Old 11-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #20

Good morning ladies! Another sunny day in the 50s.

Glory and I spent Thanksgiving together. We opted for chicken breast, mashed potatoes, collards and green beans. Neither one of us likes turkey.

I'm just about back to my old self and I'm going to the Y for chair yoga tomorrow. I'm going to start slow with just one class a day and gradually get back to my regularly scheduled exercise.

This has been a crazy Fall. There are still a lot of leaves on the trees and we've had some 70 degree days.

I ventured out to the grocery store on Friday. There was hardly no one in the store so I walked slow and took my time. That was the first time I bought groceries since the end of September. Friends have been doing it for me.

Donna, I hope your ankle is better. I'm sure Jack will be glad to go back to work. Has the therapy helped with the shaking in his hand?

Jean, I don't know how you do so much. You are always busy but isn't that a good way to live life.

Have a wonderful day.
Save
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #2  

Good Evening! It has been a dark gloomy day in my corner of the world today. It started misting mid afternoon and the weatherman says rain showers off and on for the next few days. Sunshine makes such a difference even when it's cold. We went to early church, and I have done some laundry or just putzed from one pile to the next this afternoon. I am such a good "pile" person! That is one of my many talents. I have a cat whose "pooper/pee-er" isn't working the best. I tried to coral him and get him in the carrier to go to the vet. He went berserk, growled and bit me like he never has before, then got away from me so we are trying pills. I'm going to see if a tranquilizer might make him calm enough I could get him in the carrier. There's no point in the vet making a house call because he is afraid of everybody.

"Gma," I, too, hope your ankle feels better today. We watched a family ice skating program this afternoon. It was fun to watch the kids skate with their professional skating parents. Scott Hamilton's son is really good for as young as he is. Bob did watch some football though. The game he really wanted to watch, and was supposed to be on, wasn't. So how do you fix your oven fried chicken? I used to buy bone in breasts and melt butter over them. I haven't done that for a long time. I think there is always a soft touch for one's hometown, especially if they lived there through their whole childhood. I have no one left in mine which is sad as I have no reason to go back. I will keep my fingers crossed that your condo report does some good.

Susan, thanks for starting the new thread! I would choose chicken over turkey too! We have leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and I'm going to give it to the outside cats. I just don't like it left over. Going to the grocery store has become my least favorite chore. I'm not good at planning ahead and forget things I need, or buy duplicates I already have. Enjoy your yoga group tomorrow!

Bob thinks it is time for food. I'm thinking popcorn sounds good, and easy. Have a marvelous Monday tomorrow!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #3  

Good afternoon all. I got back from having my hair cut and colored about an hour ago. The winds is horrible and it is raining something fierce. I had to go into Super Target and I got soaked coming and going as I can't hold my purse, my cane and an umbrella all at one time.

I saw this article about this 80 yr old man who cuts and sells wood by the roadside to pay for his wife's medical bills. She died recently I guess but he continues to have to sell it. An 80 yr old man should not have to do this so he can pay cancer bills. Anyway, they set up a gofund account for him so I contributed. Not a huge amount, only $50 but just thinking of someone that age having to do that to pay medical bills made me so sad. I hope he gets enough not just to pay the hospital and such but some left over for him too.
If you can't open your heart at this time of the year then you know.

I have a pot roast with potatoes and carrots in the crockpot and it smells so good. I put in solid stock instead of liquid with water and the tastes is so good. Last time the commissary had the beef stock I bought two of them as they don't always carry it.
They finally got our fridge at the store, but all the people who bought black Friday get their stuff delivered before us, which irks me. We have to wait until Sunday to get it. Grrrr

Susan: Glad you had a nice dinner. We still have a lot of leaves on trees, but with the wind today they are getting blown off for sure. It is cooling off to fall temps here now, but not winter temps yet. Maybe 50 is as low as we'll go this year. I can hope. Glad you are almost back to normal!!

