Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #151  

Morning all. Happy Hump Day. But honestly, it feels like it should be Thursday by now...

Ceejay - I'm going to MO at the end of September for my mom's b-day. Re WW, I'm still going to meetings at work. It might be nice to re-read The Great Gatsby before you watch the movie so you can refresh your memory of it. I still think it's funny that I could have sworn I read the book way back when and when I started reading it, I realized I hadn't. Wonder what book I was remembering instead?? At least someone's close to their weekend!!!

Mel - Hope you get to be outside in the good weather for a bit today.

Hellos to the rest of the Worldlies.
===

After work, I took a different train line and met bf up on the "north shore" to look at a headboard we'd found on craigslist. Just what we wanted, in great condition, and a great price. I still like the queen headboard that we originially bought with our bedroom set better, but this king headboard is very nice and is nicely contemporary.

We actually managed to fit it into the back of the loaner SUV we had from the dealer and get it home without too much trouble. Interesting trip because the people selling it had a house in a very rich area and the house was huge, the property was huge and it was literally across the street from homes that are right on Lake Michigan. Lovely view. Don't often get to see up close and personal how the 1%'ers live.

Next step for that headboard - aside from a good dusting - is to buy the thingies that let us attach it to our sleep number bed - apparently our bed doesn't have a traditional frame, so we need to fork over some $$ to buy some sort of adapter.

After that, bf went off to the dealer to drop the loaner and pick up our car - it had three different things repaired, and the bill sure reflected that. But it's generally been a good car. Sure hope it continues to be.

Nothing else to report, so I'll post. Have a great day everyone.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #152  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Good morning ladies -

I really like my new job. Everyone is so welcoming. Yesterday I received the access to all the systems I need, and several assignments. I'm trying to devise ways to automate some of the more manual efforts, and my manager is pleased that I'm thinking along those lines. I'm still adjusting to my new work schedule and commute. The commute takes me a little less than an hour each way, but that includes the time it takes to drop off/pick up Santa, so it's not too bad at all - not for around here anyway. I didn't get to the gym on Monday, but I went yesterday after work and did 10 minutes of a kickboxing class (I know, what was I thinking, but I figured I'd try it). Anyway, after 10 minutes, my back made it clear that it would prefer the exercise bike. So I did 25 minutes of the bike, plus the 10 minutes of kickboxing. Not too bad. Maybe next week, I'll try the elliptical for a few minutes just to give myself some variety. Tonight is water aerobics. My manager said I could work 8-4:30, which is great as that will allow me to get to the gym after work, and then pick up Santa after I'm done working out.

I'm doing pretty good with following Weight Watchers. I say pretty good because I am tracking faithfully, but have been dipping into the weekly allotment of extra points. We'll see how I do at my first weigh in on Saturday.

===============================
Laura - A 0.2 lb gain isn't too bad really. I agree with you about the meeting leaders, finding the right one can make a lot of difference. Wow, you really did get a good deal on the airfare to see your mom. That's great you found a nice headboard at a good price on Craigslist. Years ago, my ex and I bought out couch and loveseat in exactly the color and style I wanted, in perfect condition, on the Chicago Craigslist. Too funny about how the 1%'ers live. When I lived in Wisconsin, if we wanted to go to rummage sales, we went to the lakefront neighborhoods, as the quality of stuff was better, but the price was still good because people wanted to make room for redecorating!

Mel - Don't work too hard, ok? And keep away from sick people. We don't want you getting sick.

Ceejay - I hope you don't have to work too hard today either. Do you have any fun plans for the weekend? Do you get a long weekend for Labor Day or do you have to work on the holiday weekend? I don't remember reading the book "The Great Gatsby", but I thought the movie was good.

Annie - Enjoy your new furniture and your getaway!

to Shad and Happy!

