Old 11-19-2005, 03:08 PM   #46  
a work in progress

Harvest Sweet Potato Pecan Tarts

(This one is from Cooking Light Magazine -- haven't tried it yet, but will make them this year, hope they are as good as they sound)

1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
3 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp table salt
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp dark corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg white
4 1/4 oz phyllo dough tart shells (I found Athens brand mini tart shells in the freezer case, 2 pkgs are about 4 1/4 oz)

Preheat oven to 350. Combine sweet potato, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Combine pecans, brown sugar, syrup, vanilla, and egg white. Spoon 1 t sweet potato mixture into each shell, spreading to edges, top with 1/2 t pecan mixture, bake 20 min, cool on wire rack.

15 servings, 2 points each (one serving is 2 tarts)
Katiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #47  
Nancy

Default New Recipe Thread

I noticed that there had been some recipe threads in the past. Is anyone interested in a new one?? I'll start with a recipe I came up with for a dinner salad...it's my healthier version of a similar salad at California Pizza Kitchen. My husband loves it!!

Black Bean Salad
4 WW points (sorry, no calorie info, because I figured it out on the WW recipe builder!). This recipe makes 2 servings.

1 cup canned black beans
1/2 cup frozen white corn
4 cup romaine lettuce
1 medium sweet red pepper(s)
1/2 cup salsa
2 Tbsp barbecue sauce
3 Tbsp fat-free ranch salad dressing

Chop lettuce. Add beans, corn, pepper, salsa. Mix BBQ sauce and ranch dressing. Toss salad with dressing. For 1 extra point, crumble some baked tortilla chips on top, or make some baked strips (spray 2 corn tortillas w/cooking spray. sprinkle with salt, chili powder, etc. bake 375 until crispy).

Enjoy!!
eloisecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:29 AM   #48  
a work in progress

OK, I was craving Chinese food, but didn't want to blow all my points for the day. I made "fried" rice for our main dish tonight, and it made 4 servings for only....(drumroll please)...5 points each!!! I just started throwing things together, but put all the ingredients in the recipe builder on the WW site to check the points. Here it is:

Almost "Fried" Rice

1 C white or brown rice (points are the same)
2 C water
1 chicken bouillon cube and 1 vegetable bouillon cube
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup sweet red pepper, julienned
1/4 cup frozen green peas
1/4 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup celery
4 oz chicken breast, cooked, skinless (could use rotisserie chicken, I used a leftover piece of chicken I grilled), sliced into thin strips
1 oz deli style 97% fat-free thin-sliced smoked ham (4-5 slices), cut in thin strips
1 egg, beaten
3 Tbsp soy sauce (or to taste)

Cook rice in water w/bouillon added. Spray a non-stick skillet w/cooking spray. Sautee veggies, ham, and chicken until veggies are just crisp-tender (doesn't take long since the chicken and ham are already cooked). Add rice and stir to combine. Push rice mixture to the sides of the pan, leaving an opening in the center. Pour in the beaten egg and gently stir until it is scrambled. When it is almost completely cooked, stir to incorporate into the rice mixture, stirring until egg is completely done and everything is heated through. Season w/soy sauce to taste.

This was sooooooooo good, and for only 5 points a serving, what a bargain! I saved a container to take for my lunch tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:15 AM   #49  
GmaTo8

Katie - Mmmmmm! This sounds de-lish, and you get a lot for the points. Thanks for sharing.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:27 PM   #50  
a work in progress

Apple Crisp for Jane

4 medium apple(s), Granny Smith, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsp sugar, granulated
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
2 Tbsp unpacked brown sugar
2 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Combine apples, lemon juice and granulated sugar in large bowl; toss to combine. Place in bottom of a 9-inch pie plate; sprinkle cranberries over top and set aside. Combine oats, brown sugar, margarine and cinnamon; mix with a fork or your fingers until mixture is combined and crumbly. Sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake until filling is bubbly and top is golden brown, about 50 to 55 minutes. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving, 6 servings at 4 points each.

Not too sweet, good for breakfast or dessert. I think you could substitute raisins for the cranberries if you like.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:32 PM   #51  
a work in progress

Default just 'cause this looks interesting...

Apple-Grapefruit (!) Crisp

3 medium grapefruit, pink preferred
2 medium apple(s), such as Granny Smith, peeled and thinly sliced
2 Tbsp uncooked tapioca
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
6 Tbsp butter, softened
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove peel and white skin (pith) from outside of grapefruits. Cut into 3/8-inch-thick rounds, blot slices on a paper towel to absorb some juice and place in a 9 X 9-inch square baking pan. Add apples, tapioca, ginger and allspice; toss to combine and spread evenly in pan.
Using an electric mixer or mixing by hand, beat sugar, oatmeal, flour, butter and cinnamon until clumps are the size of pebbles; evenly sprinkle over fruit. Bake until fruit bubbles and top is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Cut into 12 pieces and serve warm or at room temperature, 4 pts per serving.

OK, sounds kinda odd, but I love grapefruit, so it might be great! If not, at least it's a recipe for a generic "crisp" topping that could be used with other fruits.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:00 AM   #52  

Height: 5'1"

Default Mini Cherry Cheese Cakes

I just seen this recipe the other day and it sounds so good....I love cheesecake. And if I can find a way to enjoy those sweets then heck...I'm all for that!!

It's 3pts for one serving.

8 average graham cracker(s), mashed into crumbs
2 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, melted
4 oz fat-free cream cheese
4 oz light cream cheese
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 large egg white(s)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup sugar
20 oz light fruit pie filling, cherry, warmed

Place 12 cupcake liners in a cupcake pan. Combine graham cracker crumbs and margarine; mix well.
Spoon 1 tablespoon of crumb mixture into bottom of each liner and press down gently. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
Beat cream cheeses until fluffy and add lemon juice, egg whites, vanilla extract and sugar; beat until smooth.
Spoon cream cheese mixture evenly into crumb cups. Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes. Cool.
Top each cheese cake with 1 tablespoon cherry pie filling.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #53  
GmaTo8

WW Cream of Potato Soup

2 small or 1 large (10 oz.) potato, peeled and cubed
1 Tbs. chopped green onion
1 tsp. chicken boullion granules
1/2 tsp. celery seed or 1 Tbs. finely chopped celery, partially cooked
1/2 c. 1% milk
Molly McButter
pepper

Place cubed potato, green onion, boullion granules and celery seed in a medium saucepan. Barely cover with hot water. (approx 1 1/2 cup). Boil until potatoes are tender - about 10 minutes. Take off stove and beat with electric mixer until smooth. Meanwhile, warm the milk in the microwave for 30 seconds, then add to potato mixture. Add Molly McButter and pepper to taste.

This is one serving, and is 4.5 WW points, and approx. 200 calories.

This is a comfort food, so it's best to make only one serving at a time. I used to eat an entire box of hot, chocolate pudding when I was stressed. This soup, or hot oatmeal, serves as a healthier substitute.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote