Old 02-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias ~ #2

GOOD AFTERNOON IN FEBRUARY MAGNOLIAS

Howdy folks ~ I don’t have much to say but I thought I would start us a new thread.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-29-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #2  

Default Steel Magnolias - #2

What a challenge to get in and post! At this rate I won't be here very often. I don't appreciate Jenny Craig ads on my posts either!

Last edited by Jean; 02-20-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #3  

Good afternoon gals. Boy this has been one crazy week. I just want things to settle down so I can get back into a routine.

We left early Wednesday morning and drove to the hotel we were going to stay at, which was out in the middle of nowhere IMO. The hotel was nice and clean and breakfast was ok. I found a small restaurant and we had lunch/dinner combo because the viewing was 6-8 and knew we would never get dinner as we needed to be there early. Wow, what a great little country restaurant. They had lunch specials every day and for $7.19, you got a choice of about 10 different entry things to choose from, 2 veg, a yummy broccoli salad, roll and a brownie. It only cost us $20 for both of us. The viewing was pretty hard on Jack and me. She didn't look like my aunt at all and they had a big screen tv that rolled photos of her through it. That struck me hard. We didn't know anyone except the family and they were tied up greeting people so we just sat until it was over. The funeral was the next day, but her husband wanted to come over to their house so we did and sat and talked with him and my bil (who is her son.) The funeral was nice but I have to giggle at the fact they had all really twangy country songs on for the music. They were nice songs, but no hymns. The pastor did a nice job and I am telling you the family alone made up the first 12 cars. She had 8 children, something like 30 grandchildren, 30 great grandchildren and 12 great great grandchildren. I think the procession was about 30 cars long or so at least. They had a lunch at the sr center afterwards and it was nice country style food. We went back to the hotel after because by that time I wasn't feeling too hot. We came home the next morning. We got up early and went and got some groceries as we didn't do the commissary last weekend because we were over there.

I have a pharmacy appointment and a regular doctor appointment and then a week from Monday a gyn appointment. I had to reschedule all these from last week.

Jean: It is about a 5 hour drive over there. These are real country folks as they say. Everyone wore jeans to the viewing and to the funeral. A lot of cowboy boots and hats, etc. Here were Jack and I dressed up and in a black suit and a tie and I had on black slacks and top because all my dresses were too big. My pants were two sizes two big so I had to roll the band up to keep them on, but it was all I had. We kind of stuck out! :lol Sorry about all the trouble you had with the website. Wonder what it was?

I am going to go in and fix a pot of chili for dinner. Hope you have a nice afternoon and evening.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #4  

Good Evening! I don't get the "normal" page I had bookmarked as a favorite, but a huge page listing all of the different subjects. My iPad isn't remembering my name and password for some reason so have to jump through more hoops to get in here to post. A pain to say the least. Bob ordered pineapples to be shipped home on our last day in Maui and they came yesterday. We delivered Beth's this afternoon. Jason was supposed to meet us there but canceled at the last minute so guess he doesn't get one this time.

Maggie, glad you checked in so we know you are ok. How is Will?

"Gma," it's good you are home safely. Funerals are never fun but I'm glad you were able to go. Sounds like you have a busy appointment schedule coming up.

I need to iron Bob's shirt for church tomorrow and decide what I am going to wear so better get that done. Hope you all enjoy a relaxing Sunday.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all. It is comfortable this morning so not cold and not hot. I do have the fan running in the living room as it is a bit stuffy and we have big picture windows that can't be opened in here.

I have to get upstairs in a minute and put all the clothes away from the trip. I have a lot of cleaning to do this week and later this morning we are going to Lowes and get a couple bathroom faucets and attic stairs and replace them.

We had chili last night and Jack had a grilled cheese with his. He won't eat chili with beans so I always have to put mine in my bowl and put the chili over them. I put a lot of beans in so I definitely have chili with beans. We are going to have chicken cordon bleu tonight with mashed potatoes though I will have a salad instead. I can buy them by the box and one is only 6 pts and they go in the oven not fried. They are pretty good.

Jean: Enjoy your pineapples! I bought a bunch of fruit yesterday at Fresh Market. Jack says Krogers is buying them out. I hope that doesn't mean they'll go to crap because they are a great place to shop for higher quality stuff and specialty items. I bought "heirloom" oranges whatever they are yesterday as I didn't see the regular navel oranges. I have heard of heirloom tomatoes not oranges so I hope the darn things are good because they were expensive. I wonder what is going on with your Ipad for the site. Strange.

Gotta get upstairs and get things put away. Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #6  

Good morning, ladies! 56 degrees heading for 68 today and sunshine so I'll be outside walking today.

My lawn man came yesterday and cleaned up from the winter and took out the hedges from in front of my house. I am going to put in hydranges and some green stuff. He also trimmed the tree so it isn't too close to the house. That's a sure sign of spring when he comes.

The big Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival starts Wednesday night and runs through Sunday. My First Thursday Bee is having a special exhibit and I'll be helping to hang that on Tuesday afternoon. So much fun!