Jean: Am including the recipe. It sounds like it wouldn't work, but it does. I only make it with 4 pieces of chicken. He must feel bad if he bit you. Which one is it? I would have liked to see that skating show. I didn't know Scott Hamilton had younger kids. I thought he was gay. Oops. You could give Jack cake and ice cream for every meal and he would be happy.

Ingredients for Fried Chicken
•2T butter (melted in baking dish)
•2/3 cup Original Bisquick
•1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
•1 1/4 teaspoons salt
•1/4 teaspoon pepper
•3 to 3 1/2-LB whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces

1) Heat oven to 425 F. Place 2T butter in a 9 x13 baking dish and heat it in the oven for 10-15 minutes until melted.

2) Whisk together Bisquick, paprika, salt and pepper; coat chicken. Place skin side down in dish (should be hot and in oven).

3) Bake 35 minutes; turn chicken. Bake about 15 minutes longer or until instant read thermometer is 155-160 or until juices run clear.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! It's another gloomy windy day in my corner of the world. A few snow flurries were seen fluttering around this morning but nothing serious. I ran some errands this morning and have been trying to outsmart Sonny this afternoon. I need to get him in to the vet to have him checked for a UI. I went to get a test kit and am supposed to shut him in the bathroom with a litter box. Ya right. One gal told me to throw a towel around him and stuff him in the carrier. Right now I can't even get close to him after bringing the carrier upstairs again. He is such a spook! It upsets me as much as it does him. We did some Christmas shopping yesterday before Kolby's Christmas program. The teachers got smart this year! The program was held in a large church auditorium and there was a grand finale of all the classes singing together at the end; parents couldn't take their kids and leave after every grade sang. I thought it was so rude to have people leaving between performances, the year Maddy sang there. It was a nice program and just a little over an hour.

"Gma," I hate the wind, and it is usually blowing to some degree around here. Do you know if the Gofundme donations go to the person or directly to pay on the bill? I don't see them often but have seen them, and wondered about that. It was nice of you to donate! The Spook Cat is Sonny, the one who spent almost three weeks at the vet's shortly after we got him -- Bob calls him my million dollar investment even though it wasn't quite that much. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm betting you gave it to me before if I would have gotten off my duff and looked through me recipes.

I need to return some books to the library and stop at a Mary Kay open house on my way home. Hope you enjoy a nice evening!

Last edited by Jean; 11-29-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:14 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon! Another gloomy day in my neighborhood. We had enough snow to cover the ground this morning but now it has melted and sloppy out. This morning I made a WM run to pick up a couple more Christmas gifts plus a quick stop at the grocery store. Cat score is Sonny-2, Bob and I-0. I had him in the carrier first thing this morning by surprising him when he came up from the basement. He went right out the back end because two of the clips weren't fastened tight. Bob got a hold of him later while he was watching squirrels on the deck but lost his grip. Now neither one of us can get close to him. He's still eating and drinking, acts like he feels fine. I'm a wreck but one way or the other have to get him to the vet. I have bell practice later this afternoon and then plan to watch the Christmas programs on tv tonight.

Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 12-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #6  

Good morning, ladies!! 56 degrees and sunshine.

First Thursday Bee is having our Christmas pot luck tonight. I was assigned fruit so that is easy. I have 3 more bee parties and 2 parties at the Y - one for Yoga classes and one for Aquatic classes. One is at Lone Star Steak and the others are potluck. There's also a Exercise Streak Through the Holidays challenge at the Y. You have to do 30 minutes of exercise every day for 30 consecutive days in December. Turn in your sheet on January 2 and get a prize and go into a drawing for 3 big prizes. I signed up for that.

Donna, my friend, Irene, is 86 and still working. She lost all her retirement in that Enron mess. I know you'll be happy to finally get your new refrigerator.

