Worldly Chicks"March-ing Toward Our Goals Supported By Our Friends"

You're on Page 8 of 18
Go to
  • Morning all,
    Flat stack busy so can't stick around although I am reading the posts. Been a bit social this week as well so haven't had much computer time in the evening.
    Tonight is the light show and then bed before flying off to Brisbane for the weekend tomorrow. I will be posting between flights

So I will see you then.

Happy Birthday to Ace and to Annie's DD's DP. Good luck to all of them.

Gotta go get some bits done before the hoardes arrive
  • Good afternoon ladies,

I just took a 1/2 hour walk on my lunch hour. My back is telling me I should've done only 20 minutes. Thankfully, there is a bench along the trail or I wouldn't have made it more than 10 minutes. It's warm outside, probably mid-70s at least. It was a nice walk though...and if I start walking on the trail at lunch time on a regular basis, eventually I should be able to go further. A lot of people at my company walk on the trail at lunch time, and some even run (since we have shower facilities).

Laura - I hope your BF is doing ok.

Shad - Enjoy the light show tonight! So nice that you get to go home for the weekend. Do you have any plans?

Much love to all,
  • A Few Photos from My Lunchtime Walk
    1. The lovely walking path next to my office building. The paved trail starts in downtown San Jose and heads south for over 15 miles.

2. California's State Flower - The California Poppy (it grows as a wildflower, but you can also get seeds/plants in a nursery.)

3. Not a Fiddler on the Roof, but a Fiddler on the Trail. A man who works at one of the local tech companies found a shady, scenic spot to play his fiddle and enjoy his lunch break.

4. Part of the range of hills that runs just east of San Jose. During a normal rainy winter, these hills are much greener. A few weeks ago before our recent rains, these hills were completely brown...so it's nice to see that they've greened up a bit. There's a farm/ranch on the hill and cows are often grazing on the hillside.

• Laura
    So glad that your bf went to ER. Did he drive himself? I don't mind the 3 or 4 inches of snow. My sister's gall bladder was good. I've texted her just now and she is working today. She said she felt bad this morning but feeling better this afternoon. They will check her stomach and esophagus later. She's had a lot going on the last 5 to 6 years with school and work. She's been taking 18 hours per semester plus work.

Michelle
    Good for you in taking a walk at lunch.

Annie
    Keeping you in thought and prayer.

Susie
    I don't recommend a 60 hours work week. Mine is coming to a close today but I do not recommend it.

Shad
    Enjoy the light show.

Terra
    How much did you walk today?

-----------------
    This man is getting on my nerves. Yesterday he did repair a pump but today absolutely nothing but hide from the camera. The good thing is I do my job. I'll let him hang himself.
  • Michelle
    Sounds like a good trail. I'd love something like that.
  • Hi Ladies,

Winter has come back to Ohio. We didn't get the snow they said we could and I'm happy for that but it sure got cold. It's not supposed to last to long though.

I didn't make it to the gym at work today. Just as I was finishing the PowerPoint for our meeting this coming Friday so I could send it to the Director so he could add his slides my laptop had a Windows error and I was so afraid that they were going to have to reimage my laptop--which can take up to 8 hours. I had to go to the IT kiosk and was with them for about 2 hours. We got everything back to working and I saved that presentation on two thumb drives! After all that happened and being without a computer for 2 hours I needed to catch up the email and so I didn't make it to the gym. I will go tomorrow.

Happy: Hopefully your computer is back to running with no issues.

Annie: Is baby Royce here? Babies are so exciting.

Michelle: Your walking trail is beautiful

Ceejay--you made it! You are now officially off work for the week. Any plans?

Shad: I hope you enjoyed the light show. Wishing you a nice trip...we will be looking forward to your posts and maybe pictures?

Laura: OMG! So glad that your boyfriend went to the ER! and things turned out well.

Terra--Hi!

Ok..time to go have some dinner. We are eating late tonight.
  • Laura705 ~ Yeah I agree, Winter makes it hard to walk outside

Michelle ~ Yeah I think its a good idea too. Yes Im having a great day. I hope your having a great day too.

Susie ~ I like the shorts and t-shirts

ceejay52 ~ Sadly I didnt walk at all today but yesterday I walked alot so Im pretty sure Im still doing good.
  • Morning all,

Let's try this again. Last few weeks our telephone and internet service have be very spotty. And we're talking good old fashioned land line for phone service here. I think it was yesterday, it took over 15 minutes just to get pages to load.

