Old 02-18-2017, 05:47 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #3

Morning everyone. I am up early to get ready so I can go with Jack this morning. I have other errands to run so thought I would just go with him.

I have to find buttons for my hat today and I have to get 20 of them so I hope I can find tiny enough buttons and enough alike so I can finish the owl hat. It fits me perfect, but I hope it isn't too big for my friend.

Jean: I hope you have a great time on the cruise and love it. I am excited for you. I hate flying because everything is a mess anymore. Hopefully going home it will be better.

Everyone have a great weekend.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #2  

Good morning! We are supposed to have a beautiful day today. I probably won't post every day while Jean is on her cruise as my life is pretty dull compared to the two of you, but I will make sure to check in every other day or so.

I got a call yesterday from my oldest sister. My brother is in ICU and failing pretty fast. His heart and pancreas is shot because of diabetes and his wife and children have turned their back on him pretty much. It's a pretty sad story and a good part of it is his own fault. Say a prayer for him if you think about it please. His name is Perry.

I also have a younger sister recuperating from major surgery she had on Thursday. I cannot believe they sent her home the next morning! I was always in the hospital at least 3 days for each of my surgeries. She is doing pretty well.

We are having a Jack and Donna day today. We have nothing we must do so we're just going to spend it together doing nothing. He's going to take me out to lunch but that's about it. I have a hair appt tomorrow and that takes all morning. He is off tomorrow so he can laze around while I'm gone if he likes.

Everyone have a great day and a great week!
Old 02-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #3  

Good morning, ladies! Going to be in the 70s today and all week which is good because I can start walking outside again. Daffodils are blooming! and leaves are budding so I have started back on Flonase today for my allergies.

Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show begins on Wednesday and runs through Sunday. First Thursday Bee was asked to display our quilts again so we are hanging them on Tuesday. Unless there is some wonderful new gadget, I doubt I'll buy anything at the show this year. Maybe some jewelry.

I'm back in the grove with 5 mornings a week at the Y. We also play Canasta from 11:30 to 1:30 on Tuesday and Thursday and Knit on Wednesday.

There is a beautiful egret that has been coming to visit the ducks in the afternoon. Casper likes to watch the ducks but he's afraid of the egret (probably because it's big enough to grab him) and when it comes he runs upstairs meowing all the way.

Donna, that hat is so cute. Stan and I used to enjoy an "us day" every now and then. My life is pretty routine so there isn't a lot to report. I'll pray for your brother and sister.

Jean, I hope you are having a wonderful time on your cruise.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #4  

Good morning. We are having lovely warmer weather but rain today and every bone is feeling it. I had to break down and take some Advil as I hurt so bad. Going to get up and get some cleaning done and hope that will help things feel better.

I had my hair appt yesterday and the young gal who does my hair told me her ex died the week before. He had diabetes and wouldn't take his meds and such. He was only 43, which is my son's age. They have a 13 yr old son and he came with her yesterday and he was so quiet. Bless his heart. He has no siblings either so I am sure it is tough on him.

We are considering getting another puppy. It won't be decided until after we get home from our cruise in Sept. I am waying pros and cons for the puppy mostly. We would be getting another yourky I think though a smaller one so I can carry them easier. We shall see.

Susan: Jack knows how to play canasta though I don't. He hasn't played since he was a young adult though. I love playing cards but would have to bone up on the games I know how to play. I'm probably best at Euchre and Gin. I imagine Casper was frightened by the bird.

Jean: Hope you are having a fun time. You are probably going to be in port today so have fun!

Have a nice week all!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #5  

Good morning ladies! Another day in the high 60s with sunshine and then into the 70s the rest of the week.

No bee tonight since Ken is still staying at Sandy's as he recovers. He was in the ICU for 10 days. He's had a rocky recovery made worse by his continuing to take medication he was told to stop. His blood pressure fell to 70/33 when Sandy got him to the doc. He stopped the medicine on Friday and is now starting to feel better. She loves him but is ready to be by herself again. When you live alone, its hard to have people staying for weeks.

It never rains but it pours at my house. I was washing up yesterday morning and got a phone call. I got dressed while I talked and then noticed the time was late for me to get going and went on to the gym. I thought I had turned the water off in the sink but I didn't get it all the way off. I came home after the gym and some errands to water coming through the kitchen and sunroom ceiling, floor wet, a little patch of carpet got wet and then the bathroom upstairs floor. I got the water cleaned up and turned up the heat and got the fans going. Since yesterday was a holiday, my insurance agent wasn't in. I'm not sure if this is covered or not. Anyway, this morning it doesn't look too bad, mostly the ceiling will need to be painted.

Donna, my knees are really hurting today too and I took some Advil. Hopefully once I get in the water and weight machines they will loosen up. A puppy would be company for you during the day.

Jean, have fun sightseeing!

Maggie, I miss your posts.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #6  

Good morning to you all. Looks a bit gloomy here today but it is nice and mild. I noticed my azaleas have blooms on them.

