Old 07-29-2017, 10:22 AM   #16  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it looks like it will be a nice day. We were late getting home from Zowie's play last night so missed the weather report for predicted temperature. The play was cute and she was Humpty Dumpty so had a pillow strapped around her middle under her white costume, white tights, a white wide band around her head, and white face paint. I don't know who makes the costumes or if they come with the play but lots of different sized kids to dress. So many kids showed up for the 40 character tryouts, that they ended up with 59 kids. They had two lions, two princesses, and three different girls for Alice. They whip the play together in 4 1/2 days which is a big job! Our regular mailman told Bob he was taking Thursday and Friday "off" and he didn't know who would be on the route. Well, we got no mail at all yesterday, and I am !!!!!!!! Our house number is plain as day on both sides of the mailbox! Bob walked over to check our neighbor's box, who has been gone this week, and it wasn't in her box either. Then he checked across the street where the "weekenders" don't get mail, thinking maybe it might be there. Nope! There is a house two blocks west of us that has the same number but the streets are not even remotely close in name, so on a rare occasion we have gotten their packages delivered here. Bob called the post office this morning and got a nice lady (better than the guy who hung up on me last time!) and she said, "a different sub was on our route yesterday who had never done it before, and no one else had called in." We should have gotten both local newspapers if nothing else. Our mail service has gone from bad to worse! Ok, so much for my rant! Bob just left for Sioux Falls so I am home alone until Tuesday evening. He is going with Jason to take their camper out to Sturgis. Jason has some business calls to make in that area so times them for now.

"Gma," we have two Chinese restaurants but both serve only Chinese food. We like one better than the other mainly because the one has had some knock down drag out fights between customers and the police end up getting called in. I always think of loaded guns and/or knives and I don't want to be in the line of fire! We have several Mexican restaurants plus an African (?) one. I have heard of Mexican corn on the cob, but have never had it. Sometimes my stomach doesn't much like mayonnaise. I wonder if using Miracle Whip would make it taste a lot different. My mom always used MW in salads, etc., while Bob's mom used mayonnaise. I've got a couple recipes that specify mayonnaise, one a chocolate cake. I wouldn't say the strawberry salad was anything out of the ordinary although those that ate it last night liked it. I did use the big packages of pudding and Jell-o but only one container of Cool Whip plus more strawberries than it called for. Simple, to make which was good!

I need to get dressed and get my day going. I'd hate to have someone bring my mail to the door, I would scare them! More clothes sorting today, or bust! I have got to get this done! Have a super Saturday and enjoy!

Last edited by Jean; 07-29-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:54 AM   #17  

Good morning to you all. It is comfortably cool this morning inside for once and the ac is not on just the fans. We have smart readers for our utulities and our electricity increased about $75 this month compared to last because of the temps outside. It is what it is. I'm just thankful for ac.

Jack took his tux, dinner jacket, two tux shirts and my dressy dress to the cleaners yesterday. He also printed out our cruise documents and our luggage tags as they became available yesterday morning. We bought these plastic sleeves for our cruise luggage tags a few years back and they are great. They're really sturdy as they use a metal circle that kind of screws together instead of paper or plastic. So we're getting closer to everything being in line. He also got his last haircut. He'll do what he always does and get one in Fort Lauderdale the day before the cruise. He goes to a Super Cuts down the street from our hotel.

We went to see "Dunkirk" yesterday and what a waste of money! First off they raised the senior ticket prices this week from $5.50 to $8.00!!!! The movie was so disjointed you couldn't follow what was going on. If it had been written and filmed well, it could have been a great movie. I did get a chuckle out of two late teenage gals in the restroom. We were washing our hands and they were talking about how sad the movie was and had no clue it was an actual event by their comments.

We have commissary shopping today then I have dr appointment tomorrow. I was able to get in to see my doctor and since I needed to go in Aug anyway, will just roll it in with the letter request.

Jean: We were going to go to our favorite Italian place after the movie, but I had a queasy tummy so Jack just got pepper steak from the chinese place and got me a large egg drop soup. We'll probably do the Italian this afternoon. It was nice to "expand" the play to incorporate more kids. I am sure Zowie was an absolute doll! She is so cute anyway. Sorry for your mail snafu but am glad we aren't the only ones who experience poor service. We have a new real young kid and he is great and since a vendor from Amazon called and ripped into them about a package I didn't get, the substitute, whoever it is, at least delivers packages. They're lazy as they throw them over the gate and don't bring them to the door, but at least we get them. I think what happens is the sub doesn't want to get out of the truck so says the gate is locked, knowing the regular guy is delivering the following day. Living where we do, I doubt there is a lot of packages and they're just lazy. Guess you'll be eating a lot of popcorn for dinner the next few days! You can go wild and crazy while Bob is gone!!

