Worldly Chicks Remembering Melody at Christmas

You're on Page 17 of 18
Go to
  • Another MELLIE post...always doing for others.....

ALMOST NOON AND I JUST GOT BACK FROM FOOD SHOPPING TRIP #1 THIS WEEK. GOT THE STAPLES AND SOME CANDY GIFTS FOR THE SENIORS. I ALSO BOUGHT SOME $1 DISH TOWELS. I WILL BE READY FOR THE WANDERING SENIORS ON CHRISTMAS WEEK AND THE HOUSEBOUND ONES AS WELL. I CAME HOME AND THE BOSSES OF THE DOOR INSTALLERS ASKED WHAT WE NEED TO MAKE LIFE WITH THE NEW DOORS EASIER. IT WAS SO NICE TO BE ASKED AND EVEN NICER THAT 3 MEN IN SUITS ACTUALLY LISTENED AND TOOK NOTES.
    I HAVE A BIT MORE WORK ON THE TREE AND I AM FINISHED FOR THE DAY. THE OFFICE IS SUFFERING WITH THIS CONVERSION TO A NEWER PROGRAM AND WITH THE MONTH & YEAR BOTH ENDING....IT'S A HORROR STORY FOR JUDY AND ROSIE. THEY CAN'T EVEN GET THE CHECKS PRINTED OUT FOR BILLS AND LANDLORDS ETC. YESTERDAY POOR ANTOINETTE COULDN'T EVEN FIND HER TENANTS! NIGHTMARE TIME
    I'LL OFFER TO ANSWER THE PHONE SO THEY CAN GET SOME TECH SUPPORT VIA PHONE AFTER LUNCH.
  • Morning all.

Annie - Yeh, 7 degrees here. People are finally bundled up! Poor C down with a cold. I hope the extra rest helped him and he isn't feeling too bad right now. That pork should be good and flavorful and tender tonight! Enjoy. Re organizing - even though I still have the tree and other Christmas decorations up, I put the bins back in the attic to get them out of the way. While I was up there, it reminded me that I don't have much in the way of decorations for other holidays, but I could still use about one bin each for Valentine's, Easter & the Fourth of July, color-coded, of course. (I'll have to remember that when those holidays roll around - the home improvement stores stock them seasonally.)

Shad - Your weather sounds soooo nice right about now. Looking forward to photos! I hope the walk helps your back! Yes, too much quiet from kids during waking hours isn't a good thing! Enjoy the rest of your time w/ S. and the rest of the family.

Happy - Bummer about the tv and computer probs. Is it windy there? Wonder what's with your satellite service. I hope the books are entertaining enough to pass the time. Our house is brick and we don't get the settling sounds, but strong winds will whistle down our chimney... Our HVAC ductwork does make a racket upon startup in the AM. I don't get that - the furnace does operate all night, though maybe not as frequently. Huh. Re the cranberries, they just needed to be coursely chopped. Thank goodness for the food processor. I was tempted to chop them by hand just to avoid dirtying up the processor, but the way those berries roll around, the machine is the way to go for me! The other labor was chopping the nuts and zesting an orange. I don't grate the zest, I use a peeler to remove strips of zest, then I mince it. It all adds up...banana bread is a breeze by comparison. Stay warm up there - glad you can crank up the fireplace and make things cozy. My question is - doesn't that draw the heat out of the house, or is the venting different, or is it a ventless system?? Don't overdo the snow-clearing, our greatest asset is our health!!!

Ceejay - Good for you riding the bike. I will likely do some at home workouts this week - I really won't want to leave the house more than necessary in this cold weather. Re the bins - I moved the holiday ones back to the attic, but the office ones still need to be dealt with. I'll probably move them back to the office just so the guest bedroom is clear for my friends Tuesday night. Sorry your belly is still not right. I hope the change in diet will help it.

Hellos to Michelle & Susie!!
    ===
    Bf and I worked on the guest room a bit yesterday and it's in much better shape, but still needs some things shifted so there's room for D and her sis on Tuesday.

I took doggy for a walk and that was all the exercise I got yesterday.

I pulled out all the bags in the closet I'd been filling with donation stuff. I didn't change my mind and pull anything out of the bags, so that's good. There's still some clothing that's too big for me that I didn't donate (some nice slacks)...wish I felt confident enough to KNOW I'll never need those items again. Anyway, I listed all the stuff (support for tax deduction) and now it sits in the living room waiting to be dropped off today or tomorrow.

