Old 08-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias ~ #89

GOOD AFTERNOON IN AUGUST MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It is another hot day here in the ♥-Land but it is still summer so it is expected.

I will take Will into the hospital tomorrow morning at 7 am so they can get him all prepped to insert that pick line thingie in behind his collar bone so they can give him his chemo treatments through it. We haven’t yet been told just how many treatments he is to have. Since he is currently cancer free it probably won’t be very many treatments to kill some suspicious cells that may be lurking in there. Hallelujah he is cancer free but the chemo treatments are just a precaution.

Not much out of the ordinary going on around here. I am still gathering up the necessary supplies for my doll making enterprise and just am waiting for some specialized color pencils that the local folks at the office supply place have on order for me. I like to have all my ducks in a row before I start a project.

DONNA FAYE on your weight loss. That blanket is adorable and I am sure the person you made it for will love it.

JEAN Sounds like that secretary has a screw loose somewhere that you have to tighten up for her occasionally. Good thing you check and re-check things like you do.

SUSAN Sounds like you are in for some weather. Stay safe.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

Last edited by Maggie; 08-25-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #2  

Maggie, thanks for starting the new thread. I hope all goes well for Will's treatments. I'm sure the dolls will be a fun project for you. It has clouded over and cooled down some more. The Sioux City weatherman just said it is raining there.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #3  

Good morning to you girls. I turned off the ac, but I doubt it will remain off too long. We are still looking at high 90's all this week for temps.

I did get the vacuuming done yesterday but that was it. Something upset my stomach pretty badly and I felt sick all day. It must have been something I ate on Sunday evening. I am fine now.

I am starting on Jackson's socks today. I had Thomas's one sock finished except to sew up toe and had Jack try it on. I felt the ankle was too loose so tore the whole thing out and am going to make the ankle just a bit smaller then increase the stitches to make the rest of the sock. I don't want it baggy around the ankle and it rub when he is running since they are ankle socks.

Maggie: Hope Will has good success with the chemo.

Jean: Boy that secretary is a pip. I am sure it drives you nuts for her to be so disorganized and basically causing you all so much more work. Sure hope your last weekend at the cabin is warm and sunny and enjoyable. This is our last commissary weekend before the cruise. Since the next one is only a few days before we leave we are not going to shop except to get us a few things to tide us over. I don't want to be throwing out a bunch of produce, bread, milk etc before we go. Can't believe we are finally winding down to it.

You gals have a wonderful day. I am going to tackle the mopping first thing this morning before it gets too hot. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #4  

Good Morning! It's a cloudy cool morning in my corner of the world. The weatherman says it's going to rain, but he said that yesterday and it didn't happen. I am home today! I need to make a food list for the weekend and clean out the fridge. Also have laundry waiting and fur bunnies to vacuum.

"Gma," glad you feel better today! Saturday is the only day in the weekend without rain in our forecast. It will be the revolving door at the cabin this weekend. Ian has football practice late Sunday afternoon (grr!) so they will come Friday night and leave after lunch on Sunday. Beth has to work Friday night (grr!) so they will come Saturday and head home on Monday. We are celebrating Maddy's birthday, a couple weeks late, on Saturday. I'm sure the time has seemed to take forever, but it seems like you just started planning for this cruise vacation.

Guess I had better get busy if I want to accomplish anything this morning! Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all. Sameo weather, hot and sticky and we are expecting a lot of rain this week too. Seems like it always wants to rain on commissary weekend.

I am going to call later and find out if the Walmart vision center will be open on Monday. If so, I am going to wait until Monday to get my nails done and then just pick up my contacts then. I only buy my insurance allowance from them because their prices are higher than online. I paid $46 a box on line and another 15% discount on top of that and free shipping. They should be here tomorrow. With Walmart, I paid $60 a box plus fitting fee, which means I was able to buy a box for each eye, which lasts 6 months if none of them tear. I have a $150 allowance, but they charge me a $35 fitting fee so I only have $120 towards the contacts themselves.

I have started on Jackson's socks and am almost done with the leg on the first one. They are certainly bright colors. I have to make sure and block the color when they are done as I don't know if the lady that makes the yarn does that or not. They baby yarn should be here tomorrow so I will stop with Jackson's socks and get the baby socks done as her shower is October 4 in Indiana I surmise as my dil's house. I will wrap them and get a card and ship the whole thing to her so she can have them at her shower. The baby socks will only take a day or so as they are newborn.