Have a good Sunday everyone!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #18  

Good Afternoon! It has been cooler and partly sunny off and on today. No rain in sight though. I went to church this morning and, of course, had to explain why Bob wasn't with me. I have about decided it will be easy to stay home the while this new guy is here. He just is not as personable and warm fuzzy "nice to see you, I care about you" type of guy. Maybe he will morph some but I am not holding my breath. He preaches ok sermons, for a half hour and then he is done. Once again the litergist pleaded for volunteers to come forth and take over some of the jobs the previous pastor did, one being to clean up the coffee table after second service. My thought is if they want to eat and drink during second service let the eaters and drinkers clean it up! Meow! I am being catty, I know. I personally don't think they need to eat and drink during the service. I know that the "new generation" churches do so, and so be it. Have done my cat chores and now looking at a mess in the living room. I created it yesterday when I was looking for something and still haven't found it. I am so good at that! Supposedly our internet speed has just been upgraded. On Friday it kept kicking me off and then would come back on. Bob finally called the tech and he rebooted the box saying we had a strong signal. It must have been hiding somewhere because the reboot didn't help. Yesterday and today it has worked fine.

"Gma," I'm sorry the movie was disappointing. Our senior movie tickets are $6 while the regular ones are $8. I get so disgusted with the local theater; there are three screens. They get "crappy" movies and keep them for weeks. If a good comedy, love story, etc., comes along it might show for five days. Tonight is The Lion King at church. I hope I can stay awake! Actually, I had a chicken dinner today! We often order them to go on Sunday; you can get more pieces but we get two pieces of chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, and a roll. There are other side options of baked beans, corn, or apple sauce. They have a drive through window so I didn't even have to go in. My last summers kitten, the only one left from the winter gang, has had kittens under the deck behind us. I call her Scruffy because she has longer hair and when she was little it went every which way. Today I happened to see her moving them and they look about as big as a mouse. She isn't very big herself and I wasn't sure if she was a he or she until she started getting a little round in the middle. Hope you found the commissary shopping short and sweet today!

I need to get back to my mess. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 07-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #19  

Good morning. It started out a nice cool morning this morning. I am leaving in about half an hour to go to the doctor's so we shall see what the temps are them. I hope I can get in and out, get refill prescriptions, get my exemption from jury letter and be done with it. Pipe dream but you have to dream sometimes!

We got the commissary done fairly quickly but I do not understand why they restock on Saturday and Sunday instead of Tuesday-Friday. The are closed on Monday and heaven forbid they come in on a closed day and restock. There are stockers and boxes and carts etc all through the aisles. They remodeled the two bathrooms months ago and they still aren't opened. You have to go back to the back of the store and go back into the break room to use their bathrooms.

Jack printed out the luggage tags and put them in the sleeves on and bags yesterday. It makes him feel like the cruise is close. I guess because it is the last thing you do cruise wise.

Jean: I agree. Nothing wrong with maybe having pastries and coffee or something occasionally like Easter or something, but every week? Geez can't they eat at home before they come. Cut it out and one less job for volunteers. We went to an Italian restaurant after the ball game yesterday but it was almost empty. Our food wasn't hot for the first time ever and we sent it back and it still wasn't very hot. I brought mine home figuring Jack could take it for lunch. We came home and pulled into the complex and our street had 8 police cars parked on both sides of the street with the police out milling around. We had to get them to move cars to get into our garage. Have no idea what the problem was, but they weren't our gang unit or the fugitive warrant people so maybe it was domestic or something who knows?