Much love and many hugs,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #153  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hello ladies,

Another hot one today except it is overcast and we are supposed to get some thunderstorms and rain this afternoon. Hope so, we desperately need it. I gave everything a good soak yesterday. In addition we have a bird bath, large dog bowl and the bottom piece of a planter filled with water. The critters must have figured out this is an easy drink where there isn't much water around save for a walk to the nearby lake because everything was bone dry this morning and I filled it all up last night. Also I always check the doors and outside when I go to bed and I saw what looked like a bear cub and a large dark mass out on the lawn. I wasn't sure if it was a big bear or some tree bark so I got a flashlight and just cracked the door open. With that squeak noise the big lump (huge bear) took off running for the next town. Not sure if this was the same bear we saw a couple of weeks ago that was limping badly but this one sure was scared of humans (a very GOOD thing for both parties). The younger bear took off in the other direction but just stood by the man cave and when I closed the door it ventured back. DH said that if it was 2 bears together was probably a momma and cub because normally they are solitary and don't tolerate others. I have no desire to see them any closer than across the yard behind a closed door! The hummingbird population is dwindling down - I think they are getting ready (early) for their long trip south. I do think we will have an early autumn here. So yesterday even though DH said it was HOT, after I did my chores I sat out on the deck and listened to music on my iPod because as I told him I have learned to appreciate the good weather as we head toward the end of season. Tomorrow I am going blueberry picking with my cousin which should be fun. Yesterday I made a chicken salad with sliced grapes and chopped cashews which was fantastic. Just improvising. I also had a nice fruit salad of cantaloupe, strawberries and raspberries. It was such a good and filling lunch that I didn't want supper - had some popcorn in the late evening. I am hoping that the steroids are helping Nina the young cat. She isn't gassy and stinky and seems to be calming down and tolerating her food better. Please, please, please let this work. I am excited because my sushi kit is coming today from Amazon. I have decided to try my own after jonsing about it for so long and knowing that DH will probably not be that interested in taking a 90 minute trip up north to a Japanese restaurant so I can get my fill. I'll take any tips from sushi makers here.

Annie - have a most amazing time with C at your cabin in the woods. Just remember when you are running around nekkid that sounds carry far in the forest Hope the new furniture arrived in perfect shape and looks great.

Shad - are you having a good time yourself with the family?

Michelle - good to hear that you like the new job. Would be horrible if you got there and realized they lied about the work, the people or the projects. Sounds like you will do well. I am debating about dropping WW - I can't really seem to get into it and for me it works best if I eat the same things over and over again which I don't like. It's just easier to count points that way. Good job on getting to the gym. A less than hour commute counting time to take care of Santa is not bad at all. Hope it stays that way for you. At least you don't have to worry about weather delays much.

Laura - good to hear that you finally found a headboard that you liked. We never did put one on our sleep number bed for the same reason you found with the frame although ours sits on a traditional type of frame. Hope you can work something out. Your comments about the neighborhood reminded me of when I was doing PC work out at the CEO's home in Glencoe. Such incredibly beautiful "estates" out that way. He was near to the lakeshore too but the downside according to his wife was that the house had gotten struck by lightning several times. They had lightning rods and when they went away for anything longer than a day, they had to disconnect all the pricey electronics and appliances. So see - even the wealthy have problems But they are gorgeous old houses if you can get behind the tree lined and private drives to see them. Even though you had to spend some money on car repairs, it seemed like you made a good choice getting the SUV rental in it's place. I can't believe a king headboard fit in the car!

Ceejay - doing anything special for your long weekend or just taking it easy?

Dang, the sun is coming out. I want it to rain!!!!

Mel - sounds like superMEL got sucked into action. Hope it's not too hectic of a day for you.

I think I'll go find some lunch. Have a good day everyone.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #154  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Well I am here and it is raining and today I will be going out to see my friend Chris and have a giggle or two with her. Last night I went to dinner with another friend and we had a lovely tapas meal.

As to whether I am having a good time over here - well no! apart from visiting friends which was not what I came over here to do. I suppose it has been good in that I am getting to know my niece and her husband better and having a family time with them but that wasn't what I came over here for either. Enough - God gave us our families, thank God we can chose our friends.

Michelle - good that you are enjoying your new job and that you can get to exercise as and when you can. Nice that you don't have a huge commute.

Happy - big bears in the yard. The younger one sounds a bit daring. Hope it managed to catch up with the mom before she reached the next county. It's raining here in NZ today, maybe I should send it over. It's cold too. Maybe you don't want that.
As far as sushi goes, I've made my own for quite a while. They are probably none too traditional but who gives a damn. I find that at first I put too much rice on the nori paper (seaweed sheet) and it made the darn thing too thick when rolled and also difficult to cut. So a thin layer of sushi rice, then you filling just at one end and roll from that end. There is something about shiny side and dull side of the nori but I can't remember that bit for the moment. Anyway, they are good for left over bits and pieces - I've even made a salami sushi and a pickle sushi.

Laura - glad to hear that you got the headboard for the bed at last. As you say, interesting to see how the 1% live in times of trouble and stress. Hope you can get the bits for the headboard with out too much hassle and $. Do you have to attach it to the bed?? Might it not be easier to attach it to the wall and then just butt the bed up to it?

Mel - don't work to hard and don't wear out that brain. You might have some serious counselling to do when I get back.

Ceejay - Glad that you have no problems to report since nothing is new in your neck of the woods. I hope you have a great 4 day weekend and of course we always look forward to payday. After all it is why we work.

Annie - enjoy that cabin in the northwoods or whichever direction those woods are. I would love to be there at this moment - even if only to thaw out.

Never mind - today is Thursday, go home on Saturday. Will miss the big footy match since I will be at 37000ft when that kicks off. No doubt there will be a replay the next day.
So it is time for me to find some breakfast, get showered and dressed and ready for the day. At least the rain appears to be clearing.

Last edited by Shad; 08-21-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #155  
Choose your hard

Quick post for me as I have to get up early to go blueberry picking. I actually should have been in bed over an hour ago but was printing driving directions just as a back up and making a CD of 50's and 60's music so J and I can sing when we're not chatting away.

Sorry you are not having a decent visit Shad - you will have to fill us in on your return. Make the best of it which I'm sure you will. Thanks for the sushi tips - I just found a great website that gives how to instructionals, recipes and tips. I did see something about the shiny side of nori but since I was glancing over quickly I will bookmark it and pay more attention when actually making it. I may ask you for tips when you get back. Will also be happy to take the rain you might want to send over although I'm sure it will dry up well before it gets here which is part of the problem.

To the rest of you lot, have a good Thursday, I will check in later.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #156  
Choose your hard

Oh and thanks to all goodness in the world for the first time in 2 months since we brought her home, Nina the cat has finally gotten through a day without making a litterbox mess. DH and I are both hoping that this means we finally have been able to manage her condition. She swiped her sister's chair when she wasn't looking and is fast asleep right now while her older sister is sitting on the floor looking grumpy. I don't care - there are plenty of soft cat resting spots to be had, I am off to bed before it gets so late it doesn't make sense to lay my head down. Good night all.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #157  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

GOOD MORNING CHICKS.

I MADE IT THRU YESTERDAY AND NOW GOTTA GET THRU TODAY.
MORE WORK AND THE DAY ENDS WITH MEETINGS.
GOOD THING THE BOSSLADY MENTIONED IT. I FORGOT.
JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW IMPORTANT MEETINGS OR ELECTIONS HAVE BECOME TO ME
I FEAR MY HEAD IS ALREADY "OUT THE DOOR".
I NEED TO STOP DAWDLING AND GET MYSELF WASHED & DRESSED.
GOTTA PUT SOME HOURS IN FOR THE EXTRA CHECK.
IT'S DUE ON SEPTEMBER FIRST

HOPE ANNIE IS HAVING A GREAT TIME.
WHEN I GOOGLED BROWN COUNTY CABINS ...THERE WERE TONS IF PICS.
GOD'S COUNTRY FOR SURE. LOTS OF CABIN SITES.
MUST BE A HUGE AREA FOR VACAYS.
THIS PIC TODAY IS A COVERED BRIDGE FROM THERE SOMEPLACE.

HAPPY....SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE CAT AND YOUR ACHES & PAINS.
HOPE THE KITTY AND YOU BOTH FEEL BETTER SOON.
I CAN UNDERSTAND HOW THE DH FEELS ABOUT THE MONEY GOING OUT THE WINDOW.
HOPING THE STEROIDS AND THE FOOD DOES THE TRICK.
PS: GLAD TO HEAR NINA HAD A GOOD DAY.
WHEN YOU BUILD THE CABIN...MAKE SURE THE BEARS KNOW IT'S NOT FOR THEM!!!

