Old 04-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #16  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining brightly but the wind is blowing so it's a jacket kind of day. Counting went ok except I was $1.00 off at church. When I double checked everything, the account number for the kids' Sunday School didn't work so dumped the whole entry. I didn't count the gift shop until this afternoon because of a noon luncheon. I've got towels in the dryer and another load washing so I have accomplished something today.

"Gma," hope your favorite Cubs have a winning season this year. I hope your sister will be ok and that whatever the problem, can be fixed. Bob ate my card club leftovers as usual. I had terrible cards but we had a good time.

Maggie, how long will you be gone when you go to Kansas? I'm glad you are having such nice weather.

I hear the dryer buzzing so need to fold towels and put them away. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your marvelous Monday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #17  

Good morning to you all. Going to be beautiful again today. It was sunny and got into the upper 70's yesterday but we are expecting rain again tomorrow and cooler temps for a couple days.

Well, the old car is gone and they even paid us for it, which we didn't ask for. We just wanted it gone. We never got the garage blown out of leaves and it took a long time to go out and get the car business settled. I sat in the car with the windows open and the radio on enjoying the beautiful day while he got it all finished.

I got my nails and toes polished and in the hour I was in there not a soul came in. They had 5 people working and the couple that owns it demands they not sit around but always work so they were cleaning the whole time. The one owner up and left I guess because they weren't busy. He started my nails, but thank goodness the young man that is the best they have finished me up. The man owner does a lousy job.

I am going to do half the downstairs this morning I think. I stayed up and watched the whole Cubs game, which didn't get over until midnight as they were in CA. They won 9-0 and looked great so am hoping it is an indication of things to come.

Jay and family are in Mexico this week seeing her dad. I posted a picture on FB of Jackson. He sure is growing. I only see him a couple times a year so he changes a lot.

Maggie: Hope you enjoy seeing your friends.

Jean: I did a load of laundry yesterday. I seem to always be doing laundry and it is just the two of us. I have to wash Jack's work t-shirts, but his uniforms are laundered by a service. Ahh well, it isn't hard work. I'd rather do that than dust. I hate to dust. :lol;

Have a nice Tuesday. I hear the birds already going at it this morning.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #18  

Good morning, ladies! Yesterday it was 75 and today its 37 with an expected high of 43. Springtime in VA. Back into the 60s after tomorrow.

Hip is still hurting but I use my cane and keep on going. Glory, Norah and I got together for a sew day yesterday. I am blessed to have such good friends.

Donna, I know you'll be happy to have the garage done at last. Pollen covers everything here. I was going to get the car washed but decided to wait awhile longer. At least the sun is shinning. We got the rain storm you had. The Belviq was a tool to get you started and I'm confident now you can do without it and keep on going down.

Jean, I'm trying to decide if I want to let my hair grow out more or go back to my short, spiky summer do. I just watched Jersey Boys again Saturday. It's amazing that he's 80 and still touring so much.

Maggie, I talk to Casper all the time and he is deaf! He does stare at me when I'm talking so maybe he can read lips. I take some courses on Coursera (free) to keep my mind busy and learn something new. I also get audiobooks from the library. I download them directly to my Kindle so I don't even have to go there. And of course I always have a quilting project or three going. We have an active senior center here with crafts, lectures, games etc. and everyone has a great time. It's a good way to meet new people. I, too, had a gem of a husband and will never remarry.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #19  
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Here is a list you might enjoy that I found in a Healthy Living for a Lifetime book by The Editors of FC&A Medical Publishing.