That's about it for me, so I'll get this thing posted and back to the grind. More people here at the office today...the quiet time is over I guess. I wasn't here Christmas Eve, but I saw that the big boss sent an e-mail telling everyone to leave at noon...I'm hoping that happens again tomorrow!!!
  • Quick check in... I'm getting more settled at D's...still more unpacking to do, but I'll get there. Santa is adjusting quite well. The only thing I think he misses is a fenced backyard. Santa wants to be friends with D's cat, but D's cat isn't interested at all. She just hisses at Santa. Hopefully, she'll come around.

The Packers-Bears game was such a nailbiter! Sheesh! And on that last drive by the Packers...those 4th downs they had to convert or their season would be over. OMG! When the Packers scored the winning touchdown, I wouldn't be surprised if people in Wisconsin could hear the cheering coming from the bar where me and roughly 20 other Packer fans watched the game.

Next weekend, the Packers play the SF 49ers in Green Bay. I won't be able to watch the game though, as I'll be in Southern CA attending my niece's wedding. I'm flying down Saturday morning and flying back Sunday afternoon.

My step-brother headed to Belize yesterday. I'll call my step-mom later today and see if she's heard from him.

The new job is going good. The long commute is tiring, but at least I can relax or catch a nap for most of it while I'm on BART.

Gotta go for now.

Much love to all,
  • From Mel for Shad:

From Mel for us:

• Thanks, Happy, for sharing the Mel funnies!

Just 1.5 days left in 2013. I'm looking forward to the new year and its new beginnings. New job, new living situation...all good. Speaking of the new job...

Last week, I sent an e-mail to the San Jose job stating that I had accepted a very long-term contract position, and I couldn't accept a short 4 month contract over something that's much longer term, and I also explained about the $20K difference in pay. I received an e-mail from the San Jose job today offering me a regular, full-time, permanent position starting on January 6, and they increased their original pay offer by $13K plus $5K in stock options, with medical benefits starting on January 6th and dental and vision starting on Feb. 1. I guess I really must've made a good impression on them in the 3 days I was there for them to change their mind and offer me the job permanently at a much higher salary. Well, I did fix a couple critical outstanding bugs on the website.

Anyway, I got to thinking...the San Francisco job still pays more...but it is a contract job, and working in San Jose would mean roughly 2.5 hours less commuting time per day. What to do? What to do?

Then I just got an email from the contracting agency for the SF job, and they have lost the contract here, effective 1/3/2013. And the new contracting agency wants to bring in their own people. Arrrgh! Seriously? I just started. You'd think they'd know this before they brought on new people...but apparently they didn't. Not even the department manager knew anything about the decision to change contracting agencies. I'd be REALLY upset if I didn't have the other job offer in my hand. So I accepted the regular, full-time permanent job offer with the San Jose company.

I guess the only constant in life is change, right? Luckily, I've had so much change in the past year...I've learned to go with the flow and be flexible. So I'll be working in SF tomorrow, Thursday and Friday (with a paid holiday on New Years), and start the SJ job a week from today.

Much love to all,
  • Omg Chelle for goodness sake buy some freekn
    Lottery tickets. Congrats. The extra hug must have worked!!!!!!
  • OMG Michelle - What a turn of events! I'm so glad you had that new/improved SJ job offer! I agree with Annie - girl, go buy some lottery tix, hahahaha! Congrats!

Re the Bears-Packers game - I'm surprised it was so close of a game, Bears have had some probs this season for sure. Too bad you'll miss the playoff game next weekend.

Annie & Happy - Love the Mel post & pics!
  • Brrrrrr it's cold outside.

Michelle
    So nice that the job offer came through. Isn't this one the one you liked. At least it will be close to home. Guess the federal gov is cutting back on everything.

Laura
    7 degree's is to cold for me. Think we're supposed to get some of the s word this week end. I was looking for flurries today. It smelled like it outside when we were unloading the chemical truck. I've seen the colored bins which would really help to organize stuff. I still have some things to go though but nothing like I've had in the past. I'm like you I have clothes I've been hanging onto but I told my aunt they are going t dry rot before I get down to them so they are going next.

