Old 03-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #6

Good Morning! It is a gloomy wet day in my neighborhood this morning. There is NO wind blowing, not even a breeze. I ran a couple errands and now have the vacuum and fur bunnies waiting for me. I have bell practice later this afternoon.

"Gma," what a scary thing to happen at Jack's work place! I'm glad nothing was broken but can imagine his hands are sore just doing daily routine things. In Iowa the wife can have all of the husband's social security if it is more than her's but not both. Enjoy your new patio set!

Maggie, would it be possible to get a copy of Will's service to share with us? I hope you get your bank statement soon so you know what the money situation is. I would think you could call or visit the bank to get faster service than the USPS.

I need to get the vacuum revved up and get that done before lunch. Hope you all enjoy a nice day.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:14 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Default Wonderful Wednesday

GOOD DAY IN MARCH MAGNOLIAS

It is hard to believe this month is almost over with. April is a special month for me all these years because when I was in high school (many years ago) I was chosen Girl of the Month in April and I have a medallion to wear. It is silver oval with Girl of the month on it and my name engraved in the middle. I still have it on a long silver chain and wear it in April each year. Rather a tradition for me owning that month and wearing that around my neck.

I have not much going for me this day. Tomorrow will be the service for Will so that will be a different story all together. Thank you all for being with me with this all.

JEAN I'll do that if I can. The bank will send it in the mail tomorrow I think.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:10 AM   #3  

Good morning to you all. We had a gully washer last night. It seems to be stopped and hopefully it is all we are going to get. It is nice and warm and going to be in the 70's.

I have all the house cleaned and both the new smoke detectors are in. I have the things straightened up that I want straightened and I am going to knit, knit, knit today.

I am sitting here and see myself in my makeup mirror that sits on the desk. I am glad I am going a week from Friday to get my hair done. I can see my white roots! I should have made it sooner I think.

Jean: I think we got your rain. That's interesting. I am just going by the lady at the SS administration. It would be nice if Jack passed and I could get the whole thing. I never worked long enough to have much of a benefit. Hope you are moving into spring temperatures.

Maggie: Praying for you tomorrow.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:56 AM   #4  

Good morning, ladies! 63 degrees and sunshine, heading for the 70's today.

I have bursitis in my right hip. Doc put me on prescription NSAID and said it will take a week or two for it to get better.

I can hardly believe 3 months of this year are already gone. Time goes so fast! The trees are leafing out now and my bird feeders are busy places. My yard man has begun cutting the grass so I'd say Spring if flourishing in VA. As usual for us, one day it's hot and the next is cold. How to dress is the question. At least I've turned the heat off.

Donna, poor Jack! I hope they heal up quickly. Our rain pattern has been following yours so I guess we have rain in store for tomorrow.

Jean, I don't think I could bear snow this late in the year. I see you are busy as always.

Maggie, here is the SS website with survivor benefit info https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou5.html and you can get anywhere from all of his SS down to 0. Because my SS is more than Stan's, I don't get anything. As you will see, Social Security is a federal program and has nothing to do with the state you live in. You will need to call the office nearest you to get the ball rolling. Usually the funeral home will notify SS of the death and the death benefit will be mailed to you (very small, around $300 when Stan died). I'll will go to Mass tomorrow and say prayers for Will. I know this is so hard.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:11 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Funeral Day Speech

GOOD LAST DAY IN MARCH MAGNOLIAS

There was a good service for Will today and then a meal afterwards. They had given a good speech about how Will was a wonderful man and preacher for years and covered some of his background and gave a good picture of what he was all about during the years he was a preacher. I had a good time listening to some of the wonderful things he did in his lifetime especially while we were married all those years. The people here are wonderful to me. Wills ashes have been sent to the folks in CA who will spread them up in the mountains by the cabin.

I will start wearing that silver medallion that I got when I was in High School for being a Sophomore as Girl of the Month in April which has my name on it. I like to wear it every April on a long silver chain. Will always liked the idea that I got it and so now I can wear it in his memory. I love Pieces of April.

My hostess nurse lady was just here going through my meds to see when she can get them refilled for me and also the vitamins that I take. These folks are so good to me. She brought me 8 boxes of the Kleenex when she came in to search through my meds to see what I need refilled. Like I said they are good to me.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:51 PM   #6  

Good Evening! It's been a very strange weather kind of day. We got up to rain and wind, the sun came out for a couple hours around noon, then dark clouds rolled in and the temperature has been dropping steadily. It's been raining all evening. The weatherman has warned a "wintry mix" is on the way. I spent the morning having coffee and catching up with a friend. This afternoon I made banana bread with bananas that were too ripe to eat even though they were green when I bought them a couple days ago.

Maggie, I've been thinking of you today. How many years were you and Will married?

"Gma," our grass has turned green and the flowers were coming up before the last snow dumped on them. Our temperatures have ranged from the 20s to the 60s in the last few weeks.

Susan, I hope your hip feels better soon! I've heard bursitis is painful. One thing about snow this time of year is that it doen't last long. It's just going through the sloppy streets stage, and having a dirty car is a pain.

It's about time to catch the news and then head to bed. I'm getting a perm tomorrow morning. Hope you all enjoy a a nice day tomorrow!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #7  

Good afternoon ladies. I sat here this morning and started to post and had to go to the bathroom. Since I hadn't had breakfast I fixed it first and closed it out on the PC figuring I would do it on my Ipad today as my knee is really giving me fits so I needed to get it up. Well, I forgot all about you all.

I have been working on my knitting. I have done 5 1/2 patterns plus the border so I only have 65 more to go and then the opposite border. It is called a waffle stitch afghan and I really like it. I am going to have to order more yarn though as I made it bigger than the pattern called for. It will be wide enough, just not long enough so increased it to 60" instead of 40."

I just ordered myself an inexpensive new pair of glasses to wear when I have to take out my contacts. They changed insurers so I can no longer go to the lady I have been going to for years. I will either have to pay for the exam or change doctors. I decided to just pay for the exam. I am going to need cataract surgery in the new future anyhow. My right eye is getting worse since last August.

We are going to work more on the garage tomorrow. We have a lot of paint cans we need to dispose of and the waste disposal is open tomorrow until one so Jack is going to take them over there so we need to get them off the shelf and into boxes and into the Mariner tomorrow early. I also have more stuff to haul to the trash and finally they are coming Monday to pick up that darn car. They are taking it off our hands for free so I can't gripe.

Susan: Jack had bursitis when he was in the Navy and it pops up every once in awhile. I know it causes him a huge amount of pain because you feel like if you can just sit the right way the pay will go away, but it doesn't.
I saw yesterday I finally have tiny leaf buds on the tree. My azaleas are going to town though.

Maggie: Hope you have a nice weekend.

Jean: Have you ever put chocolate chips in your banana bread? It is good that way too. I get the sugar free ones or get the tiny little bitty ones. Sounds like you are in for more cool weather.

You gals have a great weekend. Monday is the day MLK was shot so Jack gets the day off so he has a three day weekend. I have a lot for him to do though.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon! It was 33 degrees this morning when I went outside to feed the squirrels! The never ending wind was blowing so I know the wind chill was even colder. I wish the weather God would remember it is now spring and shape up! I went for a perm first thing this morning. You would think after almost 38 years she would notice which side I "swoop" my bangs to. I just come home and do it over anyway. I've been picking up the clutter and doing laundry this afternoon.

"Gma," your afghan sounds very nice! It sounds like you have a busy weekend planned. I have never put chocolate chips in banana bread but I have seen them in different recipes. I always put chopped walnuts in mine. I am going to a Mary Kay open house tomorrow morning. I like to try new shades of blush rather than pick one out of a catalog. My favorite color has been discontinued. and so many have sparkles in them, which I sure don't need. Tomorrow night is the Neil Diamond concert and Sunday we are going to see the Broadway cast of Jersey Boys! I am really excited about that! They are in Sioux City and Bob surprised me with tickets saying "Happy Mother's Day!"