Send a friendly e-mail to a friend.
Read an inspirational quote and share it with someone.
Smile.
Say thank you to someone.
Give your mother, father, sister, or brother a call.
Ask a friend to join you for a healthy dinner.
Hug someone you love.
Don’t nag.
Laugh out loud.
Go to bed one hour earlier than usual.
Put your favorite music on and sing.
Declutter one spot in your home or office.
Say no to one thing that compromises your personal goals.
Turn off the news.
Sit outside.
Play with a pet.
Light a scented candle.
Ay a prayer for someone.
Write down one positive thing about your day.
Let go of a grudge.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-11-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #20  

Good Afternoon! We've had some clouds, some sunshine, a few rain drops, and strong winds today. It is cold outside! I've been putzing around the house all day and can't really say I've accomplished anything except vacuuming the never ending fur. Sonny should be bald!

"Gma," my nail salon hasn't raised their prices in the five years I have been going there. Some days I am the only one in there but some days they are super busy. I pay $18.19 for a fill. I don't know if they own the building but it was new a couple years ago, with all new chairs and equipment. The owners are Asian with three young children and have made two trips to Vietnam in the last two years. Bob wonders if there is a "behind the scenes" business going on. I've never seen anything suspicious but I try to be the first one in the door. Dusting is a waste of time imo.

Susan, I hope your hip feels better very soon! I've been going to the same hair stylist for so many years I don't quite know how to tell her I'm going to try someone else. Any suggestions? She really did an awful job this time; never follows my requests. Bob had to even up the back neckline for me. He thinks she should keep her glasses on all the time!

Maggie, that is quite a list with lots of good suggestions there. Will you be able to pick up your doll making supplies while you are in Kansas?

I need to dream up something for supper. Bob suggested pizza and that does sound good. Enjoy the rest of a terrific Tuesday!
Old 04-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #21  

Good morning to you all. It is supposed to rain today so of course I have to go out in it. I have a waxing appointment this afternoon.

I never got a thing done yesterday, but that's ok. I spent a lot of time knitting on my afghan and reading. I developed a sinus style headache late in the afternoon though and had to stop. Darn pollen!! I don't have issues like Susan, but spring is miserable for me sneezing all the time mostly. It isn't bad enough to pay for shots and such though. I take OTC stuff when I need to.

They raped and pillaged our garbage last night before the men come today. The next door lady came and ask if she could have the high chair and we said to take anything she wanted. So Jack went out this morning and there were several things gone. I am glad as I would rather someone take them and use them. The charity places don't want things that need to be repaired so we have to junk them.

I talked to the lady across the street over the weekend. She tossed her drunk husband out a few months ago and we aren't sure where he is living. I know he shows up from time to time on the side street and tries to get Jack to give him money. The liquor store is across the street so Jack says he has no cash. He offers to buy him bbq, which is across the street too, but of course he never wants that. Anyway, she said she was moving and she moved over the weekend. Heaven knows what or who we will get in there next. I think the landlords are going to have to do work though. I noticed the blinds and such were all torn up. She had several kids too and they were small so there may be crayons and such on walls. They were pretty impish. She was a nice lady, but half the time I couldn't understand a word she said. She had a thick southern black accent and I would miss half of it. I would nod most of the time. We shall see.

Susan: I have been off the stuff several days and notice no difference so I am thinking all my hormone issues could have been the problem. I started on this stuff before I had surgery. I am not feeling like I am ravenously hungry anymore. I eat my three meals and limit myself to one or two snacks. If I eat two, one had to be either yogurt or a piece or bowl of fruit. I eat sf pudding sometimes if I am craving chocolate or a tbl of dark chocolate of some kind. I eat those little baked goldfish crackers and I have different flavors of baby bel cheese. Mostly I have to fight what I call the "I want a snack but am not hungry" syndrome. I have learned to really feel if I am hungry or not and then ignore it if I am not hungry. I quit worrying about how much now since I don't have a target to follow and just lose as I lose. It may take quite awhile, but it is the best way for me I think.

Maggie: Thanks for the info.

Jean: Our nail salon owners are Vietnamese too. It is a husband and wife and when I started going there the kids were kindergarten age and now are in high school. The boy is Thomas's age. They have a young man who has a 4 yr old that works there, a lady that just got married about a year ago, a very young girl who can do nail polishing and things like that but nothing else and a lady who has two young children and her husband is Hispanic so she can speak 3 languages. I asked her once which language she thinks in and she said whichever one she is talking in. I guess I didn't get my point across. They are all Vietnamese. As for the hair stylist, glad you asked Susan. I am a coward and would just stop going to her, but if you run into her in town or whatever that would definitely not be the solution. When Jack retires I am going to have to just go to my gal to get my hair cut because I am not going to pay $162 every couple months to keep up the color and such, which is what the charge and tip is. I will have to face facts I am old and let it grow out.

Everyone have a great day. I need to check my blood sugar and get breakfast.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #22  

I got down to 29 degrees last night but it headed for 60 today, only 45 right now. Sunny day.

Yesterday was Trooper Chad Dermyer's funeral. I posted a video of the procession on Facebook. There were 3,500 attending the funeral, some were police and troopers from 25 states other than VA. The procession came within 2 miles of my house so when I saw on tv that the procession was leaving I went and stood with many others to show my respect. People lined the entire 21 miles from the church to the cemetary, except on the Coleman Bridge. The procession was led by 250 motorcyle patrolmen in a column of 2. Route 17, one of the 4 roads off the peninsula, was closed for 1-1/2 hours for it to pass. Fire Stations on the route had there ladder trucks at the street with flags flying and most of the people had flags too. It was very moving.

I'm going to get a haircut today. Tonya has cut my hair for several years and she is the best. She always listens to what I want or makes suggestions. And it costs $10 on Wednesdays. Then I have an appointment with my RA doc. He is in a practice that does arthritis and sports medicine so I'll probably see my hip doc in passing. It seems to be better until I start walking (LOL) and then it hurts again. At least I slept through the night last night without the pain waking me up - instead the cold did,

Donna, its great you can garage both cars now. Pollen is so thick now, I pray for rain to keep it settled. I wore a mask yesterday. I can't believe how big your grandson is! It seems like yesterday you were waiting for him to be born.

Jean, it does sound like you need a new hairdresser. I'm not good at fixing my hair so I'd be lost if I went to her. Are you going to a different salon or a different stylist in the same salon? I'd not tell her anything. If the same salon, make an appointment on her day off.

Maggie, Thanks for the list. Be safe on your travels.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #23  

Good Morning! It's rainy, windy, cold, and icky here today so that's that. I decided I would try to get online with our new bank, more to be sure that the automatic deposits and withdrawals are working before we close accounts at the previous bank. Would you believe the SD man got our latest statements plus letters from the new bank? Poor guy still isn't getting the right address on his own account. Anyhow, I had to call the help number; they had redone the website and a box I needed to check was misplaced in the fine print. I have ironing to do and the last bell practice later this afternoon.

"Gma," sounds like your day yesterday was more enjoyable than cleaning! I've had that same headache off and on for a week. I blame the weather! I hope you get some nice new neighbors across the street. I started turning gray quite young, and decided it was too expensive and too much trouble to do the coloring. I figure "what you see is what you get." I have had a few people ask where I get it colored or the color name.

Susan, your weather is crazy too! I didn't see the tribute to the trooper on FB; I will have to look for it. We had two Des Moines police officers and a prisoner killed on the interstate by a guy going the wrong way. He was killed too. Thousands attended both funerals, one was a young mother and the other a Hispanic officer who worked with youth trying to be a role model for them. So sad! It happened around midnight and I sure don't know why they would be transporting from Omaha to Des Moines the time of night. The prisoner was a drug addicted mother of four. My hairdresser owns her shop and has it in her home. I started going to her when Beth was a baby, almost 38 years ago. I rarely see her other than at her shop.

Not much else is newsy today. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!

Last edited by Jean; 04-06-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #24  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

[ ="6"] GOOD DAY IN APRIL MAGNOLIAS [/size]

It is a beautiful day here but the wind is blowing a bit but that’s quite OK with me for it keeps the air clean.

I got some bills paid today for I found out how much we had in the bank. There probably are a few more that need to be taken care of but I will have to wait until they contact me and let me know what is owed to them. I’ll see how it all works out. Some of the items I am sure have already been paid. I had gotten a book that I didn’t want and sent it back but got a bill for it so I wrote them a note that I had sent it back. I’ll see what happens with that one. I wasn’t the bill payer so I am learning what is what now. What an experience it is. I may or may not be in trouble with them.

JEAN We will leave on a Saturday and come back on a Monday.

Have a great day Magnolias.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-06-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #25  

Good morning to you all. Gonna be sunny today but boy we got a heck of a short storm just as I came out of the waxing place. I got soaked walking to the car and a charm on my Pandora bracelet got stuck on my cane somehow and broke off as I was trying to get myself, handbag and cane into the car
. I will have to look at it this morning to see if I can fix it or not. It is brand new. I bought it on the ship at Thanksgiving.

Tomorrow is hair day thank goodness. My roots have grown out and my hair enough to make it difficult to deal with. You would think with it being short it wouldn't ever be a problem, but I have a horrible cowlick on my right side in the back and when my hair grows out I can't control it at all.

Another 6#'s down since my doctor appointment so I think getting off the drug was the thing to do. I am not having the hunger issues I used to and have no need for this drug. I can think of a lot of places to use the money.

Susan: They did the same thing for an officer killed in the Indianapolis area. They had thousands turn out. It is sad people just kill the men and women who protect us from some stupid, misguided, illogical race reason. Hope the rain helps with your pollen. I know I was miserable yesterday and had a headache again this morning.

Maggie: Be safe when you go.

Jean: I didn't say yesterday, but a fill is $13. If I get a fill and my toes polished it is $24, which includes the tip. I had someone recently tell me they loved my orange hair. I told him it was fading as I had a hair appointment this week that it is usually much more coppery. He was obviously gay and clapped his hands and said, "I love it." It was something like that.

Hope everyone has a good day today.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #26  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing and I put on a sweatshirt this morning! I thought I would get in here last night when we got home from Maddy's concert but obviously I didn't. We usually go out for ice cream after a game or concert but last night Maddy asked if we could go to Perkins. The concert was almost an hour and a half and it seemed like the restaurant took longer than usual so it was almost 11 when we got home. I was tired! We did some birthday shopping before the concert and stopped at SAMs. We didn't need anything but always pick up cat litter and bottled water. Our membership is due in May which I forgot, and the checker never asked, which they usually do. So will have to make a stop there next week when we are there for soccer games.

Maggie, we have had strong winds for several days now. Sioux City was just as bad yesterday. I hope the weather shapes up by next Tuesday when Maddy and Kolby each have their first soccer game. Otherwise I will be wearing my winter woolies and wrapped in a blanket. I'm glad you are getting your financial situation figured out. You will have a fast trip to Kansa but I know you are looking forward to it.

"Gma," I hope you were able to fix your bracelet. on another great loss! I didn't realize the drug was so expensive. There was an obviously gay young man working in a restaurant the other evening. I'm sure he is in high school because all he did was bring nonalcoholic drinks to tables and clear tables after people left. He was polite but kind of creepy too. Beth has pointed gays out when we have been together and I am so dense so had no clue. She works with a guy who married his partner (both white) and they adopted four or five black children. Two are brother and sister, and a third is mildly special needs. Bob and I met them at a soccer game last year and I never would have guessed. Tmi! Good luck with your hair today!

I have laundry to fold and could vacuum again today. Hope you all are enjoying a nice day!

Last edited by Jean; 04-08-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:39 AM   #27  

Good morning to you all. Sunny day here though a bit chilly at the moment. We have already been out and about to WM to get things the commissary doesn't have then tomorrow is commissary day.

I bought some of those new Sargento cheese cubes and nuts and fruit thing. They are 5 points, but for me it would be a nice lunch with maybe some yogurt.

