Old 03-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #5

Good morning to you all. We are going out around 7:30 to get breakfast and run some errands than come back with it all and start to work on some stuff that needs to be done. Jack needs to put up the new smoke detectors and shampoo the carpets. I want him to put the shelving units we get today together so I can clean up the pantry area or at least get a good start on it.

It is going to be chilly here today and most of the weekend it looks like so it is back to jeans and shoes I guess. I am going to go upstairs in a bit after Jack is up and get a long sleeved sweater to wear today.

I have to mail the boys Easter cards today. I gave Thomas money and I just got Jackson a game stop gift card so he can get video games or whatever.

Maggie: Grieving is a long process and it is stressful having to do what you need to do right now. Just take your time and don't make hasty decisions.

Jean: Sounds like you are going to be a chef this weekend. Good luck with all the food. I know it has to be a peace of mind to have a back up to your electricity and such. I saw one of the ladies from Storm Lake on FB saying you got snow yesterday??? Supposedly we are going to have above normal and much above normal for spring and summer this year.

Everyone have a good Saturday,
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #2  

Good morning, ladies! 46 degrees right now. It's been nice and warm for days but the next 4 days are only in the low 50s and then right back to the 70s.

Just been doing my usual trips to the Y, quilting bees, and tea with Irene and Glory. Some ladies at the Y invited me to join there Canasta group and that is a lot of fun. We play Tuesday and Thursday from 11:30-1:30 in the lounge area at the Y. Once a month we all go out to lunch.

Donna, I need to shampoo my carpets too. I was waiting for the wet weather to be over so probably next month. I got an Omron electronic tens pain therapy device at Target for my back. http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=o...ectrotherapy_s (the silver one). It's the best thing I've found for my lower back pain and I also use it on my wrist and knees. The pads last about 4 months and then you buy new pads. It might help your painful knees, too. I have those pull down stairs to the attic, too and it is all floored up there - that's also where the gas furnace is. I need to go up there and throw out anything that is still there.

Jean, I hope Spring comes early for you. It sure did here. Your cake sounds good. I saw Girl Scouts selling cookies in fromt of Kroger last weekend and they now have one that is Gluten Free - at $5 a box. The $1 store is next door and they have gluten free cookies for $1. I made a donation to the Scouts and didn't get any cookes at either place.

Gail, I hope your shot doesn't keep you down. Our quilt guild project for July to December is to make lap quilts for the chemo patients.

Maggie, you have my deepest sympathy. I sort of know what you are going through. Stan died May 4, 2008 and I can hardly believe its so long already. Don't make any major decisions, such as moving, for at least a year. Stan wanted to be cremated and I still have his urn on my dresser. Every morning I tell him my plans for the day and every evening I tell him how the day went and any concerns. I pray for him. My trust is in God and he provides for my needs. I'll pray for you, too. Will is with God and looking out for you.

Have a blessed day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Back At Ya

GOOD DAY IN MARCH MAGNOLIAS

I am so lonesome it is hard to get through this unexpected event that was so powerful on my life. I need someone to talk to when I am all alone with my dog who is missing Will a lot also. It is so hard to keep from crying sometimes. I am grateful for the phone calls I have been getting to get me focused on more positive things. My brother and his wife live out in Oregon and just called and we had a nice chat. He has a huge 4 bedroom house and you can imagine what he offered me again.

I got some important things done today re:Will. I have a br in law that was married to one of my sisters that died that has agreed to take Wills ashes up to our cabin up in the Sequois in CA and scatter them along with his daughter going with him. There are several of our relatives that have been scattered including my sisters and my daughters up there. The folks here at the center will mail the ashes out to them. His cremation date is set for next Wed the 23rd.

Thanks for all your nice thoughts and what you posted to me.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-19-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! Along with laundry, and the usual Saturday chores, I am working on food for card club Monday night. I am making the spinach dip recipe that is on the dry Knorr soup package and it takes forever to get the spinach dry enough. It is the one thing I make and no one else in the group does. Have the makings for a sweet Crispix mix and the pickles, dried beef, and cream cheese for that appetizer. Will have veggies to do Monday, bring up the card table and chairs from the basement, then think I'm good to go.

