Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 04:21 PM   #16  

Can you hear me screaming!!!!!????? Remember that park last year that I put a bunch of time into and we got the neighborhood to volunteer to put it all in (huge park!!). Some obviously ignorant and annoying teens torched it last night!!!!!!!!!!! I am just so mad and if they find out who did it then I think they should spend the whole summer building parks for the company that made ours - no pay just a lot of horrible labor!

Anyhow my goals were shot and it is now 3pm. I did not munch yesterday and besides a tiny bowl of Chex Mix - I have been behaved instead of stress eating. My one indulgence was no exercise and I just sat on the deck during nap reading a magazine and soaking up the sun. I just needed it. I will not watch my tv shows when I come home from soccer practice and then a game but I will exercise both cardio and strength train. That is a big goal for me because normally I would just say screw it

I am thinking of all you guys but need to catch up - all the neighborhood has been in an uproar which totally threw me off schedule!

Steph
Old 05-16-2003, 08:59 AM   #17  

Yesterday and the day before I was good and no munching so I followed my goal for two days

I am much calmer today and am looking forward to a weekend of nice weather. I usually take Fri. and Sat. off from actual exercise but I do take the dog for a walk both days and get out and ride my bike with the boys if the weather is nice. I also feel guilty every Fri. & Sat. so that is what one of my goals is.....

1) Enjoy the lack of structured exercise because your body needs the rest - no guilt!
2) It's Friday and we will be up late watching the game so WATCH but no munching!!!!
3) Get the laundry and a few other big chores done during the day so I can enjoy a lot of outside time this weekend.

So I was inspired by your interval training Absmom I actually got on the treadmill and did walk/run at a much faster pace than I ever have before. I did not think I was capable of running that fast but I guess my body has changed over the years because I did not die

Juno - I am usually just really good about eating the fruits and veggies raw vs. having time to cook them. Especially because of daycare we have a lot of it around and I am getting better at having it done ahead of time so there is no struggling with finding food.

Our park made the Minneapolis news stations and one gave us like a 4 minute spot. I am sure the brat won't be caught but we are getting the park rebuilt anyhow - with lights in the park

I have a lot to get done because A has a school program in the afternoon plus we have to hike the long way to the other park. Happy Friday everyone!

Last edited by SAB 5%; 05-16-2003 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:06 AM   #18  

Hi everyone!

So sorry to hear about your park Steph. What makes kids want to vandalize and destroy what others have worked so hard for is just beyond me. Your anger is totally justified. I hope that restitution is in order when they catch who is responsible. Glad that you've managed to keep on track and not let your feelings sabatoge the good you are doing for your self.

Yesterday turned out to be a great day. I ate low cal (1200), ran like a madwoman (more on that later) and managed to get all the laundry done (I don't know why having the basket empty gives me such peace). In any case, my baby's cold is making me consider skipping the gym today -- I don't want to gross out the other mothers with an uncontrolable nose. That said I intend to ride my bike when DH comes home and my mom is also coming tonight for a walk (our weekly 2.5 mile trek at the vet school up the street). I'll get in my exercise regardless.

As for yesterday... I don't know why I let people get to me, but one woman at the gym turns me into a jr. high teenager... She overheard me talking to another woman about tri-training last week and now asks me about it every time I see her. She's very petite, and in shape and I know her curiousity is not out of any interest in me, but to doubt and to mock. When I lift weights she tries to correct my form, and yesterday as I got on the tread she moved herself (I saw her see me and do this) to the one right beside me. I had my headphones on and pretended not to see her and ran like I never have before. I did 3.3 miles on a 2 incline in 38 minutes. (That's 3 minutes of my last best time!!) Oh, my knees are sore....

3 goals for today - since DD is up from nap - 1. Get my exercise in... 2. tackle my house to do list, 3. FITDAY FITDAY FITDAY

HAPPY Sunny weekends to you all!!
Absmom
Old 05-19-2003, 04:31 AM   #19  

Whoa! Sorry I dropped off the face of the earth there for a minute. There are two weeks more of maternity leave coverage, so sometimes things will be just too much to post, alas.

Abs - Are you sure the fit lady at the club is out to cut you down? Is it impossible that she is being actually friendly? I say that because so many people into fitness really like to be encouraging and there is that gym friendly exchange thing that happens (I have people who seem like "friends" at the club, but I really don't know them out of the club...) That said, sometimes people can really act strange and be hurtful. Just keep your great focus going, you are there for yourself, anyway!