------
    Today has been a bust really. The chemical truck came and I didn't want to get out in the cold. I've ben cold ever since.
    My diverticulitis diet has lasted for two meals. Then I started craving things. I may pay for the popcorn I've eaten this afternoon.
  • Chelle. The pork tenderloin recipe is in my previous post. You asked for the recipe. That is where it is.
  • C has had 5 days of no blood in stool. Very excited. Still going to doc on day a -
  • Happy New Years Eve Day! I ring in the new year at around 9:30 and go to bed. haha

Working till noon today then out of here. I am going to make stuffed cabbage rolls in the crocker tomorrow then my bro and SIL are coming over around 1:00 for yummies. Not sure what else I am going to serve with them but sure to come up with something.

Not doing personals today, too many irons in the fire, security is here and the painters are here finishing up the other suite we are expanding into. I am chief bottle washer for this shindig. I want them to be done by noon so I can leave. Friday evening we move so it will be a late nite of work for me. bleh.

HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR.....Let this be a safe, healthy, happy, prosperus year for all of us worldlie chickies. Hugs and love to you lovely ladies and thank you for making me a part of your lives. xoxoxo Annie
  • Arrgh, just lost my post! Not gonna re-write it.

Happy New Year to Shad - did you stay up to ring in 2014?

Wishing the rest of the Worldlies a Happy New Year, with mucho health & happiness in 2014.
  • My last Mel Moment for the thread -

WISHING ALL OF US A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR FILLED WITH LOTS OF HAPPINESS, GOOD HEALTH AND LOVE.

I HAD TO POST THAT BEFORE I ANSWERED THE DOOR. SEEMS LIKE NEW YEARS EVE IS BEGINNING EARLY AND A TENANTS SON IS DRUNK ALREADY BABIES, DRUNKS, WOUNDED ANIMALS AND SICK PEOPLE LOVE ME

HAVE A GREAT DAY. I INTEND TO SPEND MINE WITH HARRISON FORD...HOPE HE TREATS ME BETTER THAN ALL HIS WIVES!!!

Goodbye my dear friend, I am sure going to miss you and your humor. Where ever you are now, they are lucky you landed there. Keep on spreading your special kind of love - I am honored to have been a part of your life.

Thank you too to all the chicks who participated in the Mellie Moments.
  • Good chilly morning on this New Year's Eve,

It was minus 21 degrees this morning at 8:30 which is pretty darn cold for the morning when the sun is already up. It was chilly in the house too although much warmer in the back half where the bedroom is - and the place I would not have minded being on the cooler side. I'm just glad we have heat and no reason to go out.

Michelle - you certainly are the queen of the wild ride when it comes to jobs. What an interesting turn of events. But didn't you say that the SJ office was closed for 2 weeks over the holidays? Who was there to negotiate the new offer? Glad it all worked out the way you wanted it to.

Annie - hope you get out of the office early and good to hear that C is having a "clean run" that has to put your mind at ease - for the moment. Send some cabbage rolls over to my sister please - she LOVES them.

Ceejay - hope you don't get sick from the popcorn. That was something my Mom loved and was her biggest regret to have to give up for the diverticulitis. I guess having a tummy ache is the best motivator to turn one's eating plan around - but hey, that food still sounds good in our head no matter how much we tell ourselves we shouldn't have it, right?

Shaddie - you're almost close to ringing in the New Year. Make sure it's a good one - some of the chicks can use some good vibes.

Laura - sorry you lost your post. Re: grating the citrus rind, if you don't already have one, look at getting a micro plane. I have a couple of them - differerent sizes for grating zest, cheese, etc. I love them and so does everyone who has tried them. You can get them anywhere in the housewares section.

Susie - do you have any plans for tonight? Did you decide on anything with DH's ablation?

As for me, I am in the mood to bring some organization into my life this New Year. Also intend to focus hard on the eating and exercising. First I have to take care of this vertigo which is getting worse. Now even slight head movements get me wobbly. I have an appointment with the physical therapist January 16 to see if we can get these crystals back where they belong.

I am also going to be backing off the computer for a while. I spend entirely too much time on here and once I get on, it's hard to get off so I am better off staying away in the first place. It also is not doing me any good with my neck pain. I'm realizing now that part of the reason I felt so good at my sister's was that I was not sitting for hours hunched over a keyboard. And I'm headed right back to where I was earlier with the neck and back pain which means it's time to get in front of it and change some things up. So I'll be posting less frequently and am debating about shutting down my Facebook account also.

I wish each and every one of you a very happy and healthy new year. May we achieve the dreams and goals we set for ourselves.

Love to all of you
  • HEY HAPPY....before you go, could you or SHADDIE start the new thread for January? I really do not have any suggestions.