I better get out of here and get things ready to go. Have a good week this week.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:49 PM   #20  

Good Evening! Another beautiful day to end the month of July. Even though we had some of last weeks offering, there wasn't much to count this morning at church. My watch died over the weekend so stopped by the jewelry store for a new battery. While I was waiting I watched a slide show of new jewelry styles, one of which is a thumbprint piece. I had never heard of that and am toying with the idea of Bob's thumbprint along with the grandchildren's birthstones. The gift shop money didn't take very long so had that done before lunch. I made the bank deposit and went back to church to look for more memorial money. I happened to be coming home at the same time as our regular mailman was making the rounds so I waited for him. I asked who was supposed to deliver the mail while he was gone and told him I didn't think our block got anything on Friday and way more than usual on Saturday. The person who was supposed to deliver on Friday has done this route before, lie number one by the gal Bob talked to on Saturday. Our carriers pick up mail at a little town south of us and deliver in the country as well as our area; she had thirteen hours on the clock and they pulled her off the route so no one from that town north got any mail on Friday. I am really mad about that, not that it will do any good. Lie number two was the post office gal saying she hoped if a neighbor got our mail by mistake that they would bring it to us.

"Gma," hope your doctor appointment went well and you have your excused from jury duty letter. The church has donut holes, oj, and coffee in the family life center between services, they don't really need to have food in the sanctuary imo. One very obese, gross young man who comes to first service grabs two or three granola bars, snarfs those down, and goes back for more before church ever gets started. I had him in school and am thankful he sits on the opposite side of the church. He sits with his parents who are "normal," sort of, and you'd think they would keep him in line. That would be a little unnerving to arrive home and find the police prowling around.

I need to unload the dishwasher and then decide what I'm wearing tomorrow. I have an auxiliary board lunch meeting and then a haircut. Am thinking I might get my nails done first thing as they need new polish. Hope you have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!
Old 08-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #21  

Good morning ladies! Back up to rising temps again. I am in today as I am hoping to get some housework done. I have load of laundry in the washer I need to get in the dryer and get started on some cleaning. I am kind of eh about it as I slept wrong last night and my back hurts. I may have to just take a chair around and sit and clean the things I want to clean. We shall see.

Dr appointment went fine. He is a nice young man. He gave me a letter and was kind of funny. He told me to read it and see if it was ok then ask me if I wanted him to soften the languages as he didn't want to embarrass me. I told him no, that it was perfect. I had to pee in a cup and give blood and he wants me to bring my bp cuff next time to compare with theirs as my bp was higher than my cuff at home says. He was pleased as I had lost 15 lbs since last time. I have to go back in the end of the year.

Jean: I have something out for delivery with the post office today so we shall see if I get it. I bought a Vera Bradley tote that I can carry on board to carry some of my stuff in. I can put it between my legs on the scooter. I have a waxing appointment this week and nails next week. I need to sit down and look at my outfits for the cruise and match them up with shoes, so I am not taking a lot of shoes this time.

You all have a nice Tuesday!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:15 PM   #22  

Good Evening! It's been another nice day although a little more humid. I went to get my nails done this morning and decided to do my toes too. Then I headed to the hospital for lunch and the board meeting. After that I went for a hair cut. We had the "neighborhood night out" on our street tonight hosted by the new ER doctor. I was amazed at the number of little kids who live out here! We don't have any down by us except the doctor's one year old son who was in constant motion. It was nice to visit with people I knew and some I didn't. Bob got home as people were leaving. He drove through rain but so far nothing here.

"Gma," I'm so glad you have your jury letter and are good not to go! Congrats on the 15#s gone forever! I just have to giggle at you and your cruise clothes. I'll bet you have enough to be gone a month! I am going to check and see how many pairs of shoes you take along.

For some reason, I am tired tonight! I think I will head to bed soon! Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 08-01-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:27 AM   #23  

Good morning to you all. It is nice and cool this morning and the temps have decided to stabilize in the 80's now for a couple weeks, which will be nice.

I pulled a muscle in my shoulder/neck taking the trash bag out of our kitchen trash can so that nixed working in the house yesterday. I did get the laundry done and the dishes put away, but had to sit down to fold laundry because it hurt to bend over to get stuff out of the dryer. I am aiming for getting some work done today.

I am still nervous about the whole jury thing. I emailed it and you have no way of knowing whether they got it or not. If I haven't gotten an email by Friday morning guess I will call them to see the status. If they haven't done anything I am going to mail the letter to them certified on Friday so I know they have it in their hands on Monday. I have to show up a week from Friday so I want this over and done with.

Jean: They charged me $10 to press my dress at the cleaners! Since it is long and has a lot of embroidery, I didn't want to do it myself, but geez. Our cruise dry cleaning stuff cost me $41. Two tux shirts, a tux, a dinner jacket, and my dress. She even screwed up the charge on the tux by $3 or it would have been more than that. I am taking two pairs of dress shoes I know that and I have at least 5 of different colors I know I am taking so that is 7 at least. We are supposed to get a lot of rain in the next couple weeks according to the weather channel. We shall see.

