Old 05-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #16  

Good Morning! It poured rain early this morning to the point where streets were flooding on my way to church. I just went to the bank with the gift shop deposit, and it is misting hard enough to turn the wipers on. I'm ready for some days full of sunshine! I have no plans for the day except to sort through the clutter on the island and work on the afghan. Ian has his first game tonight but Bob has practice for singing on Sunday. There is another game Friday night, soccer tomorrow or Thursday. With the rain, postponed games are really extending the soccer season.

"Gma" -- I find it interesting that neither the girls nor boys soccer teams broadcast their scores although the refs do write them down, as do the coaches. It's supposed to be all about learning the rules and lessons in good sportsmanship. The kids always ask the score at the end of the games. It would be nice if all the coaches showed the same amount of enthusiasm and effort put into coaching. Have you thought about investing in a small refrigerator for the garage? We have one that sits on Bob's work bench, bigger than the small square dorm ones but not full size. It has door shelves and a small freezer too. We got our's at SAMs but have seen them at WM too. to both of you on losses this week!

I need to think about something for lunch. Hmmmmm . . . Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday today!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #17  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous and Cold Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN APRIL MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

This is a chilly day in the 50˚s and it got over 100˚s yesterday. Yesterday was an air condition day and today the heater is on. We did get rain yesterday which was quite welcome and perked up all the greenery around. Hopefully now all the wheat won’t have to be plowed under. We do have a 30% chance of rain today which would be nice since all we got yesterday is probably soaked in by now.

I don’t have a thing different on my ticket today that needs to be punched. I will do the regular house work which is always there to do over and over.

Those herb holders I got awhile back sure do their job great. When I changed the water that goes in the bottom and they were all perky and fresh as when I put them in the containers a week or so ago.

JEAN Our plan is to go to Yellowstone come September for school will be started and there won’t be an overabundance of vacationers there at that time. We don’t enjoy being there when there is a huge number of people and it is a time before they shut down the roads to the interior of the park. Since we have lived at both ends of that park and gone in it several times we want to visit again these many years later.

DONNA FAYEToo bad that you didn’t get into beading awhile back because I had some really good beading books that explained many patterns with pictures and explanations of patterns step by step and were top notch. They were placed in the sale bin at the local library and sold very quickly. I would have loved to have given them to you instead of the library sale bin.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #18  

Good morning to you all. It is going to be another hot one here then take a big dip for a couple days and only get into the 60's. Of course it is going to rain all day tomorrow when I go out to lunch with Kelly.

I decided to make my stylist a scarf to go with her hat and mittens so after many trial and errors with regards to patterns I liked, I finally found one she can wear in winter, but also in spring temps as it has an open weave. I have been looking for a bamboo/cotton sock yarn to make ankle socks for Thomas this year for Christmas. I looked up the top 10 running socks on the Runners World magazine website and number 3 are bamboo and cotton socks. I found what I want and though they don't have white I found a neon that would work I think and give him good moisture wicking so he doesn't get blisters. I would like to make Jackson a pair of socks with soccer balls, but am having trouble finding a pattern and I don't do pattern design as such.

I bought a pair of shoes on HSN yesterday that I hope will be good for excursion days to walk around a lot. They are Tony Little brand and supposed to be great for walking. They are slips ons, which are nice too. Though they had some cute colors, I went with just plain white until I see if I like them. They have a neoprene heel inside and a gel on the heel outside and have a great tread so we shall see. I got them at a great price and even saw a video from a podiatrist that recommends them.

Maggie: I hope I do like it as it would be a nice way to make things for family and friend gifts other than knitting. I have done a bit of beading on knitting and have a beading on knitting book, but never done actual jewelry beading. Hope you can take your trip out west in Sept. We will be going way south at that time.

Jean: I don't know why they do that with soccer either other than it hasn't been too many years that soccer has taken hold here so a lot of times they don't even have regulation soccer fields. I know they didn't with Thomas, just a big area marked off in sections for different games. Hope your rain has passed through. I wouldn't want to put a fridge out in the garage with the way it leaks. We can't get them to fix the concrete on any of them so most garages leak around the bottom and mini flood when we have heavy rains.

Well gals it is almost breakfast time. Have a great day today. I am going to tackle the downstairs today I think. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #19  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it's a cold 40 degrees outside! Wind chill is anybody's guess. I have to sub in a skit practice this morning; our P.E.O. Chapter is in charge of the "entertainment" for a group meeting to be held while we are in MN. I'm glad I won't be here as acting in front of a group isn't my thing. This afternoon I need to make a grocery list and head to the store. We have a 6:30 soccer game tonight, for Kolby, and need to stop in a couple stores before. Another day where I won't get much done at home, but that's ok.

Maggie -- I would like to visit Yellowstone again. We were there in 1990 and I remember how the burned areas looked. It is beautiful country out there.

"Gma" -- The weather is just unpredictable all over! Believe me I am dressing much warmer for the game tonight! I figure I can always take the layers off! I found a missed stitch on my afghan and several rows back. I finally cut the yarn and made a ball after having a tangled mess from what I ripped out. My biggest mistake was making the whole thing too wide and it barely fits on the needle so it's hard to check unless I do it after every looped row. Never again! Good luck with the socks for your grandsons! You could put a little fridge up on cement blocks or something as sturdy.

I need to get dressed and ready to go. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #20  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday and Cloudy

It is a cloudy day here in the ♥-Land with a zero chance of rain. We don’t have any predicted in the near future either except maybe a 30% chance rain on Saturday. Things can always change though. While out and about I observed how the clouds are absolutely beautiful. Big and fluffy with gray bottoms and small spaces of sky blue in-between them. I would hope they would gather together and spill their water in nice drops. It is great to see the hay crops that survived the dry spell perk up. The ones that were too far gone have been plowed under.

Here is a myth that WW should heed: “Myth: You should drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. The eight-glasses-a-day myth came to life back in 1945 when the Food and Nutrition Board of National research Council said adults should take in about two-thirds of a gallon of water a day. What didn’t get reported in the papers is that they included the water inside your food as well, where MOST of your body’s water comes from. No need to carry around a gallon jug looks like we are not all walking around in a dehydrated state after all. Remember this “rule of thumb” if you’re thirsty – you’ve waited too long.” (Printed in a CCPOA publication.)

We just got word that our friends from Texas are coming for a visit in the middle of next month. It will be so nice to see them once again.

JEAN That is very nice of you to sub in that skit. We lived on one end of Yellowstone during their last big fire in 86 or 87 and got showered with some of it's ashes. They were having a "let it burn" policy in effect that year. They don't have that policy anymore ~ it burned way to much with that policy in effect. The forest takes quite a ling while to heal from a fire that large.

DONNA FAYE We plan on taking a trip one day down south to Ponca City where there is a great hamburger place the size of a small garage that makes the best ever hamburgers. No other reason to visit there but to have a great lunch. Our favorite places to eat are scattered throughout this country. I have some beautiful pieces of beaded jewelry that a friend made for me and I imagine yours will turn out as nice as these are. Take pictures and post them so we can see your handiwork please.

Last edited by Maggie; 05-13-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #21  

Good Morning! The sun is shining but it's another cold morning. I'm excited! The leaves have finally started to pop out on our trees. On our way to Sioux City, yesterday, we noticed the corn is starting to come through the soil in spite of the cold weather. Kolby's team won their first game last night, and he made two goals! He was so tickled! It was cold and windy; I wore a turtleneck, sweatshirt, nylon jacket, and a lighter weight winter jacket, gloves, and had a blanket wrapped around my legs. I was warm! Again there were some dressed in shorts and sandals, but had hooded sweatshirts while they tried to keep warm. Dumb, and to think they are raising children!

Maggie -- I always had a hard time getting in the 8 glasses of water that WW recommended. I was glad when they included the amount of liquid in other beverages. Guess I'm just not much of a drinker, and need to work on that. I always think of the animals caught in forest fires.

Today is my lunch bunch and a stop at the Hallmark store for a couple of graduation cards. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 05-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #22  

Good morning, ladies. It's only 65 degrees now, after being 88 yesterday. We are still fogged in and it's nearly noon.

My allergy tests on Friday were all negative except for those I know about and they were still not testing much so she did a gluten sensitivity test and she called this morning and said it was positive for celiac disease. I am going to the dietician next week for gluten free diet advice.

