Old 08-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #119

Good morning all. Hope you all had a nice weekend. Got back from Nashville around noon yesterday but it is an uproar here at home at the moment.

I had bad female problems all weekend so no swimming for me at all. I came very close to having to leave a restaurant on Saturday night as I stood up and it came pouring out. I rushed to the bathroom and cleaned up as much as I could and had Jack go out to the car and get something for me then back to the restroom to finish the job. I hurt so bad I barely ate my dinner so I am definitely going in to see the gyno again. This is not letting up now so we shall see what he can do.

Sunday morning at the hotel our power steering went out and the new cars don't have fluid levels and pumps and such but something called a module so Jack had to drive home with no power steering and none this morning. He is calling the dealership this morning and we are going to go and get a rental car when he gets home this afternoon. On top of that, our right turn signal is acting goofy now too so he will talk to them about that. When it rains it pours but Jack says there is a recall regarding our steering that he called about a long time ago and they said they only fixed it when it went out so hopefully they will fix it no charge.

Didn't do a lot of shopping as I felt too bad. Jack did get me a wheelchair to ride around in or we wouldn't have been able to shop at all as I was hurting too much. We bought Jack a new leather laptop bag, a new wallet, a new flatter wallet for myself and of course I found a handbag. It is bright yellow green though the picture doesn't show how bright it is. It was $160 and I got it for $40!!! It was a nice relaxing time even with feeling bad.

Maggie: Hope you had fun at the wedding this weekend.

Susan: I saw this article about the Caribbean being overwhelmed with this certain type of seaweed. It is costing millions to remove from some of the biggest beach resorts. Sounds like you have been having weather like us.

Jean: Hope your counting went ok this morning and your new neighbors are great

Gotta go have a ton to do and have to rent a car for a week since they have no idea how long it will take to fix ours. UGH!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neonhandbag.jpg (20.2 KB, 5 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and it's a nice day in my neighborhood. The humidity is down which is even better. Counting was a little slow this morning with just two of us. I was "off" when I posted the budget envelopes so had to double check those again. Two had stuck together so wasn't hard to find. Ran my errands and have vacuumed fur hunks. We have new neighbors across the street. The license plates on two of the four vehicles are from the county where Bob grew up so we are anxious to meet them.

"Gma," I find it hard to believe that your doctor can't somehow come up with impressive coding or itemize and emphasize your history so that your insurance would cover surgery. You have put up with this stuff long enough! Then to have car problems on top of not feeling good. I like your new purse! Does it have a center zipper to keep things from falling out if it tips over? Will your insurance pay for a rental, or will the garage give you a loner since it is a recall fix?

I need to pick up Maddy's picture from the newspaper so had better get going. Hope you all enjoy your day!

Last edited by Jean; 08-10-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD LATE AFTERNOON IN AUGUST MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

I’m telling you that wedding was like none we have attended nor will another be like it again. The weather report said sunny and warm days at the lake. It didn’t say a thing about those heavy black clouds that were over head when we drove up. As we drove up the MH barely made it to the camp site we had arrangements for that the wedding party had rented it for us. It started raining so hard we couldn’t see the lake which was just a few feet away. The pavilion where the wedding was to be held was a stones throw away from our parking spot but we drove the Jeep over there and during the short walk into the pavilion we got soaked from head to foot and inside our shoes. A deluge that was like huge amounts of water being dumped on us. Anyway when we walked into the pavilion all the folks sitting in there were soaked to the skin also ~ even the groom and best man who were in there. The bride and the bridesmaid were still in the cabin. The wedding didn’t start on time and after an hour it was decided to hold the wedding inside the cabin where the bride was. At this time some folks gave up and left for home but some hardy folks went to the cabin. We drove over there and squished our soaked selves inside. It was warm inside the cabin. Will greatly shortened the ceremony and got the two married. The caterers had planned on the food being taken across the lake inside a building but brought it all over to that cabin. It was a tasty meal of pulled pork, cole slaw, and a yummy type of cornbread pudding type thing. Between the wedding and dinner we went back to the MH and changed clothes. Wet clothing is sure hard to get off. I didn’t have a spare set of shoes so had to just blot them out inside as best as I could and put on dry sox. The rain stopped and let us get back to the cabin dry and feeling fine. Every one was in a great mood and I didn’t hear anyone griping or complaining which was great. The Bride and Groom will certainly have things of interest to put in a “don’t forget it book,” We didn’t know what was causing the MH to lose power like it did so left it parked there over Sunday and went and got it today. Will went to the office to pay for the extra day and was told that someone had already taken care of it. It ran fine like nothing was the matter with it all the way home. But there has to be something amiss for it to have acted like that so we went to the dealership place and the guy there said he will fix it after he finishes up a couple jobs he has lined up. We are fine with that for we won’t need it till October when we need to get it over here and load it up. We had unhooked the Jeep from it and I followed him home driving it just in case . . .