CEEJAY....I WOULD BE WATCHING THE CAMERA AND WAVING!!
WHEN WE FIRST GOT OURS IN THE LOBBY I WAVED IN CASE THE DIRECTOR WAS WATCHING US. ROFLMAO
HOPE YOUR DAY TURNED OUT OK.
BET YOU CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE FAMILY AGAIN.

LAURA....SO HAPPY TO HEAR ABOUT THE CHEAP AIRFARE.
WHAT A GREAT BUY. CONGRATS.
FUNNY ABOUT THE EMAIL 10 MINS LATER. ROFL
THE SUMMER IS FLYING BY.
GLAD YOU FOUND THE RIGHT HEADBOARD AND GOT IT HOME.
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE CAR BILL. FINGERS CROSSED FOR A LONG GOOD RUN!
ENJOY THE NEW LEADER...HOPE IT A GOOD ONE!

MICHELLE....GLAD THE JOB IS WORKING OUT SO FAR.
GLAD TO HEAR ALSO THAT THE COMMUTE ISN'T TOO BAD.
GOOD LUCK WITH THE WW AND NTHE MEETING.

SHADDIE....I AM READY TO COUNSEL & TO BE COUNSELLED!!
JUST HANG ON TILL YOU GET HOME.
I FEEL I AM MISSING A LARGE PIECE TO THE PUZZLE.
YOU ONLY HAVE 2 MORE DAYS....MORE HUGS....

Last edited by MELODY525; 08-22-2013 at 07:53 AM.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #158  

Morning all. We're getting there - closer to the weekend.

Mel - Lovely photo of the covered bridge. I'll have to check into that. I wouldn't mind taking a short getaway to a sleepy little area with nothing much to do but explore the covered bridges and row on a little lake. Yes, it seems both of us are trudging through our week. Hope the meetings don't drag tonight!! Re the new ww leader - it's a he, and our old leader was singing his praises, so let's hope he lives up to her hype.

Happy - Yay for the kitty, and let's get another good day under the belt!! Have fun blueberry picking - you're probably already on your way and singing to the oldie. Not much for eating blueberries out of hand, but I do enjoy a blueberry muffin that's more berry than muffin! What are your plans for them?? Oh, the SUV we had was a loaner from the dealer while we had the car in for service, so no rental fees. Glad the timing of that worked out for us! With only one car at the moment, using a dealer that still has loaners is important! Funny story about having to unplug all the electronics during t-storms - and there's probably plenty to unplug!! Scary about those bears - I didn't even want to go out in the yard after dark the other night because the skunk scent was in the air!!! Good luck with the sushi!!! I think you should create a blueberry sushi roll, LOL!

Hi Ceejay - Enjoy your weekend!!
====

Nothing much to report. Didn't do much of anything last night.

It's overcast this morning with rain moving in. It would be nice if we got enough so I don't have to water. That was something I should have done last night and didn't.

The boss is out sick today. I have a feeling there will be more of those coming just because I know she's used up all of her vacation time...

Okay, nothing else, so I'll get this posted. TTFN!

Shad - Sorry you visit hasn't been 100% happy and light, but nice you're getting together with friends. Re the headboard - we prefer to attach it to the bed. Turns out the adapter bracket thingy is $30, so not too ridiculous since we got free shipping and a discount on top of that. Sorry you're going to miss the football match while in the air. But on Sunday you can wrap up on a blanket on the sofa and enjoy the replay. Oh gosh, did I just have a pleasant thought about upcoming Sundays during our US football season???!!! Yikes. Way too early for those thoughts IMO. (Though the greedy league/owners have already begun with the pre-season games. Humbug!)
Old 08-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #159  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

I'LL BE BACK IN A FEW DAYS TIME.
MY SECURITY PACK RAN OUT ON THE COMPUTER.
SOMEHOW I NEVER GOT THE WARNING EMAIL.
IT ENDED LAST NIGHT AT MIDNIGHT & I JUST GOT THE NOTICE.
AS SOON AS I BUY IT I'LL BE BACK.
STAY OUT OF TROUBLE WHILE I AM GONE!!!
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #160  
Creating a Healthier Me

Happy Thursday ladies,

Work is going well. I've been able to make some important updates/fixes to the site. I still have MUCH to learn about the systems, but I'm getting there. My boss has agreed to let me flex my hours to 8-4:30, so I've been going to the gym after work. Tuesday I did 1/2 hour on the recumbent bike; Wednesday I did an hour of water aerobics; and today I'm going to try a Step Class, but if it doesn't work out, I'll jump on the bike for a 1/2 hour. I'm also going to purchase some styrofoam water weights so I can work out in the pool at my stepmom's.