Everyone have a great Wednesday
Old 08-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #24  

Good Afternoon! It's been another nice day but no rain. I had a dentist appointment this morning, just cleaning, no cavities, and $102 later I was out the door. I am seriously considering switching to once a year instead of twice except I do want to keep my teeth. After lunch I took checks back to the hospital and then worked on the mess I created yesterday when I cleaned out a drawer in the kitchen. I have enough pens, scratch pads, and sticky notes to start my own store! Most of them were "free" and have advertising of some sort on them. I bagged them up and they are going to the church rummage sale! I wrote the next weeks church birthday cards so that job is done. Our local baseball team has a playoff game tonight and Bob would like to go. We haven't been to any because the home games were always on the same night as Ian's. Many years ago Bob's uncle played on this team; now most of the players are college kids trying to be recognized by coaches to move up the ranks.

"Gma," our high tomorrow is supposed to be 68! Tomorrow night is high 40s. More crazy weather on tap! About the only thing we take to the cleaners anymore is Bob's suits. It is expensive, that's for sure. I wish cruise ships had a laundry where one could do their own even if they had to buy special detergent and softener to do it. Hope your shoulder is feeling better.

Guess I should be thinking of something for supper. I happen to have a white top on and will get free popcorn, at the game, by wearing white tonight! They have a gimmick of some sort at every game I guess. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:42 AM   #25  

Good morning to you all. We have rain coming in soon and looks like it is going to last on and off for the next week or so. It is supposed to be hot today, but looks like overall the temps have dropped quite a bit.

I have a waxing appointment today and it is going to be difficult because I still have a stiff neck and shoulder and my right shoulder has pretty bad arthritis in it anyway so it is hard to lift above my head to do my underarms. She is just going to have to help me along today I guess.

We are having deli sandwiches tonight as my appointment is in the afternoon and screws up fixing dinner. I think I am going to get one of their small chicken salad sandwiches.

Haven't heard anything from the jury commission so guess I am going to have to call tomorrow. Who knows what kind of reception I will get from them calling. I am very anxious about this as the jury selection is a week from tomorrow and Jack will have to take off and take me downtown if they haven't made a decision. I can't walk from where they have parking down to the courthouse so he has to come and put my scooter together then sit and wait on me. It is ridiculous. If they haven't made a decision today and I call tomorrow and nothing, I am getting in the car and taking the letter and mailing it to them certified so it is there on Monday.

Jean: Hope you had a nice time at the ballgame last night and enjoyed your popcorn. I have Jack addicted to caramel corn now. I bought him some Werthers and he loved it so now he likes having it here for snacks. I agree about the laundry thing on ships. I guess though when you have a ship with thousands on it, it would be kind of difficult to have something big enough to accommodate them over the week. You can send stuff in, but I am not comfortable with that unless it is just to have something pressed.

Everyone have a good Thursday!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #26  

Good Afternoon! Sometime during the night we got 1/3" of rain and cooler temperatures moved in. It was 62 degrees this morning when I came downstairs. It was sunny and breezy all day; warmed up a bit this afternoon. I made a serious grocery list, and planned to head to the grocery store that had a big gas cents off sale today, tomorrow, and Saturday. Our gas has been going up steadily for the last ten days, $2.21 this morning. I ended up with $.60 off, a gallon, on 20 gallons for Bob's pickup. Anyhow, Bob got a call to usher at a funeral this morning so I had to iron his white shirt first. The grocery store was an absolute zoo! People driving the wrong way down the parking lanes, parking carts on one side of the aisle then taking up body space on the other side while they take inventory, or leaving their cart parked to go pick up something somewhere else. It took me over an hour to get through and I had my list made in the order of what I wanted but people kept getting in my way. We went to Sioux City this afternoon and took the kids out for ice cream. We give them money for school shopping and the tax free weekend is this weekend. We made a quick stop at SAM's Club and headed home. Bob is at a town meeting now. A developer wants to build low rent apartments at the end of our development and a contingent of concerned residents are going to protest. We have enough undesirables moving into houses without adding to the problem.

