3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   "Moving Forward" Structured 8 Wk WL Challenge (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/291016-moving-forward-structured-8-wk-wl-challenge.html)

pamatga 12-30-2013 02:48 PM

"Moving Forward" Structured 8 Wk WL Challenge

This is an open invitation to all 3FC (and roosters too) to join a structured 8 week weight loss challenge. The first one of 2014 will start on the first Monday of January which is January 6th. The weight loss tool that we will be using throughout the 8 weeks is an excel spreadsheet which has everything that you will need to "tick off" during the time you are participating in the challenge. It will include both diet and exercise.

Caveat: I am NOT a personal trainer nor a professional. I have participated in this same 8 week challenge, which will run concurrently throughout the calendar year, in the past. If you work it, you will see results. Also, I am NOT the originator of this "boot camp" challenge. It was created by a fellow weight loss person years ago and I have tweaked it since I have lead this challenge in 2013. However, I have not altered the "meat n potatoes" of the program; just some site references since I was leading it on another online weight loss site.

Disclaimer:
Prior to accepting this challenge, if you have any serious health issues, please check with your personal doctor or trainer before becoming involved with this challenge. To make this so it is "user-friendly", it is up to you to choose a healthy weight loss food plan. I am NOT endorsing any particular food plan since I believe that "one size does NOT fit all!"

However, the rest of the program is both "common sense" (which I didn't always have when it came to losing weight) as well as "conventional wisdom". We are NOT reinventing the wheel here! There is no Magic Bullet in this challenge. The results you get are from "showing up" and "walking the walk" day in and day out.

Requirement: Report weekly to this thread once a week on Mondays. You will report your weekly weigh in as well as how you did the previous week with the "challenges" that week. You can be as brief or as lengthy as you wish.

IF you are involved in another group here or another site and your weekly weigh-in date is other than Mondays, you may report that provided you mention which day of the week you are reporting. I will make a note of this when I am tallying each weekly's results. Please be fair and only post your weight once a week, wherever that falls. Also, please have your weekly weights in by Tuesday evening 5 p.m. EST (unless illness, family emergency or traveling but let me know) so that I can tally the results for the entire group and then post the weekly results on Wednesday by 5 p.m. EST (ideally).

If there is a tie between people, the person with the most percentage of body weight lost will be that week's winner. I do like to award a prize of some kind by the end of the 8 weeks so this is why I ask for the weekly weigh in reports and why I keep track.

In order to receive the excel spreadsheet, please provide me in a PM (private message) with an e-mail that I can mail it to you as an attachment. We start on January 6th.

Good luck all! Pamatga (Pam) :comp:

pamatga 01-01-2014 03:01 PM

FYI: New Challenge for 2014 Starting on Monday 1/6

FYI: new challenge starting here for 2014 this coming Monday, January 6th.

For those people who PM me and provided an email address, I sent you the excel spreadsheet for the upcoming challenge. Please return here to report your first weekly weigh in on Monday January 6th and to start the discussion thread.

I look forward to meeting you all.

Pam :comp:

Bluenose79 01-01-2014 04:04 PM

Hi

How do I pm you?

Thanks

Donna x

wannaskipandlaugh 01-01-2014 04:16 PM

PAM... I think I will watch this one (8 weeks) and try and join the next one. This way I can see how this works! :) and maybe get more computer literate! LOL

Thank you and I will come and watch everyone meet their goals!

pamatga 01-03-2014 11:48 AM

Hello to all!

bluenose79: I see that you just joined 3FC so you won't be able to give or receive PM(private messages) until the end of the month. However, "no problem", just show up here until you can get the spreadsheet and I will give you a recap of what we are all doing week by week.

Once you have made it 21 days, when you want to send someone a PM (private message) just click on their username (highlighted in blue) shown in their post and it will bring up an empty message box for you to write and send a PM. Then, the next time that you sign on, usually (I do anyway) you will get a pop up box that says you have unread messages. You follow the prompts and then you can take it from there.

sue(wannaskip) and bluenose: If you both want to still follow this then do the following below:

1) The first thing you need to do is post your first weekly weigh in this coming Monday or Sunday night if your work schedule makes it necessary.

2)Then, take measurements of these key areas: bust, upper arm, waist, hips, upper thighs and calves. Post those. You will take these same measurements again on Week 4 and then finally on Week 8.

I will be here on Sunday and post mine first so everyone will know the format. It is simple and I will explain everything.

I look forward to all of you who have shown interest in this. I will be running this 8 week structured weight loss challenge for the entire calendar year.

Let's lose some weight, y'all!:carrot:

Pam:comp:

pamatga 01-05-2014 12:38 PM

24 Hours to Lift Off!

Tomorrow starts the "Moving Forward" Structured 8 Week Weight Loss Challenge!"

Please post your initial weekly weigh in tomorrow as well as your measurements:

Use this format- (here is mine for an example to follow)

Current Weight(CW): 245.2 lbs.

Measurements needed:
Height –5" 6.5" (medium frame)
Upper Arm (at the largest part) – 15"
Bust – 51"
Waist (at your belly button) – 47"
Hips (at the widest part) – 51"
Upper Thigh – (at the largest part) - 27"
Calf - 16" (thickest part)

For those of you who have shown an interest in this and requested a spreadsheet to follow this weight loss program, turn to Week 1. You can record your efforts daily. I would not wait longer than 2 days to fill it in because memory is one of those things that plays tricks on us. We "think" we may have done something but then again we "may not have" either.

For those of you who have shown an interest but for one reason or another do not have a spreadsheet, still check in on Monday. I will summarize what you will be keeping track of each day and for the week. The advantage of having the spreadsheet is that you can just check it off once completed. Also, it does all the math for you.

At the end of each week, preferably on Sunday, you will report your efforts for the previous week. You can also choose to report them along with your weekly weigh in on Mondays. In the interest of keeping the bookkeeping going, please do not wait any later than Tuesday at NOON. I like to report each previous week's numbers by Wednesday. This way you see how you are doing in relation to your fellow "chickie".

The "tradition" with this structured 8 week weight loss challenge is that there are prizes awarded for the three categories. I am going to continue that but in order to qualify you must report your weekly results every week.

3 separate prizes will be awarded (a gift card from Subway that I will provide) for:

1) most points ( you will see that as you work the worksheet)
2) most steps (you will need to begin wearing a pedometer every day)
3) most weight loss.

In the last bullet if there is a tie than the deciding "winner" will be the person who has lost more body fat percentage. For example, two people both loss 10 lbs but one has 10% body fat loss and the other has 9.5% body fat loss, then the first one wins.

So, welcome again and I look forward to working this program with y'all!

Pam :comp:

Em Coconut 01-05-2014 11:58 PM

Pam, thank you for starting this! It's such a great motivation to get back on track :)

Here are my starting measurements:

Current weight: 245.3

Height –5'4.5" (Large frame)
Upper Arm (at the largest part) – 15.5"
Bust – 45.5"
Waist (at your belly button) – 44.5"
Hips (at the widest part) – 52"
Upper Thigh – (at the largest part) - 27.5"
Calf - 18.5" (thickest part)

Good luck in the first week, everyone!

Natasha567 01-06-2014 12:26 AM

Hello!
I'm Natasha and I'm excited I found this site and hoping to make some weight loss goals and reach them but more importantly to motivate and be motivated by a supportive group. I'm looking to lose about 35lbs and tone and firm to get to my pre pregnancy body. Even though I don't have excel sheet to work of off, hope you don't mind that I still jump in. I will post tomorrow all measurements
Let's do this!

pamatga 01-06-2014 11:05 AM

Welcome Aboard, Y'all!

Good day everyone! :coffee2:

:welcome: all newbies to the 3FC site as well as to this 2014 8 Week Weight Loss Challenge. For those of you who are "brand new" and can not give or receive PMs (and therefore can't send me an email address to receive the spreadsheet) "No Problem!" I will outline each week's "challenges" and then you can follow along until you can receive the spreadsheet. I do not want anyone to lose out on the benefits of this structured program. "It will work if you work it!"

Week 1's Assignment:

Post your initial weigh in today and no later than tomorrow. I will relax this rule the first week ONLY. Post your measurements as well. If you don't feel comfortable sharing them in a group then at least keep them handy for yourself to review. We will be remeasuring again for Week 4 and then on the last day of the challenge.

Top O' List: Exercise Minutes Goal for January: 1000 minutes!