Monday I went to applique at Bella Fabrics and last night was quilt guild meeting. Thursday is Ladies of the evening and Friday we get started on setting up for the Quilt Show on Saturday. I'll be glad when that is over.

Faye, those socks for Thomas sound great. I have some bamboo ones I wear to the gym because my feet sweat so much. They make bamboo quilt batting and it is a dream to hand quilt.

Jean, you are one devoted set of grandparents to brave the cold to watch a soccer game. I so hate to be cold.

Maggie, I always go by the color of my urine to judge if I'm getting enough liquids. As long as its a very pale yellow, I feel I'm good to go. That said, I do drink about 10 cups a day because my medications give me dry mouth.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #23  

Good afternoon ladies. I came in here several hours ago and got called away and never remembered to come back in. It is rainy and cool today, but should turn around and be sunny again starting tomorrow.

I got the best strawberries at the commissary on Sunday, which is rare, but I looked on the plastic carton and they came from Mississippi so they were picked correctly. I hope they still have them next week when we shop as I plan to get more. Jack put them on lowfat ice cream last night and commented on how good they are. I love them just cut up with Truvia on them.

Finished my mittens and working now on the scarf full time. It is an easy lace pattern so shouldn't take too long to get it done. I will then have to figure out something to knit. My bff loved her footies and hat and scarf. She said they were all so soft. I told her they were all machine washable and dryable so she didn't have to hand wash anything. I was glad she like them and the purple went with her tan coat.

Tonight is hamburger gravy over potatoes and green beans. I haven't decided exactly what fruit I will have for dessert.

Jean: Congrats to Kolby on his win!!! Hope you had a nice time with your lunch bunch today. When my sister and her husband lived in Indiana when we did, her youngest son was in high school and we used to freeze to death going to his game every Friday night. Jay was never involved in sports past one year in little league so I never had to do that when he was growing up. We always had a fun time hanging with them though.

Susan: There are so many gluten free choices nowadays it makes it so much easier for people who have troubles. I thought Thomas could use the socks on daily runs or biking then use his expensive socks when he did marathons. My baby is doing a triathlon this weekend!!! I think his dad is doing it with him. Can't believe he is going to be 14 in a little more than a month.

Maggie: We were searching this morning for a restaurant to eat at on Saturday night in Fort Lauderdale. We finally found a nice family steak/seafood restaurant we are going to try. It is fun looking for new places you have never been.

Well girls, better go and get the hangers I ordered put away that came today. You all have a great afternoon. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conniesstuff.jpg (27.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #24  

Good Morning! We had sunshine for about an hour, now the clouds have rolled in. It was 32 degrees this morning and I saw a neighbor scraping frost from her windshield. This is just nuts! I've been to get my nails done and need to do some dusting, vacuuming, and sort through a pile of magazines. This afternoon I'm going to the bank! In 34 years, that I have had my own checking account, I have always balanced each month. This month I was off $145.10; I can't find it and neither can Bob.

Susan -- You are one busy quilting bee! "Someone" decided to serve everyone gluten free bread at our Easter communion. It was the driest bread I've ever tasted! The biggest problem was that the pieces were cut too big and our cups too small to hold enough to wash anything down. I tore a little off mine, and stuck the rest in my purse. Usually we have a choice of gluten free wafers or regular bread cubes. I know bakeries in larger cities bake gluten free bread items and our local one will upon request.

"Gma" -- Good luck to Thomas and his dad this weekend! I guess the locals are planning one for here on the 4th of July. Our strawberries are beginning to look better each week. If I haven't cleaned them, Bob will do it. I saw a hint pushing a drinking straw up from the bottom. Supposedly the stem pops right out. I just cut mine. The hat and mittens turned out so cute! I love the bright colors.

I need to get busy! Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Old 05-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #25  

Good afternoon ladies. 84 degrees but I still haven't had to turn on the AC because the ceiling fans keep me cool enough. I'm always cold so now I feel just right.

I have been thinking about that Phillips activity monitor that I bought from WW and can't use now because you have to have a WW membership. I really liked it because I could wear it on a chain and it was water resistant. I was looking for a new water resistant one and Phillips came up in the search. Turns out they now have a program of their own you can subscribe to. I sent them an email to see if it is the same monitor but it looks exactly like it in the picture. It seems to me someone is missing out on a great opportunity if they don't have a program so you can continue to use these with a WW membership. There must be thousands out there.

Faye, I've been getting delicious strawberries at Kroger. Today I got blueberries, blackberries and raspberries, cherries, red grapes, a pineapple, and cherries. Yum!

Jean, gluten is what makes bread light so the gluten free tend to be heavier. I don't need bread. Doing low carb, I've already eliminated some of the problem foods. Gluten is in 90% of the foods in the grocery store! I hope you get your bank account balanced.

Hi, Maggie!

Have a wonderful day. Ladies of the Evening tonight.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #26  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday and Cloudy

We stopped by the shop that our friend has that sells fresh baked cheesecake and other interesting things. I didn’t go in and when Will came out with 2 slices of cheesecake he had a surprise for me. Awhile back he bought me a 1.7 Fl. ounce small bottle of Mad Dog Revenge Habanero Chile Extract that has a heat level of Extreme. It came with a disclaimer list of 6 facts. Today he got me another couple more bottles of hot sauce. One is a 2 oz small bottle from Makers Mark with a heat level of 4. The other bottle is larger and is 5 oz and is from Dave’s Gorumet Insanity Sauce and is touted as “The Original Hottest Sauce in the Universe” with a heat level of 10+. You are instructed to use it a drop at a time keeping it away from eyes, pets, and children. He also bought me a package of microwave popcorn that is A** Kickn’ Habanero Kick Yo A** Hot! I am going to have to try these items with care. However, I do love “mo hotta, mo betta.”

We still have a nice cloud cover and got just a spit of rain. Maybe the clouds will let more rain out this evening.

We are going out to eat at our favorite Mexican place tonight and by now I know how to count my points there.

SUSAN It is best if you can get along without running an air conditioner. I love all the fresh fruit that Kroger gets. They have a wonderful buyer for that department.

JEAN That is a mystery in your account that I certainly hope the bank can figure out for you. I hope no one got in there and played games with your money.

DONNA FAYE Let us know how you like that restaurant. It is fun to try new places. Isn't that a good feeling that your friend liked the things you made for her. It is always nice to have your things appreciated by the receiver.

Last edited by Maggie; 05-15-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #27  

Good morning ladies. It is still cool here today and will be through the weekend then is going to really heat up. I will be glad for the 60 degree temp for tomorrow as the bead shop isn't air conditioned, which I find nuts in this part of the country. It was so bad when I went to pay my fee and get my beads that I was so and wet from sweat when I left and had to crank the ac down in the car to cool myself off.

My dil's sister had her new baby girl a few days ago so I made a sun hat for her yesterday and am making one exactly like it for her 5 year old sister. I went and found a pattern for 6-9 year olds for a regular stocking type hat that used the same yarn and needle size. I saw on the baby pattern that she cast on double the head size for the floppy brim so I just took the cast on number from the stocking cap and doubled it, knitted the brim then decreased back to the head size and I am about 1/3 way finished with the hat part so I should be able to finish today. I used some stash yarn in peony pink that I made my niece's hat and scarf with so it will only cost me for mailing.

I had to buy another ipad cord yesterday and the one I had wasn't very old. I don't know why it went kaputz so fast.

My "cheeky" shoes should be here today and I am anxious to see if they will work. I may wear them tomorrow to see how they do. I will be stuck with them if I wear them out so I may just wait and wear them around the house on the carpet to see how they feel and if they don't seem like I like them I will send them back.

Jean: Boy it was cold at your house again. Your heating and cooling system is going to be all confused. I balance our accounts everyday especially since I have had my bank visa card hacked three times. Hope you can find where the money went. That is quite a bit not to be able to find out what it is or where it went. It sure is nice in this day and age to be able to get into your bank account without having to go to the bank and go through pages of stuff with a customer service person. We even applied for our car loan online and got an answer back in less then 60 seconds!

Susan: My daughter has to watch her carbs because of her autoimmune disease. One of the things it messes with is her intestines. She had to be careful with milk products and fat in her diet too when the stuff becomes active. It causes IBS and in severe cases Crohn's disease, which can be a killer. Hope you feel better with gluten free stuff. Jack is getting us more grapes, cucumber, salad fixings, strawberries, etc after work tonight. We went through the strawberries lickety-split since they were so good.

Maggie: I like sirrache chili hot sauce. Jack doesn't eat hot, but I like to put in it eggs and things sometimes.

Hope you all have a great weekend. Hopefully my beading class goes well! Faye
Old 05-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #28  

Good Morning! Another cold, cloudy day in my corner of the world. It was 32 when I came downstairs and the birds were ice skating on the bird bath! Bob covered my flowers last night; I don't know why but last nights temperature of 32 was colder than the 32 degrees the previous night. The weatherman said so! I have a load of towels that should be dry and ready to fold. We are hoping to stop for a quick visit with our brain tumor friend on our way to Ian's game. He starts radiation and chemo together on Monday, every day, for six weeks. What a not-so-fun way to spend the summer! We have a funeral tomorrow morning and Bob sings at church on Sunday.

Susan -- It would be nice if you can use your activity monitor through a non-WW source. Either my taste buds have changed or bread makers are changing their recipes. Bread brands that I have bought over the years just doesn't taste the same as they used to.

Maggie -- Enjoy your new hot sauce! Just the name sounds way too hot for me! After spending time in AZ, Bob's parents started putting salsa on their food. I can do medium/mild and will pick out the jalapeños if I find any. Our kids like more spice than we do.

"Gma" -- I'm taking my winter coat to the game again tonight! I can always go sit in the car as a last resort. I hope it stays cool for your class tomorrow. I can't imagine the bead shop not having air. The hats sound cute! I'm anxious to see a picture when you are finished.

I need to get busy. Hope you all enjoy your day!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #29  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Fantastic Friday

It is a cooler day today in the high 60˚s and it sure feels good. We have been out and about and I had a nice conversation with a gentleman in Wal*Mart’s parking lot who stopped by the Jeep and to ask questions about it. Will came back and the conversation continued for quite awhile. The guy knew about a lot of the places we know in CA and some of the happenings. Will gets a kick out of it when he comes back to the Jeep and never knows who I will be talking to. Life is good.

We went by the Fort Hays Historical Building to get a list of Generals that were ever in charge of the fort throughout history. Will needs it for some historical research he is doing for the museum. It is interesting the vast historical western history this place has.

For dinner tonight I am thawing some of those yummy burger pillows I made awhile back and froze and some left over potatoes and gravy from the other night. The salad will be a new thing.

JEAN Now that is cold for this time of the year. Since I grew up in CA I had a lot of Mexican food and I always liked the hot chili peppers. These little bottles may never get opened for they are way hotter than I am used to enjoying. They sure look cute sitting on my little shelf in the kitchen.

DONNA FAYE Are you talking about the Sirrache chiles grown in Thailand and the sauce bottled in CA? What heat index does the kind you use have? Will can't eat hot stuff since he had his gall bladder out. Having mine out didn't affect me that way, thank goodness for I do like my chilies.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #30  

Good morning all. It has rained all morning and it is pretty cool so I am wearing jeans and tshirt to my bead class in a couple hours. Hopefully the shop is comfortable.

I finished the baby and her sister's hat. I think they came out cute. They only took me a couple days and I tore out the big sister's hat because to me it looked to big. I had it completely done, but thought it was too big for her so I hope it fits.

We have been watching the tree house show on animal planet and it is really interesting to see the houses he makes.

Jean: Hope you didn't freeze at the game. Tom and Thomas are doing a triathlon today and it is muddy and cold and wet so I am sure it isn't pleasant. Here's my boy on the bike race part. They did the sprint today and do the Olympic tomorrow, which I guess is longer and harder.

Maggie:Yes, the hot sauce is Thailand and it is hot. I love it when we go to Genghis Grill and I put low sodium soy and this hot sauce on it. Hope you are warming up a bit.

You gals have a nice day. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hopeandfrida.jpg (12.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg hopeandfrida2.jpg (17.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg thomasonbike.jpg (32.2 KB, 5 views)