Old 03-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #16  

Good morning, ladies! A good soaking rain and 54 degrees right now, but supposedly it will be 68 degrees and thunderstorms this afternoon.

I'll be having tea with Glory and Irene today. That is always fun. Glory's birthday was the 7th so I'll be treating her today.

Next Saturday is National Quilting Day and some friends and I are getting together for a pot luck lunch and day of stitching.

Faye, I saw the picture of your bag you posed on FB. Really nice. Are you doing the full plate diet from their website, www.fullplateliving.com? I love their blog. Too many carbs for me. Walmart keeps pita bread in the deli department.

Jean, No store around here keeps pita bread in the bread aisle. Try the in-store bakery or deli department.

Maggie, Feel better soon!

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #17  

Good Morning! It's another sunny, windy morning in my neighborhood. We are supposed to be in the 60s this afternoon. I've got sheets in the washer and that's the extent of my ambition so far. Grilled chicken breasts are on the lunch menu. It's my turn to host crafty club next week so need to decide something sweet to serve, and do some deep corner cleaning.

Maggie, I hope you are feeling much better today!

"Gma," I also saw your beach bag on FB. Cute! I wonder why the color is so off. I have seen the full plate diet advertised. Let us know if it works. I always thought diabetics were supposed to watch sugar intake. I think that must come from Bob's mom making sugar free food for his brother when I joined the family. Bob gets "the lecture" from his doctor, " stay away from potatoes, pasta, and anything else that is white!" The ethnic food sections are taking up more space each time I go to the store. I've run across a couple magazine recipes using pita bread and that's why I was looking for it. Next time I will look till I find it or track down someone who might know.

Susan, tea today and quilting with friends next Saturday sounds like fun. I also think bread crumbs should be kept with the bread and they are in the cake mix aisle. The other day clerks were changing all the different kinds of chips around, and the store was having a big 3 day sale so was really busy. Dumb imo!

I need to check the washer and get my dust rag going. Hope you all enjoy a super Saturday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #18  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN MARCH MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

I felt so good last evening and I thought I was over with what was in my system. But I woke up this morning feeling very lousy and don’t feel like eating anything. It has been so long since I have been sick that I can’t remember what it was that I had.

My Multi-Fuel™ Portable Cooktop arrived today and it is trick. It came in its own carry case and they included a $25 Propane Hose and Regulator and instructions “not to be used inside.” It can be used hunting, camping, fishing, tailgating, bbq, backyards, & emergencies. It has an electronic ignition system so no matches or batteries are required. Yep, I am pleased with it and glad that I ordered it.

JEAN I am not back to exact as of yet abd neither is Will. He cancelled on preaching in Ransome tomorrow so will sit and enjoy hearing the man who is preaching in his stead tomorrow.

SUSAN What fun you have with tea with your friends.

DONNA FAYE It is good that you don't have to run your furnace. When I went to the beach mostly it was to surf and I didn't take anything but my board so really had no need for a "beach bag."

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #19  

Good morning to you all. It is nice and pleasant temp wise but still gloomy with chances of rain.

We are going out in a bit and get work socks and footies and some sand paper so I can work on the mirror. I just didn't feel like going yesterday.

I have done 2 full days of the full plate and so far so good. I made pan roasted brussel sprouts last night and Jack actually tried them and liked them. I won't eat them steamed, but I do like them this way. They have a bit of fat from bacon, just two slices and I used precooked so there isn't as much fat in the pan and add some butter pam instead of butter. The fact my no veg hubby will eat them and actually liked them says something.

Susan: I get the full plate emails everyday and I have the book too so use both of them. We shall see how it goes. Hope you and your friends had a nice tea. Thanks for the pita bread info. DUH I should have thought of that.

Jean: People with diabetes have to control a lot of things including sweets. I would say if you have a hard time controlling your diabetes or if you have consistently high numbers and are on a lot of insulin that no sugar is the best way to go as far as desserts or treats. My blood sugar is well controlled and I rarely eat sweets anyway. My big thing was carbs and controlling the bad ones and I am trying harder to do that with this diet. The doctor is right though about eating white stuff. I quit eating potatoes pretty much, cut out sugar (I use Truvia for anything I want sweetened and sf stuff like syrup,) and limit pasta. I do eat beans, like barley in soups, eat whole wheat products like tortillas or the pita bread, but not every meal. I find that if I start eating sugar, this was way before the diabetic thing came up, that once I started I just kept wanting more and more. I had to have dessert every night, etc. I don't even eat sf desserts because for the most part I don't like them and secondly, don't want to be drawn back into wanting any kind of desserts. I don't have puddings or jellos or anything in the house except for what Jack eats and I don't eat that.

