Old 03-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #16  

Good morning everyone. Looks like a beautiful day here even though it isn't tremendously warm today. All my azaleas are opening up now. I kind of wish she had planted colored ones instead of white though. Kelly put them in when she and Tom lived here.

Doubt I get very much done today other than getting the crocheting sewn around the pillow. I finally finished it. They are in the washer right now.

I am making baked boneless skinless fried chicken for dinner tonight with mashed potato for Jack. I will just get frozen veg out of the freezer for me. Haven't decided which one yet.

I ordered a new phone and it will be here today. I got an Iphone 6. I don't need all the stuff it does, I just needed a bigger phone so the keyboard was bigger to text with some family and friends. We shall see how I like it as it wasn't cheap. Jack said he would do everything for it when he got home tonight. My phone has to be updated first. I also order bifocal sunglasses for the cruise so I can read, etc while in the car or at the pool and such. I have wonderful distance vision but I didn't pay the extra for the close up to be improved so I still have to wear readers and would have to stick my sunglasses over my reading glasses in the car if I was doing something like crocheting or knitting or reading, etc. They will be here today too. The other thing coming today is a tshirt for Jack that has reflective tape and such like the guys out on the highways doing repairs and such wear. They make them wear vests at work and then gave them one puny tshirt. I don't know why as they can't wear the same one everyday. I guess these you wear 50 times than throw away. Jack wanted an orange one so we ordered him one and it will be here today.

Jean: Welcome home and glad you enjoyed the cruise. Sounds like one of the excursions wasn't that pleasant. We had that on our very first cruise. The locals do the excursions so you never know what you are going to get. With ours the speaker was broken in the back of the open air truck so the guy didn't give info about the area and stuff like he was supposed to. It was an awful excursion and people complained so much they gave us our money back. That was on the people who had booked through the ship. If they booked directly they were out of luck. Sounds like the flight home was dicey. Yes, I know Atlanta. We always fly from here to Atlanta when we go to Las Vegas. I make sure our flights if we change give us at least 90 minutes. I would rather hurry up and wait then be stressed trying to make connections. Nowadays, people are so rude and gripe about everything. People in first class think they run the show because they paid more. Glad you are home though and you had fun. You will have to tell us more when you have time. My sister is doing fine. She had to have a catheter for over a week and when they took it out it caused her terrible trouble with her hemorrhoids She is one of those people that have had to have them operated on multiple times. I think they caused her more problems than anything. I imagine she is back to work now. Her husband told me two weeks.

Everyone have a great weekend. I think we are going to go out to the mall tomorrow for a couple hours. I need to get out of the house. I am pretty miffed about my brother's whatever she is (they hadn't lived together for a long time but he never divorced her the idiot,) not even having a memorial service for him. The only thing I could do was put up a post on my timeline for people to share memories of him. I think people thought I would step up and pay for it all, but it was his kids and wife's responsibility for one thing and for another, I don't have that kind of money right now as I just paid off all the cruise stuff and shouldn't have to pay for the whole thing anyway. Ahh well.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #17  

Good Afternoon! It's been a cloudy cold day in my neighborhood, 15 degrees early this morning. I went to get my nails done first thing this morning and then did a couple errands. Another couple loads of laundry are done and put away until warmer weather. I had a luncheon meeting this noon; didn't really feel like going but turned my reservation in before we left on the cruise. I should be thinking about something for supper but I'm not hungry so nothing sounds good right now. My nose ran steady yesterday, and is plugged up today. At least I'm not running a temp nor have the cough/sore throat. We have a concert tomorrow night so hope I have more pep. I did a "dumb" last night and slept in the recliner before going to bed, then tossed and turned trying to get to sleep later.

"Gma," we still have not seen a robin! They always are here for at least one snow storm. I'm ready to see flowers blooming and green grass! I just got a new iPhone simply because my other one was too small to read emails, text, etc., and I was so frustrated with it. The smart phones are so expensive, it's ridiculous! Bob is hanging to his flip phone for dear life! I did get some good pictures on the cruise using my phone. I forgot to tell you there was a young lady on the plane, who had the cutest little dog in a soft sided carrier. It's little head was peeking out and checking everything out. He/she looked like it would be a little dustmop kind of dog, it's furry topknot had a purple ribbon holding it up out of his eyes. I wanted to scratch it's ears at the baggage claim area but she was busy hugging and kissing some guy. Guess they missed each other. I was disappointed that our last port was on Sunday, and most all of the close shops were closed. We were the only ship but know others were planning to shop too. I was able to get the grandkids shirts on the ship, now I'm not even sure if they say Panama Canal or Island Princess. Did your brother live in Indiana? It is too bad his children didn't do some kind of service. We have had a couple deaths in our church this winter, with no service at all, just a burial with family only.