I have to say I am not sure if I had to do it again whether I would go on the Belviq. The withdrawal is pretty bad. It is getting better, but I am still having headaches all the time and on and off queasiness. I think they need to warn people and I have to call the pharmacy to tell them I quit it and when I do I plan on telling them about the withdrawal. I am doing perfectly fine without it though. Not having that ravenous hunger I used to have that's for sure. It is all about not eating just because I want it, but eating because I am hungry.

Jean: Bracelet was an easy fix. My little anchor came off and I was afraid I might have snapped the welded on "o" ring, but when it caught it just pulled it open so it fell off. I just took a pair of needle nose pliars and closed it back up. We had a lot of wind here this week too. It is pretty calm this morning.

Everyone have a great weekend.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #28  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, the wind isn't blowing quite so hard, and it's warming up from 21 degrees early this morning. Bob took the heater out of the bird bath and poor little finches were trying to get a drink. I went to Walgreens for toothpaste this morning because WM didn't have what I bought there before, and WG didn't have it either.

"Gma," you are brave to go to WM on a Saturday! We just got home from a fund raiser at church for the kids. Some crafters set up tables and there was a sloppy joe lunch. A retired custodian from school knits and crochets so likes to have a table at area craft shows. This time she had pot holders she made using flannel backing, stitched in rows, and then snipped on the back side. Hard to describe but they are nice. I bought a pig for Beth, a lighthouse for Amanda, and a cat one for me. Now if I can remember to wrap them for their birthdays. I wonder if you would cut down on the Belviq you would have side effects. I know that one has to do that with some prescriptions. Hope they are gone soon! I'm glad you were able to fix your bracelet.

I need to get busy and vacuum fur bunnies. The Boss movie is showing here and I would like to go tonight. I play bells tomorrow and we also have a 50th anniversary in Bob's hometown. The guys were in high school and Vietnam together; the wife and I went to Hawaii together in 1969 for R & R. Hope you all enjoy a nice day today!

Last edited by Jean; 04-09-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #29  

Good morning to you all. It is chilly here this morning but by afternoon we are supposed to be near 80 and I will sure take that.

I am a little queasy this morning and always dread going anywhere when I am like this, but need to get the commissary shopping done. We leave in about 45 minutes so maybe it will settle down.

I have a hair appointment on Tuesday afternoon as I wasn't feeling well to go last Friday and had to cancel. My hair needs a lot of love.

Jean: Brrr that is still pretty cold. We have turned off our furnace for the year and hopefully won't have to turn it back on until late in the year. I am going to be stubborn about it. I did succumb to wearing jeans instead of capris to the store this morning though I am going to wear sandals. Everything I have been able to find about Belviq withdrawals all say the same thing. I guess because it involves the serotonin. Maybe that is why the symptoms, who knows? I know I am ok with losing weight now without it so I am not going back on it. Sounds like the little reunion would be fun. Hope you all have a nice time.

Have a great day today!
Old 04-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #30  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and it has warmed up to 52 degrees! I am relieved to be done with bells this morning;major stress for me this time. I didn't screw up but didn't feel very confident either. The high school kids had the service today so it was short and sweet. I had to pick up the offering and get it locked up in the office. The office is always locked so I had to wait for the Sunday School gal to get there and let me in. We are leaving soon for the anniversary party and will pick up our friend over there to go with us. She lost her husband almost two years ago and hates to go to these things alone.

"Gma," the other night at the concert, there were students in sundresses and sandals (Maddy being one) but several adults were also in sandals and capris. It was in the high 30s and so windy I was cold in long sleeves, shoes and socks, plus my jacket. Walking across the parking lot to the school was awful! Maddy admitted being cold afterwards when we were eating. Hope you feel better SOON!

I need to change clothes and get ready to leave. Enjoy the rest of a super Sunday!

Last edited by Jean; 04-10-2016 at 01:36 PM.