DONNA FAYE Sorry that you are having troubles again. Too bad they cant' fix the cause like you said earlier. We had a great time at the wedding.

JEAN I sure hope your new neighbors are as nice as you and Bob so you can get along great.

Last edited by Maggie; 08-10-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #4  

Good morning, ladies! Raining right now and project to last all day but only in the low 80s today.

I had applique yesterday and tonight is quilt guild. Glory has tendonitis in her foot so I'm taking her to her hair appointment today and then doing her grocery shopping while she is there. She is having an MRI tomorrow to be sure it isn't broken and it isn't something besides tendonitis.

Faye, The doc needs to get creative and get you some help now! This has gone on for years. Car problems are always costly so I hope at least some is under the recall.

Jean, the jellyfish are also here for their summer vacation (LOL). As you know, living on the water isn't always idealic!

Maggie, what a shame it rained for the wedding. Do you have NC BBQ around you or is it all tomato based? We get both but I go for NC. It seems there is a pig-pickin' every weekend in the summer. It's a good thing you found you might have a problem with the MH now instead of one the road!

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #5  

Good Morning! It's a beautiful day at the lake -- sunny, low humidity, and NO wind. Kids are in the water with twice removed (??) cousins from Florida. Beth and kids will head home late this afternoon as we will. Guess we are going to eat Maddy's birthday lunch at a place called Barefoot Bar which is part of a "boat store." The last time we were there I bought a new boat but Bob said I can't even look this time. The restaurant looks like a grass covered hut. We will go by boat from one lake to the next, and under the highway bridge which is exciting for the kids.

Maggie, it's a good thing the bride was able to stay dry in the cabin! What a disappointing thing to happen but everyone knows there is no control over the weather. Hope the mechanic can find the motorhome glitch and fix it without a major expense. Thanks for the nice neighbor compliment. So far there have been several vehicles coming and going so we're not sure who is actually going to live there.

Susan, I hope that Glory's tendonitis isn't something more serious. I've heard of it in elbows but not feet. I don't think we have jellyfish here.

Hope you all are enjoying a nice day!

Last edited by Jean; 08-11-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:51 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday

GOOD LATE AFTERNOON IN AUGUST MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

Will went into the market to pick up a rotisserie chicken and a few other items and the green grocer who also takes care of the florets duties ask him how his wife like that bouquet of flowers he sent home awhile back and Will told him she was very pleased and said to be sure and thank him. Well he said they were yellow weren’t they? And Will said and quite beautiful. He then handed Will a beautiful bouquet of pink ones to give to me. I have the stems all trimmed and that beautiful bouquet in water with the packet of “keep fresh stuff.” That green grocer really appreciated Will’s help with his coaching his little league team last season. Will’s good deed paid off with beautiful flowers for me.

Tomorrow we will take the MH back over to it’s storage place to sit until the mechanic is ready to check it out. He will find the glitch that made it act funny then act like it was supposed to coming home.