I need to fold towels and keep moving. Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Last edited by Jean; 04-01-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #9  

Good morning to you all. Very cool this morning as it didn't get anywhere near what it was supposed to yesterday and just kept falling. It is low 40's right now so going to be chilly to go out and work in the garage.

After we get paint cans hauled away and stuff dragged to the corner for the trash guys, I have to come in and clean up and go to Krogers. We have several things we are out of including bananas, which I eat every day. I hate going to grocery stores on Saturday and especially beginning of the month in this town when everyone seems to have the welfare money for the month.

Jean: Oooh I am green with jealousy. I love Neil Diamond and have been dying to go to the Jersey Boys show because Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons are my very favorite group, but neither one comes to Memphis. I guess they can't sell out here. We get the black singers mostly and people I wouldn't be caught dead paying to listen to. They've had bands like Dave Matthews, but they are more my kids era. The Memphis in May Beale street festival always draws a band or singer I would happily see, but the crowds are horrendous, nothing but porta potties that are always full and on the river at the park which is at the bottom of the bluff. You can't park anywhere near nor can Jack drive and drop me off then go park. So, we don't go. Maybe if we were 30 years younger. There are 4 stages or tents you can go to so there is music going non stop until very very late. Paul Simon, Sheryl Crow, Neil Young (Crosby Stills Nash and Young in the 60's) and Los Lobos are some of the big names this year that I recognize.. Jerry Lee Lewis used to perform every year until he got too old to do it anymore. I know Johnny Cash came a couple times. Most of the bands/singers are blues music as that is what is famous here. Have a fabulous time for me!!!

Everyone have a good weekend.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Nice News

GOOD DAY IN APRIL MAGNOLIAS

I am so lonely right now I talk to my dog. The folks here have gone for the day so it can’t be them right now to talk to. I just have to tough it out. Even if I lived in their house they would be gone and I would be felt the same. Like I said before these folks are being real nice to me and helping me out. I can look around inside this MH and see things I need to get done so I will get busy with it this afternoon. There are many things in the storage building that need to be delt with also that I need to make decisions on to sell, keep, or give away.

We got a notice from the church out in CA that they are going to have a service for Will so the man here will go out there with me. It is on the 17th of this month so we will leave on the 16th and it will be great to see all my friends there that I talk to on the phone.

JEAN Will and I were married a little over for 30 years. I doubt if I get married again for who he is wouldn’t measure up to what I had with Will and that wouldn’t be fair thinking on my part anyway.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-02-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #11  

Good morning to you all. Going to be a great day weather wise here today. It started off chilly yesterday but warmed up nicely.

Jack got all the leftover paint hauled to the waste place. They took everything but one empty can. They wouldn't take it. We only included it because we weren't sure they would take it through the trash, but we came home and put it in a black trash bag and stuck it in our trash can.

Today is clean out the garage day. I am getting rid of a bunch of stuff we should have gotten rid of a long time ago. I have a stroller and a high chair for a couple things, a very old computer chair that was left by Tom and Kelly, an exercise machine that was given to us by a guy Jack worked with that is just weird to work on, an old boxed up Christmas tree that you can no longer see the paint on the end of the branches so you can't put it together correctly and a bunch of other stuff. Jack is going to put out the new bbq grill.

I noticed yesterday the pollen all over my new patio glass table. Spring is here folks and a miserable time for people with allergies.

I got into a pair of blue jeans yesterday I haven't been able to wear in years. The legs are pretty baggy even but then I have been buying those stretch skinny jeans, which fit better. I have decided to quit taking the Belviq and powering on by myself. Frankly, though we can afford it, I would like to use that $250 a month elsewhere. I believe I can continue without it. I have to call the pharmacy and tell them I am quitting it.

Maggie: It is hard to be newly alone. I know it will get better but give it time. Keep yourself busy with things you enjoy not just chores. One thing is try not to depend too much on the family there for entertainment, companionship and such as each time they aren't available you will sink into mild depression. Maybe join a senior center or something where you can have an outlet for more friends.

