Old 06-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #16  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JUNE MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

This is my weigh day and I stayed the same which I guess is a good thing for I didn’t show a gain. We BBQed a piece of meat last Saturday and had Panini’s that were scrumptious. I am going to make a re-run of that meal this evening since we have some of the meat left and I need to use it up. All this moisture we have been having is bringing more mosquitoes than we are used to having.

Not much happening here this day ~ dogs are currently at the groomer and we will go get them later and take a ride out and visit the buffalo again. We were out there awhile ago and Ferdinand was running around in his pen ~ he is still being kept separate from the females and babies. When the little ones get a bit older then they will let Ferdinand back in the pen with his family. Then some time later the owner will sell off the young ones.

JEAN Sounds like you may or may not be going to the cabin. Whichever it is hopefully you have a great day.

DONNA FAYE We had some rain during the night but it didn't amount to much at all. Hope you have time to have a nice visit with Jacks sister and family.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #17  

Maggie, good for you on the maintain! That is better than a gain any day! I ran errands this afternoon. With the main street construction, going into downtown, it's like an obstacle course trying to get from here to there. I forgot a couple things so will need to go back in a day or two. The trip I'm debating on is a 2 1/2 hour ride to see Bob's aunt. She is a sweetie, I just don't like the ride.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #18  

Talking

Good Morning! The sun is shining, NO wind is blowing, the birds are chirping, and it's a beautiful morning in my neighborhood. I need to run a couple errands I didn't finish yesterday, and maybe have a pedicure. I also need to think about food for visits to the lake while the relatives are there. Rain is predicted for every day for the rest of the week including the weekend, so that may take care of any painting plans for the cabin. Ian's team lost last night, so baseball season is over for us. The funeral for the lady across the street is set for Friday which is the day we planned to visit Bob's aunt. Our option is the visitation the night before. It seems like everything seems to happen in a short amount of time, and then nothing for several days. Crazy.

I have towels in the dryer to fold so better get that done. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!
Old 06-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #19  

Good afternoon gals. I was sure I came in here and posted this morning but I guess not.

My daughter texted me from the ER this morning wanting to know if I had kept the car, which I hadn't. Come to find out she fell and hit her head on Friday and didn't do anything about it until this morning. She has a skull fracture, concussion, some bleeding on the brain that has stopped and a couple hematomas. When she does something she does it up right. She is home now and her son is there so I told her just to take it easy now and to let me know if she needed us for anything.

I got the downstairs cleaned except mopping, which I will do tomorrow and have a load of laundry in the washer to do up and put in the dryer then I am done for the day. I washed a bunch of ears of corn and baggied them up, washed capped and sliced 3 cartons of strawberries and washed blueberries so we are all ready with out fruits and veg again. I sure am going to miss fresh summer fruits. I bought a cantaloupe, but it is not very ripe even thought the outside looked great. I will cut it up and eat it anyway. Jack doesn't like melon at all.

Tonight is crab cakes for Jack, cold shrimp for me, an ear of corn and a nice salad. I had a WW mac and cheese with a slice of crumbled bacon in it for lunch and fresh blueberries. I like the Lean Cuisine Mac and Cheese better, but I had a couple free WW coupons to use up and the commissary didn't have any LC mac and cheese anyway. A few weeks back I won a WW prize and like I told you before the prize was 7 free coupons for frozen meals. Whooopeeee!!! I don't care for most of the WW entrees and snacks. I like LC much better.

I have a good start on my sleeveless tunic sweater for 2016 cruise. It is an easy knit and I am going to make it two sizes smaller and a couple inches longer as I want it to cover my saggy belly. I am working on Thomas's socks and have to finish my hair stylists scarf too so I have plenty to keep me busy. I am relistening to an audio book I listened to several years ago and enjoyed. It is all about rich New Yorkers. She wrote three great books that are very interesting.

Maggie: Keep plugging along it will come off.