I bought some expensive dry shampoo to take to the hospital. I got it yesterday. I sure hope it works. I hate nasty hair and it always seems that I can't shower when I am in the hospital. Like I said before, this last time I actually washed it in the little sink.

Jean: Sounds like a revolving door weekend at the cabin. Hope everyone has a nice time though. I need to put some baking soda in the freezer. It has a spoiled milk smell and I can't figure out where it is coming from. I checked everything in the fridge and nothing is spoiled in it. I have been wracking my brain to think whether or not the smell came before or after our electricity was off all day. I didn't open the refrigerator much, just a couple times so nothing got hot or defrosted so who knows?

Everyone have a good middle of the week. Faye
Old 08-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! It's another cool cloudy day in my corner of the world. This was my morning to work in the gift shop, and I even sold a few things. Bob came for lunch in the coffee shop and then I took him to pick up his tractor that he had painted. I'm home for the rest of the day, I think. I could do some more laundry but sure don't feel like starting any big projects now.

"Gma," we have had rain predicted for several days but nothing so far, except lightning at night. Most likely it will rain all weekend. I hope your weather cools down soon. It doesn't seem possible August is almost gone. This summer really flew by too fast. Fall must be closing in as a few trees are starting to drop their leaves. We've had hummingbirds for a week and the orioles showed up yesterday. The hummingbirds are a scrappy bunch for some reason. They weren't like that this spring but we didn't have so many flitting in and out either. They dive bomb each other and are fun to watch.

I need to change clothes and unload the dishwasher. That will be my effort for the afternoon. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday wherever you are and whatever you are doing today. Enjoy!

Last edited by Jean; 08-27-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. Another hot day, but so far, like Jean, no rain. They have been predicting it all week but nothing so far.

I am halfway done with the foot on Jackson's sock so am buzzing right along. I keep being worried about having enough yarn though it said it is 400+ feet so should be plenty for kids socks. I am going to cut Thomas's ankle down 4-6 stitches to make the ankle a bit tighter without making it difficult to get over his foot when I start it. The baby yarn should be here today so I can get those itty bitty baby socks done. I will have quite a bit of yarn left since I bought a skein of each color, but I am sure I will find a use for it.

I paid all the bills this morning and will do countertop and appliance cleaning this morning then I will be done for the day. I did a load of laundry yesterday and then another load last evening because Jack missed the uniform guy and needed uniform pants washed to get through next week until he comes again. I use those pod things and I stuck two in to wash those pants. The stench of the plant on them is horrible, but when they came out of the washer they smelled just like Gain!

I have a ton of stuff coming either by mail or UPS today. We order this thing that fits in the cup holder and gives you USB connections to plug in phones, Ipads, the GPS stuff like that. We have a cigarette lighter that has two on it, but this one has 7 combined so it will fit all of them. Since we have 4 cup holders, two between the drivers and two between the seats we can sit it in one of the seat ones and still plug it in to the cigarette lighter. My Ipad has internet data ability, but Jack doesn't. We figured why pay for both of them when only one of us can use one in the car as the other person is driving. In hotels and such they have free wifi so Jack's works in those and such.

Jean: The hospital I go to has a lousy gift shop, but they do have a whole vending machine room where you can buy food of all kinds, sandwiches, soups, candy, chips, drinks, etc. They have rotten cafeteria hours and the cafeteria has just ok food. They have yummy mac and cheese though and this to die for red velvet cheesecake. (I filched a couple tastes of Jack's when I was in the hospital and supposed to be on clear liquids! I was starving after 4 days with no food. ) Did Bob get it painted red?? Our cicadas have been really, really noisy here the last week. Don't know what that means, but I am sure it means something. They are such huge ugly things and I imagine I will find some out on the deck dead as I usually do when they make a lot of noise.

You all have a nice day. Keep plugging along. Hope you all are going to have a nice holiday weekend! Faye
Old 08-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #8  

Good Morning! We got up to rain, rain, and more rain. I guess the weatherman was serious last night. I needed to run some errands this morning and left when the rain let up. Five minutes later, as I'm driving down the street it is pouring but I kept going anyway. Sonny was about out of his diet food, which I don't think is working but we keep trying. We are supposed to go to soccer games this afternoon, and pick up the kids at 4:30 from the sitter. I'm betting they won't play since they got rain yesterday and again today, but maybe they will. Also need to stop at SAM's for a few things and want to stop and see our friends.