Jean, have you tried putting a treat in Sonny's carrier to see if he'll go in to get it? Casper will jump right in his stroller, but the carrier is another story.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #7  

Good Morning! Another gloomy day, but no rain nor snow so I won't complain. It will be a week tomorrow that Sonny has been not himself. I tried to get him in the carrier Saturday morning, no luck. He headed to the basement with both of us chasing him around the laundry room, him growling like I've never heard him growl, hissing and spitting, huge eyes, fuzzed up, etc. We gave up when we couldn't get to him from behind the washer and dryer. I did get some kitty ex-lax which worked by Monday. He has continued to eat and drink but still had bathroom issues. Yesterday I grabbed him, by surprise, first thing in the morning but the clasp on the end of the larger carrier wasn't latched and he shot out before I could react. Bob managed to grab him later, while Sonny was guarding the deck, but lost his grip and Sonny got loose again. Neither one of us could get close to him for the rest of the day. This morning he was leery about coming up from the basement and went back down so I shut him down there. When I opened the door again, he came up and I think saw the carrier behind me, tried to go back down and I grabbed him. He was one mad cat! I felt bad because he sat in the carrier for two hours before we could go to the vet. Traumatic for all of us!

Susan, what fun to have all of the Christmas parties! I hope you win a prize! You are so dedicated to exercise. I wish we had a Y with senior activities; a Y, period, would be nice. The very first time I took Sonny to the vet, I used the treats in the carrier, and it worked. It hasn't worked since. Even though the previous vet said cats have a three second memory, I don't believe that. I think Sonny remembers being so sick when he spent almost three weeks at the vet's clinic. Maybe not, who knows. He just isn't a people cat.

I need to make a salad for a church dinner tonight. Probably should also be thinking about lunch of some sort. All of the Thanksgiving leftovers are long gone. Hope you enjoy the rest of a terrific Thursday!
Old 12-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #8  

Good afternoon gals. I have been remiss getting in here for a couple days. Between Jack's rehab appointments and my eye doctor stuff and trying to get the house cleaned with a sore ankle and achy knees from the cold rainy weather I just didn't sit down to type it all out.

Like I said on FB I now have 20/15 in each eye. My eye doctor is thrilled about it all. I have one more doctor appointment with her then I am done unless something pops up. I do have a floater in my left eye at the bottom, but she said with my vision I could have had it for years and never noticed it as it isn't dots, or strings or anything just sort of a shadow and I never noticed I until she brought it to my attention.

Jack has one more rehab appointment on Monday then he is done. He goes back to work a week from tomorrow. I actually think he will be glad to have something to do. Whether he thinks so or not I think he is bored. He's never been the kind of guy that just tinkers around the house fixing stuff. I have to remind him when I want something done, usually more than once.

I bought some really pretty new nail polishes for the holidays. They have sparkle in them and though we don't get invited to parties down here, I will wear them through the season and on.

Jean: Glad you were finally able to corral Sonny. I wondered if it might be him as I know he was an outdoor one you caught originally wasn't he? Hope it isn't anything serious. The gofunds I have contributed to in the past all go directly to them, but I make sure they are legit before I donate to them. I go through the newspaper or tv station to find out if it is true before I donate. I will donate to something specific, like one of the guys I went to high school with has a daughter who works at the Indiana School for the Blind and she was trying to raise $100 on their Blessing Tuesday thingy so I gave her $50 so she could be sure and make her goal. Stuff like that. I do have a couple things that are auto every month like Navy Relief. They helped us multiple times when we were in the Navy and are just downright good people. I give to St Judes of course. Speaking of St Judes, Thomas will be running the marathon day after tomorrow for them. He told us he has been running about 20 miles every day. Whoosh!

Susan: My sister is going to have to work until her hands fall off. She isn't going to be able to retire and she is a legal secretary. I am so sorry about your friend. It is truly disgusting that human beings are so greedy as to do that to other human beings. Satan is alive and running around that is for sure. Have fun at all your parties and hoping you win the big prize at the end of the month!!!

