Old 11-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias ~ #94

GOOD AFTERNOON IN NOVEMBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

We didn’t have any trick or theaters at all last night. The tiny candy bars we got in a bag will go into the freezer and the tootsie pops should last quite awhile also. Guess all the kids were taken to the “rich” part of town.

Not much going on here this day besides the usual. We have to rent paid for where we have the MH parked so now our bills are paid. I need to get the items ordered Will wants to give to the museum folks as Christmas gifts.

Did I mention that Will bought me a small rice cooker which is the size of a small Crock-Pot. I made some last night in it and it worked so good that I don’t know why I didn’t have one of them years ago. Just add rice and water and It just cooks it and you don’t have to watch a pot on the stove. It will make white or brown rice. I do know why I didn’t have one years ago for they were too big then and this one is made for servings for a fewer number of people. There are so many things one can do to jazz up the rice also. I know I am going to have fun experiencing what I can do with the rice using it.

JEAN That is nice that Bob has those friends he can have breakfast with.

[b]DONNA FAYE[b] I am sure thankful that my main squeeze doesn’t marathon foot ball games.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #2  

Good morning, ladies! A cool 43 degrees right now and the sun is trying to come out after rain earlier this morning. The leaves are finally starting to turn. My back yard is covered in pine needles already.

Sandy and I went to church bazaars yesterday. Got some good bargains. Came home with 2 full bags and only spent 3.67! The baked goods looked so good and it is just as well I can't eat them - the cakes were $30 and $35 and were gone in an hour! People make the same thing year after year and those who want there products arrive early to get them.

My first cataract surgery will be December 11. Dr. only operates in the afternoon and I'm scheduled for 2:30 - and nothing to eat or drink after midnight. I need to think of something to keep busy. There is the beginning of a cataract in my left eye but he doesn't think it'll be ready for surgery until Spring. We decided reading glasses will be the way to go so I will be able to see without glasses for the first time since I was 3 years old.

Maggie, I have a vegetable steamer that I can also do rice in. I got it years ago from saving Healthy Choice meal UPC codes. It does a great job. I also use it for other grains. I passed out pretzels and had a grand total of 8 kids. I don't think I'll bother next year. There are parties at the churches and the Y so kids don't go door to door much here.

Jean, too cold for me. I'd be happy to never get below 35 this winter. There was a combine fire in a cotton field here last weekend. Fortunately the fire got put out with only about an acre of cotton lost but the machine was totaled.

Faye, I turned heat on about a week ago. Just too cold for my breathing. That was a lot of candy you got the boys. We have a shop in Smithfield that sells all the old time candies - by the piece or pound. I am going to quit quilting until I get my eyes fixed. I can't see well enough to do the quality of work I want. I can get things ready to sew - making patterns, cutting out the pieces, etc.

Have a wonderful day!

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 11-02-2014 at 11:52 AM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #3  

Good Morning! It seems like it should be lunch time and I have been up forever! I woke up a couple times during the night and checked the time, not sure why because I turned back the clocks when I changed the sheets that morning. The sun is shining and it has warmed up to 40 degrees; my flowers took a hit the night it got down to 21 and they are a sad looking bunch. Bob said he will dump the pots this afternoon.

We skipped church this morning. It is All Saints Day remembering those who died in the last year. I've lit the memorial candles for the last four years, last year being a last minute call from the minister because no one bothered to organize it. This year I dug my heels in and decided I wasn't going to do it. Sure enough, I got the call late Friday afternoon from a gal who "didn't know anything about how to go about doing it." Last night I got a call to be an officer in UMW (United Methodist Women) because the group is falling apart; same story that the older members have either died, are tired of doing it, or no longer able and younger gals aren't interested. I don't even belong and never have; I turned that down too, I have enough irons in the fire.

"Gma," I think football is on tv year around if one has enough channels to search. I/we watched the World Series and I don't mind basketball. I hate having golf on, that's like watching paint dry. I either read or am on the computer so we are having "together" time.

Maggie, thank you for starting the new thread. The guys ate breakfast at a grocery store where several farmers get together every morning at 6. Have fun with your new rice cooker. I just bought some that cooks in the microwave and in its own bag. Bob likes rice better than I do, give me a potato any day.

