Old 12-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #16  
Thin Within

Talking Weigh Day Information

GOOD MORNING IN DECEMBER MAGNOLIAS

The scale at WW tonight was kind to me for I showed a 4.6 loss. I didn’t use any “weekly points” this week at all and that sure must have helped along with not eating any chips or that kind of food.

Not much going on here except Will has just left for his chemo treatment. We sure had a nice sun-shiny day yesterday after enduring all that rain that poured and poured down.

I'll be back later and post . . .
Never, never, never give up.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-15-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #17  

Good Morning! It's another cold misty morning in my corner of the world. At least the river in the basement has slowed down a lot. Now if the sun would just come out and dry things up that would be great. I made a quick trip to the grocery store and dropped a check off at the hospital. I have a casserole in the oven and it's beginning to smell "good."

Maggie, on the great loss! That is a good motivator to stay op. I hope Will's treatment goes well. I'm still waiting for some sunshine.

Bob should be home soon for lunch. Not much newsy going on here. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #18  

Good evening, ladies! 75 degrees was the high this day. Petunias as still blooming!

The doc called and said she made an appointment with the hand doc for Thursday morning early. No breaks showed up on the xray but she doesn't know if I have gout with uric acid deposits or if its calcium deposits. I had to chuckle because I have osteoporosis so not enough calcium in my bones but my body may deposit calcium on the bones. She said the gout is probably from my medications and metabolism issues.

Faye, I think gift cards are the best gift ever for older folks. We can get what we need or want.

Jean, I take back the CPA job - maybe you should work for Wells Fargo. I hardly have more than $20 cash on me at any time because anymore I'm aftraid to be out in the parking lot alone at stores.

Congratulations, Maggie! I lost 1.6 pounds and I ate my 30 daily points plus my 6 maintenance points. I didn't touch APs ow Weeklies. I think the is the best plan ever.

I'm going to a pot luck tonight. I'm taking salad and the hostess is making Brunswick stew so I know I'll be able to find something to eat.

Have a wonderful evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #19  

Good morning to everyone. It is raining cats and dogs this morning and will probably be at it all day. We are supposed to get several days of rain.

I guess we round out the trio. I was down a whopping 11 lbs from my doctor appointment on the 4th. I was weighed on the 11th when I went for my pharmacy appointment. I am being extra good so I can have a bit of treat on Christmas Eve with the kids.

I am getting ready to balance my checkbook and pay bills this morning then get upstairs and get some work done. I am just going to have to force myself to do it and ignore the pain the best way I can. My bathrooms need to be cleaned and I need to dust and vacuum. Bathrooms today, dusting tomorrow and vacuuming this weekend. I am going to have to quit taking any nsaids etc because of surgery starting next week. They say one week, but I am always cautious about that so I try at least a week and a half to 2 weeks before and just take Tylenol if the need is there.

Jean: Our 2016 cruise in early October. I got an email that possibly our friends that live in Kansas City may want to come with us again so that will be nice. Sounds like all and all Monday was a great day for you. Everything seemed to go right. I made a sausage and potato casserole last night using the lowfat sausage, etc. It was what Jack wanted. I like those one pan things as cleanup is so easy.

Maggie: Congrats on the loss. Glad it is working for you.

Susan: I hope they can find a solution to your hand. Jack's left hand is messed up around the thumb joint and will need about 12 weeks off work so he has to wait until he has all that sick time stored up to get his fixed. He wears a brace on it here at home and on the way to work, but can't work with it on. He had a cortisone shot in it once, but he said that hurt more than the damage does and it only lasted a few days so no more cortisone shots. I think right after I am cleared from my surgery I am signing up with YMCA and going to water aerobics classes. I have a question for you. Have you ever done deep water aerobics and if so what does it involve? I have always done shallow aerobics where you can touch the pool floor but never the other. I can swim like a fish so being in the deep water is no problem, but I don't know exactly what they do and whether I would be able to do it. I can go to the shallow 3 times a week though, which is great.

Everyone have a good day. I am off to accomplish what I can.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #20  

Good Morning! It's another crappy, windy, cloudy, misty/snowy day in my corner of the world. Did I mention gloomy? The wind is blowing harder today so makes it seem colder outside. We've just had a dusting of snow which melts as fast as it lands. I've been to have my nails filled and braved WM for an X-Box gift card for Ian. They have so many gift cards for stores that are nowhere near here and I can't help but wonder if they sell all of them. Bob is out of town for the meeting he tried to go to last month. My tree is waiting to be finished after Bob put new lights on it. The new ones are LED and a bright white while the old ones are a yellow/white. I'm sure no one will notice.

​Susan, Wow -- 75 degrees would seem like a summer day here! We are hanging in the 30/40s range which is warm for this time of year. What can the doctor, or you, do if you have calcium deposits? My dad had gout in his big toe and ate cherries. I'm not sure if he read that hint (he subscribed to several health magazines) or if the doctor told him to do that. (I think, maybe not?) on the weight loss. I thought you were supposed to gain some after your last surgery. I sometimes worry about wearing some of my more expensive jewelry out in public. I don't have a lot but all have special meaning to me.

"Gma," on your loss too! Can you stay on Belviq indefinitely? I would enjoy water aerobics but hate the thought of going out in the cold before and after. Our college pool is so hit and miss as to when they let the public use it, that it's hard to plan a schedule. When there are no classes, like now, it's closed. I just reread what I wrote and auto spell put "nude" finitley" where I wanted indefinitely.

I need to get busy. First I'm turning the thermostat UP! Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 12-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #21  

Good afternoon! Only 55 degrees today. Our warm weather is over now. As long as it doesn't snow, I'll be happy.

The Library Quilting Bee is having dinner tonight at Ruby Tuesday before our meeting.

I got myself a smart phone for Christmas. I have nearly $400 on my Verizon pay as you go because it accumulates from Day 1 and I hardly use the phone. They will transfer that amount to my month plan so I won't have to pay for over a year ($30 month). I think I'll use the smart phone to check email, the WW app and other stuff besides calling. It's supposed to be delivered today.

Tomorrow is our Glory Bee Christmas luncheon. After that, I don't think I'll be eating out again until Christmas Day.

Faye, I'm so sorry you are still having so much pain. I know you are counting down the days until this is over. The deep water aerobics class is a bit harder than the low impact at our Y. They use flotation belts. I'm sure you could do it. I do low impact because I need weight bearing exercise, although water aerobics isn't very good for that, for the osteoporosis.

Jean, I am supposed to gain a few pounds. I wasn't trying to loose with WW so I'll add more maintenance points this week.

Hi, Maggie!

Have a wonderful day!
Old 12-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #22  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

We have Christmas lights hanging on the awning edge and they look so pretty. We have enough lights to put around the top edge of this MH but they are still packed in our little storage building. After we go through all those boxes we can arrange them in order but for now we bought this little string which is real nice.

DONNA FAYE on that huge loss. I know my loss next weigh in won't be as big as I had this past one because that is how my system works. It keeps holding on to those pounds and they are hard to get off. I hope your upcoming operation will cure your pain problem.

SUSAN You will like your new phone. I have a smart phone and it works great for what I want. Mine is an Otter Box by Apple. Takes great pictures.

JEAN We have a tiny tree all lit and decorated sitting on our table and it looks so cheery. Those "spell" helps aren't always helpful for sure.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-17-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:36 AM   #23  

Good morning to you all. Cold this morning, but it is still warming into the 60's during the day. Christmas Eve is supposed to be in the 70's as is Christmas Day. I hope no rain as Jack wants to grill out for Christmas dinner. We always go to Kelly's on Christmas Eve so we are alone on Christmas Day so we can do whatever we want.