Everyone have a great afternoon. I am off to do a bit of reading. I just did a big cleaning job on the bathrooms and I am pooped!
Old 12-02-2016, 11:11 PM   #9  

Good Evening! It's been another gloomy, chilly, "feels like the weather is going to do something" kind of day. Freezing rain was predicted for evening but so far nothing. Well, the spooky cat is back home and has been hiding in the basement ever since. The lab report showed nothing and the vet said it could be stress. Some animals react differently to changes in their lives. I said there is nothing different here so I'm the one stressed trying to get him to the vet. He did poop and pee there so that is good. We did come home with a different food to try. Bob put up the Christmas tree so will see what spooky Sonny thinks about that. I had a Christmas luncheon and gift exchange this noon, then finished out the end of the week paperwork for the gift shop. i will count the money tomorrow and maybe deposit it. Ian is playing football in Wichita, KS, this weekend. They won their first game, 19-8, and play again on Sunday.

"Gma," Sonny is the part Siamese cat I brought in that cost me big bucks when he spent almost three weeks at the vet's with ecoli. He is afraid of everyone which doesn't help. I can't imagine running anywhere, let alone 20 miles! Good for Thomas! I imagine Jack is anxious to get back into the routine of going to work. Bob's farmer friend is having his shoulder surgery next week, so Bob will be on snow duty for the next few weeks.

I have nothing planned for tomorrow, but should bring up the decorations and finish the tree. Church on Sunday, then the busy days resume. Hope you enjoy a nice weekend!
Old 12-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #10  

Good evening everyone. I was busy, busy today trying to get the house cleaned, laundry, etc done. I finally found time to get upstairs and take a shower a couple hours ago. They are going to deliver the fridge supposedly tomorrow though we haven't heard anything more since the guy called us last week and said they would deliver in the morning tomorrow.

It has rained here all day so I imagine muddy boots, muddy cart and leaves all over tomorrow. We turned the water off to the fridge but it is still leaking inside the fridge so we have no idea. It is making a lot of noise when it runs too so am glad we are finally going to get the new one. Guess I will be doing the floors and carpet over after they leave tomorrow.

Jack is watching the Alabama-Florida game and I am just going to crash in the recliner when I am done here. I balanced the checkbook and made up an envelope to send back a receipt for the insurance payment to the eye place. I have never had to sign a credit card receipt and send it back before. Pain in the butt since it doesn't go back to the place I had my eye surgery done.

Jean: Hopefully Sonny will recoup and feel back to normal. Cats are so much harder to handle than dogs when they are sick I think. Congrats to Ian and his team. Thomas finished the marathon with his dad in the rain today and he was all smiles in a photo Kelly texted me. We aren't putting up any decorations this year. No one can see them back or front unless they are put outside the house then would probably get stolen and no one comes here during the holiday season so I saw no point. With things the way they are with the family Christmas isn't going to be anything for us this year.

Everyone have a good day and weekend.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #11  

Good Evening! It's been a crappy day here, in more ways than one. There has been sloppy wet snow falling off and on all day, but melting as soon as it hits the ground. Sonny just wasn't himself after coming home, never came upstairs with Ernie this morning, layed with his head on the water bowl and ended up tipping it over. I called the vet and we took him back out, never tried to fight going in the carrier this time. Why they didn't do bloodwork when they had him the first time, I don't know. The vet called and his kidneys are failing so there is no fixing. It won't be the same without him around, he was my "talker" and always by my feet. So that's been my day.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all. It has rained for two days now and is raining right now. We called the store this morning about our fridge and it is on the delivery schedule for this morning thank goodness.

I have a gift card with $73 left on it for Outback so we are just going there for dinner tonight. I didn't get anything out to cook as I wasn't sure about the whole delivery thing.

Jack is sitting with the heating pad on his hand to warm it up to do it hand exercises. He only has one more rehab, tomorrow then he goes back to work on Friday. His left hand still shakes a lot, but they are convinced that it will quit once the hand gets back to normal. I have my misgivings about that.

Jean: I am so very sorry about Sonny. That is what happened to Butterscotch. He was fine then just quit eating and started losing weight really rapidly. I was convinced I did something to cause it and was guilty for a couple years until I was told it happens to cats a lot for some reason. I know you are going to miss him as will his buddy.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! The sun has finally come out of hiding so that makes it a better day! It's only 37 degrees outside so feels good to stay inside. Bob found the little tree we put on the deck so is finished with the outside lights. I could easily leave the rest of the decorations packed away and call it good. I do like our new tree; it is 7' but not as big around as the one we pitched last year. There weren't many in church this morning. The children's program was second service so I'm sure there will be a crowd there. My gift shop payroll deduction amount didn't match what the accountant sent me for a deposit. In checking her list I have names she doesn't and varying amounts for others. I really don't have time to meet with her tomorrow as I have a Christmas luncheon/meeting at noon.

"Gma," I hope your refrigerator has been delivered, works, and everything you hoped for. Thank you for your Sonny sympathy. I can't help but wonder if it would have made a difference if I could have gotten Sonny to the vet a week earlier. Looking back his behavior had changed a bit. He would crawl up in Bob's lap and fall sound asleep. Being such a spook, any noise would have him looking around and ready to run but he would sleep right through. He was my talker and always by my feet. Ernie acts like he is looking for him and follows me more than he usually does.

I need to get some clothes in the dryer and start another load. I should get started on a Christmas "to do" list since the kids will be here. I have quite a few things and could start wrapping but that doesn't interest me right now. Hope you enjoy the rest of the day!

Last edited by Jean; 12-04-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #14  

Good morning. Jack left about half an hour ago to go to his last rehab and the guys showed up right before he left to installed the waterline for the ice maker. Long story and pretty aggravating, but there were no veg and fruit drawers, the idiots didn't bring the new waterline yesterday and we got crap from the asst manager on the phone so I insisted we go out there. We dealt with another gal and she got everything straightened out for us and they refunded us the cost of the waterline. We now have a working new fridge except for the bins and it will take 2 weeks for them to come in.

I am not going to do anything until Jack gets home. We have to bleed the line of about 2 gallons of water and then throw out the first two batches of ice so he can help me do that and move all the frozen food into the fridge freezer from our chest freezer.

Jean: I didn't notice anything with Butterscotch until I noticed he was much thinner and then he quit eating all together. My vet said when a cat's kidneys go there is nothing you can do about it and it isn't unusual for it to happen, especially since he was born out in the wild somewhere and could have contracted anything. He was only 2 years old when he died. Hope you had a nice luncheon. I have to get going and get Jackson's stuff wrapped so I can ship it to him. Time seems to be racing along.

Everyone have a good week!
Old 12-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #15  

Talking

Good Afternoon! It's been another cold windy day in my neighborhood today. Wind chill is supposed to be below 0 later in the week. We had an $8000+ deposit today so it took me longer than usual to do my part. Stopped by the hospital to drop off checks and visit with the accountant about the discrepancy between her figures and mine. She sent me the wrong list, so an easy fix. Whew! I had a noon luncheon meeting and we sat around and visited after the Santa's Castle program. Bob is at church for practice, the dryer and dishwasher are both doing their jobs.

"Gma," your refrigerator snafu sounds typical; it makes you wonder if anyone does their job 100% any more, or takes any pride in what they do. A gal working in Bob's office used to work in a vet's office and she told him cats and kidneys don't get along very well. I have a friend who was at the meeting today and her husband is a vet. She said it most likely wouldn't have made any difference, but the vet should have worked on Sonny the day we took him in, knowing how long we had been trying to catch him. Plus she should have done the blood work when she finally did the urinalysis. He was a happy cat with lots of love so I have to keep reminding myself of that. Ernie has started following me around and seems to be looking for more attention. Don't remind me of time racing along!

The dryer is buzzing so time to change loads. Hope you enjoy your evening and have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!