"Gma," thank you for starting a new thread! I guess we did have snow flurries yesterday. Bob saw them but I didn't. We've had snow showers this morning off and on. If I look close it does look like fat raindrops. The wind is blowing pretty good which is the norm.

Susan, you have a busy schedule! I'm like you, I need to throw everything out in the extra bedroom, then start in the basement! Bob would be a happy camper, me not so much.

Maggie, It's good that you had a nice visit with your brother. It is hard when family lives so far away. Since I am an only child, my relatives were/are all within a couple hours except for one cousin who moved to California many years ago. Bob's brothers are in Arizona and Montana so we don't see them often. I'm glad your brother-in-law will take care of Will's ashes.

The dryer just buzzed so I need to keep moving. Hope you all enjoy a nice relaxing day!

Last edited by Jean; 03-19-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #5  

Happy First Day of Spring, Ladies! 41 degrees and overcast.

Nothing much happening today - laundry and vacuum. I wish it would warm. My nose is running and I'm sure its allergies and not a cold. They haven't started putting the pollen count in the newspaper yet but its out there with the blooms on the trees, spring flower, leaves and grass.

Jean, I would love to live in a tiny house if I had the money to buy it furnished and ready to move into. Need to buy a lottery ticket! I'm just over all the cleaning. We have Glory Bee on Thursday and its covered dish so maybe I'll make that spinach dip. We always have too much food and I end up with an upset stomach from trying a little of everything that is gluten free.

Maggie, my heart goes out to you. If you feel like crying, just let it out. It's part of the grief process. Are there any grief support groups you could go to? I have audiobooks on all the time if the tv isn't on. I think its jjust hearing another voice. And then I talk to my deaf cat. Were you able to get all you stuff from Kansas? Maybe starting a doll would give you a bit of respite. After I die and am cremated, my ashes will be mixed with Stan's and then placed in a niche at church. It's good you have people calling you. One of the hardest things for me has been cooking.

Hi, Donna and Gail!

Have a wonderful day.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! Been to church, fixed pickle/cream cheese/dried beef bites for tomorrow night card club, and have a load of laundry in the dryer. Sitting down for a few minutes before deciding what's on the lunch menu. Bob is grilling pork chops for a starter.

Susan, the few snow flurries accumulated next to our lawn and garden building, but none on the street nor yard. It's back to winter coats but supposed to warm up next week again. More crazy weather to go along with the goofy political scene! I like the idea of keeping some of a loved one's ashes. We need to pick someplace to be "planted" before the time comes. I seem to have way too many leftovers; Bob is good about eating them but I think they leave a lot to be desired.

My resting time is up and I need to keep moving. Enjoy the rest or your day!

Last edited by Jean; 03-20-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Sunday and Sunny

It has so far been a nicer day for me for I went to church and was taken by my hosts here on their property, which do belong to the same church I do. Anyway they took me out to lunch and as usual paid for my meal. I brought half of it home so they actually paid for two meals for me.

A fellow at church who is a ranch owner also approached me earlier after services and said he had a nice valuable book about building saddles Will had loaned him. I told him he could keep the book if he liked it. He said it was a real valuable good book. So I said then it was his to keep it. He came back and handed me $100 dollar bill and said it was really worth it to him and please take this payment for it. Also my hosts brother wants to buy all of Will’s saddle building tools. I told him he could look it at it all and give me what it is worth so he can set the price. Seems like some things are happening quickly which is good. I have a brother in law out in CA that told me to call him any hour in the day or night and he would be happy to talk with me in these hard times.

I am going to get through this with help from my positive knowable folks but it is still hard.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all. It is very chilly here this morning and I have to be in and out in it today.

Sorry I wasn't in here this weekend but we have been super busy. We went out and bought two tier commercial racks and a new tv stand. Jack put those all together this weekend. We then put one rack in the kitchen, put all my small appliances on it as well as the microwave and the bottom rack holds our shoes we use everyday. The other rack is going into what will become the pantry and we are cleaning a bunch of stuff out today for pickup from the Salvation army. I am getting rid of an entertainment center, bakers rack, treadmill, table and chairs, vacuum and electric floor mop, keurig coffee maker (Jack's old one,) a sandwich maker I thought I would love but used it once, a printer, 2 older tvs, a small bookcase that rotates, and a boom box type thing that still works great but I haven't used it since I worked at the law firm.

We bought a cute patio set with an umbrella and it should be here in a couple days. I got it on sale for $99 and the umbrella was $40. We can get our new bbq out now and bbq more this summer and sit outside and eat. I was going through stuff to pitch and to shelve and found masses of chinet plates and cups and napkins and plastic ware. We could have a party for a 100 people though they don't all match. We can use them this year when we bbq without using dishes.

Susan: I am going to look into that machine you are using. I am desperate as the rain and then chilly weather makes my knee ache so much. I have to get down to 250 before they will operate and I have quite aways to go yet. I would love to learn to play Canasta and have people to play with. Jack knows how to play, but I never knew anyone who played the game. I miss playing Euchre a lot and I used to know how to play double deck pinochle, which is what the sailors play and is how I learned.

Maggie: Just one step at a time, one day at a time and so one. Unless you have to hurry about something just don't. Do it when you are ready to tackle something and feel up to it.

Jean: Your appetizer sounds good. I have heard of it but without the pickles. Jack can be buried in any national cemetery for free and they will bury the spouse too, but they bury the spouse on top of him. If I go first he would have to pay for a plot. I told him I was sorry if he went first because I would always be squishing him. I hope you have fun with card club.

Time to get back to work carrying out stuff to the deck for SA. Have a good day.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #9  

Happy Monday! Taking a few minutes before starting my next project. I think my food is set to go and whatever I forgot to do . . . . . "oh well!" We had bright sun this morning but it looks like it is clouding over. Counting took longer this morning, over $10,000 deposit which we needed. People who collect change for Lent turned that in and each person gets their credit so we can't use the coin counter.

Maggie, it's nice that Will's leather tools and book can go to someone who will use and appreciate them. I hope each day will be a little better for you.

"Gma," you have been a busy gal. I'm sure it feels good to get rid of the "stuff" you no longer use or want. You inspire me to do likewise, now to just do it! We have a cemetery lot that we inherited from a relative, but would have to use a flat stone. I like the stones that are bigger and stand up. I'd like to have one ready to go and hope we won't need it for a long time. The little country cemetery I like is close to Bob's hometown and fairly close to Beth. Decisions!

I need to keep moving! Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 03-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Good News

Another day with challenges. Since the water heater quit working a man was here to fix it or put in new parts. He did get the gas flowing to my stove top so now I have burners instead of doing everything in the microwave. They didn’t quit working on it for now the pilot light stays on so I guessed it needed parts to fix that big problem. Good thing is that the host man is going to pay for this for now it is fixed.

I got another stronger invitation from my bro in law to come live with him in his multi bedroom house. It sure is tempting to do that after all is settled here with the cremation and things for I know those people out there and they want me to come. Good thing the host here will take me out there ~ not everything but just some things to keep me occupied like my doll making stuff and some other things I want to keep in the back of his pickup. I can drive my car out there. My bro in law couldn’t come out here and help me move for he has multi appointments that needs his attention. This host here can take out there with what I want to take in the back of his pick up for I am not taking enough to rent a trailer. He has agreed to sell this MH and other things for me and send me the money. I am not real sure yet if I will go there for these folks are so nice and will take care of me when I am very old. I have to give it more time to really think it through.

I have read your posts.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-21-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:12 AM   #11  

Good morning to you all. Chilly and a bit brisk this morning but we are supposed to have loads of sun and should warm up later. I will be glad when we are back into the 70's.

I hope the SA people come this morning and I can get rid of all this stuff. My patio set is being delivered on Thursday afternoon so I hope I don't get stuck at the doctor's too long. This appointment is just to get my bp meds adjusted or changed so hopefully it won't take too long.

I should get my cable for my circular needle today so I can start on my afghan. I have all the yarn balled and ready to go. I need something to keep me busy.