Susan, waiting until afternoon for surgery is a long time without food. I'm surprised they didn't allow the time difference to early morning. It will be nice to have it over before Christmas. You won't have a lens implant? I get a catalog with all the old candy and gum in it. Shipping has gotten so high that it offered free shipping with a $75 order. Who needs $75 worth of candy? Not me!

I need to do some laundry and think about something for dinner. Having Bob home for lunch will be different. Hope you all enjoy a relaxing day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #4  

Good morning gals. Chilly but not too bad this morning. Jack just left for work and I started a load of laundry and took my meds. I am going to go upstairs and clean a bit later and get back to my routine.

Today was weigh day and I am up several lbs. I knew I would be as I have felt so exhausted for the last few weeks we have eaten out or brought in several times. I don't know where the tiredness is coming from because my blood work I had before I left the hospital didn't show any anemia or whatever. I do feel better this morning though so maybe I have turned a corner.

I had to give up on learning bridge. You have to keep track of what has been played and it is one of those memory things I have always had trouble with. If it something I do over and over like learning bidding, I can do that, but things that are always different have always been difficult for me. I got through college putting memorization to music in my head as it was the only way I could learn the stuff. I felt really bad, but Jack understands that if I can't do it, I can't do it. We tried and it became too frustrating for me. I do memory exercises because both my grandfather and my mother had alzheimers so I really watch myself and where my memory is lapse but for now I am fine. This is something I have had to deal with since I was a child. Let's just say I won't be auditioning to be an actress anytime soon.

Maggie: I think parents even in small towns are becoming more leery of their kids trick or treating. Enjoy your rice cooker.

Susan: Hope your surgery does the trick for you. I have very bad astigmatism in my left eye now and I think I am going to try one toric lense in my left eye and then a bifocal lense in my right eye next year when I get new contacts because my vision is just not sharp enough unless I put on my glasses. If I take off my glasses and have my contacts out, I can see really well close up but my nearsightedness is bad and has been for decades.

Jean: I think that's the way all churches are going. Younger people just don't want to be bothered with church these days or say they just don't believe. It is kind of frightening. Churches used to be like family communities, but they are very disjointed anymore I think. I agree with you about taking on more. You seem to be gone from home everyday with volunteer projects and you do enough. I agree about golf and tennis is another headache. I don't mind college football but we don't watch pro ball anymore as it has really become violent. I like baseball of course and hopefully the Cubs are now coming around so we want to watch it again. We watch NASCAR from time to time, but our favorites are getting older and moving move into ownership than driving.

Well girls, I need to go and get the day started. Have a good start to your week. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon/Evening! It's been a dark gloomy day with a few sprinkles this morning. We had lots of money to count at church so it took a little longer there, and then I picked up the gift shop money on my way home. I had a meeting this afternoon and it lasted longer than usual too. Bob has practice today so I finished the gift shop deposit; still need to write checks and will drop them off at the hospital tomorrow. I might have had an hour more of sleep Saturday night, but I am tired tonight.

"Gma," it actually felt like a spring day this morning, much warmer than the last few days. You will get back on track and take care of those pesky pounds that managed to sneak back on. Bridge is too serious for me, so I gave up trying to learn how to play.

One of our TV stations has been showing a clip of two dogs playing and then a sign saying "non-political ad. You're welcome!" Don't forget to vote tomorrow! Enjoy the rest of your evening!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking December and chlly

GOOD AFTERNOON IN NOVEMBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It was chilly day here in the ♥-Land and I just had to get out a wrap to use when we went out and about today. We have had to change our plans to go to our friends house for Thanksgiving dinner because Will’s treatment lands to close to that day and everything tastes metallic and he has a hard time eating when it is that way. We went by the place we get coffee to let our friend know that our plans have changed. She said that she would love to load a couple plates and deliver them to us at our house. Now that, my friends, is a true friend.

I had fun today and placed some orders today from catalogues for Christmas gifts because I didn’t want to wait and then they are sold out. I ordered something for myself with my “allowance” that is funny ~ “Lightsaber Chopsticks” from Hammacher Schlemmer ~ Lightsabers from Star Wars. The sturdy chopstick sabers and their integral LED”s can be detached from their bases for easy cleaning. Each contains a watch battery and they come in red or blue and I ordered the red lights. I do eat a lot of my meals using chopsticks.

DONNA FAYE Sorry to hear you are up a tad but you know how to lose and when you can get back to it you can do better.

JEAN AH yes tomorrow is voting day. I sure hope they catch more people voting more than once. There was one on the news tonight that said she voted many, many times and just used the names of folks she knew weren't going to vote. I think she was on her way to jail for they did catch up with her.

SUSAN This small sized rice cooker will cook from 2 to 6 cups cooked rice yield. I have several yummy sounding recipes for use in it. One I want to try soon has chicken stock, pine nuts, parsley, onion and olive oil. Sounds to me like a nice side dish for some baked chicken. I can also cook Soup, Chili or Stew in the cooker. I can see it will be a nice little appliance to have along in the MH.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday & a Nice Day

GOOD MORNING IN NOVEMBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

As token gifts we have decided to give a nice coffee mug with one of those cubes of chocolate with marshmallows on the top and a plastic spoon stuck in it to stir with to make a “mug of hot chocolate.” We got one of the hot chocolate deals from our friend that owns that gourmet shop and we found that Wal*Mart sells them also. I will round up some nice mugs to put the cubes in. I love this time of year and the gifting of people.

My back has been hurting the last few days due to the atmospheric pressures this time of the year. It feels so much better so I guess the pressure has let up. “They” say that those pressures cause folks weakest part in their body to hurt ~ you would think it was my head now wouldn’t you. AH but my back is the weakest part in my body and it really did hurt but not so much today.

As soon as Will gets back from the bank we will go vote ~ this is voting day.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #8  

Good morning gals. Should be interesting this evening after the polls close. Sure would be nice to see people come back around to making sense again. I know so many got taken with this Obamacare thing thinking it would their answer to healthcare only to find out either the premiums were outrageous or the copays or deductibles were so they were no better off. Our country sure is in a mess.

We will go vote after Jack gets home from work. The polls don't open until after he has left in the morning so we have to wait until afternoon.

It is fairly nice this morning not too cool. I am waiting for delivery of a gift card for my dd for her birthday, which is the 16th. She is in Florida at the moment for who knows what.

Jack made our reservations yesterday for the Thanksgiving buffet at the University Holiday Inn. It is a really great buffet with lots of choices. We will be alone this year at the kids are going to be in Indiana this year for Thanksgiving. Jack just has no time he can take off until the beginning of the year so we have to stay home.

Maggie: Hope Will comes to the end of his chemo soon.

Jean: Hope you are having a good day!

Everyone have a great day today. Faye
Old 11-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and the wind is blowing although it doesn't feel all that cold outside. I stopped at the hospital to drop off checks and go to a fund raiser for the Auxiliary. It's called Mountain Man Nuts and Candy; nothing was cheap but I bought some "hot" snack mix to give Jason and Will for Christmas plus a chocolate treat for Bob. Stopped by the bank then headed to WG for allergy stuff. Now I need to get busy and accomplish something around here!

Maggie, it's nice of your friend to offer to bring you and Will a Thanksgiving dinner. We will go to vote after lunch. I have a big problem with voters who do not speak nor read English. Have fun with your new chopsticks. I wouldn't get much to eat if I used chopsticks.

"Gma," our polls are open until 9 tonight, and the TV stations are on tap to start their updates then. Our senate race is "too close to call" so will most likely be a recount. I'm so tired of their negative ads! We have a restaurant here that offers a "free" Thanksgiving dinner. It has grown from a few invited guests who have no family here to over 400 last year. Now the owner asks for volunteers to help serve, and has moved to a banquet hall. Does your buffet stick to Thanksgiving food or are there lots of choices? We have been invited to my "sister's" again, and will invite them back here for Christmas. Eating out sounds good to me!

Bob is home for lunch so had better check the leftovers in the oven. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 11-04-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #10  

Good morning to you all. It was really windy yesterday and it is raining and rained overnight but it isn't cold as of yet.

Well looks like the Republicans smacked the idiot in the White House good and proper. All the states we ladies live in voted Republican even the close ones or the ones they thought they would lose. People are fed up with what is going on in this country and said so through voting. We had heavier than normal turnout and Shelby county where Memphis is, is the only county that votes Democratic in Tennessee. Of course it is a heavy black population so it is not surprising. We shall see what happens as we go forward. Would be nice if they dismantled Obamacare in the next couple years though. It sure is doing more harm than good.

I am making these cute knitted snowmen heads that slip over a round bubble style vase and you put Christmas candy canes in. I am making one for each family then getting each family a restaurant gift card for Christmas. We only buy for the boys but I wanted to get them something. I need to get going though because I would like to send it with Kelly when they go to Indiana for Thanksgiving.

Jean: This buffet has a salad table with all kinds of salads, cheese and olives and pickles and that kind of stuff. They have a bread table that is huge with a variety of breads rolls and muffins and breakfast stuff like danishes and donuts. They have a seafood table with cold shrimp and such and they have a carving station with ham, turkey, and beef. The "hot" table has all different kind of veg and Thanksgiving stuff like sweet potatos and stuffing, but they have things like lasagna, chicken dishes, fish dishes, etc. They have breakfast foods like sausage, bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy, grits. It is in a huge banquet room and they have two seatings, 10:30 and 1:00. They have two huge dessert tables too. It isn't cheap, $32 apiece for seniors, but who cares when you don' have to cook. We have been going for the last three years. It is nice to sit down to a beautiful table with tablecloths and china and such. It really is very nice not cheapy at all.

Well gals, I need to go. I am really hungry this morning so need to get my b sugar done and get some cereal or something filling in me. I think I will eat some raisin bran this morning. Faye
Old 11-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #11  

Good morning, ladies! 56 degrees and the sun is starting to come out.

I hate the time change. I got all the clocks changed in the house buit forgot the car. After I went to the Y yesterday, I ran into Kroger to pick up a few things and then thought I'd get a salad at Wendy's before doing some more errands. I was surprised the parking lot was empty and there were only 2 people working - the clock in the car said 11:45 and it was only 10:45. Duh!

Faye, We'll be having a recount in VA - Warner (dem) won by a very small margin. There were call after call to the radio and tv stations in Virginia Beach because the voting machines had apparently been tampered with and when you voted for a republican the vote jumped to the democrate so if you weren't paying attention, your vote didn't go the way you thought. The city council announced by noon that they were going back to paper ballots next year. I'm thinking it may be Jeb Bush and Hillary for president in 2016. I have no respect for her and wouldn't vote for her if she were running unapposed. I don't do buffets because I don't eat enough to pay for them.

Jean, I'm going to quit PPQG at the end of the year. The young ones sit back and won't do anything and I'm tired of being asked to do things all the time. I will have monofocal lens implanted during my surgery. I got a real shock when I went to pick up the prescriptions for it - the doc said he only prescribes brand name but will change if necessary - 3 little bottles of drops were $2,689 - not covered by insurance. I'll be calling for them to call in generic.

Maggie, how nice of your friends to offer to bring you dinner. My friends and I aren't exchanging Christmas gifts. Instead we are putting what we would have spent into and envelope and taking it to the food bank. So my shopping is done.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #12  

Good Morning! My day got off to a bad start, well at least for me. My morning routine is to read "my" morning paper with my coffee while Bob reads his. I called the Sioux City office to say we didn't get a paper, and some IDIOT decided that beyond the local area wouldn't get papers today because of the late election results from South Dakota and Nebraska. We will get today's paper tomorrow. I felt sorry for the rep because I'm sure she will be getting calls all day long. I wrote a letter to the publisher stating I didn't know of anyone, who would be interested in the results, not having access to a TV or radio. It's a cloudy morning and the wind is supposed to pick up as the day goes along. The only " have to" for today is bell practice later. I might check in on the gift shop because the buyers and some volunteers were decorating for Christmas yesterday when I walked by.

"Gma," the gal who won the Iowa Senate seat had a nervous (?) laugh throughout her victory talk last night. She sounded not too smart! It will be interesting to see how fast the Republicans turn things around, or if they can. Your buffet sounds delicious! If I could take Ian, I would get my money's worth.

Susan, I think I double check clocks for a couple days to make sure I set them right. I usually forget a watch in my jewelry box, and notice it in church. I sure don't want Hillary and Bill back in the White House! I hope that the people in TN don't have to go back and vote again. We use paper and pen ballots. What is PPQG? I was surprised the eye drops aren't covered by insurance. With the changes coming, that might become more common for other meds. I like your idea of Christmas shopping!

Did I tell you the black tom cat that Bob took to the farm is back? Sonny's not happy, he tries to chase him away by running back and forth across the two sliding doors. Black Cat just keeps eating. My squirrel with the broken tail is here and the others keep chasing him off. He is a sad looking guy! Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining but it's windy and a cold 45 degrees in my corner of the world. This noon the weatherman said, "possibility of snow" next week. I hope not! I spent most of the morning on the phone, first with the cable company and then an hour with my friend whose husband died. Have laundry to check on and the clutter to sort through. Bob is out mowing the first round of leaves which I'm sure the neighbor to the south will appreciate since his trees are bare and the fallen leaves are gone.

I need to get busy since I didn't get anything done this morning. Hope all is well with all of you. Enjoy the rest of this terrific Thursday!
Old 11-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday & a Very Nice Cool Day

GOOD MORNING IN NOVEMBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

My coffee mugs look so cute. I used clear wrap and gathered it up on top and tied it will a string of tiny plastic Christmas lights and put a crochet snow flake on the side. They look festive and pretty.

As I said before back has been hurting the last few days due to the atmospheric pressures this time of the year. It finally feels so much better.

As soon as Will gets back from the museum we will go out and about. I need the veggies to make my soup so that will mean a trip to the grocery department and he plans on grilling burgers this evening so we will need some buns. Burgers are so much better done on the Barbie.

We have been invited to spend Christmas with our friends in Texas so we will be making plans to make a trip down there for that. The dinner will actually be at his brothers home but we know him and his wife also and that will be fun to see them at that time. They consider us family and rather insist we be there.

Gotta go ~ All of you ladies have a great day.

Last edited by Maggie; 11-06-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:39 AM   #15  

Good morning gals. Very chilly here this morning, but at least the rain has moved through.

I am doing pretty well on my first snowman. I had to rip it out completely and start over because the bowls came and they were much bigger. Ahh well, I have enough yarn so it is no problem. It is an easy pattern and since I had to double the stitches, was able to put it on circs which I like much better if I can use them in the round. I can knit with them faster.

I noticed last night that the black neurosurgeon that is a republican has officially thrown his hat in the ring. I like him, but I am afraid because of what that dope in the White House did people are stupid and won't vote for another black president, at least for awhile. I imagine Jeb will eventually announce and I think there are a couple others going to make a run for it. We shall see. Heaven help us if that you know Hillary gets elected.

Maggie: We will have Christmas eve with Thomas, Kelly and Tom then be by ourselves Christmas day as usual. Not a big deal to us really. Hope your plans come to fruition.

Susan: I didn't think of the car either so I am sure I would have panicked when I keep it on Monday to go for my mammo. I sure hope your eye surgery makes a big difference for you. I did keep seeing that there was basically voter fraud with your machines there. I kind of panicked when I went to vote as I was having trouble with my machine, but it was just my fingernails so she got me a stylus!

Jean: What a dumb thing to do. We have a lot of misinformation like weather stuff because our media covers such a large area. We cover Memphis clear to Jackson to the east then part of western AR and North Mississippi. You get some notice and find out it isn't even for here. Of course all the shootings and murders are for us. It is like living in Detroit anymore only I am not sure we aren't worse. We had this gang of about 100 kids hanging out at one of the shopping centers and when patrons came out of the Krogers were beating them up. It was awful and basically they got their hands slapped for it and one of the guys got hurt badly.

Well gals I need to go. Have a great weekend. I have a haircut and color tomorrow. Whoopeee it needs it for sure. Faye
[/COLOR]