Old 02-26-2015, 08:12 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias ~ #104

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It was a cold and windy day today and I went out to Wal•Mart to get some veggies that I prepare and put in baggies and have one each day around 3 O’Clock as a smart snack that is good for me.

I was busy most morning cleaning out my mail program on this computer. I shouldn’t let stuff build up like that because it takes tine to clean it out. I have decided to di it at least once each day before shutting the computer down.

We are waiting for the weather to get warmed up a bit before we start loading the MH. I will get in it first and line all the shelves with non skid stuff made for RV’s. It is great stuff that keeps things set right where you put it and dishes don’t slip and slide. We will be using mostly metal plates and plastic ones also and plastic tumblers to drink out of. I got a neat set of bowls with a small separated area that will hold dip or dressing depending on what is in the larger part to be eaten. I have some other nice plates and bowls now for they have sure improved the looks of them now. Our main plates will be our blue speckled metal ones made by Coleman®.

The things that will be in the basement (the cupboards along the bottom of the sides of the MH) are in nice plastic boxes with tight fitting lids. The things I will be putting in the cupboards inside will be carried out there in open boxes and we can unload them and come back for some more “stuff.”

HOWDY all you Magnolias!

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #2  

Maggie, thanks for starting the new thread. I didn't notice the count when I posted. It looks like you have had a busy day! Do you have the motorhome at the house so you can start loading it? Wish you could send some warmer weather this way. It's -3 with a wind chill of -15", and heading on down as the night goes on.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 AM   #3  

Good morning to you all. Poor Jack. He got up before his alarm yesterday and turned it off. You got it, he forgot to turn it back on and he went flying out of bed about 5:30, which gives him half an hour before he has to leave. He got off alright, but not without a hitch. He got showered and dressed, came downstairs, fixed his meds and took them and got his lunchtime soda and packed it and made a container of juice for breakfast since he said he was going to pick something up from McD's and he is going to buy lunch as they have an hour today as it is payday. He put on his clothes and shoes and coat and I reminded him to unlock the gate. He kissed me, I gave him the same thing I always give him every morning, "Be careful and have a nice day." He always replies, "Always," and he was out the door. Knock, knock, knock.....I got up to open the locked door and handed him the car keys! I reminded him again to unlock the gate.

I got my medic alert bracelet and it is really cute. It is a pretty rose gold with along flat alert part, the underside has my name, my disease and ICE with Jack's phone number. The bracelet is little hearts and it fits me perfectly.

Got ahold of the dr's office and made my regular dr appt. Her new schedule just came out yesterday and I still can't get in until the 25th, which isn't a big deal, but how the heck did it fill up so fast?

It is 8 degrees wind chill this morning and very chilly of course but dry. We are done with that kind of weather I think. It starts to warm up over the weekend and except for some rain the weather will be decent and much warmer. I am so ready for spring.

I'm going to check with Kelly and see if she wants me to go ahead and book the sewing workshop as they only take 6 per session and one person has already booked. She can't do April or May so we need to get March booked if we are going to go. We make two pillow cases and a pot holder and they have the fabric all cut and you choose so I hope they have something I might use for sofa pillows for the new colors for the living room. With my luck it will be some ghastly color.

Susan: I feel for you. We are in the same situation here except we have no snow plows just a few salt trucks. I remember snow in Va Beach. It comes to a standstill with a couple inches like it does here. We actually moved into base housing in the snow once in Va Beach and it was a nightmare. People that live in the south have no clue how to drive even in small amounts of snow and think they will starve to death if the snow is one the ground more than a day. It is sad but also funny. My poor sister hasn't been out of her house in probably 2-3 months because they have had almost continual snow and very cold temps. She is on oxygen and uses a walker so is confined to the house in that kind of weather. Makes her understandably very grumpy.

Maggie: Good luck with your continual plans with the MH. I know you have to be getting anxious.

Jean: No, Thomas is going by himself both to Italy and Greece and to Spain. They are both school sponsored trips, one is not class related the other is his Spanish class. The kid has certainly been all over the world, Costa Rica, Egypt, China, Holland, Tanzania, the Caribbean, etc, etc. Doesn't give you much time to perfect your bell song does it? Hopefully it will go well first time around. Stay warm!!!

Everyone have a great weekend. Jack has coffee with Kel tomorrow morning then we have commissary weekend. Whoopee! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #4  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it's -10 right now. We are supposed to get more snow tomorrow and Sunday. I don't want any more snow and I want it warm enough to melt what we have! I hope the weather guru hears my request wherever he is hiding. I need to vacuum and pick up a little. We tried to carry the loveseat out to the garage and the railing isn't removable so the delivery guys will have to take it out the back door and through the garage -- too far for me to help carry it. They may have to bring the new one in the same way. I need to make a grocery and WM list for either this afternoon or early tomorrow morning.

"Gma," poor Jack! What a way to start the day. Hopefully the rest of his day goes better. Bob woke me up in the middle of the night; he was giving somebody the "what for" in no uncertain terms. I poked him first and then nudged him with my foot. Of course, he doesn't remember. I had a weird dream about a couple from church. She is very heavy with multiple health issues plus being diabetic. She is always baking, cooking, or fixing food of some kind and posts it on FB. Last night she was in my kitchen making German potato salad which is what she takes to pot lucks. When you said you would be making a pillowcase, my first thought was a bed pillow type. It would be nice if it is something you could use on your new sofa. Our bell director lives out in the country on a gravel road and about another 12-13 miles from town. I hope if the weather is bad she will cancel. I am playing one of the tiny bells in addition to my big bells. It's so light I almost launch it after being used to the heavier bells. There won't be many in the congregation if the weather is bad.

I need to keep moving. Hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday!
Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies! A balmy 40 degrees so I hope the snow is melting. We had 3 more inches yesterday. Sunday we are supposed to have rain!

I'm really antsy to get to the quilt show. Our road is all packed down and some kind person cleaned off my car so I'm going to venture out about 3 and go for a few hours. I'm completely out of cat litter so I have to go to the store. I thought I had another box in the closet, but alas I had already used it.

Faye, The slippers you made me are still keeping my feet nice and toasty. I think of you every day when I put them on.

Jean, I thought it would be a bed pillowcase, too. I've made them for all the holidays just to keep myself happy. I always have 6 pillows on my bed - 2 that match the sheets, 2 with shams and 2 with whatever. I sleep on 2-3 pillows so I can breath easier.

Maggie, I know you can't wait to see how nice the MH is outfitted when you are though arrainging everything. What fun!

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Fantastic Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is a chilly day and we are scheduled for snow tonight and all day tomorrow but they say it will be very light and possibly all that time we may just get 1 to 2 inches.

I am looking forward to the time when the weather warms up so we can go to the range and pop a few caps. I have a long gun that I haven’t even shot yet and I need to get it sighted in so when I go hunting I can hit what I aim at.

Awhile back I got the neatest bacon keepers that they claim that they keep bacon longer than other ways to store it. Anyway I will see how they work for I am going to use them before putting them in the MH. I put some bacon in one and some lunch meat in the other and see how they work.

We are planning on going out for breakfast for dinner at I-Hop and I am thinking of ordering a couple boiled eggs a small slice of ham and some cottage cheese and tomato slices and dry sour dough toast. I have done that before there and they were happy to do that for me and also bring be some salsa.

JEAN We are waiting until the weather gets better to bring the MH over so I have stuff in covered boxes that will go in it sitting around. I am with you and don't want anymore snow then I think of the farmers around that need the moisture for their crops and are thankful for it.

SUSAN I hope you have a wonderful time at the Quilt Show for that is a good outing for you to attend.

DONNA FAYE No, I can't say that I am anxious. I have done this before and more or less know what to do and am better at it this time.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:50 AM   #7  

Good morning gals. Another chilly morning here but we are dry which I am thankful for.

I slept terribly last night and am shaky this morning so need to check my bs as soon as I am done here just to be sure it was from not sleeping well. That happens to be me every once in awhile.

I have to work on a menu and grocery list this morning for shopping tomorrow. Jack isn't going to have coffee this morning as she has an evening engagement she is afraid she will be too tired for if she has coffee with her dad. Whatever.

Jack had the pull thing off his side of the recliner come off last night so now the foot rest won't come up. We paid almost $2000 for this piece of junk and I have hated it the whole time. It is a Lazy Boy and it hasn't lasted even 5 years. I have had cheap recliners last longer. He doesn't want to spend the money right now so guess he will sit in it without the foot rest up unless he can fix it.

Maggie: I like to buy precooked bacon for us. I like to just pop it into the microwave and voila it's done. I buy the little jars of real crumbled bacon if I want to put tiny bacon in food. Hope you enjoy your keeper.

Susan: Glad you like your slippers and they have lasted. The reason I thought they might be sofa pillows or at least non sleeping bed pillows for decoration is because they said "envelope flap pillow." We shall see how they come out. Hopefully I will catch on quickly. I do know the rudiments, it is learning to control tension and speed and then things like threading needles, winding bobbins and such.

Everyone have a great day. I think I will make myself a cup of tea. I have started drinking several kinds of tea during the day, oolong, white, green and something called rooibah I think. The last one smells a bit odd, but doesn't taste bad. Supposedly, Dr Oz says they can help with digestion, cholesterol and losing weight depending on the tea. I know they won't hurt me and will provide more water to my diet so.... Faye
Old 02-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #8  

Good morning, ladies! 26 degrees and not going to get much above freezing today.

I went to the quilt show late yesterday afternoon and spent 3 hours looking at the quilts and looking at what the vendors have to sell. I don't buy until Sunday so I have looked at everything and don't end up spending all my quilt show budget and then finding something I really want badly.

Faye, you're right - it probably is a decorative pillow since it says envelope style. I love all kinds of tea and have a lot since friends keep giving it to me. The Rooibah is from Africa and considered a red tea. I like it a lot but my very favorite is Earl Grey. In the morning I often have Builder's Tea which is a very strong tea from England. I get it at the World Market.

Maggie, I have 2 bacon keepers that I got from Tupperware about 40 years ago. They do a good job with that and lunch meat.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining but it's been another cold windy day. So far no snow but the Internet says 40% chance during the night. I hope not! It would be nice not to have to battle snow in the morning when it's still dark. I've done some laundry and picked up the clutter again. We polished and put new handles on the top row of cupboards after lunch. We'll do the bottom ones and drawers tomorrow. I was embarrassed at the thick layer of dust on a top shelf! I have to stand on a chair to reach it so since I can't see it, I don't think about it. I had a phone call from my only guy cousin this afternoon. We have another cousin, in CA, who is dying of cancer. It has spread to her kidneys so not good. Her husband called with the news. I had seen some posts on Facebook but we kind of lost touch with each other after my dad died. I didn't know for sure where she lived, or how far from the wedding site, so didn't attempt to contact her.

Susan, I'm glad you were able to go to the quilt show. I drink a lot of tea during the winter months. I must admit that WM has a better selection than either grocery store. I like the Bigelow fruit flavors, but also The Republic of Tea brand. I've ordered from them and they send a sample in each catalog. I really like that as it saves me from ordering something I didn't like. Sioux Falls has a World Market and it's fun to shop there.

Maggie, I have the Tupperware bacon keepers too! I'd hate to guess how old they are, but they still work fine. Our summer weather forecast is for dryer than normal. What moisture we got last summer won't do much good to even get a good start for planting this spring.

"Gma," I hope Jack can fix the handle on the recliner. Our loveseat was a Lazy Boy and the most uncomfortable piece of furniture from day one. Our recliner is also a LB and I am pleased witht the way the fabric has held up. It's a larger size so it hits me wrong on my neck, unless I flip that back. It doesn't get used every day so that might help. Have you seen the Dr. Oz magazine? I got an invitation (?), in the mail, to order it. I hit and miss watching him, more miss than hit.

It's nice to see everyone's posts this afternoon! Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day and evening!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:39 AM   #10  

Good morning ladies. Still not spring weather but warmer than it has been for sure. It is upper 30's right now.

I just paid for Kelly and I's sewing workshop. Brother they dollar you to death. Besides the $75 for the class, you have to pay for their fabric, their needle, their bobbins, and their thread. You can only use I believe it is called Metler thread and of course it isn't sold at most places but they have it so I will have to purchase it there along with all the other stuff. This is a mom and pop place so I am sure their prices are higher than say Joanns. I did order myself a pair of very nice left handed shears. I have no left handed scissors and besides the ones I have here are used for everything so I wanted a pair just for sewing and a pair that were specifically left handed. I read 57 reviews and only a couple not 4-5 stars so I figured they were good as they were all sewers. Susan, you should know the brand is Red Dot and they are 8 1/2" shears. I sure hope I love sewing after spending all this money!

Today is the dreaded commissary day. So we will head out around 8:30 to go get groceries. It was military and retiree payday Friday so I hope it isn't nuts there today.

Jack got his new gps yesterday and so he fooled with it all afternoon and evening. It has a much bigger screen than the old one and does everything but cook breakfast so I guess it will be ok.

Susan: I know what you mean about shows like that. If you have a budget for spending you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket right away. I do look forward to learning how to quilt. Kelly said she thought when we do make the quilt we should send it away to be bound as that is the hardest part. Me, I have no idea what she is talking about so will go with the flow when we make the quilt down the line. I didn't find a lot of difference in taste of the teas, but each one has a different property for health I guess. Like I said they can't hurt you so even if you see no rewards particularly you can enjoy the tea. I have bought flavored teas before and enjoyed them. I am not a big peppermint tea person though I like the taste of peppermint.

Jean: Nope, can't be fixed. The little pull out thing on the side snapped right off. It was the first thing I asked him and he showed me where the plastic just snapped off. We are getting rid of it when we get rid of all the other furniture anyway. I have always hated the thing and don't like the pull out disc style handles for the very reason of what happened. I like the side bar at the bottom style but they are harder to find. I am not going to buy more expensive style furniture. We bought a couch 13 years ago at an inexpensive furniture store and it is like brand new except for where Butterscotch took to the front of the one side and pulled out the braiding piece a bit. I know I will never buy another Lazy Boy piece ever again. I noticed an online article about the number of building roofs collapsing over the heavy amounts of snow. I guess an ice rink roof collapsed with kids and parents in the building but they got out.

Well girls you all have a great day. Faye
Old 03-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #11  

Happy March! The sun has been in and out all day, but it's 37 degrees and feels like a heat wave! My day started early at 5; I hate being rushed in the morning and left for church at 7. I played the tiny bell without launching it and really had to concentrate to watch both treble and bass chefs when I usually just play bass. I finally high lighted the few high notes in bright pink! Bob finished the cupboards and we are one handle short! I'm just sure we counted right but will have to make a trip to Menards soon. I've done a load of laundry and started reading the paper. I'm almost out of outside cat food so need to make a WM run before it gets dark.

"Gma," I've never heard of Metler thread. I know when classes are offered in stores here, in the past, they expect you to buy the supplies from them. I just know you will enjoy the class! Too bad we don't live closer so the guys could work on the chair together. Bob likes nothing better than to figure out how to take something apart and fix it. I can't think of anything he has tried and not had success. Like he says, "it may not be pretty, but it will work!" The paperwork with my new couch said not to let pets on it because pet hair is hard on upholstery. Ernie and Sonny don't understand. It also said to vacuum weekly. Hmmmmm, maybe that will happen and maybe not.

Bob said he would go to WM with me so we're off! Enjoy the rest of your day and think "spring!"
Old 03-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #12  

Good morning, ladies. 35 degrees and going into the 40s today. It rained yesterday and Wednesday it's supposed to be in the 60s so hopefully this snow will melt.

I'm taking Glory to the eye doctor this afternoon and I'm going to Yoga this morning.

Faye, Joann Fabrics sells Mettler thread. It is from Germany. I use it a lot. It's common for stores to want you to buy your supplies from them. Around here a 6-hour class is $50. At the quilt show it was $75. Quilting cotton can be anywhere from $12 to $20 a yard now. You don't want to use cheap fabric in any sewing fabric for it just gives you fits, especially with fraying, and is flimsy. I have a Queen Anne style Lazy Boy recliner that we have had for more than 20 years and it still works well.

Jean, Good thinking to highlight the high notes for your bell!

Have a wonderful day!
Old 03-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all. Looks like more and more rain and possibly more icy rain and snow on Wednesday. Tomorrow is supposed to be near 70. How crazy this weather is.

Right after I posted yesterday I discovered my drain had come out. I called my surgeon and he wanted me to go to the ER and have it totally removed. The thing fell out while I was waiting but they did an xray so nothing was left inside. I will just see him tomorrow for my regular appt.

Well I decided to just go ahead and buy a machine. I got the same one that Kelly has. I figured if I had to pay rental twice it would be $120 so I might as well buy a machine. So Kelly gifted me the machine! She said it would be a combo birthday and Christmas gift. Lovely thing to do.

Susan: Kelly thought when we get to the point of making a quilt, we should make a paper piecing one. I looked online and they have some lovely quilt patterns for beginners. How are you and Glory doing with your cataract surgeries? I hear they can work miracle these days.

Jean: Jack has so little patience sometimes and I am not sure he wants to tackle messing with this chair. I am just irritated it was very expensive and didn't hold up. I agree with Susan that it is a great idea to highlight the high bells to separate from the others. I don't know how you keep track and admire you for playing such beautiful music.

Everyone have a great day. Faye
Old 03-02-2015, 05:51 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! It's a gloomy windy day in my neighborhood. We balanced first time this morning and then I balanced with the deposit so all was good at church. I also counted and made the gift shop deposit after lunch. I made the trip to WM because of food for the outside cats. We are to get freezing drizzle and snow tonight. I have an evening meeting tonight and was kind of hoping the weather would start early enough to cancel. On a sadder note, my cousin in CA died last night. She was a dog breeder so her FB is loaded with comments.

Susan, hope your trip to the eye doctor and yoga was between rain drops! We could use a good warm rain to wash away the grubby snow.

"Gma," I'm glad the drain coming out didn't cause any more trouble than a trip to the ER. What kind of sewing machine will you get? I have an OLD cabinet one that will be going to a new home sometime. I also have a portable that I'd like to put in a cabinet as soon as I have the other one gone. We circle our notes that we play for bells. I went to a workshop years ago and several others from different choirs highlighted their notes. The only problem is that if we ever give up a bell, or get a new one, the music markings are permanent. My music has my own notes about switching hands, or what's on the next page if I have to turn quick and play, accidental sharps or flats, etc. sometimes I will copy the first line on the next page and tape it to the previous page if I have continuous notes to play. We all just do our own thing that might make no sense to someone else.

I need to put my gift shop paperwork away for another week and think about something for a quick supper. I'm hoping for a short meeting tonight! Enjoy your evening!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all. It is misty and foggy this morning and in the 50's. I got hot with my jacket on so took it off running around town.

I went to the dr apt and have to go back in 10 days. I figure if fluid doesn't start in again I will have the 10 day apt then one more and will be done as long as nothing else occurs. I left there and went to Target and picked up my new sewing box and decided I needed to walk around. Unfortunately, walking around made me discover the great necklaces that match the outfits I bought for my alumni banquet so bought three all the same in different colors. I also bought the boys Easter cards. I wandered back to automotive on the off change they had those seatbelt stoppers as the drivers side fell off and disappeared so the latch hook falls clear to the floor and you have to dig around at the bottom to find the darn thing to hook up your seatbelt. No such luck but found the craft section which had paint and primer in little plastic jars and they had a light green and a light yellow so bought a jar of each and artists brushes and painters tape. I am going to paint this huge square mirror I have that was above the fireplace. I bought it probably 20 years ago at a Home Interior party and it is this gold and greenish blue mess on the frame. I am going to look for some cool patterns and paint the frame green and yellow for the new house color décor. I decided I had better get out of the store as I spent $90 on my Target credit card. Bummer I had just paid if off! I then went to the ATM and got money out to put in Thomas's Easter card. We are having lunch with he and his mom on Sunday and since he leaves for Europe next week I am going to give him his card early so he has that money to take with him. I then went to Auto Zone but they didn't have the seatbelt thingies either so came home. I put everything away and sat down here at the computer and put the receipts in my checkbook and ordered those stoppers online. They have gone up $2.00 each but I ordered 6 anyway as this is the second time I have had to replace the darn things. Of course I couldn't stop there and ordered this tennis shoe cleaning stuff for my Keds and I wanted a pair of pink earrings and found a cute pair so added that on. I wanted a clutch handbag for the alumni banquet and for vacation formal nights next year on the ship and found a reasonable one so into the virtual cart it went. I hurriedly checked out before I could think of anything else!!!

Yesterday was my first day with my chair gym. I did 20 minutes and it went ok, but using all the muscles including abdomen ones kicked my hyperplasia up so I started spotting and cramping. Sheesh! I am glad I ordered an extra set of bands from a different place because the leg ones were barely long enough to go around my ankle and because of that I couldn't get them to connect to the chair but the extra set were great. The chair is a bit narrow for my big heiny but that is ok. I did find out I need to put on non skid shoes as I did them in my footies and the piece in the front where you place your feet is slippery in sock feet so from now one I will put on shoes. All in all I liked it and you do get a good workout with it I must say. They have 15 minutes and 45 and hour workouts on dvd plus light, medium and hard resistance so you can work your way up. I imagine I am going to be on the light awhile and just spend more time on each rep as I go along.

Jean: We are supposed to get up to around 70 today then by noon tomorrow it is supposed to start raining then sleet and ice then snow and cold weather for a couple days then warm up into the 50's and 60's. Brother I just want steady spring temps and warm weather. I want to start wearing sandals. This is the one I bought. It is the same as Kelly's and got excellent Good Housekeeping reviews.

Everyone have a great day. Faye