3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   The 2013 Palace: Nurturing our royal selves (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/273754-2013-palace-nurturing-our-royal-selves.html)

Amarantha2 01-31-2013 07:45 AM

Wildfire, so glad your DD is okay except for whiplash. Hope that is better very soon and her car gets repaired quickly.

Am2 (just me lol) is on Day 9 of the calorie level 21-dayer and will update the numbers on Sunday.

Did get the 10,000 steps in yesterday and circuit training this morning, fully intend to lie around and do nothing today except go for walks. In a mode of just waiting for today to be over so I'll know how to schedule the coming month lol.

Touchy digestion is probably NOT the result of the flu, which I have decided I didn't have, something more minor and stress related was probably afoot except for the first day I didn't feel well.

I am NOT doing well in the cold weather, though. We are in the 30s & 40s, beautiful sunny weather, rain all gone (we like rain in the desert, though, except I personally don't, but we need it), just too cold. I honestly don't function well or feel well when it is that cold, realizing that it is colder in other places and they laugh at what I call cold lol.

Going to sit at the computer and play free cell until time to walk.

Arabella 01-31-2013 07:57 AM

Still at it, yup. I ended up at 9254 steps yesterday. I haven't been getting upset over missing my targets because I'm still on track. Eating smaller portions, making better choices. For example, I usually keep low-salt roasted peanuts in the house for high-protein snacks when I'm hungry. But it has come to my attention that I eat many more of them than I do of the raw nuts that I also keep in the house. When I'm hungry, I eat a handful of raw nuts and that'll do it. The peanuts, on the other hand, I usually eat two or three handsful, at least. And will often go through a bag (about 2 cups worth) in a week. One can see how those calories would add up. So. Just not buying them anymore.

Wildfire, I'm glad DD is all right!

Amarantha, we simulposted! I think those major temperature swings are very hard on us humans. Our temp here right now is actually 47 F. Extremely windy, though, so probably won't be experienced as balmy (admit it would, though, if it were lovely and sunny).

K, this is the dreaded last day of the month. I may be working into the wee hours so I should get at it.

Let's make this a good one!

lunarsongbird 01-31-2013 10:08 PM

:: peeks in :: I'd love to know more about this Palace and it's history. Looks like the royals have been together for awhile. I'm intrigued by a place where "Huzzahs" abound and guests are aware of the changing of the seasons.

I'm not sure if I'm royal. I suppose I haven't decided. ;) With much glee, I realized this morning I will have to acquire a new renaissance festival outfit for the summer, as my previous one will be too large. Perhaps I will find myself as a royal.

Arabella 02-01-2013 07:26 AM

Good morning, Queenlies! Day 1 again here in this corner of the Palace. Never a crash and burn, just didn't do yoga. Today deadlines are over and the clouds have rolled away. I intend to get to hot yoga. :yes:

I walked around the harbour just before sunrise. Beautiful, but almost too cold to be able to appreciate it. I've got a pot of soup on and am about to hop in the shower and then go do the shopping.
:snowglo:
Welcome lunarsongbird! I fully expect that you're royal, whether or not you decide to hang in the palace. Yes, we go back a long way here. We wander a bit sometimes and then return, but our association goes back far.

Are you a singer? I am too -- choral music.

Huzzah to all! Let's make this a good one! :cb:

Amarantha2 02-01-2013 12:02 PM

Huzzah and welcome to lunarsongbird! ITA that you must be royal and totally love your user name, whether or not you decide to return to the palace, but I hope you do! Woot! Yea, this group goes back a long way.

I am not, I fear, a singer, although I'd like to be. Lol, I sing a lot around the house but would not venture to do so anywhere else.

Arabella, yay on deadlines rolling away. Enjoy the yoga.

I am on Day 10, having a lot of fun with the calorie challenge. Will post the numbers on Sunday.

Waiting today on some news.

Going to bank and grocery now. Have given dog her monthly meds, all is well.

Hoping to nap today.

'Bout covers it!

Arabella 02-02-2013 08:16 AM

Day 2 in the Saturday Palace

I have to say, the whole last week was a triumph for me, in terms of looking after myself and seeing my own needs are met. I seem to have found a way to stay calm with the end-of-month deadlines, instead of experiencing them as a catastrophe. I had to work more than I like but I did take time to rest. Now, in the old days I would not have given myself permission to stop, just sit on the couch with a cup of tea and watch TV or just gaze out the window. No, I would have pushed myself to continue until I found myself robotically marching into the kitchen -- or even making a trip to the store -- to find something to eat. And I would take at least as much time, probably more, getting food items and eating them. I wasn't doing it purposefully, wasn't intending to do it. But it happened, time and time again. Not this past week. :cb: :cb:

I was scheduled to travel with DH next week but am still not fully recovered from what I think is walking pneumonia, so I told him that I need to stay home instead and just look after myself. That's a big deal for me. I feel like I've been pushing myself more than normally since early December just to do things I "have to" do. To step back and actually think of my own needs first is a breakthrough. I felt better almost immediately -- still very tired but also hopeful.

This is deeply integrated with the weight issues of course but also with life issues. I wrote a little about it a while back, in terms of exploring "A Course in Weight Loss." It's not like I didn't know I had problems not looking after myself properly but wasn't fully understanding all the consequences, the way it affects every bit of my life, saps me.

So, this past week, in the midst of big challenges, I made progress not just in understanding but actually in moving forward. And I feel life begin again.

Amarantha, yoga was good yesterday although not undemanding. I won't go today but will try to sneak in a few poses here and there. I bet you can sing. I was one of those kids told to just lipsynch in music class but am discovering my voice. I remember hearing a vocal teacher on the CBC saying that everyone can sing, which I found heartening. Did you get your news? And did it go as you hoped? I hope so!

I've got a cake to bake for SIL's birthday party this evening, a gift to purchase. O/w, 'tis Saturday and I intend to relax and enjoy myself. Have a blissful weekend, Queenlies! :wave:

Amarantha2 02-02-2013 08:12 PM

I used to work like that, Arabella. Sit there and write, not allowing self to take breaks to just sit and look at the mountains or take a walk, and this stress fest was sometimes broken up by mindlessly walking into the kitchen and putting food in mouth and taking some back to the desk to put in mouth whilst writing.

I don't do that now either and never intend to follow that pattern again. It isn't a matter of weight gain or loss, it is a matter of how I feel. I don't feel well when I just stuff whatever in body whilst working with no mindful, happy breaks.

I also am taking better care of self these days.

Anyhow, here are my numbers for the 21-day challenge, decided to not wait until Sunday as I'm done eating for today.

21-Day Challenge, 1900 Calories or Less
Day 1: 1890
Day 2: 1610
Day 3: 1525
Day 4: 1490
Day 5: 1785
Day 6: 1875
Day 7: 1760
Day 8: 1685
Day 9: 1470
Day 10: 1845
Day 11: TBD

Amarantha2 02-03-2013 10:28 AM

Woot! Gained a pound but still happy with the weigh-in as had an extra excellent one last week so still am at a loss for the past two weeks! Like my weight where it is and will be happy when I get to exactly where I am going for the health factor but nobody said t'will be quick lol. So guess I can say, "Everything's going my WEIGH! YAY!"

My weight loss efforts and successes do improve my mood and are important to me but do not depend on one weigh-in up or down, it is the big picture that matters to me. But it DOES matter to me.

Huzzah and may the day be blessed for all royals, near & far!

Arabella 02-04-2013 08:29 AM

Day 1

Snow day here today, not for me but schools and many work places are closed. DH didn't have to travel this morning, so will only have to be away for 3 nights this week, which is a break for him.
:snowglo:
'Tis a winter wonderland out there, the temperature just around the freezing mark, so the snow is clinging to all the branches. Very pretty. I think I'll walk DH back to work after lunch and around the harbour. Settling in for a comfy and un-harried morning's work, planning to do some yoga or qi qong scattered throughout.

I've been a bit short of my steps and haven't done yoga or sub Sat. or Sun. Will do it today!

Amarantha, you're so right -- even when weight is no longer an issue, the work-and-overeating-related zombification is not a healthy or nurturing mode. It's heartening for me to know you know what that is like. Really, it feels awful other than the brief moments of relief. And then, for me, the horrible stress about being "out of control." Who needs it!

Taking breaks when I should, without involving food, is an important part of retraining my behaviour. And, anyway, I firmly believe that I'm more efficient and produce better work when I take lots of breaks. :yes:

That said, I should have some breakfast and then do some work. Let's make this a good one!

Amarantha2 02-04-2013 10:00 AM

That's just it in a nutshell, Royal Wood Nymph! Taking breaks without involving food.

I've been short on steps, overtrained and just generally not so great for some days and though not working (I wish I were working lol) I was starting to stuff food in mouth & lie on the sofa a lot. Today's assignment is to go to Sprout's but it was so nice out, although gloomy looking and not sunny, that I started walking the neighborhood with the aim of not going anywhere in the car until I had a good base of 3,000 steps, so I walked a bit, which these days involves more pain and effort than it used to lol, which is WHY I am still wanting some weight off the knees, though knowing I am at a good weight already.

I just wandered the neighborhood to the 3,000 and now realize that since it is Monday and still a deadline day in my little imaginary physic self even though I do NOT have any contracts or employment going on (haven't worked for months). But the steps were a stand in for shoving food in mouth and I am no longer needing to do that and mess up my digestion & gain five pounds on the knees and get all unfocused from life and work (if I ever get some lol).