BTW all you flowers ~ when I changed computers I lost all my e-mail addresses I had. Would each of you please send me an e-mail so I can capture yours? That would be most appreciated.

SUSAN We can get what ever kind of BBQ meat here that we prefer. Me, I don't like a whole lot of BBQ sauce on it ~ just a once over with a mop is fine.

JEAN Going by boat sounds like a lot of fun. My favorite sea food restaurants, out west on the ocean shore, is a toss up between the Whales Tale and the Wash House (which was once just that.)

Last edited by Maggie; 08-11-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:24 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. We are expecting upper 80's low 90's today so not as bad as it has been but still pretty miserable with the humidity.

Well, they called to have us come pick up the car, but the idiots didn't fix the steering. Sometimes girls, I just wished I handled this stuff because believe me, they wouldn't be pulling stuff like they do with Jack. He takes it, I don't. Anyway, long story short, they say we were not covered under recall, they charged us $31 for a $4 bulb for the turn signal and since they still have the car, we don't know if that was the problem. They did not fix the steering, didn't call and ask if we wanted it fixed, etc. Jack got in it and I ask him if he was going to take it back in and tell them to find out what was wrong. He hemmed and hawed and I got mad and said fine I was leaving to come or go and I left him there! He called me and asked if I was just going to leave him there and I asked him if he went back in and told them he wanted them to look at it this time and find out what was wrong and he said yes, so I went back to pick him up. I was furious that they didn't even give us an option when they called Jack to say whether he wanted it fixed or not. You can't drive the car that way in this day and age like before power steering. I adore the man, but he can be such a wimp sometimes. If I had gone in there I would have plain out asked them how they thought the car was ok when the person who brings the cars around for pick up had to have noticed it wasn't working, etc, etc. Believe me, it would have gotten colorful. I don't want to emasculate Jack, but darn it, quit just believing what they tell you. Anyway, we still have the rental and no Mariner. They said they would move it up to start looking at it today. I don't think they did a darn thing except change the light bulb. We shall see what happens. BTW, for over a year or so Firestone keeps saying our battery is failing though it isn't that old and our battery life is like 60 months or something like that. Anyway, we have had it checked at Auto Zone twice and they say it is ok and then yesterday I saw on the paperwork that they checked the battery and it is 100%. I kept telling Jack they were trying to rip us off and he wouldn't believe me. I am fed up with Firestone too!

Today I am going to finish the downstairs cleaning, tomorrow do the upstairs bathrooms and Friday go and get my nails and toes done and we will have dinner with all the kids. I talked to Jay yesterday and told him we would take the boys to dinner on Saturday and entertain them so I guess I should look at movies and see if there is something they both would enjoy Saturday evening. Maybe I will texted Thomas and ask him if he would like to go see anything with Jackson on Saturday as I am sure he is going to be asked to babysit.

Maggie: I am a saucy kind of bbq gal, but am not all that fond of Memphis sauces. Memphis is the dry rub capital of the bbq world and I hate dry rub ribs. They are way too strong. I like sweet and spicy sauce on my bbq. One of the places we go to here has a great spicy sauce.

Susan: I am hoping they will do something, but I have to hang on because we have a time issue with regards to Jack's work and such. I may have to wait until the first of the year. Ow, poor Glory. Jack has plantis fasciitis crop up from time to time and it sure gives him fits. Hopefully it is isn't broken.

Jean: Nope, no center zipper pocket. I don't like them. It has an outside zipper pocket, an inside zipper pocket and two little sewn pockets for like a cell phone, or hand wash, etc. I am sure everyone will have fun for the birthday. Oh and please tell the girls thank you for their little notes. That was so sweet and made my day when I got them.

Off to start the day. Have a good one!
Old 08-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #8  

Good morning, ladies! We have a whole week in the 80s with sunshine in the forecast. Hopefully things will dry out a bit.