Dumb me sent out a Christmas card without a stamp! I just stuck one on and will mail it over the weekend while we are out. I paid bills yesterday so that is all done and this weekend is commissary weekend. I have to buy all the ingredients for all the pies I am making. I did order myself a couple of those crust covers and some ceramic balls to put in the bottom of the crusts to keep them from puffing up and shrinking. I read the reviews and everyone seems to like them better than using beans. One goofy woman posted a one star because she dumped them into the garbage disposal trying to wash them. She said there was no way to wash them. Brother, doesn't she have a strainer? She could put them in a strainer with dish soap and wash and rinse them then just pour them onto a towel on the counter to dry them. They are probably dishwasher safe and could go into your silverware basket too.

I ordered this really nice makeup mirror and when I got it, there was nothing in the handle to be able to screw it to the base. I sent the company an email and they said they had several customers complain about the same thing and they would either refund my money or send me a new one. I said I preferred the money back and would order another one down the road when the new factory they were using got the bugs out. They refunded my money right away and didn't want the mirror back. Jack works with a guy a work who said he could make something to put in the mirror so it could be screwed into the base so he is going to do that next week for me. I still use the mirror. I just prop it up sideways for now. So, I got a free makeup mirror. I do wish I had bought the one with a light though. I used one on the ship and really liked it.

Susan: Thanks for the info on the water aerobics. I am anxious to be able to go back to it when the doctor releases me. I always liked doing it and it is the one exercise if I am careful I can do with my knee the way it is. I have an Iphone 5. This is my 3rd one and I really like it, though I have an Ipad and use it more than the phone now. Most everyone I know has to use it to text to me as they don't have Ipads or Iphones so can text through my Ipad which is easier to text through. If you said, I don't remember. Are you and Glory going to do Christmas Day dinner together? How is she doing btw?

Maggie: You know me, sometimes I roar down the road with weight loss. Part of this big drop though was fluid as my legs swelled on the cruise and didn't go down until I got home.

Jean: We have Target, WM and Kroger that has a huge variety of gift cards. I noticed that some of them are nothing we have close by. For example we don't have a Cheesecake Factory. I heard we are going to get one, but don't know if that is just a rumor. I do like the big variety to choose from, but then we are a huge metropolitan area so would have a lot more of the places. I like the restaurant gift cards that have several restaurants you can use them at. That way a person can choose. I gave Jay and Alicia Carrabbas because they have one where they live and they like the place. They eat at a lot of pubs or local places so it is hard to get gift cards or certificates for places like that.

You all have a great day. I am going to get some breakfast and try and get some chores done.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #24  

Good Afternoon! We have sunshine! I am a happy, happy gal! The wind is blowing so it is cold outside but the sunshine makes such a huge difference! I went for my once a month coffee date this morning. We always order a huge bran muffin and the restaurant has discontinued them! The other option was a breakfast order, or a cinnamon roll. We opted for the roll and it had way too much sweet, gooey frosting glopped on it. I didn't even eat all of mine. Lunch was leftover casserole and now I need to get busy on Christmas! Way too much to get done, and I want to go see a movie tonight.

Susan, enjoy your new phone! What kind did you get? I still only use mine to text, an occasional phone call, and once in awhile check email. My screen is too small to read anything that has much length to it. Hope you enjoyed the luncheon today.

Maggie, I always try to go back and reread what I wrote to see if it makes sense. Sometimes I think faster than I type and leave words out. A friend is part of a breakfast group and where they eat (resort) has a Christmas tree in the lobby but no decorations in the restaurant. They are going to bring their own next week and decorate their table! The restaurant today had no Christmas decorations either.

"Gma," many years ago I gave my mom metal balls (small like b bs) for her pie shells. Hmm, wonder if they are downstairs in a box. It would be nice if the guy can fix your mirror fo you! We have a lot of restaurant gift cards in our Walgreens store. Again, none of them are around here but I suppose people who buy them send them where they could be used. I think more and more people eat out more than they do at home, I know we go in spurts.

I need to get busy and get something done this afternoon! Enjoy the rest of a terrific Thursday!

Last edited by Jean; 12-17-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #25  

Good morning to everyone. It is another gloomy day here and pretty cold this morning. Jack wore his winter jacket to work which is unusual. He has this great sweatshirt jacket the kids bought him several years ago and it is thermal insulated and he wears it most of the time in cooler weather so it must be cold out.