I got all but the vacuuming and mopping done downstairs yesterday so will try and get that done today. I need to finish the pillow sham for my girlfriend's bday present so I can get everything washed and blocked. Her bday isn't until May but I need to get it done. I do hope she likes the hat I made for her.

Susan: It is very hard to have someone in your home for a long period of time when you are used to living alone. I hope he improves quickly and then can go back to his own home. Hope your knees are feeling better today. I am still stiff and achy, but we are still expecting rain so no surprise. Oh my gosh, I am so sorry about the water thing. We had an issue last year with the upstairs portable ac unit. It had water in it and we didn't know and it didn't drip through the ceiling but made a brown mark. You own a home and it is always something I guess. I left Maggie a message on Facebook, but I guess she doesn't have any kind of internet access anymore.

Everyone have a good day today and enjoy spring weather that is coming.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #7  

Good morning, 57 degrees now and that's supposed to be the high for the day. We got rain yesterday.

Norah, Glory and I are getting together for a sew day today since Glory Bee was cancelled because of the quilt show.

Donna, the arthritis in my knees in rheumatoid and it goes into remission periodically. It's flared since I was sick but yesterday I had much less pain and was able to exercise more vigorously on the strength machines and today they aren't feeling too bad. At least to0day I can sit and not feel anything. Advil is my friend. My hands have rheumatoid and osteo arthritis and hurt all the time but just a little. My neck and back is another story. I saw in the newspaper yesterday Amazon has put banks of storage boxes in the mall and several other locations around town. When you check out, you can opt to have your package but in one of the boxes and they send you a text with how to open it. Good for people who are worried about things being stollen off their doorsteps when they aren't home. You have 3 days to pick up your package or it will be returned. I need to get the ceiling repainted and the carpet cleaned from the water but that isn't as bad as I feared.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #8  

Good morning to everyone. We have some rain moving in and cold temps overnight tonight but then it looks like it will go back up into at least the mid 60's for a couple weeks. It is showing a lot of signs of spring here now.

I haven't heard anymore about my brother as his wife and kids aren't communicating with any of us and the only info we can get is from my cousin and they are not communicating with him either. I do know he doesn't have long to live and that more than likely neither of my sisters will be able to go to the funeral is they have one. My cousin thinks they won't have a service at all. It is kind of a mess.

I want to get some housecleaning finished up today but that is about it. We have commissary and WM shopping this weekend so nothing gets done on those weekends.

Susan: Hope you and the gals had a nice sewing day. I am surprised I don't have rheumatoid arthritis as I was told it is genetic and my dad had it very bad. I also don't have viteligo and my mom and grandfather both had it pretty bad. Neither my kids or my grandkids have it either, which I am thankful for. Glad that shampooing and painting is all you have to do and hopefully your insurance will cover that being done.

Everyone have a great weekend. Jean should be back home by Monday at the latest I would think. Hope she had a good time.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #9  
Web Nana

Donna, Although I have not posted here for a long time I have followed you and the other Steel Magnolias. I noted how much trouble you have with your stairs and I may have a solution for you. Because of my Jack's open heart surgery almost 3 years ago and his ongoing bone on bone arthritis in his right knee we have had a Stannah Stairlift installed in our home. It has been a life saver. I don't know how we would have managed without it. I heartily recommend that you investigate it. They installed in just a couple of hours. Their phone number is 1-800-877-8247. I hope if you are interested in such an item you won't think me pushy by giving you this info. I hope you and your Jack stay well and enjoy your next cruise.
Take care.
Gloria
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:57 AM   #10  

Good morning ladies. Cold here this morning and hopefully it will warm up today and not rain as we got the car washed yesterday.

Sorry I didn't get in here but my cousin called me around 9:15 on Friday night and my brother had just passed away. He is free from sadness and pain and such now, but we three girls are going to miss him. It is up in the air about whether she is going to have a memorial service or not as she is not having a funeral. This was a mess from the beginning so who knows what she is going to do. I hope she does just so people can say goodbye.

Today is commissary day. We went out to WM yesterday and it was nuts as was the restaurant where we had breakfast. I guess just a normal Saturday, but I haven't seen those places that busy in a long time.

Gloria: Thanks so much for the info. We have been considering putting in a stairlift, but don't know how expensive it might be. I don't consider it pushy at all. I appreciate you telling me about it.

Everyone have a great Sunday today!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #11  
Web Nana

Donna, We investigated two stairlift companies and found that Stannah Stairlift, while a bit more expensive, was more reliable and the company was not as pushy as the other. Their service has been great. We have a straight stairway of 13 steps. We decided not to go around the corner from the landing and the last two stairs as that would have put the end right in front of the front door. The decision has worked out as Jack can use his cane to go up the first two stairs from the first floor and then use the lift. We paid about $4500 but the lady up the street has a curved stairway and paid about $10,000. I would move first before paying that amount. Jack calls the stairlift his "Toonerville Trolley".

Our sympathy to you on the loss of your brother. As you said he is no longer suffering. I hope the funeral/memorial situation can be worked out.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #12  

Good afternoon. It was cool and rainy this morning but seems to have warmed up some.