I ordered a new cookbook today from Amazon - Southern Paleo Gluten-Free. I got it on my Kindle so I can take a look at it when I'm done with chores for the day.

Nothing but the Y today and then to the grocery store and housework. Fun time is over until knitting tomorrow.

Faye, Glory has plantar facitis, too, and has boot she has to wear when it gets bad. That's what she thought she had this time but it just kept getting worse and worse. Stan used to take our cars to Firestone when we first moved down here but decided they were rip off city. I take my car to an independent repair man. Don is so honest and fair in his pricing and he always checks my car from stem to stern even if I just need an oil change. I feel a lot of car repair places take advantage of women. I hope you post a picture of the boys so we see how they have grown. I don't care for rubs either but I don't like sweet BBQ so the vinegar-based NC is good for me.

Jean, I think jellyfish must like salt water for they come up here and stay in the Atlantic and don't come into the rivers, Pesky things are about invisible but you sure feel the sting!

Maggie, how nice to get flowers. I always say what goes around comes around.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:43 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon! It's been a busy day for me. I went to have my nails done and then decided to have a pedicure too. I had a WM list so that was next on my list, then off to Lunch Bunch. There were only four of us today but we had a nice visit as usual. I only see these gals once a month so it's fun to catch up with their news. I had just long enough to come home, go to the bathroom, listen to the messages on the answering machine, and then head off for a haircut. Now I need to think about something for supper.

Maggie, how fun to get unexpected flowers! I'm not a big bar-b-q fan and like just a little bit. We have a "local" we like called Cookies. My favorite fish is still fresh out of the MN lake: northern, perch, and sunfish.

"Gma," what a production to get your car fixed! Whatever happened to driving a car after it supposedly was fixed to be sure the job was done right? I hope they do it right this time! Maddy likes to write notes so thought they should do just that! I know you will enjoy the time with Thomas and Jackson.

Susan, has Glory gotten the MRI results yet? I've had plantar facitis -- NO fun! Enjoy your "cooler" weather!

Bob just got home so guess it is time for supper. Enjoy your evening!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:56 AM   #10  

Good morning gals. Well the news from the car dealership is some steering motor inside the dash so it is going to cost us around $1200. They had to send for the part as they didn't have it so it won't be here until today. I imagine most of the cost is labor as they will have to open up the dash to get to it. I just hope they don't mess anything else up.

This is going to be one of my bad days I imagine. I woke up not feeling well and took some medication but it hasn't helped so will just have to deal with it I guess. I will be glad when I can see my regular doctor and get a referral to see my gyno again. I am coming up in just a few months for my mammo again too.

Susan: I haven't been knitting in awhile now and need to finish that sweater. I just haven't felt like it. I sure hope they can find out what is wrong with Glory's foot. My older sister's step nephew was a tobacco chewer from high school on, got cancer, has lost part of his jaw, went through chemo and radiation and just finished it and they found he has an infection that is pretty bad where they replaced the bone in his chin with a metal plate so now he has to have surgery and have it taken out. He lost all of his tongue in this mess. I sure wish they could impress on kids what smokeless tobacco does to your mouth. He is only in his late 30's.

Jean: Sounds like you had a nice time with your friends. I think I will wait until Saturday morning and go over and get my nails and toes done and be there before they open so I can be first in line. I bought a wild bright yellow green to try this time. It goes with my purse and a shirt I have.

Everyone have a good Thursday. I am going to curl up in the recliner and read for awhile and see if I feel better.

