Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 11:59 AM   #1  
~ Berry Happy ~

Default Discovery Health Body Challenge???

Hello - I was just wondering if anyone ended up signing up for the Discovery Health Body Challenge? By that I mean, actually going to the designated spot, and getting weighed in.

I was just curious to see how many ladies/gents from here went and got weighed. My mother and I were going to go, but a few days ago, I got this e-mail saying that they are going to be having a big turn out, (they said it was unexpected). They said the lines may be very long, and that there was a limited amount of supplies. So I just said Fooey on the whole thing, and decided it wasn't worth driving over 30 miles to stand in line for a long time, and possibly not get anything, but a weigh in.

There is a scale at my mother's house that I can use once a week, and that is fine with me.

So, did you go and get weighed? If so, how was it? Long lines? No supplies?

~ Kari ~
Old 01-12-2004, 01:20 PM   #2  
Gym'll fix it!!

I know a few girls on the site went and the lines were really LOOOOONG, apparently they queued for hours and they only had 125 goodie bags to give away at each venue i think they had to bring in more people to weigh people and they stopped checking everything (BMI etc ?) and it was just a case of jump on the scale in the end I would have been pretty disappointed at that!
Old 01-12-2004, 03:50 PM   #3  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

It seemed like this whole thing was rather chaotic. Our weigh in was in a small store in a very popular shopping mall - under normal circumstances it's usually a zoo there. When I got the email to expect long lines, considering the problems with their website already, I said forget it and didn't even try.

I am still doing a challenge to April, just on my own terms.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #4  
Amy Needs New Shoes

Yeah I didn't go to the store for the weigh in. It was in Dallas and I'm in Arlington (about 45 minutes away). And I know how bad the Galleria is on normal days. But I did register online. We'll see how it goes.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:48 PM   #5  

Height: 5'1"

I didn't go due to the fact that the nearest place is almost 200 miles from me...

I figured I would just stick with my own thing. Maybe that's a cop out... but I really don't think the whole thing was thought out enough to join. How terrible does that sound?

Anyway.....good luck to all in our own journeys to succeed!

Marti
Old 01-13-2004, 11:16 PM   #6  
Gym'll fix it!!

I can't remember the last time i checked in at the website either i was pretty disillusioned with the whole thing so i'm just doing my own thing again now.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:12 PM   #7  

Man, if we all feel this way I wonder what the people who went to the weigh in are thinking. What bothers me is that some people will just put total faith into something and not really look ahead. I know one of you guys said that it looks like a quick weight loss but what happens when you go back to eating normal food. I think even if you watched your portions you would gain something back. I know I have said this before and I know you guys have said it too but the foods are just not that thought out. Hopefully next year they will have it all worked out.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:26 PM   #8  

Default joined online instead

I joined online instead of going because like someone mentioned earlier, it was too far awat. I am doing my own thing also, but check their website for exercises, menu options and also to get an idea of what my stats should be in order to achieve fitness and lose weight. # calories, carbs, protein, fat, etc.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:41 PM   #9  
Gym'll fix it!!

Ooops, i forgot about that i said i would try and follow the mealplan ratios as well..but i have'nt..they only allowed me 850-1090 cals per day split into 5 meals but i'm having at least 1500 cals i'm struggling on that too..i'm not exactly stuffing myself
Old 01-15-2004, 03:50 PM   #10  

I think that my calories for the day was 1200 spread out. It is the carbs that I cannot believe I eat so much of! Everytime I plan something out to eat I realize that the carbs can do me in. I think I should have about 22 per meal, and that can be one item at times! I need to find out the carbs in fruits and veggies I think.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:07 PM   #11  
~ Berry Happy ~

Wow - sounds like the whole weigh in was probably a mess. GLAD I didn't go. I would have been VERY mad if I had to stand in line, just to get weighed. They REALLY wouldn't have wanted to put ME on T.V.

I have decided not to follow the discovery health website meal plan for me. Although the calories are in my range, I don't like the way the menu is layed out. There are a few good recipes I'd like to try though. (There are a few recipes I'd like to try...but SEEM to be missing a few ingredients.)

So I guess I'll be doing my own thing!

I hope everyone is doing well!

~ Kari ~
Old 01-15-2004, 11:10 PM   #12  
Gym'll fix it!!

Jolee95..mine is 22g of Carbs per meal too..i've just looked..the carbs do me in too i mean what can you eat for that amount? one slice of bread? there are carbs in everything it is so hard to keep them on the low side and no matter how much protein i think i'm eating i can never meet the ratio on that either
Old 01-15-2004, 11:36 PM   #13  

Height: 5'1"

Is it 22 carbs for everybody??? What's up with that? Did they decide to give everyone the same amount and maybe change it a tad to make you feel like they develope this for your own profile? Hmmmmm....

I've been eating much better this past week. I've been getting in more veggies. I love veggies.....so that is never a problem. Just need to figure which ones affect me more than others in the "gassy" area!

And my water intake is fabulous. The only thing I truly need to work on....is getting in more exercise. But I'm working on that too. I may not be fully going by this challenge, but I'm definately making better changes.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:44 PM   #14  
Gym'll fix it!!

I'm the other way..exercise is no problem but drinking all my water is but i drink lots of tea I'm happy with how the past 4 days have gone and i'm sure that what i'm doing now will show results without going to the 'challenge' extremes
Old 01-16-2004, 03:36 PM   #15  

Cathy, I know what you mean, 22 g....that is not much! What sickens me though is that for many years I know I have eaten so many more than that (which is why I am here now!) I need to do some research and find some of the low carb items for snack and such. Or forget the carbs at snack and "save" them for the next meal. Hmmmmm. I do want to try out some of their recipes though. Doesn't hurt to try!
I have not really been following their exercise plan either...been doing my own thing. Walking, body ball, water aerobics. I would like to add some strength training in also.

Have a wonderful Friday!
Closed Thread