Steph - I am absolutely speechless at what happened to your park. How completely senseless. I hope your community has rallied and I hope they catch the perps. If they were teens that is sooo sad. Hope Daddykins takes away the car 16th birthday gift and no spring break trip to Mexico.

Work kicked in and I reached that catatonic state of overload on Thursday. I finally felt recovered, more or less, this morning. The week has started. I'll be okay until about Wednesday, then I'll be chained to the puter until Friday afternoon. It isn't fun but the $ is really needed at this time so I'm not complaining.

I took the Saturday class I like, it's called Butt'n'Up and there was a sub. The stuff she did seemed simpler, but boy oh boy I'm sore! Just a reminder to diversify more. I think I could be very happy at my current weight if I could tone up the butt-sides, do you know what I mean? I need to design a killer workout for those.

Tomorrow:

Cardio at gym
Low cal day
Make Juno soup

I'm already overwhelmed just thinking about it, but we'll see how I do.

Juno
Old 05-19-2003, 08:51 AM   #20  

Juno - I sympathize on the busy season as mine will just begin in 3 weeks when school gets out and then I have a baby boy joining his sibling here the beg. of Aug and another one that will be here this fall. I have a lot of vacation this summer to mentally prepare myself. Remember to take care of yourself even though it seems so hard!!

Absmom - Well I agree that MAYBE she is trying to be friendly but I think in our gut we know when people are being snide or trying to be "better" than us. However maybe she is just lonely and has no one else to share her fitness journey with! None of my friends exercise so I might be trying to find healthy people to discuss my fitness with!

My goals today:
1) Eat mainly F&V during the day.
2) Today have a relaxing nap but then I must exercise after the kids soccer tonight (I'm prepping for summer when I can't do it during nap!)
3) Look through the fridge and see what "good choices" are left for dinner

This week is the last week of the Self Challenge. I did great and lost weight for the first time in a few years on it. Plus I am on a fitness challenge for daycare providers too which is inspiring me. I have had good weeks but this week I am going to try for optimal points!!!

A friend of mine told me the other day that I was going to blow away in the wind these days (I would have kissed her ) but I just said that I am sure that won't happen and my goal isn't thin but to be healthy and live long. She laughed and said "yeah I know you want to be on the Today Show at 100 ". I'm working on it!

Steph
Old 05-19-2003, 02:38 PM   #21  

Hi All!

Lets just say that the gym girl is not going to be my friend. I guess the hardest thing is I don't know why I let her get to me. Like I said, I feel like I'm back in Jr. High. Why at 37 I should be so insecure is beyond me... Nuff said.

I checked out a website for beginner triathletes. According to their 10 week schedule I am better than right on track. That makes me feel pretty good, although I must admit that I'm starting to get a little nervous about this... My sisters and I are going to work out together this weekend (a brick - bike and run) so I guess I'll have a better picture of where I stand by then.

Lost just a pound this week... That's 4 sticks of butter, right?.. I have so much to lose, its so hard to be happy sometimes with just baby steps... I just have to keep telling myself that I moving in the right direction no matter how slow.

Juno - I wish I could send you a few hours in the mail. You sound like 24 in a day is just not cutting it. As busy as you are, I'm glad to see that you include and value the time you take for yourself. It is SO important....

Steph - You totally inspire me... How you can take care of kids all day and not collapse into a heap before night fall is beyond me. Fitting in exercise whereever and whenever you can takes major committment on your part. You should be proud of your accomplishments. Congrats on your successful SELF Challenge!thought about it back in March, but could never get it together.

Three things today -
Run - Did that --- 2.4 miles, though at a pretty moderate/slow pace
FITDAY FITDAY FITDAY
Portion control. "Good for you" doesn't entitle me to eat more than I need to...

Happy Monday all!!

Absmom
Old 05-20-2003, 05:03 AM   #22  

Okay, I’m writing this in word and will paste it in – Just lost a post. Will make this fast.

Made the soup, cals were low, but did not make it to the club – budget cut crises at the school, phone calls, emails and a site council meeting to raise the BP a bit.

Tomorrow the plan is body pump, some cardio there, and then I will probably be a typing droid until Friday afternoon. My posts will be sparse or not at all, but send me the energy! This week and next will be the worst – and then Carrie will be back and it will be just my normal workload for a while.

Abs if she is indeed insincere, do not give her another thought. Give her a killer smile (Barbie sorority) once in a while but just keep your distance. Just the planning alone in your events just amaze me. I feel I have participated in a multi-event sport just to get through a day!

Steph I hope you are charging the big bucks for your daycare. They get the very best and you are so stable! Did they catch the park vandals yet?