Last edited by gma22; 08-13-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday

GOOD LATE MORNING IN AUGUST MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

We got a couple of the neat things from Wal*Mart yesterday for the MH and I gave one a try for dinner. We have the Rapid Mac Cooker and tried it out last evening and it cooked it in 4 ½ minutes. They are made by Rapid Brands and cook things in the microwave quicker than you can on the stove. For instance the Ramen noodles cook in 3 minutes. They are made out of some plastic material that is dishwasher safe. They also make a Rapid Rice Cooker, Rapid Oatmeal Cooker, & a Rapid Brownie Maker. Wal*Mart only had the two kinds that we got. I called the company and was told that they are selling out quick and they are manufacturing more and to look for them in @ two weeks or so. I would like to get the Rapid Rice Cooker. These are also great for heating Chili, Soups, & Spaghetti as they say. Being able to cook things of this sort quickly in the microwave will sure help on saving gas in the MH.

We are going to put some more “places” on the Jeep. The places that the guy at the printers did a great job on are the ones we have on there now. The ones we want him to make now are actual places:
Chattahoohee Oconee Trail
Whipsaw Trail
Moab Poison Spider Mesa
Rubicon Trail
Kansas Krawl
They will be in colors like the ones already on there and put on both sides in the space in front of the doors.

DONNA FAYE Hope your docs can give you some releif. Please send me your e-mail address.

JEAN Those are my favorite fish also along with canned white albacore tuna. Please send me your e-mail address.

SUSAN Your are so right ~ What goes around does come back around.

Last edited by Maggie; 08-13-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon! The sun has disappeared but it's a pleasant afternoon with the doors open. I had my mammogram done this morning; one procedure down and two to go. I needed a few things from the grocery store so stopped there on my way home. Have a load of laundry in the washer and need to accomplish something more today. I am getting to be a "later or tomorrow" person in the afternoons. I just finished filling in the calendar for football and soccer games starting Monday. I still don't have Zowie's schedule.

"Gma," it's too bad you don't have a little hometown garage that could fix your car cheaper than the dealership. But at least the problem is fixable which is good. I sat next to a gal, at the nail salon, and she always wears French tips (I think that is what it is called, plain nail with just the tips painted white.) Her granddaughter has been bugging her to try something new so she picked out a bright turquoise for the tips, then did a thin strip of silver right below, and the rest of the nail was plain. It was very pretty. Yellow green reminds me of another time in my life. Our health instructor had a very graphic poster of a kid who chewed and lost his jaw to cancer. Why anyone would start that filthy habit is beyond me.

Maggie, I sent you an email last night. Maybe I'm in the junk folder. Are the rapid cookers for the stove or microwave? We will probably get them next year. Our WM leaves a lot to be desired!

I need to get another load of laundry going and drag out the vacuum to chase fur bunnies. Hope you all are enjoying a terrific Thursday!
Old 08-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD MORNING IN AUGUST MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

I’m telling you Spam™ has sure grown up lately with the flavors they now have. We picked up some cans with Hickory Smoke, Jalapeno, Cherizo, & Hot and Spicy. Vienna sausage also has a Hot and Spicy, and a Smoked flavored. These will all be great to add to mac & cheese and such dishes when a quick meal is on the docket. Spam has 15 flavors plus their regular one plus a can of spread. I had no idea that they had so many different kinds but found them on their web site which also has gear and recipes and such.

JEAN The individual Wal*Marts don’t have any control on what the headquarters send them and the headquarters is in Arkansas and they decide who gets what. That is why this local Wal*Mart only got the two items from Rapid Brands to sell here. The rapid cookers are to be used in the microwave. I got your e-mail with your e-mail address ~ is that the one you asked about?

Last edited by Maggie; 08-14-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! It's a sunny hot day in my corner of the world. I have been home all day and just putzed from one project to the next. A couple loads of laundry are done and put away, greeting cards ordered for the gift shop, and birthday cards written for the church. I received a personal note in the mail yesterday. Our local mail goes to Des Moines to be processed, approximately a three hour drive, and then brought back here to be delivered. It was post marked the 10th and yesterday was the 13th! Talk about poor service! On top of it we've had the sub carrier and he is always one to two hours later than our regular guy. I can't believe it wouldn't be cost effective to keep the local mail here but what do I know?!

Maggie, when I started reading your post I thought the spam you were talking about was on the computer. I didn't know there were so many different kinds. I must admit it's something we ate in our early marriage but haven't had it in years. Jason used to have to take it when he went on scout camping trips. It's not his favorite food these days. Yes, the email I sent was the one you asked for.

Bob is playing in a golf tournament today and I bet it is miserably hot, or it would be for me. They have a steak supper afterwards so no cooking tonight. Yay!! Hope you all enjoy the rest of a fantastic Friday!
Old 08-15-2015, 05:43 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all. What a week this has been. I think I want to start it over.

Sorry I didn't get in here yesterday, but I have scratched my eye or something is wrong with it and I could hardly keep it open yesterday so no posting for me. I took my contacts out on Thursday as the left one was bothering me and overnight it felt scratchy so when I got up on Friday it was all red. It is still red, but I have an eye appointment the first of next week so will have her take a look at it and see what is up. Doesn't feel or look like a sty but it sure is sore, so am wearing my icky ole glasses for awhile.

We went out to dinner with the kids, all of them last night and the boys and Tom kept us entertained. Jackson sat next to me and Thomas across from me. That boy is getting to be a tall drink of water, over 6 foot tall now and skinny as a rail. He told his granddad he has quit band because they insisted he join marching band this year and he didn't want to be in the marching band. It is too bad after they spent all that money on a horn that he won't get to continue with it. Ever since he has been a toddler, when he would go to some place new he would bring me back a refrigerator magnet. I have a world on my refrigerator and he gave me three more from his world travels this summer, Barcelona, France, and Pompei!! I have stuff from Italy, China ( a ming vase and Costa Rica and Alaska and all over the US. I have this hilarious one from Alaska, which is a bear and it describes things on a car compared to a bear, like the "gas tank" etc. It is really cute. I truly treasure them all. I have a few from Jackson too like Disney World. We are taking the two boys out to dinner tonight to Colettas, our favorite Italian restaurant as their parents are all going on an adult night out.

Please say a prayer for my older sister Alberta. I don't know if I told you or not, but she moved into a very nice retirement home. They provide two meals a day, activities, programs and the like and she has a little private efficiency apartment. The one stupid thing she did was let her bum of a son continue to live in her house instead of just selling it outright and drive her fairly new car. He is supposed to pay the mortgage, but it is in arrears almost three months now as he hasn't paid one drop on it. On top of that, she called me yesterday and when the conversation started she started crying. The living arrangement may not work out as it takes almost every drop of her money. She told me she went to the grocery store on Thursday and spent $100 and she has no more money until the first of the month. I hurried around and sent her $200 in Kroger gift cards and $100 in a WM gift card. Frankly, I love her, but don't trust her not to send money to that bum son of hers if I send her money. I don't know if her dd knows what is what or not. She cannot drive so moving to an apartment by herself is not an option and she is going to lose the house. All I can do is pray that something turns around for her. We have no room for her to come here and frankly she would drive Jack totally nuts. She has three kids and two grown granddaughters so this is not a responsibility I should have to carry, but I love her.

Maggie: Sent the email address to you. I have a couple microwave cooker things, but don't use them much. I imagine they would be great for the RV though.

Jean: I told the lady sitting next to me at the salon my husband was going to flip when he saw the color. Sure enough, I had my feet up in the recliner when he got home yesterday and he walked past and said, "What in heavens name have you done to your toes?" I don't find that I like it much either so I will probably take the stuff off my nails and paint them something else, though I can't do my toes so they are going to have to stay the same until the next time I am in the salon. The trash in this town live and die by WM so they are pretty well stocked with stuff. I hate to have to shop there, but except for the supermarkets that cater to either the Asian, Mexican or black community, we only have Walmart or Krogers for shopping. It is ridiculous for a city this size to only have two choices, one of which is WM.

Everyone have a nice day today. I have to get a bunch of stuff done in the house today. It is a disaster!!!