Everyone have a great day. I am off to unload the dishwasher and fold a load of clothing as soon as it is done.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Sunday and Sunny

It is a beautiful day here and I have my windows open and a fan going. We had a good day at church and they announced when we are going to the church in Hays KS for their presentation of Will’s good by speech by the preacher there. It will be so nice to see my friends there once again so I am looking forward to it.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #13  

Good evening! This weekend flew by fast, must have been the strong winds! Saturday morning I went to an open house hosted by a friend who is a Mary Kay distributor. I don't buy much but do like their eye makeup remover. It's always fun to see the new items. Two concerts two days in a row and both the wonderful music from the 60s era. I've done a load of laundry since being home and am done "working" for the day. I have a P.E.O. Luncheon at noon tomorrow so Bob is on his own for lunch.

"Gma," it was 82 degrees in Sioux City this afternoon, but they had the same winds we have here. The birdbath has had a thin layer of ice each morning since Bob removed the heater last week. I need to clarify what I said about the Neil Diamond concert. It was a father and two sons performing a tribute to ND. They included a couple favorite Johnny Cash songs and one of Buddy Holly's hits. They were very good and I would go see them again. The Jersey Boys was excellent and a true Broadway production. They had remote control microphones that were mounted on boards and rolled out however many were needed for a song. Also a remote controlled drum platform that whizzed the drummer from place to place. I was glad we had seen the movie so could follow the story line. We sat in the balcony and I think I would have preferred the main floor but the tickets there were twice as much. They travel with eight semi trucks for all of their props, costumes, and supplies. Bob just looked them up on his iPad and they have a show scheduled in Washington D. C. on April 6; they will have to hustle! You and Jack really had a productive weekend in the garage! Wish you lived close enough to help me clear out the excess stuff around here. Good luck in going without the Belviq -- you can do it!

Maggie, I talk to Ernie and Sonny all the time. Sonny talks back sometimes. I think having a pet is good company, but not the same as a mate for sure. I know you will enjoy seeing your Kansas friends again. It's so nice that your host neighbor can go with you.

The dishwasher is finished doing the dishes so I should unload it. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening. April is moving along and soccer games start Saturday in Sioux Falls, then on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays in Sioux City. Both kids play on Tuesdays in SC so we will go then.

Last edited by Jean; 04-03-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:03 AM   #14  

Good morning to you all. Going to be a lovely day here today so I am going and getting my nails and toes done.

The guy is going to pick up the old car this morning and we got most of the stuff we wanted to get rid of out of the garage and things hung back up and such. Next Saturday we will finish it up. Jack's going to blow out the leaves once the old car is gone before he pulls in the Mariner. We did find an almost new pair of jumper cables in the trunk of the car when we cleaned it out.

Today is opening day for the Cubs. I am excited to see what they are going to do this year. We watched a few of the spring training games, but they play a lot of minor leagers so it doesn't really give you a good idea of how the major league team as a whole are going to do.

Please pray for my sister. She was rushed to the hospital yesterday because she was slurring her words and confused. Her BP was outrageously high and they think she had another stroke. The EMT's did a stroke test and said no, but as of last night her daughter said she was still out of it and slurring her words. She does have a serious urine infection and an infection in her stomach, both of which could be fatal.

Jean: I used to talk to Fortune and Butterscotch all the time. B ignored me, but Fortune acted like he was interested. Some of the tribute groups are very good. The Beatles group that performs in Branson is so spot on that if you had a blindfold on and didn't know, you would swear it was them. It was personally put together by George Harrison's sister. I believe the group is called "Liverpool Legends." I have seen some great Elvis impersonators too. I never ask how did your card club lunch go?

Have a good start to the week this week.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

It is a beautiful day here and I have my windows open and a fan going. We had a good day at church yesterday and they announced when we are going to the church in Hays KS for their presentation of Will’s good by speech by the preacher there. It will be so nice to see my friends there once again so I am looking forward to it.

I totally forgot to weigh last Mon so I did today and I lost 9.3 pounds in the two weeks so divided between them it comes to 4.6 which is still a good loss for each week.

I sure hope you Magnolias have a wonderful day this beautiful day at least here.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-04-2016 at 12:38 PM.