Jack has been having a lot of trouble with his hand hurting all the time. I imagine it won't be too long and he will have to go out on sick leave and get it fixed.

Jean: Sounds like you are all set. Ugh, I would hate to have to count all that change. I think it is amusing people want to make sure all their donations are counted. I guess for tax purposes, but we never claimed our charitable and church giving. I don't know just seems to me like you want something back for giving so we never did it. Hope you warm up again soon.

Have a good one. I am off to start work on the pantry room now that everything is moved out of it and I have lots of room to start developing it.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #12  

Good Morning! It's cloudy, but not windy, and a "nice" 50 degrees. We are on the very edge of the winter mix advisory for tomorrow. I've washed the serving dishes from last night and the dishwasher is doing the rest. I need to go to the vet's office for diet food, and then shop for a shower gift.

Maggie, you are so lucky that your host can pay your repair bills. Does your bil live in an area you are familiar with so that you know what to expect if you move there? As I said before, you have big challenging decisions to make.

"Gma," how long would it take Jack to recuperate from hand surgery? I've forgotten, but is it carpal tunnel? I'm sure the prospect of surgery is nerve wracking for him. Since Bob gets charged double for social security, his accountant said to keep track of everything for tax purposes. Have fun arranging your pantry items.

I need to unload the dishwasher and round up a load of laundry to get started. Enjoy a terrific Tuesday!

Last edited by Jean; 03-22-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Another Day in a Quandry

I am at a quandary. I am not sure if I should stay here or go to CA. There are pluses and minuses about both places. I was advised to wait for a couple months to make a decision. Sounds right to me that way all the finances would be settled down. I am thankful that the folks here are dealing with SS that Will had coming in that way I can sign the papers and not have to do all the talking to them. If anything has to be paid back so be it.

Tomorrow is the day which Will will be cremated and I think I will turn my back for I really don’t want to see him that way ~ putting that last sight of him on this earth in my mind. I’ll see him in the hear after but that will be totally different for sure.

I am back later for more to say ~ I am very lonesome it is hard to bear.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-22-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #14  

Good morning, ladies! A nice spring day in the 70s in today's forecast.

Allergies are making me miserable. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with spring.

Maggie, if you can don't make any decision about moving for several months. Could you go out to your brother's for an extended stay - a month - and get a feel for how it would be living there. I'm sure things have changed in the years you have been gone. Would the cost of living be more out there?

Donna, Do you have a fan on your deck? It gets too humid here for me to be outside so George Foreman and I grill on the counter. Your afghan will be beautiful.

Jean, could you post the recipe for your appetizer? It sounds good.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:29 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all. Cloudy and overcast here and supposed to start raining again tonight, but supposed to be in the 70's today.

All of the stuff is gone. We had to pay someone to come and get the tvs because they are old analog types. Cost us $100!!. Even the electronic disposal for the city wouldn't take them. I neatened up the pantry so it looks great now and ready for more shelving units.

I am tackling some stuff upstairs today, cleaning up my handbag area as I have to many, my shoes, then hanging clothing up and dusting. Tomorrow I have a dr appointment and they deliver the patio set. We are going to do grocery shopping on Friday since Jack has it off and shampoo the carpets and put up the new smoke detectors this weekend and I am going to finish the housecleaning.

Casting on my afghan today. I did my test swatch last night. I have to cast on 226 stitches so it will take awhile.

Maggie: I think Susan has a great idea actually. Maybe you could just fly out there and stay a month or so and come home and then make your decision. Prays for you today for Will's service.

Jean: Jack needs 8-12 weeks for recovery of either the knee or hand. He has to have a thumb joint replaced. It will wipe out his sick time almost so he has to decide between the two right now. I think he should get his hand fixed but of course I am leaving it up to him.

Susan: No, but we could easily bring a fan out if we needed to. We have a big old shade tree that helps with heat in the backyard too. I hope your allergies let up. Since the trees have been flowering I noticed my sneezing and such have been worse. The south does love flowering trees and we sure have them, dogwoods, magnolias, tulip trees, red buds you name it we have them here. My azaleas are half bloomed now too.

Everyone have a great day. I need to get started on my day.