Worldly Chicks in October - Keepin The Sisterhood Tight

You're on Page 15 of 19
Go to
  • Michelle
    I'd written a note to Jen telling her to use it. There was no name on it.
  • Morning all,

Michelle has come up with an article that your wonderful government will deduct SSI beneficiaries who receive gift cards. Now if that isn't the silliest thing I ever heard. However it is what they do. So............... this presents an interesting concept as to how we can support this little family who deserve better than what they are getting. Lovely idea Ceejay and well given but we better think clearly about where to from here. Don't need to cause any further distress.

Just spent 3 hours in the garden getting it ready for my going away. Now I am trying to get to the accountant to tell him I am not happy about this trust fund and that I am getting very tired of being pushed to change what I want the trust fund to do. Bloody lawyers. Get their fingers in the pie and nothing happens but trial and trouble.

Later this afternoon, I will go back out there and take to the hedge and mow the lawns. Another early morning in the garden should take care of that and then to sort the pots and the rest of the house. The house is not too bad but is dusty and has clumps of cat hair everywhere. Then I need to check all the doors and windows and ensure burglar proof. Sometimes I wonder if it is all worth it. Ah well. Can't retire yet.

Meantime I had better go work out what gear I need to take and whether I should buy stuff over there and where I will live and how I will get there. Frickin' heck.
  • What's this about Jen's comment about a blind and paralyzed woman??? Did something happen to Mel's eyes again?
  • Nah, just means that the cataracts are still making her vision impaired.
  • We Worldlie Chickies, the mom's that we are of furry or human, ARE ALL WORRY WARTS...lolololol. Mostly just kind and concerned but worry warts for short...

Gift cards...how the heck would the government even know that they received them or are using them?

Will come back for personals later...
  • I'm curious too about how the gov would know if they got these. They could have purchased it themselves. Bahumbug. Is Jen on SSI?
    Nothing exciting happened over night.
    Been out to check on the yellow jackets and don't see any yet but it's still cool.
    ______
    Shad
    I'll be working outside today as well. I'm hoping this will be the last of the mowing. They are predicting a frost this week. It's cold this morning.

When you all think of something that we cando for them with out inerfering with the gov let me know.

Have a couple of things to do in the house and this afternoon outside.
  • Morning all. This week is dragging. Bleh.

Michelle - Interesting article. Sadly, not surprising the govt wants to go after this, but I guess this is some sort of loophole they are trying to close when it's part of a planned strategy to not show another means of financial support that could deem SS benefits unnecessary. Yes, sooo hard to see our pets feeling unwell. I'm glad Santa is feeling better and I hope he can return to doggy daycare soon. So nice of you to put captions in the photos. I will try to put some more photos/pics out there for Mellie.

Annie - Glad you got the referral appointment. I sure hope they can do something about it. Be forceful - you shouldn't have to live with this pain interfering with your life!! Don't know much about Manning, so it's nice to hear he's doing good things like that.

Happy - Too bad about the water heater leaking! I hope there wasn't too much damage in the shop. Nice if you'll be able to get down here to visit your mom & sis. Busy week for you. I hope the doc can help you with your back/neck probs. Anything that interferes with my sleep is a major issue in my book!! I can probably recall a lot of the pilates moves, but I do find it amazing that when I go to my classes, the classes are always different, and the instructors are always just moving from one move to the next in such a flow. I find myself wondering if they plan it, or if it just comes naturally. They must plan at least some of it in advance, because some classes we use hand weights for a few moves, Monday's we used the "corebar" for some...We always use the mini-ball - a squishy inflated ball the size of a soccer ball, so I know those moves can be determined on the fly.

Hi Susie! Hope you're having a good week.

I'm wondering how many people the govt. actually gets to report their gift cards received as income. You'd think the government has bigger fish to fry. I think gift cards are a less traceable way for folks to help loved ones (versus writing out a check). I'm not worried. I can't see the employees in that medical facility taking note of any extras patients have becoming informants.

Ceejay - I was out in the yard with the dog this morning freezing my buns off and noted the frost on the grass. Grass that is long and that bf will have to mow. I can hear his complaints already. I hope the bees are gone now! I should think the cold will eventually kill them off or send them into hibernation - whatever it is that they do when it gets cold. That's the only thing good about these frosts - killing off the bugs, and at some point the skunks will hibernate and we can relax a bit. But not yet - I've smelled skunk in our area at least a few times over the past week. These devices can get to be expensive, especially if you need to buy a data package for them. We bought a used iPad that bf mainly uses. He puts e-books on it, and accesses the internet on it via our house wi-fi connection. We don't buy a separate data package for it - if we need internet outside the house, we have our smart phones.

Shad - Hope you get all the garden and house work done before you have to leave for your next assignment. Re the burglar proofing - if they really want to get in, they will. It just depends on if they have the opportunity to go about their work unnoticed. I always hope our dog is a good enough deterrent.
    ==

I really enjoyed the movie "Captain Phillips" last night. I didn't know much at all about the actual story upon which it's based, but knowing the final outcome didn't lessen my enjoyment of it. The villains in the story were humanized and I thought the lead villain was very good. And I heard somewhere that he didn't even have an acting background! My only complaint is not enough views of hunky shirtless SEALS, lol.