"Gma," I will share some rain! They are predicting 3" for here. In driving downtown on the "new" street, water is standing along the curbs and not running to the sewer drains. That could be a problem imo. You are a whiz at knitting socks! Do you even have to look at a pattern? Hope all of your things get delivered today. When our hospital remodel/addition job is done the coffee shop and gift shop will be located on the back side of the hospital, close to the cafeteria. The main entrance where they are now will be the emergency room entrance which is now located in back close to the helipad, and in turn will be moved closer to the front of the building. The employees contributed money towards a garden setting off the cafeteria which has tables, benches, flowers, plants, and garden statues. It will be removed and employees are upset about that. Employees and visitors often eat out there or just go there for a break. Makes no sense to me to get rid of it.

Guess I should be thinking about lunch fixings. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking

Not much happening around here these days. Beanie was playing with a turtle that came into our yard and it was so cute for he would bark and lunge at it and it would draw its head back into the shell. He didn’t hurt it and pretty soon the turtle wandered off under some things under Will’s work bench in the patio. We should get some turtle food and feed it.

Since Will has agreed to be in a national study of cancer survival folks we won’t be leaving here full-timing in our RV as planned. We will opt for nice vacations though. The 6 months of treatment was an arbitrary picked number and the doctors don’t really know if it takes that long for chemo treatments to be effective. The study will see if 3 months will work. They have found that Celebrex inhibits cancer cells from growing and will do a blind study. I used to take that med for my authorities in my knee but the med company we have to use now that won the contract won’t supply it and I have a different med. This will be very helpful to the doctors and a worthy study done all around the world. Will can’t start the study until the place where they made the small slit in his stomach heals for it is still draining a bit. I am his nurse and change the soft gauze pads regularly and every day the drainage is smaller so maybe it will stop within the two weeks it is before his Chemo treatments are due to start. His blood count has to be up and the drainage stopped before they can give him his treatment.

I have gotten the materials that I will need now to get started making a doll. Now I need to clean out this room of the glass which is in racks along one wall and the grinder and other items that are on my table. I plan on tackling that job this afternoon. I will take all my glass works that I will be selling to the consignment place and let that gentleman sell them. By the time we hit the road, if we ever do now, I will have made a few dolls.

When Will gets to feeling better we will bring the MH home and we can load all the items we have purchased for it into their proper place. There are a few things now I will have to “borrow” from the house when we do take a trip.

JEAN I certainly do hope the soccer field isn't too soggy and the rain lets up and the kids can play.

DONNA FAYE The smell of Gain is much more pleasant than the shop smell on those pants for sure. Graceous sakes you plug a lot of stuff into your vehicle, but if you do how neat they make those cup holders with all those ports.

Last edited by Maggie; 08-28-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #10  

Good evening, ladies! A nice 83 degrees right now. It was 89 this afternoon. More rain on tap for the weekend but the hurricane has turned far out to sea.

There are men digging at the edge of my backyard - telephone and cable tv both. At least both boxes are open. They are replacing a large cable or - I hope - finally installing FIOS.

The Y closes tonight and will not reopen until Tuesday. It's time for the semi-annual cleaning and floor refinishing. I will be walking and doing my yoga and pilates dvds.

Faye, the delivery drivers must surely know the way to your door blind folded! I hated it when Stan missed the uniform man because there is nothing that takes that smell of grease out of uniforms.

Jean, is there no room to relocate the garden, too? It's a shame to lose it.

Maggie, that's a very good thing Will is doing. I'm sorry it's messing with your RV plans, though. I hope you can post some pictures when you get the dolls made.

Have a wonderful evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #11  

Good morning all. I had to take Jack to work today so I can drive across town and have it out with the delivery supervisor at the post office again. Jack was standing out at the box when the mailman drove up yesterday. He handed Jack two pieces of mail, but I was supposed to get a box of contacts and the two skeins of yarn. I was mad as this happens all the time. It says out for delivery and they don't deliver it. Well, we ate dinner and then I looked online at the USPS site to see what it said and it said they couldn't deliver because there was no secure place to leave it so they left a notice. Uh, no they didn't. Jack looked in the mailbox and out front and no notice, plus the gate was unlocked as UPS delivered later on. On top of that, online it showed the yarn delivery attempt was 3:30 PM and the contacts were 4:50 PM attempted delivery. Now why would they have an hour between them as they were both mailed standard first class mail, no special delivery. I even checked both addresses to make sure the addresses matched up and were right and they were perfect. My bet is it was the relief driver who is too lazy to get out of the truck and walk 10 feet. I am taking my Ipad in and showing this woman the evidence and I am going to let her know I am not pleased as this has happened at least half dozen times. I am going to tell her I am going to call the news stations and report the post office that they aren't delivering the mail if she doesn't do something about this lazy jerk. It is bad enough we have a post office just a mile from the condo and 6 years ago they moved us clear across town to another post office out by the airport, but then to keep having to go out there and get mail when it should have been delivered takes the cake.

One sock done and the second one I have most of the leg done. I am whizzing right along, but really want to get the baby yarn and get the baby socks done so I can wrap and ship it to my dil for her sister's shower.

Jean: Hope Kolby is on the mend. Yes and no with sock patterns. I have a sock book where I go and get measurements for socks and then I take it and the needles size and use the chart to give me my cast on. From there I don't need a pattern. Cuffs are always 2 inches and the rest of the leg is about double that then to do the heel you use half the stitches and on and on and I have done so many I know what I am doing. Basically, I use the book to give me length from heel to toe so I make them long enough. I did find a chart to make different kind of heels though and I use it. What most knitter use is a dutch heel but I like a more rounded heel and it is done a bit differently. This thing I found on the internet gives me about 7 different kinds of heels to choose from.

Susan: Yep, they should know how to get here with as much as I buy online, but as I said above the post office is sorely lacking. No wonder no one wants to use them. Have a good time walking and doing your yoga!

Maggie: Glad Will is on the mend and will be able to get proper medications soon.

Everyone have a great holiday weekend. We have commissary this weekend, our last one until we get back from the cruise. Faye
Old 08-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon! We've had a few more rain drops this morning, and I'm ready for some sunshine! We were sprinkled on at the soccer games last night, enough for me to go get jackets and my umbrella from the car. The fun part was a beautiful rainbow afterwards. Both Kolby and Maddy had good games. Kolby made one goal and almost had another one, close but not close enough. Maddy was goalie and caught several balls flying her way. Ian also had a game and made two touchdowns, score was 32-0! I had my nails done this morning and then braved the grocery store.

Maggie, not much out of the ordinary happening here either. So Will has to do the three months of chemo to check his results against a six month course? Different people I have talked to say it's hurry up and wait. They have to have their blood drawn, checked and ok'd by the doctor, and then wait for the chemo itself. I know you are both anxious to get your motorhome outfitted and ready to roll.

Susan, some of the "powers to wannabes" here want to build a Y. I know you will miss going. They tried 30 years ago and the money backing didn't happen. The college offered their pool and gym for walking, which has turned out to be at their whim and convenience. The pool glitch is lifeguards when the students are gone. Even when the outdoor lifeguards offered to fill in the college wouldn't let them. That's caused hard feelings towards the college naturally. I haven't heard of any plans to relocate the hospital employees' garden spot. Parking will become a premium item as well. Bob is chairman on the Board of Adjustments; the hospital had a ground breaking and big announcement in the media before getting the needed property easements from the board. That upset Bob and made the hospital neighbors mad because they put up their construction fence and moved in the equipment before they were "legal." They just remodeled the surgical area, coffee shop, gift shop, lab, and maternity ward within the last eight years and now they are redoing all of that, plus ER, and adding a new wing of private rooms.

"Gma," I wonder if your mail carrier is related to our sub that I named Idiot! He is always at least one hour, if not two or three, later delivering our mail than our regular guy. Kolby was in good spirits last night and went back to school the day before. I know I will never knit socks, but thanks for the explanation. Hope your trip to the commissary is an easy one tomorrow.

I need to get busy and fix food for the lake tomorrow: baked beans, Snicker salad, fresh veggies, and also put together in one place the "not in the cooler" items. As I've said before, life would be so simple if we didn't have to eat! Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day and the long weekend ahead!

Last edited by Jean; 08-29-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Fabulous Friendly Fantastic Friday

YIPEKIO I got a surprise today that Celebrix is being discounted and I have a coupon for a huge discount and it will be only $4 instead the huge amount we used to pay. The reason being it will go generic in a year or so. I made an appointment with my Doc and will see her on the 2nd of next month and she can write me a prescription. The meds I am taking for my authorities do not work nearly as well as the Celebrix does and I didn’t have any of the negative side effects that some folks have when taking it.

The local market is grilling ribs and so we bought a rack which we will have for dinner along with some salad. I don’t think of what to cook this evening.