Maggie: Hope you feel better soon. I bought the bag for vacation to take to the pool and on excursions to the resorts. I can carry a lot of stuff and take my Ipad and such to the pool as we pay for wifi use on the ship, mainly to keep an eye on our bank account being gone, but this next year I can really use my Ipad as they have changed their service and it is much, much better from what we have heard.

Everyone have a great day. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #20  

Good Afternoon! The sun is finally peeking out of the clouds and it's very windy in my neighborhood. It's not a nice day to stand around outside. Bob sang at church, we went out for breakfast, and I've changed clothes -- that sums up my day so far plus I've read the paper. I have no ambition to do anything and I will blame it on not sleeping very well last night. I don't know what my problem was but frustrating.

Maggie, glad your cooktop has arrived and you are pleased with it. Feel better soon!

"Gma," I don't think I could get Bob to eat brussle sprouts no matter how I cooked them. I've never looked but are they available with the fresh produce? I could eat pie every day, or freshly baked cookies.

Guess I will do some dusting and maybe a load of laundry. Hope you all enjoyi a relaxing Sunday!
Old 03-16-2015, 06:07 AM   #21  

Good morning to you all. It is so nice not to wake up to freezing temperatures and it being cold in the house. It is supposed to be near 80 today.

My first week on the full plate diet and today is weigh day. Six lbs down for the week. I will certainly take that. I made this stir fry shrimp with garlic sauce last night that was delicious. Takes a bit of prep time, but was worth it for sure. I just used precooked shrimp, canned Chinese vegetables and a can of sliced mushrooms and had everything else on hand.

We went out yesterday to WM to get those socks and as we were walking back to the paint section we saw they had one of those new Shark Rocket vacuums on sale. My current vacuum is getting pretty old so we decided to try it. I love it! It even vacuums solid surface floors like the linoleum and I have never been able to do that with a vacuum. It is a lot lighter than my heavy upright for sure. My upright will just get a new home when we take everything else to Goodwill.

Jean: I would have never ever thought Jack would eat Brussels sprouts either so it pretty much blew me away. He will eat asparagus the way I fix it too, which is pretty amazing. Other than that, I haven't been able to coax him to anything else. I want to make mashed cauliflower tonight like mashed potatoes and we shall see if he is willing to try that. I doubt it. I love pie above all desserts, but usually hate the crusts of a lot of places. I don't like thick crusts.

Well Jack is coming downstairs for breakfast and to get ready to leave for work. You all have a wonderful day and week. Faye
Old 03-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #22  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

☺♫

I absolutely feel awful and I sure wish this would go away and be over with. Some said it lasts a month and others say a couple weeks. This is my 5th day and it is not fun. My sides hurt from coughing, They say this is going rampant around this area. I just thought you would like to know that I am still alive so I am posting this. The gal at the gas station gave Will a couple tea bags of Be Well Red® Teas called to get relaxed and relieve stress. I’ll try a cup after I eat something. Did I say that I feel awful? I hope none of you get this for it it awful. I haven’t been sick in so many years that this hit me with a wham.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #23  

Good Afternoon! It's supposed to be 90 degrees in Sioux City this afternoon! It's 75 here with sort of a hazy sun and very windy. The lake is open again, hard to believe it is March. Crazy weather! Well, I did my "dumb" for the day! I make copies of the checks at church and this morning we had four large business checks, more than usual. The treasurer went to the bank, brought the receipts to me, and went on her merry way. The secretary came in to make a copy and there were two of the big checks still under the copier lid! After I finished my computer work I dropped them off at the bank. The very young teller couldn't understand why they were separate from the rest of the earlier deposit and wanted to re-add the whole pile of checks. Finally, after the third explanation she got it. Whew! The gift shop had a big sale last week so had a bigger than usual deposit there. Now I need to get some towels in the washer and make a "to do" list to get done before Thursday.

"Gma," on losing six pounds last week! Looks like the diet is working for you. I have looked at Shark vacuums; the wand on my vacuum is very unhandy and it's heavy to haul up and down the stairs. It's pain but I spent way too much for it, so can't justify a new one right now. I think Bob has an aversion to "green" vegetables because he thinks Lima beans are little bags of dust and won't eat a pea if he can help it. He will eat green beans, fresh from a garden is best. I've seen cauliflower that is disguised as potatoes on a food site. Let us know how your dish turns out.

Maggie, I'm sorry you still feel so bad! The church secretary was out sick most of last week with the respiratory flu. Her doctor told her it would take a couple weeks to feel better, three or four to be rid of it. She got it from her husband and she said he spent a week on the couch. Not fun for sure!

I need to get busy! Hope you enjoy the rest of a marvelous Monday!
Old 03-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #24  

Good morning to you all. Another lovely day in our neighborhood with temps near 80 but then rain again and drops 20 degrees for a couple days then goes back into the 60's. I have seen buds on the tree on the deck though.

I am going to work at getting my handbags cleaned up and organized and that should be a job. I have a ton of them. I think I am going to hang them by color not by size. Hopefully it won't take too long, but as I said I have a lot of them.

My knee and right leg has been giving me fits for some reason. My knee has had a pain running right across the middle of it and it feeling like someone just sliced it open. My calf and thigh have been really achy lately so along with the shoulder, which is gradually getting better, I am laying off the chair gym for a bit as maybe it is the reason.

I am making pork bbq for dinner tonight. Jack gets sandwich but I am going to skip the bread and no tots for me. I am going to have veggies just haven't decided what yet. Maybe some peas tonight with a salad on the side.

Jean: The mashed cauliflower is out!!! I like cauliflower just the way it is and last night was icky. It takes the flavor out of it and it just tastes like mush. I am going to stick to just cooking it and eating it the way it comes out of the freezer. I don't buy it fresh as it is difficult to find here and Jack won't eat it so I don't want a bunch leftover. Our upright was expensive too, but the thing is really heavy and I can't vacuum the stairs with it. Maybe one day we can afford to just rip the carpet off the stairs and get them refinished, but for now I have to vacuum them, which is a pain. this one comes apart and much easier to use. I like the head swiveling too. I can get under stuff I couldn't with the upright. Glad your check messed finally got cleared up.

Everyone have a great Tuesday. Faye
Old 03-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #25  

Good Afternoon! The weatherman was right when he said it would be colder today! In the two plus hours we played cards last night, the temperature dropped 25 degrees. The wind blew all night and is still going strong. The sun is shining which makes it look warmer than it is. I spent the morning sorting through the paper/magazine pile. Wish there was some way to eliminate junk mail! This afternoon I am bonding with the dust rag and vacuum. Tomorrow is cleaning bathrooms and fixing a dessert of some sort. So far I have three coming and two who cannot; I wonder what the other five will do?

"Gma," it is only 39 degrees here right now. It was a shirt sleeve kind of day yesterday, Sioux City did hit a record of 90. I think I would just as soon eat my cauliflower raw. I know it's more expensive but our one grocery store has started packaging fresh veggies in ready to eat sandwich size bags. They are perfect for one person and two meals, or two people and one meal. They even have chopped peppers and onions, etc. I buy those whole because we will use all of them. I hope your knee and leg feel better. I just got an email from my cousin and she is having a knee replaced in a couple weeks. She is 64 and has gradually had more pain and less mobility for about a year. Bob's farmer friend had his gall bladder removed yesterday, same day surgery and home in the afternoon. Modern medicine . . . .

"Break time" is over and I need to keep moving! Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 03-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #26  

Good morning everyone. Cooler here this morning in the upper 40's and supposed to hit 60 today. We are supposed to get rain this evening I guess. Jack just left for work so begins the day.

I am doing a load of laundry and going to try again and tackle what I wanted to do upstairs yesterday. I just didn't get up there to work on it.

I put a reservation in online last week for Easter Sunday for a brunch we usually go to with the kids. I never got a confirmation so called and was told I had to leave a message for the event coordinator, which I did. By the time she called me back, my reservation request wasn't available so we had to take 1 PM, which means it will be mega crowded and there isn't a lot of moving around room in this restaurant anyway. At least there is plenty of vegg choices and fresh fruit for me to choose from and I can get salmon or cold shrimp if I like. This is a New Orleans chain so lots of fatty food I have to steer clear of like Bananas Foster! At least we have a reservation I guess, but if they don't want to do online reservations, why do they have it on the website?

So far I am doing great with this diet. I am not doing low carb, but I am doing slow carb because of the diabetes. I read multiple things online about what carbs were ok to eat if you were diabetic. I don't overload, but I do eat beans, peas and corn as far as veggies are concerned. We are having steak tonight, but I am cutting mine in half and only having 4 oz with asparagus and brussel sprouts. It is a bit easier for me than a lot of people because I am not a big cheese eater or potato eater. I would eat homemade bread or rolls until they are gone though. I do need to get some whole grain bread when I want something other than pita bread for a sandwich though.