Tomorrow –

Eat the soup
Body pump and some cardio
Water water water

Sorry this is short – I’m off to bed – sleep is good!

Juno
Old 05-20-2003, 11:35 AM   #23  

I hope everyone reaches their goals today. I woke up this morning and was hoping it was the weekend and was terribly bummed when I realized it was only Tuesday and I had many more days. I usually don't have that confusion in the morning.

I exercised at nap yesterday and probably will the rest of the week. I look at the night schedule and realize that will cut more into my life than me begging the daycare kids to behave and spying on them through the monitor.

Todays goals:
1) I am getting sucked back into the white carbs this week so I need to be strict today.
2) Really intense workout today which will be fast and furious cardio with leg & back strength training.
3) Make rice with chicken broth for dinner so I don't put butter on it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absmom - There are just some people out there like the gym women who definately are trying to make life miserable for others. I was laughing out loud to myself yesterday when I came across a magazine article yesterday "Women Who Make You Still Feel Like Junior High". Just a funny short article that stereotypes women

Juno - I hope you got some rest last night. Is your sleep schedule better now? I remember back in the early days that you stayed up really late and had to get up to get the girls off to school - were you able to change that around?
P.S. There is only one child here that I should charge big bucks for because she is more work than all 5 others combined!! She is going to be my reason for retirement in two years.

One of the kids said the caught the park vandals but I didn't hear it from a reliable source. I did hear it won't be rebuilt until next year. That stinks!

Hope everyone has a good Tuesday!

Steph
Old 05-20-2003, 09:26 PM   #24  

Happy Tuesday night... Trying to avoid the TV, yet not quite ready to get into a book...

Today was my weight train day, but instead of my regular circuit, I tried a body pump class... OUCH! I didn't feel like I was that taxed during the class, but man am I sore now! I see why you like it so much Juno! I think I'll make it my Tuesday session from now on...

Didn't do too bad in the food area today. Dinner was a salad and baked potato at Wendys with my DH. Date night on a budget is what we call it. Mom came over to see the kids and offered to put them to bed. Can't pass that up!

I've decided to stop looking at the scale for a few weeks. The numjbers aren't moving and I'm just getting crazy. My plan for tomorrow is to 1. try and cut out white carbs, 2. drink more water and 3. be more diligent about portion size. I am going to try not to step on the scale again until Jun 1. Maybe I'll even just make it a monthly thing... who knows.

Sending strong vibes your way for healthy stress free Wednesdays!

Ciao!
Absmom
Old 05-21-2003, 05:15 AM   #25  

Quick on the way to bed: Same schedule Steph. Can't find a better gig! Girls are older and more self sufficient, so in most ways it is better. Summer drive me crazy though.

Abs we were body pumping in a parallel universe - that is SO fun! It is really effective. I am combining with other weight stuff so I get the variety. It is a very effective class. Also, once you get in the groove, your brain can 'check out' - sometimes when I am distracted the class just sails by and I can hardly believe I just did a workout - it's like alpha brain waves or something?

I know we need a new thread, but I'm immobile until Friday...

Did my 3, except no cardio.

Tomorrow:

eat the soup
water water water
do 100 crunches

That should be easy enough! Guess I'm aiming for the fencepost hehe!

Juno
Old 05-21-2003, 01:11 PM   #26  

The day is slipping away from me so a short note from me

Goals:
1) Do a bunch of daycare errands since I only have 2+ mine
2) If I am late getting home, buy the kids BK and not myself (I did that so be proud of me!!!!!!
3) Exercise even though I am trying to talk myself out of it right now because I have a tiny headache and a list in front of me. No free time tonight so I have no excuse if I want my Fri/Sat off !

Absmom - I only look at the scale once a month and it helps because I don't feel discouraged because sometimes the numbers are up and my body feels great!

Juno - I'm sending some extra energy vibes to get your through this workload!

My best friend had her baby this a.m., my great uncle died yesterday which makes me sad because those cousins were my buddies as a kid and now both of their parents are gone (makes me feel not so invincible!). He was in his 70's but for some reason I still thank that is young!!!! My husband tells me I have unrealistic age expectations for people. Oh well - that's just the way I like to think.

Cheers and good health to you all!

Steph
Old 05-22-2003, 05:53 AM   #27  

Steph I'm sorry about your uncle. Did I already post this? Oprah says "50 is the new 30?" or did I first hear it here! That feels true to me but of course it could be my perspective!

It's 2:00 am and I am really tired.

Yes I hit the floor and did 100 crunches before I posted, so I could be a success. Really, I sat on my buttocks at the computer all day long - working not surfing.

Tomorrow: Same list.