Every Week's Daily Challenges:
[Note: these will remain the same throughout the 8 weeks]

1) Drink 8-10 cups of H20 (64 -80 oz.)
2) Stay within a specific calorie range-follow a reputable proven food plan.
3) Measure ALL food and/or drinks w. calories-use measuring cups/ spoons.
4)Track your food min. of 3x per week. Can use any app or device or plain paper. You will also be writing down calories. There are many sites available that have free apps for this and will do the math for you.
5) Post to this thread ONCE A WEEK-MONDAYS FOR WEIGH IN-REQUIRED to be eligible for prizes awarded at end of challenge.
6) Take a good multi-vitamin and any other supplements you wish.
7) Cardio conditioning-your choice min 3x a week- max 5-6x a week.
8) Building muscles and getting strong!- alternate days and/or body parts. Do NOT exercise same muscle groups two consecutive days in a row!
9) Count those Steps-must wear a pedometer or other tracking app for this.

10) Weekly Challenges: these will change week to week.

Week #1 "weekly challenges" are:

1) create a "clean" kitchen. This means clearing out all of those foods which will not support your new lifestyle. This includes all "empty calories" (meaning nutrient poor-yes, chips and candy count!) and replacing them with whole foods (think of complete nutrition all wrapped up in an apple, banana, an egg, a slice of turkey, etc.)

2) track your exercises on an app or Fitness Tracker. There are plenty of free sites to choose from. If you don't know of any, ask a friend or here. We can lead you to find some good ones for you to use.

When you look at this initially, this seems like a lot of "work" BUT stick with it and you will see the kind of results that you have always wanted. It is all about creating good healthy habits that you will use for the rest of your life.

Be patient with yourself. No one expects you to be "perfect". These are guidelines for losing weight and getting fit. Think of when you were learning to ride a bike or drive a car. At first, it will seem mechanical but one day you will "just do it" without realizing that you have created a new (and hopefully lasting) habit.

WE CAN DO THIS! :carrot::cb::broc: Pam :comp:

P.S. I will compile a list of participants on Wednesday after the "dust has settled" so you will know who all has showed up for this challenge.

diyana 01-06-2014 12:03 PM

I want to join the challenge. I'll post my weight and measurements tonight.

Natasha567 01-06-2014 03:15 PM

Current Weight(CW): 166.2

Measurements needed:
Height –5'1" (medium frame)
Upper Arm (at the largest part) – 14"
Bust – 42"
Waist (at your belly button) – 40"
Hips (at the widest part) – 43.5"
Upper Thigh – (at the largest part) - 25.5"
Calf - 15" (thickest part)

Exercise minutes
1/6-70minutes

:goodluck:

jitterfish 01-07-2014 03:03 AM

Sorry for delay, I've been away on vacation. I am looking at the spreadsheet, it starts on Fri, do you want us to start on Mon or back track to Fri? Also for the steppin line, do we just put 100 if we do more than 5000? Or are we suppose to put in the number of steps?

CW: 80.4kg

Measurments
Height: 164cm
Upper Arm: 37.5cm
Bust: 99.5cm
Waist: 115cm
Hips: 112cm
Upper Thigh: 66cm
Calf: 43cm

Exercise min goal: 400min

Rated 01-07-2014 12:38 PM

Current Weight(CW): 171.4 lbs.

Measurements needed:
Height –5' 2" (medium frame)
Upper Arm (at the largest part) – 12.5
Bust – 40.5"
Waist (at your belly button) – 35"
Hips (at the widest part) – 45.5
Upper Thigh – (at the largest part) - 27.75"
Calf - 16" (thickest part) 16.5

pamatga 01-07-2014 12:45 PM

Filling In the Spreadsheet

Please fill in your numbers (only) of what you did in the shaded blue areas. This is linked to the formulas for each cell and then will do the adding for you. Also, I have sent multiple copies of this out. If one of yours is filled in some spots please erase it and fill in your efforts.

Also, if you do the suggested individual strength exercises, put your numbers in the corresponding light orange boxes.

The only boxes that are left white are Daily Point Total. Do NOT fill in anything here since the sheet should be filling these in for you. All you have to do is fill in each shaded blue box with what you did that day only. If you follow the line across the last white box will have your weekly totals for that particular "challenge".

Also, at the end of the week, where it says "Weekly Weight In at end of Wk 1" it has a shaded blue box. Put your weight in here.

Scroll up to the upper right hand corner and you can see your totals being added up throughout the week. As we get closer to the end of the week, I will ask for these numbers when you report in next Monday.

This is a numbers worksheet. Do not put comments in any of the boxes since the formulas are math-based and will not "read" your words. For example: if you drank 8 cups of water, put 8, not eight. If you did 30 reps of crunches, put 30 not thirty. You can make comments but put outside of the working cells.

If you have any additional questions, please continue to ask.

Have a great day, all!

Pam :comp: :coffee2:

Rated 01-10-2014 12:05 AM

How is everyone doing so far?

I am still sorting my way through the spreadsheet but I am really excited. I feel like this structure is exactly what I need. I planned to start c25K and New rules for weight lifting for women and so far I have successfully completed workout one for each program. I have been bang on with my calories with a 1000 calorie deficit each day.

Em Coconut 01-10-2014 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rated (Post 4915724)
How is everyone doing so far?

I am still sorting my way through the spreadsheet but I am really excited. I feel like this structure is exactly what I need. I planned to start c25K and New rules for weight lifting for women and so far I have successfully completed workout one for each program. I have been bang on with my calories with a 1000 calorie deficit each day.

That's great! Well done! :carrot:

I, of course, had to go and get sick in the beginning of the week. So typical :dizzy: Also experiencing an "extreme" lack of sleep at night. So no workouts for me so far, and the food has been so-so. I'll get back to it sometime over the weekend. Very motivated though!

pamatga 01-12-2014 07:41 PM

Tips From The Trenches!

I will not post any "tips" that have not been actually done in "real life" by "real people". I hate it when someone posts tips that are so hard to follow that you wonder if anyone actually tested them to see if they were "for real". Also, I strongly encourage you to share what is working for you and what isn't. Let us work together as a team to get our weight off this year. There is strength in numbers.

1) Throw out the word "perfect" once and for all. No one is perfect here and don't delude yourself in having a perfect day or perfect week. It just ain't gonna happen. The word that we all need to replace "Perfectionism" with is "Excellence". Do YOUR PERSONAL BEST. You will know it when you do because you will fall asleep with a big smile on your face and know that you did your best. That is all that counts.

2) Showing up is half the battle. Those people who lose weight and then eventually keep it off do so because they show up no matter what. Now, this doesn't mean that if you are having a family emergency, been in a car accident (God forbid) or are puking your guts up; that you will "show up" in the same form as when all the planets are aligned in your favor but it does mean that you are "committed". You are "walking the walking", not just "talking the talk".

3) Think outside of the box. Be creative in how you engage activity in your days. If you work in a multi-storied building, take the elevator when possible. If you usually walk to the lunchroom for a mid-day vending machine snack, still take the walk but skip the empty calories snack. If you take public transportation, get off two stops before your "usual" and walk the rest of the way home (weather permitting). Most overweight people are very efficient in their use of physical movement. Now, I want you to become "in-efficient". Make it your daily goal to add more steps into your daily routines, even if they seem silly. I have carried one plate and utensil at at time from my computer to the kitchen just to get in added steps. Sounds silly, yes but it does translate into more movements.

4) Take this same idea and use it in your food plan. When preparing your meals you take to work, think of foods that "travel well", like pre-measured nuts or dried fruits, a single piece of fruit or even dry cereal (healthy, of course). This will help you from turning to those work place vending machines for your afternoon dips in energy. Tired when you get home from work or school? Make sure that you have some quick and easy meals that you can make without a lot of energy expended: some low cal meals you can nuke or cook up quickly. Sometimes, a carton of yogurt along with some pre-cut vegetables and healthy dip can satisfy your meal needs.

5) Two important challenges you should not forget and make sure that they stay high on your list is: drinking more water and taking a multi-vitamin. This is especially important during the winter since many of us are indoors more and we are breathing recycled air and someone else's germs. Many times when you are feeling fatigued, it is because you are dehydrated. A multi-vitamin covers when we make bad food choices or we inadvertently miss a meal here and there.

6) Sleep is very important when you are under a lot of stress. De-compress about 2-3 hours before you go to bed at night. Do not do work on the computer because the blue light emitting from the screen can be overstimulating for some people. Use your bedroom only for sleeping if possible. If it does double-duty like for studying then make sure that you have a separate designated area for that and don't study too close to bedtime. Exercise can be stimulating if done too close to bedtime unless it is some kind of stretching and/or relaxation techniques. Try drinking chamomile tea or take melatonin if you have sleep issues.

These are just a few key "tips" that I hope you can benefit from. Although the #1 "complaint" with this challenge is the structure itself; these are all habits that people who have lost weight and then kept it off do almost every day. Give yourself a break and pat yourself on the back for completing week 1. Those people who stay the distance find that they really learn to rely on this structure to keep them on the weight loss path.

Take care, Pam ::comp:

jitterfish 01-13-2014 02:48 AM

Yay I found this thread again -LOL- Remembered to subscribe this time! I won't be weighing in next week, and the following week I might be a few days late as I am away at the beach.

My Monday weigh in for this week was 79.6kg (-0.8kg or -1.8lb)

Em Coconut 01-13-2014 12:52 PM

weight today was 244.4, so that's a 0.9 lbs loss from last monday.

If I have done everything right, I have 205 points, mainly from vitamins and the "clean kitchen" challenge. As I haven't really tracked my food, I don't know if or when I have stayed under my calorie limit, so no points there either

Feeling great now, so this week will be much, much better. Started off with an hour at the gym after class :)

jitterfish 01-13-2014 02:42 PM

Well done Em :) I gave up on the points tracking because my life is too crazy at the moment. But I am all for weighing in.

Rated 01-13-2014 10:23 PM

I hope I added up my points correctly because I have some questions

Track your food 15 points per day + 25 bonus points if you use an app
Does this mean if I track using myfitnesspal I can get 40 points per day? or is the 25 bonus points additional added at the end of the week?

Steppin more than 5000 steps 100 point bonus but what if you have less than 5000 steps is there no points for that?

My points for this week are 690 (maybe more since if I wasn't sure about bonus points I only awarded them once).

Weight in: 170.2 (-1.2 lbs)

Steps: 37153

pamatga 01-14-2014 11:18 AM

Points On Spreadsheet

Hope this answers your questions:

Drinking Water:

10 pts daily for drinking 8 8 oz glasses/cups of water. 5 extra points for each additional 8 oz you drink in a 24 hour period. Weekly Pts.=70 plus whatever you drank above the 64 oz. per day.

Staying Within Specific Calorie Range:

10 pts daily also. Weekly Max Pts= 70 pts.

Measure Your Food:

10 pts per day Weekly Max Pts=70 pts.

Track Food:

15 pts per day (if you are using an electronic device, since this is more accurate give yourself an additional 25 pts. for each time you use the electronic device or app)

Post to this Thread: (once a week) a one time 25 pts.

Daily Vitamins: 10 pts. per day Weekly Max Pts.=70 pts

Cardio Conditioning:

5 pts per 10 mins. (ex. 30 minutes workout=15 pts.) 15 bonus pts. if worked out longer than 40 minutes. One bonus per day. (total on that would be=35 pts)

Strength Exercises (upper/lower and core): 1 pt. per rep finished. This has no limit.

Steps: (must use a pedometer): since pedometer is tracking these, just read what the pedometer has at the end of the day and record that. Ex: 7831 steps. If you walk more than 5000 steps per day, add 100 bonus pts at the end of the day to the steps (line below where steps are recorded). For bonus pts. weekly max. pts=700 pts.

Each of the Weekly Challenges for Week 1 were 100 pts. bonus. Count once for entire week for each one you did.

Pam

pamatga 01-14-2014 11:40 AM

A Bit O' News

I have sent the thread link to everyone who requested the spreadsheet. See my previous post regarding explanation of the points.

I came down with the influenza on Sunday so I have had two days of sleeping nearly 10-12 hours each day. Right now, it is in both my head and upper chest.

I will post this week's results in a few days. I would like everyone to get a chance to post what their weights are (at least). I am expecting that it may take a week or two for everyone to find their comfort level with this challenge.

Thank you to all who have responded to the PMs that I have sent out. I am a hands on person and I like to communicate how things are going as they are happening; although when I am sick, it will probably be briefer.

Yesterday started Week 2 so please open up that worksheet and check the Weekly Challenges because they are different from week to week.

Week 2's Weekly Challenges are:

1) eat 3-5 servings of vegetables per day (10 pts per day, 70 pts max per week)

2) Add one additional strength exercise to your workout. 25 pts. extra for week.

Again, this thread is also for chatting so I hope you will feel like both sharing and supporting your fellow "chicks" in their own weight loss efforts.

Today, this will be brief because I am quite ill but I will read and respond to all of your inquiries (ideally within 24 hour turn around).

