3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias -- #7 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/313098-steel-magnolias-7-a.html)

Jean 05-03-2017 11:05 AM

Steel Magnolias -- #7

Good Morning! We are back to clouds but no wind, and rain coming tonight. This morning I washed and dried a load of clothes, then made a pan of brownies for Jason. He and Ian are chocoholics so hope Ian will get at least one. Not sure if we will head to the lake before or after lunch.

"Gma," I saw the cuff links on FB, nice looking. No, we won't be buying another cabin. There are plenty of rentals all around the lakes area but the weather is so iffy I'd hate to pay $2000 for a week of rain, wind, and/or cold. The grandkids are getting busier in the summer with camps and baseball games so it's hard to get everyone together. I know it will be hard for Bob because he grew up going to the cabin with his grandparents, his mom spent summers there with the kids, and then our own family. Lots of memories for him. I'm not sure what we will do with the boats. Bob spotted a bigger 'n better fishing boat from the same place he got the last one. The larger boat we can either store on the trailer at the marina or rent a hoist for the summer. I really doubt we will use it much simply because our lake is so much smaller and not much to see/do unless you ski or have access to a beach. We have a couple of public beaches but they are crazy busy in the summer. With the packing plants "accidentally" dumping sewage into the lake occasionally, I wouldn't swim in this lake for anything, but that is just me. Thanks again for sharing the recipe. I received a cookbook for a shower gift, "Dinner for Two." I had used a similar recipe in that book and got it out to check. :woohoo: There was my recipe card from when you gave me the recipe before! This recipe calls for 1/2 c flour, 1 t salt, 1/4 t pepper, 1/4 t paprika, 1/4 c butter, and 2-2 1/2# chicken. Same baking directions. The recipe is now in my recipe box! :D

I need to unload the dishwasher and write a couple birthday cards. Hope you enjoy a nice day! :wave:

gma22 05-04-2017 07:37 AM

Good morning to you all. It is raining at the moment but I hope it stops by the time I have to get out and about around noon. I have a waxing appointment today.

I finally got my tank top. I have others, but this one was tunic length. Since all of my operations, I have big indentions where the first two surgeries cut me open and then the ostomy one and I am also lopsided with my belly so I wear long tops all the time. Jack got his pants and shorts and he loves the new shorts. They are very lightweight and cool and will be perfect for the cruise. They are pretty colors too a light aqua and very pale yellow and they hit right at the knee so are a bit longer, which he likes. We got the tumblers and they are terrific. I put a cold drink in mine last night around 7 pm and when I got up this morning, there was still ice in the glass. It also has a lifetime warranty on them. Can't beat that.

Jean: When we were kids we would go to the lake almost every weekend. There was a lake in southwest Michigan called Barron Lake and it was great. It was a specific beach area that was fenced in and you paid like a $1 per car load. It had swings and slides and a concession and a big concrete slab where you could dance and they had music playing all the time. They had those two person paddleboats and a very large picnic area. With pollution the way it is, I don't even know if that lake is open for swimming and such anymore. I am not a lake or ocean swimmer. In fact, I have rubber shoes I wear to walk into the ocean water. I don't want my feet to touch anything. :lol: I wasn't that way as a kid for sure. We went to Fish lake, which was about 6 miles away a lot during the summer with moms who didn't work and that was always fun. Jack would like to rent a sailboat sometime when we go on cruises or at least go on an excursion of one, but my knee just wouldn't be able to climb on and off and I wouldn't be able to stand up at all because my balance is shot.

Everyone have a good day today.

Jean 05-05-2017 08:38 AM

Good Morning! The sun is shining and brightly and it looks like it's going to be another nice day. Two nice days in a row would be great; three or four even better! Yesterday was just a little busy with another trip to the cabin to bring home the trailer loaded with furniture. Bob said he felt like the Beverly Hillbillies! It was piled high with a tarp covering the top. Dropped off furniture, no one one wanted, at a work activity center for mentally challenged adults who live in supervised housing. In the afternoon we headed to Sioux City for Maddy's middle school soccer game; they lost to a very good team and she was a little bummed. An hour later was Kolby's first band concert. He was dressed up in an aqua dress shirt, black slacks, aqua/black tie, and a black vest with a tiny aqua stripe. He looked very grown up! Most of the girls were dressed up but several boys looked like they dressed from leftovers on the bedroom floor. Maddy's second game was canceled because the field was underwater. This was a field they took two years to overhaul; evidently their drainage system failed. Today I have a luncheon meeting and then need to work on some boxes we brought home from the lake. Once the cabin dust settles, I am determined to continue sorting through the excess stuff taking up space in this house!

"Gma," I could have sworn I posted yesterday but must have been in my dreams. :o When Bob and I were dating, I talked him into renting a paddle boat one time. They are work! I went to summer school the summers before we were married so spent weekends at the cabin. My mom had to write a permission letter that I could leave the campus. Those were good old days! I'm not a lake swimmer either but paid my dues to "catch" Bob. :lol: I have been on a sailboat a couple times but never felt as safe as in a regular boat. I never could figure out where I was supposed to move to when changing directions in regards to the wind.

My coffee is gone and I need to get busy! Hope you have a fantastic Friday! :wave:

gma22 05-05-2017 12:03 PM

Good morning. Boy am I sluggish today and don't know why. I feel like it should be afternoon and it isn't even 11. I have a crockpot of chicken on to make chicken and noodles for dinner tonight so the whole house smells like chicken. Time to turn on the wax diffusers!

I have made up my two grocery lists and will type the commissary one up tomorrow and put the WM one in my notes AP on my Ipad. Lots of stuff to buy this time. I have to try and get more veg in my diet. I give up on Jack as he just won't eat most, but I need to get myself on more veg.

The delivery people have to be happy as there are no deliveries here today. I do have a couple shirts coming tomorrow though and stuff next week.

I got the bills paid for this week and am so far behind on that blanket I can't tell you. I only have 4 more squares to do, but just haven't felt like working on it. She is definitely going to get the stuff late or I will just keep it for next year for her birthday. Who knows?

Jean: Never been on a sailboat and only in a row boat and once one a speedboat. Well and then there is the aircraft carrier, a Coast Guard cutter once and the cruise ships. I got my dress to the cleaners and she said it would be ready next week. I talked to the owner and she and her husband are in their 80's and have had the store for 45 years. He is 88 and still goes to work every day at some plant they own, which I think is tied to the dry cleaners somehow. She said she was 83 and looked 10 years younger than that. She said if they closed it up, she wouldn't have anything to do and would probably just die. We are cleaning and pitching after we get home from vacation. It is going to take forever, but I am bound and determined to get my upstairs and the pantry area straightened up. Everything always looks a mess because nothing is organized anymore. I just have too much stuff and not enough room.

Everyone have a great weekend!!!

QuilterInVA 05-05-2017 06:33 PM

Good evening, ladies! 80 degrees and lots of rain today - more rain tomorrow.\

Dr. was very pleased and said I didn't need to come back on my left leg anymore. We then scheduled the right knee for June 7. I was very happy that he said I could go to the Y as long as I didn't run, jog, or jump - not anything I do anyhow. Even though it was raining, I went to chair yoga this morning. It was good to see my friends. They made me feel like royalty with their welcome.

Donna, I need to weed out my spare bedroom. It's become a dumping spot for stuff I don't know what to do with. It'll have to wait until I'm well over my surgeries however. I love vegetables but I have a tendency to buy too many at a time and end up throwing stuff away. I need to work on that.

Jean, I could picture the Iowa hillbillies driving down the road with their load of furniture.

Have a good evening!

gma22 05-06-2017 06:40 PM

Good afternoon. We had WM shopping this morning and we took a run out to the gastro dr so I would know where it is. I never use the GPS as Jack is always with me when we use it so I have no clue how to use the darn thing! Jack said he would teach me.

We are having so many problems with the darn management company again. They let the master hazard insurance lapse and the credit union says if they don't get the new info in a month they will charge us for the insurance to the tune of over $100 a month for something we aren't even responsible for. Jack has called this guy 4 times and he keeps saying he has taken care of it and he hasn't as Jack called the credit union an hour ago. I am just stressed out by this. We carry personal homeowner's insurance but this is insurance for the buildings.