Donna, funerals are a lot more casual than when I was young. More and more around here visitation is an hour or two before the funeral and that is it.

Jean, sorry you are having troubles. I've had none. Have you downloaded any updates to your IPad?

Hi Maggie!

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #7  

Good Morning! We got up to huge lazy snowflakes falling and NO wind; it's a storybook Christmas Eve kind of snow. The trees are beautiful, and it's warm enough that it melts as soon as it lands on the cement. We've been to early church, not many there today. On the way home the message "recalibrate the compass" appeared on my car. Then it said to drive in circles to do so. We have an undeveloped cul-de-sac in our neighborhood so we drove in circles there, hoping no one saw us. Same message appeared again so guess it means a trip to the dealership next week. I've read the paper and am enjoying a second cup of coffee. I need to pick up the gift shop paper clutter and put the books away for another week. I noticed some fur bunnies lurking so will vacuum after lunch.

Maggie, I think the worst part of being gone is putting things away afterwards. I still have a pile of capris and summer shirts to put back in the basement totes. I found several things I didn't wear last year that could go to the SOS Store. Now to get it done! I just saw where Walgreens and Rite Aid are combining, plus CVS bought the Target pharmacy business. We don't have Rite Aid nor CVS anywhere close so don't think it will affect us at all.

Susan, our lake has an open spot and there was a FB picture of geese swimming with others on the ice. Spring is on the way! I know you will enjoy the quilt festival. A gal in my crafty group asked for advice on mending a quilt that her son-in-law's grandmother made for him. He obviously had used it to the point where the edges had frayed and the pieces worn through. Since I don't quilt I was no help, but those that do quilt offered suggestions. I was having trouble with FB "sharing" and Beth fixed that glitch for me. I was notified of an iPad and iPhone update but the reviews all said not to do it so I didn't. I see the Jenny Craig ad on your post.

I need to think about something for dinner. Chicken sounds good today. May you enjoy the rest of a super Sunday and have a great week ahead!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #8  
Thin Within

GOOD EVENING IN FEBRUARY MAGNOLIAS

I have had a horrible migraine headache today for it and it takes away most of the pain. I haven’t had one in a long, long time so it was a surprise. I used to get them about twice a month but it has been so long I don’t remember when. I wrote this one in my little calendar.

Will got carton of Ensure which is a nutrition shake which is a complete balanced nutrition that his doctor recommended he get. The bottle holds an 8oz drink and is 8P+ and he is going to get me a carton of the same drink that is “diet.” But for a meal replacement meal 8P+ isn’t bad. He got vanilla an we are going to see if it comes in chocolate and strawberry. I remember that my mother used to buy it for my grandmother for it is so nutritious. She was so little she drank it along with a meal but I am going to use it as a meal replacement. I plan to have 2 of those a day and one meal.

OH goodie it is raining now and we can use the moisture.

DONNA FAYE That was nice of you to go there and got home safely.

SUSAN That quilting affair sounds like a lot of fun and I know you will do well.

JEAN I hope you don’t have anymore trouble to get on this so we can hear from you.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-21-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Back At Ya

GOOD AFTERNOON IN FEBRUARY MAGNOLIAS

I have decided to quit going to WW since I am on the program to drink a bottle of Ensure® twice a day for meal replacement. It is 8P+ a bottle and we are going to go get the lower point kind for me today. They make a lower fat kind. Since I am trying to lose weight I thought that would be a good idea. It has all kinds of vitamins in it which is a good thing. The doctor is the one that put Will on it. I can still count my points on what I will be eating to keep me in the range I should be in to lose weight. Right now we have the vanilla kind but I am going to see if they make other flavors. This vanilla is very good tasting. Lets see how this goes for me I can always go back to WW if it doesn’t work out but I am going to give it a good try.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon! It's another gloomy day but NO wind for a nice change. That's two days in a row! We didn't have much money to count at church so I was done by 8:45. I made a trip to WM and they had half the lights turned off. It was pretty dark in there. I had a check for the hospital then got home in time to do a load of laundry and vacuum before lunch. Have more laundry I could do and need to write a couple of church cards.

Maggie, my mom was supposed to drink Ensure and she thought it tasted like milk. She didn't like it much. I think it came in strawberry or chocolate along with vanilla back then. I never compared them but Bob's mom drank Boost. I bought it for her and think it also came in the three flavors. She would put her's in the freezer and said it sort of tasted like a milk shake. How expensive is WW now? I've thought about going again but they meet the same time as bell practice. The leader said I could come and weigh after the meeting but I feel like I need the meeting at least to get started. I still get the goofy page listing all the threads first.

Am I the only one who sees the Jenny Craig ad?

Not much newsy going on here today. Bob has practice later this afternoon so supper will be a little later. Hope you all enjoy a nice rest of the day!
Old 02-23-2016, 08:28 AM   #11  

Good morning, ladies! A rainy day in the 40s for us.

Today we hang our quilts for Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show. It seems it always rains when we do this and we have all the quilts to keep dry and carry in. Oh, well.

I noticed a lot of lint in my sewing machine yesterday so I took the bobbin case out to clean under it - and now I can't find it. I didn't move from the machine so how could it be lost? I looked under the cabinet, behind it, in all the drawers, and went through the waste basket. Hopefully I'll find it this morning. If not, I'll order a new one.

Jean, the Jenny Craig ad appears on the last post of the thread. This morning I'm seeing it on yours. Whoever posts after me will see it on mine. Have you tried deleting the current bookmark and making a new one? Jean, if you go the WW website and click on Find A Meeting, it will also tell you the price for your area.

Maggie, Stan had a special form of insure that they make for kidney patients. They used to ship us a case of 30 assorted flavors right to our door for free. Good luck with your new plan. Monday will be my last day working for Weight Watchers this time.

Have a great day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #12  

Good morning all. It is cool not cold and overcast. We are expecting more rain today and tomorrow.

Jack is heading out to his stress test appointment. Poor guy has a horrible headache and can't take anything for it until after the testing is done. His knee is hurting him so they will have to do the chemical testing instead of the treadmill test. Nothing is wrong, just he hasn't had one in three years and his cardiologist wanted him to have one.

I am going upstairs in a bit and clean my upstairs. I have a plumber coming in on Friday and replace the faucets in the bathroom downstairs and in our bedroom bath. Jack just can't do that stuff anymore. He has had a shaky left hand since he was a child and it has gotten worse and both his hands have arthritis so I told him we would just pay to have it done. I am waiting for somebody from Lowes to call about coming in and measuring for new attic stairs. Our bottom stair fell off and we need to replace it with aluminum stairs which are studier.

Susan: I will look after I post to see if the Jenny Craig ad is there, but looking at it right not it isn't. I know they did some kind of upgrade not long ago and maybe all the kinks aren't worked out. Hope your weather continues to improve. We are getting there. Oh man, hope you can find your bobbin case. I use that computer air stuff in a can to clean my machine

Maggie: They wanted me to drink Boost or Insure a few years back when I had a colon surgery and I thought it was awful. All I could taste was am medicinal taste. I get that with things like Slimfast too so it may just be my taste buds.

Jean: I am certainly ready for spring. Hope all your counting and such has been going ok for you. You have had some kooky issues with your car it seems. I got a giggle thinking about you driving around in circles to get it to reset.

Everyone have a great day
Old 02-23-2016, 11:05 AM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Rainey Day

GOOD MORNING IN FEBRUARY MAGNOLIAS

It has been raining hard since through the night and it still hasn’t stopped. No doubt we can use the moisture for sure. I love hearing the rain hit the roof

I still don’t feel so good with residuals from that migraine headache. I just don’t have any ambition at all. I took my heart rate and exercise monitor off my wrist and I have a bit of a rash under where the control if it set. I think when it gets charged I will turn it around and have it on the top side of my wrist. I was wearing it that way on the inside of my wrist for it takes my pulse but we will see how this works. If the rash continues I guess I won’t use it anymore which is a bummer but I do have sensitive skin.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #14  

Good Morning! My day started early with a 7:30 lab visit and then an 8:30 chat with my doctor. I'm glad we are so close to the clinic so I could come home for toast and coffee in between. I had forgotten I would be going so soon after Maui, but my numbers were all good. It's another cloudy gloomy day in my neighborhood today. It's not supposed to warm up much and it just has that damp cold feeling. I need to run some errands after lunch; pick up a shower gift for our pastor's daughter and take my library books back since I didn't like either one I picked out.

Susan, I hope the sun shines on you when it's time to take the quilts into the show. That you find the bobbin case for your sewing machine. Frustrating, I'm sure.

"Gma," I hope Jack's stress test is ok and his headache is gone. I would be stressed just knowing I had to do the test. We have talked about looking for a different make of vehicle but our lease runs until July of next year. There is a penalty for dumping it early. I think Bob is going to take the car in tomorrow since it's my morning to work in the gift shop. They sure don't make things like they used to that's for sure.

Maggie, we could use some rain to wash the streets. Everything looks so grubby this time of year. Hope you feel better soon! I see you have Jenny on your post.

I have towels to fold and put away then need to vacuum fur bunnies in the basement and on the steps. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!

Last edited by Jean; 02-23-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:06 AM   #15  

Good morning all. We have had 3 straight days of rain and it will continue until this evening. I want some sunshine!

I have dr appt early this morning with pharmacy then my 6 month check up tomorrow. Tomorrow isn't until one so I am going to see if the pharmacy dr can get my dr to write up blood work to be done today because I have to fast and can't wait until late afternoon before I eat. I will just not eat this morning and see if I can get it done today. I have plumbers in early Friday so can't go in on Friday.

The guy to measure my attic stairs will be here this afternoon then we can purchase them and get them installed.

Maggie: Hope you feel better soon.

Jean: Glad your dr appt and labs went ok. I finish up this week then I have my last check up with gyno on Tuesday then I should be done with drs for awhile. Did you get that big snowstorm heading east? Looks like it is pretty big and I think that's where all our rain is coming from.

Well I have to hop to it. Have a good middle of the week everyone.