Tonight's my last Barre class of the session. I've enjoyed it, but I do think going up on my "toes" doesn't agree with me. It's really going up on the balls of the feet, and this bothers my bunion. But I feel like class this really worked out my feet, ankles, and calves a lot.

I ordered a 4 month supply of daily contacts yesterday. Hope it doesn't bring my flex spending acount into deficit. That would mean I have to reimburse it. Sometimes I wonder if the hassle of the FSA is worth it....I have to complete my benefits enrollment this week, which includes a new estimate for my FSA. Bleh.

Tonight I have to start a 12-hour fast for my health evaluation tomorrow morning. This time, not only will they draw blood, but they also measure your height, waist circumference, and weight.

Today I'm supposed to meet a HS friend for lunch who has made one of her quick pops into town (she lives in the Twin Cities MN). Of course she hasn't confirmed that the time I threw out a couple days ago is okay because she might not have internet access while she's here. I'll leave her a message on her cell phone. I always feels funny doing that because she has a pay-as-you-go phone and I don't want to use up her minutes.

Eeek, meeting now. TTFN!!
  • Morning all,

I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon - she had a cancellation and I was able to grab it. Going to ask about this nagging neck and back problem, also time to make the boob squish appointment and get my meds refilled. Not a good time for a weigh in as DH made a fabulous roasted pork yesterday with bacon and soy sauce. I'm sure my cholesterol number is not in a good place either. Maybe I can put off the blood tests until next week. I have decided that I am going to go visit my Mom for 2 weeks next month. Apparently she is thrilled about it according to my sister. I will probably fly down there - not what I particularly want especially since I will have a layover and have to change planes but it's easier on everyone else. Haven't decided how I will return home yet - I have a few options I am mulling over. The plane ticket isn't as expensive as I thought it would be - if this works out it means I might have a few more visits with her. I just won't have a car which considering there are so many multi families crammed into single family homes on her block that I can't park there anyway so no problems. I'm glad I will get to see and spend some time with my sister again.

As for the gift cards and Mel - how is anyone going to know about them? I am hesitant to send a check seeing as how Mel said Jen had a problem cashing a check a while back that caused them unnecessary extra expenses in bungled fees and such. I think I'd just take the "that's for me to know and you to find out" approach I know how the government works - it's very sad that her benefits will be taken away in lieu of a hospital bed yet there is nothing left for living expenses. I say you all do what is in your hearts, that's what I will do. I'm glad she got the picture frame, I hope she enjoys it. Thanks for clearing up about the cataracts - I was afraid there were bigger issues lurking.

Shad - sorry they have bungled up the trust fund. That is why DH is pushing back on getting a will done - hates having to pay ridiculous fees to a bunch of lawyers who won't do things right the first time. I hope they get it fixed. Are you going to have to buy warmer clothes for your next contract? Glad you will be there when the niece drops the new niecelette.

Ceejay - I can't believe they are talking snow down your way already. Have the leaves even started to turn yet? That's interesting that you decided not to keep the tablet. My sister ordered one for her birthday and when it came she decided she didn't want to keep it either. Right now I can't see the use for one either. Hope that doesn't make us old and cogetity

Annie - I sure do hope the doctor can help you out with your foot, after all you are going to have another grandchild to chase after. Yes, I started my next online class next week - I am hoping that I don't lose out on the very last week of lessons since I will be away and won't have computer access to anything.

Michelle - glad to hear Santa is getting a bit better - thanks for the explanation of kennel cough. I didn't think he was contagious to you but moreso the possibility of getting reinfected when he went back to daycare. It's good that not only do you get chef's meals, but healthy ones to boot! That's the kind of cook one needs in their life.

Hi Laura - we are probably typing over each other again. How was the movie?

Hi Susie

I need to get a few things done before I get ready for the doctor's appointment. I had a cup of coffee but am not going to eat anything in case they want the blood draw today. Of course because I can't have it, I'm hungry now.

Later ladies...
  • Here's what grates my grits too about the whole gift card thing - Mel and Jen are struggling and yet you hear about all this fraud with food stamps and how so many people who should not get them do and then sell them, trade them or abuse them. And here we're trying to help someone decent.
  • Despite the article, I agree with y'all. I mean, who is going to know about the gift cards? If we sent her clothing or blankets or baskets of food...those wouldn't dip into her SSI.

I'm going to try and get into the doctor today. I've got some sort of eye infection. One of my eyes is swollen nearly shut.

Sorry, no time for personals yet this morning...A few people are getting errors when accessing parts of the website, and I have to troubleshoot the issue.

Much love,
  • HAPPY...I woke up to snow flurries this morning. Very cold too. 30s. None of it stuck to the ground and now the sun is shining. So what you are telling me when you go to your momma's for two weeks we won't have contact with you for two weeks? I will miss you. Hope the doc can figure out what is causing your neck/back pain.

CHELLE...yikes on the eye swollen shut put us together and we would have a freaky monster. Your eye and my limp...Igor for sure. lol. Feel better

LAURA...funny I haven't even heard of the movie Captain Phillips. I will have to google it.

CEEG...too chilly here to work outside. Heck, Sassy didn't even want to go out and potty this morning. She actually tip toes through the wet grass.

SHADDIE...bloody lawyers and bloody brokers. THe broker my dad had actually lost about 200K of his money before we stopped the bleeding. Stealing from old people, that was all it was.

Hiya Susie.

Sissy colored my hair last night then made dinner for C and I. It was very good. She is coming around on her cooking. SHe was too busy with sports to stay in the kitchen and watch me when she was a kid so she is on a learning curve right now. However doing very well with it. Now my son is an awesome cook. Not that he watched me much but he always asked a ton of questions about things I made. He is a good add libber to recipes also.

C and his brother went fishing in the cold weather today. I got a text from him a little bit ago saying they had caught 30 or so fish so far. Of course, the day I don't go the fishing is great.

Everyone make it a happy hump day!!

Loves and hugs
  • Snow for Happy AND Annie! Temps in the 20s (near Milwaukee) and 30s in Indy?! No thank you! So when do y'all want to come visit me in sunny CA?

I'm leaving in an hour for my doctor appt. Then I'm sure I'll have to stop at the pharmacy for some nasty eye drops or ointment for my eye. Yuck.

I'll try and post more later. I dislike shopping at, and supporting, WalMart...but I went online and ordered our friend a gift card from there. I'll pick up a gas card for Jen (and probably send that to her mom's address too unless Shad can get Jen's apartment number for us).
  • Michelle - sent you a FB message with Jen's apt #
  • Happy
    Can you send me Jen's apt number also? No the leave in this area are just barely turning. I doubt that we have snow. We are supposed to get a frost this week end.

Michelle
    Bless you, hope the eye problem is not to serious.

Annie
    Now I would have like to have been fishing with them today.

Laura
    I don't think i've seen that movie advertised. Mostly Holloween stuff this week.
    ------
    Mowed the lawn today, hopefully for the last time this season. Still have the yellow jacket problem but not as bad. I've read on line to pour boiling water on them and that's what I've been doing. I do the sneak approach. When I checked on them this morning, they looked like they were mating. Think I've found the last entrance to their under ground nest. I saw about 7 tonight. Hope they have ran out of friends for reinforcements I also cleaned off that spot which was really over grown after I dowsed one nest that was being built. There were about 25 on it. It's been interesting to watch these things. I read on line that the critter's could go down 4 foot in the ground. These guys were down a foot maybe more when I spotted them. They keep reappearing. So who knows how far down they are.
  • Hi all,

I got an email from Jen.

I just left mom...she's doing ok today...one day -- good 2 bad....She wanted me to explain that she can't talk on the phone/in person....when she speaks for more than 2 minutes she gets real sick & and winded. she's in pretty much pain...still can't eat...she's bearly holding down water...so when i'm there i'm only there 20-30 minutes a day & I do all the talking..lol She wanted me to tell you she got all the cards you girls have been sending...their great...nice to know someones thinking ABOUT YOU...i'm thinking about you girls too....miss you you all...want everyone to keep smiling....tell them I've had a good long run since that last time it "showed" up...lol Can't complain...I've had over 15 years...not too shabby! don't make yourselves crazy....Jennifer promises to give you girls updates at least once a week. I send LOVE :-* TO YOU ALL....thinking of you...missing you.....Your FREIND Mel

Jen also included her personal email which I will send to you if you want it. I told her we didn't want to bombard her with a lot of stuff so we'd probably just filter everything between team captains Joy and Jen I thanked her for the update and said we were all worried about both of them. I will continue to send her cards and notes once a week.

I went to the doctor today and was chastised for not coming in sooner about the hip problem. I told her I thought I was causing it. As soon as she grabbed my hip to check me and squeezed I knew it was a bursitis problem. I'm not sure how those little puppies get inflamed but the bursa in my foot is also acting up again. She said that as the hips got worse I changed my gait and now my foot, right knee, left thigh and my neck are all up. She said my shoulder was really, really tight. Gave me a cortisone shot in the left hip because that seemed to be more inflamed. Offered me a shot in the right hip too but I took a pass on it because she said sometimes one shot will work on all the inflammation. She is sending me to physical therapy for the neck and shoulder but they can't get me in until November 4 which is 2 weeks away so I'm not so sure what good that will do. Maybe I'll just find a place and get a shoulder massage. She also gave me a flu shot (I was going to skip this year but then said - what the heck - working at the store you never know what you're going to run into, especially when you are handling money and people's donated stuff). I also had a blood draw which thank goodness they were able to do with minimal discomfort. Got scheduled for my boob squish and she said I could skip the pap test another year. I have a follow up appointment with her right before I head off to see Mom. Talked to Mom tonight - she is really excited I am coming for a visit. I will help her get her Christmas stuff out and am looking forward to some quality time with my sister too. I asked DH if he was going to have a party when I was gone and he said yep, him and the kitties!

Anyway it's late and my hip is bothering me at the injection site sitting in this desk chair so I'm off to bed. Will finish up in the morning. Good night all.