Jean: Knee is much better this morning as is the leg. It will probably be "yelling" at me tonight though because of the rain. I have to get below 225 before I can have surgery on my knee where it stay fixed. So what dessert did you go with? I see all kinds of stuff people post on FB, but yet have one that is really any good. The big thing going around at the moment is cinnamon roll pancakes. I buy those individual bags and the ready made stuff too. I know they are more expensive, but I figure if you buy regular and it ends up in the garbage how are you saving money? I did use my food saver for avocados yesterday. I had ripened two of them so I used one half then took the other three halves and food saved them. We shall see how they do. Avocados are notoriously hard to keep fresh. I made guacamole with the half yesterday and had triscuit with it. My guacamole doesn't have a bunch of fatty stuff other than the avocado itself, just diced tomato, garlic powder, a pinch of salt and a little lemon juice. Great way to get fiber and a good source of good fat too.

Well enough blabbing. My washer just finished. Have a good Wednesday. Faye
Old 03-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #27  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

☺♫

I am a bit better today but not back to exact though. This is my 7th day of this crud which lasts a week up to 4 weeks. Hopefully this is my last day.

Will took all my glass village that I am selling down to the gun shop where the owner has a glass case cleared out just for the village. He volunteered to sell them for me and thinks his wife will want to buy some more to add to the ones she already purchased. Whether she does or not some folks will be interested in them. I am keeping the couple ones I want to use in the MH. If they all don’t sell by the time we leave here he can sell them in time and forward the money to us. I would rather have him sell them than put them on the internet to be sold.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #28  

Good Afternoon! The sun has been trying to shine through the cloud cover but it doesn't look promising. The wind is blowing and it's chilly outside. My spice cake is out of the oven and now I have to decide what to do with it, as in frosting, glaze, whip cream, or what. Any suggestions? I'm finding places that haven't seen a dust rag for a long time. I have bell practice later, and I need to go over my "to do" list to see what I've forgotten.

"Gma," I have tried to send an email to the mortuary where my cousin's service is to be, and it never goes anywhere. Her obit still isn't online so guess I will have to call them. Sometimes the Internet drives me nutty -- most of the time in fact! I was surprised to see that Internet Explorer is going by the wayside. I hope your Easter brunch will still have lots of food choices for your time slot. Since Wonder Bread bit the dust, we haven't had any "good" bread choices. One store has really downsized their bread selection and it's mostly their brand. I made a spice cake; really wanted to do cherry but know not everyone likes cherry. I've had three say they will be late but plan to come. Why bother imo?

Maggie, hope your crud is the "lasts a week" kind. I'm sure people will be tickled with their glass village purchases. You put a lot of work in the different pieces.

I need to keep moving. Enjoy the rest of a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 03-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #29  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday & a Very Nice Cool Day

☺♫

I feel much better today but am still not back to exact but I can see the end of the tunnel now. I don’t have any plans of doing anything today. Will is at the museum for he feels better and just has a few coughs left. He is a day ahead of me so I can see tomorrow I will be so much closer to the end of this. I sure hope none of you get this for it is miserable.

We bought Beanie one of those Wobble Wag Giggle™ balls and he is having a wonderful time of playing with it. It is his outside toy and he really goes after it all over the back yard. I think he would drive me nuts if he could bring it inside.

JEAN Spice cake with vanilla frosting is yummy.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:17 PM   #30  

Good Evening! It's been a long day! I spent the morning finishing up my " to do" list because what I had planned to do last night didn't happen. I was too tired to keep going. Two, out of a possible eleven came for crafty club. Another one who said she would be late because of a hair appt. never did come. All I can say is I have squeaky clean bathrooms which no one used, and most of a bundt cake left! We had a meeting at church tonight that lasted longer than usual. We are an overnight host town for the bike ride across Iowa (RAGRRAI) and began discussing a menu to feed the hungry riders. They are anticipating 12,000 riders, and 2-3,000 support staff. Other churches and organizations will also provide food at their locations.

Maggie, glad you are feeling better! I ended up making a cream cheese glaze for the cake. It wasn't thin enough so a cross between frosting and a glaze -- good though. Bob is taking most of it to the office tomorrow!

So, I am ready to head to bed! Have a fantastic Friday on tomorrow!