Not much else is new. I don't have any real plans for this weekend except for helping out my friend who is going through radiation. He has good days and bad, but is doing well overall so far. And then D and I will probably go out on Saturday evening. I don't have plans yet for Labor Day weekend either. D will be busy running a bridge tournament that starts this coming Monday and runs through Labor Day Monday.

Did I mention I'm having a 50th birthday "do-over" this year? On the weekend of September 7 and 8, I'm re-doing my 50th birthday, since my actual 50th birthday pretty much sucked last year with the demise of my marriage and all. So I'm doing it over...with good friends and family and lots of fun. I'm throwing myself a party on Saturday, Sept. 7 at my stepmom's place. It will be a pool party/cookout. And then on Sunday, Sept. 8, my good friends from high school are taking me Ziplining in the redwoods (http://mounthermonadventures.com/redwood-canopy-tours), which should be a blast. I figure the Ziplining shouldn't hurt my back since it's non-weight bearing, and my doc thinks it should be ok too. There may be a bit of standing and walking...but it looks like so much fun, and in such a beautiful surrounding...what a memorable way to celebrate my birthday! I can't wait!

=========================
Happy - I'm glad the bears kept their distance. Here's a link to my fave author Tom Ryan's blog, and a particular post about how they frequently have bear in their yard in the mountains of New Hampshire (http://tomandatticus.blogspot.com/20...n-visitor.html). You are so right about appreciating the good weather as autumn and the season that follows grow near. It's funny. When I lived in Wisconsin, I hated thinking of the end of August and being reminded of the end of summer with the "back to school" sales and Halloween merchandise being displayed. When I first noticed it here, I reflexively got upset about the end of summer...and then I realized Northern California has such a moderate climate year round that autumn and winter aren't bad at all here. It rains here, but rarely ever do we get frost. And the daytime highs are usually in the 60s. It's so good to be here! I know moving back was absolutely the right thing for me. Hope you were able to pick lots of blueberries!! Fresh blueberries sound absolutely delicious! I love them plain, in a smoothie, in a muffin, in a fruit salad, you name it! It sounds like Nina's doing better. I hope it continues.

Shad - I'm pretty sure I missed why you are back in NZ. And even though you're not having a great time of it, at least you're getting time with friends and also with your niece and her husband. I hope the rest of your stay goes well. Sending you hugs.

Mel - That extra check for you will sure be nice. Just make sure you make time for rest and meditation, ok? Sorry to hear about your computer woes. Sending many hugs your way.

Laura - I hope your new WW leader is a good one. The WW leader for my first meeting was pretty good. But I'll probably be going to a Saturday morning. It's not too early to start thinking about football season...it starts in 3 weeks, right? I still have to locate a Packer bar where I can watch the games. The first Packer game is against the SF 49ers, so it will be on local TV here. But I'll have to DVR it since I'll be Ziplining during the game!

Ceejay - Have you started your 4 day weekend yet?

Gotta get back to it. And also figure out what I'm going to do for lunch. I'm thinking of going to a nearby grocery store...hopefully they have a salad bar.

Love and hugs,

Last edited by diyana; 08-22-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #161  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all.
Sitting back here with a cup of Earl Grey tea and feeling pretty toasty since I just walked up the hill and had to stop and take my jacket off halfway up. Well that was the excuse I made for stopping to catch my breath.

Happy - how good to hear that Nina the cat is getting better. My vet usually tells me it all comes down to diet and if you had her history from birth you may find that she was weaned too soon and given some substandard food, which now manifests itself in the problem you are having. Enjoy the blueberry picking

Mel - you head is out of it because you haven't been feeling so good. It's okay to forget now and then. There have been plenty of times where I just want to crawl under the bed and hope it all goes away.
1 more day now. I am happy enough, it just isn't what I came for and I won't be back for sometime either.

Laura - yes you did just have a Sunday moment. Time moves on and waits for no man or woman - although you have to admit that most women fit more into the available time than men do.
I'm glad the bits didn't cost too much. Look forward to seeing the photo of the bed.

Michelle - you are into exercise with a vengeance. Good for you. Just watch that back and ensure that whatever you do, you are hold the core strong. That's the thing that will support the back with strong muscles.
Have fun with the ziplining. Haven't checked the link yet but will do so in a moment or two. Aah ziplining is what we call a flying fox. They are fun and you will enjoy that, however as a word of caution be extra careful when coming off at the end - whether you land on the ground or on a platform it can be occasionally jarring. So ensure you check with the instructor on the softest landing possible. Hope you found the salad lunch bar.

And that is about it from me. Don't know if I will get in tomorrow or not.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #162  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Michelle
I'm envious. I've been contemplating a zip line experience myself. Do I dare do this at age 63?!!. You are doing great with the exercise. Can't blame you for doing another 50th birthday with people around you.

Mel
I agree with the others. You have to much on your mind right now. Don't put yourself down.

Happy
Hope you have had a fun day blueberry picking. One of these day's I'm going to have to figure out how to make a cd.

Shad
What a cute photo of Sophia! And good for you in keeping up with your exercise while visiting.

Laura
Did you get the headboard attached? Don't think I could walk a busy bridge with all that movement.

-------
Talked myself out of going to the doctor with my stomach this morning. Hadn't had an attack in 2 days but late this afternoon it hit me again so I'm going in the morning. And I had lettuce and tomato salad again so I'm wondering if this combination is doing this.
I meant to mow this afternoon but it was really to hot and after the attack I didn't feel like it.
Yes, I'm going to the uncles this week end. He makes me laugh. He sent me a note reminding me of the luncheon and told me to bring I.D.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #163  

Morning all. Happy Friday!

Ceejay - Sure you can do the zipline! But I hadn't thought about the part Shad mentioned - where you get to the other side and "land". Hopefully there's someone at the other side who makes it more gentle if it tends to be bumpy. I guess I'd have to read about other people's experiences. Re the headboard - we're waiting for the adapter thingy to be delivered and then it should a quick installation. I hope your tummy is feeling better now - wonder if it was that salad? Enjoy the time with your uncles this weekend!!

Shad - Love your avatar and signature photos! "Flying Fox" - I like that name. I think I might like ziplining better than a scary swaying suspension bridge (or as I call it, an Indiana Jones bridge). So you've probably conquered the big hill by your niece's house several times during your trip - great that you got your exercise! Safe travels home.

Michelle - Great job with all the exercise! Those foam "weights" really do give you a good workout - nice that you can do that workout in a nice backyard pool. Your b-day do-over plans sound fabulous - party, zip-lining - so much fun! ...and a complete 180 from last year, as is your current life! What a reason to celebrate! Have a great weekend.

Mel - Hope you get the security pack bought and installed (or whatever you do with it) and are back with us soon. In the meantime, enjoy your weekend. Fingers for no alarms!!

Hellos to Happy & Annie, off enjoying nature's bounty.
==
Being a slacker and skipped Jazzercise last night even though the rain yesterday cooled things down quite a bit. I did get my flight booked for the cruise in February, and also booked it for the friend that I'll be rooming with. Another friend is likely booking the cruise itself this weekend. Now we just have to book a hotel room in our port city (New Orleans) for the one night before our cruise departure and that'll be the end of the biggies. Oh wait, not for me. I have to renew my passport - i printed the application form last night and will complete it this weekend. I'll be glad to get all this transportation stuff done and then focus on the fun parts - researching port excursions, etc.

Last night we ate caprese sandwiches with the big tomatoes from our garden - so tasty on nice crusty tosted french bread with the fresh mozzarella cheese, olive oil, red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar. Yum. I'm definitely looking forward to having another one of those! It's so nice to have really good ripe tomatoes. It's unbelievable the light pink and even white tomatoes that restaurants have the nerve to serve with your food!

My other garden items have finally kicked back into gear and I was happy to see that I have plenty of green beans on my two plants and several chilis on the Fresno plant. And the cherry tomato plant is still going crazy. Love it!

Taking a half-day of vacation today. I'll go to lunch & do some shopping (or go to the Art Institute). Around 3-ish I'll meet my friend D. by Navy Pier to join her on the annual lake cruise hosted by an industry organization to which she belongs. It's a gorgeous day today, so it should be a wonderful time start to the weekend.

That's it for now!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #164  
Choose your hard

Hi ladies,

Quick post for me as I have lots to do before I run off to my shift at the Thrift Shop this afternoon.

Blueberry picking was fun - brought home 7 pounds, some good local honey, a jar of jam and some wonderful butterscotch sauce they had in the shop. Yum on all counts.

Laura - toasted bread - that's what was missing on our caprese salads. But yum oh so good with fresh tomatoes and some good mozzarella cheese and a few leaves of basil from the garden. Your cruise sounds like so much fun - me and my childhood friends are having a milestone birthday next year and I was thinking they might want to rent a cabin up this way for a girls weekend - don't think any of them could afford a cruise although that sounds like the way to really celebrate. Glad your garden is doing well. Enjoy the bounty.

Michelle - love the idea of the do-over birthday! Be careful with the zip line - they have a point with the landing - bent knees!!! I had a pair of webbed type gloves I wore in the pool which did a great job of increased resistance for arm exercises and also helped with the swimming. Had a pair of foam dumbells too. Hope you can get a nice workout routine going for yourself.

Ceejay - hope you are feeling better. Sometimes the acid in the tomatoes - especially the big ones now and the roughage in the lettuce can be hard on the tummy. But who can live a life without tomatoes?

Shad - you changed your avatar!!! Love the pictures of the little cutie. Did you have a nice visit with Chris?

Mel - we will miss you and eagerly await your return

Annie - hope you are enjoying your cabin in the woods and the wonder of nature - minus of course the mosquitoes

Sorry to be so quick -- have a good weekend everyone.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #165  
Creating a Healthier Me

Good morning ladies,

I don't know why, but I am super tired today. I have been tired most days this week, but today is the worst. I even went to sleep around 9 pm. I wonder if it's because I didn't work out yesterday. Instead, I took my car for an oil change, and by the time I was done, I just wanted to get Santa and go home. I am going to do 1/2 hour on the exercise bike today though, actually, 35 minutes...because I checked the exercise calculator, and 30 minutes of biking earns 8 points, while 35 minutes earns 10 points!

Not much planned for this weekend except for helping my friend tomorrow (the guy who is undergoing radiation), and getting together with D tomorrow evening.

============
Laura - I've been meaning to ask you...do you use your extra weekly allowance of points? Do you use your activity points? My leader said she was most successful using the extra weekly points but not her activity points. I've gone over my allotment of daily points nearly every day (so I've been using the weekly points). But I haven't dipped into my activity points yet. Funny you should mention scary swinging suspension bridge...I think my ziplining adventure includes crossing two of those! Thanks for all the kind words about my current life being a complete 180 from what it was last year. You are so right! I'm happy, light-hearted, optimistic, enthusiastic...and focusing on me. Your cruise in February sounds WONDERFUL! Is it just a girls' trip then? Your bf isn't going with you? Have a wonderful afternoon off, whatever you choose to do!

Shad - I love the photos of Princess S as your avatar and signature!! Yes, I have gotten back into exercise, but I'm only doing what my back allows and definitely engaging my core muscles as I do the exercise so that I protect my back. Thanks for the warning about the ziplining (flying fox) landings at the platform. I will be extra cautious of my back, and ask the instructors the softest way to land. Bummer that the visit wasn't what you went there for, but glad you're enjoying the time as best as you can...and fitting in exercise on that huge hill!! Well done!

Ceejay - If you want to try Ziplining, I would call a place or go online and ask around. I would think that it should be fine for people in their 60s. Heck, people in their 60s mountain climb, skydive, snow ski, etc., and ziplining has much less risk involved. Heck, I'm doing Ziplining, and I have trouble walking for more than 5 minutes..so you most certainly can do it. So sorry to hear about your stomach issues. If I eat too many tomatoes (or too much citrus), I can have stomach issues. Or if I eat acidey food in the evening, it messes with my acid reflux. Good luck at the doctor appt, and have a nice time with the uncles.

Mel - I hope you're just away due to computer security issues and not that you're overdoing it.

Happy - Glad you had fun blueberry picking. I hope your shift at the Thrift Shop goes well. Thanks for the tip about the webbed gloves.

Much love and many hugs,