I need to blow my nose again. Enjoy your evening, whatever is on your agenda.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #18  

Good morning everyone! It is going to be a nice day I hope. Right now it is pretty chilly as in the 30's but supposed to warm into the 60's. I am thinking of going to the mall today but have to wait and see on that.

We have a crazy thing with our water system. We have one of those hot water overflow pipes that runs out the back wall of the house. The problem is, it is connected to not only our condo, but the one next door. It started pouring water out of it yesterday while Jack was trying to get my phone up and running. When he finished he got up in the attic and looked at our water heater and couldn't find anything wrong. We have hot water so it is not our water heater, but it is one of those weird things you know? Jack said he will just keep an eye on our "pan."

Jean: I forgot to tell you that if you were in port on Sunday most places would be closed. We have never been in a foreign port on Sunday so we never experienced that. We have 6 months until our cruise and I am getting anxious to go. With my friend's husband's death and my brother dying unexpectedly, well sort of considering his health problems, it has been a lot of stress on me. I am not the oldest, but everyone comes to me. I get the phone calls and all to solve the problems with my oldest sister being in assisted living. It was a lot to handle. I am glad I didn't have a half dozen siblings. Two was enough to keep updated and answer questions and such.
I bought the new phone for the same reason. Some of my family and friends do not have Iphones so I can't text them through my Ipad and my keypad was too small. I can't believe how much we had to pay for this one and it isn't even the newest one out there. It is kind of ridiculous.

Well everyone have a nice Saturday.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #19  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and snow is melting this afternoon. Yay! I've been doing laundry most of the day, finished unpacking my big luggage, and put most everything away. I need to decide what I'm wearing to the concert tonight plus church tomorrow. Then it is back in the groove come Monday.

"Gma," I hope the water pipe doesn't become a problem for you. Makes you wonder who designed the condos in the first place. Hope your trip to the mall was good if you went. I try not to shop on the weekends if I can help it. This town is nuts after noon on Fridays and you take a chance on having an accident with the crazy drivers.

I need to keep moving. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Old 03-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #20  

Good morning to you all. Did any of you get some kind of message in your inbox where it was someone trying to sell you some diet program? I had two of them about 2 minutes apart. I reported it, best I can do.

Jack is leaving in about half an hour or so to go to get his haircut. He has them all on his calendar so they come out perfect before the cruise. He usually gets his hair cut in Fort Lauderdale while we are there.

I saw this video on FB of this car wash that employs 35 of it's 43 employees having autism of some form. The car wash is not too far from Fort Lauderdale so if the weather is nice after we get off the ship I think we will drive up there and get our car washed. I think it is wonderful to give employment to young men and women who might not otherwise be able to find themselves a job. I guess these young men do a fabulous job because they are proud of their work and with autism, routine is everything to them. A car wash is a perfect place for them as they just repeat over and over the same things.

I have washed sheets and dried them, unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, folded towels I didn't get out of the dryer last night and am going to sit and trim the threads on the blanket I made for my friend. I have it all washed now and the ends always seem to need a bit of work when it is done. I need to work on the pillow as I had to rip it all out. I made a big goof on it almost at the bottom and it made the rectangle uneven as I accidently increased a stitch. I decided I would knit one instead as it is faster for me to do with my limited knowledge of crocheting.

Kelly sent me some pictures of Thomas running the Little Rock marathon today. I swear that boy has grown a couple inches every time I see him.

Jean: Jack went to the store yesterday and came back and said there was a hot water heater box sitting on the corner of the garage of our neighbor so guess it was their hot water heater that went on the fritz and when they drained it that is when all the water came splashing out of the pipe onto our deck. I think it was kind of a reckless place to put the pipe as anyone who was sitting on the patio could get burned by the hot water if for some reason it just came shooting out like it does. I think this is the second time they have had it replaced since they have lived there. I know she does a heck of a lot of laundry. Seems like the washer is going all hours. You can hear it through our heating vent and through the wall of our downstairs bathroom. I hate the doing all the laundry when you get home thing. Worst part of the vacation. I decided not to go out yesterday. I have on and off edema in my feet and ankles and it was acting up yesterday. I put on my compression socks, but walking was still a hard time of it. I did some cleaning upstairs instead, which is what I should have done in the first place. Hope you enjoyed the concert. Is Bob feeling any better?

Everyone have a nice Sunday.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #21  

Good Afternoon! We were supposed to have sunshine and "warm" today! No sunshine but the wind is blowing, so the 55 degrees doesn't feel very warm. I got up with a headache and full head of snot so opted out of going to church. I really wanted to hear the bells but didn't feel like getting ready and sitting through the rest of the service. I need to pick up the kitchen and unload the dishwasher from lunch. I made wild rice soup so have the pan to wash. I know there is more laundry waiting in the basement too.

"Gma," I haven't gotten any diet messages, at least not yet. I worked with an autistic student and he was a challenge. He could be so obnoxious with other students; he lived on an acreage and took his parents van to drive to school. He put it in the ditch right away but wouldn't admit he had been driving. I know there are many different levels of autism, and often wondered what happened to him. They moved away before he graduated. It was nice of Kelly to send the photos to you. Ian has been asked to play on a summer basketball team, as well as playing baseball. Basketball games are on Saturdays so he will be a busy guy. The track coach has been calling him to be sure he is planning to run track this year. He told Bob track is so boring but it keeps him in shape. The concert was good last night, a man and woman, with a band, sang a lot of the familiar Nashville country songs. We have another one next Saturday that was "iced out" in January. Hope the pillow turns out the way you want it to this time. Bob is feeling better and has quit the otc meds. Mine seems to be more sinus than anything.

I need to get back to the kitchen! Bob did see two robins this morning! Enjoy the rest of the day!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:19 AM   #22  

Good morning to you all. I woke up at 2 and couldn't go back to sleep so am up early posting. I have to do bill paying later this morning, which is always fun and I want to get some housework done today.

I am starting over with my girlfriend's gift. I need to practice more with crocheting I think. I went to fold up the blanket and it isn't perfectly rectangle either so I set it aside, ordered more yarn in different colors and will do a knitted block blanket for her in shades of summer greens. It will be bright and cheery. Just hope I can get it and the pillow done in time. I am going to have to work fast and long on it. Oh my aching hands.

Jack still has about 45 minutes before he has to get up and get ready for work. His next holiday off is the first week in April as they get the day MLK was shot off. It is in the middle of the week though so it isn't a long weekend. He will get a three day weekend over the Easter holiday.

I saw they finally did an obit for my brother and not on FB like I was told. In fact, a gal my brother went to school with posted it. We three sisters were never even informed about it. That woman and my nieces and nephews are persona non grada to me. They could have informed one of us as things went on and then she in turn could have let the other two know. They didn't care enough to do that so they can forget me sending them checks when they graduate college.

Jean: Hope you get to feeling better. I have been having a lot of trouble already with allergy stuff for spring. I have a headache right now and know it is from allergies as I woke up sneezing this morning. I imagine Ian would think running a marathon would be super boring then! Thomas played soccer when he was real little but running and biking and swimming has always been what he likes. I felt sorry for him it was raining yesterday. Hopefully it slacked off before they started. Ok am I nuts or did you say your cruise was the Panama Canal? Jack really wants to do that cruise, but I don't like the smaller ships. They don't have as much to do. I imagine he will talk me into it sooner or later though. I agree with you about the food. There seems to be stuff to eat all the time. Did you eat your dinner meals in the dining room rather than buffet or other places? Did you enjoy the selections? I know sometimes they can get a bit weird.

Everyone have a very nice week this week.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:35 PM   #23  

Good Afternoon! The thermometer says it is 76 degrees outside! The sun has been playing hide 'n seek with the clouds most of the day. It's very windy with 50 mph gusts and supposed to be worse tonight. I have a meeting tonight so hope nothing bad happens while I'm out and about. Church counting went fine and so did the gift shop. I tracked down the missing credit card info so balanced the bank statement. It seems like every month some piece of information is missing and I have to do a search.

"Gma," we went part way through the Panama Canal and turned around in a lake to come back through. The ships fit so close to the sides that the ship's camera ran a video going through so we could watch the locks open and close. We were pretty close to other ships going through the other way, huge cargo ships. It seemed like every day there were ongoing organized trivia games, bridge, and board games, etc. We spent some time in the library playing cards as did other groups. There was a daily "knitters and natters" group but I never figured out who the natters were. Also a book club met. I would guess there might have been a dozen children on board; one little guy reminded me so much of Jason and Ian with blonde curls and busy. He was probably 18 months old and would wave at people going by, so cute! I was surprised at the number of wheel chairs, walkers, and canes. The food choices were outstanding we thought. My favorite was the fresh bread and rolls every day as well as cookies, cookies, and more cookies. There were some weird looking dishes which I didn't even think twice about passing up. I can do fresh fruits, salads, bread and butter, and cookies to be happy. We did eat in the dining room some nights, buffet some, and then opted for hamburgers and hot dogs one night. I didn't have anything that wasn't very good. I found the omelette corner the second day so enjoyed those too. We managed to keep busy, sometimes just sat on the deck and enjoyed the sunshine depending on the wind. It seemed like it was always time to eat.

The dryer is buzzing so have towels to fold and put away. It's getting really dark all of a sudden, and hail is starting to fall. We just got a tornado watch until 6:00. I hope that isn't what our summer is going to be. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #24  

Good afternoon gals. It rained something fierce this morning. Of course I had to get out in it and get to the store. I got soaked going into WM as I can't carry a purse and my cane and carry an umbrella too. I came out and it was raining and got everything into the car, started the car and it stopped raining! Halfway home the sun was shining and it is overcast again now, but not raining.

Walmart had a bunch of empty shelves and stuff sitting all over the place needing to be stocked. Looked like no one came to work today! Jack wanted some chocolate covered Oreos but the spot where they were supposed to be was completely empty so I had to get him regular ones with extra icing inside. That man has a terrible sweet tooth.

I got my other sandals yesterday and they are super comfortable. I also got the case for my Iphone. It is the Hogwarts letter to Harry. I thought it was cute and it had an inner rubber protector and an out plastic case so I went ahead and bought it.

I am going to have to get going and clean, clean, clean tomorrow as I am behind. I did two loads of laundry and the shopping today so have to buckle down and get the cleaning done tomorrow. I notice the desk is dusty again. I bought a new desk that is glass and I hope works better than this one. I hope Salvation Army will take this one. It is a bit beat up, but really sturdy. Our living room is so weird shaped and without any solid walls that putting stuff in here and then having room is a pain in the behind sometimes. I need to buy a new chair too as my chair won't go up and down and is showing a lot of wear and tear. I am going to get a short backed one this time though as I like them better.

Jean: I enjoy the kids on the ship as long as they're well behaved. In my experience the Asian and Hispanic kids are the bratty ones. The parents let them do whatever they want. I had one kid trip me and the parents looked at me like it was my fault. That's why we go when school is in, but we still get a lot of the foreign kids sometimes. I am hoping the buffet on the ship we are going on in Sept is better than the other two we have been on. The videos I have seen look like they have a better selection. I tend to eat sandwiches, fruit, salads in the buffets. I stay away from the casseroles and the pastas. The pasta gets droopy from sitting there and they have no clue about making American food like mac and cheese. I had some of the worst stuff on our first cruise and swore off any of the hot dishes unless it was plain meat or veggies. When we are traveling we eat breakfast sometimes at this cute little restaurant chain called The Egg and I. They have the best eggs benedict. We usually eat the hotel breakfast offerings, but sometimes just want to go somewhere else and we try to go there if they have one. Jack would seriously love a Panama Canal trip. When he was in the Navy he got to go through the Suez Canal so he wants to do the other one!

Everyone have a nice afternoon. I am off to unload and reload the dishwasher and sit and read until Jack gets home.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #25  

Good Afternoon! The sun has been in and out all day, along with strong winds again today. After the hail yesterday, storm warnings, and a tornado warning, I guess we are in for the gamut for awhile. I made a WM run this morning and delivered the next year's P.E.O. program to the lady who usually rides with me. She doesn't go out at night any more so missed last night's meeting. There is another load of clothes in the washer.

"Gma," our WM has been rearranging shelves again. Things seem to be in the same general area, just switched from one end to the other in aisles. Lots of plastic Easter "junk" right by the front where you go in the store. I'm glad your new sandals are a fit, what brand are they? I need some new ones this summer. Since we didn't have anything to compare with, we thought the food on our ship was very good. We got to tour the kitchen and it would be overwhelming to me to have to work in there. The main chef in charge, and the kitchen/dining assistant, did a program prior to the tour. The chef prepared a dish his way, and the other guy did his his way. It was a hoot to watch.

I need to switch laundry loads and vacuum fur bunnies. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 03-07-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #26  

Good Morning! I'm waiting for the washer to finish a cycle and will move on from there. The kitchen is squeaky clean, for the morning anyway. I have lunch bunch this noon and not sure if Bob will be home for lunch, or not. I'm subbing in a card club tonight, a neighbor is picking me up because I don't know where the hostess lives. I subbed for this group last month so have met some of the other gals. The sun is shining and we are back to windy temperatures in the 30s for the next few days. I still have not seen a robin!

Whatever you are doing today, enjoy your day!
Old 03-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #27  

Good morning everyone! It is supposed to be beautiful today in the mid 70's.

I have a waxing appointment this afternoon. We have WM shopping and commissary shopping to do this weekend. I do always look forward to that.

I got my yarn late last evening but did start the first square and am almost done with it. It has 49 squares so I have to get going on it so I can get it and the pillow done, sewed together, washed and blocked, wrapped and shipped before the middle of May.

Jean: I have seen videos of the kitchens on the ship and it is something else. I know the main chef goes to each kitchen and samples food to make sure the stuff tastes good. Hope you had a fun time at card club. The sandals are Easy Spirit.
Have a great day all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0859.JPG (25.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by gma22; 03-09-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #28  

Good Morning! It's a cloudy morning in my neighborhood, and a cold 30 degrees. Bob is ushering at a funeral this morning as they were expecting over 200 to attend. For whatever reason I feel like I tossed and turned all night so a nap sounds inviting this afternoon. I need to make a grocery list and head that direction soon. Life would be so much simpler if we didn't have to eat! That was the best part of the cruise in my opinion!

"Gma," I know it is still winter and we live in Iowa, but I'd love to have a 70 degree day! But I'd much rather have it stay cold than have some warmer days that tease us into thinking spring might be here. I wore my spring jacket yesterday, not happening today. What color yarn did you choose? Be sure to show us pictures when you are finished, or even before. I really like your sandals! Cute!

I need to get moving and accomplish something this morning. Hope you enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Old 03-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #29  

Good morning to you all. It is quite chilly here today and is going to stay pretty cool for the next few days, especially at night. At least we don't have to worry about snow.

I got my waxing done and paid for another year's worth of appointments. I only have to go about every 8 weeks so I can buy a 6 month plus one free and it last a whole year. I still have one left so I am good to go for awhile. I noticed they have raised their prices, but I save 25% on each service for buying the wax pass. I earn some kind of points too.

I have got to get some work done today. I have had so much trouble the last few days with arthritis in my shoulders I just don't feel like doing anything, but I know I need to work those muscles around the area that hurts. I don't take anything unless I can't handle the pain because there are so many warnings about taking the stuff. I have a load of laundry in the washer and will load the dishwasher with the breakfast stuff when I am through here.

Jean: I posted a picture of the pattern I am making of the blanket and the colors I am doing it in. I couldn't find the colors of this blanket as the yarn and pattern are Canadian. I think the green is very spring and summer looking though. I get so sick of trying to find stuff to fix. I make the same things over and over because Jack is so picky about what he'll eat. He hates most casseroles except for mac and cheese and this chicken and rice thing I make. It is meat and potatoes for him and I get so bored of that.

Well gals, I need to hop to it. Have a great weekend. It is shopping weekend for us. Can't wait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vickis blanket.jpg (46.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg yarn1.jpg (39.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yarn2.jpg (45.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yarn3.jpg (50.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yarn4.jpg (12.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #30  

Good Afternoon! It's a cloudy, windy, cold day in my neighborhood today, 8 degrees early this morning and not warming up a whole lot. We are to get more snow says the weatherman, starting tonight through Sunday or early Monday is a possibility of 8 to 10". I hope that is WRONG! I braved WM and the grocery store this morning then made a quick stop at the gift shop to pick up invoices to pay. I'm sure the grocery stores will be super busy this afternoon. People act like they are never going to eat again when a storm is in the forecast.

"Gma," I went to a salon to learn about permanent eye makeup this afternoon. My eyebrows have gotten really thin and sparse. I didn't know there were so many colors to choose from but knew I didn't want black, red, or gray. My hair used to be fairly dark before it turned gray. The stylist can mix colors but didn't have one she wanted to mix so is going to order it. I'm not sure I have guts enough to do it although I have several friends who have had the procedure done. I saw some spooky looking eyebrows on the cruise ship. I hope your shoulders are feeling better this afternoon. I get stiff just sitting in the car if I don't wiggle around a bit. Now that I think about it I think you did say you chose shades of green for the blanket. It will be very pretty as are all of your creations. Did you find buttons for the hat you were making? I get in a rut and fix the same food over and over. Bob is good about eating the mistakes and never complains. He knows I don't like to cook!

I have laundry in the dryer that should be done so need to check on it. Hope you enjoy the rest of a fantastic Friday!