Have a great day, keep up the good work all! Pam :coffee2: :comp:

jitterfish 01-15-2014 01:43 AM

Oh Pam take care of yourself, the flu can knock you so much.

pamatga 01-17-2014 02:21 AM

Week 1 Results

I apologize that I am late on posting these results. I am finally feeling like my old self but alas now I have slept so much, I am not tired at all in spite of keeping up my exercising and water this past week.

Here are the results for Week 1 in the weight loss category:

jitterfish: -1.8 lbs. (thanks for the conversion from kg) :congrat:

rated: -1.2 lbs. :cheer3:

em coconut: -0.9 lbs. :cheer2:

Late (but Great) Addition: becky quilts : (0.8 lbs.) :woohoo:

rated: is first in steps :dancer: and with points :write:

Please note this: Since it sounds like several have had the flu as well as a few who started out the New Year with an injury:stars::( I will extend the time for you to get whatever stats you have to report (weight loss, points and/or steps) to this coming Monday when you report your Week 2 weight loss.

Again, in order for you to receive a gift award of a Subway gift card (or an equivalent of your choice), I need to hear from you.

I am feeling better so I am upping my game. Let's all have a great weekend and I hope to hear from more of you this coming Monday.

Take care, Pam:comp::coach:

Becky Quilts 01-17-2014 10:25 AM

Thanks, pamatga, for putting this together and coordinating. :)
1/10 - 174.4
1/17 - 173.6
- I will need to catch measurements at home, and will edit
- Height –5" 7" (medium frame)
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...ages/17182.htm
- Upper Arm (at the largest part) – "
- Bust – "
- Waist (at your belly button) – "
- Hips (at the widest part) – 51"
- Upper Thigh – (at the largest part) - "
- Calf (thickest part) -

pamatga 01-20-2014 12:08 PM

Tips From The Trenches

Making Exercise A Daily Habit

The first objection that most people say is that "they don't have time". Let's examine this closer. Do you have time to talk endlessly on the phone, texting or talking? Do you have time to watch mindless t.v. programs that you have seen before or informercials even though you don't have the money to buy what they are hawking? Do you have time to play online games on the internet or cruise your FB page for hours on end even though you might be seeing some of these same people face to face during your daily or weekly life?

If you dare this coming week try this experiment: keep track of all of your 24 hours and how you spend it. It might only take a day to see where your "time is going" or it might take a couple but soon you will see a pattern. Before you think that I am coming down hard on you, I want you to know that I am guilty on all accounts of everything I just mentioned above. Yes, I watch informercials, I talk and text even though "nothing much has happened" in my life since the last time I spoke with someone, I have spent hours playing online games (which I hate to admit I am pretty proficient at) as well as checking out FB feed not realizing how much time it both cuts into my sleep time (very important for any of us who are serious about losing weight) as well "potential" exercise time. Ah, yes, exercise time.

I am not saying that you have to give all of the above out because I haven't. I just put limits on how long I will do some of those things. I check FB every 36 hours. I stop playing online games by 1 a.m. for my bedtime. I track and log my food between the national news and the first good program at 8 p.m. EST. I do my strength exercises (core, upper and lower) sometimes while watching t.v. or sometimes I put that person on speakerphone and exercise while we are chatting. In fact, I had a friend last year who did the same and we worked out together talking while we were lifting those hand weights or doing those core exercises. As for those informercials; well, there is a favorite one but I have told myself that once I have lost a specific amount of weight I am going to order that set of dvds. It gives me an added incentive to work out.

Besides getting in that daily exercise, it also has the added benefit of keeping me from wandering into the kitchen looking for something to snack on. I call that a "two fer". I am getting a "two for one benefit"; more calories burned than calories ingested. :D Not a bad deal in my book!

The key in fitting in daily exercise is looking for and then filling those time slots in yours (and mine) busy life that is "down time". If you do better by working out with a group or at a specific location (fitness center, gym, pool) then decide that instead of watching those fall re-runs you will devote some "me time" to engaging your muscles below your neck. You will be happy that you did all of this now when it comes time for summer and swim suits.

Also, think "outside of the box" when it comes to what actually constitutes exercise: any kind of physical movement is burning calories---some more than others. It might be time to become a "neat freak" around the house, dorm room or apartment, if it means that you are vacuuming more, doing laundry or other mundane chores. "Move It and Lose It" is the motto I live by. This is where wearing that pedometer can help you reach beyond a specific goal. If you have a personal goal of 5000 steps a day, see if you can pass that by looking for extra steps in your day. You would be surprised at how motivating that pedometer can become and how it can be a part of your overall effort to bring more movement into your life.

If you haven't gotten the "exercise bug" yet, don't worry, you have plenty of time. Start today and then don't stop finding new ways to bring more movement and activity back into your life. You will be glad you did when it comes time to remove the winter coats, baggy sweats and show off all of your hard work.

As the song says "You gotta move it, move it....".

Keep it up, Pam :comp: :coach:

pamatga 01-20-2014 12:19 PM

Week 3- Weekly Challenges

Everything else remains the same for daily and weekly "challenges". Here are the new Week 3 "Weekly Challenges". [Note: I will always have a one new one that is regarding your food plan and one new one regarding your workout routine/program]

1) Do NOT eat out more than 2x this coming week. If you do, then add 1 additional cardio workout (30 mins.+) for each time you eat out.

2) Add 1 additional strength exercise for your lower body (can be either for legs and/or core).

Pam :comp:coach:

Em Coconut 01-20-2014 05:09 PM

No change in weight for me this time. I know why, just side-effects from being a girl... And I have not counted points, as it has been a really stressful week with classes starting up again and I just haven't been able to concentrate on anything.

Rated 01-20-2014 09:44 PM

Weight in: 167.4 (-2.8 lbs)

Steps: 76112

pamatga 01-27-2014 02:13 PM

Week 4-Mid point through this Structured Challenge

Hello all! Again, it looks like Rated is leading the group with her weight loss, steps and points. Keep up the good work! I need to hear from the rest of you on how you are doing so I can post your weekly results as well. It is not too late to do so.

Since it sounds like many of you have either been under the weather with the flu, have had an injury and/or just haven't been able to launch their efforts in this challenge, I have decided that I am going to move this Challenge to the sub group Chicks Up for a Challenge within this coming week for those who are looking to join a challenge like this February 1st.

I will let you know the details via PM when that transition has taken place and you can just subscribe to that thread as well so you won't miss out on any of the stuff I plan on sharing with this challenge.

Week 4 "Weekly Challenge" are:

1) look up a menu before dining out and then pre-plan that meal 25 pts.

2) add 1 strength exercise for the abs/core. 25 pts.

I hope everyone has a great week and again please post here when you can. Look for new updates via PM this week.

Pam :comp: :coach:

Rated 01-27-2014 10:54 PM

I like the idea of moving this to the Chick up for a Challenge forum. I feel like I am the only person really posting right now. Here is my information for week 3

Weigh in: 166.6 (-0.8 lbs)

Steps: 86837

jitterfish 01-29-2014 12:37 AM

Howdy everyone! I still can't weigh in as I don't have scales. We decided to extend our vacation until this weekend so I will be back to weighing this coming Monday. But thought I'd drop a line here to know I am still wanting to do this challenge - of course my post holiday weight isn't going to be so great LOL

pamatga 01-31-2014 02:27 PM

FYI: This Challenge is Moving-Read This Post!

FYI: Thank you Rated for being so faithful in reporting your stats. Congrats on your continual efforts to lose weight.

jitterfish: if you don't have a scales, then I would recommend that you report what you are doing in terms of steps walked as well as points for the other activities. As I said in the beginning, I will be awarding Subway (or similar if there isn't one in your area) gift cards for weight lose, steps and points so you still have something to report.

To anyone else who comes to this thread; as of February 1st, I am moving this to the sub-group "Chicks Up for a Challenge". Let's get more involved this coming month. I welcome all to join this challenge. The Challenge will be re-named "Change Your Life" Challenge because that is what makes this different from all of the other ongoing challenges. I wanted to do something different and not just replicate what is already available on this site. I have already re-created a new thread and for anyone who is interested, no matter how much weight you want to lose or how fit (or not) you are, this challenge is for everyone across the board. So, if you want to lose weight permanently, then you have found the right thread to do that.

If you have any questions or concerns, please PM me.

Again, this thread is moving to another re-named thread "Change Your Life" under "Chicks Up for a Challenge" as of February 1st, 2014. There will be no more activity on this thread from that point on.

For those who are reporting their participation, please do so on the new thread. We will finish out the first 8 weeks there and keep this going for the rest of 2014. Let's make this a great challenge! There truly is something for everyone.

I will leave you with a quote that I came across last year. "Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle happens."

Pam :comp: :coach: