of you whose email address I know will get one through there. Those addresses I don't know I will send through Messenger if I can search and find your name on there, and then there is always snail mail.

I'd better get off here and go finish that painting, have some breakfast, sort out my packing and go get anything last minute that I have forgotten. I don't want to hit the shops, but it could be worse. It could be Christmas Eve. Have a great day.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #250  
Choose your hard

Just a quick Merry Christmas to everyone in case you'll be offline for a few days. I have a busy morning and will come back to post later on.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #251  

Default hello

I'm looking forward to Christmas.
I'm going to walk this afternoon at Planet Fitness.
It's colder today. And we are supposed to get an inch of snow over night. I'm not looking forward to the cold weather.
More later.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:54 AM   #252  

Hello Everyone. I am happy to say all the presents I need to wrap are done and under the tree.

DH and i are baking cookies tomorrow for our back door neighbor. We are close with them, we get each others mail, she dried my laundry when my dryer was down, I washed her clothes when her washer was down, we just watch out for each other. It's nice to have a good neighbor like that.

We will also clean the house a bit. After I take the tree down, I do a very through cleaning-usually the day after Christmas, but this year it will be on Wednesday as we are going to celebrate Christmas with my brother and family on Tuesday.

I think most of you saw my FB post of Layna with her finished dress project. She did a great job on it and I am so proud of her for doing it. Thanks to those the posted on my FB post. She was pretty excited to read the comments.

She asked me how i knew some of you and I said "from the internet"...she said "Aunt Susie, that could be potentially dangerous". I just laughed...and explained it a bit more.

Thanks to all of you who sent Christmas cards. I loved them all. I am like Happy and won't get them out this year. I am toying with the idea of doing at "New Years" card.

I will pop in and out the next few days and see who is here or has been here.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:31 PM   #253  

All the gifts are wrapped and we are baking cookies tonight. The house is cleaned, with the exception of the bedroom being dusted; I ran out of steam.

I am looking forward to going to church in the morning. We will go to see DH's dad in the afternoon. Then it will be a quiet evening at home.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:05 PM   #254  

I woke up to snow this morning. We are supposed to get another dusting tomorrow morning.
Happy did make it to your appointment?
I'm finally getting the hang of cooking for myself but I might try that later.

Susie, your niece looks like she did a great job on her dress. Wish I would have kept up my sewing. Don't problems laying out the pattern etc. It's the actual putting the pattern together that gets me.

Laura, did you get your pj's cut out?

Not much going on. Enjoying my time at home.
Will be trying to drive to church n the morning then to sis's for a family lunch and gift exchange.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:50 AM   #255  
Choose your hard

Merry Christmas to everyone

I never did get to finish and post the other day. Hope you are all warm and comfy and enjoying the holiday.

For the first time in YEARS I have nothing going on for almost an entire week and I am just thrilled. It's like being on vacation and I'm supposed to be on permanent vacation

I did manage to get a few decorations up and done - I'm glad I didnt' skip it entirely - would have regretted it I think. Never did get the cards out. I have decided that next year I'm going to do better. So thank you for those who sent cards (including some beautiful and touching personal notes ♥ )

Friday we went to our favorite Italian restaurant and they gave us a Panettone cake - I have never had one before. We had picked up a prime rib roast I was going to make yesterday but on Saturday DH was watching football and wanted chicken wings and these oven fries I made recently. So I baked them in the oven and even though I had minimal oil on them, the chicken really splattered and made a sticky, greasy mess of the entire oven. I couldn't use the oven in the condition it was in so had to make a change of plans for dinner. I made one of the Hello Fresh meals I had - pan fried skirt steak with a sauce, arugula salad with roasted pears (I was able to use the clean small top oven for that) and garlic toasts. It was really tasty and special enough for a Christmas Eve meal. DH was a prince and got down on the floor and cleaned out the oven. I did the racks and one plate that covers the flame and we are ready for the roast today.

It's getting cold, temperatures are dropping. Was zero when I woke and it's down to minus 2 right now. Will dip further. Glad to be staying inside and the sun is out for a change so that helps too. Last night the stars were brilliant in the night sky.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and enjoy the holiday and get some time for yourself to enjoy life for a bit. Our schedules are so hectic that we deserve a few restful moments to ourselves.

So pour a glass of wine and enjoy!

Last edited by happy2bme; 12-25-2017 at 10:51 AM.