After I post this I am going to clean the glass and items out of this office and get set up for doll making. I have two nice tables in here that will be great for all my stuff to be easily gotten to and I can leave my sewing machine out also. Right now it has a place sitting in the floor of the closet in this room. It is a nice double closet with sliding doors. My things are in plastic containers neatly stacked in it and easily gotten to. I just need to get my glass works out of here and that is the plan for today.

DONNA FAYE You sure have some sloppy delivery folks there and dishonest also. Will is doing fine and wants to do more than he really should. He is healing up nicely from the small slits they made in him. I am so glad we have insurance and piggy back insurance for that bill was huge and all we had to pay was zero. Just a great big 0. Life is good.

JEAN How can they get away with remodeling before they get the approval to do it? They haven't yet told Will if he is going to be in the 3 month group or the 6 month group. He will find that out when he has his first chemo session I guess. Yes that is how it works ~ they draw blood to make sure the count is up before they can give the chemo that day. If the count isn't up then you go home and come back later and go through the blood count test again.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #14  

Good morning to you all. It is very overcast this morning, but not cooler for sure. It makes the humidity skyrocket. We are staying in today, but it is supposed to full on rain tomorrow of course since we have commissary duty.

We went out to eat at Cracker Barrel last night. All I can say is UGH! I don't like going there because the chairs are so uncomfortable, but Jack wanted to go since we hadn't been there in a long time. I got meat loaf with no seasoning and the meat was mushy tasting, the mac and cheese was wayyyyy overcooked and mushy, the green beans had no seasoning in them at all and were mush also. Whoever is cooking there needs lessons. We won't be going there again for a long time.

Here is Jackson's first sock and the baby sock. All the thread is from switching colors and I haven't woven them in yet. I just had to get a pic as they are so tiny and cute. I don't know that I would want to knit them very often though. Sheesh it was like knitting with toothpicks and thread! The pattern I found was totally goofed up so I just took her needle size and cast on number and ran with it like I always do. Won't fit a baby for very long, but it will be born in November so it can come home in some nice warm socks, hat and a blanket at least.

I have a menu to plan and a grocery list to make for tomorrow. I am going to leave cleaning upstairs until Monday and do it then as we have no plans for the holiday at all.

Jean: I am sure my sock lesson was clear as mud. It just comes natural to me now though I wouldn't even try it for 8 years because they scared me to death. Once you learn they are a breeze because unless you do fancy stuff, basic socks follow a certain number of circumstances that make it easy. Glad he is feeling better. Sorry you got rained on. I think St Francis could use a big upgrade. The most they are doing is putting in new elevators. There are two sets now besides the freight/patient ones and if you get on the wrong one, you go to a different building and can't get across to the other side without going back and starting over even though it is one big building and not really two. Confusing as the devil if you haven't used them before. It is a big hospital though Baptist is bigger, but it is several different building in a "complex."

Maggie: We have what is called "non-formulary" drugs, Celebrex being one of them which you have to get approval for to take, but then it is fairly inexpensive. I take a bp diuretic, a beta blocker, and a regular bp med drug and my diabetes drug and it doesn't cost me one red cent and they send them 90 days at a time. Jack takes a bp drug, a beta blocker and niacin and doesn't pay anything anymore either. He used to pay $9 for 90 days, but they pay it completely now.

Well girls, I want to get the other little sock made so I can get them washed, dried and then get it all wrapped to ship. You all have a nice Saturday. We are now only 19 days until we leave for Florida and 22 until we leave on the cruise! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babysock.jpg (19.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg leggosock.jpg (57.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Saturday

I am making a change in my eating routine by drinking a health drink for my first meal that is said to help metabolism. I have low metabolism and am hoping this will help me out. It is called Almased® and has been well tested for years and is diabetic friendly. It is rather spendy but actually less than if you bought food for the meal you replaced. We found one health food store here in town that does carry it and I bought a can. It comes plain but I can make it any flavor I prefer. I wanted to get it today because I will start this new part of my program on the first. The first day of a fresh month is always a good day to start something for me. It is 4 p+ per serving when added to water. I can add the points if I mix it with milk and fruit. Since I only eat 2 meals a day I can replace either of them but will mainly replace the first meal. I am really looking forward to giving this a whirl.

DONNA FAYE The sox are darling. You are sch a good knitter. Some of our drugs don't cost anything either. It all depends on ones insurance & piggy back plans. I think it is about time that time has allowed Celebrex a generic to be made so their cost comes way down.