I finally got my bathrooms upstairs cleaned and am shooting for dusting today but don't know if it will get done. Sameo, sameo, I woke up in the middle of the night with pain and I can't get it to go away so don't know what I will get done.

Oh my gosh, the tie Jack ordered for formal nights is ugly. I mean it is really ugly. It looks like something a clown would wear so back it goes tomorrow. It is cheap looking too. His shoes fit perfectly and he loves those. They are nice, but he loves the patent leather type shine on them. I think again it is leftover Navy days when he had to wear Corfam dress shoes, which are really shiny. These are slip ons not oxford type though.
My ceramic balls came so I am going to get them washed and ready to use for next week. I have a lot of baking to do on Tuesday for the luncheon on Wednesday. If I have to, I will take my old computer chair to the kitchen and sit down to do things if I am in pain.

Jean: I never got to eat out as a kid. Once in awhile I would get to eat at McDonalds if we were in South Bend for some reason, but not at restaurants ever. We ate at home partly because we couldn't afford any other way. Jack would love that restaurant cinnamon roll. He'd rather have icing than the roll. It makes me sick to eat very much icing. I am a fan of cream cheese icing, but not too much.

Everyone have a good weekend.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #26  

Good Afternoon! We have sunshine again today! The wind is blowing, and it's a cold 25 degrees (feels like 9), so it's not a nice day to stand around outside. I have been working on Christmas cards, we haven't gotten many so maybe everyone is running behind like I am. Bob just left to go to a farm auction. There is a tractor he is curious about, not to buy for himself but may bid on it for a friend.

"Gma," it sounds like you have the gloomy days we just went through. We are supposed to be in the high 40s on Sunday. Crazy weather! Does Jack wear a bow tie with his tux? I notice the prom guys wear several different styles these days. What kind of a luncheon are you baking for? I hope the ceramic balls work ok. We see young families eating out quite often. I'm sure it must be expensive knowing what it costs just for the two of us. When I was a kid we did eat at the local Mom 'n Pop restaurants occasionally, because they did business with my dad. He always preached to buy local and support the local business owners.

Not much is newsy today. I really should make my Christmas Day grocery list, maybe tomorrow after my cards are done. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 12-18-2015, 05:13 PM   #27  
Thin Within

Talking Friendly Friday

Good afternoon ladies. It is a rather chilly day today. We have a nice fire ring built and have our tri pod out and will do some Dutch oven cooking on it soon. I have a lot of recipes for doing just that in a small 3 ring binder. Will and our good neighbor are burning twigs in it and he brought some old cast iron fry pans to clean up while they have that fire built. They probably have been treated pretty bad.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-18-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #28  

Good Morning! The sun is shining brightly but it is cold even though there is no wind blowing right now. I slept in late enough that Bob was up, showered, fed the cats, and made coffee. I never sleep that late and he finally came up to see if I was ok. Scared me half to death when he touched my foot. I just cleared off the mantle so Bob could put the greenery there. He uses tiny sticky hooks to keep it in place. The last of my cards are going out today and I'm going to start wrapping after lunch.

Maggie, what did you make in your Dutch oven?

Bob will be home for lunch soon. I have soup in the freezer and think I will thaw that for a start. The thermometer says 23 but the tv just said it feels like 11. Brrrr! Hope you all enjoy a nice day!
Old 12-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #29  

Good morning to you all. Cold again this morning and going to be cool today, but we are expecting near 80 for Christmas Eve! What a weird winter this is turning out to be. As long as we get no snow or ice this year I don't care about temps too much. Rain can be hard for me to walk on anymore so the other stuff is awful.