Manana--

Juno
Old 05-22-2003, 11:29 AM   #28  

Hi. I look at my parents and I agree that 50 is 30 nowadays but my husband still thinks your very lucky if you live until 70 which I have great plans to extend (please don't strike me down as I type!!)

Yesterday was pretty hectic but we went out for dinner in a relaxing way. The we rushed around and got our shopping done. I ate nothing healthy at dinner but it was good I needed a guilt free crap meal! The funny thing is since we both eat so much healthier we both were having stomach fun later on in the evening.

I think my husband was quite happy that someone came up to him at work the other day and asked him if he lost weight (he is very tall and big huge shoulders so he doesn't look overweight) but there is a noticeable difference in that he doesn't have that puffy look to him anymore. He just looks healthier. Hopefully that will keep him on the right track.

My goals for today are the following:
1) More water intake. I was drinking 5 24oz. bottles a day and cut that back to 3 maybe 3 1/2 and it really shows - my middle gets bloated without all that extra water!
2) Feel positive during exercise and be proud that you are doing it
3) Plan out some food for the weekend so we don't resort to so much junk over the long weekend. Weekends are a big health problem with food.

Today has been pretty good so far and the kids are all in good moods. The kids have a calendar up counting down the school days but I'm grimacing each morning as they are rejoicing! Actually I have quite a bit of time off and missing kids so summer should be very smooth but I like complaining anyhow.

Absmom - I am thrilled at your progress for the upcoming event. I like reaching milestones and I think being ahead is even better. I am giving you a standing ovation from afar

Juno - You've almost made it - may the force be with you!!! I hope you have a lot of relaxing plans or no plans.

Okay I have stuff I should be doing here.

Hasta manana,

Steph

Last edited by SAB 5%; 05-22-2003 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:50 PM   #29  

Hi all!

Steph = Sorry about your uncle. Every year I get older -- "old" seems to keep getting older as well. I remember my Grampa turning 55 and thinking that he had one foot in the grave... Now my mom is 60 and I think its hysterical that she can get "old age" discounts -- she looks 50, maybe...

Good to have a guilt free date night once in a while ... Keeps you grounded. Kudos to your DH.. Mine could use a few pointers and he's not listening to me right now...

Juno= hang on!!! Can't be much longer and then you'll be back to your old self... Crunches mean you're doing something for YOU - even if you ankle is chained to your desk! I'll be sending some sleep vibes your way...

Trained pretty hard today 3.3 miles --- jogged straight for 2.2 and intervals for the rest. My ultimate goal is to finish the 5 K in less than 40. Guess I have my work cut out for me.

I talked to my older sister today. She's 39, no kids and very type A. She's all set to do a practice Tri at the end of June (the real thing is July 27). She scares me... Maybe that's why I am trying so hard... At least she's positive and as much as it will kill her competitive spirit, she's sticking with me and our other sister (33) for the whole race. We'll finish TOGETHER.

And now DD#2 is screaming... So much for a long afternoon nap. My 3 things have almost been accomplished: 1. Fitday (low-cal day), 2. RUN RUN RUN (done) 3. Stretch... I feel so sore - Spin, Body Pump, I am hoping some good long stretches will ease the pain....

Tomorrow - more of the same. Supposed to be an "off day" for me but the holiday means the gym will be closed on Monday so I have to change things around.

1. SWIM (Do a timed swim, race distance and see where I stand)
2. FITDAY (Med cal day)
3. Take a long long long bath. I really need some me time without distraction.

Happy almost long weekend!!
Absmom
Old 05-23-2003, 05:31 AM   #30  

Go, Abs - Your training is utterly amazing to me. I await each day's installment. Will we be able to track you online during the event?

Steph those were some great goals - I may need to borrow some of them sometime.

I made mine - lucky for me I made them sort of minimal.

Another crazy day. Tomorrow is Friday, with a 3-day weekend.

Majorly off topic, but can someone help me understand something? You-all remember I don't have a television, so sometimes out of the loop a little bit. Can someone explain to me why the Osbourne children are such media darlings? Ozzy I can understand, he is a rock legend, if a poster child for don't do drugs. The mom seems spunky and is a beauty at 50 I mean 30 and is a cancer survivor. But the daughter is fawned on for her fashion sense (looks like a middle schooler with a BIG allowance) and today I saw a picture of the son in people magazine - looking very piggy, with two playboy babes fawning on him like he was 007. What is up with that? Are they really funny or witty or something? Or is the emporer stark raving naked? They both look piggy and vaguely sneery to me. Help me understand.

That's it!

Juno
Closed Thread