"Gma," I hope you have received a message regarding jury duty. They move at their own pace like government usually does. Bob got a letter signed by the judge but I don't remember how long it took. Our team won the game by one run last night. It was a slow start for them but it was fun to watch how much faster they played compared to Ian's age group. The announcer played popular (?) goofy music while waiting for the batters or teams to change places then they had a couple of games for the kids to compete for free pizza or water park tickets. Friday night is the championship game but it isn't here so we aren't going. We probably would go if we had gone to more games and sort of knew the players.

I am planning on staying home tomorrow and doing some serious cleaning! Enjoy the rest of a terrific Tuesday!
Old 08-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #27  

Good morning. Much cooler this morning after a whopper thunderstorm moved through around 7 AM or so. It is now bright and sunny and probably humid as all get outs.

I am going to vacuum and mop today and then finish up tomorrow. Hopefully the floors won't get all dirty right away from wet shoes. We don't have anything going on this weekend so it should be quiet here.

I got my last dress for night time dining on the cruise. I don't wear short dresses, but this one came a little longer than mid calf so it was ok. The unusual thing is it came with it's own necklace but the necklace, buttoned inside of the sleeve. It is sleeveless but has a jacket so if you have the necklace on, you don't see it disappear under the sleeveless part. It can be taken on and off so you don't have to wear it, but it goes nicely and I don't wear sleeveless dresses unless I have a sweater or such over my arms.

Jean: I was tired of the stress of not knowing so I called the jury commission this morning and sure enough they have excused me. Glad I didn't wait any longer. Don't know why they didn't bother to let me know. Cubs lost by two last night but it went back and forth a lot and there was I think 4 rain delays. The game started at 1 and finished 7 hours later.

You all have a nice weekend. I am off to vacuum.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #28  

Good Afternoon! It was 46 degrees when I came downstairs this morning! It has been another nice sunny day and warmed up to 70 this afternoon. I spent the day doing some much needed sorting and pitching in a spare closet when I intended to work in our bedroom closet, but now I have some extra space for Bob's dress shirts that he hardly wears anymore since the office is casual dress. I need to vacuum but thinking tomorrow will be soon enough!

"Game," your new dress sounds interesting with the necklace. You will have to lay all of your new outfits out and share a picture! I don't think I could sit through a game lasting seven hours. The rain, if it was serious rain, would send me packing. Our tickets the other night were $5 a piece, same as Ian's tournament games. I've never been to a pro game so maybe the ticket cost would change my mind about leaving. Do you a steam vac on your floors? It's nice to have clean floors but I'd rather do something else. :lol

We are having leftovers for supper: pizza, fruit, and raw veggies! Guess I need to get them on the table! Enjoy your evening!
Old 08-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #29  

Good morning to you all. We are expecting lots of rain today all day. Doesn't sound like it has started yet, but I haven't opened the door.

We didn't do much yesterday just sat around a lot. I finished most of the downstairs cleaning but will mop today. I was going to do it yesterday then got lazy.

Not much going on with me today. I am going to have to get the baby blanket done as her shower is right before we leave on the cruise. I have to finish it, wash it and the hat and block everything, then wrap it, get a card and mail it. I am pretty close to being done, but I made it wider so it takes longer to do a row. I think it came out pretty. It is different at least.

Jean: I had a couple steam mops and a Bissell floor cleaner. I gave the floor cleaner away as you kept having to change out the water and refill as it had a tiny holder and you couldn't mop much and then have to empty, etc. I now use a dry pad mop that uses liquid in it. I like it because I can throw the pads in the washer and dryer. Sounds like you have been having some cooler weather. It is going to take weeks and weeks to get all our closets and such cleaned out, but I told Jack we will do it every other weekend and we will get it organized. I wonder how we ever lived as kids in little houses!

Everyone have a good start to the week.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #30  

Good Evening! We got up to rain this morning and then the sun came out mid morning, just a nice day in my neighborhood. Counting took a little longer at church this morning which is not unusual for the first Sunday of the month since several people give once for the whole month. I made a quick WM stop on my way to pick up the gift shop money on my way home. After lunch I worked on the gift shop books. The statement is off the same amount of a bill, from May, that I can't find was ever paid. We have a funeral tomorrow morning for the husband of the retired school secretary/lunch bunch buddy. They live a few blocks from us and he was Jason's high school baseball coach.

"Gma," our weather is supposed to be warming up to the high 80s again. Crazy weather all over the country! I sorted through a couple of junk drawers over the weekend. I pitched a lot! It will be a good feeling to have the baby blanket finished. Where does your niece live that is having the baby?

The dryer is buzzing and I have towels to fold. Hope you enjoy a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!