So yes, the step program has been the best exercise streak I've ever done. As guess I've said, I am still doing weights and aerobics, and yoga, but the steps bind my day together in a different way than when I used to just say, I'll walk an hour or jog an hour (jogging forbidden now by all medical parameters having to do with knees lol).

So, the long and the short of this long missive is I DO intend to get in the 70,000 weekly steps (even if I bonk a day and do less than the 10,000, I'm really logged into Fitbit to do 70,000 per week.

The extra calorie burning trainer program I paid for from Fitbit I have abandoned as having that extra goal was too stressful. The primary goal is the steps, plus I want to do my usual weights (going lighter each year) & other stuff.

Lol, done talking for now. Love to all royals near and far, including all lurkers, casual visitors, posters and whoever graces us with their presence in this palace in any way and sure and begorra I'm thinking of St. Paddy's Day and my March personal challenge that will commence following February 10, which is my personal Valentine's Day.

Woot! :wave:

Amarantha2 02-04-2013 08:59 PM

Here's a little update on my 21-day challenge as the eating day has closed and I am going to bed and watching Biggest Loser (exciting life). I've almost aced two of the three weeks and really am enjoying this challenge, will possibly repeat it.

Except for a stint on another website years ago, I've never posted my exact calorie counts online, though I've done my share (maybe more than my share) of diet forums, for better or worse. But I've found that calorie counts can be TMI sometimes as people have all different ideas of what other people should be eating and how much. However, I've enjoyed doing this challenge and am posting it in a few places and moving on to the third week. Might even do another 21 days after I finish this one, maybe add a new rule to the mix as well.

Eating day finished, going to watch Biggest Loser and call it a night (such an exciting life I lead lol)!

21-Day Challenge, 1900 Calories or Less
Day 1: 1890
Day 2: 1610
Day 3: 1525
Day 4: 1490
Day 5: 1785
Day 6: 1875
Day 7: 1760
Day 8: 1685
Day 9: 1470
Day 10: 1680
Day 11: 1845
Day 12: 1495
Day 13: 1870
Day 14: TBD

Amarantha2 02-05-2013 02:26 AM

Lol, well, the challenge ended at 10 minutes to midnight with a sort of binge, reached 2655 BY midnight. Not sure what that was about. Decided not to continue the 21-dayer, though.

I think tonight's binge was less a result of the 21-day challenge and what I need in the in/out cycle than it was as I have been questioning recently WHY I am bothering about weight at all. WHO am I doing it for since I personally don't feel motivated at all so I'm not doing it for me. WHAT in my life would change if I stopped being an avid weight management person and just let nature take its course and gain back 100 pounds or so, which would be the invariable result?

Lol, not asking anyone to answer that question.

Arabella 02-05-2013 06:19 AM

Can't help but answer though: You'd be miserable if that happened, Am.

I ended up not walking in the storm yesterday. I didn't really decide not to, but all day just kept not getting out there until day was done and I hadn't gone. The funny thing is the way I feel, almost the same as when I'm stagnating instead of mostly meeting goals. Also wasn't productive at work, which probably adds to that feeling.

I think I'm going to simplify my goal to just eating only at the table when alone, eating when hungry and not o/w. I'll still aim for 10,000 steps and yoga every day anyway, it just won't be part of the challenge.

Aaaaaaaanyway, I think I'll go get some work done that I intended to do yesterday. Let's take this day and do our level best with it.

Amarantha2 02-05-2013 09:19 AM

Thanks, Arabella, I think you are right that I'd be miserable if I gained 100 or so pounds again.

So the game is afoot & my queenly quest continues.

Good idea on the simplification. I am frankly relieved to be done with the complexity of the multiple challenge. My weight goal this week is just to lose some or maintain. Then I will be in St. Patrick's Day mode & will do some personal holiday challenge.

I did weights & 2000 of the steps today. Still awaiting news on business & contract matters, might as well refocus on getting the eating right.

Trader Joe's, which I rarely bother driving to these days may be in order.

Ta da!

Arabella 02-06-2013 08:19 AM

Day 2 it is. The simplification was a good call. I spent 45 minutes shoveling and cleaning off my car yesterday and ended up not walking at all. It was brutally cold and windy. I ended up at something like 5000 steps. The shoveling is good exercise but you never get very many steps out of it.

Cold again today but not windy, which is much easier to deal with. I had DGS for a sleepover last night. We're planning a road trip to see his dad on his March break.

Am, I hate waiting for news! Hope yours comes soon and that it's exactly as you wish.

:wave: Let's make this a good one!