Jean: We had a gullywasher yesterday afternoon then it rained overnight. We are dreary today again and supposed to get more rain. Ick, I can't wait for sunny tropical skies even if I have to wear 10000 SPF sunscreen, hat, sunglasses you name it. I am ready for sun and fun. We only booked one excursion to a resort that includes lunch has a beach and several pools, water slides, etc. Jack and Tom are going to go snorkeling and Liz and I are going to sit under umbrellas by the pool and have little umbrella drinks.

Well better go see if the clothes are ready to put in the dryer. Have a nice Tuesday all. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:21 AM   #20  

Good morning to you all. It is cooler this morning, in the low 70's which is nice. I can turn off the ac for awhile. It is supposed to be sunny all day today so we shall see.

Wishing a Happy Birthday to Thomas today. He is 14 years old. I can't believe it. I told Jack this morning it won't be long and he will be college bound. He wants to go to Yale I believe. Big dreams, but he is sure smart enough to go there. With all his charitable efforts and his grades he should be able to get in for sure if he wants to go there. Long way from home though.

I sure hope Jack's sister and family get into town at a reasonable hour. Poor Jack gets up at 5 AM so he is not going to want to be out and about at 10 PM at night. I think they are deluded at how long it will take to get here. I am not their biggest fan. I tolerate her and her husband is an alcoholic and hasn't grown up frankly. We haven't seen them since I had my last colon surgery, which is 2007 so it has been a long while. I don't know if they are going to want to repeat it coming back or not, but I hope not unless it is a weekend day. It is just too tough on Jack to be out so late then try and get up and get going for work the next day.

Today I tackle the sweeping and mopping then tomorrow it is the upstairs again. I just keep thinking for every week I have cleaning to do, it makes it one week closer to vacation. At least Jack has a 3 day weekend over the fourth. We don't go out, but he is going to do some grilling on the 4th for us as he had me buy a rack of ribs.

Well girls, you all have a good middle of the week. I am going to sit and knit for awhile then will get up and get some breakfast and get the day started. Have a good one! Faye
Old 06-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #21  

Talking

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, again NO wind, low humidity, and it's a beautiful day in my neighborhood. This was my morning to work in the gift shop. Bob met me for lunch in the coffee shop and I stayed later to visit with a couple gals. A nap sounds inviting right now!

"Gma," how is Kelly feeling? How scary for her! Your too small tunic sounds like a good incentive to stay on your weight loss plan. to Thomas! I have no doubt Thomas will reach his goal of attending Yale! Have you heard from Jacks's sister yet? I will send positive vibes for an early visit.

I need to do some much needed picking up around here. My cupboard still isn't done and I am more than a little irritated. Hope you all enjoy the rest of the day!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #22  

Good morning ladies. It is pretty humid this morning and we are supposed to get more rain. I am kind of tired this morning, but need to get up and around and get going.

Oooh his sister makes me sooooo mad. They were supposed to call us when the got to Little Rock, which is two hours from here so we knew about what time they would get in. Well she never called and I had Jack call her around 7 to find out what was going on as I was sure they left late which meant a late night for us and we were all dressed and stuff to go out. "Oh we are somewhere around Little Rock I was just about to call you...." Yeah sure she was. Well, after all that it was a no show as they got into a bunch of construction work and were going to be really late getting into Memphis. Now she wants us to wait until they come back through. I had him ask her what day they would be coming back through. "Oh we don't know that. I will call you when we come back it will probably be sometime over the weekend." I don't know how in the heck they are going to go to W VA to pick up this band equipment today, onto VA Beach to see his brother and back here by this weekend. That is a long way back and forth. So we are just supposed to sit here and wait on them I guess. I told Jack in no uncertain terms I do not want them coming to the house. My house is in an upheaval with us getting stuff together to get rid of to paint and stuff next year and our vacation stuff is all over the place, etc. They show up here without calling and I am going to be very, very mad.

It is upstairs bathrooms for me today. I finished up downstairs yesterday so that is all done for a few days except for daily stuff.

Jean: I checked on Kelly yesterday and she said she is ok except a headache, which is to be expected. The poor thing swallowed a crown last night so now she has that to deal with too. What's the holdup on your cabinet? I would be irked too. I told Jack we get back from vacation and I am sending him to Uhaul to buy some boxes so we can get all this stuff out of here and then can get to painting right after the first of the year. When spring rolls around so it is warmer I want the doors replaced and get that done and a couple other things to get the ball rolling on this condo a bit. I am sit of living like a hoarder here because I have no storage and what I do have leaks so you can't put stuff away. I checked and the garage is not big enough to put cars and pallets in it to put stuff on. It is all just a big pain in the butt.

You all have a good Thursday. I am off to do a bit of knitting on T's sock and the sweater this morning before going upstairs and knocking around. Faye
Old 06-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #23  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, a breeze is blowing, and the humidity is rising. So far no rain, which is good. I spent the morning having coffee and "warming" a booth with my retired teacher friend. I stopped by WM and, of course, they didn't have the container I wanted for cat food. They had two a couple weeks ago and I should have picked one up then. This afternoon I decluttered the kitchen island . . . . again. Not so sure I would put one in again as it my favorite "park it" place on my way by. Bob will be home in awhile and we will go to the neighbor lady's visitation at the funeral home.

"Gma," I sympathize with you over Jack's sister! I don't like surprises like that either. I hope she will call ahead of time if she plans to stop. The place working on my cabinet does custom work for banks, private homes, businesses, or anyone wanting/needing shelves or cupboards. They are always busy and the designer told me they would work it in between "big" jobs. It's been three weeks today that Bob took it in. I bet they'll want paid asap. I've got you beat at being a hoarder! One bedroom is my catch-all I'm sorry to say. The path through is pretty wide though. The church is having a Relay for Life rummage sale in August. I plan to be a BIG contributor!

I can't believe how often this iPad changes spelling to make a word that makes absolutely NO sense!

Hope you all are enjoying a nice day wherever you are!
Old 06-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #24  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday & a Very Nice Hot Sunny Day

It is another hot day here in the ♥-Land and we got some rain during the night along with a nice lightening show and thunder.

After Will gets back from the museum we will go on our daily drive and visit the buffalo then he has to go to a dinner business meeting later with that group.

I am excited to have found those tiny folding knives (I sent you gals an e-mail with the picture) for one will be great to have on my bracelet. On the page I was looking at on the internet there were several of that one inch size that would work and if the one I ordered was out of stock I would choose one of the other cute ones (I got the last ones in stock). My order comes with a guarantee that the knives work as they said so that is a good thing plus they are sending along a little sharpener which they will charge for in future orders. They will ship my order to me tomorrow which will take a few days to get here for it comes from out east and lots of the folks that work there are currently on vacation. They usually ship the next day.

JEAN Isn't it lovely when the wind doesn't blow but just a nice breeze is present. I know it is fun to visit with old friends like you do.

DONNA FAYE Hope your daughter gets back to exact soon from that accident. What a scarey moment for her. Ride with the tide and go with the flow when it comes to your sis-in-law. You will never change her ~ grin and bear it and you will get through it. They know you are planning a cruise and have to get things rounded up so don't worry about your house.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #25  

Good morning to you all. Another muggy day here in Elvisland. We are going to get more rain, UGH!! I am pretty fed up with no sunshine. I cannot gripe though as I said I wouldn't once we got out of that cold weather.

Really, really big scare here yesterday. Everything was fine all day yesterday. I was eating when I needed to eat, took my morning meds, washed a load of clothes and cleaned upstairs bathrooms, knitted, read, etc. At 2 PM I got up and got my insulin and took it. At around 3:05 I felt my blood sugar drop and it just kept getting worse. I called Jack as he had left to come home and was going to stop at the store for me and told him to buy a bag of m and m's or a couple candy bars because I was having a low blood sugar episode. I was shaking badly, sweating up a storm and my heart felt like it was pounding out of my chest. I have had several less serious low blood sugar episodes since last time I was at the doctor so have to speak to them about the insulin part because I am afraid I should be quitting it now. Well, as I was on the phone with him I knew I was in trouble and he said call 911 that he had to turn around as he was almost to the store and he was coming home. I told him I was going to get some of his oreos and oj and would keep monitoring. My blood sugar was 35! It is bad if it is below 70. I was scared to death, I had to go to the bathroom and I was shaking so bad I couldn't stand up but knew calling 911 here was a waste because they put you on hold all the time and I needed to fix it immediately. I forced myself up and with as much care and as fast as I could went straight to the pantry and got a package of his oreos, which is 6 to the pack. I went into the bathroom and plopped down on the toilet figuring I could at least sit there until Jack got home and I started shoveling oreos in as fast as I could. I wasn't feeling any better even worse so I forced myself up, got into the kitchen and almost kerplunked on the floor leaning over to get the oj out of the fridge because I was lightheaded. I got the biggest glass we had and poured it full and prayed I could get to the living room, which I did, but spilled a bunch on the kitchen floor because I was shaking so bad. I drank it as fast as I could and ate the rest of the cookies and took my b sugar 3 more times seeing it was gradually coming up. Jack got home and I had him get me another glass of oj and drank it down and did another test and by this time I had it over 70 and climbing so I knew I was going to be ok. I laughed and told him I was sorry but wouldn't be cooking dinner as after one of these I have residual effects. I had a horrible headache and the worst menstrual type cramps you can ever imagine and a horrible backache and felt like I was going to throw up from drinking so much oj and so fast. He hurried and got his clothes changed and went across the street and got bbq for dinner. I told him to get me a regular coke to drink figuring it wasn't going to hurt to put some extra sugar in me. We had dinner and I took my b sugar a couple more times and was back in the 80's but the headache and nausea stayed with me as well as the horrible cramping. I felt well enough by then to get up and moved around so took a dose of aleve and that helped some. I told Jack I had not skipped any meals in fact around 2 or so had had a serving of baked lays potato chips. I had slept the night before so wasn't sleep deprived and these are the two biggest reasons for low blood sugar, not eating or not sleeping. It had to be the insulin and for me my hormones jumping around like they do doesn't ever help. Jack went to work this morning and the last thing he said was for me to be careful. I told him I would and would texted him on and off to let him know I was ok. I am fine now except a bit of a headache still.

Today I am just taking it easy and doing nothing.

Jean: If I put in a kitchen island in my kitchen there would be no where to walk. Jack would fling things on it I am sure so I am glad for a galley style kitchen though I have very limited counter space and no where to add any. Like you the auto correct drives me nuts. I noticed in my last post several words that make no sense in the sentence and I make enough mistakes all by myself. Well, I sure hope you get your cabinet soon. How is your weekend shaping up? Are you going to the cabin this weekend? I think next year we are going to go up to Mall of America for a short vacation and to get things for the following year's long cruise. We go through Iowa according to the Yahoo maps so I thought wow maybe we could have dinner or whatever with you and Bob. Nope, you are 4 hours out of the way. Besides, Jack wants to take all interstate and the Yahoo directions have us taking US roads so he changed the route.

Maggie: Hope you like your knife for your bracelet. I am perfectly pleasant to her and her husband, but you know some people just rub you the wrong way and she did some pretty horrible things to us over the years. I always forgive if for no one else but myself, but I do not forget. I just don't enjoy their company much. She is a know it all and monopolizes any conversation she has with you. I imagine she is pretty insecure, which I can sympathize with, but she is awful petty too, which I can't stand. So hopefully she will just breeze through and her brother can see her for a couple hours and that will be that for awhile again.

You all have a great weekend. I think we are going to try again to see the movie we didn't go to last weekend. Faye
Old 06-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #26  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Fantastic Friday

It is another hot one here in the ♥-Land and we have just gotten back from a drive about. The female buffalos were in the watering hole up past there tummies which was probably feeling good and getting rid of some biting flies. The three little girls were lying around the edge swishing their tails to beat the band. What was really neat was there was a bus load of disabled folks getting to see the buffalo today. There is a service in this town which will pick up the disabled and take them shopping mostly at Wal-Mart ® and wait for them while they shop. I think it is so neat that the driver will take them out of town to see the buffalo for otherwise I guess they wouldn’t get to see them.

DONNA FAYE Surely your doctor can adjust your meds so you don’t have these episodes that are so scary. I can’t imagine going through what you are going through nor do I have had any friends with diabetes that has. Something in your system is just not working properly it would seem since you have been eating properly to keep it in check.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #27  

Good Evening! It has been a rainy day but the sun has come out now. Bob's two brothers and sister-in-law came this morning and we made the two and a half hour drive to have lunch with Bob's 97 year old aunt. She is a hoot! Aunt Row needs new glasses but can't decide if she wants to spend the money at her age. She lives in an apartment which is in an independent, assisted living, health care complex, and has since before she retired at 88. Aunt Row cooks all her own meals, reads to the nursing home residents, calls numbers for Bingo, plays cards three times a week, uses an iPad, and memorizes jokes to tell during a lull when she is hosting a special event. We ate lunch at the Red Lobster which is her most favorite place to go. She even baked a cake which we brought home. She is a remarkable lady!

Maggie, what would you cut with such a tiny knife? I grew up with a herd of buffalo and never thought much about them until you began writing about them. There is a herd not far from here that we visited a couple years ago. It's a nature center so have to get out of the cars and go to the look out deck to see them. They are not close and personal by the road. We saw some really big ones when we visited Yellowstone.

"Gma," I am so glad you are ok! What a scary thing, for you, and especially when you were home alone. It's good you had oj and Oreos on hand. I would have to look at a map to see what connects with it, but interstate 35W goes north/south through Iowa. It might be easier to go around Chicago and connect with #90 in MN. Unless you have specific stores you want to shop in, the Mall of America is too big, imo, to just browse through. It could have changed a lot since it has been many years since we've been there.

I'm not sure if we will go to the lake tomorrow; I'm holding out for Sunday since we were all together today, and they are leaving Monday. Guess I should scrounge up something for supper. Enjoy your evening!
Old 06-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #28  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Hot & Rainey Saturday

We had a real gulley washer during the night and all the loud thunder and lightning kept most, if not all, of the neighborhood dogs joining in and needless to say we didn’t get a good night’s sleep. We have 100% chance of rain today so we are in for some more of it. This area of the ♥-land is behind on the moisture table so it is welcomed. We went several years without much rain at all here.

JEAN The fact that the knife has a little sharp folding blade doesn’t mean that I will have many uses for it. You can buy a lot of miniature things ~ even cuff link cigarette lighters that actually work. I have several charms that work but can’t be used for things like the knife, fork, & spoon are too small to eat with, the scale is too small to weigh food on, the bar bell too small to exercise with and so on. However all the charms represent something on my walk down this road to thin. The buffalo pen is double ~ meaning there is a fence then a few feet out there is another one with signs on it to not get in the pen for it is dangerous. Those buffalo can turn on a dime and run very fast. It is easy enough to get a good view of the animals and take pictures like some folks do. It is neat when the little girl buffalo come walk along the inner fence line for one can get a great look at them then. It is a very small herd of 4 females, one bull and now the 3 babies. They keep the bull in an adjacent fence as long as the little ones are still little so he won’t harm them. He is big and mighty looking ~ quite a nice looking buffalo.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-28-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #29  

Good Morning! The sun has been in and out, just a breeze, high humidity, and more rain in the forecast. I counted the gift shop money, paid their bills, and have laundry in both washer and dryer. Bob wants to go to the lake this afternoon; he needs to have a decision made with his brothers as to his sister's share of the cabin. That would be easier today than tomorrow with kids around to interrupt. Other than that, not much on the agenda in my world.

Maggie, sorry about your lack of sleep last night. Been there although not because of barking dogs. It's very humid here today. We sure don't need any more rain for awhile!

My dryer is buzzing! Enjoy your day!

Last edited by Jean; 06-28-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #30  

Good Afternoon! We are at the cabin and have had a variety of weather. It was very windy when we got here this morning, the wind switched directions several times, dark clouds, sunshine, and now there is no wind and puffy white clouds in a bright blue sky. The kids have been in and out of the water since they got here this morning. Some of the adults are visiting out in the yard while Amanda and I are holding down the fort inside. I am too lazy to drag another lawn chair out of the shed.

Grand kids are heading towards the cabin -- they must be hungry! . Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!