Anyways... yoga and thrift shop today. I talked to the physical therapist Tuesday and he worked on my back instead of the knee and legs because while what he did worked, it only worked for one day and then the next something else was sore, stiff or problematic. So he did a lot of manipulation. Later that night I felt like someone hit me with bats but the next day I was feeling better (not 100 percent) but better than I had in a while. Still today am a bit stiff but that I hope will work itself out as I move about. We took a road trip up to Duluth yesterday. Hit up a bagel shop for my cousin - very disappointing in their selections - no fruit types, all savory and not much at that. We got there mid morning and it appears you need to get there when they open at 6am because they only make a certain amount each day and when they are gone, they are gone. Very pricy too. Then we went into the city in search of a grocery store I saw advertised on TV. What a little gem tucked in the back of a hill. It's across from the University so they have a lot of prepared foods and really interesting stuff. Sort of like a Whole Foods or Fresh Market for those of you familiar with that line. Best of all they have a sushi bar with REAL sushi made by a Japanese couple who barely speak English. OMG I was in heaven. Now I do not like raw fish, I only eat sushi like California roll that has raw vegetables but cooked fish. I got a couple of trays and it was the highlight of my trip. They had some Panini's pre-made that caught DH's attention so we bought the fixings to make our own. Good deli meat. Great service from the cashiers to the baggers. I would definitely make a stop there again when we are up that way. We didn't stop to eat since we had a car full of food. Didn't even stop at the home improvement store - I guess DH was kind of tired. It was a nice day - quite cool but sunny. Lake Superior is mostly frozen over and we drove past a big expanse of it on our way. It's odd to see ice as far as the eye can see. Lake Superior is the largest of the lakes - it's like looking at the sea frozen since it goes on and on and you can't see anything on the other side of the lake. They had tugs breaking up a line in the ice so the freighters could get through - shipping has to go on even if the water is icy. That's it for me.

Annie - welcome Royce. Hope all went well with everyone. He looks great for a newborn - not all red and wrinkled up. As for you meds, good advice from Michelle. There are many places that will help with meds - pharmacies, drug companies, associations. Just Google "help with paying for medications" and you'll find lots of stuff. Sending you prayers and good wishes that something turns up quickly on the job front, until that time put all your efforts into your grandma job.

Terra - I think it's ok to take a one day break from walking, just as long as one day doesn't turn into 2, 3, 4.

Susie - bummer on the computer breaking down. Why does that always happen when there's a crunch? Hope you are feeling better and over your flu. I agree with you trying to get off work on time and having the evening to spend on some things for you - gives you more time to cook a decent meal instead of grabbing something fast when it's late and it's nice you have a walking partner. The problem with overtime is that it starts out as "catch up" and quickly becomes the normal work day. Then you're always behind no matter what. And if something happened where you were out for a while, that work would wait or just not get done at all. Always take care of you first

Ceejay - the hardest thing to do at work is exactly what you have to do at this point - deal with your own work and try to ignore everyone else around you. No sense in getting aggravated or worried about it, they certainly won't worry about you and nowadays, no one wants to learn from anyone else. They seem to all want to do things their way. I can't even imagine having the endurance to put up with 60 hour work weeks anymore. You are wonder woman. I hope your sister will be ok.

Michelle - what a beautiful walking trail you have. Yay for you for getting a walk in. And how cool is it to bring your fiddle in and play on your break. Remind you of anything, Shad?? Glad Santa is getting better, even if it is taking a long time. At least he's eating better - that's important in healing. I agree with your comment about personal things suffering when you put everything you have into the job and have nothing left for the truly important things. Been there, done that too.

Shad - catch you back in Brisbane. Are you just back for the weekend? Have a good time and hope you get to catch up with everything that needs doing.

Laura - how is BF doing? Were they able to do laparoscopic surgery? Hope so - it's a much easier recovery. Ugh on the extra snow - you must be so tired of it by now and this is the time of year when the stuff turns heavy and wet. I'm glad it missed us.

That's about it for me. I have to go pull together a few things before I head out for the day. I like the yoga class but it really cuts into my morning.

Have a good one everybody.
  • Super quick post today as we're having an all company meeting today to announce the company name change, as well as show a preview of the new website. I have to go through and make sure none of the pages have the current/old company name as the name change was just approved by the board last week and there's lots of pages on the new site that had to be updated - not as easy as a global search/replace.

My back and legs are quite sore today. Not sure if that's from my walk. I might still get out for a 10-15 minute walk at lunch time to see if that loosens things up.

Have a great day everyone!!

Much love to all,
  • Morning all.

Annie – Big congrats on the new grandson, and congrats to the mom and dad. Hope you’re busy cooing over the baby and spoiling the heck out of little J. At the hospital where bf was, every time a baby is born there, they play a short portion of a lullaby over the PA. I was only there 60-90 min. and heard it 3-4 times!!

Happy – Sorry you’ve been having trouble with your phone and internet service. Gosh, wouldn’t expect problems with a land line phone… Re bf’s surgery – yes, it was at NWC, yes, it was laparoscopic surgery. He’s feeling much better, but of course didn’t sleep much at all in the hospital with the IV in his arm & all the monitors. Still not comfortable sleeping – can’t sleep on his side, too uncomfortable. But he’ll be feeling better soon enough. He’s on an antibiotic, of course. The nurse advised him to eat yogurt during the course of these strong drugs to help keep his gut happy, if you know what I mean. Enjoy yoga and the thrift shop today!

Michelle – Sounds like you’re busy at work. How was the training session?? Glad Santa’s paw is on the mend. What a nice walking path you have near your work!! Even if you just walk a bit and find a spot to eat your lunch, it’ll be really nice for you. Good job with the walking – your body told you to take it easy, so I guess you’ll scale it back next time?? Keep at it and you’ll get there. Do you have another one of those back classes this week?? Or was that a one-time thing? I’m actually not into “self-help” reading, and I don’t actually do all that much non-fiction reading, except for the newspaper. Once I finish my book club book, however, I will go back to the Patricia Cornwell book Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper, in which modern day forensic investigation techniques were used to identify that serial killer.

Shad – Hello and safe travels today. I hope you enjoyed the light show!!

Ceejay – Yes, bf drove himself to the ER. I don’t know why he didn’t just ask our neighbor K for a ride…We only have one car, so I was the one who asked her for a ride to the hospital yesterday. She said the same thing to me – why didn’t he ask me for a ride?? I scolded bf for K, LOL, and I’m sure K will scold him herself the next time she sees him. I hope your sister’s okay. Is this the one that is in the medical field? Re the trainee – sounds like he’s not all that interested in doing his job. You’d think being new, he’d be more eager. So is it your weekend now? Do you have 3 days off? Enjoy!

Susie – Bummer your computer problem interfered with your workout. That’s another thing that can happen when you try to schedule workouts into the workday. That said, I do want to give it another go for myself before our building’s fitness center converts over to a full-service i.e., expensive, facility this summer.

Terra – I should do some clothes shopping, window or real – I’ve lost just enough weight that a lot of my shorts and capris don’t fit well anymore. I was waiting until I get to my final goal weight, but my progress has been non-existent for many months. Maybe the upcoming spring/summer will help motivate me!

--
    Yesterday morning I did a wee bit of work, then got out to shovel some paths in the snow –one up to the house, a single wide path on the walk in front of the house and two down the driveway, It’s sort of chilly today, but hopefully some melting will happen. If not today, then tomorrow, when it's forecast to hit 52 degrees.

Our neighbor gave me a ride to the hospital to pick up bf – he wasn’t supposted to drive himself home. Before they let him go, we took a few spins around the hospital floor – bf was so stiff from being in the hospital bed & hooked up to an IV all night. On our walk, we met up with a therapy dog doing its rounds. This was a large 150-pound Great Dane, a female named Caly. Oh how sweet she was! Of course bf and I had to cuddle with her for a bit. How can anyone not feel better after spending time with a gentle giant like that??

After going home, bf cleaned up a bit and then we went to get lunch. After that, bf took a nap while I got his prescription filled and bought some groceries. After that I took doggy for a long walk. I did finally get around to finishing my remaining compliance session for work. Bleh. But now it's done, and by the deadline. Between the shoveling, the walk at the hospital and the dog walk (and staying up too late the night before), I was pretty wiped out by early evening, but I ended up going to bed at my usual time.

Nothing going on tonight. Trying to finish my book club book. According to the e-book, I’m 63.5% complete. Guess I’ll read some more at lunchtime.

Okay, back to work. I’ve got a wee bit of a lull before our group gets really busy again, I need to use this time wisely.

• Morning all,
    Back in Sydney just waiting for my transfer to Brisbane. I think I have had three breakfasts of scrambled eggs so far. It's a rough world. Might have to have a bit of a sleep when I get to DS2's place since I didn't get home until 11.00 last night and had to be up at 4.00 to get sorted and get to the airport. Such is the life in the jetset lane.

Annie - so pleased that the new arrival was delivered safely. New member of the family woohoo.

The light show as good. Plenty of exercise there as we went up and down and around and down and up. I did take some photos but I have no idea how they will turn out when I load them up to the computer. Something I may well do tonight. If I don't fall asleep first.

So I need a coffee, better go see where there is one. Don't think I need any more food although it is lunch time in NZ. Then I might go look in the shops. Not that I buy much at the airport shops, they cater to a captive audience and they price the stuff accordingly.

Be back when I have something more to report.
  • Hi all.

The new lil man is perfect. Jacob is not interested in him. Does not care and get rid of him. Lol. 7lns. 7pz. Royce Michael is perfect. Jacob has been sooooo good for me. Sleeping great And naping great. Really harfd having a 2yr old 24/7 as I am getting too old for that sh+t. Wearing me out. Nothing on the job front. Blah. Just rejection letters Later sistas. J
  • Morning all. Happy Friday. Payday for me too, so that makes it an even better start to the weekend.

Annie – Happy to hear the new li’l man is perfect. LOL re J not being interested. I bet he’s happy to be able to spend so much time with his Nanna –(I forget - what does he call you?) I’ll bet he’s wearing you out – kids that age just seem to have endless energy!! Patience and persistence on the job front sistah!!

Shad – Hope the rest of your travels went smoothly. Three breaksfasts? Reminds me of the olden days of flying – keep us fed and hydrated to keep us happy. I hope the photos of the light show turned out well. I can never tell how they come out on the phone’s camera or my digital camera until I get them on the computer. Usually they look better than I thought – no credit to my photography skills, just the quality of the cameras.

Michelle – Did you get all the names changed on the company site?? Big job. Hope a little movement got your sore muscles loosened up. I need to get up from my desk more frequently than I do – I hate that old lady stiffness that sets in after a bit of sitting. Weight watcher's topic this month is activity, and one thing they want you to try is walking 5 minutes of every hour. Seems like a lot over the course of a workday, but getting up every hour to do something isn't unreasonable. Might start printing more stuff to a printer away from my desk, or topping off my water bottle more frequently, etc.

Hellos to the rest of the Worldlies! Enjoy your weekend!

++

Nothing exciting to report on my end. I’m back to my usual amount of walking on my commute, and I also walked the dog last night. Bf is sore from the surgery and is restricted from lifting anything heavy, and controlling a pulling dog would also be a no-no. That means I’m the only dog walker for the time being. No problem, I’m glad to be getting some more exercise. Thank goodness we're not having any severe weather at the moment.

I’ve had minor throat and nasal congestion the past day or so - I guess I’ve got another mini cold. Odd, these have come on with no sore throat or nose-running. I should be thankful they are very minor.

Tomorrow morning I will get myself to the Saturday morning Jazzercise class, get a good workout, and decide if I’ll sign myself up for a 12 month deal. Later in the morning is my hair appointment. After that I will make some brownies for the book club, which is in the evening. Some friends are going out for St. Paddy’s Day, but I already had the book club going, and BF probably wouldn’t feel up for that anyway.

Okay, enough rambling. Back to business. TTFN.
  • Morning all,

Ugh - sometimes I wonder if yoga is helping or hurting. I sure am stiff today although she worked us out good yesterday and I attempted more (knee work) than I usually do. I took an Epsom soak last night but it didn't seem to help much. It's gradually getting a tiny bit warmer outside, I have high hopes that spring (which arrives next week) might actually be coming.

Annie - that's funny about Jacob. Sissy is going to have her hands full I suppose. Tough getting all the attention and then having to share it. I'm sure once Royce gets old enough to be a play companion, things will change. I also laughed at your comment about it being hard keeping up with a 2 year old. I noticed that a few years back. Just don't have the energy to keep up with them - I wonder how these women who put off kids until they are in their 40s and older handle things. Try not to get too bummed on the job front - I can't think of anything that is as hard on the psyche as job hunting, the ultimate rejection. Every night you get some prayers that things will turn out. And maybe this was God's plan because you were needed to help Sissy out at this time, whether you realize it or not.

Shaddie - flying about town filling up on aiggs are yeh? Glad you enjoyed the light show - I imagine that would be something like fireworks which is difficult to capture in a photo. Don't stop trying though and look forward to your pictures.

Laura - yikes on BF driving himself to the hospital Oh men, what can you say Hope he is feeling better. I know what you mean about the hospital beds being uncomfortable - best to get home to your own place and rest up. It's just that sometimes the rails on those hospital beds really help you to move around when you're incapacitated. Let us know how that book is - I'm not sure I could read it if it was very graphic. Talked to my Mom yesterday and she said that my sister in Orland got about 7 and a half inches of heavy wet snow. Did you get pounded as well? Sounds like the south suburbs may have gotten a bit more. At this point I think we are all over snow, no matter where we come from. Our pristine white snow is all dirty covered in dark brown sand and the road dirt that is finally starting to come away from the melt.

Michelle - hope the kinks worked out of your legs. I'm sure your walk, like my yoga has "woken" things up. Just do some stretches when you can. Good luck with getting the website updated. I hope there's not a ton of pages that need to be investigated. That can be quite tedious and something you just miss something no matter how hard you look. But at least it's updated - bugs me when big companies who have I.T. staffs don't keep their websites updated from dead links and such. What's all this talk about earthquakes in northern CA lately. I'll keep the snow, you can have the earthquakes

Hello to the other fine chicks.

Yesterday started out slow at the shop but I closed out the day with almost $100 in sales so not so bad after all. The only hassle is that the majority of people tend to come in 30 minutes before we close. Which wouldn't be so bad except it's a lot easier for me if I can count up the till and get to the bank before they close at 4:30. Although if it looks like someone is going to spend some money, I never shoo them out

Maybe I can get a load of laundry done before I head out for my next shift so I'd better get off the computer here. Have a good Friday ladies - weekend is finally here
  • Happy Friday and Pi (3.14) Day ladies!!

The presentation at the company meeting yesterday went well. I had all the instances of the company name changed on the website, plus a few other things tweaked. Still lots to get done before the launch in two weeks, but I'm making progress. I didn't get out for a walk yesterday. Between the company meeting and the lunch that followed, I had to focus on my work in the afternoon. I will get out for at least a short walk today at lunchtime. After work today is my Aqua Aerobics class. It's a tough workout, but easy on the back and knees if that makes sense. After class I'll pick up Santa and try and get to the dog park for a little bit if there's time.

Tomorrow, I'm getting together with some friends to take a drive up to the top of Mount Hamilton, which at an elevation of over 4,200' is one of the highest mountains in the San Francisco Bay Area. Hopefully we'll see wildflowers, wildlife (most likely deer and wild pig) and if it's clear (not hazy) we should have a spectacular view. I'll have to stop at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods today or tomorrow morning to pick up some Ginger capsules for me, and then to PetSmart for ginger tablets for Santa. Ginger works the same as Dramamine for motion sickness but without the sleepy side effects. The key is to take it 1/2 hour or more before the drive.

No firm plans for the rest of the weekend yet. I'm sure there will be a trip or two to the dog park, laundry and probably some freelance website work. It's supposed to be gorgeous weather so hopefully I won't spend too much of the daytime hours inside.

My back rehab exercise class starts on Monday. In the meantime, I've been doing stretches and muscle contraction exercises learned in the first "orientation" class. I'm hoping that in the next couple months, I'll be able to hike in the nearby mountains, redwood forests, or along the coast.

========================

Laura - I'm glad to hear that your bf is doing better. Hopefully, he'll follow doctor's orders and not overdo. So neat about the Great Dane therapy dog. The other day when I was in the hospital visiting ex-SIL, there was a Standard Poodle therapy dog making its rounds. Good job on the commute walking and the dog walking. I hope you get over the mini-cold soon. Have a good time at Jazzercise.

Shad - I'll bet it's good to be back home. Funny about your three breakfasts! Glad you enjoyed the light show.

Annie - Glad to hear Royce and Sissy are both doing well. I had to laugh about Jacob wearing you out. My sister (who is in her late 50s) watches her grandson (who is 9 months old) two days a week, and as much as she loves it, she says he does wear her out. I imagine she'll be more tired once he starts walking more and getting into things. No worries about the job front...the right job will come along soon. I agree with Happy that the timing of your brief period between jobs couldn't have been better. It was probably His plan so you'd be available to help Sissy.

Happy - I hope the yoga is helping. Next weekend, I'm going to start a Yoga class called "Compassionate Yoga for All Sizes", which is going to focus on easier, gentle, modifiable moves. As for the earthquakes, yes, they've been having some in Northern CA closer to Oregon than to San Francisco. The magnitude 6.8 was pretty darn big, but since it was centered off the coast, it didn't do much if any damage. They say people who live north of San Francisco felt them, but we didn't feel it in the South Bay Area. Most earthquakes in CA that are below 4.5 in magnitude usually feel like a big truck driving by. Since I can count on one hand the number of times I've felt earthquakes in the more than 30 years I've lived here, and there's only been 1 in Northern CA in my lifetime that has done significant damage, I'll take earthquakes over the 6 months of freezing (and below) temps and foot upon foot of snow.

Ceejay - Enjoy your days off!

Susie - Are you feeling better? It's no fun to be ill on the weekend.

Terra - Keep up with the walking. Have a great weekend.

Much love to all,