They sent my tops to the wrong post office so I don't know where they are right now. They didn't come in with the mail today. I will check late just to make sure he didn't come back and stick it in the mailbox. I am ok with it as long as it doesn't get stuck out there late and someone steals it.

Tomorrow is commissary day and I have a lot of stuff to get tomorrow so hopefully they have everything or it is back to WM and try and find what I want.

Susan: It is so good to hear from you and that you are doing well. I have to go to a consult in two weeks for a colonoscopy. I hope I don't hate the guy as I need to get this done. He stays booked way in advance too and I have been waiting over 6 weeks just to get in to see him for a consult. Hope your second surgery goes as well as the first one. I have the same issue with fruits and veg. They just don't seem to last for me over a couple days or so for fruit and veg maybe if I am lucky a week.

Everyone have a great day! Jean, hope the cabin cleanout is coming along ok.

Jean 05-06-2017 07:17 PM

Good Afternoon! It's been another beautiful day in my neighborhood! I've done some laundry, vacuumed fur bunnies, unloaded the dishwasher, and need to think about something for supper in a bit.

"Gma," hope your shopping trips go well. I admire you for going to WM on Saturday! I had a conversation with a lady at lunch yesterday who said her daughter refuses to shop at WM. When she lived here with our limited shopping, she shopped on Amazon almost daily. The daughter was a professor at the college. I hope you are able to get your condo insurance situation straightened out. I hate messes like that. I finally called the cable company when they raised our bill another $20 after a $20 increase a few months ago. It was easier than I thought it would be. We got a notice today that our paper carrier has resigned. He has put our paper in the front door for 9 years and it took me several calls to the newspaper to get that done. I finally said we would quit taking the paper if he continued to throw it in the driveway. Our driveway is four plus cars wide and long so I'm not going to play "let's see where the paper landed today." Hope your tops find their way to your mailbox!

Susan, I'm so glad you are doing so well with your new knee. I did have to chuckle at your doctor saying no running, jogging, nor jumping. I am embarrassed at the clothes I have that I haven't worn for a long time. I need something new for social events, casual but nice. I have lots of grubby things to wear around the house. I need to practice getting rid of an item whenever I buy something new. We brought home a cute little drop leaf kitchen table and four chairs I picked out for Bob's mom when she moved into assisted living. Don't know where it will end up but I can put my sewing machine on the table in a spare bedroom . . . . when I sort through the other stuff stored there.

Bob just asked what's for supper so guess I need to get out the leftovers. He grilled steaks for lunch so I'm not very hungry. Hope you enjoy a nice evening! :wave:

gma22 05-07-2017 07:24 AM

Good morning to you both. It is cool this morning but supposed to be lovely and sunny to go shopping this morning.

I had to laugh yesterday as I told Jack just about the time I get caught up on deliveries we buy a bunch of stuff. :lol: He decided he loved those new shorts so much he wanted some more so I ordered him three more pairs. He also needed all new undies and his little ankle socks so I ordered them from Target. We got a letter saying if we didn't use it in the next two months they would close the account and he needed the stuff so I just ordered it yesterday. We don't go to Target much as the Super Target doesn't carry some of the stuff I use all the time, Jack doesn't like their clothing and their clothes don't fit me. Our Target and WM are next door to each other and we just go to WM though I like Target better.

My shirts are still in limbo somewhere though they were supposed to be delivered yesterday. I imagine they will be delivered tomorrow. No biggie as they are cruise clothes.

Jean: I have more clothes than the Kardashians I think! :lol: That and shoes and handbags. I guess it is because we couldn't afford stuff for so long and I usually went without if it were me or the kids of course. Who knows? I know I have to go through them all and get rid of a bunch of stuff I hate or don't wear or doesn't fit or whatever. I bought all new cruise clothes for this year so I could get more wear out of them and they would wrinkle less. We shall see how that works out. I really did try and cut down on the number of pairs of shoes for the cruise, but I am kind of losing that battle. I had to laugh at you bringing the table and chairs home and always saying you need to get rid of stuff so you have more room. :lol: Jack never asks what's for supper. I either ask him the night before what he wants the next day for supper and I get, "what do you have?" or the day of he texts me and says what are we having so he can put in his points! I did talk him into this cube steak crockpot recipe. I just hope it isn't god awful when I make it. I am buying a couple cans of cream of mushroom soup and going to put it through my blender and use it on another recipe I know he will like. I will never be able to tell him it has mushrooms in it though as even if he loved it he wouldn't eat it again. He is convinced that mushrooms will poison people. Hope you get a new paperboy. On Sundays we have people all over the city sitting in the medians or on corners selling the Sunday paper. I feel so bad for them on cold or rainy days and there they sit all day long. We don't buy the paper or get it delivered. Jack used to buy it every morning going to work, but he even stopped that. We go to WM super early, around 8 AM and it isn't busy at all.

Everyone have a nice day and rest of the weekend.

Jean 05-07-2017 09:58 PM

Good Evening! Spent most of the day at the cabin, packing, then loading a U Haul truck, a van, an Expedition, and our pickup. I never dreamt there was so much stuff! We brought home boxes of stuff to go through later. I'm guessing most of it can be pitched. Bob plans to go up sometime this week and finish the shed and load the rest of the boxes. The little boat will be the last trip with anything left over, I think.

"Gma," I'd really like to get rid of my big kitchen table but with the leaves in, it will seat six comfortably or seven if we squeeze. I have six chairs to go with it but they are big and cumbersome; the two extra chairs take up space where Ernie has his toy box and scratching box. The chairs that go with the smaller table are smaller, but sturdy, and have a design scrolled across the top. Guess since I picked them out is why I want them. Our paper carrier was a man who, in talking to others, must deliver all over town. We get our paper about 2:30 every morning, and he doesn't pull in the driveway, he walks from the street. There used to be four or five of us and he would park in the middle and walk every house. I doubt kids deliver the papers any more, too much of a commitment. It paid pretty good, for a kid, when Jason did it many years ago. I will be curious as to how your cruise clothes wrinkle or not. I have never rolled my clothes but did put plastic bags between different items. I think it helped but when they are packed for two or three days there are wrinkles! Bob packed a new shirt, unbeknownst to me, and it was a wrinkled mess. I wouldn't let him wear it, and sent it to the laundry. That's probably what I like most about being in a condo with a washer and dryer. How did the cube steak turn out? Sounds good to me.

I have a May breakfast meeting tomorrow morning so hope the church counting goes smoothly. I may have to finish the computer part after the meeting. Ian and Zowie both have concerts tomorrow night. Ian's team won all of their basketball games this weekend. He came home with a medal instead of a shirt this time. :D I need to figure out what I'm wearing tomorrow. Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday! :wave:

gma22 05-09-2017 08:05 AM

Good morning to you. It is going to be a gorgeous day here today in the mid 80's by afternoon. It is in the 60's right now and I have the back door open with the lovely cool breeze coming in.

I have a downstairs to get cleaned today that didn't get done yesterday and more of the knitting done. It isn't going to get done before her birthday, which is a week from today, but I will finish and get it mailed to her soon.

I am fixing Jack beef tips and rice for dinner and shhhhh it has mushroom soup in it. I am going to pulverize the mushroom pieces in my heavy duty blender. He would have a cow if he ever found out, but it is the only soup flavor that will work for this recipe.

I got my two shirts finally and liked them until I put the one in the dryer. It shrunk up and wrinkled something awful. Haven't decided what to do as they won't take it back as it has been washed. I didn't put it on, I just noticed it didn't look at long. The other one is great and will look great with my new Bermuda shorts when they finally ship. It is a white top with big maroon, deep pink and gray tropical flowers and the bottoms are a color called boysenberry.

Everything is now paid for that can be paid for. One hotel, gas, food and cash is all we will have now and I just happen to check the one hotel and the price went down so I saved $50 on it. Jack did the last thing last night, which was to order an update for our gps on the MKS. Dang those things aren't cheap!!!

Jean: I completely got rid of our table and chairs. We have no one here that comes to eat so we don't really need one. We eat on tray tables for every meal. I haven't made the cube steak yet. I'll let you know about the beef tips as it will be the first time for making them.

Everyone have a good day today.

Jean 05-09-2017 02:08 PM

Good Afternoon! Had a pedicure and nails done first thing this morning, then stopped at the church office to check on a returned birthday card, the grocery store, and the hospital to drop off a check. We will be heading to Sioux City shortly with a stop at SAMs Club and Penneys before Maddy's two soccer games. It's a beautiful sunny day so will be nice to enjoy the games without sitting in the cold. Maybe I can put my winter coat away finally.

"Gma," I could probably round up the floor dust and plant a flower in it. :o I think we are going to have the furnace vents cleaned once we get the painting and carpet done. That project isn't moving as fast as I would like. Do you think the gps information changes all that much from year to year? We've never used ours on this car. Bob uses the iPad to check where something is located, and it's mostly school gyms or baseball fields within a 100 miles or so. I would miss my table since we use it to eat on, play cards, read the newspapers, then I count the gift shop money and do the paperwork/computer and bank work there too. We had a bounced check last week -- makes me so %#^}*{^ :mad:!

Bob says he is ready so guess we are on the road again. Hope you enjoy the rest of a terrific Tuesday! :wave:

gma22 05-10-2017 07:22 AM

Good morning to you all. Going to be nice again today. I ran the ac unit all night last night. It is off at the moment, but probably won't be long and I will have to turn it back on. Guess we are moving into summer temps.

I got absolutely nothing done except laundry yesterday and then I had to sit down to do that. I did something to my back and brother is it sore. Probably reaching up for something. If I have to sit in a chair and roll around today I am going to accomplish getting this house cleaned downstairs.

I fixed those beef tips and rice last night. I am keeping this secret for sure. I plain out lied to him and told him there was nothing weird in it. Well, mushroom soup isn't weird except to him! :lol: I used my blender and blended the heck out of it and just added all the other ingredients like the soup mix and such right in and mixed it all up. Since I pulverized the onions in the soup mix I cut up an onion into strips as he is a real onion lover. Well, verdict is in. He ate two helpings! :carrot::carrot::carrot: It is a pain to have to go through, but now I know I can do this when I make smothered pork chops or other beef dishes that need mushroom soup. I did put the can in a grocery bag and tied it up and shoved it into the bottom of the trash can though. Hey, you have to be sneaky with husbands sometimes. :lol:

Jean: We use our gps a lot when we travel anywhere and from what Jack says the upgrade means the maps have been upgraded to add on new streets or restaurants and stuff like that. Jack showed me how to use it, but don't know if I will remember. It is sure better that the suction cup one that would fall off if it wasn't secured tightly. I have to giggle. I always think of Bob, you and Willie Nelson with him singing, "On the Road Again..Just can't wait to get on the road again." :lol: Hope the kids won their games.

Have a good day today all.

Jean 05-10-2017 05:51 PM

Good Afternoon! It is a rainy day which ok for the yard and flowers, not so much for the farmers trying to plant. Last night Maddy's second soccer game got called because of lightning and then a downpour. She plays in a city league with several different sized fields in a large complex. The first games hadn't finished yet but the second game people were arriving when the lightning was spotted. I've never seen so many people clear an area so fast, the rain came down fast and hard with no warning. There was no thunder which I thought was strange. Her middle school final score was a tie; they play on a regular football field. She was bummed because she was the goalie but the girl kicked the ball way over Maddy's head and there was no way to stop it. I had lunch bunch at noon then a date with Bob and a few boxes in the garage. Not my idea of fun but will be glad when it is all done. He took several boxes to the SOS store and we will do some more tomorrow. It's cold out there today and he has a meeting at church at 5.

"Gma," I hope your back is feeling better by now. Maybe moving around will help it. If I sit catty-wumpus in the car for a long time I will be stiff when I unfold and crawl out. I never thought the chunks of mushrooms in the soup were that big. I'm good at fishing mushrooms off pizza or out of nachos. They are usually whole or at least a half -- slimey! We like to order nachos and share at a favorite restaurant. The menu says "as is/no substitutions" and I always have a pile of mushrooms and jalapeņos on the sour cream and salsa plate. I don't think I can disguise or blend lima beans. Bob says they taste like little bags of dust. :rolleyes: I had to laugh at him when he said he felt like the Beverly Hillbillies coming home from the lake. That's exactly what he looked like.

I have a load of laundry to get in the dryer so need to go do that. Hope you enjoy the rest of a wonderful Wednesday! :wave:

gma22 05-11-2017 09:39 AM

Good morning to you all. We are not supposed to get storms but it sure isn't sunny outside like they said it would be.

I got part of the house done but then when they delivered the mail and my package wasn't delivered I called them. She said she would contact the carrier and call me back. I sat around all afternoon with the phone close at hand so I wouldn't miss it and of course she didn't call, but they logged it in that I was not available! :mad::mad: I called at 8 this morning and read them the riot act, but he kept interrupting me saying he would make sure it went out for deliver so I said thank you and hung up. No sense getting your bp up because they just don't care. We shall see what comes today. The gps never got delivered either so hoping it will be delivered today.

Jack is halfway through the month almost and no jury duty yet. He said he would like to get called just to get it over with as they have it set up if you are told to go and go in and sit around all day and then don't get called you are off the hook.

Jean: We had lightening here at midnight, which woke me up but no thunder at all and no rain. Didn't act like heat lightening either. My electricity went off twice yesterday so I imagine we will have to deal with that all summer. I love mushrooms of all kinds and Jack absolutely won't eat them under any condition. If he had seen those little pieces he wouldn't have eaten the meat at all and been mad so I had to make sure they were liquefied pretty much so I could use the soup flavor. He can thank his mother for that. Sometimes cooking for him is so frustrating I feel like just making it and if he won't eat it say, "tough," and let him eat a sandwich, but then food would get thrown away. I am making sweet and sour shrimp tonight so we shall see how that goes. I have made another shrimp stir fry that is really garlicky, but am going to try this Pampered Chef recipe I found that looks good.

Everyone have a wonderful day today. I need to fix me some breakfast.

Jean 05-11-2017 11:19 AM

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it's a beautiful day in my neighborhood. I love the sun but it shows all the dust, fur, and footprints on my crappy floor. I had just started to vacuum when the cable guy came. The two channels are working fine today of course. The tech guy yesterday acted like I was the only one who ever had the problem whereas the guy today said they know others do also because they can track the channels here in town. His theory was to leave well enough alone; that sounded good to me since the price was right. ;) I have crafty club this afternoon and we are going back to the same bread and breakfast that I visited a month ago. I really don't want to go but feel obligated to the hostess who arranged it.

"Gma," do you have the same mail carrier every day? KI wonder if they sort their own mail like they do here in our post office. I would be so aggravated I'd probably rip into him for all the grief he causes. I've had others tell me to get a po box but I don't feel I should have to pay for one, and then make a special trip to pick up the mail because our substitute idiot runs so late. :dizzy: If I want something to leave town the same day one of us takes it to the post office. I hope you get it all today! A guy shot and killed a deputy sheriff, with his own gun, a few days ago. To spare the coworkers from having to deal with him, the murderer has been moved to Sioux City until his trial. He is heavily guarded wearing a bulletproof vest. I would hate to be on that jury and hope there is no way he can plead insanity. He has a rap sheet miles long, almost from the day he was born. A friend of Beth's put a picture on FB of mushrooms that look like sponges, all different shapes. I don't know if he picked them wild, but am thinking he did. I'm not planning food today since Bob is heading to the lake to meet Jason and finish cleaning out the shed. They had planned to yesterday but then Bob had a meeting last night that he'd forgotten about. I try to get him to write things on my calendar, sometimes he dos and sometimes he doesn't. :rolleyes:

I need to get the rest of the floor vacuumed and decide what to wear this afternoon. I really need to go clothes shopping . . . .some other day. Hope you enjoy a terrific Thursday! :wave: