It's a Worldy Chicks Winter Wonderland

You're on Page 17 of 18
Go to
  • Annie
    Reason commune. I'll help you with the cleaning and part of the yard work. I don't blame you for being po'd about some of these stupid ordinances.
    I'm not going to see the new year in either. I also have to work. Some one needs to bop me on the head once in a while. We have black eyed peas and hog jowl on NYD. However I don't like the hog jowl so I substitute with bacon.

Laura
    Yes I did make the soup and a meatloaf. Taco's sound good. I may have that next week. How many of those dvd's did you watch. Are you still sore this morning?

Mel
    Hope it stay's quiet for you this week end.

Shad
    I'm also trying to get things in order for the coming New Year.

-------
    I'm in a mood to pick up the house this week end and lo and behold here comes the girls from down the street. I refused to answer the door and I'm refusing to let myself feel guilty over this. I've told them before that if my car is in the drive way I'm resting. But they'll try anyway.
    Nothing new this week end.
  • Sassy's backyard....too much snow. Tired of shoveling.

• Now it is spitting little ice balls the size of BBs. Of course, now that I have everything all shoveled. I think I am at war with this weather system...lol.

The decorations have been down since Christmas day and need to be put back in the attic til next year. Altho I can say I am still in the Christmas mood regardless of this snowy mess. My yard is soaked like a flood. A muddy wet mess.

Sassy has all her stitches out. Will call the vet on Monday to see if I need to bring her to get the stitches out on Wednesday...haha. The incision looks great almost like it never happened...hmmmm I wonder.

Signing off for now...probably will be back to beeeeaaaachhh! lol
  • Hi ladies,

Sorry I didn't get in here yesterday. Tried a couple of times, DH kept coming on my computer as he was trying to get some books downloaded to my Kindle and he was using my Amazon account to do it. Eventually I walked away and forgot to post.

DH is making meatballs in red sauce for supper. Smells good. Tomorrow is Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscano. I like it when I don't have to do all the cooking. I made a beef vegetable soup but it's more like a stew taste instead of soup. Didn't care for it but there's a ton of it to eat. I put leeks in it. Remind me next time that I DON'T LIKE LEEKS. Talked to Mom yesterday and Sis. Watched some TV. Lazy day for the most part. We did go to a fish fry for dinner last night. It was good. Lightly snowing out there. This morning DH was wondering whose footprints were out on the driveway. He went outside and discovered they were mine from last night. What we can't figure out is why I left footprints and he didn't

Annie - I can totally understand how you feel about the snow. Times like that I seriously wondered how I could come up with a way to burn it with a flame-thrower or something similar Only thing I can say is that living in a place that gets little to no snow (ask Ceejay and Shad) has it's own drawbacks. Namely tornadoes, bad storms and those dad burned bugs that don't die and only grow bigger and more prolific when there's no freeze to kill them off. Which is why there's a termite issue there that we don't have to deal with. Still I'm sure you're thinking nice beach, warm sun and good tan lines are a welcome trade off As for shovelling, I always tried to at least make a path so people could walk. When we lived in the northern Chicago suburbs I lived on the north facing corner lot. Talk about snow and drifts. But I always made sure people had a place to walk - unlike most of my neighbors. I guess I felt this way because I had to walk down the main road home sometimes from the train and I'd cuss out the fancy big houses that could not be bothered to shovel and made my walk home an especially trecherous one. I think there is a rule in Chicago too that if people don't shovel the stairs to their mailbox (which is located on the house instead of streetside) - the mailman does not have to deliver their mail. I am totally with you though on the hard packed crap that the snow plows leave at your driveway. That's what you need the flamethrower for. When we lived on the corner we'd have to clean out the street all the time because they'd block the sewer grate and the water and ice would build up and make a complete mess. Life is MUCH better with a snow plow on an ATV and here you can mostly clean the cement with a broom - it's so dry, light and fluffy. So snow will not be the same problem at the commune Sounds like you really need a warm spot vacation right now. Save your money all year and take you and C away for week next January. Sorry that your New Year's plans have gone bust. I would think poor C would at least have the day off. Guess it will be you and Lil Man singing Auld Lang Syne. And he probably doesn't even have any acquantances to "be forgot" at this point in his young life

Ceejay - sorry to hear the girls are back to pestering you again. Good for you for not answering the door. Maybe they will get the message. Geez didn't you have to work Christmas and now you have to work New Year's too? That stinks. Also not really fair that the mayor gives the power people time off only to shift the responsibility for the phones to your team. If you were good at piano, maybe you should consider gifting yourself with one of those electronic keyboards. I don't think they are too expensive and playing music is very good for exercising the brain (and fingers). Then you can play the dinner music at the commune when we are all dining See - I'm finding everyone jobs

Mel - sorry you didn't get any snow. The skies seem to be stingy with the wet stuff this year. Although we are white, we don't have anywhere near what we should either. Ouch on the sprained finger. Did you wear it out making gestures at the firemen? Come hither, Mellie could use some help Hope you can give it some rest from dialing all the on call people.

Shad - I agree - doesn't 2013 sound way in the future??? Hopefully your next pass in Darwin will be better than the quarter you just finished. I know you've worked hard but what a nice feeling it must be to have everything all nice and tidy at the house. I still have boxes and papers and things to pick up. Sounds like you are ready to get started on the New Year. I thought you were going to visit Sophia and DS before you had to return to work. Not much time left between now and Tuesday. We used to pay big bucks for termite treatment too down south. Then when we were getting ready to put the house up for sale, the inspector found some minor damage in the garage where they had done a sloppy job of spraying. So the termite company had to pay to have it repaired. We also removed the railroad ties the previous owners had used for garden decorations. One chap recommended that we not use wood mulch in the yard either because of the termites. Little buggers! But as you say, annoying as the cost is, better than have your house crumble around you as I guess they are pretty good at reproducing when they have a good food supply.

Laura - sounds like you have a great deal of partying and socializing to wrap up the holidays. I'm in the market for a different kind of bread to make besides my go to egg bread recipe. I'm thinking something Italian with herbs and cheeses sounds good. Feel free to share if you have any good recipes. Thanks for posting about Michelle - good to hear she is having a good time with her family - she could use some fun times after the stress of the last couple of months. I just looked up the book Room on Amazon. Looks interesting, will be curious to know what you think of it. Thanks for the tip on the sour cream. I just bought a cheap squeeze bottle to put shrimp sauce in. They have the most wonderful crab dip over the holidays at the grocery store and it's divine on a Ritz Cracker with just a dot of shrimp sauce.

Ellen - hope you got something for those sinus headaches. They can be brutal and regular pain relievers do nothing for them. I was sad that my go-to over the counter sinus meds got taken off the market because the hop head meth makers were using them as a key ingredient in their nasty stuff.

We don't have anything planned for New Year's Eve. Haven't gone out in probably 20 years. Just don't want to contend with the drunks on the roads so if we did go somewhere we'd more than likely get a room too. Just costs so much to go out NYE. We usually have a plate of nibbles on the Eve. Told DH I'm thinking of steak bites - nicely season pan fried steak cut into bite size chunks with a mustard dipping sauce, some cold shrimp and cocktail sauce - maybe some cheese cubes and fruit depending on what the store has. Guess tomorrow being Sunday I should be thinking about what I need to pick up. Maybe I shouldn't have told DH we don't need to go out when he suggested running to the store today. He came over and let me taste a meat ball. Yum they are good. Will be even better sitting in sauce in the crockpot for a couple of hours. Meat ball sandwiches for supper tonight. Got enough submarine type buns and meatballs for all to share.

And with that, I need to get off the computer and get something useful done.
  • Poor Annie - you sure are getting a weather mess! Love the avatar of Sassy. She looks comfy even if you are not. Hopefully you can stay in and get some cuddle time with your family. Forget about the snow, mud and wet for a while...

I don't even want to think about taking the Christmas decorations down. DH says they can stay up until New Year's Day but then they need to get put away. I'm really liking the lighted garland on the stairs. It lights up the stairs nicely. Safety feature Gotta figure out a way to keep it. I hate how the house always looks so blah after everything gets put away. That's when bleak winter hits me.

Ok, just wanted a quick post after I noticed Annie on. Now I am getting off. For good. Ok.
  • Will be back for personals about lunch time since it is just nice and cool at the moment so gardening shouldn't be a sweat shop as it would have been yesterday. It may also rain later since we now have a cloud cover, better get out there asap.

Happy - did go and see DS1 and sproglet as I will explain later. Just not for Christmas.
    See picture.

• Shad~what a beautiful Pic. the baby has gotten so big already!

Ok, ladies, I am so out of it, with the headache yesterday I went back to bed after I dropped off the girl's friend and slept until after 12p then after work i came home and practially went right back to bed. Had a fitful night tho, felt like I would sleep for 5 mins then wake up and toss and turn. Hoping to get a little more sleep tonight. For my sinus issues I have been taking generic Claritin D, yes have to go to the pharmacy counter PITA, and Ibuprofen or aleve and the 2 work very well together. I had a CT done last week (?) and now have to follow up with an ENT. I have a slight deviated septum and a polyup so I am interested to hear waht they think is the best course of action. I do want to breathe better, but not sure if I am up for surgery.

Well, chicks, I need to go back to work. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Luv & HUGS!
  • Shad - what an ADORABLE picture. Geez those 2 babies are cuties She is getting so big. Wow.

Ellen - ooh on the sinus issues. Does not sound like an easy fix. Wish they had better over the counter meds to at least keep things under control. Good luck with that. Don't envy you at all. And you're too busy to be in an antihistamine fog.
  • Ellen
    I have a deviated septum, but I didn't have the polyp just a lot of scar tissue. They did surgery. My ENT was knife happy but like you I wanted to breathe. I'm glad I had the surgery but will not have it again. Hope the outcome is what you need. I'm doing well on Flonase and an antihistamine spray.

Shad
    Look at the happy grand mother. The baby has grown so big and look at those beautiful eyes.

Happy
    There nothing wrong with being home alone with your dh on New Years EVE. Have you thought about the rope lights to replace the garland on the stairs? That is strange that their would be only one set of foot prints.

Annie
    Wow, you did get a lot of snow. You can always count all that shoveling as exercise for the day. I would have been to cold to have been outside that long.
  • Good Sunday Morning....

C is asleep as he should be....Sassy is in my chair AGAIN. We are going to drop a truck load off at Goodwill today, then off to the pots and pans store to maybe spend my giftcard. Will go by dad's house to see how he is doing. Maybe take a meal to him.

CEEJAY...really? a day of exercise? haha, it is my year's worth as I hate exercising and do not do it ever. Bad Annie...lol

SHADDIE...Miss Sophia is absolutely gorgeous, just like her grandmomma. Too much cute in one picture....

HAPPY.....all your food sounds delish! I will drop by at 3, fix me a plate and a to go plate for dad...It is only 12 degrees out at the moment and my Cancun clan leave next week for the bi-annual trip. Not going this time. Boo! We have the storms and tornados here too so we get it all, the only thing we do not worry about is hurricanes, as we have had a few minor earthquakes in the past 5 years. I think my backyard is going to be a mud mess, maybe I will just plant it all in herbs..lol

Ellen...sorry your sinuses are giving you fits. At the moment my nose feels crusty inside and am having trouble breathing. Will have to shoot some salt water spray up there to get it moving. Hugs

CHELLE...hope you made it back home safely. Glad you had a wonderful time.

MELLIE...how's the alarms this weekend. Hope you stayed in and snuggled up with some good movies.

Gonna post before I lose it.

Loves and hugs
  • GOOD MORNING CHICKS
    GETTING A LATE START TO THE DAY. I SLEPT IN A BIT.
    OUR SNOW ONCE AGAIN GOT WASHED AWAY.
    WE KEEP DODGING THE BULLET OVER HERE.
    MAYBE ALL THIS RAIN IS COMING IN HANDY NOW
    NOTHINE ELSE IS NEW HERE. QUIET DAY YESTERDAY.
    HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT ONE TODAY.

ANNIE....I CAN'T SEE YOUR AVATAR OR IS IT JUST DARK??
    WAIT....IS IT SASSY IN BED???
    LOVED THE SNOWY PIC...SEND SOME HERE.
    SASSY'S BACKYARD IS FILLED TO THE BRIM!!
    HOPE DAD IS DOING OK. THINKING OF YOU BOTH
    ENJOY THE GIFTCARD. MORE POTS????

CEEJAY....THAT MAKES 2 OF US NOT ANSWERING THE DOOR!
    MY HOUSE IS A MESS AND I SHOULD BE PICKING UP TOO.
    THE ALARMS HAVE BEEN MINIMAL HERE. GOOD WEEKEND THANK YOU!
    HOPE YOURS IS TOO.