We went to the post office and dropped off the card I forgot to put a stamp on, dropped off the tie to UPS store then out to WM. It was only 8AM but it was pretty busy. Looked like a lot of holiday food shopping for folks. I bought pie baking stuff that I thought maybe I couldn't get at the commissary today and found a half gallon of half and half!! I usually have to buy those itty bitty half pint cartons. My cream pie base is made with half and half. I have a chocolate, butterscotch, coconut cream all to make with it and it takes a lot along with eggs and sugar. I actually found this recipe ages ago. It is a coconut cream pie recipe that I tweaked a lot and found it could be used for any cream pie. I use German baking chocolate in my chocolate cream pie because it is a lovely chocolate taste. I use coconut extract and flake coconut in my coconut pie. I tried using coconut milk, but I like the extract better. I have all my pie making equipment ready now so I am ready to go on Tuesday. The apple squares are a cinch to make. The hardest I think is the pecan pie. I rarely make the darn thing and am always worried the filling won't set.

We have watched two of, "A Christmas Carol," movies now and of course "White Christmas." I would really like to see the old black and white version of "A Christmas Carol" but haven't seen it listed on the old movie channels. Hope I haven's missed it. I don't watch a lot of the new Christmas movies as I like the older ones. Jack wanted rolled tacos and Spanish rice last night so that's what we had.

Maggie: I have a very old Boy Scout cookbook that I bought probably 38 years ago. It has some neat info and recipe tips in it besides some nice outdoor cooking recipes. We don't camp, etc so the few I can I have cooked indoors, but they were great.

Jean: Yes, Jack wears a black bowtie with his tux and now he has a black tux and a black and white tux and two pairs of tux shoes, one shiny and one not. He also has 4 tux shirts, two with studs and two without, but all four use cufflinks. He has several pairs of cufflinks now, a couple that I hate but he loves. Are you doing the cooking over Christmas? I was afraid I wouldn't get my cards back in time from ordering them as I used a cruise photo, but they took only about a week I think. I did them right away and got them mailed out. A lot of the guys out at the plant take off Christmas Eve, but those that are left have a lunch. Usually the plant orders bbq or something like that then everyone brings something. Something, not everything, but Jack wanted all these desserts so I said ok. I guess he likes my cooking. I know whenever I send something the pan comes back empty so I guess it isn't too bad.

Everyone have a beautiful Sunday. Today is commissary day for us.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #30  

Good morning, ladies! 29 degrees right now but supposed to be in the middle 40s today...and 78 degrees by Christmas Day. I'm hoping we don't have to pay for this with cold and snow in January and February.

Dr. B took another x-ray of my wrist and hand and then did an ultrasound. I have calcium deposits all through the wrist and he said he's never seen this before, calcium deposits inside the tendons. He said apparently my body doesn't know what to do with calcium since my bones are like Swiss cheese
and all this is floating around. There was also a lot of fluid so he withdrew most of that and gave me a cortisone shot. I have to go back in 3 weeks and we'll see how things are progressing. He said the calcium can break up and be reabsorbed on its own but with so much he didn't think it would. The ones in my tendons have him puzzled and he's going to do more research. He said this could fill the tendon and basically make me lose the use of my wrist so he's going to do some reading up. He can break them up sonically but it might come back. In the meantime, I'm looking for front-hook bras. My wrist does have full rotation and it really hurts to force it enough to hook bras.

Faye, when you go to the Y, see if they offer Silver Sneakers or Chair Yoga. Both are done sitting down and are extremely good for flexibility and strength. I've made so many friends at the Y. Ours has a lounge area and they provide us with coffee and tea so after our class we have a cup and a chat and sometimes do lunch. The morning is pretty much taken over by seniors. We have a lot of young mothers since the Y has child care for free, but they are in and out and take classes like Insanity and Pounding (bootcamp type work outs for crazy people). Your pies sound so good. Glory wants me to make another crustless pumpkin pie for Christmas so I'll make 2 and leave her one. She eats it for breakfast!

Jean, we missed talking about the shortest day of the year this time. Now we are into longer days and I'm glad. Have you started you Hawaii countdown?

Maggie, how was your dinner? You'd have made a great pioneer! I'm really like the WW app on my phone and the Connect that WW added for smartphones. Our meetings have been crowded but this week will be not so much. Then comes January...oh, my!

Have a wonderful day.

Have a wonderful day!