Old 01-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #16  

Good Afternoon! It's a CRAPPY weather day in my neighborhood! It was -11 when I came downstairs this morning. There wasn't much money to count at church so we were done in record time. After church I went to the grocery store, mostly because the weatherman said we were in for some bad weather starting around noon. Bob's truck was being worked on so I picked him up at his office, stopped at the hospital for the gift shop money, and headed home. He took my car and went back to the office. The snow flakes started falling right after lunch, and for once, it looks like the weatherman might be right. We're to get 5 - 9" of snow and stronger winds tonight. Schools let out right after lunch which was smart. We went back to pick up the truck and there are places of blowing heavy snow I couldn't see the edge of the road. I would hate to be driving in the country! I'm guessing, by looking at the deck, we've got 3+" by now. The advisory is until noon tomorrow. I've been cleaning out the fridge before some of the leftovers crawl out on their own. Yuck! I fixed a salad for supper, and need to count the gift shop money.

"Gma," to you and Jack for being back on your eating plan! I wish I could find someone who would cook, and deliver, meals. One of the teachers who retired, did do that when her children were little, except people had to pick up the meal at her house. Sometimes her husband would deliver if the weather was bad. Cooking, and cleaning up afterwards, isn't on my favorite thing to do list. I asked Bob if he had any whiskey stashed away. (He didn't.) I remember my dad mixing honey and whiskey for a cold.

Maggie, to you for being back on your Almased plan! I've been craving crunchy so have been eating lots of celery. It's nice to have sweet smelling dogs. Sonny has started taking his naps on Bob's lap. Bob says his breath smells like a camel. I don't know how Bob would know what a camel smells like.

Susan, hope all is ok with you. You have been mia too long!

Hope you are all toasty warm and enjoyed sunshine today. Anyone watching the Iowa bachelor tonight? I don't usually watch it but want to see him after all the hype in our state newspaper. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:51 AM   #17  

Good morning to you all. I got up and went to the bathroom and couldn't get back to sleep. It is really cold here this morning, but unlike Jean no snow thank goodness. Of course we are not below zero windchill either but for us it is cold.

I have a dr appt again this morning so we shall see what he says about fluid buildup. I sure hope not. I don't want to have to go to the hospital again even for what they would do.

My sister texted me and said my niece has the H1-N1 flu and is really sick. She works for the news corporation in South Bend in accounting and since it is again tax time they are business getting that stuff going so she wasn't staying home. I hope she does now.

I did not get my downstairs cleaned like I had planned just the laundryndone yesterday. I was having a lot of trouble with my knee and the ankle on that same leg and having trouble getting around so figured I would wait until tomorrow when I am home all day again.

Maggie: I defintely want to get a vacuum sealer, but we have to get our storage problem solved before I do that. We buy the small bags of salad mix too, but if they a just a bit not fresh they go bad so fast if we don't eat them everyday.

Jean: I do not envy you your snow. I hope Bob getting out and blowing snow won't make his cold worse. I did not see the Bachelor episode. We watch Blue Blood reruns on WGN until 5 pm then usually shut off the tv now that football is pretty ,ich over thank goodness! I do watch Rizzoli and Isles when it is being broadcast, but they don't start up again until next month. At one time a few years ago, Jack and I thought of doing that, cooking for others. I then started having these intestinal issues and surgeries and that went out the window. Standing for a long time or walking for a while causing muscle cramping in my groin. I can't even cook anything for us if it takes a lot of standing. I do go and get my computer chair and will sit down in the kitchenif it is something Imhave to stir a lot or something. It is irritating, but nothing I can do to change it so just have to deal.

Susan: We miss you and hope you are well.

Everyone keep safe and warm today! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #18  

Good Afternoon! It's another very cold day in my neighborhood. The sun has been trying to peek through the cloud cover but don't think that is going to happen. Colder yet tomorrow, and one day closer to spring! I've been doing end of the year organizing of the gift shop papers. Some I can pitch and some I have to save. Bob is out of town (I think) to get some papers signed. He is moving money around and has to sign lots of papers, for both companies, to do so. The guy from his head office agreed to meet him half way, at McDonald's no less, rather than trust the USPS. I need to make a trip to the bank, and should make a WM run. I found a doll outfit I bought for Zowie and forgot to give it to her for Christmas. I could save it for her birthday in May, but she may not be into dolls by then.

"Gma," I will be anxious about what your doctor had to say this morning. There have been two Iowa children die from the flu. Bad stuff! I hope your neice recovers quickly. Bob feels better yet today. He isn't coughing as much, although I did hear him when he first came to bed last night. I drank a Coke in the afternoon, and had a hard time going to sleep. Not sure it was the Coke, but that was the only thing I could think of. Sometimes I can drink caffeine in the evening and it has no effect whatsoever, other times I don't feel like I slept all night. Hope your knee feels better.

I need to fold towels from the dryer and get the next load going. Hope you all are enjoying a nice day!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #19  
Thin Within

Talking Thuesday & a Very Nice Cool Day

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JANUARY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It is a lovely day in the low temps today but the wind isn’t blowing. We have been out and about and I got another container of Almased®. I use 9 servings during these 3 days. It actually costs less than if I were eating cooked meals.

When the weather improves I am looking forward to making a meal in my Can Cooker Jr. We got the smaller size because the large size just cooks too much for a crowd. For those of you who aren’t familiar with it ~ it looks like a cream can used by dairy folks but is reinforced so the bottom won’t fall out. Can Cooker can be used to cook on any heat source including campfire, camp stove, propane stove, charcoal grill, gas grill, stove top, etc. I have quite a few recipes that can be cooked in it plus they send me a recipe a month. We like cooking outside when the weather permits. I just may make a meal using it on my inside cook stove before the weather gets so we can cook outside. Generally meals are done in 25 to 30 minutes. Works like convection cooking with steam.

DONNA FAYE I hope you get a good report from your doc.

JEAN It is said we are going to get colder the rest of the week here and across the country. Will has been sucking Cold EEze and it has surely helped for he is much much better. We always keep some on hand,

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #20  

Good morning to you all. It is pretty cold here this morning and temps are going to go down, not up. I sure hope Jack doesn't have to work in it today as the wind is supposed to make the temps really bad.

Going to attempt to tackle the downstairs today. I just feel like I am spinning my wheels until next month when we order the rolling commercial storage shelving. Since I am ordering 4 and have the pantry, we should be all set with regards to storage then. Right now it looks like the dining room has blown up. The table is covered in small appliances and canisters I bought to store flour and such in. We have to get rid of two tvs, the treadmill and table and chairs in there to make room. I have stuff in the living room that has to go too, but it isn't so much of an emergency. That other room combined with terrible kitchen storage has finally driven me nuts. I tend to be a neatnik and I have had to really keep myself in check and bide my time until we could get these things. They aren't cheap and I wanted to get them all together so I just had to wait for abit. The time has come though I feel for Jack as the things weigh 103 lbs apiece and he has to put it together, otherwise they would be totally out of our price range.

Dr said I may have some fluid, but not much. He wants to watch it for another week and see how it does. He just doesn't not want to put in a drain unless it is last resort as infection can be pretty high. He said he would aspirate again next week if it is filled up again before he considers he drain and I am ok with that. It isn't painful other than laying on my back for a long time and flat so I get dizzy when I sit up. Jack is going with me next week as I think he wants to talk to the dr about this. I don't think he thinks I am telling him everything, but I am. So, if it will make him feel better to talk to him I am all for it.

Maggie: I have never been very successful with drinking meals. I hope they do great for you. I am like Jean, I have to chew, chew, chew.

Jean: My friends from Kansas City said they are freezing to death and Jay and Alicia have some really bad weather up there way too. Of course my sister who lives in AZ said it is supposed to be 81 there today! Hope Bob got all of his papers signed sealed and delivered so to speak and you have all your gift shop paperwork all in order now. You would think with the computer age we would have less paper, but it doesn't seem to be so. We fear I think unless we have something in our hands.

You all have a great day. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-07-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #21  

Good Morning! It's another cold morning, -10 with a high of 2 maybe. The sun is shining brightly and I don't plan to go out until bell practice later this afternoon. Have lots of clutter paper piles to sort through. Will pitch most of them unless I charged something "big" on a credit card and then I will save that. I could chase some fur bunnies too, and I'm sure I could put together a load of laundry.

Maggie, I'm ready for it to be warm enough to grill outside again! Have fun with the can cooker! Bob says he feels better than he sounds. I notice he is still cat napping if he sits still long enough.

"Gma," I need to go through cupboards and get rid of things I no longer use. I have a lot of "old" Tupperware from the days of the parties. Some still look brand new and I use them once in awhile. Sounds like your storage organizing solution is about to begin. Bob called and offered to take me out for lunch when he got back to town yesterday. I had already eaten.

Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 01-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #22  
Thin Within

Talking Chilly in the Heartland

It is another chilly (actually cold) day here in the ♥-Land. The buffalo were all gathered around the feeding trough. Not much happening here this hump day of the week.

Here is a handy hint that I don’t remember if I told you about and if I did here it is again for this is what I do now. I got this out of the Dec. 14 AMAC Advantage publication.

WASH YOUR FRUIT AND VEGGIES IN VINEGAR
Washing your fruits and veggies in white vinegar removes waxes, film, pesticides, dirt, and mold particles, resulting in clean pretty produce that doesn’t go bad as quickly. Clean your sink, fill it with water, and add 1 cup of vinegar. Once your sink is ready, add your fresh groceries and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Then rinse, let dry, and place in fridge.

DONNA FAYE On my program I can get my chewing in for as many veggies I want for sure. The heated veggie drink I have is a lot of fiber also but I do l like to munch celery sticks. A person can do what they set their mind to but they don’t always to chose to do it. ♫ Mind over matter makes the Pooh un-fatter.♪♫ I remember that from Winnie the Pooh. Each individual has to choose what works for them best.

JEAN Bob's body is telling him he needs the rest. I am also ready for spring. It has been so cold here that the snow we got is still out there but the streets are clean now so driving isn't so dangerous.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #23  

Good morning all. It is 8 degrees here this morning. Coldest temps in 19 years!!! I heard a school bus just a few minutes ago so they didn't close school which is surprising. I know Jackson is out of school today but they had white out conditions yesterday afternoon so it is pretty bad up there.

Got the downstairs cleaned yesterday and have a bit of laundry today but then that's it. I will tackle upstairs tomorrow. I ask Jack when he is out Saturday morning to go by Uhaul and buy me some boxes so I can get stuff packed up for Goodwill and such and pack up stuff that will go back on the walls after we paint. I am sick of looking at the mess and want to get the junk out of here and clear things up.

Maggie: It is amazing the kinds of things you can use vinegar for. I use it in a sore throat remedy, it is safe to clean things like computer screens and flat screen tvs and of course cleaning out tea pots and coffee pots. Mixed with cold water, you can soak new colored clothes in it then wash them and the colors won't bleed. I always have half gallon in the house.

Jean: I don't envy your temps ours are awful enough with the wind chill. I told Jack I am going to take some of the shoe boxes I have and put my spices in them so I can get to them easier. Right now they are in the cabinet next to the stove and it's a mess trying to find anything. I can put them in the boxes then when I am cooking get them off the shelving and bring them into to,use then take and put the box back. No more hunting through cabinets to find stuff.

Everyone stay warm and safe today!!! Faye
Old 01-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #24  
Thin Within

Talking Weigh Day

YIPEKIO this is my weigh day and I lost a whopping 8 pounds. Yes, that isn’t a typo I actually lost that much. I love this program I am on. Things will slow down now but that is a great beginning for this New Year. I start today having two drinks and one meal. I have so many good WW type recipes that I can choose from.

Will is at the museum and the dogs and cat are napping which sure makes it quiet around here for all I hear is the blower from the heater working. Rather spooky. I think I will play some music.

I have been going through some boxes that have been in my office closet and deciding what to get rid of, All my wrapping stuff and bows will be put into the garage sale area for sure and a lot of the Christmas decoration things will be sold. I’ll just keep a few of our favorite decorations that will work in the MH. When the weather turns nice we will have quite a lot to sell. I have nice plastic containers with tight fitting lids that I am putting some items that we can store in that room in Texas or in the basement of the MH. Will’s leather working items and my sewing things can be stored in that room and we can work on them there. Other items that we will be using on the road can be put in the basement of the MH. We have been toying with the idea of putting solar panels on the roof so we wouldn’t have to be particular to be parked somewhere there are “plug-ins.”

Before we move the MH down there we will go and build a fence around where we will be parking it so the dogs will have a yard. We have not as of yet decided what to do with Cecil. He wouldn’t do well penned up and if we let him run lose there he would become coyote bait since we had his front paws declawed. Our next door neighbor really likes him so that may be the solution. They would take Beanie in a heat beat but out of all of the 3 we would keep him if we could only have one pet.

DONNA FAYE I have books on Vinegar, Salt, and Soda uses and they are quite good to have for those three items do great things around the house. The handy hints I run across that aren't in the books I cut and past them in them.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #25  

Good Afternoon! The sun has been in and out all morning, it's "warmed" up to 23 degrees with a 28 - 30 mph wind blowing loose snow all around. It's not a nice day to be outside! Enough said about the weather! I've been putzing around all morning; spent time on the phone with our current cable company and the one we were considering a switch to. Our's met the other company's price so will stay with them. We never got our mail yesterday! As I type this, I'm thinking of you, "Gma!" Bob met the idiot sub on the highway when Bob came home about 6. He assumed we had mail but the box was empty. He called the post office and was told the guy was stuck in a snow drift and someone was going to pull him out. I called again this morning and gave the postmaster an earful. This guy is the worst carrier we've had in 31 years, and I'm tired of the mail being two hours later than the regular carrier, and of having neighbor's mail as well as them having our's. I also said I couldn't have mail picked up because I never knew if it would leave town the same day or not. She apologized and said she would speak to him. Yeah, right. Our regular guy is on vacation but I'm not sure for how long -- too long! This afternoon I need to make a grocery list and sort through the catalog/magazine pile that accumulated before Christmas.

"Gma," Wow! I'll bet you do feel cold! I use paper boxes from the church or Bob's office to organize stuff for the SOS store or Good Will. I also reuse shoe boxes for different things. I have lots of snapshots stored in shoe boxes! I really need to work on my unfinished projects . . . . someday.

Maggie, on 8 pounds gone forever! What an incentive to keep going! I need to go through some desk drawers in the spare bedroom. It was my mom's desk and one with a drop leaf, wide drawers, and cubby holes. I have used it for storage and need to go through it. I should probably find a new home for it but hate to part with it.

Hope you are all keeping warm and cozy. I, for one, am staying inside today!
Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #26  

According to the newspaper, the sun is coming up a minute earlier and setting a minute later tomorrow. YEAH! Spring is on the way!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:24 AM   #27  

Good morning to you all. A nippy 21 this morning but at least it isn't single digits. Our garage door acts up in high heat or cold temps and it has been giving Jack fits for the last few days. It starts up then stops. You push it again and it goes down then push it and it goes up a bit then stops. We have tried to sort it out with a bazillion different garage door people but they are stumped. We have made sure the "eye" at the bottom are clean on both sides, the capacitors and such are ok and on and on. It only happens when it is 90 and above or below freezing temps so who knows? Jack usually has to take the car fob and go over and press it and heave up the door manually. It doesn't do it coming down because of gravity we suspect only going up.

Finishing up a load of laundry and will tackle upstairs bathrooms today and put clothes away. Jack said he would go by Uhaul on Saturday to get me boxes so I can start packing stuff. I don't have a file drawer down here for my pc stuff so I might just get a couple of bankers boxes at Staples and pack my files and stuff to clean up my computer area. I am tired of the mess and being rather ocd it really bugs me but I have had to temper it and not let it get the best of me until we could do some extensive stuff.

Maggie: Congrats on the loss!!! I would give you smiles, but the darn things don't work for me anymore for some reason. I weighed this morning, but am not doing it officially until Monday.

Jean: I used to get boxes from the law firm when we would empty files and such and like you I like the boxes paper reams come in, but we don't use a whole ream of paper for a long time. I am not going to go scrounging around at grocery stores so will just buy the darn things. I saw pictures of snow in Iowa yesterday and whoeee glad I live in the south. I know Jay and Alicia are getting bad weather too. I need to text them and make sure everything is ok with them today. I know Jackson was out of school yesterday.

Everyone have a nice Friday and great weekend. Faye
Old 01-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #28  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining brightly, NO wind, and it's a tad bit warmer in my neighborhood today. Christmas stuff has been packed away for another year. *sigh* I wanted to do some sorting but Mr. Tidy House wanted to put the tree box in the closet first, then he fits suitcases in and around the rest of the boxes. I do know one tote has all that I want to keep, so may dig out the other boxes to go through when I know the date of the church rummage sale. I've vacuumed the tree needles and fur bunnies, and I need to run a couple errands after Bob gets home for lunch. I know the traffic will be crazy because people have been shut in all week.

"Gma," I feel for you with your garage door. Bob has "fought" with my light for years. One side always lights while the other side rarely lights. Every once in awhile the good side will blink when the door is going down and then goes out completely. Last night the 6 pm weatherman had a reporter out by the interstate reporting white out conditions. She then interviewed a highway patrolman who said to stay home unless there was an emergency. I knew Beth should be at work so sent her a text hoping she was home. Finally about 9:30 she sent a text back saying she was home and the interstate was clear when she left work. I just hate that she has to drive that route; I don't worry about her driving, it's the goofy drivers who are gawking at the river or looking for exits into Sioux City.

I need to check my list and get going. Guess Bob got held up at the office, so much for lunch! Hope you all enjoy a great end-of-the week day!
Old 01-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #29  

Good morning all. Another cold morning here. I just taped up a box to go back to Masseys with one pair of the shoes I ordered. Hurrah one of the pairs fit and are going to work fine so I ordered the ones in black, but they are backordered until February, but I ordered them anyway to make sure I get a pair. The pair I kept are cork patterned and really pretty. They look dressy even though they are flat heeled and with me wearing them with long dresses they should look fine. I am including a pic of the ones I kept. I bought a wide pair and a medium and the medium fits. I am deciding on whether to go ahead and buy another white pair. I don't usually wear white shoes.

Jack has his monthly coffee with Kelly today. I hope they keep this going it seems to help a bit I guess. After he gets home we are going to go out and dump the box at the post office, go to WM and get some canned fruit as Krogers didn't have any without heavy syrup go figure, then to Lowes to buy us a new storm door. Jack doesn't know about the storm door yet, but I am tired of the draft from the old one and we need to get weather stripping around the inner door too. We have to have the door installed so we will set that up. Maybe they can come on Tuesday when Jack is off work. I am buying the kind that has the shades between the window panes so I can keep the door open in summer.

Jean: Luckily, Jack hasn't had to work outside in the cold this week. Our garage is a mess. The condo association doesn't do repairs and we need the whole bottom of the garage re cemented. I got out of the car the other day and saw light coming through from the deck. I don't know how, but rats ate through the concrete several years ago and now the darn thing has water all over the floor every time it rains and they won't fix it. I imagine they would throw a fit if we paid to have it done ourselves. The outside door is warped and needs to be replaced too. You have to slam it to get it to stay. Our condos need painting pretty badly too but they aren't doing that either. Ahh well, what can you do as moving is not an option.

You all have a nice Saturday. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg easy street.jpg (12.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #30  

Good Afternoon! I am home alone for most of the day as Bob has a Oliver meeting in another town 21/2 hours away. A small town near here features a particular make of tractor each year for their Threshermen Days. They have old steam machinery demonstrations, home made food, ice cream, and pies; anyone who wishes can bring their tractors or machinery to display them with a write up on the history. This coming August it is Oliver time and Bob is filling in on the committee for a friend who had back surgery. I guess it is advertised nationwide. I know it's been 12 years since the last Oliver show because the day we went to pick up his tractor, Beth called telling us we had a Maddy.

I've been to the library and grocery store for some coffee, bread, and apples. Two weeks ago we ordered a battery for my phone. The guy said it would take a week. I called yesterday to check on it, and the incompetent female never asked my name, but said she didn't see a battery anywhere. I decided to stop by the store today and the guy who ordered it happened to be there and is the manager. He looked it up online, and it hasn't even been shipped. He is assuming wherever it is coming from doesn't have any in stock. He told me to call back Monday, after two, when the mail has been delivered. Now, if it hasn't been shipped, how could it get here Monday? I thought I erased STUPID off my forehead this morning!

"Gma," I noticed light coming in under both of our garage doors this morning. I think snow gets in the crack and won't let the door seal. I really like your shoes! What brand are they, or where did you get them? I just put my white heels in the SOS box. It's been years since I've worn them, but I do have white sandals. We added Bob's garage in 2000, and the cement floor has pit marks where he drives. He said it happened because of how they mixed the cement, too thick or too thin or some such thing. It seems like quality is going down the tubes fast! It seems like there is always something to fix or replace when you own a home.

I need to do a couple loads of laundry and pick up the kitchen. Hope you all are having a good day and enjoy!

Last edited by Jean; 01-10-2015 at 01:28 PM.