SHAD....I LOVE THAT PICTURE!!
    AND ISN'T MISS SOPHIA GROWING UP!!
    I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH SHE'S CHANGING.
    THAT GIRL IS ADORABLE

ELLEN.....WHEN OFFERED THE SURGERY I WAS LUCKY & KNEW A SURGEON.
    HE TOLD ME NOT TO GET IT. THAT QUITE A FEW PEOPLE DIDN'T BENEFIT.
    HE WAS AT THE TIME THE HEAD SURGEON FOR THE CHILDREN'S CLINIC IN COMUMBIA PRESBYTERIAN IN NYC.
    I WENT BACK TO HIM 10 YRS LATER AND HE GAVE ME THE SAME ADVICE.
    BUT THAT WAS OVER 20 YRS AGO NOW. I HAVE NOT BEEN SORRY.
    SOME PEOPLE I KNOW HAD GOOD LUCK.
    SOME PEOPLE HAD SCAR TISSUE GROW & IT WAS LIKE THE DEV. SEPTUM ALL OVER AGAIN.
    IT'S A CRAP SHOOT.
    I USE MUCINEX ALMOST EVERY DAY...NOT THE ONE WITH THE "D" ON THE LABEL.
    IT KEEPS THE MUCUS MOVING.
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION.

HAPPY....IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY...THE LITTLE NURSE YOU POSTED IS HOLDING AN ENEMA BULB!! ROFLMYAZZOFF!
    I WILL LAUGH ALL DAY NOT...THANKS!
    SAVE ME A MEATBALL SUB AND SOME NIBBLES FOR NYE!!!
    SOUNDS DELISH. JEN & RICHIE DON'T GO OUT EITHER ANYMORE.
    THEY CAN'T STAND THE DRUNKS.
    DH MAKES NO FOOTPRINTS??? MAYBE HE WALKS ON AIR!!! LOL
  • HAPPY....HERE YOU GO. A BANNISTER DECORATED FOR SPRING WITH AN ORANGE FLORAL GARLAND!!!
    SAFETY FIRST!!
    NOW YOU GAVE ME AN IDEA.
    I LIKE LIGHTS IN THE LIVINGROOM ON THE BOOKCASE.
    GOING TO STICK MY EASTER EGG LIGHTS BACK UP THERE.
    I COULD USE THEM ALL SEASONS!! LOL

• MEL~I love the Spring garland…just need a banister now. LOL I hope today continues to be quiet for you. Thanks for the advice, I will weigh all my options, and will prob hold off on the surgery for now because the septum is not bad, only has a slight “bend” Will have to see what they say about the polyup.

Annie~you sure were up early this morning! Have fun at the store today! Did the salt water spray help? I don’t mind using it, just can’t use it all the time, then it causes nose bleeds…can never win. and I LOVE the pic of Sassy!! Such a cutie!

Ceejay~Thanks for you input…I like to know what others have done, I have done the flonase but it didn’t seem to help much.

Happy~I was just thinking today that it was about time to start taking things down, we don’t have much, but it getting it all packed away so nothing breaks. But looking forward to having some of my living room back!

to everyone else!

So here I am back at work. So slow today, but I am sure it will pick up eventually. Yesterday was pretty nice, was not too busy until later afternoon, then we got a bunch of calls at once. Got some good sales. Dh and I decided to go out for dinner, we were just going to go to a small local bar and grill, but when we got there they were closed for the holiday, DH wanted to go to Tilted Kilt again, but I decided I wanted steaks, so we went to Texas Roadhouse. It was funny because DH ordered a smaller steak than I did, but I only had half of mine and brought the rest for lunch today. We did not stay out too late, went home and crashed. This morning came by way too soon. I am struggling here to stay awake, just realized that I made coffee an hour ago and never got any…

Our New Years plans are pretty simple, I have to work, but we should be closing early, and DH’s band is opening for another band so we are going there. DH is designated driver, but with how I am feeling, I may switch. I don’t know…we will see…he still owes me for all the time I was pregnant or nursing. ROFL

Well, I should get rolling. Have a great day ladies!!
  • Morning
    There's not much to tell. My shoulder is still painful. The muscle relaxers the doctor gave me puts me out. I may try a half this afternoon. I have had a heating pad on it for awhile yesterday.
    I need to make a quick run to Walmart to get some things for this week, especially New Years day. Then I'm going to enjoy thes rest of my day off. Work tomorrow.
  • Quick hello. Fri& Saturday's parties were nice enough. Off go dress for bf's family Christmas gathering. Back later or tomorrow. TTFN!!