I got a load of laundry done, dishes unloaded and reloaded and the floors swept and mopped. Tonight is the HOA's annual meeting and Jack is going. I would probably just lose my temper so I'll stay home thank you very much. I really want him on the board at some point.

I bought a pair of orthotic sandals that should be here in a couple days. We shall see if they are right for me. I have had issues with others that were supposed to be really comfortable.

Gloria: Thanks for the condolences and the stair lift info. Wow $10,000 sounds like a huge amount but if you need it, you need it I guess.

Hope everyone has a great week.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all. We are having a heck of a storm this morning. I hate it when it rains like this and Jack is going to work. The nuts here don't slow down or are cautious. Nervous me will text him in about 20 minutes to see if he got to work ok. He had to get gas in the rain this morning too and the gas station overhangs drip really badly so hope he didn't get wet.

I went and got my nails done yesterday and this very rude woman using an electric cart sat out in the store and yelled in instead of coming in. She wanted to know when the owner would be in. Well being the owner she comes in when she wants to. This old bag came yelling in about what time and she wanted the gals doing nails to call her and tell her to come in, which they were not about to do. She finally screamed at them, "I can't understand a **** word you say." I had enough and turned around and yelled back at her, "They said she'll probably be in between 10 and 11." She just sat there in the middle of the store blocking traffic until Kim showed up. I bet she doesn't tip either. People like that rarely do.

I found another pair of cute sandals for the cruise and ordered them. I hope they fit and look nice because I am only going to take two pair of dress shoes, and two pairs of sandals and then wear those ugly stretchy shoes I bought in the car when we travel. I am trying to cut down on clothing and shoes this year. We are going to do laundry when we get to Fort Lauderdale and then spend an extra day when we get off the ship in Fort Lauderdale and do up all the laundry so we will only have the clothes we travel back home in. I won't have to much to do when we get home then.

I am going to work on my girlfriend's pillow today and try and make some big progress so I can finish it. I have not worked on it and need to get it done even though I still have plenty of time.

I hope everyone has a nice day today. Jean, hope you guys got back home safe and sound.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:58 AM   #14  

Good morning to you all. I have no clue what today is going to bring. It is quite a bit chillier than it has been lately and we have had a lot of rain the last couple days. It isn't raining at the moment, but who knows.

I don't know what I have planned for today. I have pretty bad nausea this morning and until it settles down I am going to be vegging.

I got my orthotic sandals and really like them so will be keeping them. I am waiting for them to ship the other pair and hopefully I will like them too and I will cut down on the number of shoes I take on the cruise this year.

Jean: I hope you guys got home ok. I am a bit worried since the ship came back I thought last Friday. Maybe you did a 10 days. I don't remember.

Everyone have a good day and look forward to the weekend!
Old 03-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon! We are back home on solid ground once again, and snow. There wasn't supposed to be snow while we were gone but the locals got 10/12"! We still have quite a bit piled up in the yard. We had a wonderful time on the cruise and give me a week, then I'm ready to go again! The two couples we were with made it an extra special vacation. We did a two shore excursions, one guide was a jerk. He had no patience for people who didn't move as fast as he wanted and he ended up with a split group when some lined up for restrooms. I was trying to get on the internet when he kept saying, "let's go, gotta go!" Three couples ended up going to the police for help finding the bus. He didn't count heads at any time so had no clue who was with him. We were supposed to see monkeys and sloths on a boat ride but it was hot and they were hiding. Seeing the terrible living conditions made us thankful for what we have. The ship's staff, food, entertainment, and staterooms were great we thought. Way too many food choices and we felt like all we did was eat.

"Gma," you have my sympathy upon your brother's death. It's never easy no matter what the circumstances. How is your sister? I hope she is feeling better! We were on a ten day cruise, and got off the ship Tuesday. We took our own bags because we didn't know how long it would take to go through customs and to the airport. As it turned out, it was fast and we spent a long time people watching at the airport. Because we bought "cheap" tickets, we supposedly couldn't get seats assigned until we were ready to board. The seats were on our printouts the day before, and of course, not together. From Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta there were three wheelchair people and two babies who got off first. We were at the back of the plane and only had 30 minutes until our next flight. We literally ran from the end of concourse A to almost the end of B, last ones to board that plane. There was another couple from here, sitting in first class, and heckled us about making the plane wait. I didn't think our luggage would make it but it did. Bob can move faster than I can so I don't even try to keep up with him. That airport is a nightmare!

Susan, I'm so sorry about the water overflow! I did that one night when I got up in the middle of the night. Bob happened to hear it running in the sink and got it shut off. I had to laugh at Casper being afraid of the egret. Hope you enjoyed the quilt show, I'm thinking you did. I got a "Hi" text from Maggie just before we left for the cruise. She said she was hanging in there. I had sent an email to her some time ago and she never answered it so maybe she doesn't' have internet.

Hi Gloria, nice to see you again!

I have laundry going so need to change loads. Bob had a runny nose and hacky cough while we were gone, and now I have it. I thought both planes coming home were really dry. Enjoy the rest of the day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote